Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Guest c i e l`

Annoying.

I'm asian but I don't say things like : kawaii ~ and all those.

Other asians are annoying as well when they do that.

But, oh well, I like to call my cousin 'oppa' from time to time, because he call me 'clea-chan'.

It's funny. It's good to be interested in asian culture, but well, it's not that good to try to be asian, when you obviously aren't.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kittykitt129

I eat pocky...not all the time, nor do I think I should go around eating it frequently...that stuff is a chocolate chip cookie on a stick.

I already said something here...I just wanted to say that about the pocky stuff.

Guest Somegirl543

lol i know a girl whose like...a wannabe asian, wasian or wapanese..

She's not my friend but a friend of a friend or w/e

And I dunno the first time i met her it was really unbearable and annoying..

She kept talking about anime stuff and how it's awesome throwing in random japanese words in there..

Then she just like...started meowing like a cat because she thought it was super cute or w/e

but yeah...

She fits more in the profile of like a caucasian otaku though =T

Guest 90th.degree

I'm ticked. I had to put up with a schoolmate who is an ASIAN WAPANESE KID.... after first day of school, my bro, some friends and I went to the mall to hang out. I find out a new anime store is opening up there, and the azn wapanese kid shows up and wants directions to customer service to get more info. My friend points it out and as the kid and his friends walk off hes "thank you, ARIGATO GOZAIMASHO!!" This guy is OBSESSED with the Japanese culture, almost on the same level as the REAL Wapanese kids. I might have an interest in Japan and its urban style, and auto enthusiast scene, but I'm not EXTREME obsessed.

So the point is... Do you guys/gals know of any asians that are an OBSESSIVE step up from OTAKU like my schoolmate? Or do y'all believe that there is no step up, or do believe in it?

i know what you are saying.

i hate it, it's like are you trying to be

wannabe asian or making fun of us.

and usually i take it offensively, so take

the side of making fun of us asians

if they are really wanting to be and i can tell

then i would be like oh wannabe asian...

cool, but then be a bit annoyed.

Guest peaceman

well i have a white friend who is asian-washed. He grew up with asians throughout junior high and senior high. I wouldn't classify the wasian type such as k-pop and stuff. But her likes eating asian food & know a lot of asian phrases we teach him. hehehe. i dont think its annoying at all, it just indicates that he is into the asian culture, nothing wrong with that.

Guest dancingbymyself

I don't really care, even if they correct me, as long as they're right lol.

I hate when wasians try to correct something I said in korean, or something about

a celeb or korean culture, which i know is right, and they just keep saying i'm wrong.

It's like... i'll admit if they know something I don't, or if i'm wrong. But if I know i'm right, or it's

a widely aknowleged fact, then I get pissed.

Oh. And I hate people that don't really speak korean, but just know a few words and

overuse them. Seeing a american person say "aish", or "shibby" just isn't natural.

You have to force yourself untill it become natural to you. Just use the words you already know.

If you have to try to remember an exclamation, then you probably shouldn't use it.

(unless you're trying to break a cursing habit lol)

I get so sick of girls going "Oppa" and "Omona"... it just pisses me off... if you're going to learn korean,

then learn it, but don't just toss in a few words here and there to be a poser.

True.

And speaking of such... it annoys me when there are kids who are half or even less than that and they refuse to acknowledge anything but that particular percentage... like this one girl I know who is half Caucasian and half Hispanic, but she flat-out refuses to acknowledge her white side. As far as she's concerned, she is full Hispanic and will throw a tantrum if the fact that she's only half is ever brought into question. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in her Hispanic side, but she takes it a little too far.

Anyway, wannabe Asians tend to strike a nerve with me. Mainly because I have rarely had any sort of positive experiences with them.

I know a honhyol kid who gets pissed if you call him american. He was born in Korea, has Korean citizenship, raised solely by his Korean family, lived his entire life until college in korea, he didn't speak english fluently till he came to the US and started studying at an ELI.

Whenever someone calls him american... if something doesn't happen they're very likely to get punched in the face.

He said his heart is Korean, and that makes him a Korean. I'm inclined to believe him.

I know he's a honhyol, but he's full korean mentally and spiritually. So I think that makes him count as a full korean.

It's like Insooni. I would never call her an american, even though her father is. T on the other hand I would call american and korean.

If you're raised in one culture, being called the other because of you're parentage can be a bit offensive.

If someone calls me american, i respond. If someone calls me korean I respond.

I was raised equally korean and american though.

If I was raised without my korean side, if people called me korean, I would simply call

myself american. I refer to myself as korean most of the time though, just because that's

what most people would group me into. I do bring out the american side when it's convienent though.

Guest Yubumsuk

Seriously where do you guys meet all these white or black people who 'want to be Asian'? Methinks your views may involve a tad bit of self-flattery. The only ones I've met who are seriously into Asian things are so because they live in Asia, or in a few cases have an Asian spouse.

Don't get me wrong, I find a great deal of Asian culture fascinating as do many other non-Asians. However I only 'act Korean' at times because I happen to live in Korea and often go days at a time not seeing another westerner. I can't think of a single non-Asian person I've ever met in a western country who 'acted Asian' unless they had very strong personal connections to an Asian country (like they lived there or had Asian relatives they spent a lot of time with).

Guest HighSkies

Oh they make me cringe. Once I had a girl come up to me and go 'KONNICHIWA'. >.> I knew what she said but you know... I'm chinese? Not japanese? And it was night too but thats a different thing... I just went 'Uh, Hi.' like that and she walked off looking very confused.

