[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2010-10-15

Song Kang-ho’s New Movie 'Sworn Brothers'

In an interview at a hotel in Sokong-dong, actor Song Kang-ho said, “First of all, I could easily identify my own personality with the character I played in the movie ‘Sworn Brothers' better than in any of my other movies. The character of Han-kyu in Sworn Brothers seems to me to be a mix of previous characters I played before, including Doo-man (Memories of murder) and Kyung-pil (Joint Security Area JSA). I think that my character Han-kyu is a unique character, but I also used several of my previous characters from my other movies to influence the character 'Han-kyu.' I see my role as Han-kyu to be an assorted gift of my acting experiences for my fans. I tried to show the essence of my acting through Han-kyu and to express him as a father and a husband in his daily life, even though Han-kyu is an agent of the National Intelligence Service (laughing)."

Song, who has gained growing popularity and recognition for his acting credentials, plays Han-kyu, a former agent of the NIS in the movie “Sworn Brothers,” which is the second movie by director Jang Hoon, whose first project as the main director was “A Movie is a Movie." Sworn Brothers will be released on February 4.

During the interview, Song talks about the life of ordinary people several times. Song believes that the character Han-kyu of Sworn Brothers is similar to the character of another "average joe" whom he played in the film “Elegant Universe” named In-gu. However, according to Song, there are some differences between Elegant Universe and Sworn Brothers: "In Elegant Universe, Song’s character portrays a darker side, but Sworn Brothers is a movie that audiences can comfortably watch and enjoy.”

7260_771_l.jpg

Song, a middle aged man with 2 children, is not different from other fathers even though he has special concerns as an actor. As a father, he also cares about the health, future, and academic performances of his children.

Song said, “I was thinking about sending my children to study abroad to improve their English. However, as a father, I would have to sacrifice my own happiness if my children go study abroad at an early age. Therefore, I had to think really hard to decide and then I finally decided to have happiness as a father (laughing)."

In Sworn Brothers, a buddy film, Song appears together with Kang Dong-won for the first time. During the interview, Song described Kang, who played his partner Song Ji-won, as an attractive actor.

Song said, “Some people worried whether my appearance would be a good match for his because we are sworn brothers. However, our personalities compliment each other very well in the movie, so, we both agree that we made a fantastic pair as sworn brothers in the movie (laughing)." Song added, “As a young man, Kang Dong-won is cautious as well as clever. Most of all, his strength lies in being honest about his feelings.”

7260_772_l.jpg

Song said he appeared in the movie because he trusts in the director, Jang Hoon, despite lower production costs (3.5 Billion Won). Song mentioned that the directing ability of Jang Hoon drew him in while he was watching Jang’s film “A Movie is a Movie.”

Song said, “Director Jang is very knowledgeable about popular movies. During the movie, Jang directed several excellent scenes. He seems to have his own special approach to the theme in a movie. I can confidently say the movie is a great movie, even though it is not the greatest masterpiece.” The Korean movie industry still seems to be having a financially difficult time even though the percentage of the Korean movies in the market slightly increased this past year. However, Song does not seem to be concerned about the economic depression of film industry.

Song will up here in the noir movie “Night Fog,” which will be directed by Lee Hyun-seong, this spring. Song said, “The movie is a kind of noir movie. The final stage of the script for the movie is being written. There are no bedroom scenes (laughing). I really hoped I could work with director Lee if I had a chance. The movie 'Night Fog' seems would have a strongly-expressed melodramatic mood since the director, Lee, is a master of melodrama (laughing)."

7260_773_l.jpg

Song is fortunate because he appeared in good movies directed by great directors. And the directors, who worked together with actor Song, are also lucky as well. Song worked together with famous directors such as Lee Chang-dong, Bong Jun-ho, Park Chan-wook, and Kim Ji-woon.

Some people mentioned Song might stick to working with those directors. Song replied, ”Certainly, I have a very good relationships with the directors (laughing). However, I do not work with only the directors. Basically, I choose the films I will up here in based on the script. At the same time, the director is more important than the script. I usually decide to work on a film after I talk seriously with the director regarding the movie and understand the intention and plan of the director." When a reporter asked him if he would like to be a director, Song said, “I don’t have any ability and any desires for it. I just want to devote myself to my acting.”

In addition, Song said, “When I was in my thirties, I had power as a young man. The more I get older, the more I get wise through many experiences, but I seem to lose my energy. I think acting is not easy."

A reporter asked Song about his favorite dialogue in his movies and Song replied, “It is my favorite line even though is not mine. In the movie ‘Bat‘, Kim Ok-bin says, ‘Death is the end.’ The line has deep meaning. I would like to devote myself to my acting without regret when I die."

Source : KBS GLOBAL

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Chuno" ratings storm ahead

2010011515340707071_1.jpg

Official drama poster for "Chuno" [KBS2]

KBS2 TV series "Chuno" sailed ahead of its competitors on Thursday, its ratings breaching the 30 percent mark in just two weeks of its showing.

