Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

May 30, 2017

Bae Doona Reveals How “Sense8” Role Helped With Her New Upcoming Drama

Source: Soompi by E. Kang

Bae-Doona-XPN.jpg

Bae Doona opened up about her newest role in upcoming tvN drama “Forest of Secrets” (working title) during a press conference held on May 30.

“Forest of Secrets” explores how cold, emotionless prosecutor Hwang Shi Mok (played by Cho Seung Woo) and righteous, warm-hearted detective Han Yeo Jin (Bae Doona) team up in order to hunt down the hidden truth behind a murder case.

During the press conference, Bae Doona shared how her role as a kickboxer in Netflix-produced drama “Sense8” helped her new role.

She said she had a lot of fighting scenes given her role, and explained, “I think my body remembers [how to move] since I received training for around seven to eight months. It’s easier to utilize my body than before. There aren’t many action scenes in this drama, but I believe it was easier when I had to chase down and fight while catching a suspect.”

As for what kind of feedback she hopes to see, Bae Doona surprisingly replied, “I hope to see comments that say I am funny.”

“As the subject matter is what it is, there will be most likely be dark segments but I portray an energetic [character]. So, in that aspect, I wish there would be feedback about how I am funny,” the actress explained. “It would have been nice to receive feedback while filming the drama, but since our drama is completely pre-produced, I just did my best.”

“Forest of Secrets” will premiere on June 10, following the end of “Chicago Typewriter.”

Source (1) (2)

May 31, 2017

‘Stranger’ deals with corruption within justice system

Bae Doo-na (left) and Cho Seung-woo pose for a photo prior to a press conference in Seoul on Monday. (CJ E&M)

With President Moon Jae-in stepping up efforts to reform the prosecution, new drama series “Stranger,” with its take on corruption in the powerful organization, could not look more relevant right now.

Ahn Gil-ho, director of the tvN drama, however, said “Stranger‘ seeks to touch upon the universal value of justice.”

“Many people said it would be tough to do a drama on the prosecution. The message we are trying to convey is that of justice, which I think everyone can relate to. The power of the story and the acting will sufficiently explain what we are trying to say,” he said during a press conference at Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul.

The star power behind the project is formidable; Bae Doo-na will take a break from a series of English-speaking roles -- including ”Cloud Atlas,“ ”Jupiter Ascending“ and Senses8 -- to act in her native tongue. 

Cho Seung-woo, who played a prosecutor trying to get to the bottom of a corruption scandal in the 2015 hit “Inside Men,” stars opposite Bae. 

“It will be completely different from ‘Inside Men.’ The drama depicts in detail what goes on inside the prosecutors’ office and the corruption,” said Cho. 

Cast of the new tvN drama “Stranger” during a a press conference in Seoul on Monday. (CJ E&M)

Director Ahn said casting two of the hottest actors in Korea was a challenge in itself, which he said paid off in the shooting.

“I wanted an actor with experience and expertise to play the roles, and having Cho play it was such a pleasant experience,” he said. “In the case of Bae, she has already become such a star that it was intriguing just to work with her.”

Bae welcomed the differences that acting in K-dramas provides.

“There is such quick feedback (from viewers), so I think I was able to show myself as I am,” she said. 

In the show, Bae plays a police officer Han Yeo-jin who is all heart and passion. This contrasts drastically with the heartless prosecutor Hwang Si-mok played by Cho. 

Si-mok’s world is turned upside down when he attempts to take on a convoluted serial murder; nearly everyone around him has a motive to be a killer, and he finds himself lost in a whirlwind of greed, corruption and personal vendetta against him.

Firmly grounded in reality, ”Stranger“ deviates from the cable channel’s better known repertoire of light-hearted fantasy romance pieces. But the officials expressed hopes that the drama will turn things around at tvN which recently suffered a streak of commercial flops like ”Tomorrow With You” and “Chicago Typewriter.” 

The poster for the new tvN drama “Stranger.” (CJ E&M)

Cho said that the new drama will bring both fun and meaning. 

“Political messages aside, viewers will both enjoy this drama and be furious at the same time after watching it. I believe they will also feel catharsis,” he said. “I hope someday people would watch these (corruption dramas) and think ‘Yeah, right. Like that’s ever going to happen,’ instead of ‘That’s so similar to the reality’.”

”Stranger,“ starring Cho, Bae, Lee Joon-hyuk, Shin Hye-sun and Yoo Jae-myung, is on tvN at 9 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The first of the 16 episodes will air on June 10. 

