[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2010-02-01

Kim Mi-sook Has Romance with Man 19 Years Her Junior in New Drama

Actress Kim Mi-sook said she would play the character of a woman who falls in love with a man 19 years her junior in the new KBS 1TV drama “A Good Day for the Wind to Blow.” The first episode of the drama will be broadcast February 1.

371_997_l.jpg

▲Kim Mi-sook & Lee Hyun-jin at the Press Conference of "A Good day for the Wind to Blow."

At the press conference on January 27, Kim said, “I would like to focus on how people think positively about the love between older women and younger men instead of just the part of Lee Kang-hee. Actually, I can portray romance with a man up to 10 years older than me in a drama, but I am not sure how I will dare portray love between a couple with a 19 year age difference."

Kim said actor Lee Hyun-jin made it easier for her to play the role in the drama even though she feels pressure portraying the role due to the large age difference. According to her, before shooting a scene, Lee came to her and said, “You are my ideal type. I am your fan.”

Kim added, “I have portrayed a woman who is older than her lover several times now in dramas. I accepted the part of Lee Kang-hee owing to the encouragement of the director, but I am still a bit concerned. I would like people to understand the love between the couple in the drama despite the big age difference, and I will do my best to bring about that understanding."

In the drama, Kim will portray a woman who falls in love with her student while she struggles to get over her deceased husband.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Photo: KBS / KBSi

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS GLOBAL

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010/02/01

Ticket sales for 'Avatar' top 100 bln won in S. Korea

SEOUL, Feb. 1 (Yonhap) -- James Cameron's "Avatar" has become the first-ever movie released in South Korea to gross over 100 billion won (US$85.5 million) in sales, a semi-government film body said Monday.

On Sunday, the film's total revenue from ticket sales reached 112.3 billion won, becoming the first theatrical release to achieve the landmark feat in 46 days since its release here, the Korean Film Council said.

20100201161814_bodyfile.jpg

The previous box office record was held by "Haeundae," a homegrown disaster film released last year, which garnered some 87.2 billion won in ticket sales. Worldwide sales of "Avatar" passed the $2 billion-mark over the weekend. It became the biggest box office movie in history a week ago.

The epic sci-fi fantasy, which tells the story of a disabled U.S. marine who infiltrates a tribe of giant blue aliens inhabiting a faraway planet, also became the fifth-largest movie in terms of viewers, drawing in audiences of 11.27 million.

"Avatar" follows in the footsteps of five other local smash hits -- "Silmido" with 11.08 million in audience attendance (2003), "Tae Guk Gi" with 11.74 million (2004), "The King and the Clown" with 12.30 million (2005), "The Host" with 13.01 million (2006) and "Haeundae" with 11.39 million (2009).

The movie accounted for 28.3 percent of all audiences in 446 nationwide theaters over the weekend, maintaining its lead over rivals for a seventh-straight week. "Harmony," starring Kim Yun-jin, trailed with 25.6 percent of total viewers.

Credits : Tony Chang (odissy@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

"Master of Study" creator meets with TV series cast

2010020115153724345_1.jpg

Japanese comic artist Mita Norifusa meets with the cast of "Master of Study" [3HW]

Japanese comic artist Mita Norifusa recently met with the cast of popular KBS TV series "Master of Study", the small screen adaptation of his famous comic series.

Norifusa dropped by the show's set during his visit to Korea last week, talking to some of the cast members and having dinner with the actors and crew.

He is said to have thanked Korean actor Kim Soo-ro -- who plays the lead role Kang Seok-ho -- for portraying the character well and asked him to keep up the good work. Kim returned the compliment by handing the artist a gift, which included a DVD of his previous TV series "Our School E.T."

Norifusa gained famed with the success of "Dragon Zakura", which was published in Japan's monthly magazine "Weekly Morning" from 2003 thru 2007. The award-winning "Zakura" series was also adapted into a Japanese TV series of the same name.

Based on "Zakura", "Master of Study" is about a determined lawyer (played by Kim) who offers to teach five rebellious students and get them accepted into the country's top college. The drama also stars some of the best young actors in Korea including Yoo Seung-ho, Lee Hyun-woo and Go Ah-sung.

2010020115153724345_2.jpg

Mita Norifusa shakes hands with "Master of Study" actor Kim Soo-ro [3HW]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Comic book artist behind hit series

The comic book artist who masterminded the series behind KBS' hit drama "The Masters of the Art of Study" spoke at a press conference in Seoul on Thursday.

Here in Korea for the first time, Japanese artist Norifusa Mita fielded questions regarding his impressions of the Korean drama version and on the inspiration and philosophy behind the original comic series: "Dragon Zakura."

The 52-year-old entered the world of comics relatively late in his career. After graduating from college, Mita left a brief job at a department store to carry on the family business but when that did not work out as planned, he started drawing comics.

Mita initially built a reputation for himself in sports-related comics. His specialty was baseball. Then in 2003, Kodansha's publication, "Morning," started running Mita's "Dragon Zakura."

