[drama 2009] The Return Of Iljimae 돌아온 일지매

Guest cutiepie

Sorry for the delay. My head's been in a fog because of my cold. :(

Ep. 8

Two men observing some illegal trade with the Chinese (not sure who they are). They are assassinated by an unknown swordsman.

Kim Ja Jeom, king of conspirators, meets with other yangban men.

It turns out that the assassin, Bak Bi Su, works for Kim Ja Jeom.

There are two (rival?) groups/gangs operating illegal activities in the town.

Bulgasari and members of the Bong Seon Yi Group attack some officers on the road. A masked Il Ji Mae intervenes and defeats them. He tells the officers to be on there way, and says to himself that he needs to bring Goo Ja Myung back.

I liked how this scene was shot.

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2pe5.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2rh9.jpg

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2js6.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2fm7.jpg

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2cc5.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2zv5.jpg

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2xh1.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2qb6.jpg

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2vb3.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2qa0.jpg

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2cf6.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2nh1.jpg

Wang Hweng Bo is still doing his exercises to correct his sideways-walking habit, so he won't get caught again. He decides he must get away before Goo Ja Myung returns, so he and two other prisoners escape from prison. The other two men bring him to the Bong Seon Yi Group, where he demonstrates his skills to join the group.

Goo Ja Myung is reinstated. Jung Tae and Soo Ryun welcome him back.

The townsfolk discuss the bulletin about Bulgasari and Cha Dol's tales about Il Ji Mae. (Cha Dol has been exaggerating his own involvement.)

In the marketplace, Cha Dol wonders how he can find Il Ji Mae, and then he spots Wol Hee. He asks her why she's looking for IJM. She says IJM is someone she knows. CD asks what sort of relationship do they have. WH says she briefly met IJM three years ago. This prompts Cha Dol to imagine an unforgettable encounter in which WH couldn't forget IJM. WH says she couldn't forget how IJM had a look of someone who had been abandoned. She reminds CD not to forget to tell her when he finds IJM.

Wol Hee continues her work (making copies of books?). After dropping off her latest batch, she runs into her father's friend again. He thinks the work is beneath her (because of her class) and, once again, urges her to get married, as he is worried about her living alone.

Cha Dol continues to tell tales to the townsfolk of how IJM defeated Bulgasari with his bare hands. In the middle of his story, he spots a gisaeng in the crowd who looks very familiar to him. (OMO, IJM makes a pretty gisaeng! :blink:)

CD runs away when he sees Bae Seon Dal, who scolds him for jabbering away instead of looking for IJM.

Disguised as a deaf gisaeng named Hong Mae, IJM hopes to discover information about the situation/state of things in Hanyang and also about his mother. IJM overhears the Bong Seon Yi group's plans to steal a fortune in gold that's being transported to the countryside.

Wol Hee sees a rainbow and thinks of the the saying that a rainbow appearing means someone you are glad to see will come to see you.....and Il Ji Mae appears.

mbciljimaee08720phdtvx2ln4.jpgmbciljimaee08720phdtvx2mt7.jpg

Wol Hee shows him in to her father's(?) room. IJM says she's gotten prettier, and she says so has he. IJM doesn't know what to make of her comment because it doesn't suit a man to have become prettier. IJM asks WH to play the weolgeum (musical intrument). After the song has ended, IJM removes the weolgeum, and the two caress each other's faces and look deep into each other's eyes. IJM asks WH's surname. It's Yeom. She asks his. He doesn't have a surname. They kiss and make love. (Beautiful song!)

Afterwards, IJM says he came to ask her a favor. He's going to obtain something that needs safe keeping. It needs to be kept hidden from others. WH says she hid him (his body) last time and wonders what she'll have to hide for him this time. He tells her she's dazzled him and hugs her.

