[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2010-01-10

Moon Geun-young: 'Our Warm Heart Included in the Album'

”Love Tree Project” is a charity project album aimed at raising money for poor children suffering from severe ailments. Actors from the Namoo Actors agency participated its production.

7254_751_l.jpg

Actress Moon Geun-young said, “Many actors and staff who joined the production of the album poured their heart into it. I hope the proceeds from the album will be used for helping more children." She made the remarks at a press conference announcing the release of the "Love Tree Project" album at the Doosan Art Center in Seoul on January 7, 2010.

Moon, who sang the album's track “The Sound of Wind” written by singer/songwriter Yoon Sang, said, ”I feel great about joining the charity project as well as making the album.” Moon added, “It was a fun and interesting experience to sing a song as an actress. I was so touched that I almost cried when I recorded the song.”

A reporter asked if she was interested in writing lyrics because she had majored in Korean literature. Moon replied, “I have been interested in writing lyrics, but it was very difficult for me to try to write songs. I gave it up because it was not easy to find and express the feelings and meanings of words in a rhythm. I would like to take on that challenge again if I can get the chance.”

Moon said, smiling, “I like to dance and sing, but I would like to sing as an actress instead of as a singer, as the occasion demands. If I were not good at singing as a singer, I would receive criticism."

7254_752_l.jpg

Actress Kim So-yeon, who appeared in the drama “Iris,” said, “I sang a soft ballad song that I liked. It was a fun experience even though I felt nervous.” A reporter asked Kim what kind of song she would sing for her boyfriend, if she had one, and she replied “Eurachacha” of “Rumble Fish.”

Actress Lee Yoon-ji said, “I hope we can help many children through the proceeds of the charity album.” Lee Yoon-ji, Cho Dong-hyuk, Moon Geun-young, Kim So-yeon, and Ceon Hye-bin participated in the event.

The “Love Tree Project” album included 17 songs and the songs will gradually be released through Internet music sites until January 26. The project official said the album would be released at the end of the month.

Seventeen actresses, including Shin Se-kyung, Yoo Jun-sang, and Kim So-yeon, and many singers, including Yoon Sang and Kim Kwang-min, joined the “Love Tree” album project.

Using charity events, Namoo Actors Entertainment has helped children suffering from incurable diseases at the Korea University Hospital every year since 2006.

Source : KBS GLOBAL

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KBS dominates prime time line-up

201001110030.jpg

The new year kicked off with a viewer ratings scrabble between the three major broadcast networks last week.

KBS came out on top with their Monday and Tuesday night series "The Masters of the Art of Study" and their Wednesday and Thursday night blockbuster "The Slave Hunters."

The first episode of KBS' "The Masters of the Art of Study" posted nationwide ratings of 15.1 percent (TNS Media Korea) last Monday. Rival dramas SBS' "Jejungwon The Hospital" and MBC's "Pasta" racked up 14.9 percent and 12.2 percent (TNS Media Korea) respectively.

Based on AGB Nielsen Media Research's numbers, however, KBS' "The Masters of the Art of Study" came in second to SBS' "Jejungwon The Hospital" said news reports.

The second episode scored an even higher 18.5 percent (TNS Media Korea) the following night, clenching a first week win for the academic series. "Jejungwon The Hospital" and "Pasta" followed close behind at 15.8 percent and 11.9 percent (TNS Media Korea) respectively. AGB Nielsen's numbers, according to news reports, also put "The Masters of the Art of Study" in first place.

According to a press release, one viewer posted the following comment on the drama's official bulletin board: "My grades were rock bottom and I dared not dream of going to a prestigious university but this drama gave me hope."

KBS' winning streak continued with "The Slave Hunters" on Wednesday. The new series beat out SBS' melodramatic "Will it snow for Christmas?", bringing in high nationwide ratings of 22.9 percent and 24.8 percent (TNS Media Korea) with its first two episodes.

News reports pointed to the collaboration between KBS and entertainment company Chorokbaem Media as one of the reasons behind the series' success. According to reports, KBS and Chorokbaem established a "drama fund"-style company for "The Slave Hunters," splitting investment costs halfway.

While solid financing is crucial to the success of any major project, it cannot ensure high ratings.

Spot-on scripting, tight acting, intelligent martial arts choreography and lush cinematography endowed the small screen series with big screen proportions. An adequate display of muscular brawn, intricate yet gritty fight scenes, bawdy humor and eloquent moments of humanity made it both visually and intellectually appealing.

The use of a Red One camera, a much-coveted gadget reportedly owned and used by prominent directors like Steven Soderbergh and "The Lord of the Rings" Peter Jackson, gave each shot its theater-worthy luster, a quality highlighted in the last scene of the second episode, when lead characters Lee Dae-gil (Jang Hyuk) and Song Tae-ha (Oh Ji-ho) rushed towards each other through a field of reeds in slow motion, swords drawn, glinting as they sliced through each reed.

According to a KBS press release, the series was sold to both Japan and Thailand before it started airing on KBS. Other Asian broadcasters and distributors, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, have also been making purchasing inquires, the press release added.

Meanwhile, rival drama "Will it snow for Christmas?" announced four winners for an online event held on the drama's official website. According to an SBS press release, from Nov. 23 to Dec. 23 as many as 1,000 participants posted their Christmas-related memories on the drama's website in the hopes that they would be chosen to go on a date with lead actor and actress Ko Soo and Han Ye-seul.

The conditions were that if it snowed on Christmas, two participants would be selected to go on a date with the drama's leads. Snow fell during Christmas and a total of four winners were selected.

Between Jan. 11 and Jan. 17, the winners will visit the set of "Will it snow for Christmas?" and share a meal with lead actors and actresses like Ko Soo, Han Ye-seul, Song Jong-ho and Sun Woo-sun. Those who wish to, will also be auditioned and star as an extra in the series, stated the press release.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

01-11-2010

Lee Min-ho to Star in New MBC Drama

100111_p16_lee.jpg

Lee Min-ho

Lee Min-ho, star of the hit drama ``Boys Over Flowers,'' will return to the small screen in a new drama for MBC this year.