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

June 3, 2017

Mystery Series Marks Double TV Comeback for Two Top Stars

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Actor Cho Seung-woo and actress Bae Doo-na will make a joint return to TV screens when their new mystery series premieres on cable channel tvN on June 10. It is Cho's first series in three years and Bae's first in six years.

Cho said he was drawn to the role because it marked a departure from his previous work. "In the past, I've mostly played passionate types, so this character, who has lost touch with his emotions, was very new to me," he said.

2017060300373_0.jpg
Cho Seung-woo (left) and Bae Doo-na

Bae said she took the part because of the show's cast. "I've been working abroad, mostly, for the past few years, and missed my fans here. Then I was offered this role," she said. "It's given me a chance to perform alongside actors I've always wanted to work with. I also liked the fact that the character is a detective, which is a role I have seldom played. I thought it would be fun because it's something different."

The drama revolves around a coolheaded, unfeeling prosecutor and a warm-hearted detective who uncover the truth behind a series of murders. 

June 8, 2017

"Secret Forest" Cho Seung-woo and Bae Doona

Source: Dailian via HanCinema.net

photo856697.png

Cho Seung-woo and Bae Doona are starring in "Secret Forest" and their teamwork is highly anticipated.

The new tvN drama "Secret Forest" is a tracking drama about a prosecutor named Hwang Si-mok without feelings and a passionate policewoman named Han Yeo-jin. Together they work to dig out the corruption inside the prosecution. A special episode was let out on the 3rd and people can't stop talking about it since then.

It's been 3 and 7 years since Cho Seung-woo and Bae Doona have been in dramas. Cho Seung-woo and Bae Doona are going to create a great team in tracking down information about the murderer who kills a prosecutor sponsor. The interesting thing is, the two characters are completely opposite from each other.

Cho Seung-woo's role of Si-mok has no feelings. His brain can't read emotion after a brain surgery he received when he was young. He sees the world rationally so it's hard to form a connection with other people but he is outstanding as a prosecutor and is called 'the Brain'.

Bae Doona is Han Yeo-jin, a policewoman. She is righteous and bright and persistent. Her merits stand out in scenes where she's after a criminal and she throws herself all out there to do what she has to do.

The only person Si-mok trusts is Yeo-jin. She lets him see the world from a different angle while Si-mok is like a tree. He has no emotion so he's not easily shaken.

• 4 weeks later...

July 2, 2017

‘Stranger’ starring Bae Doo-na on roll

The tvN crime thriller series “Stranger” starring Bae Doo-na and Jo Seung-woo reached a viewership of 5.1 percent Saturday.

Bae Doo-na in "Stranger" (tvN)

The show is receiving favorable reviews for its airtight plot, gripping sequences and strong performances. 

Jo stars as Hwang Si-mok, a cold-blooded loner prosecutor who is unable to feel emotions. Bae plays Han Yeo-jin, a passionate police investigator seeking to uncover the murder of a prosecutor. 

Jo Seung-woo in "Stranger" (tvN)

“Stranger” airs Saturdays and Sundays at 9 p.m. on tvN. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

I can't believe Secret Forest ends this weekend. I'll miss her........if anybody finds her insta story update with armani shoot please do share.

Is this the one? 

Published on July 11, 2017 by Louis Vuitton 

Connected Journeys.

The adventure begins with the Tambour Horizon Connected Watch by Louis Vuitton. Explore the interactive experience now at http://vuitton.lv/2t4LTMh

Featuring Jennifer Connelly, Catherine Deneuve, Jaden Smith, Doona Bae, Ebizo Ichikawa, Urassaya Sperbund, Lu Han, Victor Cruz, Miranda Kerr, Adèle Exarchopoulos, Laura Harrier and Gong Yoo.

July 31, 2017

‘Stranger’ ends amid much fanfare

Crime-thriller series “Stranger” ended with much fanfare Sunday, achieving 7.3 percent viewership at one point during its last episode.

The tvN drama that aired Saturdays and Sundays was lauded for its gripping plot and strong performances.

Viewers have eagerly demanded a second season, to which tvN replied Monday that “no specific plans are in place as of yet.” 

“I believed that we could ... have a good-hearted influence on the world,” actor Jo Seung-woo said of the series.

Jo played seemingly unfeeling, loner prosecutor Hwang Si-mok alongside Bae Doo-na, who played passionate, justice-seeking police investigator Han Yeo-jin.  

20170731000725_0.jpg
"Stranger" (tvN)

The series, directed by Ahn Gil-ho, is scriptwriter Lee Soo-youn’s debut work.

