Sour snack - Jeruk/Asam

Guest yuiyean

Guest yuiyean

S.E.Asian pickle lovers?
I've yet to see any thread on this topic yet so here it goes.

I'm a big fan of sour food (citrus, lemon etc) but I'm also a big fan of pickled fruits that can be either eaten with rice or just snack it on its own. Can even make drinks out of them. >_< Ones in my country are colorful at times. Other times dried and crumpled.

What about you?

Young mango pickle. Eat as it is.

jeruk1.jpg

Buah Salak (Salacca zalacca)

salak.jpg

Typical jeruk/pickle stall in Malaysia

3196054973_52644f5204.jpg

Photo0507.jpg

Asam boi - red/white or balck.Eat as it is or make drinks or ice lolly with it.

asamboi_putih.jpgasamboi.jpgeskim1.jpg4295245418_93ab99e5c7.jpg

Acar buah - Fruit pickles to be eaten with rice

acar-buah.jpg

Acar sayur - Vege mix to be eaten with rice

acar1.jpg

Pics credit to its owners. I own none.

I like the mango jeruk.. Especially those hard2 ones...

or kedongdong (sp?).. the round green pickle..

it's kedondong ^^

man I love these things so much. You know those carts that sell Jeruk in front of every Giant supermarket entrance?

I always seize the chance to buy some, the fresh guava + asam is my favorite .heck all of the bottom front row of the 4th picture are all my faves. MMMM, wish I can run to the nearest Giant and get some!

I took my SPM last year, funny how people always avoided jeruk/asam when it's due time to their SPM/PMR. I never did and nothing bad ever really happened to me. I still have a good brain here on my head. but then again...I could be smarter XD

and and those Acar Buah ( supposed to be acar buah, right? not acar sayur?) I always look forward to them during weddings, those are the only times I can have them.

I think this is the longest post I've made

Photo0507.jpg

why do they not have this here?

it looks so convenient the way it's organized

*drools*

it looks so gooooooood

i love sour stuff and pickled vegetables are yummy!

Guest yuiyean

_taRa__03:

Yep, I've been told countless time not to take sour food because "they'll make you stupid". SO far I did fine even though I can eat them non-stop for days (or at least until my stomach disagree)!

It's called acar buah as it is made of cherries, raisins and all those tiny fruits things. I always steal the cherries away and leave the rest for my elders. >_<

vip_gd:

Pretty sure you can get them at asian markets. Or make them yourself. The recipe is simple and quick - add vinegar.

about that acar buah, XD that was a mistake. Just below the picture of it is the name of the next dish, last time I came to this thread it didn't upload so I thought you named the acar buah, acar sayur.

Funny though, I've never had any acar buah with cherries/raisins in them. Were you talking about those red things in the picture? They're a type of plums you see

Guest yuiyean

I had acar buah with raisins, probably because it's homemade by my grand mom and auntie. ^^ Yeah, I think its plum too now that I think about it. Taste like one of those jeruk I bought from Jusco.

• 1 month later...
Guest EscR4Fantasy

i love pickled food. i heard my ancestors on my mom's side was really good at it and at one point owned a big pickled store. too bad i dont get along with that side :/

Archived