The tale of a lawyer's mission to send the students of a poorly performing high school to a top university garnered the artist fame and recognition. In 2005 he won the 29th Kodansha Manga Award for "Dragon Zakura."

That same year, TBS aired a Japanese drama version. This year, KBS started airing a Korean version. KBS' "The Masters of the Art of Study" is currently garnering the highest viewer ratings out of the three major broadcast networks for its timeslot.

"I watch the (Korean) drama through the internet in Tokyo," Mita said. "I am watching it in real time. But because I cannot fully understand what they are saying, I can only get the gist of it from the images. However, it seems very energetic and fun."

Mita selected Korean actor Kim Su-ro's performance as the ambitious lawyer as "the most charming" character in the Korean version.

In terms of differences between the Japanese and Korean drama versions, Mita cited length as the primary difference.

"Because the Korean version is airing 16 70-minute-long episodes, I think that a lot of scenes that fully illustrate and explain the characters' personalities have been put in," said Mita, contrasting it with the shorter Japanese version.

During his stay here, Mita caught a glimpse of the cast and crew of the KBS series.

He visited the set of "The Masters of the Art of Study" on Wednesday.

"I did visit the set yesterday. ... I was extremely nervous, so I spent most of the time watching the cast act and film scenes," he said.

After asking him about his impressions of the Korean version, the press turned to the original series: its origins, its creation and its philosophy.

"The editorial department of the magazine 'Morning' first approached me with the offer to make (a series) about a private educational institute featuring a teacher as the lead," said Mita. "I responded by saying let's draw a comic series about those who form a goal and work hard to achieve it, instead of focusing on a teacher. But usually that brings sports-related comics, like ones on baseball or soccer, to mind. Rather than do that, I came up with the idea to do one that would have studying as its theme."

"The system of making a comic series is based on a team formed by the artist and the editor in charge," he said. "By chance, the editor in charge of me was from the University of Tokyo."

Mita went on to explain how he drew from the experiences, opinions and success stories of his editor, his editor's friends and colleagues, and also from teachers themselves, to form a tale about students trying to get into the University of Tokyo.

"The (comic) book has lots of study methods," Mita said. "I would like you to practice them yourselves."

"I would like to tell viewers to please try one or two of the tips."

"Let's have fun studying," Mita sent out a final message in Korean to the students here.

KBS' "The Master of the Art of Study" is currently airing on KBS 2 TV on Mondays and Tuesdays at 9:55 p.m.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

How Kim Yun-jin's Korean Success Helped Her Make It in Hollywood

2010013000188_1.jpg

Kim Yun-jin

Kim Yun-jin spends nine months of the year in Hawaii shooting the popular U.S. drama series "Lost" and the remainder resting and working in Korea. She is the first Korean actress to have successfully launched a career in the U.S., though many others have tried. The fact that she moved to the U.S. as a child probably helped as there was no language barrier to overcome, but that alone would not have been enough.

"I strategically pretended to be terribly busy when I first tried to get acting jobs in the U.S.," she says. "I didn't want to seem desperate to be cast. I intentionally made appointments in Korea and told my U.S. agent that I'm busy and only available on certain dates. I wanted them to think of me as someone who is not readily available so they couldn't cancel meetings. That worked, and I was able to meet high-ranking influential people much quicker." Producers in the U.S. took note of what Kim did in Korea, and word of her reputation and popularity in Korea got to the U.S. That was crucial in getting her cast in "Lost," and is one reason why she visits Korea often despite her busy schedule and filmed Korean movies like "Seven Days" and "Harmony."

Kim's long run with "Lost" ends in April when the sixth and final season wraps up. "In a way it's good since I don't have to play the same part again, but it's also sad. I'm afraid, but I'm also excited about a new start," she says. Kim is a trailblazer for other Korean actors to go to Hollywood in recent years. "I can't say that other Korean actors like Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Ji-hyun could appear in Hollywood films because of my success," she says. "But maybe I helped familiarize American audiences with seeing Korean actors. The interest in Korean actors, though, has a lot to do with the Korean Wave. When casting Asian actors in the U.S., casting directors look not only at Asian actors in the U.S. but to actors in all Asian countries. Because the Asian market is huge, American producers tend to choose those who are popular in Asia. Thanks to the Korean Wave, many Korean actors make it on the candidates' list. The Korean Wave has influence not only in Asia but also in the U.S. I hope more Korean actors can establish a career in Hollywood."

But Kim does not believe she has a Hollywood career yet. "You can say that if you've appeared in a film, but I did a TV series, and I think I can get to be in more TV series. But it's movies that I really want to do. That is my next goal," she says.

What about her personal life? "I've been thinking about getting married a lot for a long time. I think marriage is one of the biggest concerns for all women in modern society, not just me," she says. "You have a desire to build up your career and become famous, and marriage is very difficult because of the pressure that having babies puts on you. But most of all, I haven't met anyone I really love." Would nationality matter for a person with a global career when it comes to romance? "Of course I don't think national boundaries are a limit to romance, but the people I had serious relationships with were all Koreans. I think you can't overlook cultural differences."

