Ha Jung-Woo 하정우 [Drama “Narco-Saints” | Upcoming: Movies “Nocturnal”, “Ransomed” | Travel Reality Show “Bros on Foot”]

Helena

January 31, 2013
'Berlin File' wows in advance release
Korea JoongAng Daily
30211247.jpg
“The Berlin File,” which opened nationwide yesterday, already clocked more than 130,000 views in an advance release on Tuesday. 
The movie was shown at 631 theaters for about seven hours in what was the most popular preview screening since “The Host” in 2006, according to the Korea Film Council. 
The highly anticipated action-thriller was directed by Ryu Seung-wan and features a stellar cast including Ryu Seung-bum, Ha Jung-woo and Jun Ji-hyun (pictured above). Production costed more than 10 billion won ($9.2 million). 
The flick revolves around Pyo Jong-seong (Ha Jung-woo), a secret agent and weapons trader. 
When an arms deal with an Arab group goes bad, Pyo and his wife, Ryon Jung-hee (Jun), become the targets of veteran Korean intelligence chief Jeong Jin-su (Han Suk-kyu), who has tracked down bank records of the deal.
The film also drew attention due to the fact that it’s the fifth collaboration between the Ryu brothers.

February 4, 2013
Action flick 'Berlin' starts with a bang
By Yun Suh-young The Korea Times
02-05-16-03.jpg“The Berlin File,” a spy thriller featuring a star-studded cast including Ha Jung-woo, is off to a rapid start at the box office.                                      / Korea Times
The Korean movie industry seems to have to have found its next mega-hit. The action blockbuster “The Berlin File,” compared by local critics to the Jason Bourne movies, drew more than 2.24 million viewers in five days after opening, thanks to the 1.53 million tickets sold during the weekend alone.
Despite moviegoers flocking to the new release, “A Gift from Room 7,” is showing staying power in the box office standings. The comedy that follows the story of an intellectually-challenged man wrongfully imprisoned for murder and his interaction with the inmates, garnered 4.2 million viewers in its first 12 days of release. It finished second behind “Berlin” over the weekend after 1.36 million watched it.
“Berlin” is a spy flick directed by martial arts devotee Ryu Seung-wan and features an A-list cast led by Han Seok-gyu, Ha Jung-woo, Jeon Ji-hyun and Ryu Seung-beom, the younger brother of the director.
The early audience figures has producers wondering whether the attendance records held by 2006 hit “The Host” could be within striking distance.
“Berlin” and “A Gift from Room 7” accounted for more than 80 percent of all tickets sold at 897 cinemas across the nation on the weekend, the Korean Film Council said.
The Korean film sector is coming off a record year when it sold nearly 200 million tickets. Movies have been emerging as a key consumption area during the economic downturn as consumers look for cheaper ways to spend their leisure time.

February 4, 2013
Ha Jung-woo lands two endorsements
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily
04204801.jpg
It’s been a big couple of weeks for actor Ha Jung-woo. As his latest flick “The Berlin Files” dominates at the box-office, he has become the face of two brands.
Audi Korea picked Ha along with Super Junior’s Choi Si-won as the brand’s spokesperson. The duo will take part in the Audi’s official functions for the next year.
Ha will also represent the outdoor clothing brand Millet along with actress Moon Chae-won.
The apparel company said that it picked Ha “because he’s popular across all demographics.”
Again, for the next year Ha and Moon will take part in functions and promotions orchestrated by the brand.

February 5, 2013
'Berlin File' Off to a Roaring Start
The ChosunIlbo
2013020500955_0.jpg
The movie "Berlin File" by Ryoo Seung-wan ranked No. 1 at the box office by luring over 1.53 million moviegoers in the first weekend of its release on Jan. 30. The film has attracted more than 2.24 million viewers so far, hitting the 2 million mark in the shortest time of any films released in January or February, the low season for movies.
CJ Entertainment, the distributor of the action flick, expects "Berlin File" to keep its strong showing this week during the lunar New Year's holiday.
The movie drew attention even before its release on Wednesday due to the star-studded lineup: it features Jeon Ji-hyun, Han Suk-kyoo, Ha Jung-woo and Ryoo Seung-bum. The flamboyant action scenes are apparently a particular draw.

