York University

Guest Honey_Babee

Guest Honey_Babee

I understand people's anger toward their strike but attacking them is not just. Why are you making such a big deal out of? It has been ongoing since November? I live on residence, and the people around me all are pretty chilled about it cus there is nothing for us to do to change the course its taking. They might curse the union and argue but they know any further step is considered an act of violence. Throwing snowballs at them does not solve anything. Yes, it gets your anger out of your system, but there are better ways to do that.

i live on res on too. but i dont see how that has anything to dow ith it. and wer making it a big deal because i hate the damn walk to keele from my res. its far and its cold, and its all their fault. their being greedy. and throwing snowballs at them would make me feel better :)

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live on res on too. but i dont see how that has anything to dow ith it. and wer making it a big deal because i hate the damn walk to keele from my res. its far and its cold, and its all their fault. their being greedy. and throwing snowballs at them would make me feel better :)

Lol walking is good for you. It won't kill to get exercise (even if you do exercise regularly). All I have to say is, "Boo Hoo". Life is unfair, deal with it. You don't see graduates students whining about walking through the cold to get to school. If you really want to go out, that's what your going to have to go through. It's been like this since November. Technically everyone is being greedy in this time of economic despair.

Lol walking is good for you. It won't kill to get exercise (even if you do exercise regularly). All I have to say is, "Boo Hoo". Life is unfair, deal with it. You don't see graduates students whining about walking through the cold to get to school. If you really want to go out, that's what your going to have to go through. It's been like this since November. Technically everyone is being greedy in this time of economic despair.

You can't say "Boo hoo, life is unfair." to us 50,000 students who were robbed of time, our education and potentially our money because of this strike.

We should be saying "Boo hoo, life is unfair" to the TAs. York already upped their offer, and the Union will likely reject it.

What does that say about the union?

Guest Shikabane Hime

I understand people's anger toward their strike but attacking them is not just. Why are you making such a big deal out of? It has been ongoing since November? I live on residence, and the people around me all are pretty chilled about it cus there is nothing for us to do to change the course its taking. They might curse the union and argue but they know any further step is considered an act of violence. Throwing snowballs at them does not solve anything. Yes, it gets your anger out of your system, but there are better ways to do that.

I'd be pissed if UofT goes on strike immediately if york won :mellow:

Union here's already at their limits.

Guest Honey_Babee

Life is unfair deal with it? wtf, i pay over ten grand a year to be in this school, and ur telling me that ur putting my education on hold because the TAs are being greedy? No, i think not. I think they deserve to get snow balls thrown at them. Hell, i would go ahead with the water spraying if i knew where to get waterguns in this weather. If i really wanna go out? what the john tesh, i have a job that i need to attend to, which means taking the bus every single day to get there, why the hell am i suffering because of them? WTH. and actually i do see graduate students whining about walking through the cold to get to the school. besides, its my choice that i want to throw snow balls at them, MY CHOICE, it makes ME feel better. I could care less about how you feel, or whether or not you think its stupid or whatever. it makes ME feel better.

I dont care if walking is good for you, i will walk in spring, when its nice and warm outside. Why should i walk out side in the -20 weather and suffer because of the frickin TAs are greedy pinkberryes?

Guest o1honey

i agree too O_o

no snowballs.. it's not the right thing to do.. you throw it.. and then what happens?

those people might begin to throw snowballs back at you -_-"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gahh.. i can see 09' isn't gonna be the best year for uni =\

I heard the Carlton University (in ottawa) was planning to go on strike too... dont' know if they are.. or will.. but my god.. UofT too?!

