Jyp's Wonder Girls (원더걸스) Official Thread 2

Guest `starry.night

Guest hrmmmhum

I'm pretty late on this, but about WG's activities and all for the past years, here's my input:

I disassociate them from v2.0 fans (those converted when Nobody/Sorry Sorry broke out in 2009) & v1.0 fans (a very small overseas pool from 2007, comprising -- in this order -- China, Thai & a trickle of international fans). For veteran fans, it's not that hard to deduce which fangroup those 2 video presenters belong to. That's not a critique in itself; hopefully they become more knowledgeable as they grow older.

Somehow it's hard for later WF converts to recognize this, but WG was correct to leave Korea at their peak. There was nothing left to conquer at home after the 2008 High1 Seoul Music Awards triumph. They have more ambitions than accepting the status quo or just plying the domestic TV circuit. If not America, IMO they would've likely relocated to China. WG's Guangzhou trip in Jan 2008 was abruptly canceled, a great what-if moment in their careers, since Nobody was going viral elsewhere in the world.

Also, WG's peers like TVXQ, Big Bang, Jewelry, et al. similarly relocated overseas during that time, re-starting at the bottom if necessary. SJ-M went to China around the same time as WG's aborted trip. Why?

Has WG "lost" a lot in Korea? I don't think so. With the K-WFs, Byulha's numerical decline has been relatively mild for a few years now, according to the Daum monthly rankings. Contrast that against the international forums recently: Soompi & WGspec have become ghost towns, Fantastic is a flop (less than 1% of registrants are posting), WFW went dormant for ages, China's longtime WGCN has shut down; ditto a couple of major Thai forums (I think); OTLimit was converted into a blog instead. I think it's us internationals who have lost more fans, not among the K-WFs.

For that matter, what's wrong with "spamming 'Nobody' for 4 years"? As world singers, WG gets to treat their fans to live performances: Korea in 2008, America in 2009, SE Asia/Far East/China in 2010, Europe in 2011, etc. That's how real-life logistics works. Let's have some empathy for those who have waited patiently for their 'turn'. Or imagine the Guangzhou WFs who have missed out on their chance thrice now.

Politically correct to say this or not, I note that Sunmi has gotten a free pass so far in setting back WG's US career. Everyone blames JYP instead, when ultimately it was at her & her mom's insistence. WG has worked too hard to reclaim their US foothold; I'm hesitant about trusting her with an international role again even if she returns.

I agree with the view on the fans. I think there's also the generation with H.O.T, Shinhwa, G.O.D., 1tym, S.E.S, Fin.K.L, etc. Back then, there were hardly any non-Korean fans. Their fanbases basically consisted of Koreans, Korean-Americans, and some Asians. Only after the DBSK/Big Bang/WG era did international fans become more commonly known and even expected.

And honestly, there was S.E.S, Fin.K.L, and kind of Baby V.O.X doing successfully then, but everyone considered and still considers groups like Seo Taiji and the Boys and H.O.T starting the whole idol thing.

Yet with WG, amidst groups like DBSK and BB, you have a female group doing so astonishingly well all over Korea ("the nation's girl group" -- they are the group) and internationally -- now, people disregard parodies and covers as what is expected, not anything new.

It's kind of like they raised the attention for girl groups. Everyone looks forward to girl groups now.

I live in the U.S., so for example, on Facebook, I see people who have been in K-Pop for a while liking people like Wonder Girls. And it seems that those who aren't very experienced or knowledgeable in K-Pop automatically think everything is about SNSD because that's who they see on the surface -- that's the only face Korea has right now. Sure, they have Kara as a girl group who has been around for a while, but they haven't been as successful. So SNSD is not necessarily as much of the nation's girl group as WG from '07-'08 (and kind of '09 although they weren't as active), but if Korea needs someone to represent, there you go.

Maybe this also applies to the Teddy Riley issue.

Of course, this only from my viewpoint living in the U.S. and of other Americans currently into K-Pop.

Like qoxie said, it's really the international fans who aren't as active anymore. WG's Korean fanclub losses aren't as substantial.

In Korea, they still do get quite some media attention and it seems like people are generally as curious about WG as before, looking at the trending search engine topics. But WG isn't as active and the company doesn't push for as much publicity, so that also accounts for the less media attention.

Even if you're blaming JYP for the U.S. venture, what else could they have done? Some say that the losses are greater than the gains, but we haven't even reaped all the gains, yet. We're not there, yet. There's more to come. People say that they don't blame WG, because of course they love WG, and so they blame JYP completely. But WG had a choice in this, too. Going into this we lost a member but she agreed to do this.