“Many things need to fall into line for the making of a second season. ... I’m honored that people are even asking for a second season,” Lee said Monday.

The series is available for streaming on Netflix. 

(doo@heraldcorp.com)

• 2 weeks later...

August 12,  2017

Bae Doona Talks About Her Hollywood Audition Experience On “Infinite Challenge”

Source: Soompi by S. Oh  

baedoona1.png

Bae Doona appeared on “Infinite Challenge” and enlightened the cast with her insight on Hollywood auditions!

On August 12, the cast of MBC’s “Infinite Challenge” travelled to LA to participate in a U.S. drama audition.

bae-doona-6.jpg

Before their departure, they met experienced actress Bae Doona to ask for her advice on Hollywood auditions. Bae Doona had appeared in Hollywood productions such as “Cloud Atlas” and “Sense8.”

Bae Doona shared, “I auditioned consistently. It’s good to audition as much as possible.”

She explained, “I recorded a self-tape to introduce myself. My brother shot it for me. Luckily, the director of ‘Cloud Atlas’ contacted me first for the film.”

bae-doona-5.jpg

Regarding the cast’s concern about the language barrier, Bae Doona advised, “English is inevitably important. But you have to be confident. You have to make them think, ‘I want to work with that person.’ I even prepared a special skill to show them.”

The episode with Bae Doona also features the reunion of “Infinite Challenge” members and Jack Black.

Source (1)

• 4 weeks later...

August 29, 2017

The Faster, the Higher
The Time Taken by Surpassing 10 Million Viewers

by CHO Meanjune / KoBiz

oKuaLMZQLGXPpLlZxRGf.jpg

The speed at which popular Korean films are passing the 10,000,000 viewer “blockbuster” mark has tripled. At least this is the case in a simple, parallel comparison of the time it took Silmido (2003), the first Korean film to accomplish the 10 million admissions feat, and A Taxi Driver, the 15th and most current film to do so. The amount of days needed for a film to become a blockbuster has gradually and steadily been decreasing over the past 15 years with a few, but notable deviations. The fastest to reach the over 10 million admissions mark is Roaring Currents (2014), becoming the highest grossing local film of all time with 17,615,039 moviegoers while CHOI Dong-hoon’s independent fighter action flick Assassination (2015) surpassed 10 million viewers on the 70th anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japan on August 15th, 2015.

There is a close correlation between the time taken to exceed 10 million viewers and the number of screens. Masquerade (2012) and Miracle in Cell No.7 (2013), which had 810 and 787 screens respectively, took more than 30 days to surpass the milestone while The Thieves (2012), which was shown on 1,072 screens, managed the feat in only 22 days. The three Korean movies that surpassed the 10 million viewer mark within 20 days all started off with more than 1,500 screens. Among the 10 million viewer toppers, TRAIN TO BUSAN (2016) recorded the highest screen share with 1,788 screens.

• 2 weeks later...

Joo Ji-hoon, Ryu Seung-ryong, Bae Doo-na consider Netflix show Kingdom

joojihoon-ryuseungryong-baedoona.jpg

Now this is a lineup some dream casts are made of. There’s some exciting casting news for Kingdom, the newest show from Signal’s writer Kim Eun-hee, to follow the disappointing reports that Song Joong-ki (Descended From the Sun) has ultimately turned down his offer to star in the Netflix fusion sageuk. Joo Ji-hoon (Asura, Mask), Ryu Seung-ryong (Dorihwaga), and Bae Doo-na (Forest of Secrets) are all considering roles in the upcoming 8-episode Joseon action thriller, which is tentatively scheduled to start filming next month.

Kingdom will follow the crown prince of Joseon who starts investigating a mysterious plague that is devastating the populace. This ‘plague’ turns out to be a zombie outbreak, and our hero will fight to reveal what’s happening. If he does accept, Joo Ji-hoon will star as the crown prince of zombie-infested Joseon, and it will be interesting to see whether the political component mentioned in earlier reports will remain in the plot. Because I’ve found that the biggest conflicts in zombie apocalypse stories (aside from the obvious) are derived from how the people in power react to these sorts of catastrophes.

Bae Doo-na and Ryu Seung-ryong’s potential roles remain unspecified but I don’t even care because I know they’ll be brilliantly badass or evil, depending on what their characters are. I really hope things work out so that both actors can sign up, but Bae Doo-na’s participation is up in the air because she’s currently filming Drug King and it’ll be a tight schedule if she agrees to Kingdom, which plans to commence shoots pretty soon. If Ryu Seung-ryong signs on, it’ll be a pretty big coup for the Netflix show, since he hasn’t been in a drama since 2010’s Personal Taste. I can’t believe it’s been 7 years already.

