Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

April 20, 2015

Korean Actors Who Snagged Big Roles in Big Hollywood Releases
By Therese Agcopra | KpopStarz (related excerpt only)
The Korean invasion has made it to Hollywood! Not only are K-pop acts infiltrating American music charts, but even Korean stars are also lighting up the silver screens! Here's a list of some of the Korean actors and actresses that made it big in Hollywood!
Bae Doo Na

bae-doona-jpg.jpg(Photo : Warner Bros. Pictures)
Most popular appearances: Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending
Bae Doona received praise for her amazing performance in the critically acclaimed film "Cloud Atlas". She has received multiple nominations from several award winning bodies, and ranked 3rd place in the Best Support Actress category at the International Online Cinema Awards for her role in "Cloud Atlas".

• Like 2

April 20, 2015

A Global Face: Bae Doo-na

Interview with the Actress of A GIRL AT MY DOOR

By June Kim / KOFIC 

zKCIdzRCkYgankpQjTFi.jpg
Congratulations on winning the Best Actress Award at the Asian Film Awards (AFA). You looked really surprised at the ceremony, how did you feel?
I was speechless. I was nominated for Air Doll a few years ago, but I wasn’t able to attend due to another engagement. My schedule was free this time, so I came to the awards for fun without expecting anything, so it was very surprising. 

The nominated individuals for this category were all big name actresses. I bet it was more meaningful because you ended up winning the title amongst these great names.Just being a part of the nominations with those actresses was an honor. Actually, I was hoping to meet some of them, but many were unable to attend. I was also skeptical about winning because I didn’t think my acting was as dramatically expressed as the others. I tend to have my own style of acting, where I empty myself out. I don’t like to show too much or put in a lot of my own emotions because I think the audience should fill in the underlying emotions and find deeper meaning that way, and really experience the character through their own interpretations. 

We heard that you chose to board A Girl at My Door the minute you read the first line. Why did you make such a decision?The process didn’t even take five minutes. I think it was an intuitive decision. After just reading two lines by director July JUNG, I knew this work was going to be a good film. It also recently won the Scenario Award at the Wildflower Film Awards, which made me think that I’ve made the right choice. The character I play in the film is nothing like me, someone that I could never be. I really liked the character that tries to be grounded in reality but who is actually not realistic at all. 

WXkLFZttmXwwjYiulBvX.jpg 

You’ve worked with the Wachowski siblings on three projects already. What is it like working with them?I call Lana mom. Whenever they ask for me, I’m always there. We have a mutual appreciation for each other and we work well together. For Cloud Atlas, I still think that it must have been a hard choice for them to choose me for the cast. I wasn’t a well-known actress especially outside of Korea and I didn’t speak English that well either. But because they trusted me I’m forever loyal to them. It’s because of people like the Wachowskis that I want to become a better actress. 

Could you tell us about the Netflix series Sense 8?The series will be released on Netflix on June 5th. You can almost think of it as a large scale TV version of Cloud Atlas. There are eight of us who are connected mentally. We can communicate with each other and visit each other although we live in different countries. I was able to shoot on location for most of the cities except for Mumbai. I went to Nairobi, San Francisco, Chicago, Berlin, London, Mexico City, Iceland and of course Seoul. Too bad Korea doesn’t have Netflix yet; I wish audiences in Korea could be able to see the series. 

What is the difference between working overseas and in Korea? Do you find it difficult?I’m actually very good at adapting to new environments. It hasn’t occurred to me that the industries are different, but size is different for sure. The scale of projects in Hollywood is twice or three times that of those in Korea. 

You’ve also worked in Japan for a couple of films. Out of Korea, Japan and America, which country’s working style fits you the most?I personally think Japan’s working style works best for me. They’re very similar to Korea. The films I worked on were low-budget ones but they were very reasonable. There was no wasted time at all. They do a lot of rehearsals during pre-production, and things go more smoothly on the set that way. As for working on Cloud Atlas, I was trained physically from working on Korean sets so the action scenes were easy for me. In Korea, when something needs to be done, it gets done. 