And I agree that WG needed to promote Nobody. I really liked what WG did with their U.S. tour because I felt that it was kind of their way of bringing what the Korean fans got in two years to U.S. fans -- like Survivor that was performed at a gayo daejun and Stick Wit U that was performed on radio shows. It's not as if they're promoting the same material in the same city for years straight. It gained so much success globally, which is why artists often release an album and promote for a couple years with tours in various countries. Back to the broader scale, it was successful. I know you want WG to think of you, but think of the other fans as well.

And about how WG treats their fans, I don't see any other artist doing what they do. Has any other group personally made you Valentine's Day chocolate? Has any other group dedicated a fan site to their fans? Does any other group open contests to fans over the world? And usually with 2 prizes for U.S. fans, 2 for Korean fans, 2 for Asian fans, 2 for European fans, etc.

______

About WG's movie genre, since it's a TV movie, it has it's own OST, and they've been going to dance practice, I am expecting it to be a musical -- kind of like High School Musical and other Nickelodeon ones, because that's generally what TV movies and what I think WG wants to go for.

But I think they are trying to make it more hip -- they keep talking about fierce dancing and seeing the warehouse type set, I think their dancing is going more towards the hip hop genre, which I would really enjoy to see myself :D

I think School Gyrlz and American dancing often leans toward hip hop -- kind of like a toned down and teen version of Step Up?

And an ABDC group is going to be in it -- which I think will really garner in some fans! I know people who know a bit about K-Pop and avidly watch ABDC, so I can use that to hopefully reel them into wonderland hahahaha. Actually, I got some people gain more interest in WG by having them watch the performance on SYTYCD : )

So I really think the ABDC crew will help.

The genre is only based off my assumptions, though.

______

I'm glad we have such amazing people to support us and especially WG -- Mark PD, WG's staff (Jane's tweets! <3 ), even the SchoolGyrlz, and each other -- Yenny's tweet once again shows the self-confidence and passion that she has and I know she will use that to reassure other members.

• Replies 39.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest only5Wonders

@Bubbly_millionheiress: Thanks for replying, :)..

'wonderstruck' date='02 October 2011 - 08:21 AM' timestamp='1317572475' post='17415028']

Yes, it was EXR. Here's the few Wonder Dolls scans I have collected, click the thumbnails for the hires versions.

*quoted image* *quoted image* *quoted image* *quoted image* *quoted image* *quoted image*

gahh.. Thank you so much for helping!!! :)

Kya!!! I wanna hug you right now! Here are Wonder Sweets for you kekekeke xD... I'm so weird...-.- lol xD.

1220112318.jpg

I pop in from time to time here as well as wgspectacle just to keep updated with the girls and to see how they are doing but with the whole issue of that producer guy [have no clue what work he has done] I felt I had to also voice my opinion here on the issue and also about our fellow Wonderfuls.

First and foremost that producer seriously needs to stay away from an social media type sites because the more he uses the net the more he makes himself and those that are associated with him look like fools. I'm just disgusted with him in order for him to bring up another idol group he for some strange reason believes that he should bring down the girls [don't get his logic]. BUT you know what out of this all he has only made us Wonderfuls want to show our love for the girls even more so, now more than ever.

We all know the girls are working hard to make a name for themselves in the U.S. We would be fools to think that the girls would be superstars in their first year of being in America. No-one makes it big over night, fame comes with a lot of work, passion and faith within not only their selves but in what they are striving to do and become. With every journey in life we we will face obstacles that we will either overcome easily or over time we will slowly but surely beat it. I have faith in the girls and what type of artists they want to become, I refuse to believe that their move to America was a downfall but instead another obstacle or actually step for them to reach their ultimate dreams. I'm glad they went to America and are aiming bigger than just what the norm is within Kpop [after doing Korea then Japan then China and rest of Asia - that's the end]. The Wonder Girls are still going strong within Asia and although people say there songs are old but hello these are the same songs that brought international attention to Korean Music and it is due to these songs that your favorite girls groups right now are able to dominate the Kpop world.

