Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

I wonder what kind of book it that considered as?

Photography book? Travel book? hehe....

According to what she said on her cyworld, it's much something like a photography book, but you're maybe right, all these texts make me think about a travel diary or something like that.

bae doo na was absolutely amazing in "monster"

Anyway, she is always absolutly amazing - and even more. :P

We were talking about her book London, here it is, brand new & so beautiful !!! :w00t::w00t:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6875/doonainlondonpg5.jpg

OMG, the book looks lovely!

Here are the same pics ay_link posted, only bigger:

cover.jpg

dunab.jpg

dunac.jpg

dunaa.jpg

24130842375_60800030.jpg

More news / news / news / news / news / news / news / news / news

I'm sure they'll inform the public when it gets released and how to purchase it. ;) Man, I'd love to get my hands on a copy. Most stars release photo books that were shot in exotic locations, but what sets hers apart is that she is both subject AND photographer. ^__^ That makes it pretty special.

Heya Epikt! Hope you had a nice vacation.

Again, I'm amazed at your knowledge of all things Doona, even Tomak's various incarnations. I'm crossing my fingers your search for it bears fruit.

Thanks for the Doona-stuffing-her-face (^_^) pics! So cute.

You have no idea how sad I was to learn that one of the dramas I was most anticipating this year won't be getting shown on network TV. ): I was reallyreally hoping to dl "Someday" and watch while it was airing in Korea (as opposed to waiting for the DVD), esp since WITH S2 (tireless, selfless Soompi subbing team) listed it as one of their potential projects. It did sound weird from the get-go (which I also liked ^__^), so I agree with you that the producers were probably afraid it would have difficulty finding an audience. But with some of the crap they keep showing, this was an alternative they could've gambled on, something that had potential to be a cult hit. Ohwell, the deal's done. I did read that there's a big chance that it'll get subbed and released on DVD, so I guess that's something.

Yes, I prefer Linda3 to Mr Vengeance (I confess that I'm not really into Park Chan-Wook cinema - just Lady Vengeance that is wonderful)and Barking dogs never bite. It may seams curious, thess two movies are better seen "objectively".

Uh... *cough* Park ChanWook fan here *cough* :P Though I haven't seen "The Moon is the Sun's Dream" and "Trio", and wasn't overly impressed by "Three, Extremes: Cut", imo "JSA" and the Vengeance trilogy are great contributions to world cinema. Maybe it's wiser for me to wait for and watch his future movies to see his evolution as a filmmaker before making this declaration...but to hell with that: I think he's a genius, a master on top of his game. His films have disturbed me and moved me and made me think (almost against my will), and his proficiency in manipulating and piecing together all the elements of the medium to maximum effect--visuals, writing, acting, music, production design, everything--is nothing short of awesome.

A friend recently asked me what was my favorite of the trilogy...and I couldn't choose. I just couldn't. Despite being essentially about revenge, they're very different in style and treatment...and I love them all. Equally? Can't say. It's funny you mentioned that you like "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" best out of the 3. If you judge my favorite based on the number of times I've seen it, SfLV would win too (I've watched it thrice, the other 2, once). I thought it was the most accessible of the 3--maybe because I'm female; but another factor why I find it "easier" to watch is that its villain is irredeemably evil that I enjoyed seeing him butchered and cheered while it was happening (but of course that guilty pleasure gets subverted later). As for "Oldboy": technically, I've never seen anything quite like it, which is why I keep recommending it to fellow film geeks. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing it more than once, whereas I'm afraid to watch "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" again (even though Doona's in it, as well as Song KangHo and Shin HaKyun <2 actors I admire A LOT>). I look at "Oldboy" as something approaching a Greek tragedy, painted on a bigger canvas and populated by larger-than-life characters; while SfMV, though sharing the same relentless bleakness and anti-catharsis, is about real people, good people--and things just fall apart. I think that's worse, it hits closer to home. All 3 movies stayed with me for a long time, but SfMV depressed me way more than the other 2 did. I might change my mind someday, but right now, I don't want to go through SfMV ever again. What's the bottomline then, what do I like best? I STILL CAN'T CHOOSE. :lol:

I'm so excited to see PCW's "I'm a Cyborg But That's Okay" and watch with glee as he turns the romcom genre on its head. I also hope Doona works with him again.

Speaking of working with star directors twice...

I was expecting a lot maybe too much, I confess ^^

But rest assured, it's not a bad movie. But I think the first half hour is a mess. And I don't like the monster, fun but insipid, and to much showed. After, it goes better, just the Bong Joon-Ho I like, really surprising, with a lot of humor and irony. And the cast is really perfect.

