Receding gums, how to reverse it?

Guest onnetwothreefour

Guest onnetwothreefour
natural remedies, etc.
I had a tongue piercing that scraped the back of my bottom teeth's gums and a good part of it receded. I no longer have the tongue ring but every year it has been getting worse so I have been looking for remedies that can reverse or at least stop it for good. I heard that white oak bark works very well on this? Has anyone tried it? What else have you done or heard of?

Guest L_A_A

Gum recession can not be reversed.

If it's due to trauma it can sometimes heal back, but if it is true gum recession it will not grow back.

To maintain the gum you have left in that area, make sure you brush well (not hard) in that area.

There are surgical grafting options if it is that important to you

Hope this helps!

i have receded gums from aggressive brushing. used to think all the blood was due to bacteria so i brushed even harder and i did that for like 10 years O_O

now i have severe receded gums. i brush VERY soft now with a soft bristle and floss every day. make sure its very soft. flossing is more important.

i brushed hard thinking it will make my teeth whiter too.

also dont use whitening mouthwash or products. those are bad for the gums.

use sensodyne toothpaste. (i heard but not entirely sure yet)

surgical procedures such as gum graft are VERY expensive. im still considering them. $500-$1000 per teeth. some periodontist offer plans like several teeth for $1000, etc.

Guest onnetwothreefour

thanks for the replies guys! A friend of mine said he used white oak bark powder and now rinses with hydrogen peroxide and his receding has stopped, im going to give that a try. (always consult a physician before trying remedies)

Guest onnetwothreefour

don't forget to dilute the hydrogen peroxide!!

Thanks for bringing that up! I forgot to mention it in my last post

Guest mireillesan

Throw out toothpaste, mouthwashes, etc away. They do more damage than good. Avoid fluoride like hell, so watch out for the type of floss you use.

Brush your teeth after every meal with pure (cold pressed) coconut oil. I use the brand Amanprana. Use floss without fluoride as mentioned above. What also helps is buying a mouth richard simmons, such as "Waterpik."

Guest -master papaya-

^ Why avoid fluoride? Till date, there is no credible evidence to show the adverse effects of fluoride application. If you review the epidemiology statistics in any country that has accessible fluoride vehicles (e.g. fluoridated water, fluoride toothpaste and etc), you will realize there is substantial evidence to prove the benefits of using fluoride (you can also refer to WHO website). That being said, the incidence of fluorosis is rising but the majority of cases is categorized under "mild" - which is ironically regarded by society as "more attractive" since teeth with mild fluorosis appear aesthetically whiter. Fluorosis is caused by the ingestion of large amounts of fluoride before the age of 8 years. Drinking water with well-regulated fluoride levels and brushing twice daily with adult-strength toothpaste (1,000ppm fluoride) will not cause any harm in an individual who is older than 8 years old.

As mentioned above, gum recession cannot be reversed (without surgical intervention). However, the condition can be arrested. Gum recession has many aetiological factors - it can be due to toothbrush abrasion or induced by the presence of pathogenic bacteria. I am not sure what caused gum recession in your friend but hydrogen peroxide has antibacterial properties so it could have eliminated the bacteria and stabilized the recession. Low concentration hydrogen peroxide may be used for acute ulcerative gum infections but only for a short period of time (2 weeks). If your primary concern is the recession of your gums, I would not recommend using it. As for the use of coconut oil, there is no scientific evidence to show it will reverse let alone arrest gum recession. Best to consult your dentist and have your condition properly diagnosed. Hope this helps (:

Guest mireillesan

' date='05 June 2011 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1307259612' post='17181875']

^ Why avoid fluoride? Till date, there is no credible evidence to show the adverse effects of fluoride application.

I beg to differ. Fluoride is highly toxic! Your teeth become discolored and crumble and you get gum disease.

After quickly browsing for an example, maybe this link will help.

There are countless of studies and tests that prove how toxic fluoride is! Just search the internet.

Coconut oil worked for me. I'm just sharing my personal experience. It's worth the try if onnetwothreefour wants to get better gums/teeth.

I've started using it for about two years and I get one compliment after another from both my dentist and orthodontist. I no longer have sensitive teeth either.

