Do you ever get your ETHNICITY mistaken...?

Guest eminemjamesuk

I love how the topic starter is basically asking what makes someone look like they're from hong kong, yet everyone in here is saying things like "oh.. I'm blah blah blah but everyone thinks I'm korean or japanese" :rolleyes: .

I noticed that too, haha.

But anyways, I was going to mention how maybe it was the way you talked, but then I read it again and it said the way you LOOKED, so I'm not much help here. :`D

People from Hong Kong can't be much different in looks except for the fashion (even though it looked pretty similar from where I stayed at); I don't see how their eyes would be bigger.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flicksityy

I'm Honky, and well Hong Kong people just look Chinese, it's mostly the fashion we Hkers use to see whether the person is from Hong Kong or not. But sometimes people who are not Hk dress like them, so you can't really determine whether the person is full blooded hk or not.

Guest saintdaifuku

i'm gonna go with the style of dress and hair

if you have those two, you can look like you're from HK, taiwan, china, korea, japan [respectively] even if you can't speak or understand a word

i get that a lot too, though as soon as i speak they know i'm cbc

one thing i noticed though is that asian fashion tends to like covering up cleavage but they like exposing skin on the arms and legs

they also play around with slim silhouettes --> baggy clothing makes them look slim still, etc

Guest KateLove

This has been happening a lot. People that I've just met (usually pretty fobby) say I look like I'm from Hong Kong. I've only been to China (Beijing/Shanghai) once, so I don't know the differences between Taiwan/Mainland China/Hong Kong. Err, what could it mean? Do people from Hong Kong look different or something? :blink:

I heard from my HK friends. Most Asians in general think mainland

Chinese are unfashionable & poor =[ I don't think this!! But that's

what they said. So if someone is goodlooking/fashionable and look Chinese

they "MUST" be from HK.

Guest MissNatasha

I'm 100% Chinese but my parents were born and raised here in Canada.. and so was I -- For a long time, a lot of people (even Koreans!) thought I was Korean. At my job over the summer, a few ppl randomly asked whether I was Japanese... and now at the restaurant I work at, I'm asked if I'm Taiwanese a lot. I really think it's the style of your hair combined with facial features first, and then how you dress as a secondary thought (if it's close up).

I find those from HK seem to concentrate on their face (like skin) more than their hair and way of dress... and it is true, mainland Chinese aren't perceived to be very well dressed, stylish, or fashionable. Koreans seem to be more full-faced, and you can usually tell w/ their eyes. Japanese girls usually have anime-type faces or very oval faces, and larger eyes than Koreans and Chinese.

I'm curious, who do you think typical Taiwanese girls are like? What distinguishes them?? I went to Tw 2 summers ago and all I noticed were how high maintenance they look...

Guest moncchichi

i'm chinese, my parents are from hongkong.

well, when i speak mando, it's canto accented, thats why people think i'm from hk.

facewise? i've been asked a million different things. korean, chinese, phillipino, half asian (white mix).. the list goes on. i get people asking me if i'm a mixed in hk though... double eyelids? i dunno lol

lol I'm CBC...managed to fit into HK quite well when i was there ^^

To be honest, people that were born in canada look different than the people in HK. We can both speak cantonese, and are of Chinese decent, but there's just that few % where there's a distinguishable difference as to whether we are from Hk or Canada.

Guest champagnee

i think there's like, a definite difference in how people dress / look depending on where they are from.

almost always, if i think someone's from korea, japan, or hk, i'm right.

there's just something about the way they look / present themselves that you know right away.

i always get called filipino for some reason. D:

i'm 100% hk though, so idk.

so lame la ~

Guest yellow submarine

People from Hong Kong cannot have bigger eyes than any other Asian. "Hong Konger" is not even an ethnicity.

Anyways, I think people judge a lot on clothes/appearance in a not so positive way. When pretty Chinese girls dress well, they are automatically assumed to be Korean, Japanese, or Taiwanese. <_<

but it's logical to think that way isn't it? Japan, Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan, are more developed compared to mainland China. so generally people from those places will be more up to date with fashion.

Guest telegraph

^ lol, if you consider fob fashion something to be admired, yeah sure I guess.

It's most likely your facial features. Canto people tend to have bigger eyes(larger double eyelides), flatter nose, kind of dark skin.

Or maybe you have dyed/fried hair and wear a lot of striped clothes that have misspelled english words on it. (:

A true hong kong person can tell if your hong kong is by how you speak Cantonese. But to the average Asian or white person, its impossible. What distinguishes Chinese people and Hong Kong people through characteristics is not that big. I am born in Hong Kong with both parents born also in HK but I've been mistaken more than 15 times for a Korean since i came to Toronto. However, it is mainly from your hairstyle and the way you dress, people associate you with the ethnicity what fits your looks.

As much as I have pride in my heritage as a Hong Kong person, Hong Kong people and Chinese people are still from the same ancestors and thus the same people. Despite, no matter how much we, hong kong people try to differentiate ourselves when people ask, people will conclusively assume your Chinese. In a way, I find it despicable that some of my own people think their better than mainland China people. But I will not assume every Hong Kong person is like that, and I'm sure I am not the only Hong Kong person that sees it that way.

Guest xl0v3juicy

I'm curious, who do you think typical Taiwanese girls are like? What distinguishes them?? I went to Tw 2 summers ago and all I noticed were how high maintenance they look...

I think you just answered your own question lol. I can usually tell someone is taiwanese by the way they dress / look. You're right, they do look high maintenance!

Does anyone here frequently visit the Chinese Net Idol thread?? Whenever I'm there, I can usually already tell who came from where even before finding out. Theres a difference, although I'm not sure exactly what. But its there!! haha. In my opinion, HK people have a slightly "harsher" look, whereas taiwanese generally have softer features. People from HK also look more like south-east asians, imo.

Guest goodnessgracious

From personal experience I think HK people are more designer-oriented and have better English than those from Mainland China :sweatingbullets: . But then my experience is only limited to Chinese students I've met in England.

Guest BBYxENVIOUSS

i see a lot of hk people from where i live. (bay area btw)

i usually tell from the way they dress, talk, act.

& the people you meet, do they speak to you in english or chinese? because if they speak cantonese, they're obviously from hk. but if they speak mandarin , its most likely that they are from china/taiwan.

Guest yellow submarine

^ lol, if you consider fob fashion something to be admired, yeah sure I guess.

It's most likely your facial features. Canto people tend to have bigger eyes(larger double eyelides), flatter nose, kind of dark skin.

Or maybe you have dyed/fried hair and wear a lot of striped clothes that have misspelled english words on it. (:

fob fashion? i just said fashion in general. if a country is more developed, they will have more Western influence. so naturally they will be more up to date no matter what their style is.

lol...with these topics, it's always easy for people to get offended.

Archived