[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

January 14, 2010

'High Kick' season finale pushed back two weeks

13203753.jpg

The second season of the MBC sitcom "High Kick" has been extended for another two weeks.

An MBC employee said, "We decided to push back the season two series finale because we needed more time to wrap up the characters' story lines. The newly scheduled finale will air March 19."

Three days later, the third season of High Kick will begin on March 22. High Kick's first season aired from 2006 to 2007 and season two began in September 2009.

In season three, the show will continue to revolve around ordinary life but the story line will focus on three sisters.

Actresses Ye Ji-won and Choi Yeo-jin have been cast as two of the sisters; casting of the third female lead is yet to be determined.

Credits : Hannah Kim, Contributing writer

Source : JoongAng Daily

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Boys Over Flowers' star in new romantic series

201001140056.jpg

Rom-com fans rejoice: MBC is bringing an upbeat romance to a timeslot otherwise dominated by an action-heavy period piece and a melodrama.

"Still Marry Me," a spin-off of MBC's 2004 "Marry Me," will continue to chart the escapades of its 30-something and single heroine Lee Sin-young.

When asked if "Still Marry Me" could be defined as a second season of "Marry Me," a MBC representative said over the phone. "It is not really a sequel. It has a feel that is similar to that."

Original scriptwriter Kim In-young will play a strong connective role in imbuing the upcoming drama with the same feisty characters that gave "Marry Me" its addictive zest.

"Lost And Found" actress Park Jin-hee, 32, will be replacing "Marry Me" lead Myung Se-bin as the heroine. Two new female characters, played by actresses Uhm Ji-won and Wang Bit-na, will fill in for Lee's former gal pals and carry on the girl talk legacy that led the original to be dubbed the Korean version of HBO's "Sex and the City."

But it is the new male lead that promises to garner the most attention. "Boys Over Flowers" Kim Bum is signed on to star as Lee Sin-young's hot and young love interest.

The 20-year old actor seems inclined to opt for challenging roles.

After "Boys Over Flowers," he played a K-1 fighter in SBS' "Dream" before donning the role of a "host" (someone who specializes in entertaining or catering to female clientele, usually at a bar or club) in the movie "Fly Up." Now he is tackling the role of a collegiate indie band musician who falls for an older woman. "In truth, I was very concerned about it," he expressed his initial reaction to the younger man in love with older woman plotline in a press release from MBC. The press release detailed an interview between the star and the drama's production crew.

"I think that co-star Park Jin-hee probably felt the same way."

"I even wondered if we would really be able to appear as though we were truly a couple in love," Kim Bum continued. "But filming started, I started to work with Park Jin-hee, and I thought, thanks to Lee Sin-young, this could be a warm winter, and my concerns and worries went away."

When asked about the relationship between Kim Bum's and Park Jin-hee's characters, the MBC representative answered: "It could be seen as the central romance."

According to the press release, Kim Bum and co-star Park met near Seorae Village in the early stages of filming to analyze the romantic relationship between their characters. Kim Bum also revealed that he is learning how to play the guitar for his role as a musician and composer.

In the new drama, 24-year old Ha Min-jae (Kim Bum) encounters 34-year old newsroom broadcast reporter Lee Sin-young (Park Jin-hee) on campus. The two start off quibbling when they meet again after Lee breaks Ha's guitar string because she thinks he is interfering with her reporting and then she comes to teach a special lecture class at his college. Over the weeks, Ha finds himself growing subconsciously attracted to her, an initial feeling that eventually develops into love.

"My Too Perfect Sons" actor Lee Pil-mo and "My Wife is a Superwoman" actor Choi Cheol-ho will also be starring in "Still Marry Me." Lee will be playing Lee Sin-young's ex-boyfriend. Choi is cast as an oriental medicine doctor who goes on a blind date with heroine Lee but ends up courting Lee's friend.

Slated to air next Wednesday, MBC's new drama is entering the Wednesday and Thursday night ratings race two weeks after KBS' "The Slave Hunters" started airing. "The Slave Hunters" stepped up to the ratings throne from the day it first aired and continues to remain the ratings leader, nabbing nationwide ratings of 27.2 percent (TNS Media Korea) on Wednesday.

Will "Still Marry Me" be able to put a dent in the period piece's current success?

"Still Marry Me" first airs on Jan. 20 on MBC at 9:55 p.m.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Joo Ji-hoon to enter military next month

2010011409044851173_1.jpg

Korean actor Joo Ji-hoon [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Joo Ji-hoon will be entering the military next month to fulfill Korea's mandatory military service, according to a source on Thursday.

The actor, who recently received a letter of notice from the military, was reportedly asked to enter the army service by February 2.

A source close to the actor explained that Joo plans to do so as he had thought of fulfilling his military duties early into his career. Joo will be serving as a full-time officer on the reserves forces.

Joo, 27, is a former model who became popular after making his acting debut in the hit 2006 drama "Goong".

He made headlines last year after admitting that he had taken ecstasy and ketamine on several occasions. He was sentenced to a six-month jail term suspended for a year along with 120 hours of community service, and has not been working since the scandal.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Lee Byung-hun to star in Kim Ji-woon's thriller pic

2010011413343483369_1.jpg

(From left) Actors Lee Byung-hun, Choi Min-sik and director Kim Ji-woon

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun has joined the cast of a new thriller film by famed director Kim Ji-woon, according to Lee's agency BH Entertainment on Thursday.

An official at BH explained that Lee is set to star in the film -- titled "I Saw The Devil" -- although the actor has not finished signing the contract as of yet.

Famed actor Choi Min-sik of Cannes award-winning director Park Chan-wook's film "Old Boy" had already confirmed his appearance in the movie, set to start filming next month.

Lee will play the role of a man who plots revenge against a psychopath killer, played by Choi, after his girlfriend gets murdered.

Kim has directed several notable films including "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003) and the critically-acclaimed "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" (2008).

Lee, 39, has starred in numerous television dramas and films including Kim Ji-woon's "A Bittersweet Life" (2005) and "Weird". Choi has appeared in more than a dozen Korean movies, most notably "Oldboy"(2003) and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"(2005).

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Bae Doona wins best actress award at Japanese film fest

2010011414594578584_1.jpg

Korean actress Bae Doona [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Bae Doona has been named Best Actress at the 23rd Takasaki Film Festival in Japan, according to the festival's official website on Thursday.

