Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

• 1 month later...

March 18, 2019

Actress Bae Doo-na Appears on Cover of American Vogue

By Yoo Seog-jae The Chosun Ilbo

Actress Bae Doo-na has become the first Korean to appear on the cover of U.S. fashion magazine Vogue in its 127-year history. 

She shares the cover of the April issue with film stars Scarlett Johansson of the U.S. and Deepika Padukone of India.

In its cover story "14 Countries, 14 Superstars: The Global Actors Who Know No Limits," Vogue introduces Bae by saying, "The daughter of a stage actress, Bae is a serious performer. She has worked with some of the best directors in Asia -- not just Koreans like Park Chan-wook but also Japanese directors like Hirokazu Koreeda."

It adds, "Bae has to admit that her life is 'basically what all millennials would probably dream about.'" 

The actress made her Hollywood debut with "Cloud Atlas" in 2012 and starred in the Netflix series "Sense 8" and "Kingdom."

Source: Vogue

• 1 month later...

May 8, 2019

KIM Yun-seok and BAE Doo-na Catch VIRUS

JUVENILE OFFENDER Director Returns with 1st Commercial Feature

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

KCBxaPrfGCynDSpdIbQc.jpg

Stars KIM Yun-seok and BAE Doo-na will join forces on screen for the first time in the upcoming film Virus (literal title). The project will mark the first commercial feature film of acclaimed indie filmmaker KANG Yi-kwan.

KIM will play a researcher investigating a peculiar virus that causes its hosts to experience feelings of love. BAE is on board to play a virus host under the researcher’s care.

Star of The Chaser (2008), The Thieves (2012) and many other Korean hits, KIM recently made the jump to the director’s chair with the release of his well-received directorial debut

Another Child earlier this year. BAE appeared alongside SONG Kang-ho in the period crime saga The Drug King last year and kicked off 2019 with the Joseon Era zombie series Kingdom, Netflix’s first fully backed original production in Korea. She will join the production of Virus after completing filming on the second season of Kingdom.

Director KANG debuted as a film director with the well-received Sakwa in 2008, which he followed with the equally acclaimed Juvenile Offender, which had its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2012. Virus was originally set to go into production almost five years ago, when it was named Love Is Virus and was set to KANG’s Sakwa lead LEE Sun-kyun.

Virus is expected to get underway in the second half of 2019.

• 2 months later...

July 28, 2019

13 Korean Actors And Actresses You Didn’t Know Speak English

Source: Soompi by binahearts

The only time we really see a Korean celebrity speaking English is during a random scene in a K-drama where the actor has to engage in conversation with someone who speaks English. Sometimes the pronunciation is pretty flawless, and sometimes it’s not so perfect.

Regardless of this, we’re pretty forgiving because English isn’t their first language. I mean, it’s not easy being bilingual! That’s why it’s always a pleasant surprise when you come across a random clip or video online with a Korean celebrity speaking English. It’s even more impressive when said celebrity is pretty darn fluent! Here are 13 Korean actors and actresses who you might not have known are good at English.

1. Choi Woo Shik

2. Park Min Young

3. Han Ye Seul

4. Lee Byung Hun

5. Shin Se Kyung

6. Lee Seo Jin

7. Cha In Pyo

8. Kang Sora

9. Bae Doona

Bae-Doona-7.jpg

Bae Doona never actively tried to learn English, but it came rather naturally. This actress is not only a star in South Korea, but she’s made a big splash in Hollywood with her performances in “Cloud Atlas,” “Jupiter Ascending,” and the series “Sense8.” With all the experience she’s had in Hollywood, Bae Doona was able to acquire English as her second language and became pretty darn good at it!

Here’s a clip of her interview for the movie “Cloud Atlas”:

10. Kim Ji Suk

11. Ahn Hyo Seop

12. Gong Yoo

13. Jung Ryeo Won

• 1 month later...

September 2, 2019

tvN Confirms "Secret Forest 2", Cho Seung-woo on Board, Bae Doona Considering

Via: HanCinema.net

photo1097625.jpg

The second season of "Secret Forest" is taking off.

tvN announced that "Secret Forest" is coming out with season 2, but the release time is unknown.

Writer Lee Soo-yeon-I is in charge of the second season, "Secret Forest 2", but there will be a change in PD from Ahn Gil-ho to Park Hyeon-seok. Park Hyeon-seok is known for his works such as KBS 2TV drama "Uncontrollably Fond" and "The Princess' Man".

When it comes to the cast, actor Cho Seung-woo has confirmed his participation, while Bae Doona's agency has stated that the role offer has been made, but she can only make a decision after the drama's release time has been confirmed.

"Secret Forest" is a tvN Saturday / Sunday drama that was broadcast from June to July of 2017. Throughout the show, it had been loved by viewers, continuing its steady rise in ratings and buzz. Therefore, many viewers demanded Season 2 after the end of the first season.

Sources: (1) (2)

• 1 month later...

October 4, 2019

Chief of studio behind 'Parasite' wins French cinema award

BUSAN, Oct. 4 (Yonhap) -- The chief of the company that produced the Cannes-winning "Parasite" will be given a French cinema award in recognition of her role in promoting South Korea-French collaboration in cinema, the French Embassy here said Friday.

Kwak Shin-ae, the CEO of Barunson E&A, which produced the film by director Bong Joon-ho, and Korean actress Bae Doo-na have been selected as this year's winners of the Etoile Du Cinema award, the embassy said.

The embassy award annually recognizes actors and people from the film industry for their roles in promoting cinematic ties between South Korea and France.

French Ambassador to Seoul Philippe Lefort is scheduled to present the trophy to Kwak during a "French Night" event in Busan Saturday evening on the sidelines of the ongoing Busan International Film Festival (BIFF).

Bae will separately pick up the trophy on Saturday ahead of the premiere of her new film, "#iamhere," at BIFF.

The film by French director Eric Lartigau is one of the biggest movies jointly produced by South Korea and France. Filmed in South Korea's Seoul and Incheon and southern French regions, the movie starring Bae depicts a love story between a French man and a Korean woman.