February 5, 2013
'The Berlin Files' lead stuffs his face
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily
CJ E&M announced yesterday it will celebrate the 3 millionth view of “The Berlin Files” by revealing a scene in which the lead Ha Jung-woo gobbles a baguette.
The scene in question was mentioned by director Ryu Seung-wan earlier at a press conference.
“The character he plays is a loner and even his eating should reflect this,” said Ryu. “But he ate it in such a way that even I was getting hungry watching him during the editing process.”
Thus the baguette scene was taken out to fit with the seriousness of the plot. 
“Even from before the movie’s opening, fans who knew about the cut were disappointed, and at their request, we’ll make the footage public when we exceed 3 million views,” said a spokesperson from CJ.
Ha has a long list of films in which he is remembered for eating.
In flicks like “The Yellow Sea” (2009) and “Nameless Gangster” (2012), Ha stuffed his face for fans. His preferred cuisine included treats from a seafood bar, ramen and Chinese meals. 

• 2 weeks later...

February 13, 2013
Best ever? Not so fast.
While 'Berlin' may break box-office records, the film is more solid than brilliant
By Yun Suh-young The Korea Times
02-14-14-01.jpg
Jun Ji-hyun deftly handles the role of Ryun Jung-hee, a North Korean interpreter and wife of a spy, who is pushed into a series of dangerous situations and finds herself in a position where she does not know who to trust.

It’s only February, but the Korean film industry may have already seen its movie of the year.
After selling more than 5 million tickets in 14 days through Feb. 12, the spy thriller “The Berlin File” is safely on course to become one of the most successful Korean movies ever.
This represents a similar pace as “The Thieves,” the top local movie of the record breaking attendance of 2012. Even the status of “The Host,” the highest grossing Korean film of all time after selling 13 million tickets in 2006, seems within striking distance.
But is “Berlin” as good as Korean movies can get? Sitting through two hours of intense drama and high-wire action sequences, it becomes clear that the film, the latest addition to the “Jason Bourne School” of spy movies that have been redefining the genre, delivers on the basic levels of entertainment and then some. 02-14-14-02.jpg
Jung Jin-su, right, played by Han Suk-kyu, is a South Korean spy engaged in the relentless pursuit of a North Korean agent and expert weapons-trader Pyo Jong-sung, played by Ha Jung-woo, with the bigger threat being political conspiracy from Pyongyang.
What keeps “Berlin” from being great, however, is the writing. It’s easy to lose track of the plot, which comes off as confusing and distracting and the lousy script prevents the dialogue from being as witty as it should be.
The fact that the film is able to maintain a consistent level of anxiety to the end and leave an emotional resonance speaks to the talent of Ryoo Seung-wan, who has quietly become one of the country’s best directors, and an A-list cast led by Han Suk-kyu and Ha Jung-woo.
Ryoo opens his film with a chaotic sequence where South Korean agent Jung Jin-soo, played by Han, botches an opportunity to nab his North Korean counterpart Pyo Jong-sung, played by Ha.
Pyo had been executing a weapons trade with Arab arms dealers in a hotel room and looked like a sitting duck before jumpy Mossad agents get involved and force Jung and Pyo into a foot race the South Korean loses for the sake of the plot. 02-14-14-03.jpg
Dong Myung-soo, played by Ryoo Seung-bum, is the son of a powerful North Korean official and expert assassin who arrives in Berlin with the intent of eliminating Pyo, his wife Ryun and the North Korean ambassador to allow his father’s men to take over the German operation.              / Korea Times file
The movie then lapses into an unfriendly instruction course on the life stories of the characters and the entangled relationships between them. After that is set and done, Ryoo rewards the audience for their patience with a real punch.
The movie comes alive when Pyo is betrayed by fellow North Korean agent Dong Myung-soo, a role brilliantly played by Ryoo Seung-bum, the brother of the director. The tightly-packed and smartly-placed action scenes that follow do indeed represent Korean cinema at its best. But this is a movie where the sum could feel lesser than the parts.
In sticking to an understated portrayal of Pyo, a magnet for bad luck, quandaries and bullets, Ha once again proves himself as the most bankable star in the Korean film industry. No one better delivers the fugitive-type role better than Ha, who seems to be among the few actors who can breathe a layer of complexity into the shortest of lines.
His streak of above-average films in past years —“The Chaser” (2008), “The Yellow Sea” (2010) and “Nameless Gangster” (2012) — is impressive and one hopes that his best is yet to come.
The three male actors in the movie are superb, but the real surprise for many could be Jun Ji-hyun, whose career had drifted into the shallows before last year’s breakthrough with “The Thieves.”
She deftly handles the role of Ryun Jung-hee, a North Korean interpreter and wife of Pyo, who is suspected by the Pyongyang authorities of treason. With her life under threat, Ryun begins to doubt Pyo’s loyalty toward her and suspects he is trying to turn her in and gain political power in exchange. Of course, it’s Dong who is really after her.
Ryoo, a martial arts devotee whose past credentials include “Crying Fist” (2005), “Dachimawa Lee” (2008) and “The Unjust” (2010) has never produced a more polished action movie. He may or may not be able to work with this collection of acting talent again.
However, it’s regrettable that all they could manage to do is provide undeserved credibility to a script that manages to be preposterous and un-ambitious at the same time.
The background to the plot is predictable as it is familiar.
North Korea — surprise — continues to be unstable after the death of former leader Kim Jong-il and this has North Korean agents fighting furiously in a competition to advance in the country’s new power structure, whatever that might be. And South Korean agents simply just can’t keep themselves out of the way. Berlin was also an obvious venue as the historical site of German reunification.
In the end, the movie comes off like some sort of hero movie, although it’s questionable whether that is what Ryoo intended. He clearly sympathizes with the characters and how they are unjustly pressured to put their duties and loyalties to the state before their personal lives. But the loose script allows words and the course of action to contradict each other too frequently.
The movie hints at a sequel as Pyo decides to walk into North Korea of his own free will and heads to Vladivostok. If there’s indeed another “Berlin” in the pipeline, Ryoo will know where the area for improvement is.