According to estimates released by TNS Media Korea on Friday, "Chuno" scored a national viewership rating of 30.8 percent for its fourth episode which aired on Thursday. The drama had recorded a 27.2 percent rating the previous night.

The show failed to surpass the 30 percent mark in statistics released by AGB Nielsen, but the viewership leapt by nearly two percent to record ratings of 28.2 percent.

The traditional drama -- which stars Jang Hyuk, Oh Ji-ho and Lee Da-hae -- made a splashing debut last week with a 24.8 percent rating and has been gaining more viewers with each episode.

Two other prime-time dramas during the same time slot -- SBS's "Will It Snow For Christmas?" and MBC's "Hero" -- trailed behind with viewership ratings of 11.7 and 5.0 percent, respectively.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

[PREVIEW]

MBC TV series "Woman Who Still Wants to Marry"

2010011514204714761_1.jpg

Actresses Uhm Ji-won, Park Jin-hee and Wang Bitna [MBC]

2010011515151489557_1.jpg

Actors Lee Pil-mo, Kim Bum and Choi Chul-ho [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Sometimes, a title will speak for itself. MBC TV series "The Woman Who Wants to Marry," received strong support from women in 2004 by comically yet realistically portraying the life of 32-year-old TV reporter Lee Shin-young (played by Myung Se-bin) who is worried about work, dating and marriage. A 34-year-old and still single Lee Shin-young, played by Park Jin-hee this time, appeared at a press conference for "The Woman who Still Wants to Marry" (tentative title) held at the Sherton Grand Walkerhill hotel on Thursday.

Shin-young receives a wedding invitation from co-pilot Sang-woo (played by Lee Pil-mo) whom she almost got married to until he had to leave for Washington to undergo training. She also spots her was-seemingly new perfect boyfriend with another girl on the scene of a fire at a motel after having received the most glamorous proposal to be his girlfriend. And her relationship with blind date Na Ban-suk (played by Choi Chul-ho) ends up fizzling out after a few misunderstandings. After going through a series of several more such unfortunate incidents, Shin-young declares she will never marry. But she unexpectedly falls into love with Ha Min-jae (played by Kim Bum) whom she runs into at a college she went to give a lecture at. Meanwhile, her friend and simultaneous translator Da-jung (played by Uhm Ji-won) has a hard time looking for Mr. Right while restaurant consultant Boo-gi (Wang Bitna) prefers to enjoy her life as it comes. It will be interesting to see how scenarist Kim In-young, who has displayed her talent throughout the genres of comedy, romance and drama, collaborates with director Kim Min-shik of MBC's sitcom "Nonstop" series and TV series "Queen of Housewives" to tell this story which sounds commonplace yet unpredictable.

Anticipation quotient

If all of your daily drinking buddies are now married: 8

If you cannot imagine going out with a pretty boy around your nephew's age: 7

"Marry" will not have an easy time up against KBS TV series "Chuno" which has already surpassed ratings of 20 percent into its second week of showing and following "Hero" which ended its run this week with ratings of around five percent. But like Park Jin-hye says, the difference between the two dramas could work to the advantage of "Marry" and attract viewers from the opposite side of the scale. If so, producer Kim Min-shik's may not be making a hopeful wish by stating, "If 'Chuno' is about one who chases slaves during the Joseon Dynasty, we will become the one that chases after 'Chuno'."

2010011515131575156_1.jpg

Actor Kim Bum [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Kim Bum poses during a photo session of a press conference for the new MBC TV series tentatively titled "Woman Who Still Wants to Marry" held at the Sheraton Grand Walkerhill hotel on January 14, 2010

2010011515195719168_1.jpg

Actor Kim Bum and actress Park Jin-hye [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

01-15-2010

Actor Jang Dong-gun Has Successful Surgery on Knee

101115_p16_jang.jpg

Jang Dong-gun

Actor Jang Dong-gun underwent knee surgery at a general hospital in Seoul earlier this week and was discharged on Friday, officials from his agency said.

``Jang had surgery to repair damaged cartilage in his left knee and was discharged from the hospital as the surgery went well,'' an official said. ``He will concentrate on rehab for a while.''

Jang sustained the injury in 2003 while he was acting in the movie ``Taegeukgi.'' He previously had surgery but failed to recover from the injury completely.

The next film Jang will star in is director Kang Je-gyu's ``D-Day,'' which will start shooting in May.

Source : The Korea Times

2010-01-15

Master of Study' Step Closer to Big Hit

"Master of Study" has continued enjoying growing popularity, recording the highest ratings among Monday-Tuesday dramas.

The fourth episode of the drama on January 12 saw the ratings rise 3.2 percent from the previous episode to reach 26.3 percent. The figures have steadily increased since it started airing on January with 15.1 percent, raising hopes that it will exceed the 30 percent mark.

The show deals with the struggle of five troubled students who join a special class that aims to send them to a top-notch university.

349_945_l.jpg

▲ Scenes from the January 12 episode

The popularity of the show is attributed to the fact that it is both entertaining and informative. It features useful tips on studying skills, drawing great interest from students, parents and teachers as well as other general viewers since it reminds them of their school years. The life stories of each of the five characters also touch the hearts of viewers.

