credit to kdramafanusa at CSW's thread

Source: Twitch

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2009/10/first-l...ller-secret.php

Trailer Alerts

First Look at Thriller 시크릿 (Secret)

by X, October 1, 2009 2:39 PM

Action, Asia, Drama, Thriller

secretfn.jpg

Other than tying the knot with fellow thespian Seol Kyung-Gu in the most high profile celebrity marriage of the year, Song Yoon-Ah has kept quite the low profile as of late, waiting for a certain project of hers to finally find its way to theaters. That she ended up sharing leading honors with Cha Seung-Won for said project is kind of ironic, considering that both were last seen on TV in a set of dramas by the same PD/writer combo, 2008's pseudo meta drama (as in, purporting to give us a behind the scenes look at the TV industry, when in truth it was just another trendy potboiler) 온에어 (On Air) for Song, and this year's disgraceful mess 시티홀 (The City Hall) for Cha - and no, I didn't add that "the," its makers were brilliant enough to add it by themselves. Thankfully, their new project together looks a little more meaningful, much more so considering how long it has been waiting for a release.

시트릿 (Secret) had in fact been in the can for quite a few months, under the previous title 세이빙 마이 와이프 (Saving My Wife), which suggests the theme of the film. Cha plays a homicide detective whose wife (Song) ends up involved in a murder and - surprise surprise - Cha has to put his life on the line to save her (judging by the title, from being accused of the murder itself). This is Yoon Jae-Gu's first directorial effort since 1993, but he's likely more renowned for penning Won Shin-Yeon's thriller 세븐 데이즈 (Seven Days), which promises pretty decently for his big return on the director's chair. Release is set for November, and we have a tiny teaser, only thirty seconds or so.

ooh! i didn't know she recently got hitched. well, not very recent. i was a few months late. but.. congrats song yun ah and hubby! hope both of them will be happy forever. song yun ah's a great actress. her first drama that i watched was hotelier. great drama! i still love it to this day. she was so funny in on air! her acting in it must have made quite an impact on me cos there was this one time at the airport KFC when i freaked out like her in on air and my friend was like O.o whoa! you seem like song yun ah for a moment there! LOL! i hope i'll see SYA in a drama again soon

• 2 weeks later...

2009/11/19

(Movie Review)

Clever scenario, polished production in thriller 'Secret'

SEOUL, Nov. 19 (Yonhap) -- A good thriller never reveals the identity of the killer to its audience until the very last moment. An excellent thriller is often more concerned with the "why" factor than the "who" factor.

South Korean thriller "Secret" presents an intriguing -- if slightly overlong -- mixture of the crime and procedural genres with some very convincing ticking-clock elements thrown in for good measure.

Instead of relying on supernatural elements or grisly imageries, "Secret" sticks to grim, human-fueled mayhem and manages to save itself a largely satisfying hook in its final reel that has to do with "why" and "how," instead of "who" and "where."

20091119091250_bodyfile.jpg

An underground loan shark is found dead, stabbed three times by a seemingly novice killer. Searching the crime scene, detective Seong-yeol (Cha Seung-won) finds evidence indicating his wife (Song Yoon-ah) met the man on the day he died.

The case becomes more complicated when the dead man is found to be the sibling of a notorious gang leader who is desperate to find the killer before the police do, for a brutal payback.

With gangsters close on his heels, Seong-yeol tries to destroy the evidence and protect his wife while questioning her for the reasons. The wife, Ji-yeon, appears almost nonchalant about the situation and refuses to reveal where she was on the day of the crime.

20091119091301_bodyfile.jpg

Creator of the original screenplay of "Seven Days," director Yoon Jae-gu again proves a good story can make up for almost anything.

The film should be lauded for many elements including its hyper-charged design, refined cinematography as well as stable acting by all cast, but its forte appears to be in the sophisticated manner it shows in bringing together the vast sprawl of characters and incidents as it winds its way to a conclusion.

"Each character in the movie hides a secret that only makes sense as a whole when all are added together," director Yoon said after the movie's Seoul preview Wednesday.

Yoon Jae-kyun, the director of summer box office hit "Haeundae," said he decided to produce the movie "as soon as" he read the screenplay.

"I personally think story is the key element in all thrillers," he said in an earlier interview. "The scenario of 'Secret' totally blew me a way. I could not figure out why the man was murdered until the very end."

The only problem is that the movie appears a little bit too long as the director apparently strives to squeeze in the stories of more than a few characters into a two-hour movie. Thus Yoon's modes of storytelling may make the movie seem like a drag for impatient audiences when losing viewer attention is poison in a movie that only makes sense when all details are added up.

20091119091308_bodyfile.jpg

Actor Cha and actress Song, two of the "most wanted" stars in Korean tinseltown, give "Secret" a nice, anchoring presence, but it is the supporting actors who deserve real credit.

The supporting actors, Park Won-sang, Kim In-kwon and Ryu Seung-ryong, play their roles as if they have been designed for them, breathing in life and even some humor into this dark movie.

Tech credits are also polished and efficient all round with the director and cinematographer giving the movie a modern, shimmering feeling. Director Yoon boasted the movie will seem no less polished than any U.S. crime hit.

"Secret," with a running time of 111 minutes, will hit the local theaters Dec. 3.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

credits as quoted

[Yonhap News]

S. Korean actress Song Yoon-ah

Nov. 20, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actress Song Yoon-ah who stars in the new movie "Secret," a story of a detective who tries to cover up evidence of a murder believed to have been committed by his wife. The movie will be released in South Korea on Dec. 3. (Yonhap)

PYH2009112008910034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008840034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008850034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008830034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008930034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008870034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008880034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008970034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009112008980034400_P2.jpg

credit fr secret thread

Guest chatteraddict

Im excited about Secret, always loved SYA and the movie recieving a positive review...its just sad i have to wait for the dvd..

Ive been rewatching On Air and i just cant get over how much i love her there. And it makes me smile when i watched Lost In Love a couple of days ago, thinking those two are married in real life, i like that movie, i think its SYA's best performance..

Btw Demen thanks for pics, i always visit this thread! I just got a copy of My Older Sister and excited to watch it as soon as i get the time, have you seen it? Is it any good?

Im excited about Secret, always loved SYA and the movie recieving a positive review...its just sad i have to wait for the dvd..

Ive been rewatching On Air and i just cant get over how much i love her there. And it makes me smile when i watched Lost In Love a couple of days ago, thinking those two are married in real life, i like that movie, i think its SYA's best performance..

Btw Demen thanks for pics, i always visit this thread! I just got a copy of My Older Sister and excited to watch it as soon as i get the time, have you seen it? Is it any good?

hi chatteraddict :P

My Older Sister (Nuna) is quite slowly at first 5 episodes, but then it's better & better & very impressive at last

SYA's character is rather weird at beginning, then she improved, she looks match w/ Kim Seung Soo in that drama too

Do enjoy it & share your opinion huh :D

Guest chatteraddict

Hey Demenn

Im actually excited to see the drama though im a little worried cause its 55 episodes, did it become draggy halfway? though im sure i'd enjoy watching SYA in every episode!

Guest chatteraddict

augh!! i started watching the first 2 episode, i like it, but the eng subs are horrible! I couldnt understand half of what they're saying, do you happen to know where to get or watch it with good subs?