The actress won the award for her role in Japanese film "Air Doll", claiming her second win for the part at a film event. She will be receiving another acting title at the Japan Academy Awards on March 5.

"I think the year 2010 will be a special year for me as an actor," the actress was quoted as saying. "I'm very happy and glad with my new drama being so loved by fans and now I've received the news of winning Best Actress."

Takasaki Film Festival -- which will be held from March 27 thru April 11 -- is considered one of the biggest and most credible regional film events in Japan. "Air Doll" has reportedly won a total of five awards at the event including Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor/Actress.

Bae, 30, has appeared in many television dramas and films including "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (2002) and the box-office hit "The Host" (2006). She currently stars as an English teacher in the KBS2 TV series "God of Study", which premiered last week.

2010-01-14

Lee Na-young: 'Acting is so difficult for me'

Actress Lee Na-young is unique. She has a strong individuality as an actress in movies--showing hesitating attitudes, speaking in a low mumble, and expressing emotions through her eyes.

For Lee, portraying unrequited love is her specialty. Lee shows her personality well through the movies “Please Teach Me English” and “Some Special.” She played Young-ju, who secretly loves Mun-su (Jang Hyuk), in “Please Teach Me English" (2002, Director: Kim Sung-su), and Han E-yeon, who loves Dong Chi-sung for 10 years, in the movie "Some Special."

Now, Lee Na-young once again plays a character who hesitates to express her love. The character that she plays cannot easily express her feelings due to being a transsexual.

Lee plays Son Ji-hyun, who had a sex change to become a woman, in the movie "Dad likes Women" (Director: Lee Kwang-jae) to be released on January 14.

7259_767_l.jpg

In an interview at a hotel in Sokong-dong, Lee said, “I thought the idea of portraying a transsexual in a comedy was fresh for a movie. But for the first time, I was afraid the acting might negatively affect my image as an actress. However, I decided to take the role because it is a warm story.”

She added, ”Strangely enough, it was not awkward to act in the role of a man. I wore training wear in the movie because I like to wear baggy clothes and enjoy exercising. The 'Tae Kwon Punch' is my specialty (laughing). However, most of all, I had hard time exploring and interpreting the character of Son Ji-hyun.”

The movie comically shows the love of Ji-hyun, who is a transsexual photographer, and special makeup artist Jun-seo. Lee showed off her personal magnetism in “Dad likes Women,” even though it’s been two years since she was last seen in a movie ("Dream" directed by Kim Ki-duk, 2008).

In “Dad likes Women,” people might think Lee is cute and amusing with her inarticulate speaking style and “Tae Kwon Punching” as a man. Lee had received criticism from people because her acting styles in movies have been described as too similar up to now. For instance, her acting in “Some Special” and “Dad likes Women” bore some similarity.

7259_768_l.jpg

Lee said, ”If people say my acting styles are too similar in my recent movies, I don’t know what to say. However, I don’t agree. I think there are differences somehow. Anyway, acting is very difficult. Yes, it is absolutely hard.”

When a reporter asked what kind of movie she is interested in playing as an actress, Lee replied, smiling, “I don’t have any preference. I would like to act in action movies and comedies, but I’m not too choosy about it because of the difficult situation in the movie industry."

In actuality, her movies did not achieve any significant commercial success. Her movies received little attention when it came to box office numbers, except for “Maundy Thursday" (Director: Song Hae-sung, 2006). The movie “Some Special” drew a mere 740,000 audience members and the movie “Dream” sold only 90,000 tickets.

Lee said, “I choose a movie based on its popularity instead of its quality when I read the script. While I was reading the script for 'Dream,' I thought it was very fun. I thought, ‘This is a real comedy,’ but the audience seemed to have different opinions.”

7259_769_l.jpg

Lee said watching movies and reading novels are her favorite hobbies. Lee replied without hesitation when asked to name her favorite actors and writers. She said, “The combination of Pedro Almodovar and Penelope Cruz is perfect. My favorite actors and movie makers are Wood Allen, Jean Pierre Jeunet, Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, the Coen brothers, Julian Moore, Choi Yoon, etc.”

When a reporter asked what type of actor she would like to be, Lee thought intently and said, “I want to be a actor who is fun and interesting to people.”

Source : KBS GLOBAL

Lee Byung-hun to receive Asian Star award tomorrow

2010011410383274928_1.jpg

Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun [Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun will receive the Asia Star award at the 2010 Asia Model Awards tomorrow, according to the Korea Model Association (KMA) on Thursday.

At the event, hosted by KMA and KOFICE (Korea Foundation for International Culture Exchange), the actor will be commended for his contribution in promoting Asian cultural content through his acting work.

The Asia Model Awards, into its fifth year, is a cultural festival which is attended by top fashion models and modeling industry executives from the Asian region. The event purports to promote cultural content exchange among Asian countries not only in modeling, but fashion and pop culture in general.

Lee, 39, is one of South Korea's most successful actors who has appeared in numerous television dramas and films. He made his Hollywood debut last year in the action flick "G.I. Joe" and starred in Korea's major blockbuster drama "IRIS" for which he won the grand prize at the 2009 KBS Acting Awards.

The event -- to be broadcast in 21 countries in Asia -- will take place at Seoul's Olympic Park Olympic Hall on January 14 and 15.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

01-14-2010

Actor Lee Byung-hun Will Receive Asia Model Award

101114_p15_lee.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun

Actor Lee Byung-hun will receive the Asia Star Award at the 5th Asia Model Festival Awards, Friday evening in Seoul, said the Korea Model Association.

Lee will take home the award in recognition of his contribution to boosting cultural exchanges through acting as well as his stint as a model.

The 39-year-old most recently appeared in the Hollywood movies ``G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra'' and ``I Come with the Rain.'' He also made headlines for his role in the blockbuster TV series ``Iris,'' for which he received the Grand Prize at the 2009 KBS Acting Awards. He was also invited to appear on CNN's ``Talk Asia,'' which highlights Asian stars, as its first guest in 2010.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

2010/01/14

S. Korea to invest $178 million in 3-D industry

SEOUL, Jan. 14 (Yonhap) -- The government said Thursday that it will inject 200 billion won (US$178 million) into its computer graphics industry over the next four years, taking a cue from the 3-D Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar" now sweeping global box offices.

