[THE OFFICIAL] IU 아이유 Thread

akinahana89

Things seem a bit slower lately, so I am going to post a question that might get pulled, but I *really* want to ask it:

What is Mexicana Chicken like?

In Toronto, I have had Kentucky Fried, Mary Brown's, Church's, Popeye's, A&W's, and I guess that is all the really widely available ones.

In IU's commercials, it looks sort of like Church's or Popeye's.  These are very similar.  Neither has much spicing in the coating.  I think there is a little black pepper in Popeye's.  The main difference is in the side dishes.

Kentucky Fried and Mary Brown's both have unique spices in their coatings.  I guess I prefer Mary Brown's lately.  But Mexicana's batter fried does not look like it has any spices added in the batter.

Mexicana also has a second version which looks sort of like a Teriyaki, but if I understand the commercial, it is hotter?

Also, did the chicken shop in Lee Soon-Shin actually look like a Mexicana shop?  The chicken looked about right.

I think Chicken ahjumma's shop, in YTBLSS, was Mexicana.

I've never had Mexicana before, so I can't really answer that question, but I agree that it looks like Church's and Popeye's fried chicken. I want to try it one day. I think the second version you're talking about is coating in some kind of hot sauce? The Korean fried chicken I've had here were double fried then coated in some kind of a garlic spicy sauce. I don't know how authentic it is despite their advertisements though. lol

Guest normalahamid

hi @lummy :)

regarding the question whether IU is still consider as an idol or singer or both in Korea, I think she can be considered as both idol & singer/musician..but, nowadays most people in Korea already considered her as singer/musician..but, some of them saying she's both idol & singer/musician cause she's popular & has large fanbase :)

Guest Fahmida Joyti

tumblr_n7u0iaWIbp1rlzlwyo1_1280.jpg
[TRANSLATION] 140627 KBS Music Bank - IU & Kim Changwan waiting room interview
MCs: We’re the MCs for Music Bank, Park Seojoon and BoraPSJ: In our waiting room today, we have two people who cross generations.MCs: Hello!IU: Hello, I’m IU. Nice to meet you.KCW: Hello, I’m Kim Changwan. Bora: Kim Changwan sunbaenim, it’s your first time appearing on Music Bank, so how are you feeling?KCW: I feel like I forgot it’s my daughter’s birthday and opened the door to a surprise prepared by her friends.PSJ: How about you, IU? It must have been quite a fresh experience for you, working together with a senior sunbaenim. What was it like?IU: When I first saw sunbaenim, I was still wearing my school uniform.IU: Now as time has passed by, I’ve become a sunbae myself and I’m doing music with sunbaenim, IU: and we can even go for drinks together, so it was a really special experience for me.Bora: The song that both of you will be singing together is ‘Meaning of You’ right? So what is the meaning of Kim Changwan sunbaenim to you?IU: To me, he represents youthhood itself.PSJ: Youthhood.KCW: To me, IU is the future.PSJ: Youthhood and the future. Coming up next soon, we’ll hear a sincere song brought to you by IU and Kim Changwan.KCW: Please…Everyone: stay tuned!
Translated by squishy

Guest akazukincha

Ayame

said: @akazukincha Sorry to cut your post, but I just want to answer your question. You can find the English translation of that song here:

Kim Choo Ja - You Are Far Away
I should have told you that I love you
That I can’t live without you

While I hesitated, you left me

I gave you my heart, my tears
I gave you my dreams- but you are getting farther away

You are far away, forever far away
You are far away

That I can’t live without you

I gave you my heart, my tears
I gave you my dreams- but you are getting farther away

You are far away, forever far away
You are far away

source

140628 YHY Sketchbook 5th Anniversary Special - IU’s Congratulation Video Message

[TRANSLATION] 140628 YHY Sketchbook 5th Anniv IU’s congratulatory message

Hello, I’m IU. It’s Sketchbook’s 5th anniversary. Congratulations! I’m really grateful towards our Hawk-heeyeol MC. It’s fair to say that he made me who I am today with his hawk-stare…*insert short clip* I hope to continue to appear on Sketchbook until I reach Heeyeol samchon’s current age. So please continue to take care of me. When I’m in my 40s, you’ll be… umm… I hope you’ll stay healthy until then.

Translated by squishy with love

140627 MBC ‘I Live Alone’ - Noh Hongchul phonecall with IU cut

http://youtu.be/Tz0smSOlnU4

note: the vid already with thai sub, because the original vid can't posted here..

[TRANSLATION] 140627 MBC ‘I Live Alone’ - Noh Hongchul phonecall with IU cut

[TEXT] Noh Hongchul joins in as well to help give out the invitations
HM: Boss, let’s go for IU.
HC: IU?
[TEXT] Calling IU
HM: APink?
HC: Hey everyone, you know IU right…?
IU: Yes, oppa?
HC: A-yo~
IU: Oppa~
HC: Jieunah, what’re you up to?
IU: I’m exercising, but oppa, aren’t you in New Zealand? No?
[TEXT] Aren’t we supposed to be… close?
HC: No, I’m not. I’m in Switzerland.
IU: Ah, Switzerland.
HC: We’ve known each other for awhile.
IU: Yep yep.
HC: We can take the banana boat and we’re here at a camping site.
[TEXT] This time persuading her to join them to play
IU: Yep.
HC: The mood is absolutely great.
HC: So what’re you up to today?
IU: Oh I.. well, oppa…
HC: Yes?
IU: I’ll consider carefully first..
[TEXT] (rejection) Consider carefully first…
IU: and let you know again later.
HC: Ah, you’re going to consider it carefully first?
Another guest: Hey, Woobin, add more charcoal. Kim Woobin!
HM: Woobin keeps adding more charcoal.
[TEXT] Shall I add more charcoal…?

