Do you ever get your ETHNICITY mistaken...?

Guest eminemjamesuk

Guest LacedOut

I'm Chinese & when I was shopping in HongKong, the lady spoke in English to me, & I was like...I can speak in Chinese.. -dumbdumb- <_<

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sHicalvet

Yea, I've been mistaken as peruvian, korean, japanese, vietnamese @_@. I'm mixed. Filipino-Chinese =z

Guest hearte

i'm filipino, and yeah, i get mistaken for other asian ethnicities too.

like when i walk into an asian supermarket,

random people talk to me in chinese or vietnamese or japanese.

and i'm like, "i'm sorry, i don't understand!! ):"

Guest mizz_anonymous

im filipino, but always, ALWAYS i get mistaken for all kinds of different ethnicities.

mistaken for;

hawaiian

tongan

samoan

chinese

japanese

native american

&some stuff i havent even heard about. LOL.

but usually, when people ask me, i tell them to guess just to see what they say.. majority say hawaiian or chinese.

Guest lampshade

All THA time.

Do I care? NO. It doesn't bother me. I don't lose sleep over it. I don't wish death upon those people who mistaken it because they are so ignorant, omg!

I mistaken other people for something else also. I once mistaken a woman for a monkey. I don't know what that has to do with mistaken ethnicity(mistaken species) but I gave her a banana and she was all confused.

edit: some people think I'm mixed with white.WUT?

Guest tsugumi

i'm Japanese & mistaken a lot for taiwanese

I don't mind (:

often times maybe as a chinese?

but they say not from ''mainland''

hahaha (:

everywhere I go, when I went to Taiwan,

straight out I was mistaken often as a Taiwanese

Guest lovetoday.

in one day i was mistaken TWICE being chinese;

it was hilarious, two people went up to me and started talking cantonese

and im just there saying " sorry what did u say "

If I wear certain clothing then I get mistaken for being Japanese even though I'm Chinese. It can get annoying because there are so many racist people so they start spouting Japanese words infront of me but not to me.

Some of my friends thought I was half or quarter white because I have pale skin x_x It's not my fault that when I want a tan I can't get one and then when I don't want one, one somehow appears =.=

Guest lea11

Getting mistaken as another ethnicity is OK. But in my case, i'm a mutt. And the school that I go to hardly has ANY Asian people at all. So this girl in my class (all white/black/arabic) asks, and she was white, "So where are you from?"

And i was like .. "Canada?"

And she goes.. "Yea but where are you REALLY from?"

I'm like.. "I was born here.. so I AM from Canada."

She's like, "But you dont look Canadian. I thought Canadians were white like us."

I"m like.. "OK, i think you're talking about my ETHNICITIES, I am half korean, mexican and german and hawaiian. AND Canada is a multicultural nation, and white ppl look EUROPEAN. I'd say TRUE north americans look like native americans?"

and shes like "........................*long pause*.... I see the korean and hawaiian in you but i dont see the german and the mexican part."

and I, "*SECRETLY SLAPS THE GIRL*"

Guest iyagi

Hah. I've gotten "Are you Chinese/Japanese/Korean?" ALL the time. And it's almost always all three xD

And I've gotten the "Are you from China/Japan/Korea?" thing too -__-;; and I'm like "No... I'm from here... >.>"

People usually think I'm Japanese the most though. Not from my looks at all (Chinese people say I look Chinese) but from the fact that I love anime/manga and draw it all the time x__x;; grr.

Guest souries_Xd

I'm always mistaken for... A LOT of things.

Here's a list:

Hawaiian; My personal favorite. ^_^

Filipino; <-- I understand why.

Japanese; LOL. wtf.

Korean; I'm no where CLOSE to looking korean. :blink:

Viet; <-- This too.

Spanish; Random Ladies coming up to you and starts speaking Spanish is VERY awkward.

My real race is: Chinese, but I don't look Chinese at all.

Guest christee8876

I'm chinese but people come up to me all the time and tell me that i look filipino or half white. I'm fine with it. i think it's actually really cool :)

once i was out with some of my friends and i started speaking in chinese with my mom on the phone to tell her to come pick me up and he's like, "you're chinese?! what??" yeah...haha it was pretty funny.

Guest proFRESHional.

erg yeah -_-. it doesnt really richard simmons me off or anything. i like to keep people guessing haha.

people have mistaken me for.....

MIEN/laos (most of the time for some reason -_-), mexican because of my skin color...., once korean & once black o_o

when im really chinese/vietnamese haha

Guest joongieforeva

i get mistaken as a korean because i just crap a few words of korean

but i'm happy to be mistaken

i wanna be a korean

I ALWAYS GET MISTAKEN FOR FILIPINOS AND HISPANICS...JUST BECAUSE I HAVE DARK SKIN THEY CANT SEE

THE ASIAN IN ME!!! GETS ME VERY AGITATED!! BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL ALL THE KIDS REFER ME AS CHINESE

CAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY ASIAN CULTURE THEY KNOW...

Archived