It's a very entertaining movie (in the positive meaning: fun, entertaining and inventive but not stupid or "déjà vu") and I'm a little bored by all the reviewers insisting on the "political message" (especially in France ; if in a movie there's just one lonely little thing that can be seen as anti-American and be sure that they write 15 page on it, it's pathetic) which is not really convincing (if it exist). But it's always the same, they can't admit that a movie can be good only because it's entertaining not in a dumb way and be nothing but cinematographic pleasure, and they prefer to write about what the film supposedly talk about, and not write about the movie :(

(sorry, I bolt)

In a word, despite all my reserves, go see it the day it releases ^^

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your thoughts on "The Host"! I could feel myself being swept along with the hype, so I'm glad I read your take in time. I will lower my expectations accordingly, and hopefully enjoy it more. :D I laughed a bit when you railed on reviewers over-analyzing and focusing too much on the anti-American slant, heh. It sucks that a movie has to be perceived as being about "something important" or tackling "deep issues" before it gets respect. Is "Singing in the Rain" or "Spider-Man 2" or "Arahan" or "Guns & Talks" critics-approved-profound? I enjoyed myself immensely watching them, so whatevuh. :rolleyes: Back to "The Host": I always thought it was going to be a blockbuster-type, monster genre film, albeit extremely well-acted and with that unique Bong JoonHo touch (I'm glad to hear from you that he hasn't lost that irony and weird sense of humor). Even BJH himself has said in his interviews that he just wanted to do something fun. That's what I want to have going into it: F-U-N. And if it does slip in issues about the environment and global paranoia while I'm screaming and laughing my head off, then so much the better. :P Can't wait!

It's a film I adore for lot of not really rational reasons. But I think that even "normal people" can appreciate it. Its best quality is its modesty and its naturalness, what some people have mix up with a lack of stakes - it's not false, but it is precisely why it's so natural (I hate the movies in which they don't know how to play at the beginning and at the end they have a big big show full of prestige).

Haha, I hate those too! Suddenly they're expert musicians and everyone's happy and it gets all heavy-handed at the end with moral lessons about friendship and such. Meh.

"Doona Doona Doona" indeed! :lol: Had a feeling you would see it that way, hee.

I love what you wrote about Linda3. It's wonderful how art can be such a personal and communal experience; the artist creates this thing and when he/she/they lets it out into the world, it ceases becoming his/her/their creation alone. Whoever reads the book or looks at the painting or watches the movie or listens to the song...they bring the sum total of their life experiences into it, and it becomes theirs too. Who can explain why we love something, why this particular one and not another? ^__^ But you did pretty well in explaining why in this case, and I get it. I'm ready to be charmed by a seemingly unambitious movie that has its own truth and moves at its own pace, unhurried and relaxed. (even if I have to wait for a subbed Korean-release DVD a bit longer)

Whoah..Bae DooNa and just a white shirt..how sexy is that!..

Saw 'Save My Hubby' this morning.. so hilarious..one of those feel-good movie of hers.

Yep, she rocks the morning-after look. *winkwink* Me too, I was enjoying myself so much watching "Saving My Hubby" that I was disappointed to see it end. I thought it was much too short, I wanted more! It's one underrated little gem--I mean, everyone knows about "Take Care of My Cat" and "Barking Dogs Never Bite", but "Saving My Hubby"'s a nice little film too. Plus it's proof that Doona can carry a film on her back single-handedly (literally! heh). It's so fun and funny that it's a mystery to me why it wasn't at least a minor hit. Sure, it didn't have pretty faces and big stars and spectacle, but it's miles away better than box-office comedy hits like "Marrying the Mafia" and "My Boss, My Teacher". Epikt mentioned in "The Host" thread that it doesn't matter whether Doona's movies make money, as long as she makes good ones. I agree wholeheartedly. Good ratings or box-office do not always equate to quality. I just look at them as a happy bonus. The more hits Doona has, the more options become available for her to choose from. I've said this before: I like that Doona has always been comfortable with being an actress rather than a star. As long as she gets to hone her craft as the former and is content with that, it's absolutely okay if she never becomes the latter. But as a fan, I can't help it if I want her to be both. ^__^ They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Look at Jeon DoYeon: she's a box office draw, and at the same time has never compromised in her art. I suppose it's a very delicate balance, but I think Doona's up to it. Anyway, it's a moot point now that "The Host" is raking in some impressive won. $_$ Too bad about the backlash; I read in Koreanfilm.org that the crew was supposed to get a Hawaii vacation as a bonus but it got cancelled because they're avoiding being seen as "too celebratory" at the expense of the little films. Come on, Cheongeorahm! Screw the spoilsports. Give the cast and crew their due. They deserve it.