"Parasite," meanwhile, became the first Korean film to win the top prize at France's Cannes Film Festival this year. Released on June 5 in France, the film also became the most commercially successful Korean cinema title in the European country, having been seen by more than 1.5 million people.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/27/gong-yoo-and-bae-doo-na-confirmed-their-appearances-on-netflixs-the-silent-sea/

Gong Yoo and Bae Doo Na Confirmed Their Appearances on Netflix’s ‘The Silent Sea’

by krishkim 

E7260FCB-DA1E-4549-B9C2-BF0518960432.jpg
Credit: Star News

Actors Gong Yoo and Bae Doo Na will work together in Netflix original series The Silent Sea.

According to a source, Gong Yoo, Bae Doo Na, Lee Joon Hyuk, Kim Sun Young, and Heo Jung Do have recently confirmed their appearances in The Silent Sea. Produced as Netflix original series, The Silent Sea is an SF horror drama about elite soldiers going to a research base abandoned on the moon, set in the future Earth, where water and food shortages have been caused by global desertification.

The series is based on the eponymous 2014 short film directed by Choi Hang Yong, which garnered attention at the Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival the same year.

Jung Woo Sung will participate in the work as a producer, whereas director Choi Hang Yong and writer Park Eun Kyo, famous for Mother, will direct and write the upcoming series. Netflix original series Kingdom’s producer will also participate.

Gong Yoo plays Yoon Jae, a soldier and leader of the team at the space agency, and Bae Doo Na plays Ji An, an exploration agent with secrets. Lee Joon Hyun, Kim Sun Young, and Heo Jung Do will each play Soo Chan, Ga Young, and Ki Soo.

The Silent Sea will be produced in 8 episodes and will start filming in August.

Since it is an SF horror series set on the moon, most of the scenes will be filmed in the film set. It is also seen as an opportunity to introduce Korean VFX technology to the world.

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/08/26/song-kang-ho-kang-dong-won-and-bae-doo-na-to-star-in-hirokazu-koreedas-new-korean-movie/
Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doo Na to Star in Hirokazu Koreeda’s New Korean Movie

by krishkim

CF88B141-A07B-4DCE-ABEC-374F454219FA.jpg
Credit: OSEN, imbc

Hirokazu Koreeda, a world-renowned Japanese director, will direct a Korean movie. And Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doo Na will star together in the master’s film.

According to the film industry, director Hirokazu Koreeda has been planning the film Broker (working title) with the Korean production team for about five years, and the project has finally taken its first step.

Broker is a movie about people who have come into relationships around the ‘Baby Box’ designed to allow people who cannot raise children to leave their babies anonymously.

Hirokazu Koreeda, who won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival with the film Shoplifters, has shown affection for Korean films for a long time.

In his new film, Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doo Na will take the lead roles. The reunion of Song Kang Ho and Kang Dong Won, who showed dazzling performances in the movie Secret Reunion, and Bae Doo Na, who has already worked with Hirokazu Koreeda before in the movie Air Doll, are drawing keen attention. The meeting between three actors representing the Korean film industry and world-renowned director Hirokazu Koreeda already raised the expectations to the fullest.

Director Hirokazu Koreeda said, “This movie will be made in different country and different language just like my previous work. What can we deliver and share beyond language and culture? What is the definition of the director? I’d like to look deeper through this production.”

Broker will be produced by Zip Cinema, which introduced films like #ALIVE, Default, The Priests, and Cold Eyes, and the investment distribution is conducted by CJ ENM. Broker, the first Korean movie directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, who has captivated movie fans around the world with powerful storytelling, delicate directing, and sharp messages, is scheduled to start its filming in 2021.

Source (1)

——

https://www.soompi.com/article/1421682wpp/song-kang-ho-kang-dong-won-and-bae-doona-to-star-in-film-led-by-director-koreeda-hirokazu
Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, And Bae Doona To Star In Film Led By Director Koreeda Hirokazu

by J. Lim | Aug 25, 2020

AA49BF89-76F6-4F7B-9BAF-ED7E52D218F4.web

Japanese director Koreeda Hirokazu, who won the Palme d’Or at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival with “Shoplifters,” will be taking on his first-ever Korean film!

On August 26, it was confirmed that Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doona have been cast in leading roles in the upcoming film “Broker” (literal translation), which will be led by the director. The film is said to revolve around baby boxes, which are set up for people who are no longer able to provide for their babies to anonymously give them up.

Director Koreeda Hirokazu himself explained how the film came to light, and his statement reads as follows:

Plans for “Broker” began about five years ago.

As always, it all began with the actors. I first met Song Kang Ho at the Busan International Film Festival and Kang Dong Won when he was in Tokyo for work. I have continued to stay in contact with the two actors in Tokyo, Seoul, Busan, and Cannes. At first, we simply exchanged greetings but as we continued to share conversations, it naturally led to us talking about working on a film together.

I worked with Bae Doona in 2009, and I thought to myself, ‘I hope we work together again, next time as a human character,’ and that dream has finally come true over 10 years later. And now I will be working on a film with crew members and Korean actors I greatly respect.

“Broker” is a story about baby boxes. Right now, working on the script that will move these three great actors, I am so excited. In order to share this excitement with you all, I hope to create a thrilling, heartwarming, and emotional film.

This film, like my latest film, will be one where I am apart from my home country and native language. What will I be able to express and share as we overcome barriers of language and culture? What does it mean to be a director? I hope to explore those questions through this project.

Zip Cinema will be in charge of production, and CJ ENM will be investing in and distributing the film. The director is known for his powerful storytelling, detailed direction, and sharp messages about social issues, and they are currently in the process of working on the script, with filming set to begin in 2021.

Source (1)(2)(3)
Top photo credits: Xportsnews.

