Bae Doo Na 배두나 - Upcoming Drama 2021: The Sea of Silence

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

April 20, 2015 Korean Actors Who Snagged Big Roles in Big Hollywood Releases By Therese Agcopra | KpopStarz (related excerpt only) The Korean invasion has made it to Hollywood! Not only are K-pop act

April 20, 2015 A Global Face: Bae Doo-na Interview with the Actress of A GIRL AT MY DOOR By June Kim / KOFIC  Congratulations on winning the Best Actress Award at the Asian Film Awards (AFA). You loo

June 21, 2015 Bae Doona Is Utterly Charismatic in Latest Photoshoot with Elle Korea Soompi Fashion magazine Elle Korea has released pictures from its photo shoot with actress Bae Doona. Done with col

March 18, 2019

Actress Bae Doo-na Appears on Cover of American Vogue

By Yoo Seog-jae The Chosun Ilbo

Actress Bae Doo-na has become the first Korean to appear on the cover of U.S. fashion magazine Vogue in its 127-year history. 

She shares the cover of the April issue with film stars Scarlett Johansson of the U.S. and Deepika Padukone of India.

In its cover story "14 Countries, 14 Superstars: The Global Actors Who Know No Limits," Vogue introduces Bae by saying, "The daughter of a stage actress, Bae is a serious performer. She has worked with some of the best directors in Asia -- not just Koreans like Park Chan-wook but also Japanese directors like Hirokazu Koreeda."

It adds, "Bae has to admit that her life is 'basically what all millennials would probably dream about.'" 

The actress made her Hollywood debut with "Cloud Atlas" in 2012 and starred in the Netflix series "Sense 8" and "Kingdom."

Source: Vogue

• 1 month later...

May 8, 2019

KIM Yun-seok and BAE Doo-na Catch VIRUS

JUVENILE OFFENDER Director Returns with 1st Commercial Feature

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

KCBxaPrfGCynDSpdIbQc.jpg

Stars KIM Yun-seok and BAE Doo-na will join forces on screen for the first time in the upcoming film Virus (literal title). The project will mark the first commercial feature film of acclaimed indie filmmaker KANG Yi-kwan.

KIM will play a researcher investigating a peculiar virus that causes its hosts to experience feelings of love. BAE is on board to play a virus host under the researcher’s care.

Star of The Chaser (2008), The Thieves (2012) and many other Korean hits, KIM recently made the jump to the director’s chair with the release of his well-received directorial debut

Another Child earlier this year. BAE appeared alongside SONG Kang-ho in the period crime saga The Drug King last year and kicked off 2019 with the Joseon Era zombie series Kingdom, Netflix’s first fully backed original production in Korea. She will join the production of Virus after completing filming on the second season of Kingdom.

Director KANG debuted as a film director with the well-received Sakwa in 2008, which he followed with the equally acclaimed Juvenile Offender, which had its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2012. Virus was originally set to go into production almost five years ago, when it was named Love Is Virus and was set to KANG’s Sakwa lead LEE Sun-kyun.

Virus is expected to get underway in the second half of 2019.

• 2 months later...

July 28, 2019

13 Korean Actors And Actresses You Didn’t Know Speak English

Source: Soompi by binahearts

The only time we really see a Korean celebrity speaking English is during a random scene in a K-drama where the actor has to engage in conversation with someone who speaks English. Sometimes the pronunciation is pretty flawless, and sometimes it’s not so perfect.

Regardless of this, we’re pretty forgiving because English isn’t their first language. I mean, it’s not easy being bilingual! That’s why it’s always a pleasant surprise when you come across a random clip or video online with a Korean celebrity speaking English. It’s even more impressive when said celebrity is pretty darn fluent! Here are 13 Korean actors and actresses who you might not have known are good at English.

1. Choi Woo Shik

2. Park Min Young

3. Han Ye Seul

4. Lee Byung Hun

5. Shin Se Kyung

6. Lee Seo Jin

7. Cha In Pyo

8. Kang Sora

9. Bae Doona

Bae-Doona-7.jpg

Bae Doona never actively tried to learn English, but it came rather naturally. This actress is not only a star in South Korea, but she’s made a big splash in Hollywood with her performances in “Cloud Atlas,” “Jupiter Ascending,” and the series “Sense8.” With all the experience she’s had in Hollywood, Bae Doona was able to acquire English as her second language and became pretty darn good at it!