Source : Chosun Ilbo

02-01-2010

Lee Byung-hun to Star in 'G.I. Joe' Sequel

100201_p16_lee.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun

Top hallyu star Lee Byung-hun is expected to take a leading role in the "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" sequel, his aides said in a report by Hankook Ilbo.

Paramount is now taking the next steps to move forward with the film which will be a follow-up to the first that hauled in over $300 million worldwide.

Lee has already signed up for the sequel and shooting will start in the middle of the year.

An aide said that Paramount has informed Lee of the plan to give him a bigger role.

"After the success of `G.I. Joe,' they are showing a greater interest in Lee's commercial viability. Unlike in the first film in which he had a supporting role, his part in the sequel is expected to expand greatly," he said. "He will fly to negotiate details with the producing company within this month."

Lee is playing the role of "Storm Shadow."

"Storm Shadow will rise to become a main character in the sequel," the official said.

Lee's aides said that the producer is pinning its hopes on the popularity of the hallyu star in Asia. Lee's popularity continues to rise following his leading role in the mega-hit espionage TV drama "Iris."

Credits : chojh @koreatimes.co.kr

Lee Byung-hun role to expand in sequel to "G.I. Joe"

2009072116541004247_1.jpg

Scene from "G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra" [Paramount Pictures]

Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun may be headed to establishing firmer ground in Hollywood.

Paramount Pictures, the creators of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," has reportedly decided to give Lee's character Storm Shadow more weight in the second installment of the action flick set for release in 2012.

Paramount judged that the Korean actor contributed much to the success of the first pic and are developing on the stories surrounding Storm Shadow.

His agency BH Entertainment however, said they do not know as of yet how important Lee's role will be since the screenplay for the movie is not been complete.

Filming for the sequel of the movie based on the Hasbro toy line is set to start in August.

Lee, 39, has starred in numerous dramas and movies since his debut in 1991. He is considered one of the best actors in Korea, having won numerous awards including the grand prize at major broadcaster KBS' Acting Awards ceremony last year for his role in hit TV series "Iris."

He made his Hollywood debut through "G.I. Joe" and starred in Franco-Vietnamese pic "I Come with the Rain" alongside actors Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura last year.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Februari 01, 2010

'Sikgaek: Kimchi War' coming to theaters in the U.S.

2010219572059975.jpg

The movie ‘Sikgaek: Kimchi War', staring Kim Jung-eun and Jin Gu, is the first Korean movie to be released almost simultaneously in both Korea and the United States. The film opens in Korea on January 28, 2010, and on February 12, 2010 (local time) in the U.S.

Sikgaek will open in 20 major U.S. cities (including New York, New Jersey, Atlanta, Chicago, and Los Angeles) at AMC theaters, one of the largest movie theater chains in the country.

The film's overseas release is managed by JS Media & Entertainment, a local distributor specializing in Korean movies. This is the first time Korean cuisine will be shown to the American public in theaters.

Sikgaek: Kimchi War is a sequel to the hit movie Sikgaek of 2007. It depicts the culinary face-off between two chefs Jang-eun (played by Kim Jun-eun) and Seong-chan (played by Jin Gu) who strongly disagree on the future of the traditional restaurant Chunyanggak.

“We are currently in the final stages of negotiating the total number of screens for the movie. We hope that Sikgaek: Kimchi War will be an opportunity to promote Korean culture abroad through its engaging story and beautiful scenes,” said a movie official.

Source: Korea Tourism Org, Korea.Net

Feb.01, 2010

Sundance Film Festival Showcases Independent Films

The 2010 Sundance Film Festival is underway in Park City, Utah. The heavy snow and subfreezing temperatures do not stop almost 50,000 visitors from enjoying the films and exhibits around town. Documentaries, feature films and shorts -- 186 of them -- are being showcased here. The festival is a top venue for independent filmmakers.

This quaint alpine town is America's hottest venue for independent films. Directors, critics, movie stars and others are here to see the almost 200 films selected for the 2010 Sundance Film Festival. Competition to get in is fierce. Almost 10,000 films were submitted for this year's event.

As independent filmmaker Gabriel Griffin Filmmaker says, "Sundance is truly organic." Griffin is ahead of the game. He's already publicizing his latest film by putting it up on a public poster board in the middle of Main Street. He hopes the film will be accepted for Sundance next year. But the poster board is filling up quickly. Griffin looks at his poster stoically. "In an hour this will be covered up," he says.

The festival shows only independent films. Low budget documentaries, features, and shorts are screened across the ski resort of Park City.

2010020100346_0.jpg

The quaint town of Park City in Utah is home to The Sundance Film Festival.

The Egyptian Theater, on Main Street, figures prominently in the festival. The street is full of 19th century storefronts built during the silver mining boom. Here, Sundance founder and president Robert Redford opened the 10-day festival. Redford says his brain child, now 26 years old, is in the vanguard of independent filmmaking. "I do honestly take pride in the fact that we've been doing this for so long and we send programmers all over the world to find these films in these countries that I honestly do think that we have the best films and the best documentaries from all over the world," said the legendary actor to a room filled with reporters.

