The HK Music Thread!!

Guest HKS457

do yourself a favour, get candy lo's latest album.

she is really something else altogether. there are so many people who disrespects her due to her strange live performances. but her studio materials are so good. i am so glad this one is so good. and i mean it. really really good. its just so bloody refreshing to hear something different. cantopop is so bland these days with the generic k trash.

That song sort of sounds like Faye Wong's Song.

But I think I will get Candy Lo's album, I adore her. :]

I use to be SOO obsessed with Hong Kong music/movies.

Now I think it's going down. I don't know who to listen to to get quality music anymore, every thing is just so BLAH these days.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AZNbOYreACTI

anyone know of Beyond? They've disbanded of course, but do yourself some good and find some of their songs =] They're just classic.

Man, if Ka Kui was still around, Beyond would still be tearing up the charts in HK...

it's such a shame. :(

Guest Tonyc402

anyone know of Beyond? They've disbanded of course, but do yourself some good and find some of their songs =] They're just classic.

Man, if Ka Kui was still around, Beyond would still be tearing up the charts in HK...

it's such a shame. :(

Yeah man Beyond is the greatest!!!!!

Guest TrainDriver

i've listened to a couple of beyond songs, i dunno maybe its too old for me, but i dun really like their songs.

Guest kkkkk

That song sort of sounds like Faye Wong's Song.

But I think I will get Candy Lo's album, I adore her. :]

I use to be SOO obsessed with Hong Kong music/movies.

Now I think it's going down. I don't know who to listen to to get quality music anymore, every thing is just so BLAH these days.

i read quite a bit of music reviews online and on magazines, and it seems that people are saying there are traces of faye wong everywhere on the album. its a good thing, i guess.

i like 空白 alot!

Guest calixa

What would EEG do without Joey... the only semblance of singing cred they have? Whoever said that Hins should sign to EEG is only partly right -- he might get more exposure but I don't want Hins to become an EEG slave!!

Guest __CHINA.DOLL

I'm currently really obsessed with Jason Chan <3

Hes a really awesome singer! .. and Ive seen him live and it was really good ( at Markham's Taste of Asia )

and he looks much better in real life then in pictures and videos <3

He was really nice and cute during breaks ><"

Guest kkkkk

What would EEG do without Joey... the only semblance of singing cred they have? Whoever said that Hins should sign to EEG is only partly right -- he might get more exposure but I don't want Hins to become an EEG slave!!

Is she really leaving? Have'nt been keeping up with the HK entertainment news. I never thought she would leave EEG, because she is really close to Mani and all the EEG-ers.

Guest Tonyc402

I'm currently really obsessed with Jason Chan <3

Hes a really awesome singer! .. and Ive seen him live and it was really good ( at Markham's Taste of Asia )

and he looks much better in real life then in pictures and videos <3

He was really nice and cute during breaks ><"

Yeah Jason Chan is really talented . His vocals are great

Guest hope_

I'm sure Eason Chan is part of EEG. Isn't he? All I know is that Joey has come a long way with her voice under the guidance of Roman. If you listen to their duet together, you can hear their singing style is so similar. And her voice is so powerful if given the opportunity. It's sad to see her constantly singing songs that conform to the present HK Music Style when her voice suits the old ballad types that had so much quality and lyrical meaning behind it.

Okay I really don't think anyone knows what I'm going on about. LOL -

But I miss the old HK Music scene - where artists were there because of talent and their love for music ; and not because they got scouted for their looks or they're in the business for the money. I even miss how they'd have music programs and award ceremonies decked out like it was something really grand and important. Now days - everything just looks forced + made on a budget.

Funny how people still accept it and still listen to the music now. I guess, our expectations have dropped and you can see it. Even the HK magazines focus on celebrity private lives and exposing who did what with who, instead of looking at such and such's success on the charts which as attributed to hard work and intense training.

^ Eason used to be a part of EEG.

and ___l0vE`y0u..: omg I LOVE JASON CHAN!! ahha I watched him live too @ Taste of Asia, did you see his mini concert @ Market Village yesterday? I wish I went but something came up last min. and I couldn't go >.<

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crystalclear147

well i unno that many chinese ppl despite teh fact that im chinese

but, i personally think twins are overrated, cuz their lives are reallly diff

and yeahh, thier songs are really popppp (i like pop) twins are good, just overrated

I THINK

well yeahh

i dunnoe to many HKers but,, i just found Hins Cheung after watching 'love is not all round'

his song 'My Way' is quite good ~

that's all i have in canto songs.. ^^

• 3 weeks later...

wat are some good female singers apart from the usual ones mentioned here already.

Denise Ho. Ho Wan See. Or was she already mentioned?

Whatever. She is worth a listen. Scratch that, she is worth multiple listens.

A preview of her newest single 木紋, off her newest album "What Really Matters" (which is due to be out in approx 24 hours).

