Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

Guest kaiverbarg

Thanks @melusine for posting these! And no, I wasn't there, sadly. To go by the reports in the German media, you wouldn't have thought Doona was there at all...it was basically all about Tom Hanks and Halle Berry.

• 2 weeks later...

November 16, 2012
What is Hallyu's Method for Targeting North America? 'New Contents'
Source: KpopStarz.com
The U.S. media has been hit with the 'hallyu' wave.
20121116kpopstarz.jpg
In past years, it has been a huge obstacle for Korean entertainment to make it to the U.S. However, with Psy and his global popularity, the wall has been broken down a bit. Actors Lee Byung Hun and Bae Doo Na have also been seen in U.S. movies lately as well. A researcher from the Korean Contents Hallyu Agency Research Institute points out a few things.
How big is the Hallyu in the U.S. Market?
In 2011, the hallyu exports were over 42 million dollars. With K-Pop and the Hallyu coming to the U.S., it is seen as a positive. It has also made the image of Korea much better. Now, instead of people thinking of South and North Korea being rivals, people think of K-Pop and the hallyu when they think of South Korea. Due to the positive image, many electronics, makeup and other products are selling better as well.
How to prevent the 'hallyu' from being a one-hit wonder?
In order for it to continue and expand, we need to create more content. In the case of Psy, he made it to global stardom without even thinking or planning ahead. Although planning and purposefully trying to market is good, it also a good idea to monitor the trends of the time and see when is good time to release new content.
How to expand the 'hallyu' to areas such as Latin America where K-Pop is lesser known?
The most important thing is to make a point of contact with the consumer. Collaborating with local distributers and companies is also important. Collaborating with these companies means that we both have the same thoughts and therefore it is easier to bring in the 'hallyu'.
The advantage of Korean pop culture?
The main point of K-pop is its performance, addictive performances and fashionable girls and boys. Many korean films and dramas center around the theme of love which is an international language around the world. Also, Korea's dynamic social relationships have enough appeal to western society as well.

@kaiverbarg The focus on the Hollywood stars is only to be expected, but I guess I was hoping for just a tiny bit more coverage on Doona. Anyway, I don't mean to be greedy, there's the Movieline profile and it's nice not needing subs to understand her press junket interviews -- the questions are often repetitive, but her English really has improved dramatically.

November 17, 2012 - KBS Entertainment Relay

201211172145370910_1.jpg
via Newsen

201211172204771919_50a78e11eae64.jpg
via OSEN

2012111721531316462_1.jpg
via Star News

November 18, 2012
Koreans Infiltrating Hollywood
A lot of Korean talent is infiltrating Hollywood
Source: KpopStarz.com
In addition to Lee Byung Hun ("G.I. Joe") and Bae Doo Na ("Cloud Atlas"), two directors who represent Korea, Park Chan Wook and Kim Jee Woon, will be making their Hollywood debuts.
Lee Byung Hun's first Hollywood movie was "G.I Joe" and when it became successful, he found a place in Hollywood. He was the first Korean to get his handprints at the Chinese Theater and recently, his movie "Masquerade" broke the 10,000,000 ticket sales. He will appear in two other Hollywood movies "G.I Joe 2" and "RED 2," which will be released next year. Currently he is filming "RED 2" with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich.
Bae Doo Na teamed up with the Wachowski Siblings and Tom Tykwer for "Cloud Atlas," which was adapted from a book that deals with stories that span over 500 years. 
Bae Doo Na plays Sonmi-451 and goes toe-to-toe with big actors like Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant and Jim Sturgess. Entertainment Weekly said that she left the biggest impression on audiences and the New Yorker said that she was amazing.
Park Chan Wook ("Oldboy," "Thirst") will return with "Stoker" and Kim Jee Woon ("A Bittersweet Life," "I Saw the Devil") will return with "The Last Stand."
Wentworth Miller wrote the screenplay for "Stoker," which is about a fatherless girl who suddenly has to accept the presence of a mysterious uncle in her life. Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman and Matthew Good will appear.
Park Chan Wook also is the producer for director Bong Joon Ho's project "Snowpiercer," which was originally a French sci-fi comic that won the Grand Prix at the 1986 International Comic Festival. It stars Song Kang Ho, Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt and Octavia Spencer. It is currently filming in Czechoslovakia.
Kim Jee Woon received the Vision Award from the Filmmakers Alliance and his new project "The Last Stand" is about a drug cartel and a small town Sheriff. It is getting a lot of attention for the fact that it is Arnold Schwarzenegger's comeback project. It opens next January. 