The funding scheme unveiled by Yu In-chon, minister of culture, tourism and sports, seeks to make South Korea the Asian hub of CG production, particularly three dimensional technology used in cinema, by providing equipment support, training and tax breaks just as the government in New Zealand and Canada assist their own film industries.

20100114135313_bodyfile.jpg

"Korean CG technology has already reached a considerably high level and is in constant exchange with Hollywood. We believe Korean CG will be able to become the market leader soon if the government sets up the right policy direction," Yu said in a press conference.

Korea has achieved about 82 percent of Hollywood's CG technology capability and aims to elevate that rate to 90 percent by 2013, a key to garnering production orders from U.S. movie producers, Yu said.

James Cameron's "Avatar," which tells the story of a disabled marine who infiltrates giant blue aliens inhabiting a faraway planet, grossed $1.37 billion in worldwide sales as of Tuesday, according to U.S.-based Box Office Mojo, becoming the No. 2 movie of all time after Cameron's earlier film "Titanic."

"Avatar showed the potential for an explosive marketability of the 3-D industry and brought a paradigm change from two-dimensional to three-dimensional filmmaking," Yu noted.

South Korea's recent CG films, including "Jeon Woo Chi," "Jump" and "Haeundae," also became local hits.

In detail, the ministry plans to create a CG investment fund worth 50 billion won and help with financing for the purchase of expensive digital equipment for small-scale producers of digital films.

Source : Yonhap News

January 14, 2010

Former Baby VOX member sings with 2PM

13203652.jpg

Singer-turned-actress Yoon Eun-hye has contributed her talents to a new single by the boy band 2PM.

Yoon started her career as a member of the girl group Baby V.O.X. and launched her acting career with the role of Shin Chae-Kyeong in the hit MBC drama “Princess Hours” in 2006. The song, “Tik Tok,” tells the story of a celebrity who is involved in a secret love affair.

An employee of JYP Entertainment, 2PM’s management company, said, “With the addition of Yoon, the affectionate feelings of the lovers are expressed well.”

After it was released on the Internet on Jan. 12, the song quickly went to No. 1 on several online charts and could be a follow-up to the hit single “Heartbeat” released last fall.

[iNTERVIEW]

Actress Lee Na-young (Part 1)

2010011316083025209_1.jpg

Actress Lee Na-young [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Most actresses which men rave about, are less liked by women. But a handsome number of female fans became enchanted with Lee Na-young's roles in TV series such as "Ruler of Your Own World" and "Ireland." And words such as 'consistency,' 'sturdiness' and 'prudence' -- normally used to describe someone of the male gender -- also befit this 31-year-old actress well.

She was the same on the set of film "Lady Daddy." The Lee Na-young that 10Asia met with sighed as she jokingly complained how the female members of the crew would ask for photographs with her when she dressed up as a man in particular, much more so than when she was herself. But it seemed unlike that her image as an actress will be affected after she dons a mustache and short hair to play her character Ji-hyun.

Below is 10Asia's interview with the actress who seeks after what she wants, even if it may be the long way around.

10: I hear that you choose your roles quite carefully so "Lady Daddy" was an surprising choice in many ways.

Lee Na-young (Lee): I made my mind up very quickly for film "Dream" and sitcom "High Kick 2" but took more time with "Lady Daddy" because many people around me were concerned about it. Before, I had never thought about 'image' in choosing a role but it seemed I should with this film since the topic may influence my image as an actress in Korea. That's why some people were telling me, "As an actress..." but in the end, I decided to think about my character and genre more than my image.

10: So what was the key factor that led you to take on "Lady Daddy"?

Lee: I liked the combination of comedy with the possibly risky topic we are usually careful to talk about. Sex change in particular is something Koreans are not used to and have little information or knowledge about. So I was extremely attracted to the collaboration of the topic and genre, and another thing was that I wanted to play the role of a man. I was very shocked upon seeing Kate Blanchett's acting in the film "I'm Not There." I had never thought I'd be able to play the role of a guy but also started wondering whether such an opportunity would arise in our country too. That's why, when I got the scenario for this film, I was worried about it. But I also told myself that it was unlikely I'd be given the chance to play this sort of a role again. That's why for me, what was important was 'being a guy' and not dressing up as one, whether it be as the person from his past or as a dad.

10: Then is the Ji-hyun you played from his college days an homage to Kate Blanchett from "I'm Not There"?

Lee: Yes, because I had really wanted to try playing the role. That's why my hair was actually more curly when I was in filming than it is now. And I wore a lot of British style clothes like v-neck sweaters. It's weird but I tend to copy guys a lot. (laugh)

10: How was it playing Ji-hyun from when he was a male versus a female?

Lee: It was the same throughout the film. What was most difficult for me from the very beginning was fighting against the stereotypes that I have. My character wanted to be a girl so she should seem more feminine as a guy, she should act more cute in front of guys after becoming a woman, and there would still be some masculine sides to her when she dresses up as a dad later since its in her genes... These were the thoughts I had but after meeting with people who have undergone sex change, reading books about them and interview they've done, I realized they're all different as all people are. They too are lazy when it comes to make-up, go on diets, worry about meeting guys but it's just difficult to express that into a style that one can notice. There will be people who can't make friends because they are bad at sports and then get hurt after trying too hard, while others just won't because they don't care whether they're bad. That's how different all people are. So when I thought about my character from "Lady Daddy," I figured she would have always been very feminine, even before she became a female.

2010011316083025209_4.jpg

10: I think that's why although you were playing the role of a man, you showed a woman who is trying to act like a man rather than trying to be like a real man.

Lee: I looked at many people's faces after deciding to do this film, thinking how he or she would look as a person of the opposite sex. But it seemed they could still be the opposite gender with the faces they currently have. So although I had considered changing my facial features for when I play a male versus female, I ended up deciding not to since it might look like I tried too hard. Ji-hyun had to act like a man just in front of her son Yoo-bin, not anyone else. I thought that Ji-hyun's idea of a dad probably wouldn't deviate much from the average woman's mind so I couldn't help it even if others think, 'Oh, that's just Lee Na-young.'