The fourth episode featured the story of Hong Chan-do (Lee Hyun-woo). Chan-do is the only troublemaker in his intellectual family, so his father, an executive at a conglomerate, wants to make him go to the U.S. to study. But he refused to listen to his father, and his father told him that he would not send him away if he scored more than 80 percent right in a math test. Chan-do struggled not to give in to any kind of temptations and focused on studying, achieving the perfect score.

Another reason for the popularity of the show is the harmonious performance between the five young actors and veteran actors including Bae Doo-na, Byeong Hee-bong, Kim Soo-ro and Oh Yoon-ah.

The drama also touched on a controversial social issue -- the evaluation of teachers, suggesting that it would take a critical look at the reality of the educational field as well.

Expected to serve as an inspiration for teenagers, "Master of Study" airs on Mondays and Tuesdays at 9:55 p.m. on KBS2.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

01-14-2010

'Attack 2': The Catch-22 of Sequels

101114_p10_attack.jpg

The young cast of "Attack the Gas Station 2,’’ the sequel to the hit 1999

comedy by Kim Sang-jin. A local gas station once again becomes prone to

a full scale siege, this time involving the mafia, a teenage motorcycle gang and

prisoners on the run. / Courtesy of Cinema Service

In 1999, a story about four juvenile delinquents trashing and robbing a gas station out of sheer boredom became the second highest grossing film that year, as well as a national sensation with the word ``attack’’ placed in random contexts becoming household vocabulary.

Director Kim Sang-jin has taken the megaphone into his hands for a second time to direct its sequel, ``Attack the Gas Station 2.’’

But it’s hard for sequels to live up the glory of its predecessor, especially when the original was a megahit.

The new movie’s flaws are reflected in its very title. The film is nothing but a sequel; lacking the ability to stand and breathe on its own, it can only clutch desperately onto the number 2 at the end of its name. It is, at best, a homage to the original, with a younger cast and up-to-date music thrashing about.

Park Young-keu returns to the screen as the ill-fated gas station owner Mr. Park. He endorses the scheme of setting a thief to catch a thief, and proactively takes measures to counter motorcycle gang attacks by hiring a quartet of dodgy boys: a former kimchi factory heir who had to serve time for his lethal punch (Ji Hyun-woo); a once-promising footballer with a killer high kick (Jo Han-sun); a potbellied wrestler who idolizes women (Moon Won-joo); and a video game addict who has mastered the art of bluffing fighting skills (Jung Jae-hoon).

But Park ends up shooting his own foot when his four employees decide they have had enough of his tyrannical ways. With the help of a band of rather harmless troublemaking teens, the boys instigate a coup: they assume command of the gas station in order to collect their overdue salaries while Park, along with a buddy and a bevy of cheerleaders, succumbs to being held hostage on his own property.

These ``anarchists'' attract all the drivers in town by offering a cash-only, 50 percent sale. As the money starts rolling in, with the cheerleaders cheering on the side, however, a full-scale siege draws near as a bus-full of runaway ``moralist’’ prisoners, a rebellious teenage motorcycle gang, a group of real gangsters and a drunk journalist (representing the conservative media giants under scrutiny these days) make their way to the hotspot.

The film tries to derive laughter in Park’s Catch-22 situation, which he embraces with surprising grace as he is forced to build a castle with soda cans, and the shift in allegiance and power among the hostages and their captors as different characters enter and leave the gas station, with a pinch of Stockholm Syndrome on the side.

If the first installment’s wonderfully absurd take on modern life served as a refreshing kick during the woeful aftermath of the Asian financial crisis, then the second poses as a laughable bark protesting high oil prices and the growing divide between the haves and have-nots. Even when viewed as mindless diversion, however, the jokes just aren’t very funny.

But it isn’t all too terrible though. The gritty action and discordant exuberance in the tradition of ``Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels’’ is there, with some moments of crafty bemusement. Yet it’s bigger, and not bolder, and there are no weighty screen personas to fill in for the bad script and slow editing.

In theaters Jan. 21. Distributed by Cinema Service

Credits : Lee Hyo-won,Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr) 

Source : The Korea Times

January 16, 2010

Lee Na-young Takes on Transgender Part

2010011600224_1.jpg

Lee Na-young

Actress Lee Na-young is one of the most coveted models for advertisers along with fellow 30-something stars like Kim Hee-sun and Ko So-young. She has appeared in almost all major commercials for cosmetics, electronics, beverage, food, telecommunication, and construction companies, and she still has many advertisers wooing her. For her management agency, she is the beautiful goose that lays the golden eggs. 

Over the 10-plus years of her acting career, Lee has shown different sides of herself in each eight film she starred in, including "Who R U?" (2002), "Please Teach Me English" (2003), "Someone Special" (2004), "Maundy Thursday" (2006), and "Dream" (2008). In her latest film, romantic comedy "Lady Daddy," Lee appears as a man. She is not a transvestite but a single, unmarried transgender woman who discovers she has a son from the time she was a man and must now live with him.