Audiences too come from all over the world. Like Eduardo from Brazil. "Two Brazilian directors are showing movies, documentaries about the Amazon and maybe I will get tickets to enjoy," he says.

About 1,500 volunteers are here to help visitors like Eduardo find their way in the snow and subfreezing temperatures. The "New Frontier" exhibit on Main Street is a highlight of the festival. There, one steps onto a virtual map projected on the floor and travels the world over, or sees oneself on an electronic mirror that turns everyone into a comic book figure with bubble thoughts overhead.

Shari Frilo is the curator. She says the exhibit reflects the all-present media culture we live in. "When you walk in," she says, "you're surrounded by images rather than a little gallery here or a little gallery there. It's supposed to be a social experience that resonates with our everyday life, that encourages conversation around this kind of experience in a hypermedia environment that is an artistic one rather than one that's powered by commerce and surveillance."

The festival offers filmmakers -- like Oscar winner Davis Guggenheim -- the chance to meet with the press and exchange ideas. And although the weather doesn't cooperate, it doesn't stop people from venturing out. Sundance is art in the making. By now, Gabriel Griffin's poster has been covered by many others and soon new ones will cover those. One thing is certain: some of these independent films will go on to compete for the top prizes. Just like the independent film "Precious." It won a triple award at Sundance last year and is expected to make it at the Oscars in March.

Source : VOA News via Chosun Ilbo

SBS gives double dose of medical drama

201002010045.jpg

Starting tomorrow, SBS fills in its prime-time weekday night timeslots with a double dose of medical drama. SBS' new Wednesday and Thursday night series "Sanbuingwa" will be joining the broadcast network's Monday and Tuesday night medical series "Jejungwon The Hospital" to bring viewers a full four days worth of doctor-driven theatrics.

Actress Jang Seo-hee stands at the epicenter of the new hospital soap. After garnering an award for her "Kill Bill"-worthy performance as a vengeful wife in the hit SBS series "Cruel Temptation," Jang has tapped into yet another dramatic role in "Sanbuingwa."

Donning a set of scrubs and a pixie cut, the actress drops revenge-crazed heroine for a stint as a second year ob-gyn fellow whose personal problems rival those of her own patients.

Shipped off to a countryside hospital for performing an abortion on a patient who did not want to give birth to a second disabled child, Seo Hye-young (Jang Seo-hee) not only has to cope with her own recent demotion, she also has to grapple with the fact that she is pregnant, a condition she strives to keep secret at her new workplace.

Hope is not lost on Seo. The troubled heroine finds not one but two potential love interests. Candidate number one is a pediatrician played by "Famous Princesses" actor Ko Joo-won. Candidate number two is an infertility clinic physician played by "Hearts of Nineteen" actor Seo Ji-suk.

The addition of "Triple" hottie Song Joong-ki as Seo's resident underling could have viewers envying rather than pitying the heroine as she bosses around her young and attractive subordinate while holding court to two doctors.

Actor Song won female fans over as a love struck speed skater in the MBC series "Triple" before bolstering his fan base as the ill-fated brother of the female lead in SBS' "Will it snow for Christmas?" Now he is tackling the role of Ahn Kyung-woo, a second year resident for whom obstetrics and gynecology is just a brief sidetrack to a lucrative career in dermatology and weight loss.

"Because Kyung-woo has a careless and flippant side to him, senior physician Seo Hye-young (Jang Seo-hee) constantly scolds him," Song described his character in a press release from SBS. "But it is because of Hye-young that he is able to slowly mature as a doctor and as a person."

Despite the presence of heartthrob Song and veteran lead Jang Seo-hee, "Sanbuingwa" faces a formidable rival in KBS' "The Slave Hunters." The KBS blockbuster rode to the top of the viewer rating charts when it first started airing and is maintaining its lead.

"Sanbuingwa" first airs tomorrow night on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

[PREVIEW]

Movie "Secret Reunion"

2010020116014608014_1.jpg

Actors Gang Dong-won (left) and Song Kang-ho in "Secret Reunion" [showbox]

Movie "Secret Reunion" - The terms of brotherhood

On a peaceful afternoon, several rounds of gunshots are fired in an apartment complex. As the terrified residents run out of the apartment building, two men face their twisted fate during the chaos. That day, NIS (National Intelligence Service) agent Hangyu (played by Song Kang-ho) gets kicked out of his organization for failing to accomplish his mission while North Korean spy Ji-won (played by Gang Dong-won) also gets abandoned by his home country for being a traitor. Six year pass and the two men meet again, each convinced that the other does not recognize him. The two are closer to being enemies than sworn brothers as they both dream of turning around their life again at the expense of the other. But as they start living together and look into the other person's loneliness, the mood between the two men start to change, little by little. What is worth watching in "Secret Reunion" is how the relationship between these two men change over time.

