So Ji Sub 소지섭 - Best Korean Actor & Rapper -

sojisubaddicted

Guest damifino

I just finished "Ghost."  I was half looking forward to and half sort of dreading watching this because as an avid viewer of US crime dramas, I'm at a point where there isn't much that surprises me in terms of storylines and plot twists and I know how weak Korean crime dramas can be. 

I saw "Sign" which was another drama that the writer of "Ghost" Kim Eun Hee wrote and I must admit that I was a bit disappointed in that drama.  Even though I watch pretty much everything that Park Shin Yang does (he along with Kim Myung Min and So Ji Sub are pretty much the only Korean actors that I have faith in terms of acting that I would watch whatever they do), it was one of his weaker dramas IMO.  The storyline was a little amateurish and something always seemed off and it didn't help that the actress who was playing the "nemesis" (the same actress who played the modern day Cha Hee Joo in TMS) is a one-note actress.

In some aspects, I felt the same with "Ghost" in terms of the storyline and the whole "Face Off" thing... I mean, if any man could get their face re-created to like SJS, who wouldn't, right?!?!.  Also, the whole vaccine program thing was straight out of the Sandra Bullock movie "The Net."  But I must say, I was more glued to my seat for the next episode in "Ghost" than I was for "Sign," maybe because of SJS, maybe because the villain was a better actor than in "Sign", maybe because I'm more interested in computers than CSI type of thing, who knows.  But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole drama. 

My only wish was that they had gotten a different actress as the female lead.  It was really annoying how they had to keep mentioning that she was an uljjang for no apparent reason other than to explain why someone as pretty as Lee Yeon Hee was working as a cop, I guess.  I really don't mind Lee Yeon Hee in general, but for this type of genre, I thought she was a bit weak in the role.  If there were some sort of romance, she might have come across better, but some of her line deliveries were a bit odd and her facial reactions were strange.  I LOVE LOVE LOVED crazy cow and the relationship between SJS's character and him.  The other side actors were all really good too (with the minor exception of G.O., but that's to be expected with idols, I guess).  Seriously, the acting more than anything carried this drama off.  Of course, SJS looking the hottest in here didn't hurt either :P

You guys make me want to re-watch Ghost, again! *sigh*
I remember the first time i saw him in Ghost, I felt like all the oxygen in the world suddenly fades from existence! He's so breathtakingly handsome and sexyy. He didn't need to loosen any of his buttons but still look hot as fire... 
I watched Ghost several months ago but still can't help sobbing every time i see Kim Woo Hyun 

13015510825_5a64bfb26b_o.png

13015901464_aaf7f1412c_o.jpg

13015678703_b9f1dc56e7_o.jpg

13015506255_3b4d3cbcd0_o.jpg

13025497405_d1612e66c1_o.jpg
13025516505_82c2cb7733_b.jpg
13025259715_db27496eba_b.jpg
13025647884_ce35d1fc44_b.jpg
Cre as tagged

=((

Guest sara62

I've watched ghost a few months ago and somehow agree with @damifino in case of the story line and the female lead. I haven't watched many crime investigating dramas or movies as I'm more interested in classic type of crime investigating books and my fave is Sherlock Holmes. (Not the one in modern setting of course) 
The story line was somehow new and fresh to me. As I'd never seen any k-drama with cyber crime theme, hacking, internet and computer. It's been always my favorite to see hackers sitting in front of their computers, pressing few buttons and that's it. The whole earth is in danger. Still,I couldn't find a direct link between few first parts of the story and the other parts. The whole "phantom of opera" and the crime happening at the school things didn't seem to be related to the story-line. Although I loved it. The phantom of Opera OST is quite cool, mysterious and gives you goosebumps.
As for the female lead, LYH not only is not suitable for the role appearance-wise, but her character is weak and is just used as a tool for making a male-oriented drama a bit womanly. The same with the two female reporters. In general, I think there aren't many K-actresses who can pull off such a difficult role acting and appearance wise. Maybe just Ha Ji Won, Kim Suna and Jianna Jun. But for this drama, I was fully satisfied seeing the female lead is not in the center and more importantly in love with the male lead. I've seen in lots of K-dramas ( for example East of Eden with Seung Seung Hun and Lee Yun Hee) that the girls do nothing but being an obstacle who make the male frustrated, put him in danger, cause his death, being taken hostage, cry, are in need and the only thing they give him is a hug and a kiss. What I liked about the female character was that she never was an obstacle. Keeping a good distance with him, she tried to be loyal to Kim Woohyun and not fall in love with Park Giyoung. That was one of her strengths.
I also soooo loved the crazy cow and KWH/PGY interactions. Both him and Sonick are great actors. So you enjoy watching them together. Sonick's acting as two different characters makes the drama as one of my favorites. Kim Woohyun is not a central character because he dies early in the story. But Sonick 's acting makes the viewers think about him and feel him through the story. His KWH/PGY are portrayed so beautifully and delicately different that when KWH dies in the explosion scene, I felt my longing for his character till the end. I even felt my share of sadness for him. "Why he should die, gets injured at least once in his dramas?" I wondered. He's the Alain Delon of Korea.
Ultimately, I don't seem to get enough of So Ji Sub. Here someon is dying of her love for him. Soooo love him.