10: You've played roles opposite a large variety of actors including Yang Dong-geun, Jung Jae-young, Gang Dong-won and Odagiri Jo. It must've felt quite different though since it should be said your partner this time was child actor Kim Hee-soo.

Lee: I was a bit nervous because I don't get the chance to meet children often. When we first met to practice our lines, I said hello to him in the honorific form of language. And I did think to myself, 'Anyone who sees this might say I'm crazy,' but it was so hard to treat him with complete ease just because of the fact that he's young. I think we worked together pretty well together though because he's just like the character he plays in the movie -- he's very cool and doesn't try to show off his talent like other child actors do. We became very comfortable around each other while shooting the scene where we hang out while I'm dressed up as his dad.

10: Although "Lady Daddy" is a comedy, there are moments where Ji-hyun and Yoo-bin's loneliness or pain surface, one after another. Which of those scenes was most memorable to you?

Lee: I saw that a surprisingly large number of female viewers cried during the movie but I think everyone becomes moved at different points. I had told the director that I don't want to cry when the audience does. 'You should understand my pain. This is how much it hurts. You have to cry with me,' is what I had felt with other films but this time, even if I do cry, I didn't want to force it or plea for it. I think the theme of this film, and it's a line I had said even though it got cut, is "I know you don't understand but accept me. I'm happy right now." Ji-hyun isn't asking for understanding but asking not to be pushed aside if the other person can accept her even a bit. That's why for me, I was sad when I saw Ji-hyun's back after she dresses up as a dad and Joon-suh has put on her wig for her. I thought of how horrible it must feel having to wear a short wig and put on a mustache in front of the guy she has fallen in love for the first time and wants to spent the rest of her life with.

2010011318260516784_5.jpg

10: "Lady Daddy" is a commercial film but you must have felt some pressure since you're the main character.

Lee: To be honest, up till recently, I hadn't been too concerned about that. And whenever I choose a film, I had always thought it would do well. I had so much fun filming "Dream" too! But it turns out that the movies I work on don't affect the box office immediately but gets response later on. The DVDs for "Someone Special" sell well and "Who Are You" keeps getting shown on TV. Why couldn't they have gotten response from the very start? (laugh) But I did this film because it was really fun, everyone put in a lot of effort and I put in a lot of love into it so I many people watch it. It's hard to predict how well a film will do though so I want to know what other people think about it, more so because this is a comedy. I was curious about how people saw my acting with "Dream" and "Our Happy Time" but with "Lady Daddy," I want to know whether I worked well with the audience.

10: Making a cameo appearance in "High Kick 2" was a fun choice, even if it was to promote "Lady Daddy." Actors usually choose to appear in talk shows for promotion. What did you want through "High Kick"?

Lee: Some people might think, "Oh, did she really have to go so far." And some may feel sorry for me having worn a mustache. But making someone laugh can create an affection. I thought I would like it if people would enjoy themselves looking at me, even if I look weird on screen.

10: Well, it's on air right now. Don't you want to watch it?

Lee: No. Because it's embarrassing. Maybe it's because I haven't been on TV for such a long time. No, when I'm working on dramas, I become completely absorbed with my character and act as I please, no matter what others will say. So I'm usually too busy watching my own acting. But it feels like I've been placed on the chopping block with "High Kick."

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

[iNTERVIEW]

Actress Lee Na-young (Part 2)

2010011317072400913_1.jpg

10: Is it because you have to enter into a world that has already been established?

Lee Na-young (Lee): Of course. The character Lee Na-bong that I played in "High Kick 2" doesn't have a story like the other characters have. That's why it's even more embarrassing to enter that family-like world and leave it after shouting a few words. I think I'll watch it later on. If the response is good, I'll watch it within the next couple of days but probably much later on if it's quiet.

10: What are you most worried about?

Lee: That I might not be funny. I really wanted to deliver the element of 'fun' to the audience through "High Kick." [upon hearing the sound of people's laughter outside] Ah... They're probably laughing because Mr. Jung Bo-suk is funny. What do I do... I'm so ashamed. I think I become ashamed much easier than I used to.

10: Why do you think that's happening?

Lee: I don't know. But I say I'm embarrassed much more than I used to. Whatever it is, even with taking photographs, it's so embarrassing. What do you think is the reason?

10: But isn't it possible to become more shameless and used to something if you do it for a long time?

Lee: What I've been thinking these days is that as an actor, no, not just for actors but for everyone, there are things which you should get used to but also never get used to. That's the hard part.

10: Does it embarrass you to think you have become used to something?

Lee: That would mean I've become unctuous. Not losing my sentimentality, not becoming unctuous and having a shyness to the extent it won't make the other person around you feel uncomfortable is my principle in life. I also think it's funny when people use the expression 'your acting is improving.' I mean, so do you get better and end up becoming perfect at it? (laugh) I'd rather show acting that is full of sincerity even if it isn't perfect. Of course, I know the audience have their own set of expectations and I'd get better depending on my filmography.

2010011317411760612_2.jpg

10: You went on the set of a drama for the first time in six years for "High Kick." It must have seemed a bit strange.

Lee: I was extremely embarrassed. Starting with the fact that I'd have to act funny with a moustache on my upper lip in a world where everything has already been established. But I was able to finish the shoot thanks to my partner Choi Daniel who helped me out a lot. It's actually the first time I've come in direct contact with someone so much. I slapped his bottom, kissed his cheek, slapped the back of his head... But when I kissed Choi, he said, "Hey, you're not a guy but you're bristly!" (laugh) The funny part came when I had to snatch away everyone's food and eat it. It reminded me of the scene from "Ocean's Eleven" where Brad Pitt walks around eating chocolate. I had always wanted to try that sort of acting. Anyway, I hope I was funny.

10: What makes you want to take on a role when you get a script?

Lee: My standards have become very vague in that sense. There are times I go for a role, regardless of the circumstances, when I get a good feeling about it like I did with "Dream" and "High Kick." It was the same with "Ireland" too. I'll sometimes take on a role if I think I'd never get the chance to do it again or I'll do it just for the sake of working with a certain director rather than because I like the scenario.

10: Then what makes you lose interest?

Lee: When I don't find the scenario or the character interesting. It's a bit hard to explain this but I sometimes don't know why I should play certain roles again.

10: Roles that you've played in the past or others?

Lee: Both. I will if there is room for me work with the director to make certain changes but no, I can't do things just because I have to.

