Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest tinatran_

1. how do you prevent gel/cream eyeliner from running off throughout the day? i use this eyeliner that enhances lash growth and it costed about $23 for only 2-3 grams. i don't want that money to go to waste by reapplying it every few hours. D: i've already tried using eyeshadow to set it, but it still runs off a bit. and i really don't want to buy a primer because i don't really use makeup much.

2. would it look wierd to wear just a loose powder alone without foundation? i need light coverage, and i don't want to wear foundation cause i don't like the cakey feeling of it. tips on how to apply would be nice too. thanks in advance! =)

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yuri9do0

1. how do you prevent gel/cream eyeliner from running off throughout the day? i use this eyeliner that enhances lash growth and it costed about $23 for only 2-3 grams. i don't want that money to go to waste by reapplying it every few hours. D: i've already tried using eyeshadow to set it, but it still runs off a bit. and i really don't want to buy a primer because i don't really use makeup much.

2. would it look wierd to wear just a loose powder alone without foundation? i need light coverage, and i don't want to wear foundation cause i don't like the cakey feeling of it. tips on how to apply would be nice too. thanks in advance! =)

1. the reason why the eyeliner runs is probably from the oil on your lids. a primer is the only thing that can help prevent it from running... or maybe you can try powdering your eyes with a mattifying powder before you apply eyeliner, but that wont be as effective as a primer

2. try wearing loose powder alone and see how i looks ^^ lol. im sure if you moisturize before applying, it wont have dry patches.. maybe.. if you dont need much coverage, try using a tinted moisturizer

idk if that helped ^^;;

Guest Aki_

thank you so much! (:

which one would you recommend for the most natural look?

no prob; no makeup! XD haha

just fooling, erm tbh, the most natural look is probably just concealer. 1. it conceals just your blemishes, your natural skin tone is left untouched. 2. it means your skin can breathe. (but only the acne combating sort would do you any good really)

i have stopped using foundations and concealers and whats not bb creams and have found it to do more good evening out my skin tone that foundations and concealers. the only time i use these products is to conceal under my eyebags or if i'm going out on an occasion or for the night.

@tinatran_ if i feel like i need to wear something, loose powder works just fine. just make sure you prime/moisturise first. or if you want, liquid foundation/bb cream mixed into your moisturiser to dilute, or just a tinted moisturiser like yuri9do0 suggested

Guest pixai

Can anyone review MACS select moisture concealer? I'm thinking of purchasing it, although I already have the studio finish concealer.

i have a constant problem with my eyeliner and concealer. if i put on concealer and eyeliner, my eyeliner ALWAYS smudges--guarenteed. i have to take one or the other, not both >< do you have any remedies?

the second problem is that i have tried every eyeliner out there and every single one smudges- what should i do?! for the first three or four hours its fine but after that, a shadow begins to develop on my lower line and by the end of the day i look like a mess =[ is there anything i can do so that it wont smudge like crazy?

(I tried putting loose powder to "set it" and eyeshadow as well but neither solved the problem)

What brand/type of eyeliner do you use?

Guest telegraph

Can anyone review MACS select moisture concealer? I'm thinking of purchasing it, although I already have the studio finish concealer.

one word: makeupalley

Guest breathenonstopx

I know some foundations have SPF, but if you're putting on sunscreen separately (on your face) do you do it first? =x

Guest thaaaao

"Oxidation" is actually when your facial oils and sebum mix with your foundation, messing with the formula. It causes some ingredients to break down and turn orange. Start with a clean, washed face and use a primer to avoid oxidation.

Guest blackjackVip

Where can i buy BB cream and Skinfood??

pls. help?

website links will be really helpful. :)

Guest crushie

Thank you loveutomorrow for answering my questions :)

Regarding "oxidation", what can I do besides clean, moisturize, and prime my face before foundation to prevent foundation turning orangish?

is it better to use loose powder or pressed powder to set liquid foundation?

thanks!

It depends on what kind of look you're going for really. Generally for me, loose powder provides a heavier coverage --> more matte look than pressed since I apply both with a large powder brush. If you want more of a matte finish and better coverage, you can apply your pressed powder with a sponge.

Really the real difference to me is that loose powder is actually cheaper to buy than pressed powder since you get a lot less product in compact powders. Just an example using the ones I use: Guerlain Les Voilettes Pressed powder is £28 for 7.5g. Paul & Joe Loose Powder N is £28 for 25g. Therefore, it's much more economic to use loose powder to set. I generally use this at home, and take my compact powder out with me for touch ups.