Lee had a lot of fun filming it, and seems quite impervious to her looks. Where does her confidence spring from? "None of the parts I've played in films were pretty. In fact, I get stressed out if I have to look pretty. I keep thinking, 'what if I don't?'" As for playing a man, "I've wanted to do a part like that for quite a long time. Some actresses have done it recently. I was especially impressed by Cate Blanchett's performance in 'I'm Not There,'" she said. "When I read the screenplay, I was worried that I might misrepresent the image of transgender people due to my insufficient knowledge, but I was attracted to the uniqueness of the material. I thought the theme would be more appealing and easier for the audience to understand when combined with comedy."

"Lady Daddy" will have to challenge huge blockbusters "Avatar" by James Cameron and "Woochi: The Taoist Wizard" by Choi Dong-hoon. Is Lee just unlucky in terms of box office success? "Someone Special" and "Who R U?" found moderate belated success only after the screening was finished. This time she also has a cold snap to contend with, which might keep people at home. But Lee is determined not to let that put her off.

Source : englishnews@chosun.com

"Three Brothers" tops TV ratings for third week

2010011813302122022_1.jpg

KBS2 TV's weekend drama "Three Brothers" has topped TV ratings for the third consecutive week, according to a poll on Monday.

Statistics by TNS Media Korea showed that the Saturday-Sunday family drama was the most-watched show during the week of January 11, recording a viewership of 36.5 percent in ratings.

KBS1 TV's daily soap opera "Jolly Widows" scored a rating of 33 percent to score the second highest rating while historical drama "Chuno" made its way into the top three with a rating of 29 percent.

In the non-drama category, KBS2 "Happy Sunday" topped the ratings chart with a viewership of 26.6 percent. MBC's daily sitcom "High Kick Through the Roof" ranked second with a ratings of 26.1 percent and "World Changing Quiz" came in third with a total viewership of 22.2 percent last week.

[RATINGS] Weekly TV ratings:Jan 11-17

2010011813230983088_1.jpg

TV ratings for the week of January 11-17, 2010

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

"Avatar" continues to shake up Korean box office

2010011813110046707_2.jpg

Movie poster for "Avatar" [20th Century Fox]

Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar" continued to rattle Korea's box office last week as it took its fifth-weekend win.

According to the weekend estimates by the Korea Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday, "Avatar" continued to dominate in theaters by attracting 720,739 viewers between January 15 and 17 to gross over nine million viewers since its release in December.

On January 14, the James Cameron pic had claimed the title as the sixth most-watched film in the country's history, breaking the record which was previously set by Michael Bay's blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" which saw an accumulated seven million viewers during its showing.

Korean comic action film "WOOCHI" maintained its position behind "Avatar" for the fourth consecutive week to take second place with 433,483 viewers and a total five million viewers. Korean action thriller "No Mercy" opened with 219,718 viewers, good enough for the No. 3 position during the three-day period.

The animated children's movie "Astro Boy" came in fourth with 148,474 viewers while new suspense thriller "Paranormal Activity" rounded out the top 5 this week with a total of 142,580 viewers.

Other movies that made the top 10 this week were; "Lady Daddy", "Sherlock Holmes", "Wedding Dress", "Alvin and the Chipmunks 2" and "Engine Sentai Gonger VS Gekiranger."

[RATINGS] Weekend Box Office: Jan 15-17

2010011811064863573_6.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of January 15 to 17, 2010

[Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

01-17-2010

Kim Surprises Fans With New Photos

100117_pm_kim.jpg

Top actress Kim Hye-soo has surprised fans once again with her exceptional photos, only weeks after the revelation of her relationship with actor Yu Hae-jin came as a shock.

Kim, 40, Saturday posted 12 photos on her blog featuring ads for Fissler, a kitchenware brand, taken by photographer Kang Young-ho.

Fans expressed their admiration for Kim's transformation, saying the actress lived up to her reputation. Critics say these photos show Kim, who is not afraid of changing her image, dressing up as a goddess, elf and doll.

Press reports earlier this month said Kim and Yu, 40, have been dating for years. The couple go on dates every Friday and attend each other's family gatherings.

Credits : sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

Choi Jung-won's "Star" rising in China

2010011808323435818_2.jpg

Korean actress Choi Jung-won in a poster for "Wish Upon A Star" [sBS]

Korean actress Choi Jung-won is gaining popularity in China with the success of two television dramas -- "Wish Upon A Star" and "Famous Princesses" -- according to a press release by her agency on Monday.

"Chinese fans are viewing "Wish Upon A Star" through internet downloads and many are asking about the show," explained an official at Wellmade Star M, who added that Choi has been receiving many offers for TV commercials as well.

Ratings for SBS drama "Star", which premiered in Korea two weeks ago, has been on the rise and recorded a 13.1 percent viewership on January 12, according to estimates released by AGB Nielsen Media.

