Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Joanne <3

A Split For Australia?

Guest Joanne <3

According to ever so reliable Today Tonight, LOL.
A split for Australia

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/4...split-australia

Reporter: Bryan Seymour

Broadcast Date: July 18, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's official. New immigration figures from the Bureau of Statistics show Australia is being split in two.

Migrants from Asia now outnumber those from Europe and New Zealand, while multicultural Australia is now divided by race.

Dr Robert Birrell runs the Centre for Population and Urban Research at Monash University. He's an authority on the subject and he's worried.

"Sydney and Melbourne are diverging from the rest of Australia," said Dr Robert Birrell.

Immigration figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show Asia has now overtaken Europe and New Zealand combined. Almost all new Asian migrants are heading to either Sydney or Melbourne.

"(We now live in) two Australias, because Melbourne and Sydney can be regarded as one Australia where you've got very high proportions of persons born overseas," Dr Birrell said.

"In Sydney, about 40 per cent of all adults are born overseas, in Melbourne it's about just over 30 per cent."

"I don't think facts lie. Australia's population is changing.

"Sydney and Melbourne are diverging from the rest of Australia.

"In the case of Sydney, by far the biggest single source of migrants in recent years is China and in the case of Melbourne it's now India," Dr Birrell added. "We're a nation that's now split."

Between July and December last year 27,623 people arrived here from Asia, while 27,325 arrived from Europe and Oceania, which includes the United Kingdom and New Zealand, where traditionally most new Australians came from.

And here's where they're going: 10,624 Asian settlers chose Sydney, while 9,035 chose Melbourne.

Chinese Malaysians Daniel Chong and his wife Josephine came here with baby boy Timothy last year.

"Well, most of the friends we made here are Asians, Chinese," Daniel said.

"At first, when we come here, our English is not very well, so we tend to join the group of people who talks our own language."

President of the Australian Chinese Community Association in NSW, Lucilla Leung, said new migrants liked Australia's egalitarian roots.

"It is such an open society," she said.

"Everybody is Mr and Mrs average. I think that attracts a lot of people from old culture."

Ms Leung said most Asian migrants were not trying to become "traditional true blue" Aussies.

Asked whether such migrants had a "strong policy of assimilation", she said it was more about integration.

"I don't think so," Ms Leung said. "We have a strong policy of integration."

This grouping together means that in some parts of Sydney and Melbourne, 65 per cent of the adult population is overseas-born.

Under the Howard Government, immigration has doubled to 165,000 per year and rising.

"I don't see diversity in population as a threat in any way to Australia, rather than an opportunity," Voula Messimerri, from the Federation of Ethnic Communities Council of Australia, said.

"Australia is a country of migrants. We accept it and we become, in turn, proud Australians."

Ms Messimerri said migrants, especially those with skills, can only make Australia better and more prosperous.

"Increasingly, we're seeing Perth and Western Australia, because of the mining boom, becoming another satellite for economic prosperity, so I'm not really sure what Mr Birrell is talking about," said Ms Messimerri.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, what a joke... gotta love Today Tonight for the rubbish it serves. :P

yeah! I saw this on tv after school.

They're starting trouble.

They made it sound like Asians come here to overtake the nation, like that speech Pauline Hanson made about Asians in the 90's <_<

Yeah, I found it a bit racist. And how they were practically interrogating those to girls?? Though I don't think it was a smart move to say and asian prime minister would be 'good'. That might start something. =/

Guest Joanne <3

They made it sound like Asians come here to overtake the nation, like that speech Pauline Hanson made about Asians in the 90's <_<

Word. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I found it a bit racist. And how they were practically interrogating those to girls?? Though I don't think it was a smart move to say and asian prime minister would be 'good'. That might start something. =/

I agree, it was wrong of those girls to say something like that... sounded pretty stupid of them. Anyway, the way that he questioned them made it seem as though they were at fault for not knowing what pavlova or Waltzing Maltilda was though.

retards. they're twisting the facts to make it more dramatic

Immigration figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show Asia has now overtaken Europe and New Zealand combined. Almost all new Asian migrants are heading to either Sydney or Melbourne.