Guest bhebie9

I have extremely oily skin, EXTREMELY OILY (sorry but I need to emphasize it). I need to blot every hour cause my face shines like a disco ball. I've tried everything using primer, setting my makeup with a powder, blotting, using gentle skincare products, using oil free products and nothing helps. I am positive that its not the products that I use that makes it oily because my skin has always been naturally oily. Even before I even started using any cosmetics or skin care products my face was always shiney. I also pretty sure that its not the food I eat either because even when I change my eating habits it still doesn't help either.

Is there anything I can try doing to reduce the oil?

I used to have really oily skin too, but my skin has improve during the past months and a lot of it has got to do with my skin care. I used to put on cream moisturizers after I wash my face before bedtime and in the morning before I put my make-up on. Even with the make-up base and setting powder, my face gets shiny so quickly. I realize that it must be the creams that I put on my face, even when they say that they're for "oily skin" or that they help "control oil" they still made my face so greasy. eww xO

So I threw away my creams and bought liquid serum type of moisturizers instead of the rich and creamy moisturizers. I noticed that my new serum moisturizers sink into my skin instead of sitting on it like cream moisturizers, and it REALLY hydrates my skin without making it oily. Now, with my new skin care, I would sometimes go for more than 12 hours with make-up (at school then work later) and I noticed that I never had to reapply my make-up or blotch (perhaps it has something to do with my new foundation too).

I hope that helped =]

i have a constant problem with my eyeliner and concealer. if i put on concealer and eyeliner, my eyeliner ALWAYS smudges--guarenteed. i have to take one or the other, not both >< do you have any remedies?

the second problem is that i have tried every eyeliner out there and every single one smudges- what should i do?! for the first three or four hours its fine but after that, a shadow begins to develop on my lower line and by the end of the day i look like a mess =[ is there anything i can do so that it wont smudge like crazy?

(I tried putting loose powder to "set it" and eyeshadow as well but neither solved the problem)

Always set both products. After you apply your concealer, apply some powder over it to set it. Find a pencil eyeliner with a less creamy formula so it doesn't smudge as much. Smudging with pencil eyeliner is inevitable, but if you want less smudging, set it with the same color eye shadow with a liner brush. Sometimes I use a gel liner my water line and lower lash line so that it doesn't smudge. Liquid liner is good for the lower lash line, but I don't think it would work for the waterline.

Guest HHNT

in these picture, do u guys know if they use eyeliner or not?if they do, can u tell me how they do that?thx

wr1m.jpg

copyofd00705204bdfee17d.jpg

Guest Aki_

^ you can achieve a similar look by tightlining.

tightlining is when you use your eyeliner pencil to fill in the gaps in your lashes to achieve a fuller lash line.

basically you take your black/brown eyeliner pencil and run it on the base of your lashes from inside your eye, similar to how you would line your top waterline, instead you press your pencil into the gaps of your lashes. you maintain an invisible line (by which you cant see when you close your eyes)

Guest Faded_Memories

1. Does anyone have problem with Mac Studio Finish Concealer? I bought it based on the good reviews but it's really dry and looks kind of cakey when I put it on. I tried warming it up on my fingers/using a brush and blending it out but when I do, the coverage isn't that great.It barely concealed the redness and it's suppose to be a full coverage concealer.

2. I don't know why but my mascara always smudges onto the bottom of my eye. I didn't have this problem before and looked for different waterproof mascaras that doesn't smudge. I found Cover Girl's Lash Blast waterproof to be decent but now even that is starting to smudge on me.

Thanks.

Guest coldfire-x

Has anybody used the ELF HD Powder or the Translucent Mattifying Powder ? I plan on using it on my prom night but I'm worried that it might come off because I'll probably be sweating a lot that night . How long does it last before it starts wearing off (if its noticable )?

Guest soompier1

2) It would not be weird to just wear loose powder but for your purposes I don't think it's suitable. In order to get even light coverage with powder you would need to apply quite a lot and that usually looks too matte and possibly cakey. Light coverage would be like a tinted moisturizer or BB cream, neither feels cakey. What do you need 'light' coverage for? Most discoloration wil not be visibly reduced by anything of light coverage, it just evens overall skin tone and texture.

Archived