Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest erure

Car Ran Over Glass Bottle -0-

Guest erure

I'm at my college summer dorms for summer sessions and I came home from the library in my car around 9pm... It was pretty dark... Well some idiot threw away a glass bottle in the middle of the parking lot and I didn't see it and my car's right tires ran right over the thing, making a loud pop noise while the bottle pretty much shattered into a million pieces. I freaked out and just stopped right there because I didn't know what happened and then I went, parked, and got outside to see what happened... So my tires ran over the glass bottle and it broke and I'm worried that it did something to the tires... The tire pressures are okay (so far anyway)... My dad said that car tires are stronger than I think and that it's fine and I don't need to do anything about it but I would feel better if I got it looked at... So should I or am I just being a worrywart? :sweatingbullets: Thank you >___<//

p.s. If I did take it in for repair should I go to an auto shop or should I go to an Acura dealer?... Sorry I really don't have a clue ._. The car is an Acura TSX by the way...

Guest boost

daddy knows best... listen to him.

Guest youngnottheold1

if the pressure is fine there is nothing to worry about. Buy yourself something to test the pressure (if you dont have one already) and check sometimes if it'll give you peace of mind.

Guest Laxntiga

I wonder where that term came from "worry wart".... do you really get warts if you worry? lol

Guest Chioster

Tires are strong enough to withstand pretty much anything other then sharp nails. The popping noise is because of the glass breaking all at once. If you feel the tire could be puncture. Scan the tire finding anything that looks like a puncture and use a needle nose plyer and ply it out seeing if air will come out.

Guest erure

if the pressure is fine there is nothing to worry about. Buy yourself something to test the pressure (if you dont have one already) and check sometimes if it'll give you peace of mind.

Okay... The information panel on the dashboard says that the tire pressures are okay so I'll believe it. Thank you for all the replies >_<

Guest panda

recycling glass is not sharp/strong enough to puncture tire rubber. you're fine.

Guest FusionGT2

The tires would only really get punctured if the bottle had already been broken and large shards of glass were all over the place and happened to lodge itself into your tire. even then it could possibly be repaired. The only way a tire cannot be repaired, so i heard, is if the tire was punctured from the sidewall. Or if the tire blew up...

Guest kelvin6

Tires are very tough, because they have to sustain harsh roads, heat, and me kicking the crap out of them when i'm having a bad day...

Glass is nothing to the tire, and because it basically exploded into small pieces is a good thing because there are no shards, and even if there was it will not puncture the tire. Screws and nails are the dangerous ones (I should also mention pot holes).

If you are concerned about tire pressure, invest in a small and cheap tire gauge which can be bought for $2-6 and learn to do it yourself.

Just be warned, a car's tire pressure monitoring (its only point is warn the driver when a tire is dangerously low, which is very low already) is only accurate to a certain degree (I think 2+/- PSI) and having a 2 PSI difference isn't dangerous, but enough to affect ride quality and fuel economy on certain tire sizes. Also know how to check your own tire pressure and know how much to comphensate if the tire is warm/hot (which will occur if you drive it around). Typically its about 4PSI more than what is written on the tire pressure label near your driver door. That label is for tire pressure on a cold morning and the tires cold and not driven (and on level ground).

Guest darling

Tires are strong enough to withstand pretty much anything other then sharp nails. The popping noise is because of the glass breaking all at once. If you feel the tire could be puncture. Scan the tire finding anything that looks like a puncture and use a needle nose plyer and ply it out seeing if air will come out.

Off topic, but I never noticed Leah in your sig.. Love that girl (:

Back on.. Yup like everyone said, your tires should be fine since it was just a glass bottle.

Guest papasmurf

daddy knows best... listen to him.

hahaha that sounded funny for some reason...DADDY knows best......PUHAAHA but anyways yeah it should be fine =]

Guest ghost

Edit...haha i'm so lazy I didn't even realize someone already said the answer :lol:

-------------------------------------------

get it right, Its HOGAN KNOWS BEST B)

anyways...

Glass will shatter when run over which causes it to be crushed to many many small pieces.

Now in order for a tire to be damaged the way you think is it needs to be punctured

For example, If you drive over pointed ice the car is fine, but if you drive over a nail then it will most likely penetrate the tire

Glass is sharp, but it won't hold up to the point that it will cause significant damage.

SO long story short, You are fine :D