(Note: Not sure from this cut, but perhaps they were trying to tempt the person on the other side of the phonecall to join them by pretending that Kim Woobin from The Heirs was there with them.)

Translated by squishy with love

Guest Fahmida Joyti

tumblr_inline_n7ws0s0Lay1qz9xe6.jpgOn the 28th June broadcast of MBC ‘Human Documentary - A Good Person’, singer Kim Wansun revealed honestly how her life has changed since the peak of her career. 
In her conversation with her composer, reference was made to IU’s recent cover of her song “A Pierrot Smiles At Us”. Kim Wansun said, “I felt glad when I received the proposal from IU. I thought to myself then that we should certainly go ahead with it.”
Furthermore, in reply to the composer’s suggestion for her to do a cover of “A Pierrot Smiles At Us” too, Kim Wansun said, “IU naturally does a good job of reinterpreting songs with her own style. So unless I manage to be extremely outstanding or exceptional, otherwise I would be at a disadvantage”, praising her junior, IU’s abilities.
(Sorry there was supposed to be a video for this human documentary but it has since been taken down.)
Translated by squishy with loveSource

Guest Fahmida Joyti

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20h3qi_iu-channel-m-hk-interview_music

IU channel M interview in HK. I don't know how to post dailymotion videos here so I just posted the link :/

Back in October 2013, when IU started promoting "Modern Times" and "The Red Shoes" she appeared on YHY's Sketchbook.  Around the middle of the show she sang about half of "낭만에 대하여," and Choi Baek-ho came out and finished the song.  I recently decided I wanted to find an English translation of this song, and "Walk With Me" (from the "Modern Times" album) which they sang to close the first part of the show.  However, that raised a new issue:  When I looked up the album in Wikipedia, this performance was mentioned as follows:

see: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Times_%28IU_album%29"

'On KBS's You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook, the singer performed "The Red Shoes", "Bad Day" (Hangul: 싫은 날; RR: Sireun Nal), and "Walk with Me, Girl", alongside "Against Romance" (Hangul: 낭만에 대하여; RR: Nangmane Daehayeo) originally sung by Choi Baek-ho, who featured in "Walk with Me, Girl".'

Notice that in the above quote the song name has been translated as "Against Romance."  Until now, I have only seen this song referred to in English as "About Romance," and that is what I have been looking for.  I do not speak, read, write, or understand Korean -- well maybe a couple of words so far.  Can anyone with more experience comment on this difference?  Is "Against Romance" a possible alternate translation or is it outright wrong?

Also, I still am looking for the lyrics (both for "About Romance" and also for "Walk With Me, Girl"), so if anyone can help me with those it would also be appreciated.

Here's the link to the clip I am referring to on YouTube.  It has probably been posted in this forum before:

"131011 YHY Sketchbook IU ENG SUB"

"

"

(Subs and timing by squishy
Hardsub by kpoppa)

[2014-07-03 minor formatting and grammatical corrections, and corrected that IU opened the show instead of closing it.]

@buckwheat01 I believe this video will solve your query.
This is the official KBS World channel where they official subbed it to english for broadcast.
As shown, the song is called About Romance (I have also only know it as About Romance).
Also, the video is fully subbed so there are lyrics to the all the songs she sang on the show.

At around 14.10 (About Romance)

You shouldn't trust Wikipedia 100% as they are added by people like you and me (i.e. not by the company or professional people).  From memory, the IU wiki page was updated by a fan. It may be just a translation error or simple mistake.

Hello I am new fan of IU.Her latest album flower bookmark and her appearance promoting red shoes made me like her. Honesty I did not get the charm of IU and her music before hehe, her previous discography is also good but not my type maybe.

I read somewhere she declined drama offer which make me really happy hehe, sorry to say this whoever want IU starred in drama again, IMHO but her latest albums shows how much she is passionate in music and I also watch her interview YIY sketchbook.

I hope she always favor music over drama and practice song written often, she has potential to be a legend female singer and songwriter of ROK. She get popularity, voice, talent, fan base, good music, passion, attitude and the looks hehe

This is just my wish and opinion after all. Nice to meet you ^^

@lummy welcome to the IU family. I agree that her music has definitely mature over the years. I believe to IU music is her ultimate passion. She has clarified during her small scale concert that she feels that she will be able to make music for life. For that, I believe her. But music requires inspiration, so personally I do not object to her acting as it allows her to experience a different character while in the process allows her to grow as a person. I believe this will aid her music career as well, as you can only write touching music when you have enough experience.

again, welcome welcome. Our thread may not be the fastest moving thread but we have sincere earnest fans that are helpful and truely respect IU.
Hopefully, once you get to know IU further, you will love her down-to-earth personality as well.
:D