• 2 weeks later...

November 29, 2012

Posters for Bae Doo-na's Hollywood Debut Film Unveiled

ChosunIlbo

More attention is fastening on actress Bae Doo-na as a series of newly released promotional posters for her Hollywood debut film "Cloud Atlas" start doing the rounds. 

The highly anticipated blockbuster directed by Andy and Lana Wachowski and Tom Tykwer consists of six interwoven stories set in different time periods dating from the 19th century to over 200 years in the future.

2012112900872_0.jpg

Bae is shown with Hollywood stars such as Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw. The actors' overlapping faces imply that they are all interconnected. 

One of the posters shows Bae standing on a steel bridge as a flying object veers toward her, against the background of a futuristic vision of Seoul. It is scheduled to be released on Jan. 10.

Wachowskis to visit Korea with BAE Doo-na

CLOUD ATLAS Promotional Visit Date Set

by LEE Eun-sun /  Nov 22, 2012
Korean Film Biz Zone

1354860060329.jpg

The directors of the Hollywood blockbuster Cloud Atlas, Andy and Lana WACHOWSKI, are set to visit Korea with BAE Doo-na. It was BAE's first foray into Hollywood and the team will visit Korea on the December 13th. Tom TYKWER who co-directed the film as well as Jim STURGESS, who starred opposite BAE will also visit. It'll be the first time for the three Hollywood directors and actor to visit Korea.

Cloud Atlas is a Sci-fi blockbuster with a budget of over 120 million dollars and stars Tom HANKS, Susan SARANDON, Halle BERRY, Hugh GRANT, Ben WISHAW and Jim BROADBENT. Director TYKWER said of BAE that she has a light which is able to shine upon one's inner soul and that she was the most expressive actress he's ever worked with. Tom HANKS has said of BAE that she has the power to express without saying a word, adding that she is the spirit of the film.

December 4, 2012
CLOUD ATLAS Starring Bae Doo-na Makes the First Round of Oscars Short Listed for Visual Effects by Lee Eun-sun KOFIC 201212040913251123_1.jpgNate
Bae Doo-na’s first Hollywood film, Cloud Atlas, has made it to the first round of the Best Visual Effects Awards at the Oscars to be held next year. The American Motions Pictures Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) made the announcement on November 29th local time that 10 films including Cloud Atlas have been short listed for the first round of the Best Visual Effects Awards at the 85th Oscars, which will be held on February 24th next year at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles. Other short listed films include The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Sky Fall, John Carter, The Amazing Spiderman, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Life of Pi, Prometheus and The Snow White and the Huntsman. The five final candidates will be announced on the January 10th next year. Bae plays ‘Sonmi-451’ an evolved clone machine in the year 2144. The film will be released in Korea on January 10th, 2013.

Actresses came for ISABEL MARANT’s flagship store opening

by Kang Jung yeon / BNTNews
2012-12-07 12:05:07

201212062143471110_1.jpg

On December 6, Korean actresses participated in ISABEL MARANT’s flagship store opening.

On this day, ISABEL MARANT showed their main line and their second line Etoile.

Celebrities who participated in this event included: Kim Jung-eun, Girl’s Generation Sooyoung, Lee Yeon-hee, Ko So-young, Im Soo-jung, and Bae Doona.

