[Short Dramas] Drama City 드라마시티 Drama Special

creidesca

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also watch Drama City on KBS World every Friday night and they show it with english subs...it even has re-runs on Sundays...I remember watching a particular Drama City episode last Sunday titled "Ms. Flower" (I'm not sure about the title though but the story is about a little girl who visits her grandmother to take revenge because her mother died since the grandmother really wanted her daughter to visit her...since then the little girl has become naughty and does nasty antics to her grandmother and aunt...even writing a revenge diary every night! but then she realizes that her mother has the same characteristics as she does when she was young, and eventually the little girl realizes that the grandmother was not that bad to her mother after all...

• 4 weeks later...

Drama City "My Beautiful Friend" Low Quality

from PD Jun Chang Geun & writer Kim Ji Woo of Resurrection/Rebirth/Revenge

aired 03-18-06

avail @ my CB: http://clubbox.co.kr/creidesca

review from twitchfilm.net written by x, regarding the above Drama City:

(BEAUTIFUL?) FRIENDS

Ever stopped a moment to think about your friends? No, I don't mean schoolmates from college, work colleagues or new acquaintances. I mean those people you grew up with, shared tragedies and immense joy with, those who always walked that road along with you. Kim Ji-Woo's latest Dramacity special 나의 아름다운 친구 (My Beautiful Friend) tackles this subject in such an honest way, even its predictable setup is easy to forgive. And if you watch it after 부활 (Rebirth), which comes from the same pen and same assistant director (Jeon Chang-Geun, who's PD here), then it ties up nicely with the same kind of narrative structure of the shocker from 2005. We're presented with an event, the characters involved with it are thrown in the mix, then through the course of the Drama (in this case a single episode instead of 24) the issues connected to that event are expanded and delved into. Using a mix of flashbacks (and flashbacks within flashbacks too) and present time, Kim slowly draws us into the reasons why this event happened, and we gradually get to know how each and every character will react to it.

Lee Jae-Ho (Park Dong-Bin) is a team manager of a big company, nearing promotion. His wife, who escaped to Australia with the kids, thinks he's merely a money-machine, and barely talks to him; Park Sang-Gu (Kim Soo-Hyun) is a journalist who's finally enjoying the popularity he always wanted, promoted to announcer on the evening news. Although his life seems pretty normal, with a wife and kids, he hides something behind his 'realist' facade; Ahn Dong-Pal (Jo Myung-Yeon) is the President of a venture company. He looks like your average, down-to-earth businessman, but he's actually a very selfish, opportunistic man. The three not only share a long lasting friendship in common, but the death of one of their best friends, Kang Chan-Shik (Choi Deok-Moon). As the investigation progresses and more details are revealed, everyone tries to blame each other, suspecting their friends for what happened.

That's the basic setup. But while the investigation -- led by Rebirth alumni Jo Jae-Hwan (Secretary Ahn in the 2005 show, much more rugged and 'everyday Joe' here) and Lee Han-Wi (Im Dae-Shik in Rebirth) -- goes on, instead of simply showing us all the hints adding pieces to the puzzle which will reveal the culprit's identity, writer Kim explores the relationships between those friends, using flashbacks from their recent past and even their childhood. We learn, for example, that Chan-Shik used to be the richest kid in school, but then went through many problems and ended up in the sad state he was when he met them again 10 years later -- which in some ways explains the 'reluctance' shown by the three 'best friends' in helping him; but the most emotionally hit by all this is Jae-Ho, who really felt close to Chan-Shik, and tried his best to help him. Through the few moments they shared before his death, he understands the value of that kind of friendship. The way Kim deals with money crashing that sense of 'friendship' is one of the most mature I've seen on a Korean Drama, not going overboard with the sentiments but also subtly interlocking the conflicting sentiments that arise when an old friend comes knocking at your door after a decade, asking for money. And when you realize things aren't like they used to be, for both.