"Princesses", which originally aired in Korea in 2006, has reportedly taken China by storm and its popularity has carried over to the fans' interest in "Star".

"Thank you so much for loving "Star". I'm physically exhausted but I'm energized from all the good news," the actress was quoted as saying.

Choi, 28, has appeared in many television dramas since debuting in 2001 including "All In" (SBS, 2003), "The King and I" (SBS, 2007) and "The Kingdom of The Winds" (KBS2, 2008), for which she won two KBS Acting Awards.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Korean film "Elbowroom" invited to Rotterdam film fest

2010011810152665430_1.jpg

Poster for Korean film "Elbowroom" [Gun Cinema]

Korean film "Elbowroom" has been officially invited to the 39th Rotterdam International Film Festival, according to the film's producer Gun Cinema on Monday.

"Elbowroom" will be shown in the "Bright Future" section -- a non-competitive category which introduces works by new promising directors -- at the film fest, to be held in Rotterdam starting January 27.

The film, which was directed by indie filmmaker Ham Kyoung-rock, shows the violent living environment surrounding handicapped people and how they live under such circumstances.

Founded in 1972, Rotterdam is considered one of the biggest film festivals in Europe, alongside Cannes, Venice and Berlin, and is nicknamed the "Sundance of Europe." Korean film "Paju" -- directed by noted female director Park Chan-ok -- has been selected to open the event this year.

Several Korean films have won the top "Tiger Award" at Rotterdam -- "The Day a Pig Fell into the Well" (1997), "Jealousy is My Middle Name" (2003) and "Ddongpari" (2009).

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Guest dorkychick

^^ mandalaywith, thanks for posting JHJ's latest pictures. Our prince is looking yummylicious even if he's all covered up in thick winter clothes. i am so happy to see his happy, smiling face.... :):):)

Moon Geun-young and others shoot charity spread for Vogue

2010011815151783601_1.jpg

From left, actresses Moon Geun-young, Kim So-yeon, Lee Yoon-ji and actor Jo Dong-hyeok [Vogue Korea]

A handful of Korean celebrities -- including top actresses Kim So-yeon and Moon Geun-young -- have come together to shoot a charity photo spread for fashion magazine Vogue Korea, according to their agency on Monday.

Seven notable actors -- including Jeon Hye-bin, Jo Dong-hyeok, Kim Kang-woo, Lee Gyu-han and Lee Yoon-ji -- who are all managed by entertainment agency Namoo Actors, took part in a photo shoot for the February issue of Vogue to promote the "Love Tree Project".

"Love Tree Project" raises funds from a charity music album recorded by Namoo artists for underprivileged children who cannot afford medical treatment when they need it.

Besides having their famous faces photographed for a good cause, the stars also shared their personal thoughts about doing good deeds.

"Doing charity work receives publicity when a public figure does it," actress Kim So-yeon explained about the social responsibility of being a celebrity. "And when I heard that is the role of a celebrity, my perspective about sharing changed." The "IRIS" actress has reportedly participated in such charity projects with her agency for the past four years.

"Charity is not something that only certain people can do," actor Kim Kang-woo was quoted as saying. "You can donate not only money but also your talent. I'm still thinking what my talent is that I can share with others."

Actor Jo Dong-hyeok recommended, "It's better to give hands-on help rather than just send money. It feels more real."

2010011815151783601_2.jpg

From left, actress Jeon Hye-bin,actors Lee Gyu-han and Kim Kang-woo [Vogue Korea]

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

01-18-2010

Advertisements, Dramas Effective in Promoting Seoul

More than half of Asian tourists visited Seoul after watching commercials and television dramas of the nation's capital, according to the latest Nielsen survey of 3,200 tourists from China, Japan and Taiwan last October and December.

The survey showed that 52 percent of Chinese, 37 percent of Japanese and 55 percent of Taiwanese tourists came to Korea after watching commercials and/or dramas on the nation's capital.

Other reasons for visiting Seoul included recommendations from family or friends, attractive prices due to the weaker won and discounts on airline tickets or travel products.

The city government interpreted the results as the effect of successful overseas marketing. "It shows that Seoul's image affected the tourists in choosing the capital, more than economic reasons such as the weaker won or cheap prices," a city official said.

Seoul has placed particular emphasis on overseas marketing since 2008.

To promote its image, Seoul produced commercials themed "Infinitely Yours, Seoul" last year featuring popular singers such as TVXQ, Super Junior and Girls' Generation.

The commercials were aired in China, Japan and other Southeast Asian countries as well as uploaded on YouTube.

The clips, including every commercial, were viewed more than 2 million times on YouTube.

The exposure rate was relatively high. Eight out of 10 tourists saw the commercial and some 80 percent liked them.

In addition, the city shot a documentary "Hip Korea" starring Rain and Lee Byung-hun, and supported the filming of hit dramas such as "Boys Over Flowers" and "Iris" with the backdrop of Seoul's tourist attractions such as the Cheonggye Stream and the rainbow fountain on the Banpo Bridge.