BNTNews Slideshow

201212062058776985_50c088b02dda3.jpg
201212062127301117_1.jpg
art_1354800804.jpg
224fcaa2dd30489f761c2d9c4be446da.jpg
2012120621113511_1_rstarjun.jpg
201212062129531119_1.jpg
20121206215258843.jpg

2012120620581595249_1.jpg
2012120601000413500032211.jpg
1354794552_430476.jpg
2012120621021913999_1.jpg
201212621324dq77_T5_37133.jpg

20121206215032905.jpg
157830391-bae-doo-na-attends-the-isabel-
2012120621011607096_1.jpg
2012120620593602663_1.jpg
art_1354800830.jpg
f1e2e3fe0fe57f1ffe9e0f29126ea92e.jpg
18bd2210f9db49bdec15f473e1b7321e.jpg
157922658-south-korean-actress-bae-doo-n
201212062126521113_1.jpg
201212062127131117_1.jpg

20121206210545416.jpg
201212062119492610_1.jpg
2012120621171052_1_rstarjun.jpg
20121206_1354795895_97046600_1.jpg
20121206_1354795369_63971800_1.jpg
1354794627_430477.jpg
20121206214915747.jpg
20121206214452310.jpg
2012120601000413400032201.jpg
2012120601000413300032191.jpg
2012120601000413200032181.jpg
741221918_EkX1GqUS_IMG_9781.jpg

credit as labeled + Nate

Wachowski Reveals Reason for Casting Bae Doo-na in “Cloud Atlas”

10Asia Reporter: Lee Tae Ho Editor: Kim Nemo   

201212131239381810_1.jpg
Bae Doo-na poses during a press conference for "Cloud Atlas" at the Walkerhill Hotel in the eastern Seoul, South Korea on December 13, 2012. [NEW]

Lana Wachowski, one of the directors of “Cloud Atlas”, has revealed why she chose Korean actress Bae Doo-na as one of the female leads in the upcoming movie.

The director of “Matrix” made the remark at the movie’s press conference held at a hotel in eastern Seoul, South Korea on December 13.

201212131509121810_1.jpg

“I first saw Bae in ‘Take Care of My Cat.’ [After watching it,] I was like ‘wow, who is that girl?’ Then I ended up watching almost all her films like ‘Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance’ and ‘Host,’” she said.

“While `Cloud Atlas` characters have multiple races, gender and age in six different parts, we concluded one character should be Korean and I suggested Bae. We had a Skype session with her. Her conversation in English was very limited but her acting was perfect. She has a quality of Sonmi [bae’s one character in the movie] who has to have innocent and deer looks. Bae perfectly expressed pure emotional ability and strength of the character,” Wachowski explained.

201212131504291810_1.jpg

Adapted from British author David Mitchell’s 2004 hit novel, the movie consists of six nested stories: pivoting around a white lawyer in the 19th century, a genius composer in 1936, a female reporter in 1973, an old publisher in 2012, an evolved clone in Korea in the year of 2144 and a tribe man in the 24th century.

The 172-minute movie is expected to give multiple experiences to audience viewers with the various episodes featuring mystery, romance, thriller, comedy, SF and fantasy drama.

Written and directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski of “Matrix” series and Tom Tykwer of “Perfume,” Bae Doo-na`s Hollywood debut feature "Cloud Atlas" is slated to hit local theaters on January 10, 2013.

201212131626340510_1.jpg
Tom Tykwer (left), Lana Wachowski (center) and Andy Wachowski (right) pose during a press conference for `Cloud Atlas` at the Walkerhill Hotel in the eastern Seoul, South Korea on December 13, 2012. [NEW]

201212131249021810_1.jpg
201212131249021810_2.jpg

December 13, 2012

Jim Sturgess raves about co-star Bae Doo-na

By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

13173647.jpg

While at a press conference for their movie “Cloud Atlas” on Dec. 13 at the Sheraton Grande Walkerhill, Jim Sturgess raved about his Korean co-star Bae Doo-na.

