So Ji Sub 소지섭 - Best Korean Actor & Rapper -

sojisubaddicted

*** Better late than never at all -  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jisub! I hope you had a grand time spending your special day with your family & loved-ones! :P

7 Must-Watch Dramas That Were Written By The Hong Sisters

If you’ve been around in K-dramaland, even if you’re just a newcomer, chances are you’ve watched a few dramas written by the famous Hong Sisters. The Hong Sisters are… sisters, consisting of Hong Jung Eun and Hong Mi Ran, who gained attention after penning the hit drama, “Delightful Girl, Chun Hyang.” After continuous success with “My Girl,” the Hong Sisters quickly became known for their brand of quirky and buzzy writing style, infusing the average rom-com clichés with wit and pun-filled dialogue.

Their dramas have also helped boost the recognition of many of the leading actors, propelling them into household-name statuses. In some cases, like Han Chae Young and Cha Seung Won, their starring roles allowed them to try out characters different from their usual choices, and showed the public a different side of them as well as their versatility.

While not all of their dramas are huge successes, the success rate is still notably high, considering their multitude of works spanning over a decade. So here’s a look at some of their more memorable works!

6. Master’s Sun (2013)

Masters-sun.jpg

Aired on: SBS
Length: 17 episodes
Starring: Gong Hyo Jin, So Ji Sub, Seo In Guk, Kim Yoo Ri

In “Master’s Sun,” Tae Gong Shil (Gong Hyo Jin) gains the terrifying ability to see ghosts after an accident, and is so troubled by them that it affects her outlook on life. One day, she meets the cold and aloof CEO Joo Joong Won (So Ji Sub) and realizes he “mutes” this ability when she touches him. Gong Shil pleads to stay by his side so she can finally regain some normalcy in her life, but in return, he asks that she helps him recover a lost fortune.

masters-sun-a.jpg

Ask anyone for their favorite horror/rom-com drama (yes, it’s a thing!) and you’ll probably hear a lot of people suggesting “Master’s Sun.” The Hong Sisters undoubtedly hit gold with this one and restored viewers’ faith after the misstep that was “Big.” All the different genres blend seamlessly together through the brilliant writing, which is made even more perfect by the super charming and chemistry-filled leads.

Start watching “Master’s Sun”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 1

Oh!K Programming Highlights - November 2018

My+Secret%252C+Terrius.jpg

My Secret, Terrius
FINALE ON 16TH NOVEMBER
WITHIN 24 HOURS OF KOREA
Thu – Fri, 7.50pm

Go Ae-Rin suddenly loses her husband. A mysterious man, Kim Bon (So Ji-Sub), lives next door. Kim Bon is a legendary NIS agent. He helps Go Ae-Rin uncover a conspiracy, which husband became involved with.
·        Cast : So Ji Sub, Jung In-Sun, Son Ho-Jun, Im Se-Mi
·        Subtitles : English, Simplified Chinese & Bahasa Malaysia subtitles

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : http://koreancrazed.blogspot.com/2018/11/ohk-programming-highlights-november-2018.html

• Like 1

"Terius Behind Me" So Ji-sub Tells Jung In-sun to Leave Revenge to Him

photo1015172.jpg

On the latest episode of the MBC drama "Terius Behind Me", Go Ae-rin (Jung In-sun) found out her husband Cha Jeong-il (Yang Dong-geun) was dead and was devastated. Kim Bon (So Ji-sub) apologized to her and decided to get revenge.

Kim Bon hesitated before saying, "I'm sorry I couldn't have been more honest with you. The truth is so dark and heavy, I thought it was better off that you didn't know".

Go Ae-rin said, "I know what you mean".

Kim Bon added, "You and I have lost precious people to the same bad guys. I will do the tracking and revenge, you just stay where you are. Don't come over to this side. I can't let you get involved with this dangerous world anymore".

Source : stoo.asiae.co.kr/news...

Translation : Hancinema

*** This drama is still in the lead. According to Nielsen Korea nationwide, the latest episodes of the drama rated 8.6% and 9.8%. This is 0.8% more than the previous episodes. :P

"Terius Behind Me" So Ji-sub Points His Gun at Jung In-sun

"Terius Behind Me" So Ji-sub pointed a gun at Jung In-sun.