Here’s a clip of her interview for the movie “Cloud Atlas”:

10. Kim Ji Suk

11. Ahn Hyo Seop

12. Gong Yoo

13. Jung Ryeo Won

• 1 month later...

September 2, 2019

tvN Confirms "Secret Forest 2", Cho Seung-woo on Board, Bae Doona Considering

Via: HanCinema.net

photo1097625.jpg

The second season of "Secret Forest" is taking off.

tvN announced that "Secret Forest" is coming out with season 2, but the release time is unknown.

Writer Lee Soo-yeon-I is in charge of the second season, "Secret Forest 2", but there will be a change in PD from Ahn Gil-ho to Park Hyeon-seok. Park Hyeon-seok is known for his works such as KBS 2TV drama "Uncontrollably Fond" and "The Princess' Man".

When it comes to the cast, actor Cho Seung-woo has confirmed his participation, while Bae Doona's agency has stated that the role offer has been made, but she can only make a decision after the drama's release time has been confirmed.

"Secret Forest" is a tvN Saturday / Sunday drama that was broadcast from June to July of 2017. Throughout the show, it had been loved by viewers, continuing its steady rise in ratings and buzz. Therefore, many viewers demanded Season 2 after the end of the first season.

Sources: (1) (2)

• 1 month later...

October 4, 2019

Chief of studio behind 'Parasite' wins French cinema award

BUSAN, Oct. 4 (Yonhap) -- The chief of the company that produced the Cannes-winning "Parasite" will be given a French cinema award in recognition of her role in promoting South Korea-French collaboration in cinema, the French Embassy here said Friday.

Kwak Shin-ae, the CEO of Barunson E&A, which produced the film by director Bong Joon-ho, and Korean actress Bae Doo-na have been selected as this year's winners of the Etoile Du Cinema award, the embassy said.

The embassy award annually recognizes actors and people from the film industry for their roles in promoting cinematic ties between South Korea and France.

French Ambassador to Seoul Philippe Lefort is scheduled to present the trophy to Kwak during a "French Night" event in Busan Saturday evening on the sidelines of the ongoing Busan International Film Festival (BIFF).

Bae will separately pick up the trophy on Saturday ahead of the premiere of her new film, "#iamhere," at BIFF.

The film by French director Eric Lartigau is one of the biggest movies jointly produced by South Korea and France. Filmed in South Korea's Seoul and Incheon and southern French regions, the movie starring Bae depicts a love story between a French man and a Korean woman.

"Parasite," meanwhile, became the first Korean film to win the top prize at France's Cannes Film Festival this year. Released on June 5 in France, the film also became the most commercially successful Korean cinema title in the European country, having been seen by more than 1.5 million people.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/27/gong-yoo-and-bae-doo-na-confirmed-their-appearances-on-netflixs-the-silent-sea/

Gong Yoo and Bae Doo Na Confirmed Their Appearances on Netflix’s ‘The Silent Sea’

by krishkim 

E7260FCB-DA1E-4549-B9C2-BF0518960432.jpg
Credit: Star News

Actors Gong Yoo and Bae Doo Na will work together in Netflix original series The Silent Sea.

According to a source, Gong Yoo, Bae Doo Na, Lee Joon Hyuk, Kim Sun Young, and Heo Jung Do have recently confirmed their appearances in The Silent Sea. Produced as Netflix original series, The Silent Sea is an SF horror drama about elite soldiers going to a research base abandoned on the moon, set in the future Earth, where water and food shortages have been caused by global desertification.

The series is based on the eponymous 2014 short film directed by Choi Hang Yong, which garnered attention at the Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival the same year.

Jung Woo Sung will participate in the work as a producer, whereas director Choi Hang Yong and writer Park Eun Kyo, famous for Mother, will direct and write the upcoming series. Netflix original series Kingdom’s producer will also participate.

Gong Yoo plays Yoon Jae, a soldier and leader of the team at the space agency, and Bae Doo Na plays Ji An, an exploration agent with secrets. Lee Joon Hyun, Kim Sun Young, and Heo Jung Do will each play Soo Chan, Ga Young, and Ki Soo.

The Silent Sea will be produced in 8 episodes and will start filming in August.