“I didn’t know who she was at first and so I was a bit nervous about meeting her,” said Sturgess, reminiscing about the time they met for the first time in Berlin.

Despite his misgivings, Sturgess said that Bae won him over with her friendly nature. The Hollywood actor also added that language barrier was a concern for him from the get to.

“I was worried because we play lovers in the film and I wasn’t sure how we’d be able to show chemistry when we couldn’t communicate,” Sturgess said.

Despite the language barrier the actor said that they used other modes of communication to portray the love between the two characters, humor being one of them.

After watching a collection of her work, Sturgess said that Bae was a colorful actor who was able to play a diverse range of roles.

December 13, 2012

'Cloud Atlas' team touches down in Seoul

By Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily

13225226.jpg
From left: Tom Tykwer, Lana Wachowski, Bae Doo-na, Jim Sturgess and Andy Wachowski visited Seoul, one of six settings in “Cloud Atlas.” [Yonhap]

“Cloud Atlas” directors Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer and actor Jim Sturgess got an up close look at the setting for one of the film’s timelines when they arrived in Seoul to promote the Jan. 

10 opening of the much-anticipated movie in Korea. For the fourth member of the group - 33-year-old Korean actress Bae Doo-na - it was more like a homecoming. 

“It is fascinating because Seoul is one of the major places in the movie,” said Tykwer yesterday at the Sheraton Grand Walkerhill Hotel in eastern Seoul. “We are all eager to see how Koreans see the scenes in the movie.”

And Andy Wachowski greeted the gathered members of the media with, “Hello, Seoul brothers and sisters. We were going to cancel all press conferences to get out and see this beautiful city.”

Adapted from a novel of the same name by David Mitchell, “Cloud Atlas” is a global journey of lives through time and space as the main characters meet and reunite from one life to another and strive to overcome oppression. The ambitious efforts of the Wachowskis take viewers on a five-century journey, from a ship on the Pacific Ocean in the 1800s to Cambridge and Edinburgh in 1936 to a future Neo-Seoul. 

Bae’s presence has sparked interest from the Korean media and public in “Cloud Atlas,” a $100 million film with an all-star cast that includes Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant and Hugo Weaving.

“When I first got the script, I was just surprised to see the names of three directors on the cover page. I thought, ‘How could they come to know me?’?” said Bae. 

“I didn’t speak English well at the time and the script was a little complicated. But after reading the Korean version of the novel, I thought I fit the role of Sonmi-451.” 

Sonmi is a genetically engineered clone destined to spend her brief existence as a submissive restaurant server in a totalitarian society built atop the remnants of a flooded Seoul. Her life takes an ominous turn when she begins to nurture forbidden independent thoughts after meeting rebel Chang Hae-joo (Jim Sturgess). 

The directors praised the performance of the Korean actress, explaining how they decided to cast Bae.

“Her conversational English was limited, but her performance was riveting,” said Lana Wachowski. “I first saw Doo-na in her movie ‘Take Care of My Cat’ and then went on to watch almost all of her works, including ‘The Host’ and ‘Air Doll.’ From the beginning, we thought that Sonmi’s role should be taken by someone from Korea, and Andy and I suggested Doo-na.

“She projected a sense of innocence, combined with strength. It’s like there’s nothing between her and the lens.”

13225245.jpg
One of six settings in “Cloud Atlas,” Neo-Seoul (left) plays an important role, as does 33-year-old Korean actress Bae Doo-na (center, right). Provided by New World Entertainment

For the actress who starred in two Japanese movies but has never appeared in a Hollywood film, “Cloud Atlas” was indeed a different world.

“Everything was new and unfamiliar at first. I wasn’t accompanied by my manager or agency people. I was totally on my own,” she said. “It was not easy, but the directors and co-stars helped me adapt to the new system.” 

Shy by nature, Bae also tried to play a more social role off camera. 

“When acting in the movie, I tried to be more active, joining dinners and parties with the staff and other actors. I might have bothered them,” she said with laugh.