On the latest episode of the MBC drama "Terius Behind Me", Kim Bon (So Ji-sub) pointed a fake gun at Go Ae-rin (Jung In-sun).

Ae-rin snuck into Yoon Choon-sang's residence and took part in King's Baek's plan by interviewing as a housekeeper. Soon she was followed by someone and had a gun pointed at her head.

Ae-rin begged for her life, but the trigger was pulled. However, the gun was fake and it was Kim Bon who had her at gunpoint.

Kim Bon said, "Is this Sangam-dong? What you are doing is this scary? Must you do this when you don't know when a gun will be pointed at you again?"

However, Ae-rin was positive about this and said, "I passed the interview don't worry. Everyone is helping me and you will help me, too.

You're always watching over me". Kim Bon said, "If that's how you feel, then I'll make sure to protect you this time".

Source : sports.mk.co.kr/view....

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Nov. 5-11, 2018

dramaratings_2.jpg

Wednesday, Nov. 7      
Happy to Die 1 KBS 4.0%
Happy to Die 2 KBS 4.0%
My Secret Terrius 25 MBC 7.2%
My Secret Terrius 26 MBC 9.0%
Heart Surgeons 25 SBS 5.8%
Heart Surgeons 26 SBS 7.1%
Fluttering Alert 3 MBN 2.0%
Hundred Million Stars From the Sky 11 tvN 2.7%
Thursday, Nov. 8      
Happy to Die 3 KBS 2.5%
Happy to Die 4 KBS 3.3%
My Secret Terrius 27 MBC 8.6%
My Secret Terrius 28 MBC 9.8%
Heart Surgeons 27 SBS 6.4%
Heart Surgeons 28 SBS 7.5%
Fluttering Alert 4 MBN 2.4%
Hundred Million Stars From the Sky 12 tvN 2.6%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-nov-5-11-2018/

“Terius Behind Me” Cast Share Thoughts Ahead Of Drama’s Conclusion

19ffc889666d4c32a869e960cec489a6.jpeg?s=

The cast of “Terius Behind Me” have expressed their thanks ahead of the drama’s conclusion.

“Terius Behind Me” is about a black ops agent, and his neighbor who becomes involved in an information war, as they work to figure out the mystery behind her husband’s death.

So-Ji-Sub-Jung-In-Sun2.jpg

So Ji Sub, who played the legendary black ops agent slash sometimes babysitter Kim Bon, shared, “It’s been two years since I did a drama. It was an honor to meet good actors, good staff members, and to convey warm stories. I’d like to thank all the staff members and actors who were with ‘Terius Behind Me’ from the hot summer to winter. I was happy to have met a cool character like Kim Bon, and I would like to sincerely thank the viewers who sent a lot of love and support.”

“Terius Behind Me” airs its last episode on November 15 at 10 p.m. KST.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Source (1) / soompi news

*** "Be with You"  is available to preorder on Blu-ray with English subtitles from YESASIA.

"Be with You" (2017)

Directed by Lee Jang-hoon-I

With So Ji-sub, Son Ye-jin, Kim Ji-hwan-I, Ko Chang-seok, Lee You-jin, Kim Hyun-soo,...

Also known as "Now I Will Meet You" and "On My Way To You"
Synopsis
Based on a Japanese original novel called "Be with You", which sold over a million copies in 2004, the movie tells the story of a woman who dies and leaves behind her son and husband. She then returns a year later, putting her fate on the line for the sake of her family.

Release date in Korea : 2018/03/14

Blu-ray (Scanavo Full Slip Numbering Limited Edition) (Booklet + Photo Card + Poster) (Happiness

photo1016909.jpg

photo1016908.jpg

Order from YESASIA

Blu-ray (Scanavo Full Slip Numbering Limited Edition) (Booklet + Pho

photo1016907.jpg

photo1016906.jpg

photo1016905.jpg

photo source : Hancinema

"Terius Behind Me" Seo Yi-sook Saves So Ji-sub Thanks to Son Ho-jun

photo1016902.jpg

On the latest episodes of the MBC drama "Terius Behind Me", Kim Bon (So Ji-sub) and Go Ae-rin (Jung In-sun) tackled the King's Back mission.