February 13, 2013
‘The Berlin File’ hits 5 million mark
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

20130213000281_0.jpg
A scene from director Ryu Seung-wan’s blockbuster “The Berlin File.” (CJ Entertainment)
Celebrated writer-director Ryu Seung-wan’s latest blockbuster “The Berlin File” topped 5 million viewers in just 14 days, official data showed Tuesday.
Starring Ha Jeong-woo, Gianna Jun (Jun Ji-hyun), and Ryu Seung-beom, the spy thriller tells the story of a North Korean agent (played by Ha) in Berlin who is betrayed by his home country when a clandestine arms deal goes awry and is exposed. He tries to escape the German city with his wife (played by Jun), who works as a German-Korean translator at the North Korean embassy and is pregnant with his second child.
The 10.8 billion won film’s box office performance outdoes last year’s hits “Gwanghae: The Man Who Became the King,” which broke the 5 million mark in 18 days, and “The Werewolf Boy,” which did the same in 19 days, according to the state-run Korea Film Council. 

February 14, 2013
Valentines Day, how to boost up my boyfriend
Source: bnt news 
bnt_1_zps866c4ecd.jpg
[by Park Young jun / translated by Joy Kim] It’s not too late. How about giving a present to make boyfriend sexier?  According to an online magazine, now people are bored of chocolates and sweets. The worst present for the Valentine’s day was cash or gift vouchers. 
People prefer meaningful gifts. Giving a perfume can be an option. Scents leave strong impression. 
Here are perfume recommendation for actor Ha Jung woo, Lee Byung hun, and idol star TOP. Let’s find out about perfect perfume choices for different types of men. 
Manly and sexy, Ha Jung woo 
bnt_2_zps9064b6bf.jpg
Actor Ha Jung woo has macho image and sexy image. Or people say he has ‘dirty sexy’ charm. He is one of the hottest actors in movie screens as well. His recent movie The Berlin File (2013) has become a hit and 4million people visited the movie theatre. 
Active men like Ha Jung woo fits dynamic scents. Recommendations are Ralph Laurent Polo Sports Man and Burberry Sports Man. 
Perfume can express the energetic mood and it fits well to humorous and casual occasions. Ha Jung woo can be humorous and serious at the same time. 
Mixture of wild nature and pleasures 
bnt_3_zps97bdebf4.jpgTOP has two images. Idol star from k-pop group BIGBANG and as an actor, TOP shows different images but he always look sexy. 
His eyes show the confidence. He is manly but not too much and yet delicate. He is very unique and there is no one else like him. 
Recommendations for men like TOP are BVLGARI Blue and Davidoff Cool Water. Those perfumes have a twist and sexiness. 
BVLGARI Blue has woody and musk scents and Davidoff Cool Water has very manly scents but soft end note. 
Classic gentleman, Lee Byung hun 
bnt_4_zpsc6500483.jpg