You did a theater production called Sunday Seoul in 2004. Do you plan on doing any other work outside of films and TV dramas?Theater has always been a dream and I want to learn proper theater acting one day. But for now, I think I’ve tried all I wanted to try, and figured out what I most enjoy and do best. I might try theater again some day, but not now. 

What is your next project?I don’t have anything lined up right now, but I really want to try comedy some day. Something as crazy as Shaolin Soccer. I think making someone laugh is the hardest thing to do as an actor, and that is the next mission I’d like to tackle.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this temporary thread for actress Bae Doo Na will be merged with the original existing thread, thank you.

May 9, 2015

Korean muse of Louis Vuitton, Bae Doo Na, global chic charms

Source: Innolife.com

http:

Actress Bae Du-Na showed off fashion sense and chic.
Bae Du-Na attended ‘Louis Vuitton 2016 Cruise Collection Show’ held at The Bob and Dolores Hope Estate on May 6th. 
Bae Du-Na was officially invited by Nicolas Ghesquiere, the female clothes collection artistic director, and she shined the collection show as Korean muse after 2015 F/W fashion show.
Bae Du-Na wore 2015 F/W collection’s black and white look, and she drew attention with her chic charms. At this day’s event, there were world’s popular actors and celebrities.
Bae Du-Na is working actively as Korean muse of Louis Vuitton. [Photo=Louis Vuitton]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

June 21, 2015

Bae Doona Is Utterly Charismatic in Latest Photoshoot with Elle Korea

Soompi

bae-doona-elle-korea-02.jpg

Fashion magazine Elle Korea has released pictures from its photo shoot with actress Bae Doona.

Done with collaboration with Adidas by Stella McCartney, the photoshoot shows the actress wearing sportswear from the special collection. Additional to this photo shoot, Bae Doona also met with the designer Stella McCartney herself, when the designer visited Korea to promote the collaboration line with Adidas.

Bae Doona has most recently starred in the Netflix original series “Sense8,” created by the Wachowskis, with whom she has previously worked with for movies like “Cloud Atlas” and “Jupiter Ascending.”

The full fashion spread and the interview with Bae Doona can be found in the July issue of Elle Korea.

bae-doona-elle-korea-01.jpg

Source: (1) (2)

• Like 2

June 23, 2015

S. Korean actress Bae Doo-na
PYH2015062308400034400_P2.jpg

South Korean actress Bae Doo-na greets reporters during a showcase of the 5th Olleh International Smartphone Film Festival in Seoul on June 23, 2015. (Yonhap) (END)

• Like 1

June 25, 2015

Bring out Your GIGAntic Imagination: 5th Olleh International Smartphone Film Festival Showcase
Festival Newly Launches Feature Section
Actress BAE Doo-na joins Jury

by Sonia KIL / KOBIZ

WjtGyKJDiKPsMGxtwFBu.png

Esteemed Korean filmmaker PARK Chan-wook, PARK Chan-kyong ’s Berlin-winning short film Night Fishing was shot on a smartphone in 2011, three years after Spike Lee predicted that "new movies will be made with devices like cell phones within five years."

Indeed, smartphones have long become an integral part of life. Not only in terms of technology and finance, the impact of smartphone has been noticeable in terms of culture and filmmaking.

It is almost natural that one of world’s biggest smartphone film festivals has been held for four years in Korea, where information technology and mobile phone uptake are more rapidly growing in the majority of other parts of the world.

The 5th Olleh International Smartphone Film Festival showcase was held in a CGV theater in Seoul on June 23. Launched in 2011, the fest has reasonably expanded over the past five years.

In addition to 10-minute films and mini films within the 1-minute running time, the festival adds a new competition category for feature films this year.

“A fair number of smartphone-shot films get theatrical releases overseas, many of them being feature length films. We wanted to provide opportunities to those who might have such aims,” said CHIN Won-suk, the festival’s deputy chairman.