Kay (Jasper Cho) was shot. Just as Kim Bon was in a desperately dangerous situation, Kwon Yeong-sil (Seo Yi-sook) appeared with a gun and saved Kim Bon. He was arrested and taken to the hospital while Yoo Ji-yeon (Im Se-mi) followed him.

Yoo Ji-yeon asked Kwon Yeong-sil how long she was going to bully Terius and Kwon Yeong-sil said, "I didn't shoot Bon. I had a tip-off".

She then left saying she was going to catch the person that shot Kim Bon and left. Yoo Ji-yeon called Go Ae-rin and let her know Kim Bon was safe.

Kwon Yeong-sil met the person who tipped her off. It was Jin Yong-tae (Son Ho-jun). When she didn't realize the meaning of the tarot cards, he understood that she wasn't bad and called her to save Kim Bon.

Meanwhile, Go Ae-rin disguised herself as a nurse and went to see Kim Bon. She managed to get the papers Kim Bon risked his life for and said, "Now we can clear your name".

Source : tvdaily.asiae.co.kr/r...

• Like 1

***“Terius Behind Me” ended with a bang!  According to Nielsen Korea, the November 15 finale of the drama achieved its highest viewership ratings. The broadcast scored average nationwide ratings of 9.8 percent and 10.5 percent for its two parts (10.5 percent and 11.0 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area), breaking the record set by the drama’s last broadcast on November 14. The final episode performed well maintaining first place in its time slot with ratings of 5.3 percent and 5.9 percent for the night.

cr-soompi news

• Like 1

“The Beauty Inside” And “Terius Behind Me” Top List Of Buzzworthy Dramas

02b66dc8a06e48eda33f0d53cd3e5afc.jpeg?s=

On November 19, the Good Data Corporation revealed the ranking of the most buzzworthy dramas and cast members from November 12 through 18.

The results are based on the analysis of reactions on 42 dramas through news articles, blog posts, online communities, social media, and video clip view counts.

The Beauty Inside” topped the ranking for the second consecutive week with a percentage of 14.94, which is over double that of the second place drama.

“Terius Behind Me” concluded in second place, while “The Third Charm” concluded in third.

New dramas “God’s Quiz: Reboot” and “Top Star “U-Back” had strong starts at No. 7 and No. 10, respectively. Upcoming dramas “The Last Empress” and “Encounter” entered at No. 5 and No. 8.

The top 10 are as follows:

1. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” (14.94 percent)
2. MBC “Terius Behind Me” (6.86 percent)
3. JTBC “The Third Charm” (6.27 percent)
4. tvN “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” (5.46 percent)
5. SBS “The Last Empress” (5.10 percent)
6. tvN “Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter” (5.04 percent)
7. OCN “God’s Quiz: Reboot” (4.74 percent)
8. tvN “Encounter” (4.67 percent)
9. SBS “Where Stars Land” (4.66 percent)
10. tvN “Top Star U-Back” (4.09 percent)

Drama-Buzz1.png

The leads of “The Beauty Inside” once again topped the ranking for cast members who generate the most buzz.

Check out the top 10 below:

1. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” – Lee Min Ki
2. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” – Seo Hyun Jin
3. MBC “Terius Behind Me” – So Ji Sub
4. JTBC “The Third Charm” – Seo Kang Joon
5. tvN “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” – Seo In Guk
6. JTBC “The Third Charm” – Esom
7. tvN “Encounter” – Park Bo Gum
8. SBS “Where Stars Land” – Lee Je Hoon
9. tvN “Top Star U-Back” – Kim Ji Suk
10. OCN “God’s Quiz: Reboot” – Ryu Deok Hwan

Drama-Buzz-11.png

Source (1) / soompi news

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Nov. 12-18, 2018

dramaratings_2.jpg

It’s about time to get ready for a whole new round of shows. We got a few of those shows this week, with plenty more coming soon. Of course, that means that the shows we’ve been following (or avoiding like the plague) have to come to an end.