Seoul also promotes itself through sports. For instance, the city held Dream Match, a charity soccer game with players from Manchester United and singer Rain, and Seoul Snow Jam, an international snowboarding event.

Kang Cheol-won, the city's public relations director general, said the year 2010 will be a stepping stone for Seoul.

"Seoul aims to be an attractive tourist destination not only for Asia but the whole world," Kang said. "With international events such as the World Design Capital 2010 and the G20 summit in November, this year is going to be an opportunity for Seoul to leap forward."

Credits :  Kwon Mee-yoo, Staff Reporter (meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr) 

Source : The Korea Times

January 19, 2010

MBC refutes ‘Seondeok’ plagiarism allegations

The hit TV drama “Queen Seondeok,” which ended last month, made news last month when a writer filed a lawsuit accusing MBC, the drama’s producer, of plagiarism.

In its first public comments about the lawsuit, which was filed by writer Kim Ji-young, producer MBC called the allegations groundless.

“I don’t understand why Kim would make such claims,” said Cho Jung-hyun, the head of MBC’s drama department.

Kim, 34, who is the director of local content provider Great Works, claims that MBC stole elements of the script she wrote in 2005 for a musical she titled “Seondeok, Queen of Mugunghwa.”

She filed a plagiarism lawsuit against MBC on Dec. 31.

“The core plot of the TV drama is almost the same as mine,” said Kim.

But MBC refutes her claim. “We couldn’t find a script by Kim anywhere,” Cho said.

According to Kim, MBC copied several plot devices that she invented for her script. Kim says she invented a story line in which Queen Seondeok clashes with Misil, a power-hungry character, and a romance between Queen Seondeok and Yu-sin, a male protagonist. Kim also asserts that she created a scene in which young Queen Seondeok escapes to the desert. The MBC drama contains all of these plot twists, which are not based on history but which Kim says she invented.

“The rivalry between Queen Seondeok and Misil is not a fact but was my own creation. It wouldn’t be the same if there hadn’t been an act of plagiarism,” Kim said. “I once shared some of my scripts with the Korea Creative Content Agency to attract investment in the musical, and I believe that’s when the content was leaked.”

Kim says she will apply for an injunction for copyright infringement of the musical version of the drama, which is currently playing in theaters.

But MBC has stood firm, and says it will consider filing a lawsuit against Kim if she does not withdraw her lawsuit against them.

“The law will decide who is wrong and who is right, and she can’t avoid her responsibility [for making such statements],” Cho said.

Queen Seondeok recorded an audience share of 40 percent during its run last year, which is rare in the television drama industry.

Credits: Kim Jeen-kyung [so@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

January 19, 2010

Korea a computer graphics hub?

Culture ministry plans to invest $178M into the industry until 2013

18210546.jpg

Posters of recent Korean films that use computer graphics, from left to right: “Jeon

Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard,” “Haeundae,” and “The Host.” Provided by the production

companies

It’s not something Koreans haven’t heard before: a promise to make Korea “a hub” of something. We’ve had proposals for business hubs, logistics hubs, R&D hubs and the list goes on.

Well, this time the Korean government says it will make Korea a hub of computer graphics, taking its cue from the explosive success of the 3-D film “Avatar,” which is laden with computer graphics.

As of last week, James Cameron’s Hollywood blockbuster had racked up more than $1.6 billion in sales worldwide, according to U.S.-based Box Office Mojo, becoming second highest grossing movie of all time after Cameron’s 1998 film “Titanic,” which earned $1.8 billion worldwide.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism unveiled last week an ambitious plan to inject 200 billion won ($178 million) into the computer graphics industry through 2013 to transform Korea into the Asian hub for computer graphics. Its strategy includes measures such as financial and tax benefits, technical and equipment support, training and research and development projects.

“Korea’s CG technology has already reached a notable level,” said Culture Minister Yu In-chon at a recent press conference. “We believe given the right direction and support from the government, it will just be the matter of time before Korean CG businesses become global market leaders.”

Meanwhile, experts believe the VFX, or visual effects, including computer-generated imagery, is becoming more important than ever.

But it does make one wonder about the relationship between Korea and CG technology. Is Korea really ready to compete with its foreign counterparts in U.S., Europe and New Zealand, markets with advanced computer graphics technology?

Korean officials do have a list of recent CG films and dramas that were made in Korea and that have been successful, including “Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard,” “Take Off,” “Haeundae,” “Iris” and “The Host.”

For example, Haeundae, a natural-disaster film, spent up to 40 percent of its budget on computer graphics. That is a significant amount, considering that Korean-made films usually spend 5 percent of their budgets on CG. Films made in the United States, meanwhile, allocate somewhere between 20 and 30 percent of their production budgets for computer graphics, according to data from the Motion Picture Association of America.

“The positive sign is that these days the use of computer graphics is discussed in the very early stages of a film’s production,” said Jeong Seong-jin, the president of EON, which did the computer graphics for Take Off, an action film about Korea’s national ski jumping team.

Jeong showed in his presentation how the actors’ faces were put on the faces of real ski jumpers.