Guest TotalCamwhore

I actually dont really care if a white person is trying to be asian..

what gets on my nerves is..

when an asian of a particular ethnicity acts like they're from a different one..

eg..

chinese trying to act japanese.

like i get the whole concept that you prefer japanese clothing, their food etc...but why take it to the extreme where u look like u stepped out of their monthly magazine and also speak their language when u suck at it too?

hm, i think more annoying is that people your nationality claim that you don't belong to their nationality and start telling you things like "You look like greek" or "you look italian" or calling you for example 'pale Jasmine' because you remind them of Jasmine from disney's "alladin". or when they look at your eyes and say "your eyes, their shape's different from ours" or " you have black hair, you're not one of us, we all have blonde (light brown)" or something like that... i have double nationality, and it's freakingly annoying when both think i'm from a different country, only when i show them my passport they will shut up... so I just plainly grew up without a sense of those two cultures, b/c i've been like 'alienated?'. Sometimes I wish I would just belong to one culture and be accepted by all people who belong to the same culture.

hmmm....since i'm Filipino im an asian right? haha :) becasue most of the time, when you hear asians what comes tom in are the japanese, koreans etc :) haha :) anyways,

I am guilty of sometimes being a wasian ^^ wahaha XD becasue i soooo want to learn korean and japanese and i prefer entertainment by koreans and japanese too ^^ im not really THAT nationalistic. but is wanting to learn the language ofother countires count as being a wasian? haha :)

Guest don.nini

I'm not asian, but people from my school have said to me "youre so asian" or "you have chinky eyes". I'm not into asian culture that much, it's just that I like languages so I'm tackling Japanese for a change.

That's one thing I hate the word "chinky".

I actually hate the way "wasians" act, I've met them and they are unbearable.

Blurting out random japanese/korean words and saying "Omg I'm so asian" or "We're going to go do some asian stuff" or "I'm getting circle lenses so I can have chinky eyes"

I'm like ._.; die! you'll never be asian.

oh my gawd, i totally feel you!!!

My friend is a total wasian! She takes classes on different languages at her school and talks about them all the time. Then she has posters of feminine-ish, malnourished japanese kids on her walls. To top it off, she cosplay and tries to speak the language to native speakers. all she talks about is asian stuff. all we listen to is asian music. she'll even blast the shizz when we're at the asian market. And then she goes all hell on me cuz i have straight black hair. Then she complains about how she can't eat the food. I'm like, dude, if you can't eat our smelly fish and stinky tofu, i don't know how you're going to learn how to slave for your asian husband in a foreign country.

omgsshh.. i came across this page todayy.. andd :blink: its shockingg.. this girl mann! trying reaalllyy hard! ..

u see i dontt really hate wasians but!! geeezzzzzzz this one really annoyed the hell out of me!

THIS IS WAT I CALL WASIAN!

this is her blog..

> http://sirublog.livejournal.com/

wow. She really likes the fashion. Random Japanese words and Japanese style smilies.. and also has a Asian boyfriend.

*shrug* Those people I don't mind, honestly it's just the otakus that bother me.

oh and about the half thing..

I'm a halfie too.. but I really don't know how to act hispanic or filipino :mellow: (yeah we eat rice everyday.. yeah sometimes you'll hear spanish or tagalog in the household..) I don't understand how anyone can act like a certain race if you're not from that country..

IMO I think all mixed people living in the US act American.

Its when people become obsessive with an interest , which could be anything then it becomes annoying.

aka wasians/weeaboos/wapanese etctetc, witht he random outbursts of phrases kawaii etc or claim to be asian etc.

I'm not asian, but I like japan and korea's pop culture (music/history) and I would also like tostudy japanese, But I'm proud of my country and history all ebcause I

take an intrest of another countrys culture does not mean I dream of being the people.

Someone said about white people trying to dress asian, how the hell can you dress asian lol unless you wander around in a culture dress aka kimono or w/e? Fashion is universal.

That blog posted, I didn't read it but her style is blond hair blue eyes aka the gal style which is based on like amercian girls etc? So idk how thats "dressing asian".

Idk just saying that angers me because it seems so snobbish like saying ahha ur trying to be azn if u wear clothes for example alot of asian rocksingers wear creeper shoes or Vivienne westwood when that comes straight from the punk scene in London UK. But you don't see western people saying haha your trying to be english or w/e.

idk /rant

Guest FrozenWaterMelon

I seriously hate that. like i know im half and all :P so i don't try to be too asian. but like there was this chick in my class and she was writing japanese writing on her THIGH from this art bulletin and then like she saw my binder and was like "OOH KOREAN" and im like o_o okay.. and like she tries too hard and this other girl i knew she was like bringing asian food to school and trying to act like one and speak japanese. its pretty sad there were like 10 girls in my school wearing cat ears.. and such. T_T

OMG. There was this girl that I knew

Who like seriously, was CRAZY. She would

seriously, randomly say japanese words in the

middle of a conversation. And she's white. It's just

so.. irritating. At bookstores, she literally buys books

in Japanese.

I guess in a way it's flattering that people want to be

Asian. But there is a limit. And some people, go waaay

over that limit.

@FrozenWaterMelon: OMG SERIOUSLY. there are SOO

many freshmans this year that are wearing them stupid

cat ears. [At least I think they're stupid]. AND they're all