Deputy chairman YOON Jong-seok added “We are waiting for films that are alive, that are different from preceding films. We are looking forward to watching films that makes the best out of the strength of smartphones.”

In addition to the feature film competition, the festival also launches a new project that aims to support smartphone film productions. Scenarios submitted to the festival committee will be examined and the best one will receive a production budget of 10 million KRW.

Renowned actress BAE Doo-na took over the jury president job from director RYOO Seung-wan this year. BAE is the first non-director jury president of the festival. At the showcase, BAE said “I take photos and video clips on my smartphone. I am proud to take part in an event that frees filmmakers of capital and budget.”

“We still aim to style the festival as an ‘authority-free festival,” said festival director LEE Joon-ik at the showcase. “A Smartphone, which is also a filmmaking equipment, is a means to break down the social power structure, because everyone has smartphones these days, and anyone can make films on it”

The 5th Olleh International Smartphone Film Festival’s award ceremony will be held on September 9. Submissions are available from July 1 through August 17.

• Like 1

Hi!

I watched Sense8 the last weekend. I loved to see her there. 

I don't know if you have any opinion of the character she is depicting there. But I think it's good.

Maybe I missed some korean gestures (I don't know how to explain it… but maybe it's just that many aspects of their language are not able to be communicated since it's mostly in English. But I'm not really sure… I think that taking into account that this is a very ambitious TV Show it won't be perfect… and it's like watching a Comic… at least how this fiction is outlined… and even the character's skills…) 

I just want to know more about her character in the future. :) 

• Like 1

June 21, 2015

The 20 Greatest South Korean Actors Working Today

BY HANAJUN CHUNG Taste of Cinema

In addition to writing a piece on the best, individual performances, this piece is meant to celebrate the best actors currently working in South Korean cinema. For this list, I chose 20 individuals—a mix of male and female. Most of these people had their start in television and some also work concurrently in both mediums. Don’t expect much young, hot talent from dramas since this is mostly going to feature actors from their work in film.

Furthermore, to provide a challenge, I ranked them based on their film roles (and little T.V.) I’ve seen and read regarding. You can possibly guess a few of the top spots, but I can guarantee that I didn’t include a name or two on the list that matches the sensibility of many readers. 

20. Gianna Jun (October 30, 1981)

Notable roles: “My Sassy Girl,” “Daisy,” “The Thieves”

19. Ryu Seung-beom (August 9, 1980)

Notable roles: “Crying Fist,” “The Berlin File,” “The Unjust,” “Bloody Ties,” “No Mercy”

18. Kim Hye-su (September 5, 1970)

Notable roles: “Tazza: The High Rollers,” “The Hypnotized,” “Kick the Moon,” “The Thieves”

17. Kim Yun-seok (January 21, 1968)

Notable roles: “The Chaser,” “The Thieves,” “Hwayi: The Monster Boy,” “The Yellow Sea”

16. Kim Yunjin (November 7, 1973)

Notable roles: “Ode to My Father,” “Harmony,” “Shiri,” “Seven Days,” “Heartbeat”

15. Ha Jung-woo (March 11, 1979 )

Notable roles: “The Yellow Sea,” “The Terror Live,” “The Berlin File,” “Nameless Gangster”

14. Han Hyo-joo (February 22, 1987)

Notable roles: “Always,” “Masquerade,” “Cold Eyes”

13. Lee Byung-hun (July 12, 1970)

Notable roles: “A Bittersweet Life,” “J.S.A.: Joint Security Area,” “I Saw the Devil”

12. Jeong Jae-yeong (November 21, 1971)

Notable roles: “Broken,” “Confession of Murder,” “Castaway on the Moon,” “Silmido”

11. Yoon Yeo-jeong (June 19, 1947)

Notable roles: “The Taste of Money,” “The Housemaid,” “Hahaha,” “Actresses”

10. Doona Bae (October 11, 1979)

Notable roles: “A Girl at My Door,” “Cloud Atlas,” “The Host,” “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance”

9. Moon So-ri (July 2, 1974)

Notable roles: “Peppermint Candy,” “Oasis,” “A Good Lawyer’s Wife,” “The President’s Barber”

8. Hwang Jeong-min (September 1, 1970)

Notable roles: “Ode to My Father,” “A Man Who Was Superman,” “New World,” “The Unjust”

7. Yun Jeong-hie (July 30, 1944)

Notable roles: “Poetry,” “Taebaek Mountain,” “Splendid Outing,” “Night Journey”

6. Kim Hye-ja (September 15, 1941)

Notable roles: “Mother,” “Lifetime in the Country”/“Country Diaries” (T.V.)