I think I'm falling in love with Kim Ji-Woo's writing style. I still have a little catching up to do with her older Dramacity shows, and I'd love to refresh my memory on some of her past TV Dramas via new, shiny DVD releases, but her ability to capture the emotional consequences of the plot developments within her work is impressive. Sure, once again it's nothing you haven't seen before, but it's dealt with intelligence, not making Chan-Shik a saint or necessarily pointing fingers at his friends more than they deserve, as if they were 'devils'. Again, the biggest emotional and thematic undertone of her work seem to be that fine line between 'good' and 'bad' we found in Rebirth, simply divided by the desire to have more. And, just like in the 2005 Drama, the moments of bonding between characters are incredibly emotional. That last scene might very likely remind you of the last moment in Park Chan-Wook's 공동경비구역 JSA (Joint Security Area), as it has the same disarming power. It might just be that element of freshness coming when you pick up a show again after avoiding it for a few months, but this is the second Dramacity out of three I enjoy quite a bit, and again the reason could go down to casting.

Playing a slightly less 'crazy' character is nothing new for Kim Soo-Hyun, a regular of Ryu Seung-Wan films (often playing sneaky, cruel characters in his films), as he showed his range in films like 천군 (Heaven's Soldiers), but it's nice seeing him play a 'normal' person. Although Sang-Gu might easily fall into 'baddie du jour' mode, Kim gives it a realistic shade, enough to make you understand his motivations, if not completely sympathize with him. Also, it's nice seeing Park Dong-Bin play a serious role showing off his acting skills, after playing bit roles (often painted with broad strokes, especially in his many Weekend and Daily Dramas). But it's Choi Deok-Moon who steals the show. One of the top names in the theater world of Daehak-Ro, Choi often plays vicious or sneaky characters, like in Kim Ki-Duk's 나쁜남자 (Bad Guy), but he gives a very subtle performance here, without resorting to the Drama King gymnastics of Kang Seok-Woo in melo mode, or Jung Bo-Seok in some of his early melodramas. But even though PD Jeon shows a capable hand in dealing with the 16:9 HD format, with intelligent camerawork and the usual interesting use of lighting, the star here is Kim Ji-Woo.

It's impressive how many details she packed in just a 60 Minutes show, defining the characters in very simple but effective ways. And when it's time to pull heartstrings, she does so with sincerity, as the scenes in the characters' childhood show. I don't know why I ignored an immense talent like her for years, but now it's pretty obvious. Look out for this writer, she's too good to miss. And this is an excellent show, not just by Dramacity standards. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in my year end Top 10.

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005790.html

2004 Drama City episode entitled "I Love H, He, Li..." HQ

starring Cheon Jung Myung & Bin

sdfs7rx.jpg

dsfsd4ru.jpg

Previously, I provided an ENG HARDSUBBED version, but it was an edited version

because the station airing the eng subbed version was notorious for cutting out scenes to fit the allotted timeslot.

This is a RAW unedited/uncut version, and ENG soft subs will be provided later

• 3 weeks later...
Guest packet85

thanks to creidesca for all your efforts for Drama City! awesome!

am hoping someone will translate Oh Sarah for all of us here... :)

now... does anyone have the info on Kim Jung Hoon's episode? THANK YOU!

• 2 weeks later...

Martial arts-Comedy Drama City episode

"Booyong of Mt. Kyeryong" (8-6-05)

High Quality + ENG SOFT SUBS

starring Min Ji Hye [beijing My Love], Lee Min Ki [Really Really Like You]

h9aa.jpg

g4bs.jpg

major translations provided by KBS World

minor translations provided by purpletiger86

transcript provided by blossom

edited & timed by creidesca

avail @ my CB:

http://clubbox.co.kr/creidesca

catch the Drama City episode that paved the way for Lee Minki's future bodyguard role in

Rainbow Romance & Really Really Like You

Action-comedy Drama City episode "Oh! Sarah"

High Quality

dram6eh.jpg

"Oh! Sarah" is Lee Minki's 2nd Drama City, aired on KBS in Jan 2005. The writer is Park Ji Suk (known for the acclaimed Drama City aired in 2004, "Blue Skies of Jeju Island"). The PD is Kim Kyu Tae (known for the very same "Blue Skies of Jeju Island" Drama City episode, which starred Uhm Tae Woong, and recently A Love to Kill). Minki, that year, was nominated for his role in "Oh! Sarah" and another Drama City episode in the One-Episode/Special Drama category at the KBS 2005 Drama Awards.