But the reality is that it will be a challenge for Korea to build its CG industry to keep pace with the rest of the world.

The size of Korea’s film CG market is about 25 billion won, experts say, which is about 1 percent that of the U.S. film CG industry. Equally surprising is that there are only about 25 major CG companies in Korea, and each operates with an average of just 35 people.

Although not unattainable, one may argue, it certainly seems like there is a rather long way to go before Korea can label itself a hub in this field.

Credits : Kim Hyung-eun [hkim@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

01-19-2010

New Romantic Drama Aiming to Top Period Piece

romantic_drama.jpg

A poster for the upcoming drama ``Still Marry Me.'' The MBC television series

features three independent women who are looking for true love. It starts

airing tonight at 9:55 p.m. /Courtesy of MBC

The upcoming drama ``Still Marry Me'' on MBC is gearing up for a fierce competition against ``Slave Hunters'' (KBS), which holds the top position in ratings for the Wednesday and Thursday drama slot.

``Still Marry Me'' is the sequel to the popular drama ``Marry Me'' that aired six years ago. Created by Kim Min-sik, the producer of the hit drama ``My Wife is a Superwoman'' last year, the drama is aiming to recreate the stylish and confident women from the American television series ``Sex and the City'' in Seoul.

The period drama ``Slave Hunters,'' on the other hand, has captivated fans with not only its catchy storyline of the charismatic slaves and hunters, but also the chiseled and handsome characters. Marking 30 percent in ratings after airing only four episodes, the series starring Jang Hyuk and Oh Ji-ho will be hard to beat.

Yet, ``Still Marry Me'' is targeting young, determined females who are in need of a trendy drama they can connect with.

``There are so many successful and professional women in our workplace, but these 20 to 30 somethings don't have the chance to love. This drama is particularly for them,'' Park Jin-hee, who will appear as broadcast reporter Lee Sin-young, said during a press conference last week.

The series features three independent women _ Lee, interpreter Jeong Da-jeong played by actress Uhm Ji-won and restaurant consultant Kim Bu-gi portrayed by Wang Bit-na _ and their quest for true love.

Lee breaks up with her boyfriend of 10 years, and meets a troubled musician, Ha Min-jae, played by Kim Bum, the former F4 member from ``Boys Over Flowers.'' While Lee and Ha start pushing and pulling on each other's emotions, Jeong gets married to the almost perfect husband, Na Ban-seok, but realizes that tying the knot does not mean finding true love. Na will be played by ``My Wife is a Superwoman'' co-star Choi Cheol-ho. Meanwhile, Kim is done with love and focuses on her career, but when she finds a baby on her doorstep, she struggles to cope with the nostalgia of her glory days.

``We are having so much fun shooting the show and I hope the viewers will get to feel our excitement. (The drama) is filled with humor and the problems of everyday women,'' said Uhm, who is returning to the small screen after seven years.

Having three independent and distinctive female characters may work as a burden for the show's male actors, but Kim Bum equally expressed his excitement of being on the show.

``My character from `Boys Over Flowers' enjoyed being in love; he was romantic and smooth. But Ha is someone who doesn't show his feelings. He's open to possibilities yet mysterious when it comes to revealing his emotions.''

The story may be fictional, but meeting the love of your life is not easy even for the glamorous actresses.

``Of course, I wonder why it's so hard to date!" the currently single Park said. "My first answer would be because we pursue the life of an actress, which makes it hard to meet people. The biggest problem for us is that our chances of meeting new people are very restricted. The second reason would be the stereotypes. People think actresses are snobby and difficult, and this is an obstacle.'' She added that she was afraid to date when she was younger.

``I sympathize with the lines. I find myself in tears just saying them.

``One of the lines that I remember the most was `useless expectations bring hope and with hope you easily get hurt. If he is not the one for me, take my yearning heart away with him.' I just broke into tears.''

Despite the ongoing speculation regarding the two dramas, viewers will get to enjoy the overall competition as the two are drastically different: One masculine and rough, the other trendy and romantic.

``My knees shook when I saw the ratings for `Slave Hunters.' If slave hunters hunt for slaves, I guess that leaves us with no choice. We will be hunting for slave hunters this year,'' the producer Kim said.

``Still Marry Me'' starts airing tonight at 9:55 p.m. on MBC.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

2010/01/20

(2nd LD) Court rules MBC 'not guilty' over controversial U.S. beef report

SEOUL, Jan. 20 (Yonhap) -- A Seoul court Wednesday ruled in favor of five staff members of national TV broadcaster MBC, who were indicted on charges of defaming government officials in a controversial report critical of the administration's decision to resume U.S. beef imports in 2008.

Four producers and a script writer at MBC were indicted without physical detention in June 2009, a year after Seoul's agriculture ministry filed a complaint with the Supreme Prosecutors' Office accusing them of airing a biased report on the safety of U.S. beef.

20100120161603_bodyfile.jpg

"Although there were some exaggerations or errors in translation, it is hard to say they deliberately distorted the facts related to the threat of mad cow disease," Judge Mun Sung-gwan at the Seoul Central District Court said in the verdict.