Yonhap News Agency reported that Lee has been cast in the lead role of the upcoming drama ``Personal Taste.'' He will play the role of Jun Jin-ho, a young man who pretends to be gay in order to become the roommate of a woman he likes. The female lead, who will play a woman who befriends only gay guys, has not been cast.

The 22-year-old Lee apologized for making his fans wait for his next project.

``I've waited long enough to mature as an actor. I promise to become a more experienced actor for my fans,'' he said.

``Personal Taste'' will be written by Park Hye-kyung and directed by Sohn Hyung-seok. Filming is expected to start in February, with the first episode slated to air in April.

Lee rose to stardom playing the role of a rich boy who falls in love with a strong-willed girl in the KBS drama ``Boys Over Flowers,'' which aired from January to March last year.

The drama became a hit not just in Korea, but also in other parts of Asia, turning Lee into an overnight star of ``hallyu,'' or the Korean wave, and a highly sought-after product endorser.

Credits : Cathy Rose A. Garcia, Staff Reporter (cathy@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

Song Hye-kyo, Gang Dong-won to star in Asian omnibus pic

2010011211165201819_1.jpg

Actress Song Hye-kyo (right) and actor Gang Dong-won, who have been cast to star in Korean

director Jang Joon-hwan's "Love for Sale." [bAL CON]

Several of South Korea's top actors including actress Song Hye-kyo and actor Gang Dong-won have been cast in a multinational omnibus film by directors from Korea, Japan and Thailand, according to the film's production company on Tuesday.

BAL CON announced in a statement that the film, tentatively titled "Busan Project," will be composed of three episodes each set in the past, present and future of the city of Busan in Korea.

Based in Korea during the 1970s, the first segment, titled "Iron lion king," will be directed by Thailand's Wisit Sasanatieng and star Korean actor Kim Min-jun and Thai-American actor Michael Shaowanasai. Shawananasai will play the role of a male secret agent from Thailand in disguise of a woman who later falls in love with an unidentifiable Korean man, played by Kim.

Korean actor Sul Kyung-gu and Japan's Yositaka Yuriko will appear in the second segment set in modern day Korea. A film director and a young woman fall into a love that transcends time and space in the pic named "Kamome" by Japanese director Yukisada Isao.

The final episode, set in the near future, will be helmed by Korean director Jang Joon-hwan. In the film titled "Love for Sale," Song and Gang will play lovers who forget their memories about each other which later leads them to a fatal destiny.

Filming for the episodes will take place for about a month starting mid-January starting with "Love for Sale." Creators of the film plan to submit the pic to the Cannes film festival this year.

Kim has been a popular actor in Korea since his debut in 2003. He has appeared in several TV series and films including his most recent drama "Friend, Our Legend" alongside Hallyu star Hyun Bin.

Sul is a critically-acclaimed actor who has numerous awards under his belt including the title for best actor at the Grand Bell Awards, Golden Needle Space Awards and Bratislava International Film Festival. He made headlines last year after marrying top Korean actress Song Yuna.

Actress Song Hye-kyo shot to fame in hit KBS TV series "Autumn Fairy Tale" co-starring Hallyu stars Won Bin and Song Seung-hun, gaining increasing popularity throughout Asia with her roles in several successful TV shows thereafter including "All In" opposite Lee Byung-hun and "Full House" alongside Asian pop sensation Rain.

Gang has been considered one of Korea's top heartthrobs since his appearance in film "Romance of their Own" in 2004. He most recently starred in "WOOCHI" which has been faring well on the currently Hollywood pic-dominated domestic box office. The film set a record for attracting the most number of viewers on its opening day and has maintained its position at No.2 after "Avatar" since its release in late December.

2010011211165201819_2.jpg

Actors Sul Kyung-gu (right), who has been cast to star in Japanese director Yukisada Isao's

film "Kamome" and actor Kim Min-jun, who has been cast to star in Thai director Wisit Sasa-

natieng's "Iron lion king." [bAL CON]

Credits : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Kang Ji-hwan may face lawsuit by former agency

2010011210172266853_1.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan [Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Kang Ji-hwan is on the verge of being sued by talenthouse Jambo Entertainment which claims Kang signed a contract with a new agency although his current contract with Jambo is valid for several more months.

Kang's new agency, S Plus Entertainment, had announced through a press release last Friday that they had signed with the 32-year-old actor. Kang had reportedly sent a contents-certified letter last month to Jambo, asking to be freed from his contract to which he is legally bound till August this year.

"The statement by another company regarding Kang shows he has signed a dual contract which is violation of the terms of agreement mentioned in our exclusive contract with him," Jambo stated in a press release later in the day.

They hinted toward taking legal action, saying that they will take the appropriate measures after consulting their legal advisor.

Jambo also expressed their disappointment toward the actor whom they had worked with for six years. "We had never imagined he would cut off all communication and leave us like that. It saddens us to think he couldn't wait a mere eight months."

Regarding the actor himself, Jambo said, "He was a good well-mannered and passionate... The person we see right now seems like a stranger."

Kang debuted in 2001 in the Korean version of the musical "The Rocky Horror Show". He later gained fame after appearing in notable television dramas, such as "Be Strong, Geum-soon!"(2005), "Scandal in Old Seoul"(2007) and "Hong Gil-dong, The Hero"(2008).

He has also starred in several movies including "Movie is a Movie", "Speedy Scandal" and most recently "My Girlfriend Is An Agent", a comedy action film co-starring Hallyu star Kim Ha-neul.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Gong Yoo wraps up first fan meeting since military discharge

2010011209470739520_1.jpg

Korean actor Gong Yoo performs for fans at his fan meeting on January 10 [N.O.A. Entertainment]

Korean actor Gong Yoo successfully wrapped up a fan meeting which is his first since being discharged from the military last month, according to his agency N.O.A. Entertainment

The actor met with some 1,000 fans -- including those from Japan, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Taiwan -- at the fan meeting , which was held at Seoul's Yonsei University on January 10.