Spy drama My Secret Terrius ended its run on Thursday with 10.5 percent while medical drama Heart Surgeons ended with 8.4 percent. These two shows performed well in this time slot, though the former brought in more viewers. The power of So Ji-sub, perhaps?

Wednesday, Nov. 14      
Happy to Die 5 KBS 2.5%
Happy to Die 6 KBS 3.0%
My Secret Terrius 29 MBC 8.7%
My Secret Terrius 30 MBC 10.1%
Heart Surgeons 29 SBS 5.8%
Heart Surgeons 30 SBS 7.3%
Fluttering Alert 5 MBN 1.9%
God’s Quiz 5 1 OCN 1.9%
Hundred Million Stars From the Sky 13 tvN 2.3%
Thursday, Nov. 15      
Happy to Die 7 KBS 2.2%
Happy to Die 8 KBS 2.7%
My Secret Terrius 31 MBC 9.8%
My Secret Terrius 32 MBC 10.5%
Heart Surgeons 31 SBS 7.8%
Heart Surgeons 32 SBS 8.4%
Fluttering Alert 6 MBN 1.8%
God’s Quiz 5 2 OCN 2.6%
Hundred Million Stars From the Sky 14 tvN 2.4%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-nov-12-18-2018/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

K-Drama Time Machine: So Ji Sub Becomes The Long-Awaited Solution To Women’s Weight Loss Problem In “Oh My Venus”

oh-my-venus-poster1.jpg?resize=507,400&s

It’s exactly three years since we enjoyed the love story of Kang Joo Eun with coach-nim in Oh My Venus.

Forget the grueling gym work out, home yoga sessions and sadness inducing diet plans. Just allot two hours in two days watching Oh My Venus and you will miraculously lose 10 lbs in two weeks. It’s true. No hidden agendas, no diet pills, and no aggravating body pains. Sign up for a 14-day trial period at Coach John Kim’s Venus boot camp and see for yourself what the rest of the women who tried the program have been talking about. *chuckles

Oh_My_Venus-006.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Title: Oh My Venus
Distributor: KBS
Theme: Romance, Comedy
Length: 16 Episodes
Broadcast Date: 16 Nov – 2015 – 5 January 2016
Main Leads: So Ji Sub, Shin Min Ah, Sung Hoon, Jung Gyu Woon, Yoo In Young, Henry, Jung Hye Sung
Highlights: Addictive romantic treat, Woman-empowering messages
Overall Rating:  4.gif?resize=80%2C16&ssl=1
Re-watch Value: 4.5.gif?resize=80%2C16&ssl=1
Related Dramas: Strong Woman Do Bong Soon, Devilish Charm

Advertisers and businesses overlooked the effective solution to the alarming woes of women struggling to keep up with their weight. Bottling So Ji Sub as a weight coach would have made the women’s world a better place. *giggles

KBS2’s hilarious romantic-comedy starring Shin Min Ah and So Ji Sub left audience with woman-empowering messages and doses of blissful trance for ladies imagining how it would feel like to have a gorgeous personal trainer like So Ji Sub.

Oh_My_Venus-003.jpg?w=202&h=202&crop=1&soh-my-venus-kdrama-review1.jpg?w=202&h=2Oh_My_Venus-005.jpg?w=202&h=202&crop=1&soh-my-venus1.jpg?w=202&h=202&crop=1&ssl=

Oh My Venus goes to the typical Korean rom-com milieu of a rich heir who falls in love with a normal girl, but with a fitness program twist.

Kang Joo Eun iss a feisty Korean lawyer with a steady long-time boyfriend. She is living a calm and normal life and the only concern she has is her weight loss struggle.

She used to be the high school boys’ dream girl in her hometown, but life’s complications took over and she has failed to maintain her goddess self. She eventually loses her boyfriend to an old chubby law school friend who managed to discard her old fat self.

Wanting to reclaim the self-esteem she has been losing, Joo Eun takes the opportunity of forcing herself to be coached by a famous Hollywood weight loss trainer, John Kim, when she chances upon his identity after retrieving his belongings which was left in her possession.