Anyways enough of my ranting, I just want to say that it is heart warming to see all us Wonderfuls coming out in full force to show our love for the girls and we should all keep our heads up cause the girls don't seemed phased out at all by those who are trying to bring them down. ^^

Guest asma77

I'm so happy to see all these wonderfuls around the world stay together and keep supporting WG

BTW, @KDIK Are u from India?? I was just wondering b/c of your avatar ^_^ ^_^

Guest only5Wonders

^ Agree ♥

And  i just found out that a lot of sones are also disgusted by the way that Riley is trying to promote snsd and the song he produced for them.

i'm glad that fans from both groups involved in the issue are supporting each other ^_^

kekeke.. xD.

Anyway, GAHHH!!!!!!!! WONDER GIRLS ARE SO GORGEOUS IN ALL OF THEIR PICTURES, I'M TRYING TO COLLECT PHOTOS OF THEM TO USE FOR MY FIC, BUT I CAN'T CHOOSE -.-.

THEY ARE ALL SO BEAUTIFUL ♥ ♥

wub.gif

Guest *bluebutterfly*

Congratulations Wonderfuls~! We did it! Nobody & Tell Me are #1 & #2 in the MTV K Top 10 biggest dance crazes in Kpop poll. =D

We were about to keep Nobody votes above 40% and Tell Me had around 26% so overall Wonder Girls won #1 and #2 by 66%!!!

You can view the results here > http://mtvk.com/2011/09/28/mtv-k-top-10-countdown-which-songs-sparked-the-biggest-dance-crazes-in-k-pop/

Guest wonderr23

[Trans] Yubin's part from COOL Magazine Issue426 #HappyYUBirthday:

Being the big sister of the group, Yubin appears as a cool and easy-going person, but deep down she is actually a considerate person.

I must really praise Wonder Girls for their good command and understanding of the Chinese language. The translator was a bit nervous that day and introduced Yubin as Yeeun. In a split second, Yubin took her microphone and spoke in perfect Mandarin "Sorry, I am Yubin". The translator was nervous and apologized profusely, while Yubin motioned that it was alright. At this moment, one of the media personnel sitting beside COOL editor exclaimed "Are they really from Korea? Their mandarin is really good".

[Trans] Sunye's part from COOL Magazine Issue426:

Sunye is no doubt the leader and the mother of the group. When they are back in the hostel, she will occasionally cook for the other members, and she always make it a point to ensure a healthy and balance meal by adding in more vegetables like capsicum and carrots. She makes sure everyone finishes everything... such touching motherly qualities.

According to a secret revealed by Yubin, because Sunye has a passionate love for ddeok, so the other members often had to face weird dishes like 'ddeok soup', 'kimchi ddeok' and even 'seaweed ddeok roll', but luckily it doesn't taste bad. In her spare time, Sunye is always on the look out for ddeok recipes and ingredients, so regardless of where they are, the members are always able to have a taste of korean food made by Sunye.

http://twitpic.com/6uldy8

[Trans] Yeeun's part from COOL Magazine Issue426:

Yeeun is no doubt the queen of the group. She was extremely quiet throughout the interview but exhibit several little actions. She will look down and arranged the table skirting, stare at the cup of drinks, and while watching the VCR on Korean food, she was whispering to Yubin. When rounding up the interview, she looked towards leader Sunye to wrap up; made eye contact with Sunye and motioned for Sunye to answer the question.

However, when Yubin revealed about Sunye's love for ddeok, Yeeun could not help but laughed uncontrollably. On the other hand, Sunye was embarrassed, and both of them were having some 'interactions' behind the table. The atmosphere was full of sisterly love and a heartwarming scene to behold.

[Trans] Sohee's part from COOL Magazine Issue426:

Still the same old mandoo face that appeared before us. Sohee still look the same as before, just that her expression seems to be more at ease, and her bubbly-ness was nowhere to be seen.

Her hairstyle still reminisce that of a young girl, but her outfit was slightly on the formal side and makeup thicker than usual. As compared to Sunye's leader-style answering of questions, Sohee's answers were more official "The hallyu wave is big, so hopefully the K-food wave can also be big. K-food is delicious and healthy so we want to share it with everyone". Maybe she felt weird speaking in a formal tone, so she cheekily shrug her shoulders, and at this moment,the cute "Mandoo Ahn" appeared.

[Trans] Lim's part from COOL Magazine Issue426:

Despite the slight awkwardness in speaking Korean, Lim still appears to be comfortable. When answering the questions, she will subconsciously search for affirmation from the other members, and when she is nervous she will immediately look towards Sunye to seek for help. Despite the hectic schedule, she must have gotten use to this lifestyle.