——

Baby Box Korea

• Guest changed the title to Bae Doo Na 배두나 - Upcoming Drama 2021: The Sea of Silence
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2022/04/689_327761.html
'Next Sohee,' starring Bae Doona invited to Critics' Week at Cannes

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2022-04-21

5A7147A0-9F9E-403C-9E0E-F2C39BA2AC08.jpg
Actor Bae Doo-na in a scene from the film "Next Sohee" / Courtesy of Twinplus Partners

The upcoming detective drama "Next Sohee," starring Bae Doo-na and directed by Jung July, has been chosen as the closing film of the Cannes International Film Festival's parallel sidebar Critics' Week, according to production house Twinplus Partners, Thursday.

The Critics' Week program, which was introduced in 1962, is dedicated to filmmakers' first and second features from all around the world. A total of 11 Korean films have been invited so far, including Hur Jin-ho's "Christmas in August" (1998), Jung Ji-woo's "Happy End" (1999) and Han Jun-hee's "Coin Locker Girl" (2015).

"Next Sohee" is Jung's second film, following the 2014 detective drama "The Girl at My Door," which was invited to the "Un Certain Regard" selection of the 67th Cannes Film Festival that year. 

It revolves around Sohee (Kim Si-eun), a high school student who starts training for a subcontracted position at a call center. Sohee cannot bear the highly stressful work culture, and a mysterious incident leads to her death. Detective Oh Yu-jin (Bae) starts to investigate Sohee's death.

This film marks a reunion for Jung and Bae, who collaborated on "A Girl at My Door."

"I am grateful that we can present the film on a brilliant spring day. All the cast and crew worked hard last winter, and I hereby proudly introduce our jewel-like actors to audiences around the world," Jung said. 

Bae said, "From the moment I first read the script of 'Next Sohee,' I was convinced that it would resonate with international audiences. I'm very happy that our film will premiere at such an honorable place. I love this film as much as I love director Jung. I would like to congratulate her on getting the film to premiere during Critics' Week at Cannes." 

The actress has been invited to Cannes with two films, including Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Broker," which will compete for the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes, which will be held from May 17 to 28.

Meanwhile, Huh Moon-young, director of the Busan International Film Festival (BIFF), has been appointed as a juror for this year's Critics' Week. In 2011, the film auteur Lee Chang-dong headed the jury of Critics' Week.

Huh will join four other judges, including Tunisian director Kaouther Ben Hania, to select winners in four categories.

Huh is a film critic and has until recently been the program director of the Busan Cinema Center. He was previously a Korean cinema programmer at the BIFF for five years from 2002 after having built his journalism career at film magazine Cine21.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065575873849724
July Jung·Bae Doo-na 'Next Sohee' selected as closing film for Cannes Film Festival’s Critics’ Week

연합뉴스 / 2022-04-21 10:17:22
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Kim Sun Min.) 

EEA76B14-E716-4E20-A2DD-62AB781320AA.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Twinplus Partners, shows the movie "Next Sohee." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Apr. 21 (Yonhap) – S. Korean film “Next Sohee,” directed by filmmaker July Jung, starring Bae Doo-na has been selected as a closing film for the 75th Cannes Film Festival’s parallel sidebar Critics’ Week, according to the production company Twinplus Partners on Apr. 20.

“Next Sohee” is director Jung’s first film in 8 years, which was invited to the Remarkable Eyes section of the 67th Cannes Film Festival, and it has drawn attention for the reunion of Jung and Bae Doo-na.

Bae, who played Young-nam that protects the girl Do-hee from her stepfather’s abuse in “A Girl at My Next Door,” played the detective Yoo-jin, who has doubts about the case of a high school girl So-hee, who went out to the field practice at a call center.

7A426C3E-DE83-4DD7-93AF-477B8E5BA828.jpg
▲ This file photo shows director July Jung(Left) and Bae Doo-na(Right) visiting the Cannes Film Festival for "A Girl at My Next Door." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Critics’ Week, which was introduced in 1962, is the sidebar dedicated to about ten of first and second films directed by filmmakers from all around the world running alongside the Cannes Film Festival. 

A total of 11 S. Korean films have been invited to the selection, including “Christmas in August”(director Hur Jin-ho), “Happy End”(director Jung Ji-woo), “Bedevilled”(director Jang Cheol-soo), and “Coin Locker Girl”(Han Jun-hee), and “Next Sohee” is the first S. Korean film that was selected as a closing film. 

Bae has been invited to Cannes with two films, where she played detectives, including director Hirokazu Koreeda’s “Broker,” which was named on the lineup. 

Meanwhile, S. Korean journalist and Busan Festival’s topper Huh Monn-yung has been appointed as a jury for this year’s Critics’ Week. Earlier, director Lee Chang-dong headed the jury of Critics’ Week in 2011. 

Along with other judges, including director Kaouther Ben Hania, Huh will select the winners in four categories, including the Critics’ Week. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/04/28/entertainment/movies/Broker-IU-Bae-Doona/20220428113500645.html
'Broker' to hit local theaters on June 8

BY LEE JIAN [lee.jian@joongang.co.kr] | April 28, 2022

A0144EC4-6073-4B37-A706-6E68ECB5E79C.jpg

Poster for the upcoming film "Broker" [CJ ENM]

“Broker" will premiere on June 8, according to CJ ENM on Thursday. 

Starring veteran actors Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won and Bae Doo-na, “Broker” follows a group of characters who embark on a journey to find a new family for a baby who was found in a so-called "baby box."

In Korea, a baby box (most often found in front of community churches) is a place for parents to leave their babies when they feel they cannot raise the child.

Song plays Sang-hyun, a man who calls himself a broker of goodwill. Gang plays Sang-hyun's partner Dong-soo. Bae plays Su-jin, a detective who follows Sang-hyun and Dong-soo's journey.

Actors Lee Joo-Young and Lee Ji-eun (better known as singer-songwriter IU) have also been cast as a junior detective and a mother who placed her child in the baby box but has come back for the baby.

“Broker” is directed by Hirokazu Koreeda. It is the Japanese director's first attempt at producing a Korean movie.

The film has also been invited to compete for the Palme d’Or at the upcoming 75th Cannes Film Festival. The event is slated to be held from May 17 to 28 in Cannes, France.