10: But what if you still have to?

Lee: Then I will. If I still have to, I'll do it while staying true to myself as much as I can. It actually doesn't happen that often these days but when I first started acting, there were some roles that I thought didn't suit me though I don't know for what reason. I simply thought this isn't the job for me. Before taking up acting and up till college, I didn't know what I like and didn't have a dream. I think I started thinking more about myself while working on different roles. I think I came to realize what suits me, what I like and don't like, while studying the various characters I was given to play.

10: If there was a time that you thought your job isn't for you at all, how did you come to change your mind?

Lee: It was because of the movie "Who Are You." That's when I started looking at scenarios and studying different characters. I became really surprised after reading the scenario for "Who Are You?" because it seemed like so much fun. I worried over what I would do if I didn't get the part. The movie was so ahead of its time. It had avatars while the film "Avatars" came out just recently.

10: How do you think your life would have turned out if you had quit acting before "Who Are You?"?

Lee: I don't know. I think I might have left the country to study different languages. I actually started acting while attending an English academy to transfer to a new college. I didn't have a dream in particular back then -- it changed depending on my friends' dreams such as to be a nurse, stewardess or anchorwoman. The only thing I was really ambitious about was language.

10: Are you still ambitious when it comes to language?

Lee: I do try to keep up. But I'm not good. I should try harder if I want to become really good but I just go when I have time to, thinking that I'll probably get better some day.

2010011317411760612_3.jpg

10: If you get good at something, are you the type that finds satisfaction in that you are good at it or do you try to utilize it?

Lee: If I become good at something, I guess I'd be able to put it to some use though it may not be for anything extravagant. So what? I always ask myself that question because I have to do things that I'm the least bit interested in. If I feel something with my heart, it gets delivered to my brain to make my body move. But the things I want to do change after I'm done working on a film or drama in particular. I felt a sudden emptiness after "Dream" so I wanted to fill it up with anything that came to hand. I ended up living on a very tight schedule during which I took lessons to learn English, play the piano, play sports... it was really tough although I wasn't working. (laugh) And after "Lady Daddy," I became scared of watching videos so I started reading. I actually almost never read novels up till high school but for the first time, when I was having a hard time meeting new people, I started reading on set.

10: I think you've beared well in this complex industry for someone of your personality. Do you ever feel your age, the fact that you're in your thirties?

Lee: No. I just think of each year. I can't really tell the difference between 2009 and 2010 either. Time flies just choosing a film, working on establishing a character and then shooting the film itself. A year goes by so quickly. That's why I've never thought, 'I should do this and this because I'm at this age.' If I was given a role as a high school student, I think I'd take it on willingly if I could persuade myself that I'd be able to tell a good story, no matter what others think of it. But to start with, actresses aren't given a large variety of scripts. Of course, it just may be that I'm not aware of it. (laugh)

10: You mentioned that you envied Kate Blanchett's role as a man in "I'm Not There." Were there any roles, played my male actors, that you would want to give a shot at?

Lee: Lee Jung-jae's character from "There is No Sun"! A humane gangster -- you can't help liking his character. And the role Brad Pitt played in "Snatch"... There are so many roles I want to try playing. I also want to try taking on an action film. I think I'd be able to work hard at whichever role I'm given but when I tell people I like to workout, they'll tell me that they can't picture me working out or expect me to stay home all the time. So when I tell them that I'm always outside the house and on the move, they'll ask the same question again the next time I meet them. I guess that's how they want to see me. (laugh) It seems like they're trying to keep me under this veil so I tell them, "I think I might disappear into the fog one day because you keep saying I'm trying to be mysterious."

10: Then what do you want to do from now on, when you unveil yourself?

Lee: When I got asked what I want to do back when I first started my career, I used to answer that I would just like to walk around Myungdong, but I think I've gotten used to this life. I don't think I draw a line between what I think is good and bad anymore. That's why when it comes to acting, I don't worry about my life as an actor anymore but more about what role I'll take on next, how I'll act and how I'll express myself. That's why I can't predict what I want to do or what lies ahead of me. It's also why I feel uneasy but there are many things I find interesting right now so I hope I get to work a lot.

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Choi Hyun-wook sets La Sfera on alarm in "Pasta"

A look into Lee Sun-kyun's character from MBC TV series "Pasta"

2010011417282213735_1.jpg

Actor Lee Sun-kyun, as Choi Hyun-wook in MBC

TV series "Pasta." [MBC]

He looks normal. He sounds normal. The ease with which Choi Hyun-wook (played by Lee Sun-kyun) will try to woo a woman he has met for the first time by saying, "Do you have time tonight? What are you hesitating for? You're supposed to say no the first time," and the grin this newly appointed chef of Italian restaurant La Sfera puts on his first day as he tells the cooks at his kitchen, "This moment where you wait for the first order is always exciting. Be comfortable, do as you always have done," is as smooth as cream.

However, Choi, who has set his mind on conquering this kitchen, starts hurling a shower of insults such as " Go feed this glob of gooey hair-like pasta to your own precious family!", "On the move you bunch of snails!" and "Do you need some cuts in your brain to wake up?" Whoever is dating in his kitchen will be fired after hearing, "I want to tear out your intestines and hang them up like sausages!" and although he likes women, will drive them out of his kitchen, stating "There will be no women in my kitchen." He will also call one of the more dull cooks a carp but at the top of his lungs will scream "You are being impolite to the shrimp! You bunch of rude fools!" if a shrimp is not handled with the utmost care. But with time, you get used to the screaming, then addicted. The tone of his voice rings at as if unearthed from the bottom of hell.

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

Bae Doo-na Named Best Actress

101114_p15_bae.jpg

Actress Bae Doo-na

Actress Bae Doo-na will receive the Best Actress Award at Japan's Takasaki Film Festival, her agency, Barunson Entertainment, said Thursday.

The news comes shortly after the announcement last month that she is to be named Best Actress at the Japan Academy Prize in March, for her role in the film ``Air Doll.'' It is the first time a foreign actress will receive the coveted title.

``Air Doll,'' directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, was invited to prestigious film festivals including Cannes and Pusan (Busan) last year, and opened in Japanese theaters in September. It is about a human-sized inflatable doll that begins to feel emotions, and received positive reviews from critics and the general audience alike. It is Bae's second Japanese film project after ``Linda Linda Linda'' in 2006.