If i don't get into University this september due to sudden movements of strike at most universities @ Ontario... i'm not gonna be a happy camper >=[

Guest funkkeh

^ I didn't exactly mean I'd throw snowballs at them. I'm just ranting so I'll feel better. Of course I understand that violence cannot solve anything, but I just feel better after I say I'd like to throw snowballs at them. :3 Everyone's just angry at the fact that we've paid thousand of dollars and can't get a proper education because of the TAs who want to get paid more. Students with a part-time job don't exactly get paid what they want either, and that doesn't give us any right to go on strike. In my opinion, if you want to get paid more, find another job.. work 2 jobs. Professors often work at more than 1 university.. Just let people rant a little bit, it doesn't exactly make us "angry-snowball-throwing-students-who-only-think-of-ourselves"! :x

I think all of us 50,000 students are doing pretty well in dealing with this strike. I mean, we've rallied but we haven't resorted to plain physical violence yet have we?

Guest CANDIEHEARTS

yes. we're all pissed because of the strike!

and i have to go to york 2mrw - _-"""" which i am NOT happy about in the cold!

and it's annoying that we paid for our education but we're not getting educated. ANNOYING!

i think we should find some way of annoying them too!

what you give to others. you get in return. =D

and students have been doing things to TAs striking..haha. XD

i heard someone burnt down one of their hut thingy's where they've been keeping warm.

and someone vandalized another of hut thingy of theirs too.

and they said students were supporting them <_<

All I was saying is that not always blame this Union. And do not use the excuse that your losing money, because I am too. I come from British Columbia. But what is there to really do? I understand you need to vent. However, I can say a lot of people on my residence are tired of it; although, they are tired even venting it. To them its seems such a waste of breathe. It's been since November this thing that started, and I am sure there are people who are really adapted to the fact we have no school.

I understand it is a pain to wait for them. Nonetheless, I have talked to some TA and their tired of it as much as you are. They want it to end, but their union counterparts still want to get what they want. And for them to get what they want, they must show uniformity.

If you feel they are being greedy for what they think they deserve, then so be it. However, I probably find a point in time where you fought for greed. Do not talk about how greedy these people are because they are no different from you. Everyone is equally greedy, it just depends where and when you show it or keep it to yourself. Do not tell me, none of you are greedy cus we all know that's BS. We're all a bunch of selfish people in general; some who actually get what they want in the end, and some who do not.

My general point is: As tiring as this thing is to our lives, its here, we gotta live with it. We are all humans and therefore should treat each other with respect despite our views are different. By using confrontation against something like this, just erupts to more confrontation. It is a vicious cycle which never ends.

My words were not to label you all as selfish-snowballing-students. I just wanted to end this discussion. The more you think about it, the more your gonna get mad, the more you need to vent. There are other ways to vent, like laughing with friends about it - something my floor of my rez does quite often.

P.S. We (the students of York) have already resorted to violence - burning down one of the shelters for the TAs.

Guest Honey_Babee

^ I didn't exactly mean I'd throw snowballs at them. I'm just ranting so I'll feel better. Of course I understand that violence cannot solve anything, but I just feel better after I say I'd like to throw snowballs at them. :3 Everyone's just angry at the fact that we've paid thousand of dollars and can't get a proper education because of the TAs who want to get paid more. Students with a part-time job don't exactly get paid what they want either, and that doesn't give us any right to go on strike. In my opinion, if you want to get paid more, find another job.. work 2 jobs. Professors often work at more than 1 university.. Just let people rant a little bit, it doesn't exactly make us "angry-snowball-throwing-students-who-only-think-of-ourselves"! :x

I think all of us 50,000 students are doing pretty well in dealing with this strike. I mean, we've rallied but we haven't resorted to plain physical violence yet have we?

LOL, exactly. They get paid $60 an hour, and they work 10 hours a week, its not suppose to pay for all of your bills. And theyr complaining about living below the poverty line. <_< just get another job, GAWD

Guest CANDIEHEARTS

wth, TA's at york get $60?

UTSC TA's get like $40 or something...

not all TA's at york get 60$$ only some do.

but yea. i heard york's TA's gets the highest pay compared to like UofT or Ryerson.

I read an article today from the star about this strike... i learnt more about this whole thing in the comments and reviews than the article itself.