The event, titled "694 Days of Waiting for Gong Yoo", was hosted by Korean comedians Hong Seung-mok and Yang Se-hyung. Gong performed several songs for the fans including "Like A Child", "What A Relief" and "Nothing Better" with singer Jung Yeop.

"I had trouble sleeping yesterday (Jan. 9) because I was so excited and nervous," the 30-year-old actor was quoted as saying. "I will do my best with all the passion and energy I have to not let down my fans who have been waiting for me for two years."

Gong Yoo, whose real name is Gong Ji-cheol, debuted in 2001 in the KBS TV series "School 4". He has appeared in more than a dozen television dramas and films, including the 2003 film "My Tutor Friend" alongside Hallyu stars Kwon Sang-woo and Kim Ha-neul.

He became a household name throughout Asia after starring in the 2007 hit TV series "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" with actress Yoon Eun-hye.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

01-11-2010

Jang Dong-gun to Have Knee Surgery

100112_p16_jang.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun

Top star Jang Dong-gun will undergo knee surgery this week, his agency AM Entertainment said Tuesday.

``Jang will have surgery to repair cartilage in his knee a couple of days from now,'' the agency said in a statement, Tuesday. ``He has no major problem walking around. But he is having the surgery, which has been postponed so far ahead of the shooting for a war movie by director Kang Je-gyu.''

Jang is expected to be hospitalized for a week, while his recovery will take longer.

Jang, who recently announced a romantic relationship with fellow actress Ko So-young, sustained the injury in 2003 while he was acting in the movie ``Taegeukgi.'' He previously had surgery but failed to recover from the injury completely.

The next film Jang will star in is ``D-Day,'' which will start shooting in May.

The couple flew to Hawaii on Jan. 2 for a week trip, raising speculation among their fans about whether it was a preliminary honeymoon. The couple has yet to announce any specific plans for marriage.

Jang Dong-gun to undergo knee surgery this week

2010011309500138006_1.jpg

Korean actor Jang Dong-gun [Asia Economic Daily]

Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun is scheduled to undergo knee surgery this week, according to his agency on Wednesday.

An official at AM Entertainment explained that the actor was admitted into a hospital yesterday to receive surgery for his left knee, which he injured while shooting the 2004 blockbuster film "Taegukgi ". The actor will reportedly stay in the hospital for about a week and continue physical therapy for about a month afterwards.

Jang had been putting off the surgery to shoot his Hollywood debut film "The Warrior's Way" -- which will open in the U.S. on April 1 -- and the recent Korean box-office hit "Good Morning President."

He recently returned from a trip to Hawaii with his actress girlfriend Ko So-young, making their first public appearance together since admitting to their two-year romantic relationship last November. The trip sparked rumors of marriage and honeymoon, but his agency has stated that the two stars "have no marriage plans yet and the trip was just for relaxation."

Jang is set to start shooting "D-day" in June, re-uniting with his "Taegukgi" director Kang Je-gyu.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Kim Nam-gil to star in new TV drama "Bad Guy"

2010011214113147073_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil is set to star in a new television drama titled "Bad Guy", according the show's producer Good Story on Tuesday.

The actor has been cast for the lead role, playing an ambitious character named Gun-wook who wants to take over a business empire, Good Story announced in a press release.

The 16-episode mini-series will be co-produced by Good Story and ACC (Asia Contents Center Inc.), an affiliate of Japan's major broadcaster NHK. The show had already been sold to ACC during its planning stages.

"Guy" will be helmed by Lee Hyung-min, who previously directed Asian superstar Rain in his television debut "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School" and Hallyu star So Ji-sub in the 2004 hit "I'm Sorry, I Love You".

Kim Nam-gil, 28, became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok".

The drama will go into shoot next month and will air in the first half of 2010.

Variety show "Two Nights" eyeing March for South Pole shoot

2010011216301240137_1.jpg

A scene from variety show "Two Nights and One Day" [KBS]

KBS variety show "Two Night and One Days" is aimed at visiting the South Pole for a shoot in March, according to the show's producer on Tuesday.

"We haven't set a detailed schedule yet but are laying out our plans with March in mind," Na Young-suk told Asia Economic Daily over the phone.

He added cautiously though, that the date may be pushed back since it is not easy coordinating the schedules of the cast composed of singers, comedians and actors. "We're having a hard time setting a time frame because it's not easy for everyone to push back or miss out on all their other activities for two whole weeks."

"Two Night" is the first of a two-part weekly show titled "Happy Sunday" starring hosts Kang Ho-dong, Lee Seung-gi, Eun Ji-won, MC Mong, Kim C and Lee Su-geun. The six go on the road to travel to various locations throughout Korea which are relatively unknown to the general public.

"Happy Sunday" is the most popular show on television in the non-drama category with its ratings recently hitting the upper 20 percent range. The show won the award for best TV program at the year-end 2009 KBS Entertainment Grand Prix.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr

2010-01-11

‘The Slave Hunters’ Opens to Rave Reviews

The latest KBS drama “The Slave Hunters” has received an enthusiastic response from the first episode. Even before it had begun airing on January 6, the show had drawn significant anticipation with its star-studded cast and large production budget of some 10 billion won (approximately 9 million dollars).

343_932_l.jpg

Spectacular action and cinematography scenes were what set the show apart. Comic elements were also harmonized with dramatic ones in a solid storyline buoyed up by impressive performances by supporting actors as well as the leading stars.

In addition to three heartthrob actors -- Jang Hyuk, Lee Jong-hyuk and Oh Ji-ho -- Danny Ahn, Han Jeong-soo, Kong Hyung-jin, and Sung Dong-il showed different sides of themselves. Cho Mi-ryeong, Kim Ji-seok, Yoo Chae-young and Yoon Ki-won added lightheartedness through their comic roles. Veteran actor Kim Kap-soo made a cameo appearance as well.