"(We now live in) two Australias, because Melbourne and Sydney can be regarded as one Australia where you've got very high proportions of persons born overseas," Dr Birrell said.

"In Sydney, about 40 per cent of all adults are born overseas, in Melbourne it's about just over 30 per cent."

- they said that a high propotion of people are born overseas>> which means inclusive of the 'white' people from nz, england and general europe

- also they said that asia has overtaken in immigration statistics, but didnt say how much of the immigrants contributed to the overall population. and also did not define the region 'asia' << might include the middle eastern countries as well, geographically they are part of the 'asia' region.

- the article also showed the percentages of the people born overseas, but again this includes nz and english people which people on the street could (and most likely would) consider them as 'australian'

"Sydney and Melbourne are diverging from the rest of Australia," said Dr Robert Birrell.

umm, excuse me? sydney and melbourne are the top two largest cities in australia (ie they have the most people>>therefore more urbanised and more job oppourtunities>> people would mainly migrate there), wouldnt it be logical that they overall have more migrants than the rest of the country?

in the article also they asked if migrants adopted the policy of assimilation. look where that policy got aus with the aboriginal people. also australia would not be the multicultrual and free country it is today if migrants adopted the policy of assimilation, intergration is the way to go.

anyway,what im trying to say is this article, today tonight (biased and stupid show), and that random 'expert' form Monash uni (wtf is that?) are opinionated, narrowminded and stupid.

Guest twinkle_l0ve

australia has always been a nation of migrants hasnt it been?

considering convicts migrated from great britain.. so thats counted as migrants isnt it?

its kinda slack how they presented it.. like picking out the asians~

Guest slinkx

OMG YEAH! I was going on about how biased the whole damn story was to my family after that. Dr Robert Birrell ticks me off majorly. A man in his position should present a less biased view on a situation like this ... I mean there are so many different factors that also have to be considered in this situation not just the whole "OMG THE ASIAN ARE TAKING OVER SYDNEY AND MELBOURNE" - -;;.

They're (Today Tonight) just trying to drag up the whole Australian values thing again and it pisses me off. Even their wording was horrible, I know they're known for being controversial and all that but still ... *sigh*.

And another thing, to be fair they didn't even interview anybody of Indian descent, and the two chinese girls they interviewed, well the voice he used ... it seemed a tad bit threatening and judgemental. Totally unfair.

Really when it all boils down to it, its more or less the same thing that the "true blue" Aussies used to say about the Europeans migrating back in the day.

........................... There's so much more I want to say, but then it doesn't really make sense when I type it out. It just frustrates me so much that this kind of thing is being said in this day and age, and will continue to be said in the future. *rants on*

Guest material_girl

today tonight is a neoconservative, white supremacist show that sees a very particular, narrow vision for australia. apart from this report, they've also had some other ones promoting the romantic 'coloniser' and hard-working australian farmers and diggers image, while constructing a negative image for migrants. one word - ratings.

Guest fuugi

yeh..the word RACIST was going thru my head as i read that.

tt is just a gay show full stop.

i rememebr this other ep they did once about how asians were taking over places in selective schools because they studied over 10hrs each wk or soemthing..and went to tutoring etc. like..>HELLO. mayb they get in cos they working hard for it.

Guest cee.jay

I forgot to watch this on the news but i saw the ad and my jaw dropped and i was so shocked, it was so racist!

I must agree with Messimerri!

Its outrageous the way their presenting this.

):

Guest Fifi

Aha. I saw this news report on Today Tonight... fascinating how they just had to pick the asian race and compare them to europeans/new zealanders. Seriously, are we a big threat to the country? They said there's more chinese in sydney and more indians in melbourne. So what... Anyway, there was some other report... about asians taking over jobs in australia... and because of our low unemployment rate that they'll be able to take over jobs.