Oh, one last thing about "Saving My Hubby": It definitely leaves you with a smile on your face. :)

melusine, I think you're my new best friend! :wub: OMG, I love reading your posts about the movies, you're so well informed and eloquent!

So many great sub-topics here, but first Bae DooNa. I think the first movie I saw her in was probably Barking Dogs Never Bite, followed by Take Care of My Cat and Saving My Hubby, all great films. I also can't understand why Saving… doesn't get more mentions online, it's absolutely charming as well as hilarious. I think this means I need to go watch it again, soon!

Park ChanWook: do we have a thread for directors on Soompi? Maybe someone *cough*melusine*cough* should start one! Saw Old Boy quite a while ago, amazing film, and just finished SfMV earlier this week. The director is a genius, but I'm weak-stomached when it comes to violence which makes me embark on any viewing of his work with major caution (and something to hide under)! I get what you're saying about Old Boy being akin to a greek tragedy—it certainly has all the elements—but I think SfMV touched me more, for the very reasons you mentioned above. It's a story of normal people, good people, and just how wrong things can go. It's the kind of tale that's horrifying because you know that somehow, it might just happen to you. It also makes you question what "evil" is.

I'm still afraid to watch Lady V, but maybe I'll rent it one of these days!

Well, blah-blah, blah-blah, blah-blah, off topic!

The Host: still can't wait to see it and DooNa's archery looks very cool! Nice weaponry! My fever to see this movie won't be cooled by any bad reviews, I'm sure it will be great. I get the feeling that the so-called "political message" is not as huge, blatant or significant as a lot of reviewers make it out to be. Check out Ross' review over at lovehkfilm.com http://www.lovehkfilm.com/panasia/host.htm While there are some jabs at the US, apparently the Korean government doesn't come out smelling like roses, either "…Bong Joon-Ho goes out of his way to tweak the political and cultural climate, serving up minor-to-major barbs on the media, the Korean government, student counterculture, recent Asian health crises, and -- most obvious of all -- the good 'ol United States of America." I sense there are a lot of anti-American who just want to throw their darts at the most obvious target in their line of site! So, melusine, don't let the supposed "political message" of the film detract you from your enjoyment! By all means, scream and laugh your head off! I know I plan to!

Guest hyojin

But she did not say when it will be released , sooo sad :tears:

(and were we can buy it, that's the question)

Epikt =^..^=

(happy)

Wow.. her book looks really nice ^^

I wonder what kind of book it that considered as?

Photography book? Travel book? hehe....

Looks like she's really into photography also...^^

Her book is consider like a photo essay. She started to get involved in photography 2 years ago. Also she has over 20 cameras. Her daily use of equipments are Nikon FM3A, Leica M6TTL, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Contax G6 and etc. Recently her drama "Someday" team bought her a gift which was a Leica M3. Recently she carried it around during a TV interview.

m3ms9.jpg

Plus if you want to buy her photo essay book. You can order here. The book is written in Korean.

Cost will be $22.13 + S&H (wherever you live)

Doona's London Play

Coucou ! :P

Heya Epikt! Hope you had a nice vacation.

Huhu, I hardly been back at home that I went on an improvised trip in Ireland... :phew:

(do you know that in Irish "doon" means "fortress" ? So there're a lot of place as "Doonaha", "Dun na castle",...)

(no, I'm definitely not a maniac) :blush:

Thanks you so much for the pictures of Doona practicing her bow, I love them. :wub:

I've said this before: I like that Doona has always been comfortable with being an actress rather than a star. As long as she gets to hone her craft as the former and is content with that, it's absolutely okay if she never becomes the latter. [...] I suppose it's a very delicate balance, but I think Doona's up to it.

I think that with the huge success of The Host she is at the turn of her carrier (or not) (I hope that "not", if turn means being a big star just as all these other insignificant korean actresses - there are so few real actresses in Korea to lose any one of them - and even more the best of them), I mean, the moment that she will have choices to make...

(I cross my fingers and my tentacles :unsure: )

Oh, one last thing about "Saving My Hubby": It definitely leaves you with a smile on your face. :)

Yes, Saving my hubby is not really a great movie, but it is fun, entertaining and full of Doo-Na. It sure is as good as some other korean comedies that broke the box-office (sometimes better).