Since it is an SF horror series set on the moon, most of the scenes will be filmed in the film set. It is also seen as an opportunity to introduce Korean VFX technology to the world.

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/08/26/song-kang-ho-kang-dong-won-and-bae-doo-na-to-star-in-hirokazu-koreedas-new-korean-movie/
Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doo Na to Star in Hirokazu Koreeda’s New Korean Movie

by krishkim

5805802D-297B-4C8A-B095-F0D03458CC6F.jpg
Credit: OSEN, imbc

Hirokazu Koreeda, a world-renowned Japanese director, will direct a Korean movie. And Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doo Na will star together in the master’s film.

According to the film industry, director Hirokazu Koreeda has been planning the film Broker (working title) with the Korean production team for about five years, and the project has finally taken its first step.

Broker is a movie about people who have come into relationships around the ‘Baby Box’ designed to allow people who cannot raise children to leave their babies anonymously.

Hirokazu Koreeda, who won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival with the film Shoplifters, has shown affection for Korean films for a long time.

In his new film, Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doo Na will take the lead roles. The reunion of Song Kang Ho and Kang Dong Won, who showed dazzling performances in the movie Secret Reunion, and Bae Doo Na, who has already worked with Hirokazu Koreeda before in the movie Air Doll, are drawing keen attention. The meeting between three actors representing the Korean film industry and world-renowned director Hirokazu Koreeda already raised the expectations to the fullest.

Director Hirokazu Koreeda said, “This movie will be made in different country and different language just like my previous work. What can we deliver and share beyond language and culture? What is the definition of the director? I’d like to look deeper through this production.”

Broker will be produced by Zip Cinema, which introduced films like #ALIVE, Default, The Priests, and Cold Eyes, and the investment distribution is conducted by CJ ENM. Broker, the first Korean movie directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, who has captivated movie fans around the world with powerful storytelling, delicate directing, and sharp messages, is scheduled to start its filming in 2021.

Source (1)

——

https://www.soompi.com/article/1421682wpp/song-kang-ho-kang-dong-won-and-bae-doona-to-star-in-film-led-by-director-koreeda-hirokazu
Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, And Bae Doona To Star In Film Led By Director Koreeda Hirokazu

by J. Lim | Aug 25, 2020

D758FD92-EE33-4D69-8E62-33FBA2A291EC.png

Japanese director Koreeda Hirokazu, who won the Palme d’Or at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival with “Shoplifters,” will be taking on his first-ever Korean film!

On August 26, it was confirmed that Song Kang Ho, Kang Dong Won, and Bae Doona have been cast in leading roles in the upcoming film “Broker” (literal translation), which will be led by the director. The film is said to revolve around baby boxes, which are set up for people who are no longer able to provide for their babies to anonymously give them up.

Director Koreeda Hirokazu himself explained how the film came to light, and his statement reads as follows:

Plans for “Broker” began about five years ago.

As always, it all began with the actors. I first met Song Kang Ho at the Busan International Film Festival and Kang Dong Won when he was in Tokyo for work. I have continued to stay in contact with the two actors in Tokyo, Seoul, Busan, and Cannes. At first, we simply exchanged greetings but as we continued to share conversations, it naturally led to us talking about working on a film together.

I worked with Bae Doona in 2009, and I thought to myself, ‘I hope we work together again, next time as a human character,’ and that dream has finally come true over 10 years later. And now I will be working on a film with crew members and Korean actors I greatly respect.

“Broker” is a story about baby boxes. Right now, working on the script that will move these three great actors, I am so excited. In order to share this excitement with you all, I hope to create a thrilling, heartwarming, and emotional film.

This film, like my latest film, will be one where I am apart from my home country and native language. What will I be able to express and share as we overcome barriers of language and culture? What does it mean to be a director? I hope to explore those questions through this project.

Zip Cinema will be in charge of production, and CJ ENM will be investing in and distributing the film. The director is known for his powerful storytelling, detailed direction, and sharp messages about social issues, and they are currently in the process of working on the script, with filming set to begin in 2021.

Source (1)(2)(3)
Top photo credits: Xportsnews.

——

Baby Box Korea

• Jillia changed the title to Bae Doo Na 배두나 - Upcoming Drama 2021: The Sea of Tranquility
  • 4 months later...
  • Jillia changed the title to Bae Doo Na 배두나 - Upcoming Drama 2021: The Sea of Silence