Joo Eun imposes herself on taking John Kim’s training camp, but assumes the manager was John Kim and not Kim Young Ho. The crew was forced to accept her request to shut her mouth in publicly declaring John Kim’s arrival in Korean soil following a scandal he had with a famous Hollywood celebrity. They go on the quest of recovering Joo Eun’s Venus body though unbeknownst to Joo Eun, the training is not being done properly.

Spoiler

When Young Ho unfortunately witnessed Joo Eun’s love humiliation with her old flame, he stands up by her side to salvage her depleting self-worth.

With Joo Eun’s unfailing determination, he corrects her initial understanding of who John Kim is, and decides to formally coach her and bring her back to her old pretty and healthy self, declaring that he will officially own her body.

Sparks eventually connect them together and just as Joo Eun’s body fats are burning, their hearts too began falling in love with each other.

Oh_My_Venus-009.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

The Addictive Hook

Hallyu land is like a big aquarium of handsome men, but So Ji Sub’s cold exterior and warm heart is just a solid punch on why he’s able to pull his cliché character in this drama and make the hearts of women race to an intoxicating bliss.

I’m not ashamed that my religious following of Oh My Venus stemmed from my undying one-sided love with So Ji Sub and I can’t be any happier when the story enticed me with enough Kim Young Ho’s smoking topless exposure and knee-weakening gazes to keep me from being inspired to the fitness goal the drama was trying to impart. So there drama… mission solved! *giggles

For avid K-Drama followers, reaching a point of outgrowing the over-used rich guy-normal girl love story setting is normal.

Hence, playing strong on the fan service with such themes would do the trick. That’s exactly what Oh My Venus achieved with ample servings of refreshing characters and drooling moments which cushioned the shallow conflict. To be honest, anything is forgivable with So Ji Sub in it. *wink

photo650767.jpg?w=510&ssl=1

Drawback

But it would have been nice if they push more on Joo Eun’s initial dream to recover her old Venus self. Putting the problem of Young Ho’s family as conflict was a bit awkward for the plot. It was not fitting. Since they presented Young Ho’s broken self, I think they should have followed that lead.

There’s a lot of emotional struggles for couples in their 30’s because most tend to not unpack their excess baggage so they could have included it to make the plot meatier. They could have lengthened Joo Eun’s rally to win Young Ho’s rich family to make the drama even more sassier and feel-good.

13802883_933499.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Afterthoughts

Oh My Venus will give you what you bargained for, even when at times the narrative is too dictating and predictable. It helped that Shin Min Ah and So Ji Sub’s chemistry was really superb in making the viewers smile.

I want to commend the show’s drive to encourage women with weight worries to lighten up and push themselves to be even more disciplined in following their fitness programs as it would be a propelling force to reclaim their confidence and to live a robust life. If you can get a supportive partner/boyfriend with that, then you are definitely on the right track.

With ample cutesy love scenes and charming on screen adorable couple, this rom-com offering will wear out a week’s work stress. If you want an uncomplicated and blithe love drama, this will definitely satisfy your craving. Add So Ji Sub on the side, and boy it’s definitely a winner all throughout.

All photos retrieved from KBS2.

source : https://www.hellokpop.com/review/k-drama-review-oh-my-venus/

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Goodbye 2018: Top 10 K-Dramas With The Best Ratings Of 2018

2018 is coming to an end and this year many dramas won the hearts of fans! Hard to tell the best dramas of the year but ratings can light on the most popular ones. Be aware that Korean ratings are not always the reflection of international viewers’ taste.

For your information, Kpopmap published weekly Monday-Tuesday and Wednesday-Thursday dramas ratings, as well as some other hot dramas broadcasted on other days. You can be weekly updated on the current popular dramas in Korea.

Here is the list of the 10 dramas with the best ratings of 2018. Data is retrieved from Nielsen Korea, updated until December 2nd, including dramas of the entire year (on main and cable channels) and currently airing dramas.