Goo Jang Myung and Soo Ryun visit Bae Seon Dal and Cha Dol. GJM heard of the incident where Bulgasari and the Bong Seon Yi Group had blocked the road, and a masked man defeated them and cleared the road again. GJM asks if that masked man could be Il Ji Mae. BSD describes the unusual handle and sheath of IJM's sword, one that's not of Joseon origin. GJM remarks that IJM grew up in China. BSD remembers that IJM had worn Chinese clothes during their first encounter. With his curiosity peaked, BSD asks GJM the story about IJM's youth.

The men transporting the gold fortune have a traitor in their midst and are killed in an ambush. Then, those thieves are ambushed by the Bong Seon Yi Group. IJM defeats the three men left standing and takes the merchandise. He brings the gold to WH's house for safekeeping.

Kim Ja Jeom is furious that gold was lost.

The Bong Seon Yi Group suspect that the gold was stolen by a foreigner because of the ninja star. Wang Hweng Bo is charged with finding that man and the gold.

IJM cuts the gold into smaller pieces and works on melting it into golden plum blossom branches. Wol Hee sulks that he's so engrossed in what he's doing, he's forgotten all about her.

Now Iljimae has another strong competitor, C&A. I hope it can sustain until the end. It's only been 8 episodes.

Happy hearts day everyone.

Mr… Err… Miss Jung Il Woo

jungilwoothereturnofiljgi8.jpg

We all know how Lee Joon Ki looks like when he dresses up as a woman, simply stunning with beauty that isn’t sub par even when placed beside a real woman. But how does Jung Il Woo, who is also playing the role of Iljimae in MBC “The Return of Iljimae” fare, when he slips in female dressing?

On the 12th February, MBC showed the episode 8 of “The Return of Iljimae” in which there is a plot where Iljimae (Jung Il Woo) disguises as a courtesan in order to do some reconnaissance. Iljimae returns to Choson after spending 3 years abroad learning sword skills and began his resolve to help the ordinary folks. There are 2 major reasons why Iljimae decides to disguise as a woman. First is to gather information about Han Yang in the past 3 years. The second is to try to find out his mother’s whereabouts from other courtesans.

After the day’s broadcast, viewers were excited about Jung Il Woo’s “transformation” and swarmed to leave comments on the “The Return of Iljimae” official website. Some wrote, “Jung Il Woo’s female appearance is much prettier than an average woman. My parents mistook him for a female actor”, “The story is getting interesting with Iljimae beginning his righteous activities”.

And this post comes from someone who hasn’t watch a single episode of the drama (no time to do so). But Jung Il Woo’s female appearance is really interesting. Lee Joon Ki’s female dressup is probably more feminine, but Jung Il Woo’s isn’t too far behind as well. Maybe his hair needs to be fixed a little and try not to show his side view too much.

credit: hanfever

Guest tuna_madunna

Aww. :[ I'm quite sad about the ratings, it premiered with high ratings meaning a lot is interested, but here's the Boys Over Flowers and all the hype is absorbed their especially with teens. Basically, they'll prefer their MODERN (present) handsome boys than in an ancient setting. So maybe most of the attention is at BOF. I'm not nagging about BOF, I'm also part of the hype! haha Oh! Plus Cain and Abel will premiere right? hmm.

Anyway guys, it's not about the ratings, it's about of the quality of the drama. :]

the quality is still here! go watch! haha

Hiyaaaaaaaaaaa Friends How R u ?Honestly i have Downloaded All 8 episodes..But I am Wondering Whether i can Find Any English Subtitle for this Drama Or No?Any Eng Subtitles Even for First episoded?:DIl be thankful if you guys help me ..

Thanks In Advance

Guest lucky_moon

Hiyaaaaaaaaaaa Friends How R u ?Honestly i have Downloaded All 8 episodes..But I am Wondering Whether i can Find Any English Subtitle for this Drama Or No?Any Eng Subtitles Even for First episoded?:DIl be thankful if you guys help me ..

Thanks In Advance

There is no English softsub for the drama sadly..

Guest Corrine Tan

Does anyone else find it weird that Wolhee looks exactly like Dalyi?