Prosecutors had sought a two- to three-year prison term for the defendants last December, arguing the much-disputed episode of the investigative program "PD Notebook" defamed then Agriculture Minister Chung Woon-chun and Min Dong-seok, one of the negotiators in the U.S. beef import deal, by distorting facts, deliberately mistranslating interviews with several Americans and exaggerating the threat of mad cow disease associated with U.S. beef.

Citing reports that South Koreans were genetically more susceptible to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease -- the human form of mad cow disease -- and footage of downer cattle believed to have been infected with the disease, the court said there were sufficient grounds to suspect the safety of U.S. beef at the time.

"As the program criticized the resumption of imports of U.S. beef, based on expert opinion and research results, it cannot be considered to have caused harm to the reputation of the officials," Mun said.

Prosecutors had argued that local concerns over U.S. beef were largely fueled by the investigative news program.

The Lee Myung-bak government faced a massive public backlash following an agreement with Washington to lift almost all restrictions on U.S. beef, including age requirements of butchered cattle, just two months after its inauguration in February 2008.

The decision touched off weeks of street protests throughout the summer of that year, forcing the Lee administration to renegotiate detailed terms with Washington.

South Korea initially halted imports of U.S. beef in 2003 after a case of mad cow disease was confirmed in the State of Washington.

Wednesday's ruling comes at a time when the prosecution is at odds with the judiciary, following the recent acquittal of minority Democratic Labor Party chief Kang Ki-kab of charges of violent behavior at the National Assembly during a struggle against a U.S free trade bill.

Prosecutors at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office denounced the court's decision and said they will appeal the case.

"We have grappled with this case, and the result is unacceptable," said a senior prosecutor in charge of the case. "The fact that (MBC) staff intentionally distorted the facts was clearly acknowledged in the evidences submitted to the court, and the defendants and witnesses admitted part of the facts."

Min, the negotiator of the beef deal, also denounced the ruling, saying the program made him look like a "traitor" and caused "irreparable damage" to his 30-year career as a civil servant.

"The court's decision is regrettable," Min told reporters. "PD Notebook led a large number of people to participate in the anti-U.S. beef street rally, by inspiring them with fabricated, distorted, and exaggerated reports based on their ideological bias."

Media groups, including the MBC Producers Association and the Korea Broadcast Journalist Association, hailed the decision.

"It is a natural outcome that allows the media to continue to judge government decisions and keep it from being totalitarian, and defends public accountability and democracy," the groups said in a joint statement.

"What PD Notebook tried to show was that the government should put top priority on public health when importing beef that could potentially spread a deadly disease," the statement said.

A head producer of PD Notebook, Cho Neung-hee, said the prosecution had launched an "unreasonable" investigation from the beginning.

MBC has refused to present the original material of the controversial April broadcast, saying prosecutors are trying to censor media to pander to the conservative Lee government.

"I've never had doubts about PD Notebook, that it might be wrong," Cho said by telephone. "If suffering is meant to be the media's destiny so it can watch and criticize the government, we are ready to fight any time."

Asked to comment on the controversial ruling, the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae refused to answer.

"Silence will be our answer," spokesman Park Sun-kyoo said at a press briefing. "It is not appropriate for Cheong Wa Dae to comment on the issue."

Credits : Kim Eun-jung (ejkim@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

2010-01-20

Actor Song Picks Married Han as Ideal Type

Heartthrob actor Song Seung-heon appeared on the KBS-2TV entertainment show "Sweet Night" (MC Sin Dong-yeob, Kim Hye-jin), which aired Sunday.

When he appeared in the studio, the female cast members (comedian Lee Gyeong-sil, actress Lee Eui-jeong, Ga-in of Brown Eyed Girls, Ka-hi of After School, the youngest supermodel Kim Hye-jin, entertainer Kim Na-young, actress Kim Jeong-min and Q-ri of T-ara) and even the men (Kim Jong-min, Kim Young-cheol) gasped and became excited.

Song showed off his fun side, showcasing a Michael Jackson dance with Kim Jong-min and the Abracadabra dance with Ga-in. He also said he was good friends with fellow star actors Lee Byeong-heon, Gwan Sang-wu, Jeong Wu-seong, Lee Jeong-jae and Bae Yong-jun and shared stories about them. Of this "good looking gang," he said he thought Byeong-heon was the most handsome.

354_958_l.jpg

▲ Dancing with Kim Jong-min, Ga-in

Song then took part in the Round of 32 of the My Ideal Type World Cup. He narrowed down the 32 candidates to married actress Han Ga-in and Yoona of the idol girl group Girls' Generation.

354_959_l.jpg

▲ Final round of My Ideal Type World Cup

Song eventually chose the married Han. He said in a message to her, "Hello, I saw you briefly at Gwon Sang-wu's wedding but I was nervous and I couldn't talk. I still have butterflies. Jeong-hun (her actor husband) is lucky. I wish you two happiness."

Writer: Honorary reporter No Ji-won

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Archived