[Drama 2008] East Of Eden 에덴의 동쪽

Guest kdramafanusa

Daily TV Rating - [Tuesday 2009-03-03]

TNS

Nationwide Rank / Show / Network / Nationwide Rating / Seoul Rating + Rank {if different from Nationwide}

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> episode 17 (KBS2) - 29.9%

East Of Eden <에덴의동쪽> (MBC) - 24.5%

Credit:kdramafanusa

The rating for the whole series hovers at a stagnant rate for most of the last 10eps.This is clearly the signal how the nation's viewers are expressing their verdict. Just wonder why the pd and his team are still in" alice wonderland " about their work. They just blew their last chance with this week very weak plot. I seriously doubt this drama will stand the test of time.

From the preview for the 2nd last episode, there is nothing really exciting to wow its viewers with a fitting realistic worthwhile finale .Just hope they will not copycat sandglass finale.There is still a lot of plots unfinished...with lots of question marks?? For me it is still the big hooha YR asylum/mental plot which I feel is pretty useless and aimless and never fit into the plot of EOE at all. Then What the heck is it for with so much air time allocated in the first place if it is for nothing.It is like pouring production buget money down the drain .Thus giving injustice to the Rebecca ,Janice plots if undeveloped further

And hopefully it is not the finale with a compromise ending to please just about everyone with no regards to the plot and story line .It would be the worst if it happens

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Jackie is Mike's friend but instead he is the friend of Mike's brother (whom President Guk killed). I think on Episode 50, when DC met with Jackie, Jackie mentioned Mike's brother is his friend just like Mike is DC's friend. And then DC told Jackie he didn't arrange the assassination.

Is Jackie really an ally of DC? Does he really have high regards for DC because of Mike? I did not know Jackie is Mike’s friend! But if that is true then it does make the previous seemingly “useless” presence of Mike’s character somewhat useful. Maybe Jackie could help DC out of jail??

I don't know what to make out of the "bed scene". Maybe nothing happened. The colour is a bit fuzzy. A dream again :sweatingbullets: ? haha....

It doesn't really fit the character of DC for him to sleep with YR before they get married. But with the way the script is going, I don't know.

I agree with semi-fly...this is getting a bit frustrating and I just hope the show will end next week.

Maybe DC and YR will got marry before DC goes to jail that's why he visited his mom :lol: Proof: look at the preview picture from Luv above, there is a scene DC and YR together in bed..or is it a dream??

Well, something to look forward to next week.

Guest fjkuan

Did they get married? DC and YR? they sure look like it, or is premarital sex approved in Korea? I'm glad to see them happy finally and maybe expecting in the last episodes. I still want to see Rebecca and need to have some conclusion with her character, afterall, she is a main character and a first main victim of STH. I want to see a complete wrap up from the last two episodes and nothing abrupt.

Daily TV Rating - [Tuesday 2009-03-03]

TNS

Nationwide Rank / Show / Network / Nationwide Rating / Seoul Rating + Rank {if different from Nationwide}

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> episode 17 (KBS2) - 29.9%

East Of Eden <에덴의동쪽> (MBC) - 24.5%

The rating for the whole series hovers at a stagnant rate for most of the last 10eps.This is clearly the signal how the nation's viewers are expressing their verdict. Just wonder why the pd and his team are still in" alice wonderland " about their work. They just blew their last chance with this week very weak plot. I seriously doubt this drama will stand the test of time.

ohhh gosh darn it! EOE pd/writers can you please make the story even worst!!??

hmm i think the 24.5% part is a mistake...i think it should be in the low teens like 10-12% ratings, 24.5% is a bit stretching it because the story is sooo horrible and stupid, it doesn't make sense anymore...WHY WOULD ANYONE WATCH THIS SHOW!!?? IT'S SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!!!

and why on earth the Japanese even thinking of airing EOE in April coming up on a national TV channel/audience and hyping it up to a fever pitch in Japan...OH MAN THEY'RE LOSING IT!! DON'T THEY SEE THE PROGNOSIS OF THIS DRAMA?? ITS SUCH A BAD SHOW!! SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!!! CAN'T THEY PICK ANOTHER KOREAN DRAMA TO AIR INSTEAD OF EOE!! GAAAAWWD!!!

unless...

nahhh...EOE can't possibly be compared to a good drama...