The story development was also intense enough to make it difficult for viewers to become distracted. It featured the kinds of lives the main characters lived in the past and the relationships formed as a result.

On the drama's online board, many viewers expressed deep satisfaction with the show, saying it was better than expected. A person wrote, “It was interesting to see Jang Hyuk and other actors showing a solid performance. I’ve never enjoyed a historical drama as much as this. I can’t wait for the show to air every Wednesday and Thursday night,” while another said, “It’s worth having waited for it. All the elements are perfect -- cinematography, directing, performance, and featured music.” Others also said included that it was the first well-made drama seen a long time, that it would become a huge hit, and that it made them lose track of time.

“The Slave Hunters” is directed by Kwak Jung-hwan, who made his name among enthusiastic fans with “Conspiracy in the Court,” and written by Chun Seung-il, whose previous works include screenplays for “My Girlfriend is an Agent” and “Dad Likes Women.”

Writer: TV Report

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS GLOBAL

01-12-2010

Kim Yun-jin Sings in 'Harmony' Onscreen

2010011200262_0.jpg

Kim Yun-jin poses at a press conference for her new film

"Harmony" in Seoul on Monday.(chosun.com)

Not long after ``Executioner,'' the first movie to be filmed in a real prison, and ``The Actresses,'' featuring a rare all-female cast, comes ``Harmony,'' about women living behind bars in tune to a different synchronization.

Kim Yun-jin returns to the local screen two years after starring in the hit thriller ``Seven Days.'' The ``Lost'' star has shed her serious image to wear an unfading smile and a blue jail uniform in the tearjerker family drama.

``It's a movie for which we had to reshoot scenes because we cried too much,'' the actress said Monday in Seoul following the film's press preview. Produced by ``Haeundae'' director Yun Je-kyoon and directed by newcomer Kang Dae-gyu, the movie is indeed designed to draw out tears ― and despite some oddly placed musical moments and mainstream superficiality, it works.

Kim stars as Jeong-hye, who, after killing her abusive husband, is sentenced to serve 10 years in Cheongju Women's Prison. She gives birth to a baby boy during the stint and tries to cherish every bit of the 18 months she has with Min-ho before giving him up for adoption, in accordance with the law.

One day she is impressed by a visiting choir and sets out to start one her own. The kindhearted prison chief promises Jeong-hye a special outing with Min-ho if she succeeds.

But contrary to the film's title, the protagonist is severely tone deaf and her pitchy lullabies induce tearful fits, rather than sleep, from Min-ho. Yet this happy-go-lucky story makes sure its protagonist never loses her smile, and she finds help in her prison mate Mun-ok, a former music professor on death row. Veteran actress Na Moon-hee gives weight and a compelling spin to the melodrama.

Also joining in the harmony are a comic duo of girlfriends, a night club singer and professional wrestler (played by musical actresses Jung Su-yeong and Park Jun-myeon, respectively) and a young soprano with a dark past (``Haeundae'' starlet Kang Ye-won, who actually majored in music in college).

Shooting the film in an actual prison ― though it was limited to mostly public areas such as the rooftop and courtyard ― proved to be a special experience for the cast.

Na said witnessing an elderly woman make haste to visit her child helped her interpret her character, who does not give up trying to reach out to her children, who had shunned their convict mother. Kim recalls a moment when an inmate started singing along with her from inside a cell when she was rehearing in the hall.

``Harmony'' rings with strong sorority spirit, featuring the women making the most of their cohabitation in a tiny space ― using empty toilet paper rolls as hair rollers and working with a piece of yarn to slice up a watermelon.

``I've never been offered the chance to play a character like Jeong-hye, who makes such a beautiful effort under desperate conditions. I accepted it without second thought,'' said Kim.

The movie casts the characters, who are sentenced for some serious offenses, under a sympathetic light ― as victims of rape, fraud or heartbreak.

``I found out through research that most women commit accidental crimes. I did not however attempt to tell a story on their behalf; rather I aimed to tell a story about family ties, how people try to connect with family even under tough conditions. It's a story about a different form of family,'' said the director.

The movie is not so much a ``Sound of Music''-type bonding story through music; indeed the inmates rediscover hope through singing, but climactic moments follow after Jeong-hye gives up Min-ho for adoption. The choir has matured into a reputable ensemble, and the members are granted the opportunity to give a special performance and a special session to reunite with family members.

In theaters Jan. 28. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

January 13, 2010

Year of the thriller for Korean movies

Film insiders excited over new works by three star directors

12205528.jpg

The Housemaid

Above, a scene from “The Housemaid” (1960), the classic Korean thriller directed by Kim Ki-young. Right, Im Sang-soo will direct the remake of the film, while Jeon Do-youn, left, will star. [JoongAng Photo]

Hits came from all quarters in Korean cinema last year, with big blockbusters “Take Off” and “Haeundae,” auteur films “Thirst” and “Mother” and indie sleepers “Old Partner” and “Breathless” all filling seats.

Disaster flick Haeundae was the first locally made film to top 10 million tickets sold in three years. Industry-wide box office returns hit a record high of 1.08 trillion won ($964 million), about half from Korean-made films.

The state-funded Korean Film Council forecast in a recent report that the local movie market will continue its incremental growth over the next five years, and 2010 is expected to be another bonanza for the local film studios. But the most hotly anticipated movies inside the industry aren’t quite as diverse as 2009’s top sellers - on the contrary, they’re all in a single genre: thriller.

Korea’s thriller renaissance, kicked off by “The Chaser” in 2008 and continued by “Secret” at the end of last year, continues with “No Mercy,” the first big, locally made release of 2010.