Bae will pick up her trophy at the 23rd Takasaki Film Festival on March 28, after claiming her honor at the 33rd Japan Academy Awards on March 5.

``Air Doll'' has also been chosen by the Takasaki event as the recipient of the awards for Best Film, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor and Actress.

The festival is an annual event that opens in the southern region of Kunma. It features some 70 to 80 local and international films and invites prominent cineastes.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

[REVIEW]

TV series "Will it Snow for Christmas?"

Not once in his life has he not been the smartest in his class. He is also good-looking and can fight well. He still misses the girl he loved when he was in his teens. And he is a man of integrity who will be straightforward to the daughter of his company's chairman. Kang-jin (played by Ko Soo) in SBS TV series "Will it Snow for Christmas?" is not a man. He is a mythical character in existence for the women and the drama is the alter for that myth. When Kang-jin reveals the muscles on his forearms to execute the miracle of driving a nail into Ji-wan's (played by Han Ye-seul) wall, people around him will give their testimony on their sighting. Even Tae-joon (played by Song Jong-ho), the top elite in the Bumseo Group, commits an irregularity out of fear of Kang-jin, the chairman's daughter Woo-sun (played by Sun Woo-sun) praises Kang-jin for his honesty and sturdiness while the owner of the cafe at which Ji-wan works says he would want Kang-jin to be his nephew-in-law.

2010011315330707708_2.jpg

A scene from TV series "Will it Snow for Christmas?" [sBS]

Hence, it seems it will start snowing if Kang-jin says so, and everyone who exists within the world of "Christmas?" is in love with him. It would not be an overstatement to say that Ji-wan and Kang-jin's role in the drama is to show that they have to break up although they love each other and Tae-jun is considered a cowardly man the moment he starts competing with Kang-jin. The balance between the characters crumble and when Kang-jin disappears from the screen, the remaining characters are busy confessing their emotions about him rather than moving the drama forward with their own stories.

"Christmas?" seems to be scenarist Lee Kyung-hee's version of "Twilight." Some people may scream at the drama full of cheesy lines such as "I promised Ji-wan in my dreams. That I would never lose you again" rather than laying forth incidents which are likely to happen. That is why Lee appears to have retrogressed with this show. In MBC TV series "Thank You," she went to the countryside to show how a cold-hearted man living in the city discovers the warm side to him. But in "Christmas," the characters go to the countryside to focus on reenacting past memories. As if she were a dreamy teenage girl, Lee raves over Kang-jin, the character she so perfectly created, and makes all her romantic stories come true through the drama.

Kang-jin's mother (played by Jo Min-soo) shows the sentimentality contained within "Christmas?" She is an adult who has tasted the sweets and bitters of life but also like a teenage girl who tells the wife of the man she loves, "I won't smile in front of him." This is how it can be seen that Lee is retrogressing -- through a sense of exhaustion and denial of adults and the city. In "Christmas?" the city is a place where men like Tae-jun compete. Meanwhile, Kang-jin who grew up in the countryside always plays fair. Both Ji-wan and Kang-jin are characters who fit in better at a cart bar than elegant restaurant and Ji-wan's dream is also to return to the countryside someday. Lee focuses only on the perfect love of the perfect man Kang-jin, while denying the city and the love of adults. Of course, as a result, the number of Kang-jin's female fans continues to increase with each episode. The drama hits the spot of its female viewers by showing Kang-jin loosening his tie during a meeting or agonizing over work. And Ko-soo's natural and clean-cut acting, in which he does try too hard in pretending to be the perfect Kang-jin, brings out an explosive attractiveness to the character.

But with Lee focusing on Kang-jin, it is hard to find the element of warmth regarding humans which were found in her past hit dramas. There is no more drama but just Kang-jin. That is why I am more curious to know where Lee's mind is rather than Ji-wan's. Why has she fled from reality and instead concentrating on this glamorous man's love story? Maybe she, and us, all want to flee this city and meet a man like him.

- Written by Kang Myoung-seok

It is necessary for two people to endure several obstacles in order to make their love desperate and beautiful. It is a well-known formula that the more they go through painful circumstances, where they cannot tell of their love for each other, the deeper their love grows. Here, the easy way would be to introduce a villain -- a necessary tool for delivering the story -- who consumes his life being jealous and trying to interfere with their love. The drama "Will It Snow On Christmas?" does not introduce such an obvious villain, but rather puts restrictions on the young characters with their family members. Living parents (Woo-jeong's father) and dead parents (Kang-jin's father) both serve as obstacles for their romance. The death of a brother (of Ji-wan), who used to be a living cupid while he was alive, becomes a huge obstacle in their love.

2010011315330707708_1.jpg

The reason Ji-wan (played by Han Ye-seul) left Sanchung was because her brother (played by Song Joong-ki) died. The reason her brother died was because he had drowned in the water while looking for a pendant for Kang-jin (played by Ko Soo). The reason Kang-jin was extremely obsessed with the pendant was because it was given to him by his dead father. Tae-joon (played by Song Jong-ho) was conflicted between two women was because his father's life was hanging by a thread (he eventually died) and Jun-su(played by Chun Ho-jin)'s illness will soon be an important variable in the story's development. Aside from the parents of main characters, even Tae-joon's wingman is being loyal to Tae-joon, who provided money for his mother's surgery. Why are there so many family members who were either never around, disappeared or will soon disappear? The long-gone family members haunt the remaining people in the form of huge guilt. The survivors turn away from and give up on their own happiness in order to console the old ghosts.