I can easily eat cold foods without cringing. All the problems I used to have, are all gone thanks to coconut oil. :)

Guest -master papaya-

The most important factor is the amount of fluoride you apply and/or consume. I agree that fluoride can lead to discoloured, crumbling, brittle teeth but bear in mind, these are typical characteristics of moderate or severe fluorosis and as I have mentioned previously -

"..the majority of cases is categorized under "mild" - which is ironically regarded by society as "more attractive" since teeth with mild fluorosis appear aesthetically whiter. Fluorosis is caused by the ingestion of large amounts of fluoride before the age of 8 years. Drinking water with well-regulated fluoride levels and brushing twice daily with adult-strength toothpaste (1,000ppm fluoride) will not cause any harm in an individual who is older than 8 years old."

Fluoride serves to (1) arrest the progression of decay and (2) make our teeth less soluble by replacing the carbonate component in our teeth with fluoride.

Also, no disease in the world can be caused by a single element. All diseases have multifactorial aetiology. As for fluoride, it cannot and does not cause gum disease. There are many different types of gum disease with different clinical and histopathological manifestations so if you are interested, you can refer to the newest edition of a textbook called "Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry" by Lindhe et al. However, to sum it all in a nutshell, the aetiology of gum disease involves the interplay between bacteria (i.e. poor oral hygiene), host defense cells, genetics (in some types of gum disease) and/or modifying risk factors (e.g. smoking, the health of an individual's constitution).

Recession can be a clinical finding of gum disease but it can also be caused by toothbrush abrasion (i.e. heavy friction caused by tooth-brushing).

There are countless of studies and investigations that also show how beneficial fluoride is. Reading research literature is akin to reading the newspaper or googling information on the internet. Not all the information is deemed reliable and the degree of reliability is also important. Before absorbing all the information from research papers, it is always crucial to know which journals published the papers and to analyze the type of studies that have been conducted - how they rank in the hierarchy of evidence. Always maintain a critical mind when reading research articles because a lot of them do have publication bias.

I apologize if I offended you in any possible way. I just found your posts very intriguing and stimulating (: And I am very glad that coconut oil has improved your oral health, perhaps I will try to read up more on it!

Guest Kiwidots

' date='05 June 2011 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1307259612' post='17181875']

^ Why avoid fluoride? Till date, there is no credible evidence to show the adverse effects of fluoride application.

Wow, such a detailed and well-written response. If you don't mind me asking, are you a dental student?

Not to be too-off topic, but I was thinking about getting gum reduction surgery for my super gummy smile and now I'm re-thinking it since gum tissue seems to be so ...precious.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, such a detailed and well-written response. If you don't mind me asking, are you a dental student?

Not to be too-off topic, but I was thinking about getting gum reduction surgery for my super gummy smile and now I'm re-thinking it since gum tissue seems to be so ...precious.

WOW. GUMS ARE INCREDIBLY PRECIOUS. DONT YOU DARE THINK ABOUT REDUCING THEM. THEY RECEDE VERY EASILY.

• 3 years later...
Guest DenverSmith1

Receding gums often come with other problems that can make eating a real challenge. Soreness, Redness and bleeding gums usually accompany receding gums. Use of some natural oils can reverse the process of receding gums. Before taking any step you must consult a good dentist. Gum Recession Las Vegas has all the procedures and solutions related to gum recession

Guest Aarensmith

The best way to prevent gum recession is to take good care of your mouth. Brush and floss your teeth every day and see your dentist or periodontist at least twice a year, or as recommended. If you have gum recession, your dentist may want to see you more often.
Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush and ask your dentist to show you the proper way to brush your teeth. If a misaligned bite or teeth grinding is the cause of gum recession, talk to your dentist about how to correct the problem. Other ways to prevent gum recession include:
if you smoke.

• Eat a well balanced and healthy diet 
  • Monitor changes that may occur in your mouth.

• 3 months later...
Guest mahtabpartovi_stv

Gum recession is a big problem for almost every people now a days . But this problem can be resolved easily by having the proper advice from the professional dentist and do use of prescribed medicines as suggested by the Dentist so that you will be over come this very problem as soon as possible.

Archived