Lee Byung hun’s charm is his gentle smile and composed attitude. He has successful man’s image and modern look. He can be explained as sophisticated sexiness. 
He can be explained as Alpha male. He is confident and composed at any time or any place. 
Recommendations for Alpha male type like Lee Byung hun is BVLGARI man and Burberry Weekend For Men. 
According to online perfume shopping mall OSENSE, perfume can enhance the sexiness of men and bring out the positive and soft side of men as well.” 
Suggestions are perfumes with woody scents. It emphasizes the manly side and it is classic. (photo by bntnewsDB, OSENSE) 

• 3 weeks later...

March 4, 2013
'Berlin' hits the 7-million-viewer mark, which is the best record of Korean action movies  Source: Innolife Korea
5230_1.jpg

'Berlin' hits the 7-million-viewer mark, which is the best record of Korean movies. 
According to CJ entertainment, 'Berlin' hits the 7-million-viewer mark on 4 Mar. The number of the total viewer recorded 6997754 on 3 Mar, which is the best box office record of Korean action movies ever.
One of the staff in CJ Entertainment said "This means the movie has been loved by all kind of age group. Since it's a spy action movie we've worried. However, the power of the film and the support of the viewers made it overcome."
The director of the movie is Ryu Seung-Wan. And Ha Jeong-Woo, Han Seok-Gyu, Ryu Seung-Bum and Jeon Ji-Hyun star in it. It has had good reviews because of the intense action scenes and good acting of the actors.
It was released on 30 Jan and on showing. [photo = CJ entertainment]

March 5, 2013
'The Berlin File' Becomes Korea's Top Action Movie
The ChosunIlbo
2013030500710_0.jpg

Spy film "The Berlin File," directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, has so far attracted more than seven million viewers since its release on Jan. 30, a first for a domestic movie in the genre. 
It moved beyond "The Man from Nowhere" (2010) and "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" (2008), which lured 6.28 million and 6.68 million cinemagoers, respectively. 
"The figure shows that the film was loved by all age groups and both genders despite earlier concerns about the complicated plot and narrative," said a spokesman at CJ Entertainment, the distributor of "The Berlin File."
The film starring Jeon Ji-hyun, Han Suk-kyoo, Ha Jung-woo and Ryoo Seung-bum involves intelligence agents embroiled in an international conspiracy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

^ Thanks for all the updates. :)

============================================

Source: http://bntnews.co.uk/app/news.php?nid=2004

[interview] Luck? Have you ever been desperate like Ha Jung-woo?

twy6ltdn8phtb69nxi8b1n9.jpg

[by Lee Jung-hyun / translated by Kang Jung-yeon / photo by Jang Moon-sun] God of eating scene, 4885, Actor Ha, and etc. There are various nick names for Ha Jung-woo. But the nickname that suits him the most is Mr. Ha Trend.
He started to get noticed with his movie Nameless Gangster. After the movie he was on various movies such as Love Fiction, 577 Project. In his new movie ‘The Berlin File’ he acted as a best secret agent from North Korea. Bntnews met Mr. Ha Trend at a café in Samchung.
When he stepped in to the café, he looked very excited. It wasn’t just because of the popularity of The Berlin File. He was so excited that the public noticed his little details of his acting. In the movie, he exchanged glance with Ryu Seung-beom. Public even caught his act even in action scene, him trying to glance for way to retreat. As an actor, this can be so grateful and exciting.
“I was surprised to see public catching such small details. It’s more response than what I expected. I never thought that they will talk about those few second and I didn’t that that I will hear some compliments by those few seconds on the scene.”
an57ypqdqahn6cq8kgkk82y.jpg