Ugh, at least we're bringing up the population...

Guest green.lollipops!

yeah i watched it, the whole time i was like :fury: :fury: :fury:

today tonight always makes things out bigger then they really are

bias bastards!

talk about being a "multicultural" country, they obviously don't seem to be approving of that.

Guest ♫REESE

Today Tonight is stupid.

I don't see why they have to view this as a negative instead of a positive.

Migration just shows that Australia is a kick richard simmons country,

although more than 70% of the country is a hole, lol. ;D

"We're a nation that's now split."

My richard simmons... What's split?

Our sanity?

Australia is a nation based on migration.

In fact, migrants make up Australia.

Don't like it? GTFO!

Guest A.Wesker

hahahh its tt, they never have anything to cover... :) then the cantong ad pops up hahah + bing lee add GOLD :) just gold

I just watched the segment off the site, did you notice that when they were talking about asians, they showed parts of cabramatta? Stupid arseholes, why don't you go show parts of Penrith, theres like no effing asians there at all and thats in Sydney!

--Kathy

Guest Raindeer

today tonight is stupid, so is a current affair... nuff said

Guest Golden Zeta Gundam

im guessing this is a small start to balance the racism against Muslims and Lebanese...

im also guessing theyre trying to start another LA Attack when americans picked on Koreans for taking over jobs

this is just a theory , not a true source

if they dont want us taking over , then dont expect business oppurtunities with Australia from Asia

Australia is trying to make itself an Asian country for this..

I just watched the segment off the site, did you notice that when they were talking about asians, they showed parts of cabramatta? Stupid arseholes, why don't you go show parts of Penrith, theres like no effing asians there at all and thats in Sydney!

--Kathy

theres quite a few there really , cause theres a UWS Campus there

Also , im gunna sound racist here to , but who isnt(your effing lying if you say your not)

id seriously prefer immigrants coming in from Asia(as in our Asia) then... lets say , the middle east :)

Also , asians are probably the only immigrants that can adapt to a white society faster then others(just when it comes to English.. not so much)

you wont get much middle easterners or sub-continents(curries) in a Private school , especially when most are Christian or Cathaolic schools

sorry if i have offended anyone , i know i probably have , correct me if any points are wrong either , this all came from the top of my head and NO i didnt watch the show , only read whats there

Guest monchichi

retards. they're twisting the facts to make it more dramatic

- they said that a high propotion of people are born overseas>> which means inclusive of the 'white' people from nz, england and general europe

- also they said that asia has overtaken in immigration statistics, but didnt say how much of the immigrants contributed to the overall population. and also did not define the region 'asia' << might include the middle eastern countries as well, geographically they are part of the 'asia' region.

- the article also showed the percentages of the people born overseas, but again this includes nz and english people which people on the street could (and most likely would) consider them as 'australian'

umm, excuse me? sydney and melbourne are the top two largest cities in australia (ie they have the most people>>therefore more urbanised and more job oppourtunities>> people would mainly migrate there), wouldnt it be logical that they overall have more migrants than the rest of the country?

in the article also they asked if migrants adopted the policy of assimilation. look where that policy got aus with the aboriginal people. also australia would not be the multicultrual and free country it is today if migrants adopted the policy of assimilation, intergration is the way to go.

anyway,what im trying to say is this article, today tonight (biased and stupid show), and that random 'expert' form Monash uni (wtf is that?) are opinionated, narrowminded and stupid.

You said it girl!! *clap*clap*

Couldn't have said it better myself. Perhaps we should all get together and write a very long letter to TT with complaints.

i saw this ad and i was like "racist people"... >"<

not worth of watching!!! can't they jsut accept that we ARE a multicultural country and accept the fact that we asians also reside here!! >"<

I swear, they are lookin for complaints!!>"<

Guest STEPHOO--

ffs, they don't need to be racist in order to gain television ratings. That's a bit desperate !!