Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest MiiCKYO0CHUNx3

I really like Majolica Majorca's Automatic Eyeliner Pen. It's completely waterproof and smudgeproof. It's one of my favourite eyeliners. I find that MAC Fluidline does smudge a little onto my bottom lids in hot and humid Shanghai, whereas the Majolica Majorca eyeliner pen doesn't at all. Another one that well never go ANYWHERE (and therefore is extremely difficult to remove, even with Lancome Bi-Facil eye makeup remover) is MAC Liquid Last.

Sorry to cut your post! I think I want to try the Majolica Eyeliner pen! Is it only available online? Or can I get it at like a store or something? :D Thanks~

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mukinsvivi

^ Yeahh I wear sunblock spf 70 . . . and although I naturally have fairly pale skin, you just can't avoid

tanning during the summer time !!! I live in Florida so like the sun is full on ''it's my time to shine!'' motto -_-.

I wish those pictures back in the day were the sun was wearing sunglasses would become reality :(.

So basically . . . I use LEMONS/LIME juice to maintain a pale complexion . Just take the juice of the lime/lemon

apply on your face for about 3-5 mins,rinse. It really does work ! ! I still continue to use Sunblock , for skin protection . .

but it doesn't really help much as far as prevention of tan.

You could always wear hats/long sleeves/ carry a parasol (I think that's how you spell it)

Quick questions :

-Who uses their fingers to apply foundation ? ? Because I've always used my fingers . . but I don't really like the finish it gives. . and I think it's time I invest in brushes. If you use a brush. which do you find is best for liquid foundations ? ?

-Can YOU tell that you're wearing foundation? Every time I wear foundation I'm always criticizing myself of how cakey/patchy it looks. . . but everyone says my skin is great. Do you look like SUPER CLOSE to the mirror when apply makeup? ? Or do you look somewhat far away . . . ?

Guest xindi

Hi again girlies! :) Another question...

How do you make concealer LAST?

I'm using Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer and it fades after just an hour on me. Should I use primer beforehand? or is that just for eyeshadow haha

Guest Aki_

Sorry to cut your post! I think I want to try the Majolica Eyeliner pen! Is it only available online? Or can I get it at like a store or something? :D Thanks~

if you're in an asian country you can easily find it either at watsons, guardian or sasa, either that or just go online to ichibankao.com they should have it there

^ Yeahh I wear sunblock spf 70 . . . and although I naturally have fairly pale skin, you just can't avoid

tanning during the summer time !!! I live in Florida so like the sun is full on ''it's my time to shine!'' motto -_-.

I wish those pictures back in the day were the sun was wearing sunglasses would become reality :(.

So basically . . . I use LEMONS/LIME juice to maintain a pale complexion . Just take the juice of the lime/lemon

apply on your face for about 3-5 mins,rinse. It really does work ! ! I still continue to use Sunblock , for skin protection . .

but it doesn't really help much as far as prevention of tan.

You could always wear hats/long sleeves/ carry a parasol (I think that's how you spell it)

Quick questions :

-Who uses their fingers to apply foundation ? ? Because I've always used my fingers . . but I don't really like the finish it gives. . and I think it's time I invest in brushes. If you use a brush. which do you find is best for liquid foundations ? ?

-Can YOU tell that you're wearing foundation? Every time I wear foundation I'm always criticizing myself of how cakey/patchy it looks. . . but everyone says my skin is great. Do you look like SUPER CLOSE to the mirror when apply makeup? ? Or do you look somewhat far away . . . ?

1)i apply with both a brush and fingers depending on how i feel lol! but i feel that you use less product with fingers, but with a brush the finish is smoother and more evenly spread. there are 2 brushes you can use for liquid foundation, a normal foundation brush, its a broad flat brush, fairly dense. or you can use a stippling brush. the first one's kinda like you're painting your foundation on with, the other works on the principal of airbrushing, where the foundation is set into your skin in little fine dots.

2)depending on how much you wear and how cakey, yea people can usually tell, i would say that if you think it looks cakey up close, then you're over applying or you're using one that is too dry. you should probably hold back on the amount of foundation. i find that using a little bit to even out your skin tone works well especially if you mix it with your moisturiser (1:1 or 2:1 ratio moisturiser to foundation), kinda like a tinted moisturiser, but most of all the coverage is still there without it being too thick. that way i know that even if i'm looking up close to the mirror i'm not caking it on because i'm not using that much foundation anyways. :)

I'm using Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer and it fades after just an hour on me. Should I use primer beforehand? or is that just for eyeshadow haha

set it! if you're using concealer with liquid foundation use it after you apply the liquid foundation and set with loose powder or mineral foundation powder. if you're using concealer with powder foundation, use it before you use the powder foundation and then set it with the powder foundation. and yes you could also prime, use a face primer or a makeup base (:

Guest breathenonstopx

=) you can use a sponge

yeah they have makeup/face primers too, itll make your foundation/concealer stay on longer and go on smoother

Guest YukiPuu

Quick questions :

Sorry for cutting your post.

1. I use EcoTool's foundation brush. I bought mine at Ulta for $7, and it's really soft, but sturdy. Apply foundation in crisscross motions to blend, and set it with a translucent powder.

2. I apply my liquid foundations ^ that way, and stand about a foot away from the mirror. If I see any obvious patches, I take my brush and blend it out a bit more. But ever since I switched to using loose mineral foundation, I haven't had problem with cakeyness at all ^^

Set your whole face with translucent powder after you've done your foundation. You can use face primers, but they are often pretty pricey :/ like the Smashbox Photofinish. I haven't heard good things about drugstore face primers.

