Do you ever get your ETHNICITY mistaken...?

Guest eminemjamesuk

Guest nahiki_jodecist

im filipino and i get asked if im punjabi then id say no theyd ask if i was mexican still no...

another time someone asked me if i was punjabi i said no but they still talked to me in punjabi...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Asians, I always get Korean. Ive had quite a few people walk up to me speaking Korean. People who are not asian usually think I'm Chinese. Then Japanese. Then they give up because they don't know any other ethnicities.

Hm, sometimes am asked if I have some white in me, but I take it as a TREMENDOUS compliment! I'm full Viet btw.

When I was in Mexico, I got confused as Korean. But I just figured that the man doesn't associate with many Asians, so it's not really his fault. I wasn't offended.

I was offended, however, when I was in elementary and middle school, and EVERYONE confused me for being Chinese. And they, themselves, were all Asian. I think it was mostly ignorance thogh, b/c most of my conversations would go like this:

person: so what are you?

me: I'm Vietnamese.

person: ...?

me: Vietnam...southeast Asia...

person: *blinkblink*

me: there was like a war or something...

person: :blink:

me: it's by Laos...

person: o_O??

me: ...

person: ...

me: ...I'm Chinese.

person: OOOOOH!!

Oh, and just recently, someone was surprised when I told him I was Viet because I was so pale and he thought Viets had darker skin.

Guest I Wonder

I always get mistakened for korean because they say its my eyes and mouth...They say i have the classic sterotypical korean face

Guest yumidoma

oh yes..i m been mistaken..so many times..

on time when riding the bus, this man was staring at me the whole time..kinda creepy.....finally he spoke..

man: are you chinese?

me: no

man: are you vietnamese?

me: no

man: are you filipino?

me: no (n as i was abt to say wat i am)

man: u must be indian?? coz of you accent...

me: :wacko: *to myself, all i said was no, wth??*

me: no, I'm NEPALI

man: :unsure: is tht in Asia.??

me: yes, NEPAL is a small country located btw... China and India...

man: oh isn't it part of India

me: :fury:

---other time-- it couldn't be any better

person: i know wat u r, u r mexcian....

me: :blink:

i've been mistaken for chinese, japanese, korean (don't know where the hell do they get tht idea frm...i don't even have any korean, chinese, japanese feature.. u know wat i'm talking abt..rite)

...indian.(coz ppl think i've indian accent n may be coz i can speak in Hindi)

they keep on tellin me..i'm indian....

n i keep tellin' ppl..I'm Nepali..but they don't seem to listen to me...

sometime..its quite funny how...old vietnamese ladies come up to me and speak in vietnamese....I have no clue..wat they are saying....

some times i too mistake ppl's ethnicity ..but there is limit to eveything...

I'm 100% Asian...

I'm a Nepali....

don't know abt it then google it...

Haha, too many times- but I don't really blame anyone.

I'm actually Vietnamese and Filipino,

but people assume I'm just Viet due to my common last name or that I'm Filipino due to my button nose.

Often at times, when I meet new people they question my ethnicity such as;

Japanese or Korean- I have no idea where they would get this, but I guess. Ahaha!

I think it's funny sometimes because I have had experiences where people would speak Japanese or Korean to me

and I'm just like "Hello." :sweatingbullets:

Guest xrockstar

1. First this guy asked me if I was Korean because of my pale skin >.< Ummm no..

2. One person thought I was chinese.. I don't know how o_O

I'm Vietnamese, yet I don't look like I am.

Guest hachi_x3

I'm filipino, and when I was in high school, I was often mistaken for being chinese. I remember when we had pit orchestra rehearsals, there was this chinese girl who thought I was chinese as well, and became pretty ecstatic about it (not that many chinese people in that school) until I told her I wasn't XD We still became really good friends nonetheless.

Guest mAdNeSs~

I always get mistaken for some other ethnicity.

Even from Asians.

Just yesterday, the taxi driver asked if i'm Japanese or Korean and my features don't even look japanese or korean.

yeah i do get mistaken sometimes either korean or chinese but i am hmong. though just a couple of months ago my friends and i went to eat out at china buffet and the chinese lady there though me and my other two friend were some different ethincity cause my other freinds looked hmong but not us than she whisper to her friend and say i look chinese.

Guest strangelyaddicted13

yeah. well, i'm a filipino but my friend always tells me that i resemble SOLBI(a korean singer). she says that i look like a korean girl. then one classmate thought i'm chinese or japanese but i'm not. i just have chinky eyes. then our maid thought i was arabian. WTH?! people are so crazzzyyy. HAHAHA.

Guest strawberry_hit

Yes all the time, it's mostly cause people around where i live probably don't see alot of vietnamese people so they always mistaken even though i look like vietnamese...haha mostly to do with the amout of exposure they have towards that ethnic.

Guest liddyp

i always get mistaken. i'm from america and i think most americans who are not asian suck at figuring out my ethnicity. they always ask if i'm chinese or japanese. if i say no, they just ask where i'm from. its like they don't know any other asian country! tho there are the few ask if i'm korean. i've never met someone who got my ethnicity right. btw its cambodian.

Guest sophistichic

OMG funniest thing ever. I'm Viet and to Asians, I look mixed/Caucasian... and to Caucasions I look Japanese. It's so annoying sometimes... and then people think I'm lying when I tell them I actually Viet!

Archived