645C86A3-04BC-4EF4-9DCB-F48D40864858.jpg

Poster for the upcoming film "Broker" [CJ ENM]

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/films/broker
IN COMPETITION - FEATURE FILMS
BROKER
Directed by : KORE-EDA Hirokazu
Year of production : 2022 | Country : SOUTH KOREA | Length : 129 minutes

SYNOPSIS

One rainy night, a baby is left at the baby box facility. Sang-hyun and Dong-soo secretly take it home. However, the next day, So-young unexpectedly returns, looking for her baby Woo-sung. She decides to call the police when she finds out that her boy is missing. The two men’s explanation that they took him to find suitable parents willing to adopt him is hard to believe, but with nowhere left to go, she decides to join their mission to find new parents for her boy. 
Meanwhile, the police detective Su-jin and her subordinate Detective LEE have been investigating the case for the past 6 months, waiting for the decisive moment when they can catch the duo in act. 
This group of people, brought together by a baby box, set off on a journey that will lead to destinations they never expected.

VIDEOS

(^ 3 clips available)

Uploaded by https://youtube.com/c/theupcomingmagazine

Spoiler

D45085AB-A47D-4C0F-9978-733C0A8EF276.web

CREDITS

KORE-EDA Hirokazu - Director
KORE-EDA Hirokazu - Script / Dialogue
HONG Kyung Pyo - Cinematography
KORE-EDA Hirokazu - Film Editor
CHOI Tae Young - Sound

CASTING
SONG Kang Ho 
GANG Dong Won 
BAE Doona 
LEE Ji Eun 
LEE Joo Young

PHOTOS

Spoiler

39FDC327-239B-4BDD-B1A3-D4EEE4199310.web

74A4A6E9-DEF2-4635-AF71-73D5FA8DA47F.web

7EFCEB28-4D3D-4C6C-A5E0-DAB1E835285B.web

EFADCB62-D0E5-49E9-89D9-274567B72FF5.web

ECC8372E-C5B0-42E8-B4AC-9F72E1AC7EA5.web

D33CADD3-20F1-4C7A-AC2D-2646E6DE4D5E.web

BROKER © ? 2022 ZIP CINEMA & CJ ENM Co., Ltd., ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

CONTACTS

Spoiler

Production
ZIP CINEMA - 4F. Proom B/D. 82, Nonhyun2-dong, Gangnam-gu 06052 SEOUL SOUTH KOREA - T: 82 2 517 1230 - gogogo@zipcine.com - www.zipcine.com 

Distribution
METROPOLITAN FILMEXPORT - T: 33 0156592300 - www.metrofilms.com 
- info@metropolitan-films.com

French press
MATILDE INCERTI - T: 33 0148052080 
Matilde INCERTI - matilde.incerti@free.fr

International press
LE PUBLIC SYSTEME CINEMA - T: 33 0141342242 
Alexis DELAGE-TORIEL - caymar@lepublicsysteme.fr
Caroline AYMAR

International sales
CJ ENM - T: 82 1 062 674 805 - http://www.cjenm.com 
- filmsales@cj.net

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065576578847066
Two Korean films to compete for Palme d’Or at Cannes

YonhapNews / 2022-05-17
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Kim Sun Min.)

39691EBC-26F2-4984-A0E2-7CABDC39FBE2.jpg
▲ This file photo shows the Grand Auditorium Louis Lumière in Cannes when "Okja" was screened in 2017. (Yonhap)

SEOUL, May 17 (Yonhap) – This year's 75th Cannes International Film Festival will kick off its journey of 12 days at the Grand Auditorium Louis Lumière in Cannes, the southeastern French resort city, on May 17 at 7 p.m (local time).

The Cannes Film Festival, which is most prestigious among the world's three major film festivals, was canceled and postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and is scheduled to be held as planned in three years.

The opening film is the zombie comedy film "Final Cut,” directed by Michel Hazanavicius, who won five categories at the U.S. Academy Awards for "The Artist,” which was released in 2012.

In the official competition section, 21 films, including the Korean films "Decision to Leave" and "Broker," will compete for the Palme d’Or, the highest prize awarded at the Cannes Film Festival. It is the first time in five years that two Korean titles have been invited to the official competition section at the same time since 2017, when "Okja" (Bong Joon-ho) and "The Day After" (Hong Sang-soo) made the list.

Spoiler

B1321567-9957-4028-B759-170F0E8FCE23.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows "Decision to Leave." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

“Decision to Leave,” directed by Park Chan-wook, depicts the story of a detective Hae-jun, who investigates the murder case in the mountains, developing an interest in the dead man’s mysterious wife Seo Rae. The film stars Park Hae-il and Tang Wei. Director Park, who won the second-highest honor of Grand Prix for "Oldboy" (2004) and took the Jury Prize for "Thirst" (2009), entered the fourth competition section in six years since the psychological thriller "The Handmaiden" in 2016.

“Broker” is written and directed by Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda, who won the Palme d'Or for "Shoplifters" in 2018. Although it was directed by a Japanese director, it is a Korean film starring Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won, Bae Doo-na, Lee Ji-eun (IU), and Lee Joo-young and it is produced by Zip Cinema.  
Director Kore-eda wrote the script under the theme of baby box, which has become a social problem in both Korea and Japan. Song Kang-ho is expected to hit Cannes’ red carpet for the seventh time this year, following last year when he served as a jury member.

"Decision to Leave" and "Broker" will have their world premiere at the Grand Auditorium Louis Lumière in Cannes on May 23 and 26, respectively. French actor Vincent Lindon of “Titane,” which won the Palme d'Or last year, has been named president of the jury. 

B58C60B9-77E2-4931-BE19-F0AAC5893F96.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows "Broker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

In addition to "Broker," various Palme d'Or-winning films, such as Dardenne brothers’ "Tori and Lokita," Cristian Mungiu’s "R.M.N," and Ruben Östlund’s "Triangle of Sadness,” have entered the competition section. James Gray of “Armageddon Time” and David Cronenberg of “Crimes of the Future” will compete for their first Palme d'Or.