I’m a pretty big fan of zombie stories in general, with some of my favorites including World War Z (the book), the early seasons of Walking Dead, and of course, Train to Busan. So I was ecstatic to hear that dramaland was trying its hand in the genre, and with the writing and directing talent behind the zombie action sageuk, I’m counting down the days ‘til I can binge-watch it on Netflix. Which is still a long ways away, sadly: Kingdom is planning on being released via the online streaming platform in late 2018.

cr. http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/09/joo-ji-hoon-ryu-seung-ryong-bae-doo-na-consider-netflix-show-kingdom/

• 2 weeks later...

Photo List: Dynamic Acting Studio, Seoul  @d.a.studio_korea

Talented, admirable and respectable Korean actors

#HwangJungMin #JeonDoYeon # ChoJinWoong # ChunWooHee
#NaMoonHee #YooHaeJin #HanSukKyu # KimHyeSoo 
#SongKangHo #SulKyungGu# MoonSoRi #KwakDoWon 
#OhDalSu #BaeDooNa #JoSeungWoo #KimHyeJa  
#LeeSunGyun #GongHyoJin # KimYoonSeok #JangJinYoung 
#LeeByungHun #KimYunJin #GoHyunJung #ParkHaeIl

21910783_269084530264648_331051539395248

• Like 1

September 27, 2017

Veteran actresses struggle to land on roles

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

Veteran actresses in their late 30s and 40s struggle to find characters that suit their experience and abilities. 

The film and TV industries complain of a shortage of young actresses in their 20s, while older and more experienced actresses say their chances of appearing on screens are getting smaller because many TV dramas and movies shun them. 

Actresses in their 40s are as gorgeous as younger actresses and are eager to devote themselves to acting. Yet those veteran actresses have a hard time finding decent roles befitting their names. It is in stark contrast to actors in a similar age group who are bagging diverse roles and building their careers. 

Although some dramas such as "Good Wife" needed actresses in their 40s, and "Woman of Dignity" cast two lead actresses Kim Sun-a, 43, and Kim Hee-sun, 41, who stole the show, it is rare for veteran actresses to find such projects. 

Choi Kang-hee, 40, after finishing her latest project "Queen of Mystery," said in an interview that she was in a bad slump and recovered by landing the title role in the drama. 

"I saw the range of characters I can play is drastically reduced," she said. "I felt that that I couldn't be in romantic comedies forever with younger male partners. But at the same time, I was not suited to feature, say, as a married woman with kids." 

An official of a local entertainment agency said: "It is true that film distributors prefer projects where actors take leading roles. Although those A-list veteran actresses receive diverse offers, it is another matter whether those projects can actually receive investment and secure screening. 

"Although actresses of that age group have a higher desire to be challenged by diverse roles and expand their acting spectrum, it is hard to find such projects. Instead of considering if it is a leading role or supporting role, it would be better for them to find scene-stealing roles that can make them outshine the lead actors." 

Kim Hye-soo left a strong impression in "Signal," even though her part was small, and Bae Doo-na, co-star of "Stranger," is known to choose films that are good rather than for how big the potential role is. 

Some actresses become directors and create the characters they want to play. Veteran actress Moon so-ri, 43, recently made her directorial debut with her new film "The Running Actress. " The semi-autobiopic comedy features her as the main character, showing her struggling with her career, family life and public perception. In the film, Moon plays a middle-aged actress who has a hard time landing roles she wants but receives offers to play other parts such as a single mom butcher with a grown-up child. 

jinhai@ktimes.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

October 8, 2017

Bae Doo-na, Song Kang-ho finish shooting ‘Drug King’

Filming of the much-anticipated crime flick “Drug King” featuring Bae Doo-na, Song Kang-ho and Jo Jung-suk has wrapped up, according to an Instagram post by Bae on Saturday. 

Bae uploaded a photo of herself receiving a bouquet of flowers from a member of the filming crew.

“That’s a wrap,” Bae captioned the photo. 

Actor Song is also seen clapping in the picture. 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20171008
(Bae Doo-na's Instagram)

The film set in 1970s Korea traces the story of the infamous drug kingpin Lee Doo-sam, who was a major distributor of drugs and a dangerous boss of a gang.

The film directed by Woo Min-ho -- who was behind “Inside Men” (2015) -- will open in theaters next year.

(doo@heraldcorp.com

• 2 weeks later...