“All things were new and I was happy to be part of such an energetic team. But it doesn’t mean that the way I perform will change. To be honest, I still don’t know what kind of changes the movie will bring,”

December 13, 2012

Actress Bae Doona in love with her role in 'Cloud Atlas'

By Shim Sun-ah Yonhapnews

SEOUL, Dec. 13 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actress Bae Doona never dreamed of starring in a Western film. For the lead actress of "The Host," a 2006 sci-fi blockbuster that is one of the most-viewed movies in the country, her lack of English speaking skills made Hollywood seem like an alien world.

So, when she was offered an audition for a hefty role in "Cloud Atlas," a new film co-directed by the Wachowski siblings, best known for "The Matrix" series, and their close friend, German director Tom Tykwer, she could not believe her ears.

AEN20121213009600315_01_i.jpg

"With a quick glimpse of the script carrying the names of the three directors, I became curious how this screenplay came to me and how they knew me. It was amazing," Bae said during a press conference to promote the film in Seoul.

"And as I read the screenplay and the original book translated into Korean and came to know more about the character Sonmi, I got the thought that I can portray Sonmi better than anyone else even though I wasn't good at speaking English, far worse than I am now," the 33-year-old actress said. She later had an audition, her first in 13 years, in Chicago and the directors chose her for the cast. Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving and Jim Sturgess are among the film's cast.

"Everything was new to me, I was really happy to work with really good directors and a cast most of whom I have seen only in movies."

The film is an adaptation of David Mitchell's 2004 best-selling novel of the same name with a unique structure where multiple stories in different time periods are told chronologically from past to future and then back again.

The novel has six story lines -- each with a different central character -- but the characters are interconnected by their ability to escape the fate that has been prepared for them.

In the fifth story set in "Neo Seoul" in 2144, Sonmi is a genetically engineered clone, who is one of many fabricants grown to work at, among other places, a fast-food restaurant called Papa Song's, and treated as slave labor by the "pure blood" society. Becoming self-aware thanks to individuals from a rebel underground, she later leads a revolution against those "pure blood" people for freedom.

Lana Wachowski, one of the three directors who also attended the news conference, praised Bae's acting ability.

"Even though her conversational English was very limited, the actual performance was quite riveting," the director said.

"She had this quality that I hoped for Sonmi. That Sonmi we felt had to be able to feel innocent in the way you almost see like a deer, a deer can project a feeling of innocence or a quality that was almost trans-human where she was almost so innocent she was not human like the way a baby would feel but in an adult. And yet then she had to evolve into this incredibly strong revolutionary leader. And that's what is so unique about Doona," Lana Wachowski said.

"She has this capacity to in a performance inhabit such a pure emotional vulnerability where you feel like there's almost nothing between the lens and her emotion. And then yet underneath that openness and sweetness, there is a sort of strength, a toughness, a kind of steel in her bones that you could believe could lead the revolution."

The director says she first saw Bae in her 2001 film, "Take Care of My Cat."

"And I was like 'Wow? Who is that girl?' And then I kept watching her films -- 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' (2002) and 'The Host' and 'Air Doll' (2009)," the director recalled.

"When we were thinking about Sonmi for the first time in the beginning, we were talking about doing the multiple races and the transformation of actors from one gender to one race to one age to another. And in the way we had the six main parts, we kind of had this emotional feeling that the one from Seoul should be a Korean. And then I suggested Doona."

The five other stories are: an 1849 Pacific sea voyage where a crooked doctor (Hanks), a novice sailor (Sturgess) and an escaped slave (David Gyasi) cross paths; a saga of dueling composers (Broadbent, Ben Whishaw) set in 1936 Cambridge; a San Francisco-set 1970s thriller about a rogue journalist (Berry) taking on a nuclear power chief (Hugh Grant); a 2012-set comedy about a down-on-his-luck London book editor (Broadbent); and a 24th century tale of tribal warfare, where Zachry (Hanks), a member of a tribe called the Valleymen, teams up with a visiting explorer (Berry) in search of a groundbreaking discovery.