S. Korean spy action film “Hunt,” directed by Lee Jung-jae in his feature directorial debut, will be invited to the non-competitive Midnight Screening section, which will screen genre films late at night, marking the first audience on May 20 at midnight. Lee Jung-jae and Jung Woo-sung worked together for the first time in more than 20 years since the film "City of the Rising Sun" (1999). They played the ace agents of National Security Agency who hunt for a North Korean spy chief in South. 

“Next Sohee,” directed by filmmaker July Jung, starring Bae Doo-na has been selected as a closing film for the 75th Cannes Film Festival’s parallel sidebar Critics’ Week. It is the new film of director Jung, who was invited to the Remarkable Eyes section of the 67th Cannes Film Festival for “A Girl at My Next Door” in 2014. Bae Doo-na has been invited to Cannes with two films, including “Broker,” where she also played the detective. Meanwhile, S. Korean journalist and Busan Festival’s topper Huh Monn-yung has been appointed as a jury for this year’s Critics’ Week.

Director Moon Soo-jin’s short animation “Keratin” has been invited to the competition section. Besides, the film “ALL THE PEOPLE I’LL NEVER BE,” directed by French filmmaker, starring Kim Sun-young and Oh Kwang-rok has entered the “Un Certain Regard” section of the Cannes Film Festival. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

On 5/10/2022 at 1:04 PM, Helena said:

IN COMPETITION - FEATURE FILMS
BROKER
Directed by : KORE-EDA Hirokazu
Year of production : 2022 | Country : SOUTH KOREA | Length : 129 minutes

ENGLISH PRESS KIT

https://cdn-media.festival-cannes.com/film_film/0002/75/4d708c400005d5b0938d25a40979ec2965b4bb63.pdf

69309A07-9D04-4B8C-9D96-5C397D401C1A.png

Spoiler

760E42E0-42CD-4AF5-AC10-E006BD59809F.png
B96C4ACF-BD90-489A-B6F3-2F078AC9BC10.png

6E393AE9-A71B-4EFB-8D18-1591FA1D7C75.png
1849FDC6-4BAF-4248-A937-67075DAD53D0.png
193B98ED-438B-4114-9A61-C0B9C61D1685.png

C39FDAF9-3BD4-441E-85D9-1900B2BA1924.png
282D3008-EE9A-44E2-BF6C-68EB5DFB4410.png
36F477D0-9B27-4F5D-A4D2-591418EDC8D8.png

7802B809-220E-48BB-BACD-0F653358B580.png
849D7E1E-BF1D-4298-8DFA-857C532BDBD9.png
9A55B0D0-ECF4-4CF8-8EE2-E1DD5BE0A788.png

34C461C6-D77D-4E26-AA8C-E8BF13C7757D.png
8B141375-48E5-4779-8EF2-8D2968013053.png
30AF9DCA-D88B-469E-B022-2F1631260183.png

C10C5DD9-4161-4D99-8FBD-C17AFF3B2923.png
10853B60-9763-4BBA-AF14-1F315008FE51.png
1927593C-4423-4AAB-B5D0-38D236B9E983.png

947188C1-52CD-45B6-BA7C-237CA6329C89.png
B9785BA2-34DF-47E5-86C6-4C5DEE6E5770.png
3F783BE8-9197-4D49-87B8-96AF461BC1C1.png

FB0E4262-C061-45BB-8E5B-90C82D295EFD.png
0E92F303-6E4C-49AD-9DDA-F4FFC9B2D847.png

FRENCH PRESS KIT
https://cdn-media.festival-cannes.com/film_film/0002/75/26d0b71b7e364f940fa8b0e6970aef3f1483788b.pdf

37935B5E-0370-4D68-8D9C-6A405F369AF2.jpg

——

https://www.screendaily.com/news/cannes-2022-screens-dailies/5170637.article

Screen International’s daily magazines from the 2022 Cannes Film Festival, which runs May 17-28. 

Cannes 2022: Screen’s dailies: Day 2

Page 24
9411EF1F-E661-4303-A4F0-0252F2327140.jpg

On 3/1/2006 at 2:27 AM, melusine said:

Unique.
Interesting.
Eclectic.
Sexy.
Cool.
ONE HELL OF AN ACTRESS + PHOTOGRAPHER.

BAE DOO NA

Name: 배두나 / Bae Doo-Na / Bae Du-Na
Nicknames: 배양, 사오정, 여고괴담, 아롬이, 어둠의 자식, 헐랭이, 만두소녀, 낙지소녀
Profession: Actress, photographer, model
Date of birth: October 11, 1979
Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea
Height: 5'8" ft
Weight: 115 lbs
Blood type: O
Religion: Christian
Family: Mother is renowned theater actress Kim Hwa-Young, businessman father, older brother (Doo-Han) and younger brother (Tae-Han)
Educational background:
--- Seoul Jaedong Elementary School
--- Chung-Ang University Girls' Middle School
--- Chung-Ang University Girls' High School
--- Hanyang University - Major in Theater and Cinema (1998-2000, dropped out)
--- Konkuk University - Major in Film (2007~)
Debut: COOLDOG catalog model (1998)
Motto: 작은 찬사에 동요하지 말고 큰 비난에도 아파하지 말자.
Hobbies: Photography, listening to music, travel, reading books and comics, surfing the Internet, driving, window shopping, flower-arranging, baking
Habit: Touches her head a lot
Personality traits: Extremely moody, but warm personality
Ideal man: Genius, professional, funny, well-mannered (일에 천재적이고 프로페셔널한 남자. 또 유머러스하면서도 매너있는 남자가 내 이상형이야.)
Most favorite person in the world: Her best friend Kang Semi
Her 'treasures': Her car, cell phone, cameras, piano
Most prized possessions: Knitted hats her mom makes
Pet dogs: Nana '나나', Dudu '두두', Jonah '요나'
Regular hair/beauty salons: iHee (Cheongdam), Jean-Pierre Hair Community (Apgujeong)
Preferred make-up style: Either very natural, or Japanese doll-like
Preferred fashion style: Avant-garde
Fashion influences: Sofia Coppola, Chloe Sevigny, Asian street styles
Favorite models: Kate Moss, Audrey Marnay
Favorite photographers: Henri Cartier-Bresson, Diane Arbus
Favorite actors: Gwyneth Paltrow, Faye Wong, Shim Eun-Ha, Leonardo DiCaprio
Favorite movies: Billy Elliot, All About Lily Chou-Chou, The Pianist, Welcome to the Dollhouse
Favorite books: One Hundred and Three Monologues
Favorite colors: Primary colors, sometimes neutrals
Favorite perfume: Truth by Calvin Klein, Hanae Mori
Favorite cars: Mercedes-Benz CL63, Volkswagen Golf R32
Favorite songs: At a Flower Garden by Jung Hoon-Hee, Endless Rain by X Japan
Favorite noraebang/karaoke songs: El Dorado (Ad Madness OST), Perfect Love by Jang Hye-Jin
Favorite sport to watch during the Olympics: Badminton
Favorite food: Chicken, coke, anything with potatoes like gamjatang (spicy pork stew w/ potatoes and vegetables)
Favorite dish: Samgyetang (chicken ginseng soup) that her mother makes
Dishes she cooks best: Ojingau jjigae (squid stew w/ mixed vegetables in spicy sauce), mul-mandu (dumplings cooked in water or broth and served w/ soup)
Favorite season: Autumn
Favorite time of the day: 12:00-2:00 in the morning (a time when she's completely alone, when her mind's in a calm emotional state)