10- Terius Behind Me

drama ratings

Drama title: Terius Behind Me

Average ratings: 8.5

First episode ratings/Last episode ratings: 6.3% / 10.5%

Broadcasting date: 09.27-11.15

Channel: MBC

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/goodbye-2018-top-10-kdramas-with-the-best-ratings-of-2018/

[Actor Spotlight] So Ji-sub

SJS_0.jpg

It’s time for the spotlight to fall on So Ji-sub, whose latest drama My Secret Terrius just finished a successful run on MBC. Born in 1977 in Seoul, South Korea, So Ji-sub was a hip-hop loving teenager who got into modeling to make some easy money. Modeling led to acting, and though it took him a while to get his big break, the 2004 dramas Something Happened in Bali and I’m Sorry, I Love you put him on the map for keeps. Just like the path from K-pop idol to actor, the path from model to actor was not as common as it is today, and So Ji-sub was one of the pioneers who made this transition successfully.

So Ji-sub has been in the acting game for a long time, but dramaland never seems to tire of him. Likewise, his roles never feel worn out or overplayed. He’s been a bit typecast as a hero with baggage that’s gruff and cold at first glance, but actually “tofu hearted” and wonderful. I like to think that it’s not typecasting as much as it is just the So Ji-sub-ness coming out in each role. He’s a great actor, and he always brings the same quality to his roles. So Ji-sub doesn’t disappear into his characters so much as he plays them as if he’s trying them on — perhaps his early modeling career had more of an impact on his approach to acting and storytelling than we realize.

Here’s some great roles from So Ji-sub, followed by his full filmography.

Spoiler

I’m Sorry, I Love You (2004)

SJS_1.jpg

I’m Sorry, I Love You is a doozy of a classic K-drama. It put So Ji-sub and his co-star Im Soo-jung on the map as a leads, and has all the hallmarks and archetypes that we have come to love (or love-hate): birth secrets, terminal illness, unrequited love, stress fevers, piggybacks, returning ex-girlfriends, and more. So Ji-sub played an Korea-born, overseas adoptee who returned to Korea to find his birth mother. His anger and abandonment led him to exact revenge on her by basically trying to tear up the life of her other son (played by Jung Kyung-ho). As revenge plots often do, it fell prey to bigger things like love and forgiveness, but left a truckload of drama in its wake. So Ji-sub was great in this role — it’s easy to see why it garnered him a ton of attention. He showed his range as he portrayed the many sides to his character: the apathetic gum-chewing street thug who can’t handle his own emotions, the abandoned puppy who just wants to be acknowledged by his mother, and the head-over-heels lover who craves comfort but can’t bear to share his burdens with anyone. Please note that I’m Sorry, I Love you is best enjoyed over a box of tissues.

Only You (2011)

SJS_2.jpg

2011’s Only You (often promoted as Always) was about a blind woman (played by Han Hyo-joo) and the ex-fighter/security attendant (played by So Ji-sub) that she falls in love with. It sounds like the plot of a nice juicy K-drama, but it’s actually a film, and because it is, the story is told much differently than we’d expect from a drama. It’s no secret I prefer dramas to films — I find their execution and methods of storytelling much more fun, and the time commitment (while terrifying if you add up all of your Drama Time) is part of the fun of being engrossed in the fictional world. That being said, Only You is a well-executed romance film that’s a bit more realistic and stark than your typical K-drama, but still has some of those drama elements we love. The film moved swiftly telling the story of their romance, and So Ji-sub was in true form as the rough-around-the-edges hero who’s struggling through life, but put those he loved before his own well-being. The film also has a nice message about the blindness of love, both literal and figurative.

Master’s Sun (2013)

SJS_3A.jpg

So Ji-sub starred with Gong Hyo-jin in this Hong Sisters smash hit. While I wasn’t crazy about the episodic nature of this drama, nor the whole ghost element overall, it had enough fun to keep me watching. The leads were also fabulous together, which is half of the reason the drama was such a success. Without their chemistry, the whole concept of a terrified ghost-seeing heroine who becomes safe only when she makes physical contact with So Ji-sub’s character wouldn’t have worked as well as it did.

Master’s Sun used So Ji-sub’s screen presence to the max — not only was he a master (pun intended) at giving off these cold, regal chaebol vibes, but he had the warmth and presence to back the whole skinship concept. Because who wouldn’t want to have all their fears and troubles disappear in a nice So Ji-sub hug?

