Japanese Discussion 日本語の討論会

Guest putasmileon

Guest understanding_fiction

Ummm, has anyone here taken the JLPT?

I'm new to the thread, so I don't know if anyone's talked about it o_o;

I need a third language for one of the univs I'm applying to, and I decided that Japanese would be the best for me since I speak Korean and English and since I already know some kanji, having learned it in Korea. I tried learning Chinese but that was epic fail T_T;

The thing is, I need to learn it in... basically half an year because I'm in 12th grade right now, and I apply for Korean universities in September-ish. I don't have to be fluent; I just need to be qualified, so I'm taking the JPT and the JPLT.

I've never learned Japanese before and I'm not an avid J-dorama or anime watcher. I do listen to some Japanese music, if that helps.

I'm thinking of aiming for the 3rd level. If by the test date, I'm not confident, then I'll take the 4th level.

For the people who've taken it, how hard was it?

I'm willing to study hard for it, and I have a Japanese tutor who I'll study with three hours a week.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you already checked if the universities consider JLPT as a qualification?

I think it's possible to pull off 3rd level in half a year, mainly because the JLPT does not test speaking, and you don't need too high of a score to pass. There will be some listening, but even if you flunk that and do well on the grammar/reading/writing part you'll probably pass. I took the 1st level, it wasn't extremely hard but there was lots of obscure things on it.

Anyways you should use this site to study www.jgram.org it organizes the grammar by the JLPT test level and this site does the same only with kanji http://www.jlpt-kanji.com/ your tutor might find them useful in getting ideas on what to test you on. I don't really consider it learning a language if you're not learning to speak, but if you're just looking to pass this then you should probably ignore speaking and focus hard on the reading/writing/grammar, and then if you want to continue Japanese in college take a course from the beginning or something.

Guest understanding_fiction
Have you already checked if the universities consider JLPT as a qualification?

I think it's possible to pull off 3rd level in half a year, mainly because the JLPT does not test speaking, and you don't need too high of a score to pass. There will be some listening, but even if you flunk that and do well on the grammar/reading/writing part you'll probably pass. I took the 1st level, it wasn't extremely hard but there was lots of obscure things on it.

Anyways you should use this site to study www.jgram.org it organizes the grammar by the JLPT test level and this site does the same only with kanji http://www.jlpt-kanji.com/ your tutor might find them useful in getting ideas on what to test you on. I don't really consider it learning a language if you're not learning to speak, but if you're just looking to pass this then you should probably ignore speaking and focus hard on the reading/writing/grammar, and then if you want to continue Japanese in college take a course from the beginning or something.

Thank you =) I do intend to study more Japanese later, but at the moment, I'm in a hurry to get ready for univ. I am also learning some speaking, but I'm focusing more on what would come out on the test.

Guest trabia-wind

i took jlpt 4 last year after watching dramas/reading online stuff for about 2-3 years. it was pretty easy, but i only got 389/400 -_-

i probably could've passed level 3, but i hate taking tests that i don't think i can get close to perfect on..

shouldn't be too hard to pass level 3 if you actually have a tutor. :) plus the curve is sick, you can miss a lot and still pass.

the listening is pretty easy.. but there were one or two where they tried to "trick" you to see if you were paying attention.

good luck!

Guest Our.Love.Melody

hm could someone translate this for me? i'm having trouble

understanding what the person is saying >_<

風呂から出て

シャワーで体洗おうとしたら

首筋がすげえ脈打ち始めた

気付いたら風呂場の床に倒れてた

顎と肘ぶつけながら倒れた

その意識あったけど

体がいうこときかなかった

貧血って恐いって改めて思った

風呂から出て

シャワーで体洗おうとしたら

首筋がすげえ脈打ち始めた

気付いたら風呂場の床に倒れてた

顎と肘ぶつけながら倒れた

その意識あったけど

体がいうこときかなかった

貧血って恐いって改めて思った

When I got out of the bath and tried to shower my neck really began to start pounding. When I came to I was on the floor of the bathroom. I had hit my jaw and elbow when I fell. I was conscious of it happening, but my body wouldn't listen to what I told it to do. It made me think again how scary having anemia is.

Guest akifuji913

I am Half Japanese (My father is the japanese one)

I can understand them a bit. I know how to write to. (Hiragana, Katakana and a bit Kanji)

But still I want to say something to them but I can't let it out.

And my school is teaching Nihongo BTW.

But they only teach like Nihongo for Babies.

So Basic.

I want a direct one.

But hmmph...

I have no time for that..

I still want to learn japanese.

I really want to learn lots of Languages.

haha..

i was wondering if someone could help me into translating this for me.

i have a Japanese friend whose birthday is coming up and leaving to go back home so i'd like give a birthday message to her in advance, however im not very good with japanese so if someone could help me , thanks in advance ^^

Happy Birthday ____.