12205656.jpg

The Murderer (working title)

Above, Ha Jung-woo stands during the shooting of “ The Murderer” (working title). Provided by Showbox / The new thriller will be directed by Na Hong-jin, right, who is rejoined by Ha and actor Kim Yun-seok, left, his stars in “The Chaser.” [JoongAng Photo]

According to a recent survey by the JoongAng Ilbo of 20 film experts including producers, investors and critics, the three most highly anticipated films scheduled to be released this year were all thrillers. “The Housemaid,” a remake of a local classic, came in first, followed by “The Murderer” (working title), which will reunite “The Chaser” director Na Hong-jin with his two leads from that film. In third was “Moss” (working title) by veteran director Kang Woo-suk.

“The Housemaid,” a remake of the 1960 film by the late director Kim Ki-young, was chosen as the No. 1 most anticipated Korean movie in 2010 by a majority of the respondents. The movie tells the story of a man who has an affair with the maid, eventually leading to the destruction of his life.

Though it may sound riddled with old cliches, the film is still considered a classic for the legendary director’s aesthetic prowess. Critics say it’s no one thing that makes the movie special: There are its comments on the downfall of the middle class, its tinge of eroticism and its taut plotting.

Last year, the Korean Film Archive restored a black-and-white original print of “The Housemaid” that had been damaged with the aid of the World Cinema Foundation, a nonprofit organization led by world-renowned director Martin Scorsese that works to preserve neglected films from around the world.

12205804.jpg

Moss (working title)

Above, the online hit graphic novel series “Moss” was taken as the inspiration for director Kang Woo-suk’s latest film, an adaptation of the same name. Provided by Daum.net / Actor Park Hae-il, left, plays the lead role in “Moss” by director Kang, right. [JoongAng Photo]

When the remake was announced in late 2008 it set the local movie industry on fire - especially later, when the project fell into the hands of Im Sang-soo, the bold and unique director of “The President’s Last Bang” (2005) and “A Good Lawyer’s Wife” (2003), whom film critic Kim Bong-seok describes as “the most provocative director in Korea.”

Adding to expectations for the project is its star, Jeon Do-youn, the beloved Korean actress who exploded onto the world stage with a Best Actress win at Cannes in 2007. Jeon will play the titular character.

“I look forward to seeing Jeon’s version of The Housemaid, as I know she can pull off the role of a femme fatale so perfectly,” said Lee Jin-hoon, director of the Korean cinema team at Lotte Entertainment.

Actor Lee Jung-jae, who co-starred in “Typhoon” with Jang Dong-gun, and the young and promising actress Seo Woo, who caught the eye of the industry with her performance in “Paju” last year, have been cast as the husband and wife.

“I can’t wait to see the results - the meeting between the director of the moment and one of the best films in Korean cinema,” said Jeon Chan-il, regular programmer of the Pusan International Film Festival.

But the seemingly blessed remake was recently marred by a very public conflict between the writer and the director.

Screenwriter Kim Soo-hyun, who has built up a reputation as a hit-maker with numerous popular TV dramas and several award-winning movies, was invited by the producer to write a script for the highly anticipated new Housemaid. The project ground to a halt after the director who had been attached to it initially quit, and Kim suggested Im take the reins.

All seemed to be going well until Kim finished the script and handed it over to Im. The director made changes, reportedly to suit his provocative style, and Kim expressed her dissatisfaction. The matter seemed settled when Im apologized, but later problems would crop up again when Im took his version of the script to the producers. Kim claimed the director had agreed to cooperate on the script in the future, but took his version to the studio apparently without consulting her.

The enraged Kim withdrew from the project and later posted a note on her Web site that read, “I’ve been stabbed in the back by someone I trusted [and] have no mind to go on with my work.”

Despite the turmoil, the producers have decided to adopt Im’s changed version of the script. Shooting is scheduled to begin this month with the hope of bringing the film to theaters this year after only minor delays, according to Mirovision, the production company.

Second on the list of most anticipated Korean movies was The Murderer, mainly for its trio of Chaser veterans. The 2008 hit directed by Na Hong-jin and starring Ha Jung-woo and Kim Yun-seok attracted about 5 million viewers, about on par with its genre predecessor “Memories of Murder.”

The Murderer tells the story of a man from Yanbian, China who is smuggled into Seoul as a contract killer to pay off his debt, but ends up threatened by another hit man.

Ha, who found his breakout role in The Chaser and confirmed his rise to stardom with the 2009 hit drama Take Off, takes the lead role opposite Kim, who has now become one of Korea’s most prolific actors, appearing in such well-received films as “Running Turtle” (2009) and “The War of Flower” (2006).

Unusual for Korea, The Murderer has also drawn some Hollywood money, with its estimated production cost of 11 billion won partially paid by Fox Korea, the local branch of the Twentieth Century Fox film studio, which finalized its contribution late last year. Shooting started last month, and the finished product is scheduled to be released this summer, according to its distributor, Showbox.

“The movie will be the one in which director Na will show his real ability, a glimpse of which we got through The Chaser,” predicted Kim Young-jin, a film professor at Myongji University.

A famous director is also behind the third selection on the list, Moss, helmed by the filmmaker known internationally for “Silmido” (2003) and “Public Enemy” (2002). Kang made his directorial debut in 1988, making him an “old man” of modern Korean cinema.

Moss brings together Kang’s cachet with the hugely popular online graphic novel series on which it’s based, drawn by Yoon Tae-ho. The cinematic adaptation, featuring well-known names including Park Hae-il, Jung Jae-young and Yoo Hae-jin, follows a young man who comes to a rural village after hearing about his father’s death and later becomes embroiled in its hidden secrets.

The movie is currently in production and will hit local theaters around the first half of the year, according to the production company Cinema Service.

Credits : Ki Sun-min, Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

2010/01/13

Korean Wave actor, girl group receive government awards

2010011400292_0.jpg

Yoona, representing girl group Girls' Generation, and actor Song

Seung-hun attend a ceremony to receive an award for promoting

Korean pop culture in Seoul on Wednesday.(chosun.com)

SEOUL, Jan. 13 (Yonhap) -- Actor Song Seung-heon and pop group Girls' Generation received accolades from the government on Wednesday for their contributions to South Korea's pop culture industry and the Korean Wave boom across Asia.