Oh My Venus (2015)

SJS_4.jpg

Oh My Venus might not have been the strongest drama plot-wise, but it was So Ji-sub playing the role that suits him best: gruff tofu-hearted hero bearing silent pain (a.k.a. “stoic marshmallow”). Typecast? Maybe, but I will never get tired of him playing these roles. In Oh My Venus he played the trainer and fighter to Shin Min-ah‘s chubby attorney. He had secrets and injuries in his past that threatened to drive them apart, but one of the things this drama did well was depicting two adults in a mature relationship. Go, show! However, Oh My Venus did raise some eyebrows as the premise was that Shin Min-ah’s character needed to lose weight to gain back the respect that her chubbiness had lost her in the eyes of society. That being said, the drama tried hard to be about health and healthiness, not about maintaining a certain number on the scale. (I appreciate when dramas try to address body image issues, but the message often gets a little muddy and self-contradictory — My ID is Gangnam Beauty also faced this problem.) Body image and social issues aside, you can’t talk about this drama without mentioning the humor and color that the supporting cast added. So Ji-sub’s character lived with the MMA fighter he was training (the ever-handsome Sung Hoon — this was my favorite role for him to date) and Henry, who played his manager. The three of them were an absolute blast together. They collectively took Shin Min-ah’s character under their wing, and the drama is worth watching just to see them all interacting, whether they’re circuit training or making sure to eat their veggies.

So Ji-sub’s full filmography:

Korea’s first youth sitcom that ran for almost three years. You’ll see the baby-faced versions of a lot of familiar faces.

Both So Ji-sub and Jang Hyuk started their careers with side roles in this drama about revenge and the fashion industry (why not!).

One-episode MBC Best Theatre drama (Episode #316) with the amazing Jeon Do-yeon.

Eight episodes, eight different love stories. So Ji-sub is in Episode 6 “Miss Hip-Hop and Mr. Rock” with Bae Doo-na.

Another one-episode drama from MBC Best Theatre (Episode 398, to be exact).

So Ji-sub has a supporting role (with Jang Hyuk again, hah) in this weekend drama.

So Ji-sub stars with Kim Sun-ah, and I like the sound of that.

A drama about a woman who’s dumped and then finds herself. Chae Shi-ra, Chae Rim and more.

So Ji-sub is the boyfriend that abandons Park Jin-hee who then starts a contract relationship with Lee Byung-hun to save face. Is that a fair trade?

So Ji-sub gets a second lead role in this Sohn Ye-jin romcom about rival Chinese restaurants.

So Ji-sub stars with bestie Song Seung-heon in this early drama. I assume it’s about a law firm but in every single still So Ji-sub is wearing a bandana do-rag. Because he can.

So Ji-sub stars with Chae Rim and Kwon Sang-woo in this drama about neighborhood romances.

So Ji-sub stars in this klepto comedy, and makes his first movie. Eek!

40-episode early Hallyu saga about two orphaned sisters, played by Kim Hyun-joo and Kim Ji-ho.

An early sageuk-fusion drama with parallel Shilla Dynasty and present-day Seoul storylines.

So Ji-sub, Jo In-sung and Ha Ji-won star in this classic and career-making melodrama. My gut tells me there is some serious second lead syndrome involved here.

Classic melodrama with Im Soo-jung that put them both on the map (see above).

So Ji-sub returned from his military duties and then starred in this OCN 4-episode drama short with Lee Yeon-hee.

This one is a big change of pace for So Ji-sub — it’s a Japanese live-action anime film and it looks… kind of like you might imagine, but don’t try, please.

Action movie filled with self-reference and meta that starred Kang Ji-hwan and So Ji-sub. The film was huge for So Ji-sub and won him a lot of critical acclaim.

So Ji-sub and Shin Hyun-joon star in this drama about a sibling rivalry of Biblical proportions.

So stars opposite Chinese star Zhang Ziyi in this Chinese/Korean production. So Ji-sub said he wanted to do something light after all his heavy roles. All that crying and suffering wears one out.

So Ji-sub plays a ghost in this Japanese mobile drama with Mitsuki Tanimura and Rina Aizawa.