Unless the jail part is from Episode 56 finale, I don't think MBC will have SSH just sit in jail for 2 episodes. I think somehow he will manage to get out and have the last showdown with STH, and President Hwang (or Jackie). Oops..and the hateful DW too :)

BTW, Episode 54 finally up on aja-aja.

Worst comes to worst ending .. I would rather DC go to jail and have YR waiting for him when he is released rather than killed by STH, Jackie, STH aide, or that scary cat fish man

I don't think Jackie is Mike's friend but instead he is the friend of Mike's brother (whom President Guk killed). I think on Episode 50, when DC met with Jackie, Jackie mentioned Mike's brother is his friend just like Mike is DC's friend. And then DC told Jackie he didn't arrange the assassination.

Wow that would make more sense. It is amazing how when you don't know the language you can even misinterpet the subs. Thanks for the information. It must have been Jackies Aussie accent...lol

Guest savingwork

If anyone watched episode 54, can you please pay attention to this part in the picture below, and tell me why did DW pick up that name tag? thing (what is it called? sorry limited english :sweatingbullets: ) , while he had no problem throwing a book at the graduation picture?He cannot be that neat freak!??

Is it a meaningless reaction or a gesture of something? Looking forwards to your insights. Thanks in advance.

Also can anyone figure out whose name is that: Guk,Grace or DC?

NEW.jpg

-------

Also, is anyone as puzzled as I am with DC and YR running away from the police/prosecutors? It's not as if they are guilty. In fact by running away they're screaming for a guilty verdict. and its not DC characters to do so,is it? Remember when he was young in juvenile detention, although he was not guilty either, yet he was reluctant to escape if not for his mother 's sickness.

Maybe its just for the dramatic effect after all!! I don't know.

The name on that "name plate" is DC.

Is it a meaningless reaction or a gesture of something? Looking forwards to your insights. Thanks in advance.

Also can anyone figure out whose name is that: Guk,Grace or DC?

Guest fjkuan

Worst comes to worst ending .. I would rather DC go to jail and have YR waiting for him when he is released rather than killed by STH, Jackie, STH aide, or that scary cat fish man

I agree. ha ha.."that fish man"...ha ha they pick him so the audience can hate him. STH should go to jail for a long time sentenced by DW, STH's aide and fish man (Mr. Hwang) also goes to jail or dies. DC and YR moves on the horizon. DC is innocent by deeper evidence of deeper crimes witnessed and confessed by Rebecca (where is she?) in a surprise re-appearance.

Guest soonjap

ohhh gosh darn it! EOE pd/writers can you please make the story even worst!!??

hmm i think the 24.5% part is a mistake...i think it should be in the low teens like 10-12% ratings, 24.5% is a bit stretching it because the story is sooo horrible and stupid, it doesn't make sense anymore...WHY WOULD ANYONE WATCH THIS SHOW!!?? IT'S SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!!!

and why on earth the Japanese even thinking of airing EOE in April coming up on a national TV channel/audience and hyping it up to a fever pitch in Japan...OH MAN THEY'RE LOSING IT!! DON'T THEY SEE THE PROGNOSIS OF THIS DRAMA?? ITS SUCH A BAD SHOW!! SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!!! CAN'T THEY PICK ANOTHER KOREAN DRAMA TO AIR INSTEAD OF EOE!! GAAAAWWD!!!

unless...

nahhh...EOE can't possibly be compared to a good drama...