What struck me as interesting is that even though they are on strike, students should still continue to study and to be prepared for school when it starts again. Try to turn this around to your advantage, atleast you have the advantage of being more ready by studying so once you get back you are not as screwed.

As of now, i think half the TAs and strikees are tired of the strike, but it's CUPE that wants to vote against the upcomming deal this week. They're now striking for the wrong reasons... what use to be striking for what they stand for and need has turned into a power struggle and to save face (CUPE). CUPE will vote against it because they don't want the other schools to see them as vulnerable to Universities and that they have the power to get what they want in the end (table vis-a-vis bargaining/negotiation session). After all, CUPE wants to lead a good example to UTSG that is threatening to strike since september 2008.

Guest Honey_Babee

wth, TA's at york get $60?

UTSC TA's get like $40 or something...

yeah, which is why we say they shouldnt be so greedy.

not all TA's at york get 60$$ only some do.

but yea. i heard york's TA's gets the highest pay compared to like UofT or Ryerson.

they are THE highest paid TAs in ontario i believe. They do get paid $60 though. since most of them do lead independent classes.

I read an article today from the star about this strike... i learnt more about this whole thing in the comments and reviews than the article itself.

What struck me as interesting is that even though they are on strike, students should still continue to study and to be prepared for school when it starts again. Try to turn this around to your advantage, atleast you have the advantage of being more ready by studying so once you get back you are not as screwed.

As of now, i think half the TAs and strikees are tired of the strike, but it's CUPE that wants to vote against the upcomming deal this week. They're now striking for the wrong reasons... what use to be striking for what they stand for and need has turned into a power struggle and to save face (CUPE). CUPE will vote against it because they don't want the other schools to see them as vulnerable to Universities and that they have the power to get what they want in the end (table vis-a-vis bargaining/negotiation session). After all, CUPE wants to lead a good example to UTSG that is threatening to strike since september 2008.

exactly. but the thing you dont wanna study after such a longggg break. Like with the 2 monthes we had off, i have not done any of my studying. O.o You sort of lose the need to study.. well for me at least. LOL XD

Guest 5imply_5wt

i agree too O_o

no snowballs.. it's not the right thing to do.. you throw it.. and then what happens?

those people might begin to throw snowballs back at you -_-"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gahh.. i can see 09' isn't gonna be the best year for uni =\

I heard the Carlton University (in ottawa) was planning to go on strike too... dont' know if they are.. or will.. but my god.. UofT too?!

If i don't get into University this september due to sudden movements of strike at most universities @ Ontario... i'm not gonna be a happy camper >=[

oh~ carleton too?? wow okay i hope uOttawa is not striking.. cause with the bus strike thing going on. it's already really hard to get to school =="

i understand that it's economic crisis and everyone want to get money.. but what about the money we paid for tuition and stuff like that? we had to earn those money too

Guest funkkeh

My general point is: As tiring as this thing is to our lives, its here, we gotta live with it. We are all humans and therefore should treat each other with respect despite our views are different. By using confrontation against something like this, just erupts to more confrontation. It is a vicious cycle which never ends.

My words were not to label you all as selfish-snowballing-students. I just wanted to end this discussion. The more you think about it, the more your gonna get mad, the more you need to vent. There are other ways to vent, like laughing with friends about it - something my floor of my rez does quite often.

P.S. We (the students of York) have already resorted to violence - burning down one of the shelters for the TAs.

^ It's true, we're all tired of the strike. I mean, it was fun for the first 2 weeks, but then it just started getting out of hand. Sure, everyone gets greedy once in a while; but they're just acting a little bit too selfish. But hey, you're right - the more we think about the situation, the more angry we get. I vent the exact same way you do too - laughing it off.. for the past 2 months. By the way, students have actually burned down one of those shelters?! That's insane.. fire is worse than snowballs! lol :3

It's difficult to get into the mood of studying again after we've been off of school for 2 months? We're all going to be dying once school starts. :( We should totally all get together and do something fun before school starts! lol (:

Archived