Guest P a p e r_C l i p

this isn't exactly make up but will double eyelid glue work for me if i just want to make a deeper crease/larger eyelid fold?

Guest Rissalicious

Questionn;;

what does it mean when people say that a foundation gives you a 'dewey look'? from what i read, its a good thing. could aomeone explain what this dewey look looks like, or even provide a picture?

thanks (:

Guest milkychew

^^

hmm hard to explain in words, but dewy skin in general is very radiant and almost shiny (but do not mix it up with the infamous oily sheen!!), actually more glossy than shiny. to me, it almost looks pearly? i always thought jennifer lopez had very nice and dewy looking skin, but anyway i searched it up on google and here's a pic of natalie portman, hope it helps :)

natalie-portman.jpg

ageha: yes on makeupalley, people are constantly going back and taking off lippies because they end up breaking out or for some other delayed reaction weeks after they start using the product. weird o_o and as for the sunblock, UGH that explains a lot lol :P thanks for the suggestion though! i was at target trying to find one, but it's a lot more helpful if i'm looking for a specific product so yea :)

mukinsvivi: wow i've heard of the lemons and lime tip before but i didn't know it actually works! thanks i'll be trying that for now on :D i don't think i'll be doing the whole parasole thing tho... i'm at contradictions right now cause i want to be pale yet i want to wear all my short shorts and tanks this season. ugh -_- thanks anyway tho :P

Guest eyeheartyou

^^ Try mixing a little bit of liquid highlighter, like Benefit High Beam (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1281&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5333), with your foundation. Or if you don't want to spend the money on High Beam, I think Skinfood Lime Secret Shine Base is a nice dupe (http://cgi.ebay.com/Skinfood-Lime-Secret-Shine-Base-85-Lime-Pearl-Peach-/390168263279?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad7d73a6f).

Guest tokyollvogue

I hope someone can help me out :D

Currently when i apply my BB cream, i use my fingers. I was wondering if i could also apply it with a brush, and what brush would be the best type to use ?

Most, though not all BB creams are thick in consistency they are much more difficult to distribute evenly & produce unilateral coverage. Though I know people do, because of BB cream consistency when using a brush the buildup from the BB cream can ultimately ruin your brush if you're using a higher end brush.

One of the Hanskin BB creams I own is particularly thick in consistency and the only way I can achieve an even tone is by using my Beauty Blender. I do make the beauty blender a tid bit more damp than usual, the water helps dilute the product down. However, because of the dilution the coverage factor can be altered. If you're looking for heavier coverage, you may need to have multiple applications.

hope that helped a bit! :D

Most, though not all BB creams are thick in consistency they are much more difficult to distribute evenly & produce unilateral coverage. Though I know people do, because of BB cream consistency when using a brush the buildup from the BB cream can ultimately ruin your brush if you're using a higher end brush.

One of the Hanskin BB creams I own is particularly thick in consistency and the only way I can achieve an even tone is by using my Beauty Blender. I do make the beauty blender a tid bit more damp than usual, the water helps dilute the product down. However, because of the dilution the coverage factor can be altered. If you're looking for heavier coverage, you may need to have multiple applications.

hope that helped a bit! :D

aaaah icic , thanks heaps :D

Guest ix3katz

I hope someone can help me out :D

Currently when i apply my BB cream, i use my fingers. I was wondering if i could also apply it with a brush, and what brush would be the best type to use ?

u definitely can use a brush ...in fact i can imagine that it'll be more even if you use a brush than with fingers? o_o

i have applied BB cream with both a flat foundation brush (looks like a normal paint brush), and also with a stippling brush

i find that flat foundation brush = more streaky, and i tend to layer on too much?

for stippling brush..i feel like i use less product (and is more even & natural looking) , but may accentuate dry patches & harder to get crevices (like around the nose) ... also you probably need to practice a few times before you learn to properly use a stippling brush

either way make sure you clean your brushes regularly, whether ur using a bb cream or not :)

u definitely can use a brush ...in fact i can imagine that it'll be more even if you use a brush than with fingers? o_o

i have applied BB cream with both a flat foundation brush (looks like a normal paint brush), and also with a stippling brush

i find that flat foundation brush = more streaky, and i tend to layer on too much?

for stippling brush..i feel like i use less product (and is more even & natural looking) , but may accentuate dry patches & harder to get crevices (like around the nose) ... also you probably need to practice a few times before you learn to properly use a stippling brush

either way make sure you clean your brushes regularly, whether ur using a bb cream or not :)

thanks for the reply, ill head out and try to find a good stippling brush :D

Guest xindi

YukiPuu Thanks for your help!!

sorry another question LOL, prom this Saturday and I'm still such a makeup noob -__-

I'm not really sure if I'm "applying blush on the apples of your cheeks" right:

nwkm4m.png

When I do it, I get the image on the left, but then it leaves like.. this whole other section of my face bare LOL, am I supposed to do it like the picture on the right and cover up my entire cheek? Sorry for my MS Paint drawings haha

Guest Aki_

^imma steal the picture of natalie portman cos she's a great example XD

natalie-portman.jpg

see the highest points where her cheeks are when she smiles? thats the apple of your cheeks, basically on there and then moving in an upwards motion towards your temple is where you shld apply blush

this isn't exactly make up but will double eyelid glue work for me if i just want to make a deeper crease/larger eyelid fold?

YEAH! I started using double eyelid glue because of that same reason haha.

and YES! It definitely works, but you gotta get the strongest glue that you can buy...otherwise it starts looking really awkward after the first hour or two.

But don't make the fold too big...I tried it and it just looked like i got plastic surgery or something... :huh:

Archived