October 20, 2017

BAE Doo-na Confirmed for 6-episode Netflix Drama Series Kingdom, Meets Director KIM Seong-hun

by KIM Su-bin / KoBiz

20171020bdn.jpg

BAE Doo-na has been confirmed to star in a 6-episode Neflix drama. Representative from BAE’s agency, SBD Entertainment, confirmed on October 12 that “BAE has selected Kingdom as her next project and the shooting will commence soon.” Kingdom is a zombie thriller set in the Joseon Dynasty. The story unfolds as the Crown Prince makes a shocking discovery while looking into a mysterious epidemic that threatens his kingdom. Play writer KIM Eun-hee who is known for genre works such as Signal (2016), Phantom (2012), and Sign (2011) will be writing the script, while director KIM Seong-hun of Tunnel (2016) and A Hard Day (2014) will be helming the project.

In Kingdom, BAE will be playing “Seo-bi”, a doctor. Not only will this drama mark the 20th year in BAE’s career, it is also her very first period piece. This series will be produced completely by A Story which previously produced tvN’s Signal and KBS’ You’re the Best! Netflix plans to release this exclusive series to subscribers from 190 countries in 2018.

Meanwhile, BAE just finished shooting director WOO Min-ho’s Drug King with SONG Kang-ho, JO Jung-suk, and YU Jae-myeong. Drug King is based on a real figure from the 1970s named LEE Doo-sam who shook Korea as the mastermind behind distributing narcotics. SONG will play LEE Doo-sam, and BAE will turn herself into lobbyist KIM Jung-a who brings LEE Doo-sam into the world of high society. 

• Like 1

October 24, 2017

Song Kang-ho says ‘Drug King’ is unique film

From left: Director Woo Min-ho, Jo Jung-suk, Song Kang-ho and Bae Doo-na pose for a photo on the set of “Drug King” on Oct. 10 in Busan. (Showbox)

Actor Song Kang-ho called his upcoming project “Drug King” unprecedented in Korean cinema.

“I think (people) will discover a unique aspect that hasn’t been seen in any genre of Korean cinema,” Song said in a press release Tuesday.

In the crime thriller, Song will star as Lee Doo-sam, a character based on a real-life infamous drug kingpin in the 1970s. 

The film is helmed by Woo Min-ho, who previously directed the hit 2015 political thriller “Inside Men.” 

Song most recently starred in director Jang Hoon’s “A Taxi Driver.” 

Shooting for “Drug King” began in May and wrapped up Oct. 10 in Busan, according to the film’s distributor Showbox. 

Bae Doo-na stars alongside Song as Kim Jeong-ah, a lobbyist. “It is the first time I’ve worked with (Song) in 10 years since ‘The Host,’” said Bae, referring to Bong Joon-ho’s 2006 creature thriller. “Every moment on set was joyful.” 

The film also stars Jo Jung-suk. It is set to hit local theaters next summer. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

November 6, 2017

SONG Kang-ho and BAE Doo-na Wrap DRUG KING in Busan
WOO Min-ho’s INSIDE MEN Follow-up also Features JO Jung-suk

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

Production on DRUG KING, one of next year’s most anticipated releases, concluded on October 10th in Busan. Starring SONG Kang-ho, BAE Doo-na and JO Jung-suk, the crime thriller is director WOO Min-ho’s follow-up to his 2015 hit Inside Men with LEE Byung-hun.

Set in the southern port city Busan during the 1970s, DRUG KING chronicles the rise of real life drug dealer LEE Doo-sam, to be played by SONG, while BAE plays an influential government lobbyist. 

Lead SONG is fresh off the year’s biggest hit, after starring in JANG Hun’s Gwangju drama A Taxi Driver, which drove post 12 million viewers at the box office this summer. BAE most recently appeared in last year’s hit disaster film Tunnel alongside HA Jung-woo, as well as this year’s popular TV show Strangers. She is currently preparing for the two-hour series finale of Netflix show Sense8. SONG and BAE have appeared together before, both in PARK Chan-wook’s Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and BONG Joon-ho’s The Host (2006).

Meanwhile JO has been busy graduating to leading man status since 2014’s My Love, My Bride, having starred in Time Renegades and My Annoying Brother last year, while also being active on the small screen.

Following his earlier films Man of Vendetta (2010) and The Spies (2012), director WOO struck box office gold with Inside Men, which was released in two versions in late 2015. Combined, the releases welcomed 9.16 million spectators (USD 65.2 million) and bagged several prizes from the Blue Dragon, Daejong, Korean Film Critics and Asian Film Awards, among others.

Distributor Showbox will release the film at some point next year.

• Like 1