What i really like is how much hard work she puts into developing themes/concepts for her albums.

(actually only the butterfly theme and this what really matters theme... but still...)

Alongside with the album and her upcoming 'music matters' show, they are releasing a DVD, "Small Matters", with short movies and documentary-like footages. This music on the DVD are tracks from the new album. For example, the central piece of the DVD is a 30 minute mini-movie is titled after the track "大紅袍".

heres a preview:

Guest Vino de Jerez

i only listen to old HK songs. cos my parents listen to them! hahah they can be quite nice, but i dont understand canto completely.

Edit/

OH NO NO NO WAIT! HAHAH!

I listen to EDISON CHEN! & TWINS!

Guest luluchan

Yeah Jason Chan is really talented . His vocals are great

so GOOD vocals = talent? uh... that's pbb why hk music sux... do u guys even KNOW what a GOOD VOCALIST is???

but uh... hello? ok Jason so OK he can sing the notes K reached in Only Human..

but

where are the emotions? ERRR? I dun really get Japanese but i could totally feel the emotions K put out~~ but Jason CHan?? OKAY i give him CREDIT to be able to REACH the NOTES (cuz im sure 1/2 the hk singer pop wouldn'tbe able to do it)

bland., boring n no heart

sorry

but i guess it's not HIS fault~~

there hasn't been a single good cantonese song since Eason Chan's last album (and even THAT album sucked compared to U87) and uh.. is the Ivana X HIns song from last yr??? cuz taht song was real good too~~ (some might say DENISE/JOEY/KHALIL/JANICE are good but uh... no listen to OLD Canto pop and u'll know what i mean... and Denise /Joey CLEARYLY had better songs couple yrs b4.. and Khalil.. well.. ok he's good but uh... does anyone find his songs MEMORABLE?? can u even see what's NEW that he bring that JayChou/David T brought over from Tw???? uh.. sry but no; Janice.. ... i can just say "can someone bring the initial Janice bk??? " )

AND he's totally NOT a performer on stage..

ok i really like Hins... I think he's got real potential but he wasn't promoted enuf in the past but BUT.... i was REALLY disappointed with Hins' last cantonese album... it's hmmm really ... crappy (compared to his old stuff.. where i could find some elements that are original and he really sounded like he really liked what he sang.. ) I didint really dig that album cuz .. the 1st time i listened to it i only like GUO YUN YU and Hurt so bad.. the others weren't BAD but hmmm just SOMETHING was missing from HIns .... and when i checked the credits.. I realized the ONLY 2 Songs i liked were the ONLY SONGS HIns wrote for the album.. .. and this yr's album... pttf i dun wanna talk about it but even the new song "ku ai" really blehhh.. (eventho i initially thought HINS wrote it cuz it sounds like some REALLY old stuff that he wrote in 1st album.. and ithought he downgraded himself and walked bkwards to make mroe fans like him...) but no... it was written by someone else..

it's sad that even HIns Cheung is releasing really low Q stuff...and YES i AM pretty sure cuz i TOTALLY feel the difference when he performs his "new songs" (the songs he didn't write himself but given to him cuz like he has to go "by the trend" ... he's totally NOT passionate about singin anymore~~ sighhhh Hins is a rare talent but the HK ppl didn't dig into his awesome stuff b4 (saying it's too "non maintream".. im like "wtf?? it's POP MUSIC but with some originality")!!

sounds harsh but the canto pop scene now is crap cuz it's all driven by Karaoke and the most imp thing is.. "will that be pop in the K rooms?"

Seriously ..

dun even MENTION JUSTIN LO cuz lolz~~ hes a good k song writer but uh... he was good @ the beg.. but uh.. is it just me or ALL HIS SONGS SOUND THE SAME when He himself sings it?? theya re seriously SO similar and formulated.. i pbb can just Hum VOLAR the top of my head.. and

I must say that it's really AMAZING ...

AMAZING how TWINS can make ZERO singing improvement for the past SIX yrs.. they should get an award for that ~~ i mean.. i would expect SOMEthing BETTER than when they are 18~~ hmm btu hmmm they are STILL acting like they are 18 and hmmm i guess that's not considered gross in hk

but then again.. this is my OWN opinion and im NO WHERE nEAR a CANTO POP hater cuz i GREW UP and STILL live arond canto pop~~~