Why nobody talks about it ? I don't know, maybe because it's not a big movie, there was not a lot a advertising and press. It hasn't been released in western countries too, and I don't know if t was diffused a lot in festivals, which was the case for Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Barking dogs never bite and Take care of my cat (about the last one, surprising that you talk about it like a well known movie, because in France only few people knows it - it hasn't been released on DVD, maybe that's why - everybody's talking of SFMV).

Park ChanWook: do we have a thread for directors on Soompi? Maybe someone *cough*melusine*cough* should start one!

Great idea !

Is it already done ? (otherwise, I can do it... :phew: if I have time :phew: maybe)

Hyojin > Thanks a lot !

I ordered the book, the time the post does its job and I'll tell you what it's looking ! :w00t:

Ailin > Thank for the interview.

:( but there was a problem, I didn't succeed to download it :tears:

I'll try tomorrow, but if the problem is still there, is anyone can share it with me ? :sweatingbullets:

Et hop hop !

Some more pics from Moogna! :w00t::w00t:

20060829moogna1md4.jpg

20060829moogna2uc8.jpg

20060829moogna3zl7.jpg

20060829moogna4db5.jpg

20060829moogna5vh7.jpg

Yes, Saving my hubby is not really a great movie, but it is fun, entertaining and full of Doo-Na. It sure is as good as some other korean comedies that broke the box-office (sometimes better).

Why nobody talks about it ? I don't know, maybe because it's not a big movie, there was not a lot a advertising and press. It hasn't been released in western countries too, and I don't know if t was diffused a lot in festivals, which was the case for Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Barking dogs never bite and Take care of my cat (about the last one, surprising that you talk about it like a well known movie, because in France only few people knows it - it hasn't been released on DVD, maybe that's why - everybody's talking of SFMV).

"Saving My Hubby" is very entertaining, but it's not really the sort of movie that would make the rounds of Western film festivals. The organizers for film fests gravitate more towards "art" films rather than commercial/popular movies. However, since "The Host" kind of fits into both categories it will probably get a lot of festival invitations!

RE: "Take Care of My Cat", it played in an art house theater in Chicago a few years ago, so it may be better known in the US b/c it got a limited release here.

"Saving My Hubby" is very entertaining, but it's not really the sort of movie that would make the rounds of Western film festivals.

Yup, you're completly right.

She recently adds a lot of photo on her website (http://www.doona.net/), here are my favorite :

20060827site20lo0.jpg

20060827site17ps9.jpg

20060827site12ua3.jpg

20060827site01zy5.jpg

20060827site08or9.jpg

(I love this one :wub: )

By the way, I am in a happy mood today, so here is a present for you B)

>>> a video of Bae Doona performing Owaranai uto (from the DVD of Linda Linda Linda)

If you want to sing with her, here are the lyrics (the song is here a little cut) :

(for a translation... heee, it means something like "let's sing an eternal song for this f***ing world... lalala")

"Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Kusotare no sekai no tame

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Subete no kuzodomo no tame ni

Yononaka ni tsumetaku sarete, Hitosribochi ni naita yoru

Moudameda to Omoukoto wa, Nando demo atsuta

Hontou no shiyunnkan wa itsumo, Shinuhodo kowai monodakara

Nigedashitakunatsuta koto wa, Imamade nanndo demo atsu ta

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Boku ya Kimi ya karera no tame

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Ashitani wa Waraeruyou ni

Nareai wa suki jya nai kara, Gokaisaretemo shyoganai

Soredemo bokuha kimino koto wo, Itsuda te Omoidasudaro

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Hitoribochi de naitayoru

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Kichigaiatsukai sareta hibi

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Kusotare no sekai no tame

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Subete no kuzodomo no tame ni

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Boku ya Kimi ya karera no tame

Owaranai uta wo utao oh, Ashitani wa Waraeruyou ni"

doonachante2or9.jpgdoonachante3nv0.jpg

Guest t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

Does anyone know where can I download her movie Linda Linda Linda???? I think this movie looks good :rolleyes: In megaupload, yousendit or sendspace is OK but not clubbox, Thanks in advance ;) I like her movie Spring Bears Love with Kim Nam Jin 봄날의 곰을 좋아하세요? :phew:

jdhOMGsarangheyo.jpg

I wondered when you'll show yourself on this tread :P

About Linda3, there are clubox DL (CD1 and CD2), but you don't like it :phew: With megaupload or other direct-download space, I really don't know, I think you'd better to use the donkey :

>>> CD1

>>> CD2

You also can wait for the korean DVD B)

(with sub, glop glop)