[Drama 2012] BIG 빅

the girl who!

Shajoona  ... dear, why are you so mad??? it's only a drama xDDD please ... calm down! ^^ 
I'm agree with you that both Daran and Kyung Joon aren't choosing the smartest decisions of their lifes ... but this is only the 5th episode!!!  girls , please xD the story is only starting and I don't think that Kyung Joon ( if that's his real intention ) will be living as Yoon Jae for more time .... even if he needs to live like Yoon Jae because he don't have another option I can't beleive he's thinking in throw away everything only for Daran 
In a certain point Yoon Kae must wake up and the real drama will start! 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest altinneen

are teacher student relationships cool in Korea? I mean legal and looked at favorably. Every other K drama seems to encourage it

Shajoona  ... dear, why are you so mad??? it's only a drama xDDD please ... calm down! ^^ 
I'm agree with you that both Daran and Kyung Joon aren't choosing the smartest decisions of their lifes ... but this is only the 5th episode!!!  girls , please xD the story is only starting and I don't think that Kyung Joon ( if that's his real intention ) will be living as Yoon Jae for more time .... even if he needs to live like Yoon Jae because he don't have another option I can't beleive he's thinking in throw away everything only for Daran 
In a certain point Yoon Kae must wake up and the real drama will start! 

Guest 68dragon

I almost never have time to post on Soompi but the proliferation of inaccuracies about the plot and character motivations truly does a disservice to this amazingly nuanced drama by the Hong Sisters as a reinvention of their own works. I hope fans of this drama can set aside their biases for their favorite actors and actresses and take the time to let the dialogue and story sink in.
1. This is the story about Kang Kyung Joon, an 18 year old boy who suddenly finds himself in the body of a 30 year old man. Forget Shin Won Ho or Gong Yoo's face. Forget picking the character that either actor originated. When you watch Kyung Jae, you should see the "character" of Kyung Joon, as expressed in the body of Yoon Jae. The childish temper, the self-doubt, the longing, the bursts of maturity, the lingering sadness, the conviction of picking the right choice under the most unknown of circumstances.
2. Da Ran did nothing wrong at all, and is in fact the most fascinating Hong Sisters heroine since Anna Jo. At first glance she seems flaky, but she's actually got it quite together. She seems weak, but then she puts Se Young in her place and is willing to get confirmation of Yoon Jae's maybe cheating. She seems oblivious yet she is completely understanding of Kyung Jae's needs. She hands Kyung Jae the plane ticket not because she's getting rid of him, but because she's supporting his decision to run away. Did you all forget Kyung Jae tried to run away in episode 3, and she berated him for being a child and picking running away as as solution? In episode 5, she's come to see him AS Kyung Joon, and she supports what Kyung Joon (who is yet young) would want to do. She thanks him and apologizes for putting him through pretending to be Yoon Jae for the past period of time. 
What's so marvelous is watching Da Ran see Kyung Jae as Kyung Joon gradually, this change that she probably doesn't even realize was happening. Initially it was about preserving Yoon Jae's body, preserving Yoon Jae's life, but now she wants Kyung Joon to figure out what he wants to do. What if the bodies don't switch back? Kyung Joon is smart enough to realize he needs to prepare for that contingency, which is why he's leaving for the US to study. He's not leaving to impress Da Ran or come back to win her heart. He's leaving to take care of his own future should he remain as Yoon Jae. He tossed out the "When I come back I'll marry you" because he's still a kid and that is his way of revealing his feelings for Da Ran. He does it in that typical Kyung Joon way - snarking and slightly teasing, but accompanied by his piercing insolent stare.

3. This drama is rife with symbolism and parallels that really add depth to what can be just a simple scene. Like in episode 5, when Da Ran is leaving Se Young's, and Kyung Jae just slowly follows behind her. This harkens back to their first meeting, when she told him not to follow her, and later when they meet again at school, he teasingly asks if its okay for him to follow her? We see throughout the first five episodes that Kyung Joon/Kyung Jae is always following behind Da Ran physically, which mirrors his comparatively youth and emotional state. As Yoon Jae he gets to bridge the gap. Big is the story of how Kyung Joon does it and how it creates a domino effect all around. It's so early in the game that anything can happen, so why get fixated on your preferred pairing. It's like missing the forest for the trees. 
This drama deserves to be savored for its willingness to subvert ingrained drama expectations. With the time jump, it's like turning the corner and discovering a brand new vista. Take a closer look around before rendering conclusions that may or may not be accurate at this point. 