Korean war + love triangle in this drama starring So Ji-sub, Kim Ha-neul and Yoon Kye-sang. Love the sound of that cast.

Ex-boxer with a dangerous past, and the blind woman he falls in love with (see above).

So Ji-sub is a hitman who finds himself the target of a hit in this action film with Lee Mi-young.

So Ji-sub teams up with Lee Yeon-hee again in this police procedural about cyber crime, identity switches, and more.

Smash hit about a haunted heroine and the chaebol heir that makes her safe — viz., skinship with a purpose (see above).

Web drama produced by Line TV starring So Ji-sub and Kim Ji-won that apparently was not available outside of Thailand (and perhaps still isn’t?). The idea of them as a couple doesn’t fit in my head; I’d have to see it to believe it.

So Ji-sub cameos in Episode 1 of this Hong Sisters drama, after starring in their previous hit Master’s Sun.

So Ji-sub cameos in this Yoo Ah-in period film about Crown Prince Sado.

A trainer with a secret past tries to help Shin Min-ah shed some extra pounds (see above).

So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki star in this blockbuster about an attempted escape from a forced labor camp during the Japanese occupation of Korea.

So Ji-sub stars in this Japanese romance/melodrama film opposite Sohn Ye-jin, which reunited them on the screen 16 years after their 2001 drama. Cheers for career longevity!

So Ji-sub’s latest project just finished airing — he plays a spy, but the drama is more sweet/silly than spy/thriller.

• Three Guys and Three Girls (1996-1999) [Drama]
  • Model (1997) [Drama]
  • What You Cherish Can Never Be Forgotten (1998) [Drama]
  • Love Story (2000) [Drama]
  • Have You Ever Said ‘I Love You’? (2000) [Drama]
  • Wang Rung’s Land (2000) [Drama]
  • Joa, Joa (2000) [Drama]
  • Cheers for the Women (2000) [Drama]
  • Long Way (2001) [Drama]
  • Delicious Proposal (2001) [Drama]
  • Law Firm (2001) [Drama]
  • We Are Dating Now (2002) [Drama]
  • Can’t Live Without Robbery (2002) [Film]
  • Glass Slippers (2002) [Drama]
  • Thousands Years of Love (2003) [Drama]
  • What Happened In Bali (2004) [Drama]
  • I’m Sorry, I Love You (2004) [Drama]
  • U-Turn (2008) [Drama]
  • Kitaro and the Millennium Curse (2008) [Film]
  • Rough Cut (2008) [Film]
  • Cain and Abel (2009) [Drama]
  • Sophie’s Revenge (2009) [Film]
  • I am GHOST (2009) [Mobile Drama]
  • Road No. 1 (2010) [Drama]
  • Only You (2011) [Film]
  • A Company Man (2012) [Film]
  • Phantom (2012) [Drama]
  • Master’s Sun (2013) [Drama]
  • A Good Day (2015) [Web Drama]
  • Warm and Cozy (2015) [Drama/Cameo]
  • The Throne (2015) [Film/Cameo]
  • Oh My Venus (2015) [Drama]
  • The Battleship Island (2017) [Film]
  • Be With You (2018) [Film]
  • My Secret Terrius (2018) [Drama]

Special Bonus: So Ji-sub’s love of hip-hop has remained strong and throughout his career he’s released some singles himself. Yes, the world needs So Ji-sub rapping about his life and how being an actor has clouded his perception of who he truly is versus who he has pretended to be.

source : http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/actor-spotlight-so-ji-sub/

Spoiler

• Like 3

7 Actors Who Received Spotlight For Their Acting In 2018

Many dramas and films premiered in 2018. There were some actors who caused buzz just for their appearance and some who received praise for making their projects a success.

Here are seven actors who drew viewers to small and big screens throughout this year:

3. So Ji Sub

Through MBC’s “Terius Behind Me,” So Ji Sub made a triumphant return to TV two years after KBS 2TV’s “Oh My Venus.” The drama topped viewership ratings for its time slot and recorded a personal best of 10.5 percent.

He also appeared in producing director (PD) Na Young Suk’s experimental variety show “Little House in the Forest” and surprised viewers with his philosophy of life.

So-Ji-Sub.jpg

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 2