US Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps arrested for DUI

sugarplum892

itemprop="headline" style="font-family: ProximaNova-Light, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 1.11111em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); word-wrap: break-word; letter-spacing: -1px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"US Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps arrested for DUIOlympic swimming champion Michael Phelps has been arrested for driving under the influence in Baltimore, Maryland.
The police have confirmed that the swimmer was detained in the early hours of Tuesday (September 30) morning in the city's Forst McHenry Tunnel. He was charged with DUI, excessive speed and crossing double lines.
Michael Phelps, London 2012, world record

"A Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) Police Officer was operating stationary radar on southbound I-395 leaving Baltimore City when a White 2014 Land Rover entered the radar's area of influence at excessive speed (84 mph in a 45 mph zone)," a statement from the force said. 
"The officer followed the vehicle onto northbound I-95, through the tunnel and initiated an enforcement stop just beyond the tunnel's toll plaza. 
"Mr Phelps was identified as the driver by his driver's licence and appeared to be under the influence. He was unable to perform satisfactorily a series of standard field sobriety tests. Mr Phelps was cooperative throughout the process."
Phelps was previously arrested on a DUI charge in 2004, for which he was sentenced to 18 months' probation. At the time, he accepted the ruling, commenting that he would "continue learning from this mistake for the rest of my life". 
His teammate Ryan Lochte has called on him to pay for a driver, telling TMZ: "He has so much money to get a driver. I even have a driver. Just stinks for the sport of swimming. But he will become smarter from this. Luckily he did not hurt himself or someone else."
Source

Archived