The cast of "Oh! Sarah" consists of aspiring/upcoming actors/actresses:

Lee Minki, who starred as the brother-in-law to title character Geum-soon in the 2005 hit MBC daily drama "Be Strong Geum-soon", and soon to be airing 2006 weekend drama "Really, Really Like You" with Eugene for MBC.

Na Yoon, whom many have become familiarized with through the 2005 KBS drama "A Love to Kill" as Bongku's roommate.

Seo Do Young, who took part in the hit 2004-2005 KBS drama "Emperor of the Sea" and is currently the lead of the 2006 KBS drama "Spring Waltz."

Yoo In Young, "Ja-kyung" in the 2005 KBS drama "Loveholic" starring Kangta.

Ahn Nae Sang, "Shinhyeok" and "Ganghyeok"/"Haeun"'s father in the 2005 mania drama "Resurrection" and Sang-young's manager in "18 vs. 29."

Others in "Oh! Sarah" include: Park Shin Ma (supposedly he either guest starred or had a role in MBC Non Stop 5), Jeon Do Young, and Nam Chang Hee

I'll be timing subs for the above Drama City episode next =)

• 1 month later...

Drama City episode

"Teacher Jo Goes to Juvenile Detention" (5-9-04) HQ

starring Yoon Ji Won, Um Sung Mo [Goong/Palace],

Jung Kyung Ho [sorry I Love You; My Sweetheart, My Darling]

Choi Jae Hwan [Taerung's National Village, Dirty Carnival/Mean Streets]

Lee Young Joon, Go Kyu Pil, Go Jung Min, Kim Yoon Hee, and others

dcity9dy.jpg

• 1 month later...

Credits to:

Translator: purpletiger86@soompi.com

Spot Translation and QC: teal@soompi.com

Timers: innerouter2000, victory@WITHS2

Encoder, Final QC: seirin@WITHS2

Coordinators: seirin, mily2@WITHS2

snapshot20060730200958wi8.jpg

Drama City Ep.234-What Should I Do (11-07-040).wmv (LQ - 160mb - hardsub)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L1AAPCMJ

Drama City Ep.234-What Should I Do.avi (HQ - 700mb - hardsub)

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/seirin/g6in8

Drama City Ep.234-What Should I Do 350.avi (MQ - 350mb - hardsub)

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/seirin/h6in8

Drama City Ep.234-What Should I Do (11-07-040).srt (soft sub)

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/seirin/edin8

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=45GAKEHL

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a61wql

Drama City Ep.234-What Should I Do (11-07-04).avi (raw)

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/seirin/gv968

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chouah

Does anyone have Kim Jung Hoon's drama? The title has something like...The town street of fog? or its also called maximum distance??? Anyways help would be great because I've been looking for ages for it. Thanks....

Guest mz.LA

just wondering if anyone has the drama city "massage" starring kim jung hwa...

it's pretty old--but just hoping ya'know :P

X's newest (and glowing) review: Gwija's Story

(Hope somebody decides to sub it. ^_^)

oh that one was good! I was just watching it yesterday, while deciding which Drama Cities I wanted to upload to my CB.

hello! does anyone has the subs to the Drama City epi "Massage" starring kim jung hwa?..it aired on 2004 i think sept 12?!...if u do can u help me out please!!! thanks! :D

you cand find that on my CB.

Guest ahn_annann

hello creidesca....

I'm downding Oh! sarah... of coz, I'm interested with Seo Do Young, Spring Waltz

now, it's stop at 59%..... OMG ! what happend ??

hope it run soon...

>>> anyway thank you so much for your clubbox <<

Archived