So Ji Sub 소지섭 - Best Korean Actor & Rapper -

sojisubaddicted

July 18, 2017

So Ji-sub finds out how to be fierce :

Actor plays street fighter unafraid to stir trouble in ‘The Battleship Island’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

17212650.jpg

Director Ryoo Seung-wan’s latest film, “The Battleship Island,” which is set to hit theaters next week, is a historical drama that tells the tale of Korean laborers and their desperate attempts to escape the coal mines on Japan’s Hashima Island, where they were forced to work during the Japanese colonization. It is said that the shape of Hashima Island resembles a warship, where weapons and items needed for war were stored. 

The film, with a star-studded cast featuring Hwang Jung-min, Song Joong-ki and Lee Jung-hyun, is set in 1945 and revolves around the lives of Korean laborers on the island whose goal was to not die in prison. Actor So Ji-sub plays the role of Choi Chil-sung, a street fighter famous in Gyeongseong who stirs up trouble in the labor camp. In an interview with Magazine M, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, So revealed his thoughts about the last six months he spent shooting this film and more. Below are edited excerpts from the interview. 

Q. I heard you decided to do this film even before reading the script. 

A. Director Ryoo has suggested a role for me in his movies for several years but I turned those down for various reasons. So I thought that if I were to turn this chance down, then I don’t think I would ever have had the chance to work with him again. 

When you met director Ryoo, what was he like in person?

He is a director who is totally crazy about movies. I also try my best in acting, but not to the scale Ryoo is at. I receive positive energy from him and he makes me look back at whether I have really immersed myself in a certain role before. 

17212813.jpg
Top is the poster of filmmaker Ryoo Seung-wan’s historic drama “The Battleship Island,” which tells the tale of the tragic lives of Korean laborers on Hashima Island, where So Ji-sub plays the role of Chil-sung. [CJ ENTERTAINMENT]

What did you think when you first read the script?

I wondered how I would be able to play this role (laughs). The difficulty resulting from the weight of a historic subject, and also the expectation for financial success was really burdensome. I think the same goes for the director, actors and the crew. 

It is hard to pinpoint the personality of your character Chil-sung. 

I think the character that the viewers feel empathy for is Kang-ok, played by Hwang Jung-min, and my character Chil-sung is just a person who resides on the island. I think he is easily noticed because of his bold and strong personality. I had a hard time playing him since he sometimes looks clumsy, but he sometimes behaves badly. I think Chil-sung is the kind of person who doesn’t like to lose.

In the movie’s trailer, it looks like there are a lot of action scenes in the movie.

There is an action scene in a sauna that I had to practice for about a month and a half for - that scene [especially] shows the personality of Chil-sung. 

Looking back, it seems like you have never played a fierce role like Chil-sung before.

In real life, I don’t talk or act fast. When I act, rather than just bursting out my feelings, I try to suppress them. Chil-sung is the kind of character who is very energetic and eager, that the director even wanted me to talk faster. 

I think you have worked without really caring about what other people think of you. 

Well, I am also a person, so I sometimes care about how other people think of me. I think there is a lot that the public expects from actors, so you have to have good manners and speak fluently. I needed something through which I could relieve that stress. 

It has been nine years since you established your own agency, 51k. Tell us what that has been like. 

Back then, I had some trouble related to agencies and decided that I would never be part of an agency again. So, I gathered some people that I trust and established my own company. We are doing a variety of works, including producing and importing movies, and also publishing. 

Isn’t it rare for an actor to be importing movies?

I don’t do it by myself; I work together with an importing company. If there is a movie that the company imported that I like, then I tell the company that I want to pay the import and distribution costs. 

Do you feel like something has changed compared to your life in your 20s and 30s?

I don’t think things have changed now that I am in my 40s. I am a bit blunt, and it takes me some time for me to get close to someone. As I work, I got better at communicating with other people.

You seem to have an unwavering personality. 

Maybe that is the reason why a lot of people near me tell me their personal feelings to me. I am the type of a friend that lasts for a long time.

Is there a goal that you desperately want?

Recently, I have not been into movies that are going to be huge hits, but I want to build trust with the viewers.

BY KIM NA-HYUN [jeon.sohyun@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 5

Guest xoxoprincessxoxo1000

I don't know if anyone remembers me here but I used to post on this thread haha... like a lot. I can't wait for Jisub's movie!!!!! He loOKs amazing!!