Movie Points (1-10 points)

The perfect, ideal combination of Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won - 8 points

2010020116014608014_2.jpg

Scenes from the film "Secret Reunion" [showbox]

Like the title "Secret Reunion" -- which reveals the film's ending in itself -- the film does not twist its plot or beat around the bush. The drama speedily proceeds to the climax where Han-gyu and Ji-won become brothers and the frequent points of humor along the way, provided by main and supporting actors, are effective. The film does not try to make viewers laugh with empty conversations or meaningless body movements. The dialogues and set-ups which reveal certain aspects -- and even their pain -- of the characters make the movie more entertaining and likeable. The confrontation scene at the apartment where Han-gyu and Ji-won first meet, the pursuit scenes or the action scenes at the construction site, were all shot clean and light. Replacing the fancy camera work and stylish camera angles, the sweaty beatings and the struggles of an NIS agent, who is about as capable as an average government worker, provide a different kind of fun than beautiful, well-made actions do.

The combination of Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, who have never acted together, is also entertaining. Song Kang-ho seems relaxed enough but indubitably explodes when his emotions build up and Gang Dong-won also shows a more deep progression of emotions than he displayed in the film "WOOCHI". But viewers will clearly be divided about the film's ending, which could be called both the strength and the weakness of "Secret Reunion". The ending, which remains faithful to the rule of a commercial film, is understandable but it is also too light that it takes out the weightiness of the story between Han-gyu and Ji-won. The movie opens in theaters on February 4.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Actor Joo Ji-hoon enters military

2010020216111048800_1.jpg

Actor Joo Ji-hoon [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Joo Ji-hoon said goodbye to fans for two years as he joined the military on Tuesday to fulfill South Korea's mandatory military service.

"I thank you for the concern and you coming here today," Joo said to fans ahead of entering the 306th draft located at Uijeongbu of Gyeonggi Province. A total of some 200 fans from Korea and Japan had gathered to bid him farewell.

Joo had addressed his fans on his official website the previous day too, thanking them for "their unchanging love" and promising he "will return a changed man."

The 27-year-old actor will serve as a full-time officer on the reserves forces after undergoing a five-week training session.

Joo is a former model who became popular after making his acting debut in the hit 2006 drama "Goong." He halted his career last April however, after receiving a six-month jail term suspended for a year along with 120 hours of community service for illegal drug use.

Joo Ji-hoon salutes fans ahead of entering army

2010020214102236424_1.jpg

2010020214292961139_1.jpg

Joo Ji-hoon sheds tears before entering military

2010020214304467074_1.jpg

Actor Joo Ji-hoon [Park Sung-ki/AsiaEconomic Daily]

Actor Joo Ji-hoon sheds a tear ahead of joining the army at the 306th draft located at Uijeongbu of Gyeonggi Province in South Korea on February 2, 2010. He will serve as a full-time officer on the reserves forces as part of fulfilling the country's mandatory military service.

Reporter : Yun Tae-hui th20022@asiae.co.kr

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr

Ju Ji-hoon Enlists in Military in February, 2010

Actor Ju Ji-hoon has enlisted in the army at the 306 reserve army training camp, commonly called "306 Bochungdae," in Uijeongbu, Kyeonggi-do on February 2.

7276_823_l.jpg

After he receives some basic military training for five weeks, he will serve two years as a full-time member in the army.

Ju is well known for starring in the films "Antique Bakery" (2008) and "Kitchen" (2009). However, he was fined 360,000 won and sentenced to six months in prison with one year of probation and 120 hours of community service last June after he was charged with drug abuse

02-02-2010

Lee Gwnag-gi Donates Insurance Money to Haiti

100202_p16_Lee.jpg

Actor Lee Gwang-gi

Actor Lee Gwang-gi, 40, has donated the entirety of the insurance money he accrued from insurance policies for his seven-year-old son ― who died from influenza A (H1N1) in November ― to relief for quake-stricken Haiti, the relief organization World Vision said Tuesday.

It said Lee donated the money in the name of his son.

"It's not a huge amount of money but it's meaningful in that it was donated under the name of my son, Seok-gyu," Lee was quoted as saying. "I hope it will be used for those who are suffering the loss of their children from the earthquake."

World Vision said that Lee has previously donated to underprivileged children in Africa and Indonesia through the organization.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

Feb.03, 2010

Lee Kwang-gi Donates to Haiti in Memory of Late Son

2010020300378_1.jpg

Lee Kwang-gi

Actor Lee Kwang-gi has donated to Haiti the insurance compensation he received after his seven-year-old son Seok-gyu died from the H1N1 flu in November last year, international emergency relief agency World Vision announced on Tuesday.

"It was heartrending to see so many Haitian parents in agony after losing their children to the earthquake, as I was in a similar situation," Lee said in a telephone interview with the Chosun Ilbo. "It was just a few million won [some thousand dollars]. The amount isn't that great, but I hope it helps them find some hope in life again."

"Seok-gyu received so much love from us and other people, but was too young to share what he had with others in need. I'd like to think of it as his first and last donation," he added.

Since Seok-gyu's death, Lee's family has been sponsoring other seven-year-old children in Africa and Indonesia through World Vision. Lee is scheduled to depart for Haiti to film a TV program on Feb. 11.

"We haven't been able to throw away any of Seok-gyu's clothes," Lee said. "I'm planning to bring as many of his clothes as possible, even if it means I can't carry much of my own stuff, and give them to children in Haiti."