In addition to the role as Sonmi, Bae also acted as the wife of the novice sailor and a Mexican mother.

Bae showed her strong affection for the role of Sonmi.

"I helplessly like the character so much. I was devotedly attached to Sonmi while living for four months as Sonmi," she said.

The movie is set to open in Korean theaters on Jan. 10. 

AEN20121213009600315_02_i.jpg

December 16, 2012

'Cloud Atlas' crew: 'No movie is quite like ours'
Bae Doo-na stars as a clone in dystopian Korea

By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer’s much-anticipated $102 million sci-fi film was finally unveiled to the local press in Seoul last week, featuring Korean actress Bae Doo-na as part of its star-studded ensemble.

The Wachowskis (“The Matrix,” “V for Vendetta”) and Tykwer (“Perfume: The Story of a Murderer”) met with the local press on Thursday, along with Bae and English actor Jim Sturgess, and shared their experience of making “Cloud Atlas,” the most expensive independent movie of all time.

The film is an adaptation of English writer David Mitchell’s 2004 best-selling novel of the same title. It consists of six interrelated stories that take the viewers from the remote South Pacific in the 19th century to dystopian Seoul in 2144 to a post-apocalyptic future. 

“I would be still surprised if all Koreans who watch this movie would say ‘Oh, I’ve seen this before,’” said director Tykwer, when asked to give his thoughts about the movie’s theme of reincarnation, which may not be something new to many viewers in Asia.

“I doubt it. I have not seen that many films that are similar to this one. And that is why I was so excited to make it. For us the beauty of making the film was that we knew that for everyone who was approaching it and finding something familiar, there would always be still something to discover.” 

Its ensemble cast, which includes Halle Berry, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon and Hugh Grant, plays multiple roles throughout, increasing the sense of dj vu and connectivity of the storylines. 

Bae, for example, plays Son-mi, a slave-clone in dystopian Korea, as well as a Mexican woman, and an American woman married to a lawyer in the 19th-century U.S. Actor Sturgess, meanwhile, went through severe makeup sessions to play Chang Hae-joo, a Korean freedom fighter in Seoul in 2144, on top of playing the 19th-century American attorney. Other actors, such as Ben Whishaw, played characters of the opposite sex and different ages. 

20121216000017_0.jpg
From left: Tom Tykwer, Lana Wachowski, Bae Doo-na, Andy Wachowski, and Jim Sturgess pose for a photo during a press conference promoting their latest film “Cloud Atlas” in Seoul. (Yonhap News)

“There was a period of time before we started the film when we just did nothing but doing makeup tests,” Sturgess told reporters on playing multiple roles in the film. 

“You’d sit on a chair for six hours at a time. I remember Ben Whishaw and I arrived to do some very first makeup tests together. We walked into two separate makeup rooms. He went into his and I went into mine. Six hours later, we both emerged again. I was dressed as a Korean man from the future and he was dressed as a woman. And we went to have lunch together. And it kind of started the whole idea that this is going to be overly playful and fun experience for all of us to go through.”

The upcoming movie is also local actress Bae’s Hollywood debut, after appearing in a number of local and Japanese films. Some of her previous roles include the North Korean table tennis player in 2012 sports flick “As One,” and the inflatable sex doll in Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Koreeda’s 2010 work “Air Doll.”

“When I first received the offer I was certainly surprised,” said Bae. “I was surprised that the three directors knew of my existence. I first found the screenplay a little difficult to digest, but after reading the Korean-translated version of the original novel, I thought I could really pull off this Son-mi character. I was hopelessly confident in spite of my limited English at the time.”

The actress has spent a significant amount of time learning English in the U.K. while preparing for the movie; she speaks in a British accent throughout the film.

“I’m shy in nature and often find it difficult to approach people who I’m not very familiar with,” said Bae. “But I tried to attend every dinner and really tried to overcome my shyness. It was certainly challenging to get past the language barrier. The three directors and the crew members really helped me through.”

