What's The Average Height For Korean?

Guest cmallanie

Guest dudnaito

I think the most current average is 173.6 cm for guys and 161.1 cm for women which is not too different from US averages but taller than Japan and Singapore and China.

My nephews and nieces are all super tall though my family isn't esp tall. 2 of my nephews who are in their teens are 6'2. My niece is 5'10 and my other nephew is only 13 but is 6 ft tall already. None of my sisters married really tall korean guys either.

I think Koreans are getting taller because of better nutrition and their mongolian blood. Mongolians are pretty tall.

correct, 173-174 cm is the average height for a s. korean male. Koreans are probably the most height-anal people on the planet, and it shows. There are customized milks, and several notable "height" clinics in korea that actually go through urine and manure samples to check your hormonal and dietary patterns, and help in the construction of various stretching and dietary plans to maximize your genetic potential. Further, a researcher in Korea University actually states that only 30% of our height can be attributed to our genetics, which is contradictory to what we have been told so far. I'm around 176 cm, and i felt rather short in korea. I assure you the only reason that the average height is 173-174 is because the older generation is dragging the number down. The high-schoolers in korea are much taller. In my estimation and observation, i would imagine that the average "Seoul" high-schooler is easily 175-176. Korean girls are also getting taller although nowhere near the growth rise of the boys... perhaps because it is culturally inconsequential for there to be tall girls relative to tall boys. It's like a friend of mine said, "our parents robbed us of at least 2 inches." If we were living in korea, i would probably be 180 cm, just because of the greater concern of my diet and exercise.

And to whoever said, 12 years can't make a difference? WHAT???? S. Korea is a country that was poorer than Somalia just 60 years ago, and is now a top 10-11 economic power. You don't think that makes a difference?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ichigo_no_powder

There are a couple of Korean girls who moved from Korea when school started at my school.

They look pretty short to me. They're around 5'2-5'5ish.

same, if not shorter.

the koreans in korea are definitely taller than the korean-americans.

i'm 5'9" and i felt like a midget whenever i took the subway or walked around. it seemed like atleast half of the guys (17-22?) were atleast 6 feet..

there is also a huge gap between older and younger generations. good nutrition can do wonders.

yeah.i found out that korean gals are real tall man..has been to korea last month and was quite depressed..hahax..cos most gals are my height or shorter than mi in spore..hahax. i m 5'6''..hmn,i wana grow taller to 170cm help!!hahax..

Guest Appolpai

Don't South Koreans take growth pills or something? I heard that a lot of guys do. My cousin has a Korean friend and he says his friend takes growth pills. It's really painful because it stretches your bones or something like that, but he did get taller from it.

Guest cmallanie

Don't South Koreans take growth pills or something? I heard that a lot of guys do. My cousin has a Korean friend and he says his friend takes growth pills. It's really painful because it stretches your bones or something like that, but he did get taller from it.

Whoaa really? but what's the side effect though? Is it really bad? I heard that it makes your bone brittles is that true? if not, where can you get it? :blink:

• 1 year later...

That census of 161[female] and 173[male] is rather old considering it's 2008. The height has probably increased at least an inch or so.

I'm a full Korean girl [moved to america at age 7. 16 now] and I'm 172cm. I'm still growing. My mom is 160. My dad is 176 and my older sister of five years is 171 or 172. I guess it could be genes but I would say the other part would be the nuitrion difference in Koreans in america and Koreans in Korea. Whenever I go to church, every woman/girl is so short! They wear like six inch heels to look taller than I am. I would say the average probably is 161 for the older ladies but it could be up to 163 for the younger generation. For the guys around my age, they're tall but not too tall. I would guess the average would be about 176 but up to like 186.

Guest suzie_q_012

woah wait.. i always thought asians were generally speaking.. pretty short...?

(i'm not being racist~ i'm 100% koreann)

Or maybe it's like.. the Koreans here in U.S. are just.. shorter than like.. ACTUAL Koreans living in KOREA.

idk.. my friends and i are like.. 5:4 or less.

the actual FOBs though are like.. average to medium and then there are the talll ones.

My bestfriend (linuhhparkk) is two years younger than me...

AND SHE'S FREAKING 5'8.

I'm only like... 5'3-4 and i hate standing next to her... well.. i do stand next to her anyways...

and she's an American born citizen..

oh yeah

and one of my other good friends (she's Chinese)

she's like.. 2 months younger than me and she's REALLY tall. Like.. 5'9 tall.. ish..?

something like that.

and linuhhparkks dad was tall and so was my chinese friends dad.

BUT MY SISTER.. she's like.. 7 years older than me.. and she's 5'8 ish. She's ALWAYS been tall. she's the tallest one in our family.. which is quite weird.. my dad is SHORTTT and my mom is like.. Medium short.

it doesn't make any sense...

Guest fatcupoftea

I think it really depends.

I have a friend who moved from South Korea when he was 13 and he's 6'0 maybe? and his younger sister is 5'7 (guessing...she might just look taller because she's SUPER thin).

I was in SF all summer at an art program and there were a LOT of S. Korean people (like fobs)in the college program and the guys probably averaged around 5'9, but almost all of the girls were definately shorter than me (I'd guess around 160-ish cm).

I have this theory though that I'm actually suppose to be taller than I am (seeing as I am 5'4 and my sister is 5'8), but because I was a fatty little kid when I was younger I stunted my growth...gravity was working against me. xD

Guest oneandonlysarang

o.o tall people. i want to keep growing

im like 5'5 or 5'6 :'( although im taller

than some of my friends i think im short still :\

Guest virvir111

i honestly think it has to do with the diet.. in like south korea.. alot of korean american are like 5 foot 3 to like 5 foot 6,, but in like south korea.. they are some tall girls lol.. i personally think its their diet there.. they eat lotta vegetables,, n drink hella milk lol,, also tall pills.. guys take em too.. but they are just vitamins.. expensive too..

Guest inspired04

the koreans in korea are definitely taller than the korean-americans.

yeah, especially the guys. most of the guys i saw were at least 6'0 (perfect ^^). i'm not so sure about the girls because in korea, they all wear heels, all the time.

i was born in america..i'm 172 cm (female) and i feel like i'm always towering over my korean friends.

I'm pretty sure that people from the larger cities in any part of East Asia (like Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing, etc.) are taller than people from smaller cities due to better access and (parent's) knowledge about nutrition.

I'm between 5'7" and 5'8" - I was born in Korea but moved here when I was young. I've noticed I am taller than almost all of my Korean friends here.

Guest MeiHearts

kinda makes sense that the south is taller

since height, though depended on genes, also highly depends on nutrition... i'd think that SK has a better nutrition

Archived