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

02-02-2010

Drama to Feature the World of 'OB/GYN'

100202_p14_drama.jpg

The stars of the new drama ``OB/GYN'' pose for the cameras at a press con-

ference held last week. From left, Ko Joo-won, Jang Seo-hee and Seo Ji-seok.

The new soap starts airing tonight at 10 p.m. on SBS. /Courtesy of SBS

Paying a visit to the obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN) clinic can be uncomfortable, especially in South Korea where many women fear to go, or even talk about. But new SBS drama ``OB/GYN'' is aiming to change this perspective and help women learn more about pregnancy and birth, and further encourage them to pay regular visits.

Jang Seo-hee, the colorful actress who won the Grand Prize at the SBS Drama Awards last year, will lead the television series as a gynecologist.

The 38-year-old actress has never played it safe when choosing her roles, which includes a vengeful wife (``Cruel Temptation,'' SBS) and a hopeless ghost (``Ghost House,'' 2004), and viewers will get to watch her donning a set of white scrubs, a mask and a pixie cut.

``The drama is not just about medical situations and terms, but about people who experience happiness and pain at the gynecologist. (Filming it) made me grow as a person,'' Jang said during a press conference at Konkuk University Hospital, last Wednesday.

The drama is expected to heighten the overall interest in the sector, as it has been going through a tough time in recent years. Korea's birthrate is one of the lowest in the world, while illegal abortions are continuously carried out behind closed doors. The number of obstetricians and gynecologists are decreasing year after year, while the high costs of surgeries and appointments have deterred women from paying regular visits.

``It takes money and time to come here, and that is one of the reasons single mothers are having such a hard time financially. I hope our drama will be able to change society in the long run and help those who are in need,'' said Jang, who was appointed as goodwill ambassador for the Wise Woman Campaign run by the Korean Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists at the press event.

The series revolves around protagonist Seo Hae-young, played by Jang, who is a successful, passionate and headstrong gynecologist.

She is the best in the bunch: ready to work at 5:30 a.m., writing more research papers than anyone, called upon when emergencies occur and handing the gift of life to her patients.

But her life takes an unexpected turn when she finds out that she is pregnant. To make things worse, she is sent to a smaller rural hospital after being caught for conducting an abortion. Her pregnancy imposes a dilemma, and with two fellow doctors, and love interests, at her side ― played by Ko Joo-won and Seo Ji-seok ― she starts her journey to find herself as a woman and successful gynecologist.

``I just came from editing, and to be honest, I cried in the process,'' Lee Hyun-jik, the producer, said.

``There are three reasons I started making this drama. First, Korean men, including myself, tend to think lightly about pregnancy. I thought it was important for Korean men to know how difficult and important giving birth is. Second, there are many women who hesitate to go see their gynecologists, and I wanted to show them there is nothing to be afraid of.

``Finally, I wanted to feature the gynecologists who have to deal with not one, but two lives. I wanted to share their efforts and stories with the viewers.''

Compared to other medical dramas like ``Doctor Bong" and ``Behind the White Tower,'' the new soap is expected to feature babies and families in a lighter and fun way, instead of dealing with politics and love triangles between fellow doctors.

The 15-minute preview at the press conference was realistic, yet it managed to tug at the heartstrings of viewers at the press conference. The soap featured dramatic incidents, from surgeries, heartbreaking deaths and recoveries to the relationships between surgeons and the patients.

In one scene, the drama shows a mother who has everything: money, fame and respect. But when she realizes that her baby will be born with Down syndrome, she asks Seo to give up on the baby during the delivery. Seo refuses and saves the baby, yet the mother refuses to see the infant, saying the baby will bring nothing but pain.

``To be honest, I don't care about the ratings,'' Jang said, while smiling at the producer. `` I want this drama to be touching and in the end, receive a lot of compliments.

``I assisted a surgeon delivering a baby on Jan. 1 this year, and when I first saw the infant, I was speechless. It was such a solemn moment. I instantly thought of my mother. I hope viewers will get to sympathize with me,'' the actress said.

``OB/GYN'' starts airing tonight at 10 p.m. on SBS.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

New Daily Drama Begins Monday on KBS1

A new daily evening drama begins on February 1, replacing “Jolly Widow,” which ended on January 29 after enjoying significant popularity.

370_994_l.jpg

▲ Cast members pose at a production conference

“Good Day” revolves around a girl named Kwon Oh-bok who achieves her dreams thanks to her unyielding spirit. It is written by Lee Deok-jae and directed by Lee Deok-geon. The two previously partnered to create the hit dramas “Likable or Not” and “Strange Woman, Strange Man.”

Kim So-eun, the rookie actress who rose to stardom in the 2009 mega hit “Boys Over Flowers,” will play the lead. Other cast members include young actors such as Jin Yi-han, Kang Ji-seop, Lee Seong-min, Lee Hyun-jin and Seo Hyo-rim as well as veteran actors such as Kim Mi-sook, Na Moon-hee, and Yoon Mi-ra.