5. Sol Kyung-gu (May 1, 1968)

Notable roles: “Peppermint Candy,” “Public Enemy” series, “Cold Eyes,” “Silmido,” “Oasis”

4. Jeon Do-yeon (February 11, 1973)

Notable roles: “Secret Sunshine,” “Way Back Home,” “The Housemaid,” “Untold Scandal”

3. Song Kang-ho (January 17, 1967)

Notable roles: “The Host,” “J.S.A.: Joint Security Area,” “The Attorney,” “No. 3”

2. Ahn Sung-kee (January 1, 1952)

Notable roles: “Silmido,” “Chilsu and Mansu,” “Unbowed,” “White Badge”

1. Choi Min-sik (April 27, 1962)

Notable roles: “Oldboy,” “Failan,” “I Saw the Devil,” “Crying Fist,” “Shiri”

• 1 month later...

August 19, 2015

The Korean actress Bae Doo Na, friend of Japanese soccer player Nakata? ‘Unexpected friendship’

Source: Innolife.com

15330_1.jpg

The picture of actress Bae Doo-Na and the legend of Japanese soccer Nakata Hidetoshi revealed..

The designer of Louis Vuitton, Nicolas Ghesquier posted a picture to the Instagram on 17th, with the mention, “Having a lunch with my team, at Formentera.”

It is not first time to see the picture of Bae Doo-Na and Nakata. Two people met each other for many times at Louis Vuitton fashion show. At the second cruise collection fashion show at Palm Springs in California, US, on May, they attended together as the representative of Asia. 

Meanwhile, Bae Doo-Na appeared at US drama ‘Sense 8’, following the movie ‘Jupitor Ascending’(2015). [Photo=Nicolas Ghesquier Instagram]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

September 19, 2015

Number Of Asian And Korean Actors In Hollywood Increasing?

Source: Franchise Herald

Asian, more particularly, Korean Actors have been gracing Hollywood with their presence recently and it seems to be a notable factor in increasing revenue for films and TV productions.

Deadline noted that the industry is experiencing a "revolution" in the number of roles available for Asian actors.

The article noted that "perhaps it is the concerted effort on the part of the networks and film studios, the writers who are growing up with a different perspective, and the influx of international money into the marketplace" that contributed to this change in Hollywood.
"What's happening now is the direct result of years of advocacy work by our organization and other multi-ethnic coalitions in approaching television networks and advocating for change," Dan Mayeda, co-chair of the Asian Pacific American Media Coalition told the site.

Actors like Will Yun Lee ("San Andreas"), Ki Hong Lee ("The Maze Runner"), Daniel Dae Kim ("Spider-Man 2"), Rain ("Ninja Assasin"), Doona Bae ("Cloud Atlas"), Daniel Henney ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine"), Byunghun Lee ("G.I. Joe:Retaliation) and Sung Kang were able to make a name for themselves in the films they were in.

Warner Brothers is even investing in a Korean film helmed by a Korean director, attesting to the more global market of the film industry nowadays.

September 21, 2015

Actress films Web drama with brother for Busan film festival

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Sept. 21 (Yonhap) -- Actress Bae Doona has teamed up with her elder brother, who is a commercial director, to make a Web-based film dedicated to the 20th anniversary of the Busan International Film Festival, the festival said Monday.

"Red Carpet Dream" is a biographical film about Bae, who dreamed of becoming an actress when she was a little girl and grew up to be one of the most renowned actresses in the country.