On this day, may your wish come true and be filled with happiness. I hope you receive many presents and enjoy this day with your friends and family. Stay healthy and continue to work hard in the future.

oh, if possible could this be in hirigana or katakana, im still learning how to read kanjis ^^"

thanks in advance.

^ sounds exciting :) where will u be in Japan?

わー、cerysさんは日本に行くんだ…うらやましいな。

日本のどこに行くつもり何スカ?

LOL! Such a lag in reply XDDD I just returned from my trip last Friday.

京都と東京と広島と古部に行った~

でも、5日間ぐらい、茨城県でホームステイをして学校に行った  :w00t:

とっても楽しかった~~~

色々なことをして、日本の生活を経験した。

わぁぁ  :tears:

日本にまた行きたいよ~~

Ummm, has anyone here taken the JLPT?

I'm new to the thread, so I don't know if anyone's talked about it o_o;

I need a third language for one of the univs I'm applying to, and I decided that Japanese would be the best for me since I speak Korean and English and since I already know some kanji, having learned it in Korea. I tried learning Chinese but that was epic fail T_T;

The thing is, I need to learn it in... basically half an year because I'm in 12th grade right now, and I apply for Korean universities in September-ish. I don't have to be fluent; I just need to be qualified, so I'm taking the JPT and the JPLT.

I've never learned Japanese before and I'm not an avid J-dorama or anime watcher. I do listen to some Japanese music, if that helps.

I'm thinking of aiming for the 3rd level. If by the test date, I'm not confident, then I'll take the 4th level.

For the people who've taken it, how hard was it?

I'm willing to study hard for it, and I have a Japanese tutor who I'll study with three hours a week.

I just took the JLPT level 1 exam earlier this month. I may have passed it, but it's gonna be a close call. The level 3 and 4 exams are fairly easy, especially if have Korean background. The grammar and even kanji. to a certain degree, should be a breeze for you. If you're fairly smart and put in a decent effort, you could certainly pass the 3 with 3-6 months of study. However, if you need a JLPT score before applying next September, I believe the only places you can take the JLPT level 3/4 exams are in Japan, because mid-year exams are not offered in the US, yet, and for other countries outside of Japan, only levels 1 and 2 are offered in the mid-year exam date next year. I think the new JLPT which takes place twice a year in all five new levels will not become available until 2010.

i was wondering if someone could help me into translating this for me.

i have a Japanese friend whose birthday is coming up and leaving to go back home so i'd like give a birthday message to her in advance, however im not very good with japanese so if someone could help me , thanks in advance ^^

Happy Birthday ____.

On this day, may your wish come true and be filled with happiness. I hope you receive many presents and enjoy this day with your friends and family. Stay healthy and continue to work hard in the future.

oh, if possible could this be in hirigana or katakana, im still learning how to read kanjis ^^"

thanks in advance.

この日(ひ)、あなたの願(ねが)いを实现(じつげん)するのをお祈(いの)りします。たくさんのプレゼントをもらって、ご家族(かぞく)と友達(ともだち)と一緒(いっしょ)に楽(たの)しんでほしいの。ご健康(けんこう)を祈(いの)って、お仕事(しごと)にも頑張(がんば)ってください。

I'm not a native speaker, so you might want to get somebody to double-check this for you.

Guest Our.Love.Melody
When I got out of the bath and tried to shower my neck really began to start pounding. When I came to I was on the floor of the bathroom. I had hit my jaw and elbow when I fell. I was conscious of it happening, but my body wouldn't listen to what I told it to do. It made me think again how scary having anemia is.

thank you tamago ^^! you are always a big help~!

for people asking for translations:

i notice a lot of you guys use a lot of flowery nice english, but those words do NOT translate to japanese.

rather than writing out something that sound beautiful in english, write something in simple english and ask if someone could make it sound a little more polite.

ie: rather than: "your smile is like the beautiful sunrise of the first day of the new year", say "i think you have a pretty smile". etc.

(not that i really do any translation in this thread, but the reason i don't is because the requests are wayyy too weird...)

diable, your version is pretty good but yeah, some minor mistakes.

Since I have trouble translating it literally so I hope my literal translation won't mind you.

Happy Birthday ____.

- お誕生日(たんじょうび)おめでとう________。

今日(きょう)はお願い事(おねがいごと)がすべてかなうといいですね。たくさんプレゼントをもらって、家族(かぞく)とお友達(ともだち)と楽(たの)しい、幸(しあ)せな一日(いちにち)を送(おく)ってください。

いつまでも健康(けんこう)でありますように。これからも、がんばってください。

(happy birthday ______.

I hope every wish of yours is granted today. Get a lot of presents, enjoy it with your family and friends, and please spend a happy day.

Always be healthy. And work hard as always.)

sorry if it sounds weird. I tried my best.

Nice! Thanks for the corrections. いい勉強になった。

Archived