Guest sunshine4ever

Can someone explain why Yoon Jae's mother decided that Se Young was the best choice for him? I'm not going to buy into the idea that the "concerned' phone call was the deciding factor nor would I believe that even with said vote of confidence that Se Young would take it upon herself to move into his home without so much as a chat with him to see what he wanted. 

Do we have any indication of what Se Young was doing while Yoon Jae was in the states "cramming" because I find it odd that things would simply pick up where they left off for these tow considering everything that has happened and the whole, and I'm paraphrasing, "we want to be together" (from episode 3) and the subsequent hints that Yoon Jae wanted little-to-nothing to do with her. 

I do like the little "going to [be a] war" bit in the preview but I still have a hard time seeing Da Ran as a "strong" opponent to Se Young charms/underhandedness/scheming ways [kind of like an older version of Ma Ri (wll Ma Ri is mostly harmless though --- just scary stalker)]. 

Guest qqq123

There is also a different point of view:

KJ is stuck in YJ's body. He has no idea if he can change this, let alone how. So, is it really about "giving up himself" or "doing what's best under the circumstances"? I think it's the latter.

He cannot behave as himself whaile he is in another's body - he has to impersonate him or be deemed crazy by everyone around. And, since he is already in that position, he will try to woo the woman he (it can be presumed) he loves - DR.

DR herself does not know how to react - and the situation is quite messed up. She is disillusioned with YJ and cannot take KJ seriously (yet?).

Also, he sees MaRi as a friend, but has no othrt feelings for her. Even in the first episodes, it is obvious her feelings for him are not only not reciprocated, they are a burden to him. So, I cannot really symathize with her character.

Well - we'll wait and see. The drama is fun - and should be treated as such. In this body-suitching fantasy can anyone truly say that KJ is still a student and a minor :D

Can someone explain why Yoon Jae's mother decided that Se Young was the best choice for him? I'm not going to buy into the idea that the "concerned' phone call was the deciding factor nor would I believe that even with said vote of confidence that Se Young would take it upon herself to move into his home without so much as a chat with him to see what he wanted. 

Do we have any indication of what Se Young was doing while Yoon Jae was in the states "cramming" because I find it odd that things would simply pick up where they left off for these tow considering everything that has happened and the whole, and I'm paraphrasing, "we want to be together" (from episode 3) and the subsequent hints that Yoon Jae wanted little-to-nothing to do with her. 

I do like the little "going to [be a] war" bit in the preview but I still have a hard time seeing Da Ran as a "strong" opponent to Se Young charms/underhandedness/scheming ways [kind of like an older version of Ma Ri (wll Ma Ri is mostly harmless though --- just scary stalker)]. 

I almost never have time to post on Soompi but the proliferation of inaccuracies about the plot and character motivations truly does a disservice to this amazingly nuanced drama by the Hong Sisters as a reinvention of their own works. I hope fans of this drama can set aside their biases for their favorite actors and actresses and take the time to let the dialogue and story sink in.

1. This is the story about Kang Kyung Joon, an 18 year old boy who suddenly finds himself in the body of a 30 year old man. Forget Shin Won Ho or Gong Yoo's face. Forget picking the character that either actor originated. When you watch Kyung Jae, you should see the "character" of Kyung Joon, as expressed in the body of Yoon Jae. The childish temper, the self-doubt, the longing, the bursts of maturity, the lingering sadness, the conviction of picking the right choice under the most unknown of circumstances.