The minister of culture, sports and tourism, Yu In-chon, awarded the annual Distinguished Korean Wave Entertainer Award to the entertainers in a ceremony attended by some 150 entertainment industry figures and lawmakers.

"The global expansion of Korean Wave content not only increased economic value-added profits to the industry but also contributed to enhancing the prestige of the nation," Yu said in a speech before the award ceremony.

Korean Wave, or "Hallyu" in Korean, refers to the widespread popularity of South Korean culture and entertainment around the world, especially in Asia. The boom is believed to have begun with television dramas and pop music in the late 1990s and now encompasses a broader range of content including films and computer games.

Since their 2007 debut, Girls' Generation, the nine-member all-female group, called "Sonyeosidae" in Korean, has enjoyed phenomenal success with hit songs like "Gee" and "Genie (Sowoneul Malhaebwa)" and lead roles in TV shows and commercials, spearheading the girl group boom in South Korea. The group represented South Korea in Thailand's Pattaya International Music Festival last year and has topped various music charts in Thailand, Taiwan and the Philippines.

Song, the model-turned-actor, is an established name in the Korean Wave with leads in various popular television drama series aired across Asia, mostly recently "East of Eden," a tale of two men whose fates become entangled at birth.

South Korea aims to increase exports of its arts and other cultural content to US$3.8 billion and gross sales to $64 billion this year. The figures in 2008 were $2.4 billion and $57 billion respectively, according to culture ministry data. Last year's data will be released later this month.

Credits : hkim@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News

Korean Wave stars receive government awards

Actor Song Seung-heon and pop group Girls' Generation received accolades from the government on Wednesday for their contributions to Korea's pop culture industry and the Korean Wave boom across Asia, according to Yonhap News.

The minister of culture, sports and tourism, Yu In-chon, awarded the annual Distinguished Korean Wave Entertainer Award to the entertainers in a ceremony attended by some 150 entertainment industry figures and lawmakers.

"The global expansion of Korean Wave content not only increased economic value-added profits to the industry but also contributed to enhancing the prestige of the nation," Yu said in a speech before the award ceremony. Korean Wave, or "Hallyu" in Korean, refers to the widespread popularity of Korean culture and entertainment around the world, especially in Asia. The boom is believed to have begun with television dramas and pop music in the late 1990s and now encompasses a broader range of content including films and computer games.

January 12, 2010

Sidus to launch sales for Busan omnibus at Berlin

1112772_Song_Hye_kyo.jpg

Song Hye-kyo

Korea-based Sidus FNH will launch sales for the Pusan International Film Festival's omnibus Busan Project (working title) at next month's European Film Market in Berlin.

It has also been revealed that Sol Kyung-gu, Kang Dong-won and Song Hye-kyo (pictured) will star in the project, which was revealed at the festival last October. Festival chief Kim Dong-ho is executive producing.

Thailand's Wisit Sasanatieng, Japan's Isao Yukisada and Korea's Jang Joon-hwan will each direct a short about people falling in love in Busan.

Sasanatieng's Iron lion king will follow a 1970s transvestite spy and will star Kim Min Jun and Michael Shaowanasai; while Yukisada's fantasy melodrama Kamome will star Sol and Yomini cooperakaYuriko. Jang's Love For Sale will feature Kang and Song as a couple in a society where love is industrialized.

Jang starts shooting on January 15, with all production to be completed by the end of February.

The Busan Project is aiming for a premiere at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Credits : Jean Noh

Source : Screen Daily

Meet Directors in Seoul Theaters

101113_p14_a1.jpg

The Korean Film Archive is showcasing a retrospective of movies by Hong Sang-

soo through Jan. 24 at Cinematheque KOFA, Sangam-dong, Seoul. Fans will be

able to meet the auteur Sunday, following the screening of "Night and Day.’’

This weekend in Seoul, movie buffs can re-watch a handful of contemporary classics of Korean cinema on the big screen and meet directors: Hong Sang-soo and Song Il-gon.

The Korean Film Archive is hosting a retrospective of 10 films by the minimal realist Hong through Jan. 24 at Cinematheque KOFA, Sangam-dong, Seoul, while ``The Magicians,’’ by artsy experimentalist Song, will reopen Sunday in Daehango.

101113_p14_a2.jpg

Hong has established an international reputation as a unique minimalist with video journal-style movies reminiscent of the late Eric Rohmer. The retrospective lineup includes his 1996 directorial debut piece, ``The Day the Pig Fell Into the Well,’’ to his latest works ― ``Like You Know It All’’ and the short ``Lost in the Mountains.’’

Following Sunday’s 4:30 p.m. screening of ``Night and Day,’’ which competed at the 2008 Berlin Film Festival, Hong will join the audience. He will give a special talk with film critic Huh Moon-young, director of Cinematheque Busan, who produced ``Night and Day.’’

Two of 10 films will be shown with English subtitles: ``Turning Gate’’ (2 p.m., Jan. 16; 5 p.m., Jan. 21) and ``Woman Is the Future of Man’’ (8 p.m., Jan. 19; 5 p.m., Jan. 23).

Admissions to all screenings and events are free of charge. Cinematheque KOFA (www.koreafilm.or.kr) is located near exit 2 of Digital Media City Station on subway line 6. Take bus No. 7711 or 7730 to Nuriggum (Nuri Dream) Square.

A digitally re-mastered version of Song Il-gon’s 2006 film ``The Magicians’’ will be screened beginning Sunday at Changjo Art Hall, Daehangno.

While traveling the international film festival circuit, from Busan and Jeonju to Locarno, Italy and New York, ``The Magicians’’ has received rave reviews from critics and general audiences alike. It was also noted as the first digitally distributed film via CGV Theaters.