Someone of little words, her good girl image reminds you of the girl-next-door. It is also because of this image, some people find her plain and till now, doubted her abilities, so the pressure must be great for her. As compared to early 2010 when she first debuted, she has exhibited more courage and more grace, afterall for someone to have to leave her hometown for another country is no easy feat, all the best to Lim.

[cr: Scanned by wondergirls2ye]

translations by: Sunyebaidu

^I believe so, not sure :)

and just for fun. . old stuff haha

when she win an award by herself and was super shy so cuteee

This is funny, I guess they was filming one of snsd's show (back in 08 during so hot days) and you can see Ye eun in the back look nosy keke)

Please hold your nose (don't get a nose bleed) to hot to handle

(need to find this video in HD anyone have it?)

& leader

Okay I'm done lol here one last one..

`We might come in small group now but our love is bigger than ever.

Guest big_face

The incident between WG and Trash Teddy Bear have spot the Korean Media, i think he has created a real mess in here:

http://news.nate.com.../20111003n10710

http://news.nate.com.../20111003n09487

Can anyone please translate the article as well as the comments below of the article? i really want to know what are the korean pps think about this! thanks

Love those gifs .. they look amazing .. but I'm wondering which award did Sohee win?? and when was that??

The video is here:

She is sooo cute >.<!!!

For anyone who wants more WonderBEG, here some very short videos of WonderBEG in 2008 =)

^^

and finally, Happy Birthday YUBIN!!!

tumblr_lsgn7vXbDD1qklw8so1_500.png

CR - satangsatang@tumblr

Guest WonderfulSohee

The incident between WG and Trash Teddy Bear have spot the Korean Media, i think he has created a real mess in here:

http://news.nate.com.../20111003n10710  

http://news.nate.com.../20111003n09487

Can anyone please translate the article as well as the comments below of the article? i really want to know what are the korean pps think about this! thanks

Dear, don't go to that site for news.

My fellow KWF told me that the people commenting on that site are anti of all artist, so those comments are not the good one

And I am sad that in Korea many people are insulting WG and agreeing with T.R

"SM has a lot of reporter" said a KWF

So they have a lot of power with this

I don't understand, here WG are getting more support thanks to that bear, but in Korea people are agreeing with him. . . smh

Guest jcsmark

Lim's recent tweets

20111003day7filminglim.jpg

Me:) http://twitpic.com/6urigs

I used to dream of going to different countries..& I'm still dreaming.

I can't wait for our movie to come out! It's gonna be fun! We r definitely having a good time shooting it!!!

Spread the Wonder! :)

.i'm bored.

Credit WG_Lim

WGs are forever relevant  B)   That's all I learned from this whole twitter situation. Can't wait till the comeback   ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YUBIN!    :wub:   I'm always so proud of her. Forever my first bias and will always have a special place in my heart. 

Thanks for COOL magazine translations!  No matter what I have to give Lim respect for going after her dreams and being brave enough to join WGs. I also think she's grown a lot since her debut. I genuinely see her as part of WGs now and not just a filler.

Guest hrmmmhum

Lim & Jane are walking around Hollywood

JANEyjK JANE

Walking around with Lim in Hollywood!!

3 hours ago

If only I saw this earlier T_T but I still don't think I could have gotten someone to drive me there, and I think they would want to enjoy not touring without being recognized.

I noticed that Jane is keeping in touch with Jonte (she's also been tweeting School Gyrls often -- thank goodness for her networking haha)

JANEyjK JANE

@HelloJonte Jonte!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having some ikura don???;) [Japanese dish with salmon on rice]

28 Sep

Also, do we know who the boy group is going to be?

Because Nick Cannon debuted a male group back in August known as 4Count.

I know the casting director for this film was recruiting a male to be in a male group during the final rounds -- I think they said they already had 4 guys.

So those 4 guys could be 4Count, right?

They've already been on WG's set:

299083_227083497346690_200657929989247_556021_267776409_n.jpg

Happy Birthday, Yubin<3

Guest VenusValentine

@WF Sohee: dont' know how big nate are in korea, however, if they big enough to consider the whole general public, then JYPE should take action soon before Korean public tend to believe what that richard simmons bag said is true. Hire half or even a third amount of SM reporter is enough for public to know the true. However, i afraid that they will do nothing about this issue :ph34r:

@jcsmark: is that Chinese version of cosmos :wub: even China know how the girls are doing but korean public is not. :mellow: i really hope next concept will be rock and roll, cause the girls once said new concept will be a cross between pop and rock. really can't wait for new album to come out ^^ 4 more week :w00t:

Archived