(Some of the "more personal" details are from 1999-2001 profiles 에꼴 so they're probably outdated. Recent "favorites" are from her Nylon 2008 interview.)

YesAsia profile - Bae Du Na, Korea's Quirky Queen
Twitch - Cine21 Interviews Bae Doo-Na
Subway Cinema profile - We Love Bae Doo-na (even if Korea doesn't)
Koreanfilm.org profile
Doona.net profile

Vinyl frog profile
Doonacafe profile
Cine21 profile
Movist profile

Awards and Nominations

2015 Baeksang Arts Awards: Best Actress nominee (A Girl at My Door)
2015 Asian Film Awards: Best Actress (A Girl at My Door)
2015 Chunsa Film Art Awards: Best Actress nominee (A Girl at My Door)
2014 Buil Film Awards: Best Actress nominee (A Girl at My Door)
2014 Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Awards: Best Actress in a Foreign Film (A Girl at My Door)
2010 KBS Drama Awards: Best Actress <Excellence, Miniseries> nominee (Master of Study)
2010 MBC Drama Awards: Best Actress <Excellence> nominee (Gloria)
2010 Takasaki Film Festival: Best Actress (Air Doll)
2010 Asian Film Awards: Best Actress nominee (Air Doll)
2010 Tokyo Sports Film Awards: Best Actress (Air Doll)
2010 Japan Academy Awards: Best Actress nominee (Air Doll)
2007 Chlotrudis Society for Independent Film Awards: Best Supporting Actress nominee (Linda Linda Linda)
2006 Director's CUT Awards: Best Performers Award (The Host ensemble cast)
2006 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Supporting Actress nominee (The Host)
2006 Premiere Rising Star Awards: Best Actress nominee
2003 MBC Drama Awards: Best Actress <Excellence> nominee (Country Princess)
2002 Director's CUT Awards: Best Actress (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance)
2002 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Actress nominee (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance)
2002 Pusan Film Critics Awards: Best Actress (Take Care of My Cat)
2002 Baeksang Art Awards: Best Actress (Take Care of My Cat)
2001 Chunsa Film Art Awards: Best Actress (Take Care of My Cat)
2001 Korean Critics Association (Critics Choice) Awards: Best Actress (Take Care of My Cat)
2000 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (RNA)
2000 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best New Actress (Barking Dogs Never Bite)
1999 KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actress (School, Ad Madness)

2008 2nd Daegu Photo Biennale - Goodwill Ambassador
2000 4th Pucheon International Fantastic Film Festival - PiFan Lady

Filmography - Movies

2015 Jupiter Ascending
2014 도희야 A Girl at My Door / Dohee-ya
2012 Cloud Atlas
2012 코리아 As One / Korea
2012 인류멸망보고서 Doomsday Book 해피 버스데이 Happy Birthday (omnibus)
2009 空氣人形 Air Doll
2006 괴물 The Host / Monster
2005 リンダ リンダ リンダ Linda Linda Linda
2005 티 데이트 Tea Date (short film)
2003 봄날의 곰을 좋아하세요? Spring Bears Love / Do You Like Spring Bear?
2003 튜브 Tube
2002 굳세어라 금순아 Saving My Hubby / Be Strong, Geum-Soon!
2002 복수는 나의 것 Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
2001 고양이를 부탁해 Take Care of My Cat
2000 청춘,靑春 Plum Blossom / Youth
2000 플란다스의 개 Barking Dogs Never Bite / Dog of Flanders / A Higher Animal
1999 링 The Ring Virus

Filmography - TV Dramas

2015 Netflix Sense8
2010-2011 MBC 글로리아 Gloria
2010 KBS 공부의 신 Master of Study / God of Study / Lord of Study
2007 SBS 완벽한 이웃을 만나는법 How to Meet a Perfect Neighbor / The Perfect Neighbor
2006 OCN 썸데이 Someday
2005 MBC 떨리는 가슴 Beating Heart / My Trembling Heart / Six Love Stories
2003 KBS 로즈마리 Rosemary
2003 MBC 위 당당 그녀 Country Princess / Funny Wild Girl / Majestic Lady / Lady of Dignity / Courageous Girl
2001 SBS 남과여 '넌 사랑이라고 말하지, 난 욕망이라고 생각해' Man & Woman "You say it's love, but I think it's desire" (ep 37)
2000-2001 MBC 엄마야 누나야 Mothers and Sisters / Oh Mother, Oh Sister
2000-2001 SBS 자꾸만 보고 싶네 I Want to Keep Seeing You
2000 KBS RNA
2000 KBS 사랑의 유람선 Cruise of Love
2000 KBS 성난 얼굴로 돌아보라 Look Back in Anger / Turn Your Angry Face / Youth in an Angry Face
2000 SBS 러브스토리 '미스 힙합 미스터 록' Love Story "Miss Hip-hop and Mr. Rock" (ep 6)
1999 KBS 광끼 Ad Madness / Ad Maniac / Fanatic / Love Me, Please
1999 KBS 학교 School
1998 KBS 천사쿘 키스 Angel's Kiss