370_995_l.jpg

▲ Kim So-eun (left), who takes up the lead role, poses with Jin Yi-han, who plays opposite Kim

In a production conference on February 27, director Lee Deok-geon said it is a typical evening family drama. “But unlike previous shows, which focused on conflict and reconciliation in a family in everyday life, I intend to put more emphasis on love and marriage,” he added.

When asked if he thinks that the lead character is too typical as she -- like many characters featured in other dramas -- is so optimistic and strong-willed that she never gives up hope, the director said, “The situation she is placed in is different. She is a 19-year-old girl who comes to take care of a big family as the eldest daughter-in-law. That will make difference for the character and the show as a whole.”

Yoon Mi-ra talked about her role as a wife of a low-ranking government worker and mother of three children who lives with her mother-in-law. “I will be especially concerned about my second son, who wants to get married to a woman 20 years his senior. That will make me play a ‘villain’ against my will,” she said.

Kim Mi-sook, who plays the woman with whom Yoon’s second son falls in love, said that she thinks it’s vital to make their romance convincing and pleasant. She added that she is happy to return to KBS for the first time in five years.

Aiming to give comfort and hope to people struggling to live in the face of harsh reality, “Good Day” airs from Monday through Friday at 8:25 p.m. on KBS1.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Photo: KBS public affairs team Lee Min-gyu

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

January 29, 2010

Jang Geun-suk named youngest PR Ambassador for Seoul

Actor Jang Geun-suk, who is gaining wide recognition in the entertainment fields of movies, TV drama and music and has been dubbed one of next-generation stars for ‘Hallyu' or Korean Wave, was appointed on Jan. 21 as a ‘PR Ambassador' for Seoul City.

201012916313993269.jpg

As the youngest PR Ambassador for Seoul, Jang, who is becoming one of South Korea's best-loved actors in Japan and China for his main role in an SBS drama “You're Beautiful,” will promote the city's unique and great charm to the world in the wake of the ‘2010 Visit Korea Year – With Seoul.' Also, he will play the role of PR Ambassador to improve conditions in the field of culture and welfare for young, talented artists and underprivileged people.

20101291632279041.jpg

In August last year, Jang showed his talent as a PR Ambassador for Seoul by winning an award for his jointly-produced video clip in the UCC (User Created Content) Contest hosted by Seoul City. Jang and his friends won a Silver Award in the contest, titled ‘2009 Click Your Dream,' for college students. Because the number of clicks by anonymous Internet users was a part of the qualification process for an award, Jang used his nickname to hide his real name although he directly participated in the idea gathering, production and editing for the video clip. Later, Jang's low profile for the UCC Contest became known and was spotlighted.

The award-winning video clip, titled ‘The Object of His Affection,' was shown at a meeting between Jang and his Japanese fans, letting them know about Seoul's charm and its tourist destinations. The video also recorded higher views at YouTube after it was posted on the ‘Hi Seoul' channel on the video-sharing Web site.

At the appointment ceremony, Jang donated his favorite checked shirt and a soundtrack album of the SBS drama “You're Beautiful.” “Whenever I travel, I drive my car over the Bugak Skyway and Jeong-dong. Driving there, I am always impressed that I'm living in Seoul with such beautiful places,” Jang said. Jang said he will vigorously promote what he called “humane and beautiful Seoul” as the city's youngest PR Ambassador.

Click

to see the Youtube video.

Source : Seoul Metropolitan City via Korea.net

Bae Yong-joon, Choi Ji-woo reunite for “Winter Sonata” anime

2010020212531420351_1.jpg

Actor Bae Yong-joon (left) and actress Choi Ji-woo [KEYEAST]

Top Hallyu stars Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo will be reuniting as co-stars in the final scene for Japanese animation “Winter Sonata~ Another Story~”, according to a press release by Bae’s agency KEYEAST.

KEYEAST explained that the two actors -- who provided voice-overs for their famous fictional characters in “Another Story~”-- are set to make an actual appearance in the ending scene for the animated version of their hit TV series “Winter Sonata”.

“More Japanese viewers are becoming interested in the animation with every episode,” an executive at the animation production company was quoted as saying. “So the producers and actors agreed to shoot an actual [non-animation] ending scene to repay the viewers for their support of the series.”

“Another Story~” was created with a newly-structured story with many of the cast members from the original TV show lending their voices for the anime characters.

The promotional event for the series made headlines last September when some 50,000 fans showed up at Tokyo Dome to see Bae, Choi and other supporting cast members.

Korean actors Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo became household names throughout Asia with the success of “Winter Sonata”. Bae, in particular, gained a huge following in Japan and earned the nickname “Yonsama”

“Another Story” currently airs in Japan every Saturday on three channels -- Ch.750 (DATV), Ch. 190 and Ch. 800 (SKY PerfecTV!). The final episode is schedule to air on April 24.

Reporter : Lynn Kim <lynn2878@asiae.co.kr>

Editor : Jessica Kim <jesskim@asiae.co.kr>

02-02-2010

Actress Loses 8kg

100202_pm_actress.jpg

Actress Chae Min-seo has lost eight kilograms to star in a movie about a vegetarian, press reports said Tuesday.