Directed by her elder brother, Bae Doo-han, and sponsored by the major cosmetics brand MAC, the 90-minute Web film will hit the local cable TV channel CGV and the Facebook for two weeks starting Monday.

It will also be shown at various places during the 20th edition of the film festival slated for Oct. 1-10 in the southern port city of Busan.

The 35-year-old actress made her Hollywood debut in 2012 with "Cloud Atlas," co-directed by the Wachowski siblings, best known for "The Matrix" series, and their close friend, German director Tom Tykwer. Most recently, she appeared in the Wachowski siblings' "Jupiter Ascending," which opened in South Korea early this year.

AEN20150921004300315_01_i.jpg

Actress Bae Doona (Courtesy of Busan International Film Festival's official sponsor, Mac Cosmetics) (Yonhap) Actress Bae Doona (Courtesy of Busan International Film Festival's official sponsor, Mac Cosmetics) (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

September 24, 2015

Bae Doo-na Collaborates with Brother to Make Biographic Film

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Actress Bae Doo-na made a web-based film in collaboration with her brother who is a commercial director.

Dedicated to the annual Busan International Film Festival which marks its 20th anniversary this year, the film called "Red Carpet Dream"  unveiled on a Facebook site and is running on a cable channel until the opening of the film fest in Busan which starts Oct. 1.

2015092400604_0.jpg

The biographical film tells about Bae, who dreamed of becoming an actress when she was young, and her 20-year acting career.

September 30, 2015

Showbox inks deal with Hollywood studios

SEOUL, Sept. 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's leading movie distributor, Showbox/Media Inc., has signed a five-year deal to produce up to six films with two U.S. film companies, the local company said Wednesday.

Showbox, under the partnership deal signed Monday, will produce up to six Korean-language feature films in the thriller and horror genres with Blumhouse Productions, a Hollywood studio, while the films will be fully financed by Ivanhoe Pictures, a Hollywood production and financing company.

Showbox will also be in charge of marketing and distribution of the co-produced films in South Korea, according to the deal unveiled by the company.

Some of the films can later be remade into English-language versions through discussions among the partners, it said.

"We'll put great energy into recruiting new writers and directors with unique ideas in Korea," Showbox CEO You Jeong-hun said in a press release. "We hope it will serve as an opportunity to invigorate Korea's weak thriller and horror movie market and open the way for promising Korean film producers, writers and directors to advance into Hollywood."

Showbox is the studio behind such Korean box-office smashes as "Taegukgi," "The Host," "The Thieves" and, most recently, "The Throne."

Blumhouse specializes in micro-budgeted genre movies like "Paranormal Activity" and "The Purge" franchises. Ivanhoe Pictures is a production/financing company focused on the North American and Asian markets and recently has co-produced and co-financed a slate of Asian films with Fox International Productions.

In March, Showbox signed an exclusive partnership deal with China's Huayi Brothers to co-produce at least six films over three years.

sshim@yna.co.kr

• 2 weeks later...

October 14, 2015

Bae Doona and Ha Jeong-woo to co-star as a married couple in movie 'Tunnel'

Source: OSEN via Hancinema.net

photo643676.jpg

According to sources from film industry circles on October 14th, Bae Doona has recently confirmed to appear in director Kim Seong-hoon's new film, "Tunnel".

An insider from Bae Doona's agency also said, "She has confirmed to appear in "Tunnel" and is preparing for it".

"Tunnel" is based on the novel with the same time by author So Jae-won. It is about a man, who is trapped in a tunnel and tries to get out of it. Ha Jeong-woo will play the protagonist, who is trapped in a tunnel due to careless construction.

Kim Seong-hoon's previous film, "A Hard Day" was watched by 3.44 million viewers last year. "Tunnel" is his new film after the success. Showbox Mediaplex had decided to be in charge of investment and distribution of this new film earlier.

Bae Doona plays Ha Jeong-woo's wife in the movie. Oh Dal-soo on the synergy they will bring up.