Im just saying that the market has become so low grade that ppl areNOT bothered to make better music/improvement

and LASTLY... i wanna reply to AZNbOYreACTI

I LOVE BEYOND!! (just cuz of Ka Kui~~ ) i knew about his death but i was like really young.. like 7 i think i didn't really know about him and his band so much until 4 or 5 yrs ago my frend was listening to their songs on his car n i borrowed their concert video after he knew that i wasn't familiar with them @ all~~ and honestly... I LITTERALLY CRIED and BAWLED when KA KUI sang "GUANG HUI SUI YUE" ~~ and AMANI ~~ i just think he is really amazing and his lyrics and tunes and his awesome performance really communicates with the listener and u just can't stop but being AWED @ what he wrote about.... it's so... freakin GOOD~!!! (sorry for the lack of vocab but i can't think of much now haha) and NOT like bout TRAFFIC LIGHTS and claiming they use METAPPHOR to talk about life/relationships and a lifeless performance but a mediocre singer

we dun need METAPHORS to sound profound and thoughtful ~~ that's just crap that hk ppl put out and praise for NOTHING

kinda sad but hk music is gonna sink soon if no one saves it... and HELLO?? since when does Aaron can dance well?

he's just GOOD cuz HK HAS NO FREAKIN DANCER

Generally i agree with what Miss Luluchan has said about Justin Lo and Jason Chan. (And Beyond, duh.)

"Just saying that the market has become so low grade that ppl areNOT bothered to make better music/improvement"

I quite disagree with you on this. I think that people within the industry are gradually pushing for change. But somehow, effort is wasted on the wrong place. For example, there is this very unhealthy trend that every company just feel like generating so-called singer-songwriters to the extent that it does not even matter if the music they made is of high calibre... Its the same with 'good' singers. Its almost like they just grabbed some kids from singing class. The technique is there, but the rest is blah.

The music industry, after all, is about the money. It is a business. The HK market is also so miniscule compared to the Taiwan, Korean, Japanese market. Just look at the population size. To actually train new blood and invest more on the music itself, would not be as economically viable as it would be in bigger markets. And with everyone listening to music from other countries, its easy to see that the market has reached saturation.

How many albums do you have to sell in HK to reach platinum? Lets ask wiki:

Note: While in many parts of the world, like in the US, it is easy for A-list singers to get many times platinum, it is different case in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong it is difficult for even the best selling singers and albums to get certified even one time platinum. For example, the best selling album of 2004 only got certified two times platinum, with only around 10 more albums in the whole year also reaching platinum/double platinum. (Qualifications before 2005: Gold = 25,000, Platinum = 50,000 Qualifications after 2005: Gold = 20,000, Platinum = 40,000)

Its not a glorious excuse. But you know why a good singer like Joey Yung has to suffer? Because she has to spend so much time making movies and tv series and shooting commercials. She is a singer. But the time she actually spend outside her musical career is much more than the time she does work related. Say, compare her to BoA. (I know they are rather different. But they are both mainstream/popular and close to the top of their game. I dont really know Korean music, so bear with me.)

From 2000 - 2006 BoA has released 10 albums.

From 2000 - 2006 JoeyYung has released 11 cantonese albums, 2 EPs, and 5 Mandarin albums.

Despite having a shorter discography, BoA sells much much more albums than Joey.

They both have done alot of product endorsements. So its a draw.

They both do massive worldwide tours. Its probably a draw too. (With Joey touring extensively in China especially, and BoA in Japan and Korea.)

But Joey has made 7 movies and 5 television series.

Why does she have to do that? Why not BoA? Easy. BoA makes alot of money for her company based on touring and album sales along. So, her company can focus on developing her music career because they can profit easily. Whereas no matter how well Joey sings, the maximum captive market is only this small. I think that this distraction from their musical career is jeopardizing many HK artists' career.

Yes. Nothing compares to music from the Beyond era. And why? Its also about how the market shapes.

Years ago. Leslie Cheung tours Asia regularly. Having at least a dozen shows at a single country.

Remember? Ka Kui died while touring in Japan. How many HK singers tour Japan now?

How many people actually buy music these days compared to the good old times of vinyl records and cassette tapes. I, for one, confess that for every 10 albums i own, i have at least double the amount of music i obtain illegally. And i am sure you and i know of people who have'nt purchased an album in a couple of years. But they've got their iPods handy. Yuck.

Its the age of infomation overload. The current market is bleak. But what is one to do?

sorry for the boring rant. i love hongkong. i am a fan. so i just want to point out the obvious.

even i am reluctant to listen to the crap on radio. but things are looking up at a snail's pace. for example, khalil > edison at least.