Theater

2008 그녀가 돌아왔다 The Visit - Producer
2004 선데이 서울 Sunday Seoul - Actress, Producer
2002 로베르토 쥬코 Roberto Zucco - Producer

Discography

2010 Gloria OST
2005 we are PARAN MAUM
2005 Linda Linda Linda OST

Books

2008 두나’s 서울놀이 Doona's Seoul Play
2007 두나's 도쿄놀이 Doona's Tokyo Play
2006 두나's 런던놀이 Doona's London Play

Commercials (CF) / Print Ads / Online Ads / Catalogues

COOLDOG | 꾸띠 | i.n.v.u. | TM21 | Lykea Cosmetics | Binggrae Frozen Food Products | Migliore | 츄에츠 Chocolate | Donga Otsuka DemiSoda | Korea Association of Information & Telecommunication | G-Rush | Crencia | Whisper P&G | Ssamzie | KT Nespot | Tomato Savings Bank | PixDix | 2008 Kia Sportage | Eryn Brinie | Make Up For Ever | Suntory I love vegi | Aladdin Bookstore | Olleh Book Cafe | Kiehl's | Uniqlo | Viewfit | Louis Vuitton

Music Videos

2010 이별의 온도 Temperature of Separation by 윤종신 Yoon Jong-Shin (feat. 유희열 Yoo Hee-Yeol)
2010 시소 Seesaw by 뜨거운 감자 Hot Potato | 고백 Confession by 뜨거운 감자 Hot Potato
2009 冷たい雨 Cold Rain by エヴリ・リトル・シング Every Little Thing
2007 널 볼때마다 Every Time I Look At You / Every Time I See You by 강균성 Kang Kyun-Sung
2005 リンダ リンダ Linda Linda by パーランマウム Paran Maum
2000 Still / Only / However 但 (단) by 김돈규 Kim Don-Kyoo
2000 Party Time by 레이제이 Ray Jay
2000 You by 피쉬 Fish

Others

2001 Tomak, Save the Earth: A Love Story - Voice for Simulation Game
1999 MBC Live 음악캠프 Music Camp - MC
1999 SBS Radio 텐텐클럽 TenTen Club - DJ

Links

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/melusine/banBlog.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/melusine/banMinihome.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/melusine/banTokyoPlay.jpg

http://www.doona.net/ [Official]
http://www.doona.pe.kr/
http://cafe.daum.net/love716 [Official]
http://barunsonenter.com/doona/
http://www.hmgent.co.kr/?ch=5&p=artist.woman1&a=5&b=3
DC Inside gallery
IMDb | KMDb | Wikipedia | DramaWiki | AsianWiki | HanCinema
http://blog.naver.com/moogna
Doona Doona Doona @ Facebook

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/melusine/list.jpg
Forum Rules

~NO HOTLINKING of the photos in this thread
All info-gathering and Korean-->English translations by me
so PLS HAVE THE DECENCY TO CREDIT
melusine @ Soompi.com
when reposting or re-translating this profile elsewhere~

Mercedes-Benz CL63 is also my favorite car ever . i added more beauty on it by wrapping it with vinyl wrap.

The Hollywood Reporter May 22, 2022

Cannes: THR's Day 6 Daily

7B7C6ED3-FF3A-4EAD-953B-1AF39AE4B0F8.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-doona-bae-interview-boring-1235151685/
Cannes: Doona Bae Thinks She’s Boring, But We Respectfully Disagree

In Cannes with two titles this year — Hirozaku Kore-eda’s 'Broker' and July Jung’s 'Next Sohee' — the actress reflects on her varied career, her role in the global success of Korean content and why she still loves acting: “Being in front of the camera is the thing that makes me feel most alive”

BY PATRICK BRZESKI | MAY 21, 2022 11:00PM

0036134A-D824-4F19-9EC3-E89E03171BFD.web
Doona Bae COURTESY OF GETTY IMAGES/HAN MYUNG-GU

At each phase of the South Korean film industry’s climb to global ascendency over the past two decades, the work of Doona Bae has been near the center of the picture.

She starred in both Bong Joon-ho’s directorial debut, Barking Dogs Never Bite (2000), and his international breakthrough The Host (2006), not to mention the first installment of Park Chan-wook’s vengeance trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002). She has worked on acclaimed international projects, such as Japanese titles like Linda, Linda, Linda (2005) and Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Air Doll (2009); and she has crossed over to Hollywood more successfully than virtually any other Korean actor of her generation. She starred in the Wachowski’s ambitious sci-fi efforts Cloud Atlas (2012) and Jupiter Ascending (2015), and she has also been a leading figure during the dawning of the streaming age, appearing in Netflix’s Sense8 (2015-2018), the streamer’s first Korean hit, Kingdom (2019-), and more recently in the sci-fi series The Silent Sea, again with Netflix.

At Cannes 2022, already a strong edition for Korean filmmaking, Bae is back with starring roles in two features: Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda’s competition contender Broker, his first Korean film and something of a companion piece to his 2018 Palme d’Or winner Shoplifters; and Korean director July Jung’s Critics’ Week title Next Sohee, her second film with Jung after 2014’s A Girl at My Door. In both films, Bae plays a police detective, investigating cases that involve crimes against young people.

Sadly, the actress won’t be in attendance at Cannes this year, because of shooting commitments in Los Angeles for Zack Synder’s Netflix sci-fi feature Rebel Moon. Ahead of Cannes, The Hollywood Reporter connected with Bae after a day of filming to discuss her current approach to her craft.

