Japanese Straight Perm Question

Guest luv4dawave

Guest luv4dawave

Any girls out there got advice?
Hey--

I just got my hair straightened 2 days ago, and I know that you aren't supposed to wash it 2-3 days after.

But my hairstylist didn't say anything about hair-ties and clips,

so I have been tying my hair with hair bands.

And then I researched and found out that it was a big no-no along with a sleeping position? :huh:

But my hair still seems straight...

Question: how will tying my hair up affect it? It wasn't tied very tightly.

also, did sleeping on my back really affect it?

And lastly, is it ok to wash it 2 days after instead of 3?

Is 3 better?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

>>Please close if this is a duplicate--I couldn't find a place to fit it in the Official Thread, sorry (T T") or if this isn't allowed!

Thanks again!

Guest Angel_luvusa

I haven't done japanese straightening, but a cheap version of it..

My hairdresser said it was a bad idea to tie it for the first few days (and to "avoid" it as much as possible afterward) because it can possibly give your hair creases.

I haven't heard anything about sleeping on it though.. I guess you also risk the chance of creasing your hair if you sleep on it all scrunched up? But i wouldn't worry about that too much..

And as far as washing it goes, I got told that the longer you can go without washing it, the straighter and longer it will last.

g/l =]

Guest veryberry

I got a japanese perm before. Make sure you dont get your hair wet during the 2-3 days because it will go back to normal. I had to learn the hard way and

i got it wet on the second day. It is better to do it after thrid day(thats my hairstylist told me)

Guest *은혜

I got magic straight before, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

But I didn't wash my hair for like five days. (Ewwww.) It was still super smooth and super straight though. (=

And I wouldn't take any chances with the hair tie. Just leave it down! Show off you nice new hair.

And sleeping, Just sleep so that you hair is not being creased.

Keep in mind that I got magic straight, and I'm not sure if its the same thing.

Guest telegraph

A good measure of the procedure involves straightening your hair over and over again after soaking it in the chemicals. This forces the hair to maintain that straight appearance. If you tie up your hair, it forms a bend in your hair, so if you're not careful that bend will be there even after you wash your hair = weird semi straight hair. It should be okay for you to sleep on your back. Just avoid putting your hair up, and I even tried not to put my hair behind my ears, because that makes a bend too. Wash after 3 days just to be safe.

Guest jellyfishy

i got this perm a few months ago. tying your hair will make little dents in it. it's possible to have those dents even if you tie it loosely. i washed my hair after 3 days and didn't tie it for a week to be safe.

Guest NEYUGN93

My aunt permed my hair for me 3 years ago and she told me to not to tie it up cos you'll get creases or whatever.

Sleeping ? I just slept normally and didn't effect my hair at all.

Guest starrie

I don't know if japanese straight perm is the same as magic straight in Korea but generally you should not be tying your hair to avoid creases in your hair. If you want to make sure it stays super straight, you can always use a straightener and straighten it again. My sister always does that with her hair.

Guest x SaRaNg HaE x

I've done Japanese straight perms every year since I was in 8th grade, LOL. (I'm a sophomore in college now. ;D)

DO NOT tie your hair up! Your hair is pretty much "setting", so it can be easily manipulated, meaning that if you wear a hair tie during this time, it'll bend your hair and it'll "set" like that! I have side bangs too and I don't clip them up because a bobby pin can cause a weird-looking groove on your hair.

I also try to sleep on my back with my hair underneath my head. If I wake up and my hair is messy, I brush it and leave it.

Try not to touch your hair too; it gets oily REALLY quickly. I always wait the full 3 days even if I'm extremely tempted to just wash it. It's better to wait for all the chemicals to set so you don't jeopardize your perm (and perms are expensive!).

Guest bee_mused

I did the korean straight perm a few weeks ago and I learned my lessons the hard way T_T

- do not wash your hair after just two days...I got mine done just before I went on vacation, and I couldn't walking around with super greasy hair. I washed after two days and it's not that straight anymore.

- be careful of how you sleep. the best position would be on your side, but not laying directly on your hair. I slept on my side and woke up in the morning with a slight flip in my hair. My hairdresser said I could just restraighten it with a straightening iron, but it would be best if you didn't have to do that.

- do not tie hair/wear clips/wear hats for a week! I clipped back my bangs on the first and there was a dent afterwards. (I didn't mind because I was planning on washing my bangs, since I didn't want them straightened anyhow).

- try to stay away from swimming pools. I went swimming 2-3 times a few days after the perm, and my hair got super damaged from the chlorine.

I trimmed off all the parts damaged from the chlorine (about an inch off the ends of my hair), and I've been doing treatments pretty often, so my hair isn't as damaged anymore. I would even say it's softer + shinier than it originally was! It's not pin straight like it was when I got it done, but it's bearable.

Archived