Director Lana Wachowski said the Korean actress had the quality that she wanted for the Son-mi character, a slave-clone who eventually leads a revolution against the exploitive “pure blood” authorities in Korea in 2144. Though Bae’s conversational English was very limited, her actual performance was quite riveting during her audition in Chicago, the director recalled. 

“That Son-mi we felt had to be able to feel innocent in the way you almost see like a deer, a deer can project a feeling of innocence or a quality that was almost trans-human, where she was almost so innocent she was not human, like the way a baby would feel, but in an adult,” said the director.

“And yet then she had to evolve into this incredibly strong revolutionary leader. And that’s what is so unique about Doo-na is that she has this capacity to, in a performance, inhabit such a pure emotional vulnerability where you feel like there’s almost nothing between the lens and her emotion. And then yet underneath that openness and sweetness, there is a sort of strength, a toughness, a kind of steel in her bones that you could believe could lead her revolution.”

“Cloud Atlas” opens in local theaters on Jan. 10.

“Expect to See a Seoul from 200 Years in the Future”

by JANG Sung-ran /  Dec 17, 2012
Korean Film Biz Zone

Director and Cast of CLOUD ATLAS Visit Korea

AYfcBTXgKInFfbkLMhdX.jpg

The director and cast of sci-fi movie Cloud Atlas held a press interview in Korea on December 13th with the participation of Lana and Andy WACHOWSKI, director Tom TYKWER, BAE Doo-na, and Jim STURGESS. Tom TYKWER said “It is really exciting to be in Seoul. This movie pictures Seoul 200 years from now and we have put the scene into the movie without any visit beforehand. We are very excited to see how the audience will react.”

Andy WACHOWSKI added “I really wanted to see how the real Seoul would be and it seems very attractive.” Lana WACHOWSKI has expressed her love for Seoul by saying that “Seoul feels very close to me almost to think that my ex-wife might have been a Korean.” BAE Doo-na added “I am very happy and overwhelmed to have this press interview in Korea because the shooting was a blast from beginning to end.” and also said “I am very lucky to have been part of of Korean, Japan and American films.” Jim STURGESS has said “I have grown a love for Korea because I lived as a future Korean for 4 months.”

GFbaYQtIqfcSkvQTarLn.jpg

Concerning the casting of Korean actress BAE Doo-na, Lana WACHOWSKI mentioned that “I’ve known her from the movie Take Care of My Cat and have seen all of her films. And later she came for the audition and her acting was just amazing.” BAE Doo-na said “I was thrilled to be in a movie by these three director and it felt very surreal. Especially working with people I’ve only known through movies was very exciting for me.”

Meanwhile, Lana WACHOWSKI who has worked with JUNG Ji-hoon (Rain) in the past has said “Rain is an extremely talented actor, and I want to work with him after he gets dismissed from the army.” she also added that “the Korean movie industry has grown a lot and I have seen all the movies of famous directors PARK Chan-wook and KIM Ki-duk. They show a variety of story telling methods and aesthetics through different films.” Cloud Atlas opens in Korea on Jan. 10.

Bae Doo-na talks Park Ji-sung ‘date’

By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily
Dec 28, 2012

Bae Doo-na has at last opened up about the scandal that rocked her and football player Park Ji-sung over the summer.

Bae told Sports Seoul that the two go back a long time, having been friends even before they were spotted together in London in July.

Looking back on the fiasco that unfolded when the two were spotted by a netizen who claimed they were sharing an umbrella in London, Bae said she wanted to clear the air once and for all.

“We are just friends and no doubt we’ll probably hang out again, so I thought it might be best to own up to our London outing,” said the 33-year-old actress.

She said that in July she was studying in London and knew that Park had recently moved from Manchester to the capital city and thus called him up to grab some ramen together.

Bae’s agency slammed the claim straightaway without even consulting Bae, she said.

“They didn’t even call me to check if it was true or not.”