Congratulations on both of the films you have in Cannes this year. It’s striking that in both Broker and Next Sohee you play a police detective, because you also played a police officer in July Jung’s first film, The Girl at My Door (2014), and you recently starred as a cop in the hit TV series Stranger. Do you think there’s something about you as a person or a performer that makes you uniquely well suited to play this kind of role?

Well, it’s not out of any special preference on my part, or because I feel my persona is particularly appropriate for these kinds of roles. I think it’s probably more of a coincidence. But with regard to Broker and Next Sohee, I guess, in a way, I like to do films that touch on social issues, so perhaps that’s one reason I’ve often ended up playing various agents of justice.

Can I float a theory? You have a really amazing gift for playing characters who initially seem kind of indifferent or cold on the surface, but over time really delicate emotional shifts begin to register. So maybe detectives are good vehicles for your talent, in a way, because on one level cops are kind of unflappable, as they’ve seen it all before, and they’re just following procedures; but of course they’re still human beings who respond to extreme situations emotionally. Some of the other characters you’ve played share this quality to an extent — like the air doll that comes to life in Kore-eda’s Air Doll, or the clone in Cloud Atlas. What do you think? 

Yeah, I would fully agree! (Laughs) When I portray a character, I tend not to focus on analyzing the character’s profession,  per se, and I don’t approach roles in that kind of way. I want to dive into it, so that the human inside the character shines through — whether it’s a human or a non-human character that I’m playing. I guess what I want is for my audience to look at my characters and my performance and to feel what’s inside the character’s heart rather than what I’m showing on the surface. And that has been consistent across the 20 years or so of my acting, from the very beginning.

You mentioned you’re interested in being in films that touch on social issues. Could you elaborate on that a little? 

Well, it’s nothing particularly grand, but it’s more of just a natural concern — especially social issues that involve children or adolescents. I suppose my mind and heart goes to these issues. It’s not out of my own experience; I just hope for a better world for young people. Even when I watch the news these days, the issues that really outrage me are issues that involve children.

So you’ve worked with July Jung and Hirokazu Kore-eda twice now. What it’s like working with each of them and what are some of your reflections on them as artists?

Oh, I wouldn’t presume to assess or evaluate them. They are two directors that I have huge respect for. I worked with Mr. Kore-eda for the first time for Air Doll in 2009, and ever since then he has been the number one director in my heart. He is greatly respectable in all ways — in the way that he looks at the world, how he treats his actors, crew and all of the staff members on the set. Just the way he looks at life. He is in every way the type of person I aspire to be. When you imagine working with these great master directors, you might picture that they demand their own way on the set to an extent that is oppressive. But, really, with Mr. Kore-eda, he lets you be entirely yourself on the set — almost to the point that you sometimes wonder, am I doing it right? But at the same time that he gives you all of that freedom, he really knows what he’s looking for and perfectly captures all of it.

As for July Jung, she’s a director whom I really just adore. I decided to do her first film, A Girl at My Door, just five minutes after reading the script. I love her style of writing, how she writes each of her sentences with such controlled motion, but such strength. And working on Next Sohee, it was a film that I had a strong personal love for, and I really enjoyed my time on set. The way she led everyone on set was quite different from working with her on her debut a few years ago. Then she was still a little tentative, even girlish, but now she’s in complete command and totally on top of her game. It was a great experience.

So the Korean film industry, of course, has gone through such an incredible evolution and expansion over the past two decades. And you’ve been a central figure and driver of this movement all along the way. What does the recent global recognition of Korean filmmaking mean to you? And what’s your assessment of the current state of the Korean film industry?

Compared to 20 years ago, like you say, Korean film has come a very long way, and it enjoys attention and love from audiences all around the world. I’m really proud of that. Especially when you consider the relatively short history of the Korean film industry compared to Hollywood. I’ve worked on various international projects as well, and one thing I can say is that from an early stage of our Korean industry, our artists had a very strong passion and will to pursue their unique visions — and all along the way, even when the industry was so much smaller than it is today, they were saying, okay, one day this will shine through and be recognized.

But that kind of creative passion is not something that money can buy, so while I’m very proud of where we are today, I’m not without worries or concerns. I’m worried that as we become more and more successful, we will focus on fewer and fewer genres, themes or ways of handling material, and we’ll lose some of the creative diversity that made Korean cinema great.

So when I choose Korean projects these days — much more so than when I pick Hollywood projects — I intentionally try to focus on subjects that are a bit different, or that might have something new to express.

Earlier in your career, there was a brief period when you took time off from acting to pursue other things. I think you took up photography, right? How are you feeling at this stage of your career? Is acting something you think you’ll always want to be doing for the rest of your life, or do you envision a time when you’ll want to pursue something else?

You know, to be honest, at this moment in my life, being in front of the camera is the thing that makes me feel most alive. I still find acting very difficult, but it’s the only thing that makes me feel alive. I don’t know how else to put it. I really love it. My life outside of my filmmaking is quite boring. I’m a boring person. But being another person during a performance — while it’s very challenging and difficult, and every day is a struggle — I still very much enjoy it.

Before I used to have this feeling of maybe wanting to be a better person — a more mature person, so that I could become a better actor to give better performances. So I would have this desire to take some time off, explore myself and just have more life experiences. But now what I feel is that I don’t know when I might not be able to do this work anymore. You know, it could be health issues, or career reasons, or something else that drives me away from acting. But for now, while I have this chance, I want to focus all of my being on this thing that I love doing.

Interview edited for length and clarity.

——

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-hidden-gem-moral-outrage-meets-thriller-tragedy-in-next-sohee-1235151748/
Cannes Hidden Gem: Moral Outrage Meets Thriller Tragedy in ‘Next Sohee’
July Jung’s drama follows a young woman driven to suicide by a relentless work environment and an outraged investigator trying to get to the bottom of what happened.

BY PATRICK BRZESKI | MAY 21, 2022 6:00AM