In the movie titled, ``Vegetarian,'' Chae, 29, who has a thin body normally, plays the role of ``Younghye'' who stops eating meat after experiencing strange dreams.

Chae surprised her fans by revealing that she even received a blood transfusion to help speed up her weight loss.

She was compared to actor Kim Myung-min who lost 20 kilograms to play the role of a Lou Gehrig's disease patient in the movie ``Closer to Heaven.'' He won the best actor prize award at the Blue Dragon Awards last year.

Based on Korean writer Han Gang's short story of the same title, ``Vegetarian'' will be released on Feb. 18.

Source : The Korea Times

TV series "Goong" to be made into musical production

2010020310375726705_1.jpg

Official poster for musical "Goong" [Group 8]

Hit television drama "Goong" is set to be made into a musical, according to a press release by the show's producer Group 8.

Group 8 explained that they had long planned on creating the musical version of "Goong", originally based on a comic series before being made into an adaptation on the small screen in 2006.

The musical "Goong" -- the first of the "Group 8 Musical Collection" series -- will be filled with fancy art direction, which the TV series was also famous for, and include various music genres and dance sequences.

The producers are currently casting the lead actors for the musical through an open audition on www.group8tv.com/audition.html.

"Goong" (MBC, 2006) is a story about an average high-school girl marrying a royal prince in 21st century Korea, which is in fiction a monarchical country. The drama was a huge success and turned its two lead actors, Yoon Eun-hye and Joo Ji-hoon, into household names.

The musical will premiere on September 3 at the National Museum of Korea.

Yoo Min cast in new SBS drama

2010020214521455573_2.jpg

Actress Yoo Min [Ava Entertainment]

Japanese actress Yoo Min has been cast in a new SBS weekend drama tentatively titled "Life is Beautiful" set to air on March 13.

"I was so ecstatic when I found out about the casting that I couldn't sleep. I am studying hard to prepare for the role," the actress was quoted as saying by her agency Ava Entertainment on Tuesday.

She added that she is also nervous to take part in a drama which will be produced by Jung Eul-young and scenarist Kim Soo-hyun.

Jung and Kim have worked together on several family dramas such as "Angry Mom" and "My Man's Woman". They will be teaming for the sixth time in creating "Life" set in the southern island of Jeju.

Yoo Min will play the role of the Chae-young who is a bright and cheerful character who falls in love with Tae-sup played by Korean actor Song Chang-eui.

Other celebrities, including Nam Sang-mi, Nam Kyu-lee and Lee Sang-yoon, are set to star in "Life."

Yoo Min, whose real name is Yuko Fueki, made her Korean acting debut in 2001 through MBC drama "My Home". Since then she has appeared in several dramas and films, most recently in the hit KBS drama "IRIS".

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

Rain, Lee Da-hae appointed PR ambassadors for Green Growth

2010020312532445428_1.jpg

Korean entertainer Rain [Asia Economic Daily]

Asian superstar Rain and actress Lee Da-hae have been appointed publicity ambassadors for the Presidential Committee on Green Growth (PCGG), according to a press release by the committee on Wednesday.

PCGG -- which is under direct control of President Lee Myung-bak -- explained they designated the two stars to raise public awareness of the green growth policy and promote green life in everyday activities.

The two stars will appear in promotional videos about green growth and attend major events to fulfill their duties as PR ambassadors over a one-year period. They will be kicking off their activities today by attending the committee conference.

Multi-talented entertainer Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is known to have been involved in various charity work over the years. In 2008, he visited the Taean coast in Choongnam Province where he helped clean up the infamous oil spill and donated relief items to the victims. He has also lent his support to a well-digging project in Cambodia.

Actress Lee Da-hae, who currently appears in the hit KBS2 drama "The Slave Hunter", has volunteered and made donations to various causes for children. She also took part in a global environmental campaign sponsored by Thailand's public broadcaster and the city of Bangkok.

2010020312532445428_2.jpg

Korean actress Lee Da-hae [Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Ji Jin-hee to star in Chinese film

201002021756013706899A_2.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Ji Jin-hee said he is slated to star in a Chinese melodrama film with a top Chinese actress this coming fall.

"The picture helmed by Korean director Kim Poong-gi will go into shoot starting September," Ji explained during an interview with Asia Economic Daily on Tuesday.

He added that a female lead has yet to be set but creators of the film are talking to the top actresses in China.

The film, tentatively titled "On the Road," will follow the journey of a Korean man and a Chinese woman who encounter each other during a train ride.

Filming is set to end next spring after which the pic will be released in China and Hong Kong. An opening date for Korea has not been set.

Director Kim studied film at Beijing Film Academy, the only Korean to graduate the prestigious school, and has assisted famed Chinese filmmakers including Yimou Zhang. "Road" will be distributed by the production company established by the Academy.

Ji, 38, rose to fame for his role in "Jewel in the Palace" in 2003 and has starred in the Hong Kong film "Perhaps Love".

The actor is currently preparing for the release of his film "Parallel Life" coming out this month and the historical MBC drama "Dong-Yi" which is scheduled to air in March.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Archived