2. Da Ran did nothing wrong at all, and is in fact the most fascinating Hong Sisters heroine since Anna Jo. At first glance she seems flaky, but she's actually got it quite together. She seems weak, but then she puts Se Young in her place and is willing to get confirmation of Yoon Jae's maybe cheating. She seems oblivious yet she is completely understanding of Kyung Jae's needs. She hands Kyung Jae the plane ticket not because she's getting rid of him, but because she's supporting his decision to run away. Did you all forget Kyung Jae tried to run away in episode 3, and she berated him for being a child and picking running away as as solution? In episode 5, she's come to see him AS Kyung Joon, and she supports what Kyung Joon (who is yet young) would want to do. She thanks him and apologizes for putting him through pretending to be Yoon Jae for the past period of time. 

What's so marvelous is watching Da Ran see Kyung Jae as Kyung Joon gradually, this change that she probably doesn't even realize was happening. Initially it was about preserving Yoon Jae's body, preserving Yoon Jae's life, but now she wants Kyung Joon to figure out what he wants to do. What if the bodies don't switch back? Kyung Joon is smart enough to realize he needs to prepare for that contingency, which is why he's leaving for the US to study. He's not leaving to impress Da Ran or come back to win her heart. He's leaving to take care of his own future should he remain as Yoon Jae. He tossed out the "When I come back I'll marry you" because he's still a kid and that is his way of revealing his feelings for Da Ran. He does it in that typical Kyung Joon way - snarking and slightly teasing, but accompanied by his piercing insolent stare.

3. This drama is rife with symbolism and parallels that really add depth to what can be just a simple scene. Like in episode 5, when Da Ran is leaving Se Young's, and Kyung Jae just slowly follows behind her. This harkens back to their first meeting, when she told him not to follow her, and later when they meet again at school, he teasingly asks if its okay for him to follow her? We see throughout the first five episodes that Kyung Joon/Kyung Jae is always following behind Da Ran physically, which mirrors his comparatively youth and emotional state. As Yoon Jae he gets to bridge the gap. Big is the story of how Kyung Joon does it and how it creates a domino effect all around. It's so early in the game that anything can happen, so why get fixated on your preferred pairing. It's like missing the forest for the trees. 

This drama deserves to be savored for its willingness to subvert ingrained drama expectations. With the time jump, it's like turning the corner and discovering a brand new vista. Take a closer look around before rendering conclusions that may or may not be accurate at this point. 

There is also a different point of view:

KJ is stuck in YJ's body. He has no idea if he can change this, let alone how. So, is it really about "giving up himself" or "doing what's best under the circumstances"? I think it's the latter.

He cannot behave as himself whaile he is in another's body - he has to impersonate him or be deemed crazy by everyone around. And, since he is already in that position, he will try to woo the woman he (it can be presumed) he loves - DR.

DR herself does not know how to react - and the situation is quite messed up. She is disillusioned with YJ and cannot take KJ seriously (yet?).

Also, he sees MaRi as a friend, but has no othrt feelings for her. Even in the first episodes, it is obvious her feelings for him are not only not reciprocated, they are a burden to him. So, I cannot really symathize with her character.

Well - we'll wait and see. The drama is fun - and should be treated as such. In this body-suitching fantasy can anyone truly say that KJ is still a student and a minor :D

Guest jordi

Arghhhhh :(
FULL RATINGS

5th episode
AGB:Nationwide: 8,0% (+0,1%)Seoul: 9,3% (+0,4%)
TNS:
Nationwide: 7,3% (-0,3%)Seoul: 8,4% (-0,5%)

MBC Lights & Shadows leads - AGB: 18,9% / 22,0% ; TNS: 18,9% / 22,5%SBS CHASER - AGB: 11,5% / 12,4% ; TNS: 13,2% / 14,5%

This drama is extremely addicting! I am so in love with KJ ( in his original body and in YJ body ) :x it has that hong sister touch. Which I love!

KJ in this drama def. breaks my heart, because this boy has gone through so much alone. So I am desperately hoping that he will def. have a happy ending.

I am expecting sad and happy moments in the upcoming episodes! hong sisters don't let me down...but they never have. ;;)

tumblr_m5pk2vZguZ1qcjijho3_250.giftumblr_m5pk2vZguZ1qcjijho4_250.gif
tumblr_m5pk2vZguZ1qcjijho4_400.gif

I can not wait to see scenes like these soon!

I don't know how i am going to survive another week once the new episode ends tomorrow
:-??

Archived