4 hours ago, xoxoprincessxoxo1000 said:

I don't know if anyone remembers me here but I used to post on this thread haha... like a lot. I can't wait for Jisub's movie!!!!! He loOKs amazing!!

i remembered you too cos i read the thread from Pg 1 till today :):). Welcome back and do continue to contribute to make this place a lively thread :D:D. Our love for him continues to grow:wub::wub:

• Like 1

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/07/so-ji-sub-describes-his-ideal-type-of-woman-in-high-cut

So Ji Sub describes his ideal type of woman in 'High Cut'

By KpopJoA 

Actor So Ji Sub posed for fashion magazine 'High Cut's August issue, discussing his upcoming film 'Battleship Island'!

During his interview, he said about his movie, "It features fierce fighting scenes as seen in movies back in the day. I actually attended action school for about two months. Many people probably thought I was the active type, but I'm really not. That's why I had to think and practice a lot. Or else I would fall behind if my body wasn't quick enough."

Onto his ideal type of woman, So Ji Sub described, "She just has to be whom that I can communicate freely with. It's hard to fill in the gap, apart from a generational point of view. There may be times when there's something I know that the other person wouldn't be aware of and vice versa."

• Like 5

^_^

Lee Jung Hyun talks about working with co-star So Ji Sub on 'Battleship Island'

On July 19, the cast of 'Battleship Island' and director Ryu Seung Wan attended a press confererence in Seoul, where actress Lee Jung Hyun described working with co-star So Ji Sub.

Lee Jung Hyun explained, "So Ji Sub was really on point with his character. So it was easy for me to act naturally. We didn't even have to discuss what to do or practice on our own time. Everything just fell into place on set."

She also mentioned, "We were able to shoot very comfortably. It was my first time filming for an action movie and he gave me some good tips along the way. He also made sure I didn't get hurt or anything on set, considering safety and all. He was well-mannered and it was such an honor to work with him."

Meanwhile, historical blockbuster film 'Battleship Island' is set to launch on July 26. Who's excited to watch it?

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/07/lee-jung-hyun-talks-about-working-with-co-star-so-ji-sub-on-battleship-island

• Like 2

23 hours ago, myhaneul said:

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/07/so-ji-sub-describes-his-ideal-type-of-woman-in-high-cut

So Ji Sub describes his ideal type of woman in 'High Cut'

By KpopJoA 

Actor So Ji Sub posed for fashion magazine 'High Cut's August issue, discussing his upcoming film 'Battleship Island'!

During his interview, he said about his movie, "It features fierce fighting scenes as seen in movies back in the day. I actually attended action school for about two months. Many people probably thought I was the active type, but I'm really not. That's why I had to think and practice a lot. Or else I would fall behind if my body wasn't quick enough."

Onto his ideal type of woman, So Ji Sub described, "She just has to be whom that I can communicate freely with. It's hard to fill in the gap, apart from a generational point of view. There may be times when there's something I know that the other person wouldn't be aware of and vice versa."

Hi myhaneul, thanks for sharing this. His photos in this magazine are so masculine. The gaze & hot bod..... as he is styled in vintage look but I love his fashion there. NICE interview here..... Ye, I heard that he was also asked about his action scene in his new movie & he said that the action is rough, it's an old fashioned fist fight. In the magazine he also talked about his 20th debut anniversary fan meeting.  But, what I'm most curious is when he was asked about his love life and ideal woman.  He said that he's just looking for a woman who's easy to communicate with. He said that he wants her to be someone who loves herself. :tongue:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, myhaneul said:

Full premiere interview...

myhaneul, thanks for sharing this video. This movie will surely be a HIT! It looks like it will become a hit in the theaters. This is a star-studded cast movie, too! There really isn’t one person who leads the film. I'm sure the PD will give each actor their own spotlight. This movie has also positive reactions from the press.  “The Battleship Island” comes to theaters on July 26. Can't wait for this. :tongue:

For Your Viewing Pleasure: How to Look Tall

Welcome back to For Your Viewing Pleasure, where we take time out of the week to curate a set of photos from the K-pop landscape.

If you’re short like me, then you no doubt have spent time thinking about how to look tall in photos — from standing on your tippy-toes to taking photos from a lower angle to make your legs look longer (although with that technique there is a risk of showing that double chin). This week, we take a look at the “tall and straight” pose — a portrait photo taken of the model standing upright showing the entire length of their body in a straightened shot. By doing so, the model’s body fills the entire frame lengthwise, leaving room widthwise to create the illusion of looking more slender. It’s an easy tip that can be used the next time you want to add a few inches to your height!

170718_seoulbeats_sojisub.png?resize=400

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : seoulbeats

• Like 1