In "Will It Snow On Christmas?", what makes youth so regrettable is that love is too easily mortgaged by guilt. Sudden tragedies -- like the early death of parents and accidental death of a brother -- are sad but somewhat violent set-ups that serve as convenient devices in the story. When the characters who move within such set-ups walk out into presumed misery, the viewers are too easily convinced to think, "Well, his father died.." or "Well, her brother died.. "

Kang-jin goes one step further in turning away from love -- he plans to pretend that he is a bad guy. The reason that his choice is important is because the weight of the drama ultimately lies on Kang-jin. The drama shined during that brief moment when he met Ji-wan in Sanchung and opened his unwilling heart. And when his heart, which had been sealed up for eight years, closed up as soon as it had opened, the show also embarked on a ruined path. The character Kang-jin, who is as passionate as fire on the inside but never explains anything or resents anyone, always stands alone, tall and lonely. Ji-wan and Tae-joon are just as lonely and pained, but it is disappointing that all of their stories and conflicts are too monotonous and one-dimensional. Viewers grow tired as they watch the characters confirm their love for each other, then quickly change their minds and see the usual dramatic pattern where two people who were supposed to meet at a certain time never do meet. Moreover, the unfulfilled love story of their parents is frustrating as well, even if it serves a mirror that lights the love triangle of the young people from afar. The tears of each character glitter, but their world seems beautiful and artificial only when it is looked at from a distance. What the camera wants to capture when it approaches the characters is not just a sad look in their eyes but logical, detailed movements of their life. Aren't there many other ways to express the inner pain besides playing ballad music in the background?

One wonders where this drama is headed now that Christmas is over and the show feels like a belated love letter. One hopes that Kang-jin, who hides his true feelings and pretends to be bad, is not too late in delivering his heart and that he will be able to save not only Ji-wan but the drama as well.

Written by Cho Ji-young (TV critic)

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

<ⓒ10 Asia All rights reserved>

[PREVIEW]

Movie "Wedding Dress"

2010011422574418680_1.jpg

A scene from film "Wedding Dress" [Road Pictures]

Simply told, film "Wedding Dress" is about a mother who will soon die and her young daughter. But the movie itself is not as simple or cold-hearted as it was just said -- the process of how Go-woon, played by actress Song Yuna and Sorah, by child actor Kim Hyang-gi, are shown spending their remaining time together is sad enough to dry up the viewer's tear ducts. Wedding dress designer Go-woon, who had worked so hard her whole life that she had never packed her daughter's lunchbox before, is diagnosed with stomach cancer one day. When she dies, Sorah will be left alone because her dad passed away much earlier. So Go-woon packs a lunchbox all night long and takes Sorah to the beach to give her daughter memories to cherish after she dies. She also starts making a wedding dress that Sorah will wear one day. But Go-woon's body becomes too fragile and collapses before she completes the wedding dress.

Anticipation Quotient: 5

Watching a sad movie is sometimes similar to the experience of watching a horror film. There is the enjoyment which comes from watching a well-made horror film with an unexpected plot, as well as a raw sort of pleasure which comes from seeing victims die while screaming and splattering blood. Similarly, after one spills out their tears to their hearts content, a catharsis can be experienced even with predictable stories. Director Kwon Hyung-jin, who had already proven his talent in creating sad movies about a child and adult through film "For Horowitz," effectively brought out the tears again in "Wedding Dress" with Kim and Song. It is impossible not to cry in front of the mother who wants to live for her daughter but has nothing left to do for her except make her wedding dress and the nine-year-old Sorah who swallows her tears for her mother because she knows she will be more pained than herself.

Of course, the numerous set-ups intended at drawing tears from the audience have been long existent cliches and the outstanding acting by Kim, whom director Kwon said he felt "honored to be working with," is not enough to cover up the film's flaws. But once in a while, it is not bad discovering a sad and good-natured story which is unlikely to exist in reality. Devising a fantasy to make it seem like a reality is one of the good deeds films provide us with. "Wedding Dress" opens in theaters on January 14.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

<ⓒ10 Asia All rights reserved>

January 15, 2010

Busan Project releases star-studded cast list

‘The film was conceived with the hope that it would help Busan develop into a hub of cinema in Asia.’

The star-studded cast of the Busan Project, an omnibus film project by three directors from Korea, Japan and Thailand, has been released along with the official name of the film.

The film, which is to be called “Camellia,” is being produced by the Pusan International Film Festival, which has become one of the biggest film events in Asia.

While the participating directors were determined when the project was announced, the official title and cast list were up in the air until they were finalized this week.

The cast will include Korean actors Gang Dong-won, Song Hye-kyo, Kim Min-jun and Sul Kyung-gu. They will appear alongside renowned actors from Japan and Thailand, the other two countries represented in the project.

“The name of the film is meaningful because the camellia tree and flower represent the city of Busan,” a press release from the Pusan International Film Festival said yesterday.

The project, which has a budget of 1.5 billion won, is the film festival’s first production. It drew attention last year when it was first announced that directors Jang Joon-hwan (Korea), Isao Yukisada (Japan) and Wisit Sasanatieng (Thailand) would come together to make the film, which will be shot in the southern port city of Busan. “The Busan Project was conceived with the hope that it would help Busan develop into a hub of cinema in Asia, and we thought that it would be great if notable Asian directors could collaborate to make an omnibus film set in Busan with the common theme of love,” PIFF director Kim Dong-ho, who is also the producer of the project, told reporters at the 14th edition of the festival in October.

Gang and Song will star in Korean director Jang’s film, “Love for Sale,” which tells the story of a couple entwined in a fatal love affair in the midst of a highly industrialized society where even love is put up for sale.

Korean actor Sul Kyung-gu and Japanese actress Yuriko Yomini cooperaka will star in Japanese director Yukisada’s film, “Kamome” (“Seagull”), a fantasy-melodrama depicting the love between a movie director and a young lady in present-day Busan.

Korean actor Kim Min-jun and Thai-American actor Michael Shaowanasai will star in the third segment, called “Iron lion king,” by Thai director Sasanatieng. The movie, set in Busan in the 1970s, tells the story of a Thai secret agent, a man disguised as a woman, who slips into the seaside city on a mission and falls for a mysterious Korean guy.

Filming will begin today, starting with Jang’s film, and producers hope to present the film at the Cannes film festival in May.

Credits : Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

January 15, 2010

First-time director gears up for Sundance

14202249.jpg

Filmmaker Lim Woo-seong’s first film will compete

with 13 other entries at the Sundance Film Festival

later this month. [YONHAP]

Director Lim Woo-seong has what people might refer to as an “accurate hunch” when it comes to the filmmaking profession. What he couldn’t have foreseen was his debut film going all the way to the Sundance Film Festival, the largest and most respected independent cinema fete in the United States.

“It’s a huge honor just to be invited,” the 39-year-old filmmaker said in an interview with Yonhap News Agency. “It would be avaricious of me to hope for a win.”