Bae Doona is making a comeback to the Korean screen in one year and half since "A Girl at My Door", May 2014. She starred in 'Jupiter Ascending' by directors the Wachowskis early this year. She also starred in the American drama, Sense8.

"Tunnel" is slated to be released in the first half of next year and the filming begins within this month.

October 15, 2015

Actress Bae Doo-na Cast As Ha Jung-woo's Wife In New Movie

Source: KBS Global

n_20151015e_01.jpg

Actress Bae Doo-na will be teaming up with Ha Jung-woo to play his wife for a new upcoming movie "Tunnel".

According to the film's production company, the director of the movie himself, Kim Sung-hoon, and the production crew strongly recommended Bae for the role. Expectations are said to be high to see the chemistry between Bae and Ha. 

"Tunnel" will be about a man named Lee Jung-soo (played by Ha Jung-woo) who is a car salesman that gets trapped in a destroyed tunnel and fights for his life. 

• 1 month later...

November 24, 2015

Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doo-na to star in ‘Tunnel’

Prominent actors Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doona and Oh Dal-su will star in a new flick “Tunnel,” the production company said on Tuesday. 

The new movie is directed by Kim Sung-hoon, who is behind 2014 hit “A Hard Day.”

From left: Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doona and Oh Dal-su (OSEN)

“Tunnel” centers around a man Lee Jung-soo, played by Ha (“Kundo,” “The Terror Live”), a car salesman who gets trapped in a collapsed tunnel and struggles to survive. Bae (“Cloud Atlas,” “A Girl at My Door”) plays Jung-soo’s wife Se-hyun, who waits in hope and fear for her husband to be rescued safely. 

Oh (“Ode to My Father,” “Assassination”) plays Dae-kyung, a rescuer who helps Jung-soo and communicates with him to not give up. 

The film “Tunnel,” which began filming in November, will open in theaters next year.

By Ahn Sung-mi (sahn@heraldcorp.com) 

November 23, 2015

Ha Jung Woo, Bae Doo Na & Oh Dal Soo confirmed for new film 'Tunnel'

Source: STARN News

Ha Jung Woo, Bae Doo Na, and Oh Dal Soo have been confirmed for new movie 'Tunnel.'

Recently, Ha Jung Woo, Bae Doo Na, and Oh Dal Soo were confirmed for director Kim Sung Hoon's new film, 'Tunnel.'

'Tunnel' is going to be a human drama film that evolves around a man who gets stuck in a collapsed tunnel.

Ha Jung Woo, who made consecutive hits with 'Assassination,' 'Kundo: Age of the Rampant,' 'The Terror Live,' and 'Berlin,' is playing in 'Tunnel' as an automobile salesman named Lee Jung Soo, the unfortunate man who gets stuck in a collapsed tunnel. He runs into the misfortune while heading back home for his lovely daughter's birthday party, and his cellphone is the only hope that he has.

Bae Doo Na, who became an international star through 'Cloud Atlas,' 'Korea,' and 'The Host,' is playing in ‘Tunnel’ as Lee Jung Soo's wife, Se Hyun. Se Hyun never leaves the entrance of the collapsed tunnel, waiting for her husband to get rescued.

Oh Dal Soo, who also played in a great number of major hit films, is playing as a firefighter named Dae Kyung, who directs the rescue of Lee Jung Soo. Dae Kyung is the only person who communicates with Lee Jung Soo after the accident, and he does his best to give as much hope as possible to Jung Soo. It is going to be the second time for Oh Dal Soo to work with Ha Jung Woo, and a great number of movie fans are showing huge anticipation for their new collaboration.

Director Kim Sung Hoon is also one of the more well known film directors of Korea who had directed a great number of major hit, and he is going to captivate many movie fans once again with 'Tunnel.'

Meanwhile, Ha Jung Woo, Bae Doo Na, and Oh Dal Soo had their first shoot for 'Tunnel' on November 10th.

Ha Jung Woo, Bae Doo Na & Oh Dal Soo confirmed for new film 'Tunnel'

/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com