Guest Tonyc402

so GOOD vocals = talent? uh... that's pbb why hk music sux... do u guys even KNOW what a GOOD VOCALIST is???

but uh... hello? ok Jason so OK he can sing the notes K reached in Only Human..

but

where are the emotions? ERRR? I dun really get Japanese but i could totally feel the emotions K put out~~ but Jason CHan?? OKAY i give him CREDIT to be able to REACH the NOTES (cuz im sure 1/2 the hk singer pop wouldn'tbe able to do it)

bland., boring n no heart

sorry

but i guess it's not HIS fault~~

there hasn't been a single good cantonese song since Eason Chan's last album (and even THAT album sucked compared to U87) and uh.. is the Ivana X HIns song from last yr??? cuz taht song was real good too~~ (some might say DENISE/JOEY/KHALIL/JANICE are good but uh... no listen to OLD Canto pop and u'll know what i mean... and Denise /Joey CLEARYLY had better songs couple yrs b4.. and Khalil.. well.. ok he's good but uh... does anyone find his songs MEMORABLE?? can u even see what's NEW that he bring that JayChou/David T brought over from Tw???? uh.. sry but no; Janice.. ... i can just say "can someone bring the initial Janice bk??? " )

AND he's totally NOT a performer on stage..

ok i really like Hins... I think he's got real potential but he wasn't promoted enuf in the past but BUT.... i was REALLY disappointed with Hins' last cantonese album... it's hmmm really ... crappy (compared to his old stuff.. where i could find some elements that are original and he really sounded like he really liked what he sang.. ) I didint really dig that album cuz .. the 1st time i listened to it i only like GUO YUN YU and Hurt so bad.. the others weren't BAD but hmmm just SOMETHING was missing from HIns .... and when i checked the credits.. I realized the ONLY 2 Songs i liked were the ONLY SONGS HIns wrote for the album.. .. and this yr's album... pttf i dun wanna talk about it but even the new song "ku ai" really blehhh.. (eventho i initially thought HINS wrote it cuz it sounds like some REALLY old stuff that he wrote in 1st album.. and ithought he downgraded himself and walked bkwards to make mroe fans like him...) but no... it was written by someone else..

it's sad that even HIns Cheung is releasing really low Q stuff...and YES i AM pretty sure cuz i TOTALLY feel the difference when he performs his "new songs" (the songs he didn't write himself but given to him cuz like he has to go "by the trend" ... he's totally NOT passionate about singin anymore~~ sighhhh Hins is a rare talent but the HK ppl didn't dig into his awesome stuff b4 (saying it's too "non maintream".. im like "wtf?? it's POP MUSIC but with some originality")!!

sounds harsh but the canto pop scene now is crap cuz it's all driven by Karaoke and the most imp thing is.. "will that be pop in the K rooms?"

Seriously ..

dun even MENTION JUSTIN LO cuz lolz~~ hes a good k song writer but uh... he was good @ the beg.. but uh.. is it just me or ALL HIS SONGS SOUND THE SAME when He himself sings it?? theya re seriously SO similar and formulated.. i pbb can just Hum VOLAR the top of my head.. and

I must say that it's really AMAZING ...

AMAZING how TWINS can make ZERO singing improvement for the past SIX yrs.. they should get an award for that ~~ i mean.. i would expect SOMEthing BETTER than when they are 18~~ hmm btu hmmm they are STILL acting like they are 18 and hmmm i guess that's not considered gross in hk

but then again.. this is my OWN opinion and im NO WHERE nEAR a CANTO POP hater cuz i GREW UP and STILL live arond canto pop~~~

Im just saying that the market has become so low grade that ppl areNOT bothered to make better music/improvement

and LASTLY... i wanna reply to AZNbOYreACTI

I LOVE BEYOND!! (just cuz of Ka Kui~~ ) i knew about his death but i was like really young.. like 7 i think i didn't really know about him and his band so much until 4 or 5 yrs ago my frend was listening to their songs on his car n i borrowed their concert video after he knew that i wasn't familiar with them @ all~~ and honestly... I LITTERALLY CRIED and BAWLED when KA KUI sang "GUANG HUI SUI YUE" ~~ and AMANI ~~ i just think he is really amazing and his lyrics and tunes and his awesome performance really communicates with the listener and u just can't stop but being AWED @ what he wrote about.... it's so... freakin GOOD~!!! (sorry for the lack of vocab but i can't think of much now haha) and NOT like bout TRAFFIC LIGHTS and claiming they use METAPPHOR to talk about life/relationships and a lifeless performance but a mediocre singer

we dun need METAPHORS to sound profound and thoughtful ~~ that's just crap that hk ppl put out and praise for NOTHING

kinda sad but hk music is gonna sink soon if no one saves it... and HELLO?? since when does Aaron can dance well?

he's just GOOD cuz HK HAS NO FREAKIN DANCER

I understand where you are coming from , I just meant that Jason does have pretty good vocal talent. Yes it is sad how HK music is nowadays . Most HK songs nowadays are just aiming towards karaoke. If people saw The Four Heavnly Kings then I think people will agree that there isnt much talent in the industry then wut it used to be . The HK music industry needs to change instead of just sucking up all the money and not care about real music is. But also its not their fault as the information age has taken over and more and more people are downloading music rather then actual buying it . Back then artists like Beyond didnt have to worry about people stealing music , and so it wasnt so much a problem then to invest in good artists.

I 100% agree with what kkkkk said.

Archived