The film has also made headlines as a single-take film, its entire 96-minute running time having been filmed in one take, one cut. Featuring strong theatrical and musical aspects, including tango tunes and indie rock music, ``The Magicians’’ was produced into a musical franchise last October and is currently being staged at the same venue. It will be a great chance to compare the two versions.

The psychodrama feeds on Song’s trademark themes of healing and redemption, as it captures a New Year’s Eve reunion of three old friends who used to be in a band together.

There will be screenings at 10 p.m. on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. On Mondays, following an 8 p.m. movie screening, the director will join the audience for lectures and other special events. Call (02) 747-7001 for more information.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

"God of Study" scores highest rating in its time slot

2010011313530519575_1.jpg

Scenes from "God of Study" [KBS]

KBS TV series "God of Study", starring Kim Soo-ro and Bae Doo-na, is seeing its ratings soar just two weeks into its showing.

According to statistics released by TNS Media Korea on Wednesday, the Monday/Tuesday evening drama scored a viewership rating of 26.3 percent during its fourth episode broadcast yesterday, gaining 3.2 percent from the previous night. The show was also the most-watched TV show during its time slot at 9:55 p.m.

Figures by research firm AGB Nielson Media also indicated that "Study" was faring well, topping its ratings chart with a 23.5 percent viewership rating on Tuesday, compared to a 21.2 percent rating the previous day.

"Study", which premiered last week, is about a determined lawyer (played by Kim Soo-ro) who offers to teach five rebellious students and get them accepted into the country's top college. The drama also stars some of the best young actors in Korea including Yoo Seung-ho, Lee Hyun-woo and Go Ah-sung.

[PREVIEW]

Movie "Lady Daddy"

2010011309021302234_1.jpg

A scene from film "Lady Daddy" [Harimao Pictures]

Ji-hyun (played by Lee Na-young) lives a busy life as a movie stills photographer who is also in preparations to put on her own private exhibition. She is also steadily growing closer to her boyfriend Joon-suh (played by Kim Ji-suk). Their relationship started slow but when Ji-hyun finally builds enough trust and love for him, a nine-year-old boy rings on her doorbell asking for his dad. It had already been nine years since Ji-hyun freed herself from the then seemingly useless and meaningless life living as a male. The short-lived peace she had earned after so much effort becomes shattered in just seconds with the appearance of her son. The dad who can no longer be a dad and the son who now wants to call out for his dad, start living an odd and risky life together.

Anticipation Quotient: 7

2010011309071972795_2.jpg

Scenes from film "Lady Daddy" [Harimao Pictures]

A child who pops up one day and calls the main character his dad, a man-to-woman, woman-to-man disguise show and a love story surrounding such incidents. "Lady Daddy" deliberately reveals that it has incorporated elements which are key to a film's success -- the longtime well-received story about a beautiful lady and a child and the more recently accepted use of controversial topics, as was proven with last year's hit film "Speedy Scandal." If you think this film is out of style, it is because it does not attempt to hide that quality about it and if you feel a certain affection to this film, that too is because it does not conceal it. But such intentionality is not regarded as being cunning because Lee's composed acting makes her sincerely spoken lines shine even further and the producer does not try to be clever with his work but rather remains simple, just like Joon-suh's uncalculated and naively honest love for Ji-hyun. Furthermore, knowing that the issue of changing one's gender is not 'a piece of cake', the film knows how to create humor out of the topic but not make fun of it.

What Ji-hyun discovers during the short time she spent with her child is probably not a grand and overwhelming form of 'paternal love' nor 'maternal love.' Rather, it may be an acknowledgment that the past she had wanted to erase or bury, is as alive as the heart of her nine-year-old son. Not denying the past that existed regardless of her choice and opening up to that past after washing off her concealing make-up. Like such, when Ji-hyun can live not as her son's 'mom' but 'dad,' that is when she starts walking the path toward making her own choice. Harimao Pictures of "My Girlfriend is an Agent" produced the film with writer Chun Sung-il of KBS TV series "Chuno" writing the scenario. The film is est for a release on January 14.

Editor in Chief : Beck Una one@10asia.co.kr

January 14, 2010

Hallyu actor Lee Byung-hun to appear on CNN’s ‘Talk Asia’

13203219.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun is set to appear on CNN’s

“Talk Asia” on Jan. 20. Provided by CNN

Actor Lee Byung-hun is expected to appear on CNN’s “Talk Asia” program next week, where he is expected to talk about his recent success on the small screen in Korea and his foray onto the big screen in Hollywood.

Last year, Lee starred as Storm Shadow in Stephen Sommers’ action flick “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” and played the lead character in the KBS television drama “Iris.”

Iris, which will have its season finale on Dec. 17, was a hit here and topped the ratings with an audience share of close to 40 percent. It will be shown in seven Asian countries including Japan, where Lee has a legion of fans.

Lee’s turn in G.I. Joe, which is reported to have grossed over $300 million worldwide, brought him international recognition. He has already signed on to appear in the sequel, which is reported to begin shooting in the second half of the year. But Lee nearly threw the opportunity away, as a press release containing excerpts from the interview revealed.

“When I first heard about G.I. Joe from my agent, I didn’t know what it was,” he said. “I refused the offer at first. But everyone told me to do it and said it was a huge opportunity.

“One of my very good friends, Park Chan-wook, who made ‘Oldboy,’ said to me, ‘If you really want to go to Hollywood, why don’t you do it? It will be a very good opportunity.’”

Lee’s year has not passed without drama. He and his ex-girlfriend traded a spate of accusations in a very public scandal that damaged his reputation and resulted in a lawsuit.

Talk Asia accompanies Lee onto the red carpet at the opening night of the 14th Pusan International Film Festival in October, and follows him to the Iris set.

The program featuring Lee will be aired on Jan. 20, followed by several reruns on the network. After the first broadcast, it will also be available online at www.cnn.com/talkasia.