I don't think it's helpful for you to go on about how "stupid" this show is unless you'd like to enlighten folks about your displeasure. I'm not saying that your opinion isn't valid - it just doesn't substantiate the REASON why you are displeased about the show. Clearly you've watched it thus far, which means you liked it or were curious enough to keep watching. Are you unhappy about why Shin Tae Hwan doesn't seem to be getting his comeuppance? Or do you dislike the incontinuity of the characters and/or the the plot? And how would the Japanese viewers know the prognosis of the drama if they've never seen it? Just because you don't happen to like it, doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with your opinion. It would be good if you could elaborate on your reasons for disliking your drama.

My personal opinion of this drama is that the drama has a very deeply religious/Christian theme to it but it is not portrayed very well by the script writing. The viewer has to do too much digging through to get those points and whenever a viewer has to do that, then it means the writer(s) is(are) not doing their job very well. The start of the drama was very interesting and the writing tight and consistent. The storyline, as it progressed, had somehow gotten too convoluted and left other characters out in the cold without much thinking. It's as if the writer(s) have said to themselves, "I don't know what to do with this character so let me leave her/him out there until we can think of something better." Also, I have not been happy about how abrupt Dong Wook's character turned so quickly and it leaves me in disbelief that he could turn his back on his family with so little time passing. Same as Myung Hoon. I think this part of the story, while good-intentioned and in a Christian-themed way, has been lacking; as if the writers have gotten ahead of themselves and left everyone else behind. There's so much potential here but I think the thematic plots have become a little too deep and metaphoric - so much so that there's too much trying to figure it all out. And when that happens, it generally means the writers have missed their target. I don't mind that DC has to go to jail or that maybe STH won't. In life, sometimes the injust happens to the just and the unjust person can get away with it. And how people deal with the aftermath of that situation is worth the telling of the story. But the REAL issue is whether a writer can effectively visualize the drama to relay those kinds of situations or not. And in this case, I do feel that the writers have been rather inconsistent, which is a shame, since the acting is so incredibly good.

Guest soonjap

Did they get married? DC and YR? they sure look like it, or is premarital sex approved in Korea?

What do you mean is premarital sex approved in Korea? By whom? Korea is a Christian-dominated/Buddhist/Confucian country. Korean society will generally publicly denounce premarital sex - but it doesn't mean people don't engage in it. There are countless of Korean celebrities who have had children prior to their wedding - i.e., Jang Hyuk, Lim Chang Jung, Park Myung Soo, Lee Soo Geun to name a few. Clearly the ethic is adopted in name only. Regardless, it is considered to be impolite to talk about it openly and most people don't. There may be some degree of hypocrisy but generally it's considered to be polite to disapprove of it and let people do what they want behind closed doors.

At the end of Ep 55 preview, is the name Jackie screaming LDW or LDC? I think it is LDW but not sure. Looked like LDW may be in trouble. Okay...DC..please don't save him.

Also I think DW and YR hate each other so much. DW held a grudge against her because he believed DC abandoned him because of YR. And YR probably hated him because of what he done to her father.

Guest nysophia_x_ii

i think that this drama has soo many good contents. it could have reached 50% ratings. however, the writers changed in the middle, and the new writer only concentrated on ratings. i think if they had kept to the original storyline, they would have been able to increase ratings by now. I'm not saying that that's what's important, but I'm saying that they lost part of the "soul" of the drama when they went through all that real-life drama and the writer switch. it's still a great drama though ^^

Guest fjkuan

What do you mean is premarital sex approved in Korea? By whom? Korea is a Christian-dominated/Buddhist/Confucian country. Korean society will generally publicly denounce premarital sex - but it doesn't mean people don't engage in it. There are countless of Korean celebrities who have had children prior to their wedding - i.e., Jang Hyuk, Lim Chang Jung, Park Myung Soo, Lee Soo Geun to name a few. Clearly the ethic is adopted in name only. Regardless, it is considered to be impolite to talk about it openly and most people don't. There may be some degree of hypocrisy but generally it's considered to be polite to disapprove of it and let people do what they want behind closed doors.

I posed the question for reason that DC and YR must be married , since many people think it's just an illusion that they married in front of Mr. Gook. Of course I know Korea is a very conservative and traditional country. So, back to the question, DC and YR are then married...? Of course.

Archived