The character Ha Jung-woo played is cold hearted man who is the best agent in North Korea but has trouble trusting people, even his wife. As the movie goes on, even his belief on his country starts to shake. To play this role, he kept movies ‘The Lives Of Others’ and ‘The Pianist’ in his mind.
“I found a solitary from Adrien Brody in the movie ‘The Pianist’. I felt the long silence of Adrien Brody is similar with my character. In the movie ‘The Lives Of Others’, I found our common of watching people and observing other people. It’s different, but it felt me to study my character.”
“My character is hard to describe with just a few words. He calls himself lonely, but the word ‘lonely’ is even hard for him. I interviewed a man who really worked as an agent in North Korea and that helped a lot. I tried to keep it simply rather than trying to add something. I thought living like a solider could makes my head think simple, so I changed my life style. I tried to live regularly. I even asked movie director for a regular shooting schedule and he gladly said yes.”
Starting from ‘The Unforgiven’, ‘The Chaser’, ‘The Moonlight Of Seoul’, ‘Hwanghae’, ‘Nameless Gangster’ and etc, his career is full of masculine image. About a question isn’t he doing too many works only about masculine image, he replied “I haven’t found an answer to that question.” “I don’t know if I should keep it slowly and focus on the moment or just go ahead and out myself out.”
cx42dk6ukc8gfodquo1rfpg.jpg

“Even if my character was successful on my previous film, public won’t like it if I just use the exact same character on my next one. I am doing a lot of works, but I don’t think I’m stuck with the character. I think putting me in the movie is not a thing that I should hold back.”
Even though people call him ‘Mr. Ha Trend’, he is not on various commercial. He is on ham, beer, and outdoor brand commercial. Usually successful or hot stars take bank or insurance commercial, but he is not on bank commercial. “About the beer and ham, I was confident with shooting it because those are the things I like. Outdoor brand was also the same, but bank is different. I got a call, but there was a little question inside of me if I can show the suitable image.”
About his nick name ’Mr. Ha Trend’, he blushed a little. “I met some good actors and directors. I was lucky.” Meanwhile, he also showed his confidence as an actor. Luck is not enough to describe him. He was desperate.
“All I can say is that I try my best. I analyze the scenario from the start to the end. I practice it whole through and I think, search, and study the character. I think my passion and my behavior to my work is different than others. I sometime ask myself ‘Can anybody practice harder than I do?’ I think public notice my hard work and my pure enthusiasm. I think that is way people gives my good feedback.”

Write: 2013-02-15 05:16:42 / Update: 2013-02-15 20:13:03

The bnt news provides the latest news coming with 6 languages including Korean, English and French leading not only cultural but also industrial Korean waves.
All rights, including copyright ⓒbntnews.co.kr, in the content of these bnt news site are owned or controlled for these purposes by the bnt news.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Otayamin translated all 3 parts of Ha Jung Woo's self interview! :)

Part 1. ‘Prankster’ Ha Jung Woo.. differentiating himself since childhood
http://otayamin.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/130225-ha-jung-woos-self-interview/

Part 2. He wants to become an actor
http://otayamin.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/130227-ha-jung-woos-self-interview/

Part 3. Kim Sung Hoon vs Ha Jung Woo
http://otayamin.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/130301-ha-jung-woos-self-interview/

Guest kdramafanusa

reposted from http://blog.korea.net/?p=15303

KCC UK’s ‘Year of the 4 Actors’ – The Stars!

Written by Korean Class Massive on April 2, 2013

The Korean Cultural Centre in London has officially revealed their star studded line up for their 2013 Korean film programme, ‘The Year of the 4 Actors’. Although we’ve known since the beginning of the year that actress Moon So-ri would be coming over, up until now the rest of the actors have been kept under wraps. But now all is revealed! Joining Moon So-ri in the line up and paying the KCC UK a visit later on this year will be Choi Min-sik, Jeon Do-yeon and Ha Jung-woo! I think we can all agree that the KCC UK is spoiling us this year with this amazing set of talented actors!

yearof4actors.png

Moon So-ri

The ‘Year of the 4 Actors’ kicks off with Moon So-ri, who will be coming for her Q&A next week on the 4th April after the screening of the film Hahaha. We’ve written about Moon So-ri in detail here, but to give you a quick low down about this talented actress: Moon So-ri is an experienced actress who’s played a wide array of roles in films of varying genres. Having always shown an interest in acting, she gained attention in her debut film Peppermint Candy, but it was her second film Oasis that gained her wider recognition and gained her the Marcello Mastroianni Award for Best New Young Actor or Actress at the 2002 Venice Film Festival. Moon is the only other Korean actor to win an award at the VFF, demonstrating just how remarkable her performance was to gain international recognition at such an early stage in her career.