Credits : Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Director Kim Sang-jin runs out of gas

201001140004.jpg

"Attack the Gas Station 2"

The sequel to the 2000 sleeper hit "Attack the Gas Station" might be one of the worst films ever made. Even the most lenient of critics would have to agree with that assessment.

Looking at the glossy press booklet just before "Attack the Gas Station 2" began, the words "Directed by Kim Sang-jin" must have assured movie critics and members of the press at the advanced press screening that they were in for a comedic romp.

With a proven box office track record, why wouldn't anyone expect anything less than a laugh riot from the man that brought us such endearing comedies as "Gas Station" and "Kick the Moon."

Alas, it was not to be.

It is clear Kim must relieve himself of ever taking up the helm of a movie's production.

That's a bold statement to make about a director who has made a career out of turning out some of the biggest selling comedies of the 1990s but it seems he never got the memo on how much Korean moviegoers have evolved over the last decade.

Gone are the days when it was amusing to see grown men relentlessly slap and kick each other while shouting expletives at the top of their lungs.

The film picks up 10 years after the events of the first film. The gas station manager has gone south to Busan where he again sells petrol.

Having learned a lesson from his past, this time around he has hired a new crop of employees - all of whom are quite adept with their fists, ensuring he will never be at the mercy of thugs.

What he hasn't learned, however, is to treat his minions with respect, and soon his new crop turns against him and its groundhog day for old "Park Sajang."

If you were a fan of the original, by now, you must be excited to see what sort of predicament Park gets himself into.

But this sad excuse for a movie fails to emulate the sterling performances and comedic timing of the original.

Instead, it stumbles through its 90-minute running time from one awkward, mistimed slapstick moment to the next. It feels like an eternity in captivity at a weird neighbor's performance-art recital in a bizarre-o land where cops and pedestrians don't exist.

Throughout the film, the film repeats the same Three Stooges antics like a broken record carried by a lifeless cast that looked more interested in phoning in their lackadaisical performances.

But who can blame them with the material they had to work with.

No wonder then, the film's two main leads Cho Han-sun and Ji Hyun-woo just lurk around every scene with all of the enthusiasm of a lobotomized zombie - with the exception of the countless fight sequences where they kick and swing their fists all over the place like drunken buffoons.

Even the indomitable gas station manager from the original, played by Park Young-gyu, looked uncomfortable revisiting a role he made so famous 10 years ago.

As if playing a caricature of the original, his over-the-top performance seemed forced, like trying to squeeze out comedic moments that simply weren't there.

When news hit that the sequel was in the works, there was a considerable buzz, and during the official press conference announcing the release of the film last month, Park himself crooned the film's title song - a "trot" tune (the oldest form of Korean pop music) - to members of the press.

That was perhaps more amusing and endearing than this film.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

January 14, 2010

Historical drama concocts formula for success

‘Jejungwon’ offers a glimpse into life in the Joseon Dynasty through the eyes of a surgeon

13203250.jpg

Actor Park Yong-woo plays Hwang Jeong, the lead

character in the new historical drama “Jejungwon.” The

character is the first surgeon in the Joseon era and later

becomes an independence fighter. Provided by SBS

There are a number of reasons why medical dramas are popular. They depict the tensions that arise in emergency situations, the competition that elite med school students face, and the conflicts between the noble goal of saving lives and the hectic reality of working at a hospital.

The Korean medical dramas, “The Great White Tower” and “New Heart” combined all of these elements to win high ratings and critical acclaim. But just as in medicine, there is no set formula for success on television, and it’s hard to predict which combination of elements will win viewers over.

“Jejungwon,” a new drama that revolves around life at the first modern medical institution in Korea, is hoping it has the right combination of fact and fantasy. The show, which currently airs every Monday and Tuesday at 10 p.m. on SBS, is named after the hospital established by King Gojong in 1885 at the suggestion of American medical missionary Horace N. Allen. (The hospital was originally known as Gwanghyewon, or Widespread Relief House; the name later changed to Jejungwon and then Severance Hospital.)

Actor Park Yong-woo, 38, plays Hwang Jeong, the lead character whose story is loosely based on a real person. Hwang was born into a poor family, grew up to be a butcher and later became the first surgeon in the Joseon era and an independence fighter.

“The reason why I didn’t hesitate to take the role was that Hwang Jeong is a very realistic character, which appealed to me,” Park said in a recent interview.

“Hwang Jeong entered Western medicine due to his deep resentment about the death of his mother, who died without treatment because of his family’s low social standing,” Park said. “He doesn’t stop trying to achieve his goals and starts thinking not only about saving people’s lives but also his country. Although he seems somewhat unsophisticated, for ordinary people he is a humane and caring doctor, and I tried to portray those qualities so that viewers would empathize with him.”

Jejungwon, which consists of 36 episodes, follows Hwang Jeong as he enters medicine and competes with his peers at the hospital; later, after he has become a surgeon, we see him leaving for Manchuria to fight for Korean independence.

Scriptwriter Lee Gi-won, who wrote the script for the 2007 hit medical drama The Great White Tower, which he based on a Japanese novel, talked about how he became interested in Jejungwon.

“When I was working on The Great White Tower, I started doing research on the Korean medical system and found that one of the graduates of the medical school affiliated with Jejungwon was the son of a butcher,” he said. “As the movie ‘Forrest Gump’ portrays America through the eyes of an individual who had an eventful life, the drama Jejungwon will give you a glimpse of what life in the late Joseon Dynasty [1392-1910] was like through the story of Hwang Jeong, who comes of age during his time at Jejungwon.”

Park is returning to television for the first time in six years. He last appeared in the 2004 drama “Terms of Endearment” and then went on to movies like “Once Upon A Time” (2008) and “Handphone” (2009).

“I chose this role because Hwang Jeong is a dramatic character any actor would want to play,” Park said. “I also liked the social message in the drama. And even though the drama is set in the Joseon Dynasty, the message still resonates. I also feel that Hwang Jeong’s story resembles my journey toward becoming an actor.”

Credits : Kang Hye-ran [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Archived