damifino said: I just finished "Ghost."  I was half looking forward to and half sort of dreading watching this because as an avid viewer of US crime dramas, I'm at a point where there isn't much that surprises me in terms of storylines and plot twists and I know how weak Korean crime dramas can be. 

I saw "Sign" which was another drama that the writer of "Ghost" Kim Eun Hee wrote and I must admit that I was a bit disappointed in that drama.  Even though I watch pretty much everything that Park Shin Yang does (he along with Kim Myung Min and So Ji Sub are pretty much the only Korean actors that I have faith in terms of acting that I would watch whatever they do), it was one of his weaker dramas IMO.  The storyline was a little amateurish and something always seemed off and it didn't help that the actress who was playing the "nemesis" (the same actress who played the modern day Cha Hee Joo in TMS) is a one-note actress.

In some aspects, I felt the same with "Ghost" in terms of the storyline and the whole "Face Off" thing... I mean, if any man could get their face re-created to like SJS, who wouldn't, right?!?!.  Also, the whole vaccine program thing was straight out of the Sandra Bullock movie "The Net."  But I must say, I was more glued to my seat for the next episode in "Ghost" than I was for "Sign," maybe because of SJS, maybe because the villain was a better actor than in "Sign", maybe because I'm more interested in computers than CSI type of thing, who knows.  But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole drama. 

My only wish was that they had gotten a different actress as the female lead.  It was really annoying how they had to keep mentioning that she was an uljjang for no apparent reason other than to explain why someone as pretty as Lee Yeon Hee was working as a cop, I guess.  I really don't mind Lee Yeon Hee in general, but for this type of genre, I thought she was a bit weak in the role.  If there were some sort of romance, she might have come across better, but some of her line deliveries were a bit odd and her facial reactions were strange.  I LOVE LOVE LOVED crazy cow and the relationship between SJS's character and him.  The other side actors were all really good too (with the minor exception of G.O., but that's to be expected with idols, I guess).  Seriously, the acting more than anything carried this drama off.  Of course, SJS looking the hottest in here didn't hurt either :P

Guest sirius51

Woow...this thread sure moves quickly, which make me so happy :) Wouldn't complain about all the delicious pics of him. Those pics are soo hot, I'm afraid my screen would burn.

Talking about Ghost and mad cow and like @chakita babe pointed out, the two starred together in "The Company Man", which I'll try to watch in the next day. This is probably the only SJS film that I can buy directly from amazon. I'm happy I don't have to go that long route to watch him. While searching the internet for The Company Man, I came across this article. Don't know if you've read it, but I'm gonna cut it a bit, cos it's quite long.

A Company Man Review

August 26, 2013 Isaac Feldberg

The Korean revenge thriller is a tried-and-true subgenre of modern action cinema. Movies like Oldboy and The Man from Nowhere aim to entertain and shock at the same time, with a mix of brutal fight sequences and clever narrative tricks designed to keep audiences on their toes. While A Company Man, the most recent entry in the subgenre, never reaches the same emotional heights as those instant classics, its set-up and action sequences are just about intriguing and inventive enough to make it worth watching.