Lim’s first feature, “Vegetarian,” will be competing among 13 other films in the festival’s World Cinema Dramatic Competition later this month. The highbrow drama, which blends the themes of sexual desire, artistry and psychology, is the only local film to have won a spot among some 1,022 entries in the upcoming film fest.

After competing in the 26th Sundance Film Festival, which will run for 10 days from Jan. 21 in the southwestern state of Utah, Vegetarian will hit local theaters on Feb. 18.

“While some Korean viewers said the film was difficult to understand, overseas audiences appear to be more at ease with the detachment and indifference I try to maintain with the characters,” Lim said. “I try not to explain too much or force emotion. This was an easier task with this movie because I empathized with not one, but all the characters.”

Based on Korean writer Han Gang’s short story, Vegetarian was lauded for “exquisitely combining art with sexual desire, walking a tightrope between morality and artistry” after its premiere at Korea’s Pusan International Film Festival last fall.

Lim recalled that his first encounter with the story was like “destiny.”

“I asked to meet the author the day after reading his story in 2005. I had a hunch about it despite the obvious difficulty of adapting the complicated story for a motion picture,” he said. “But I was lucky. I had the author’s full support and trust, and financial backing from the Korean Film Council.”

Selected among five films that received 300 million won ($263,000) in support from the state-run film agency in 2008, Lim immediately began work on the movie, with shooting taking just one month.

While writing the script and weaving together the structure was difficult, the actual filming went smoothly with actors and actresses “putting in their full effort,” Lim said.

Chae Min-seo, who played the film’s main character, came to the set after losing eight kilograms in a month to become the young woman who grows increasingly gaunt after cutting meat out of her diet.

“With actors and actresses at their best performance, the shooting worked out like magic,” the director said.

Vegetarian tells the story of a young artist who becomes obsessed with the desire to physically possess his sister-in-law (played by Chae), who stops eating meat after experiencing strange dreams. By painting her thin body with flowers, he gives full expression to his artistic impulses while also fulfilling his sexual and carnivorous desires.

Being a vegetarian is not only about rejecting meat, but about all human desire, Lim explained.

“I worked on the story for four years, so I was able to understand each and every character very well,” he said. “Art is not something that can be explained in the category of logic or morality, so I understood the artist’s desire, but also empathized with his wife, torn between anger toward her husband and sympathy for her younger sibling.”

Lim, who studied at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, is currently adding the final touches to his second feature “Scar,” also based on a short story by novelist Han.

“I am very much interested in visualizing well-written stories. I think doing this is one of the roles given to filmmakers,” Lim said. “Scar features a married couple dealing with the emotional and physical wounds that become a source of tension between them.”

Lim, who called himself a “devoted film buff,” named Taiwanese director Ang Lee as one of his favorite directors.

“I am always astounded by his ability to create the best work while crossing so many different genres,” he said. “I saw his ‘Lust, Caution’ several times.”

“I am currently developing a scenario and a few other items I have in mind,” he added.

Credits : JoongAng Daily

Lee Jun-ki's "Hero" ends with low ratings

2010011509384431786_2.jpg

Lee Jun-ki in an official poster for "Hero" [MBC]

MBC TV series "Hero", starring Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki, saw a bitter end to its two-month run on Thursday.

According to statistics released by TNS Media Korea the following day, the Wednesday/Thursday evening drama recorded a viewership rating of 4.7 percent for its final episode. Another research firm, AGB Nielsen Media, reported a 5 percent rating.

"Hero", which premiered in November, had taken off to a rough start with two lead actresses pulling out of the show and had failed to fare well against other prime-time dramas, namely KBS2 TV's "Chuno" and SBS' "Will It Snow On Christmas?".

Lee played the role of a passionate reporter working for a third-rate magazine in the drama, about a group of youngsters who rebel and fight against a corrupt society.

"Woman Who Still Wants To Marry" -- starring Park Jin-hee, Uhm Ji-won and Kim Bum -- is scheduled to air starting January 20.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

"Avatar" becomes sixth most-watched film in Korea

2010011508474075810_2.jpg

Movie poster for "Avatar" [20th Century Fox]

Hollywood film "Avatar" has set another record in Korea this week, becoming the sixth most-watched film in the country's history, according to the film's distributor 20th Century Fox Korea on Friday.

As of January 14, the James Cameron pic -- which on Monday was named the most-watched foreign film in Korea -- had attracted over 8.66 million viewers since its release on December 17 to set the new box-office record.

The figures for the sci-fi action flick had surpassed notable Korean blockbusters such as "Take Off" (8.44 million viewers), "D-War" (8.42 mil.), to land at No. 6 on the list of most-watched films of all-time.

The top five spots were all claimed by Korean movies -- "The Host", "The King and the Clown", "Taegukgi", "Haeundae" and "Silmido".

"Avatar" is expected to breach the nine-million viewer mark over the weekend as it is still topping ticket reservations into its fifth week of release.

The film stars Australian actor Sam Worthington as a paraplegic war veteran who participates in the avatar program and finds himself in another planet Pandora, where he battles the local humanoid race.

Kang banned from leaving country over Lee Byung-hun probe

2010011510094391326_1.jpg

TV personality Kang Byung-kyu [Asia Economic Daily]

Baseball player-turned-TV personality Kang Byung-kyu has been forbidden from leaving South Korea because of his alleged involvement in actor Lee Byung-hun's feud with his ex-girlfriend, identified by her last name Kwon.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office placed the travel ban on Kang and Kwon's friend, also known to be an acquaintance of Kang's, in relation to a complaint Lee filed against Kwon for defamation.

Last month, Lee had taken legal action against Kwon, a Korean-Canadian who sued the Hallyu star for allegedly alluring her into a sexual relationship on false promises of marriage.

The scandal escalated when Kang visited the set of "Iris" in mid-December over talk that Chung Tae-won, chief of Taewon Entertainment and producer of the hit TV series, had spread false rumor that he was behind the feud between Lee and Kwon.

Kang sued Chung, claiming that the producer had hired a mob to beat him on set. Taewon Entertainment pointed the same accusations against Kang, stating he had hired gangsters to cause disturbance on set the same day.

Meanwhile, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency on Thursday booked Kang and two production officials for their alleged involvement in the assault case on the set of "Iris".

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

Archived