Hip-hop Songs With Lyrics Appropriate For Kids

Guest yabba_dabba_doo

All these Hip Hop acts were highly popular among the urban crowd, and none of them curse (nothing over PG or PG-13).  
A Tribe Called Quest - Their stuff is clean they don't swear, but they have songs with the "N" word but it's for political purposes(they'll talk about why they use it, the meaning of the word).  They're highly intelligent, I'd actually suggest looking over some of their lyrics if you teach a higher grade poetry class.  None of their stuff have the "Explicit Warning" on the albums that I know of.  Even for yourself, you'll be a fan.   They're still HUGE among true urban music fans in NYC.  The documentary released about them has a 91% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, they're a really interesting group.  
Pete Rock & CL Smooth -->  Make sure it's just Pete Rock & CL Smooth, because CL Smooth is the MC, he doesn't swear.  If it's Pete Rock and someone else, there will be swearing.  But they were an act together for a few years with many albums.  They make really catchy stuff, with great bass.  Look up "Appreciate" or "The Creator", 2 super catchy songs, stuff you can party to.  
Far East Movement -->  Their radio hits that I've heard are clean.  They're pretty clean overall, don't roll much with a gangster image.  

Archived