A Company Man opens with a bang, as protagonist Hyeong-do (So Ji-Sub) casually discusses work with his colleague, the less-experienced Ra-Hoon (Kim Dong-Joon), before entering a building and calmly gunning down the people inside. It’s an appalling sequence, but one that sets the tone for the cold professionalism that Hyeong-do and Ra-Hoon live by – for them, assassination is just business as usual. Though they report to cubicles and answer to loud-mouthed bosses day after day, all of the employees at Hyeong-do’s ‘company’ are actually ruthless contract killers.

Though one of the best and brightest in the workplace, Hyeong-do is dissatisfied with such a brutal lifestyle. Rapidly tiring of what he sees as a dead-end job, Hyeong-do wishes for a way out of the company, away from a line of work which haunts him more with every waking moment. When he meets single mother Yoo Su-Yeon (Lee Mi-Yeon), Hyeong-do can finally imagine a future without the company, and quits. However, his employers see any retiree as a loose end and immediately send their best assassins after him. Backed into a corner and stripped of all other options, Hyeong-do unleashes a furious wave of vengeance on his former employers, determined to bring the entire company to its knees.

[...]

The other aspect of A Company Man that really works is its action. Under the keen eye of writer/director Lim Sang-Yoon, the film pulls off some truly audacious shots that send the audience hurtling over railings, through bullet holes in car roofs, and under a hail of gunfire, to name a few. Even the less inventive shots are exhilarating to watch, mostly because of Lim’s relentlessly furious pace. So and Kim are also both more-than-capable action stars, racing through the fight scenes at breakneck speeds and with an unflappable coolness that must have taken a lot of time and energy to master.

Unfortunately, A Company Man can’t maintain the same momentum during its dialogue-driven scenes, which are a surprisingly large chunk of the movie. Though So is terrific as the conflicted contract killer with a heart of gold, communicating countless emotions with a single glance, the film’s story of revenge is too derivative to stand the weight of supporting players who fail to convince us of much at all. No one else is even close to So’s level, and the film suffers in scenes where Lee or Kwak Do-Won (playing Hyeong-do’s loathsome boss Kwon Jong-tae) are called upon to act against or alongside him. They’re simply not up to the challenge, and so A Company Man repeatedly stagnates when it should excite.

[...]

With a more interesting storyline and better supporting actors to pair with its terrific action sequences and emotive leading man, A Company Man could have been more than half of a great movie. As it stands, the film is a perfectly serviceable entry in the Korean revenge thriller subgenre, but one that could have clearly been so much more. It's a movie that hits its target and can't quite manage the bullseye.

source: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/a-company-man-review/

I'll have to check it myself to see whether this review did the film justice. But I'm just happy that I'm actually not being bias toward SJS :D. He is indeed a superb actor. I read some other reviews about The Company Man and in all of the reviews, he always get postive review.

I watched Ghost up until episode 5 before I stopped. I was meant to catch up with it later, if I have some more time. But those first 5 episodes weren't that great. I don't know, maybe I just need to give it some time, until the real story kick in.I'll catch up with ghost, I definitely will, for all the love I feel for SJS :D

Guest sirius51

efesun said: Watch the trailer below and tell me if it seems familiar to you.

Yes, it's the turkish adaptation of SJS's Always. In theaters on March, 14.
Just saw it on tv.

Guest damifino

chakita babe said: These two also starred alongside each other in "The Company Man'...so their affiliation and friendship stems from a few years ago possibly why their chemistry is absolutely fantastic....sigh!

Guest sara62

When I watched "A company man" rather than getting amazed by the movie's great action scenes, I was drawn into the story and Hyung do's character. He is an ordinary, really an ordinary company man who's doomed to suffer from his own choice of life. He wears suit with a necktie to keep his neat appearance. He even carries a bag and carefully irons his few white shirts. But inside, he's empty. The writer displays the contrast between his inner and outer side by showing his empty home vs his neat appearance. He doesn't feel any hope, love, color and warmness. So his world is lonely and dark. But we can see unlike the others in that line of work he still has some human emotions. And awaking those emotions changes his fate. I loved that the movie was about the subtle feelings, small hopes and little things which keep people alive and happy unless they feel so lonely and it might lead them to live a life they even don't like. But the dark point is that people even don't know they are living in darkness and are used to their way of life. Hyung do realizes this too late. But still the movie finishes with this note that "there's still hope in your life, if your choices are right."
14_BOX7635.jpg