I know it's a common device especially in Asian dramas, whereby after the female lead dies, the male lead will stumble upon a look-alike and proceeds to begin a relationship with the 'doppleganger'. I can accept the striking resemblance when there is a rational explanation such as the two girls are related or if it is central to the plot. (see 'Love Letter')

In the case of Iljiamae, I'm confounded by it. I love how the PD portrayed IJM and Dalyi's simple love. It was realistic and heartwarmning at the same time. But I'm finding it a bit difficult to accept how IJM and Wolhee's relationship has developed. He first laid eyes on her 3 years ago almost immediately Dalyi's death. Then he just came back 3 years later and began an affair with her.

My confusion: Does he really like her for herself or is Wolhee a substitute for Dalyi? Was the 3-year absence enough for him to bury Dalyi in his heart and accept Wolhee as her own person? Seems to be what the PD is saying but I'm not convinced. For he only had a short interaction with Wolhee before disappearing for 3 years.

Any take on this?

Does anyone else find it weird that Wolhee looks exactly like Dalyi?

I know it's a common device especially in Asian dramas, whereby after the female lead dies, the male lead will stumble upon a look-alike and proceeds to begin a relationship with the 'doppleganger'. I can accept the striking resemblance when there is a rational explanation such as the two girls are related or if it is central to the plot. (see 'Love Letter')

In the case of Iljiamae, I'm confounded by it. I love how the PD portrayed IJM and Dalyi's simple love. It was realistic and heartwarmning at the same time. But I'm finding it a bit difficult to accept how IJM and Wolhee's relationship has developed. He first laid eyes on her 3 years ago almost immediately Dalyi's death. Then he just came back 3 years later and began an affair with her.

My confusion: Does he really like her for herself or is Wolhee a substitute for Dalyi? Was the 3-year absence enough for him to bury Dalyi in his heart and accept Wolhee as her own person? Seems to be what the PD is saying but I'm not convinced. For he only had a short interaction with Wolhee before disappearing for 3 years.

Any take on this?

Although Dal Yi and Wol Hee are both of noble birth, I doubt they're related. I don't know if the manhwa has them looking exactly alike or merely bearing a striking resemblance to one another, but in live-action, that plot device can only be carried out by the same actor. ;)

I look at the DY/WH resemblance as merely a plot device. Sure, Il Ji Mae and Dal Yi's love was simple and pure. First love usually is, but it's Wol Hee who will become IJM's lifelong love, not because of her resemblance to DY, but in her own true right, IMHO.

DY had a childlike innocence that she shared with IJM. It was the blossoming love of adolescence, and her death marked the beginning of IJM's true coming of age into adulthood. In the midst of IJM's despair and hatred for the world, he met Wol Hee. The encounter was brief, but it left a lasting impression on him (and I don't think it's solely because she looked like DY). Wol Hee had no reason to help IJM, a stranger...on the run from the authorities for who knows what crime. But she helps him nonetheless. She chooses to trust, not fear, him....yet, she's not weak or naive. She has an inner strength and intelligence that may have resonated with him.

Next, look at IJM's transformation over those three years. He spent 10 months in his "mother's womb" a.k.a. the monk's "doghouse" for him, and he was reborn. He sought and found family with Geol Chi and was happy for a time, but the misfortunes of the harsh world forced him to leave. Then, he found refuge with Ri-e's family, but, once again, had to leave that behind.

Il Ji Mae returned to Hanyang - 1) a man, and 2) a man with a purpose - to help the underprivileged.

I had no qualms about IJM starting a relationship WH. Theirs is a more mature love than his first love with DY because of IJM's transformation, and they will continue to grow together. I don't think it's developed into the deep, lifelong love yet, but I have a feeling that Wol Hee will soon become IJM's unwaivering rock...the lighthouse with its beacon shining brightly out to him from the shore as he travels through stormy seas.....and his safe haven that he will always return to.

If you're not convinced yet, just give it a little more time. :)

Archived