She’s continued to show how versatile she can be throughout her career, showing many different facets of her acting ability and range, and has worked with some of the most influential Korean directors, such as Im Sang-soo and Hong Sang-soo.  Not only is Moon So-ri  an amazing actress, she’s also a skill violinist, gayageum player and familiar with the art of performing Pansori! She’s obviously a woman who is not afraid of a challenge, and she believes actresses should cope with various characters even if there are risks to their career, and her faith has made her grow into a versatile actress in comparatively few movies (source). About her role in Oasis, Moon So-ri said “When I was first offered the role in Oasis, director Lee Chang-dong told me that it might be my last movie and I might not get any more roles. But I just said ok” (source). With a positive attitude, and no fear of making bold moves with her role choices, she’s a great choice to open the ‘Year of the 4 Actors’ and is sure to entertain the audiences when she arrives.

Take a look at this trailer from the film Oasis in which she starred. It’s one of our favourite films of the Korean Cultural Centre’s Moon So-ri season and the film showcases her amazing talents as an actress.

Choi Min-sik

For anyone who’s not familiar with his name, I’m sure all I have to say is ‘the guy from Oldboy‘ and you’ll immediately know who I mean. Yes, Mr. Hammer Wielding Man himself will be coming over for a Q&A! Choi Min-sik is such an infamous actor that managing to snag this guy for ‘The Year of the 4 Actors’ is amazing. Starring in films such as I saw the Devil and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance has not only gained him huge recognition in Korea, but internationally too. Film4 often screensOldboy and due to the international success of many of his films, his name is one that many foreign film fans know right off the bat. In Korean cinema, Choi Min-sik is one of the biggest names about.

Having graduated with a degree in theatre, Choi Min-sik dabbled first in plays before heading into film and TV dramas. He gained recognition from roles in films such as Shiri, Happy End and Failan, but it was in Korean wonder film Oldboy where Choi Min-sik’s popularity really took off into the stratosphere. After a four year self-imposed acting exile, he came back to film and in 2010 won more acclaim for his portrayal of a serial killer in I saw the Devil. Over the years Choi Min-sik has won more ‘Best Actor’ awards than we’ve had hot meals, and his popularity doesn’t look set to diminish any time soon.

Choi Min-sik seems like a very cool guy with a clear and realistic outlook on things, but maintains his artistic sensibilities. In an interview with ComingSoon.net he said “I’m a professional actor so I make money with this but I’m still an artist so I need some feeling to choose movies when I first read the script. No matter how popular that film might be, it doesn’t really matter. I just need some sort of feeling when I first read the ideas” (source). It’s quotes such as this that show he’s a level headed man who understands the need for artistic integrity and balance in the life of an actor. He’s obviously very much concerned and involved with issues regarding the longevity of Korean cinema, as shown by his self imposed acting exile, prompted by the South Korean administration’s decision to reduce the Screen Quotas from 146 to 73 days as part of the Free Trade Agreement with the US. In the past, he’s also said that “to make the Korean film industry flourish more, of course we need more support in terms of policies from the government, economically, but eventually all the crews, including directors and actors should try harder and do their best to make the best films ever.  So that is the best thing to make the film industry succeed better. We should focus more on fundamental problems, especially when the circumstances are tough and complicated“ (source). Choi Min-sik is clearly a man with big ideas and big talent. I’m sure the cinema will be overflowing for his arrival in the UK and undoubtedly he’ll have some amazing insights to give us all.

If you have time, watch the trailer for heartbreaking film Failan, in which he stars.

Jeon Do-yeon

jeondoyeon.jpg
image credit to stareastasia.com

The second of the ladies visiting for this programme is Jeon Do-yeon. Jeon Do-yeon first found fame acting in TV dramas but really found her place in the public eye when she starred in The Contact. She’s known to be able to adapt to any role she’s given, and is even often referred to as a chameleon given her ability to accurately take on the character of any role she’s handed, no matter how varied they are. Because she’s able to slip into any role so easily, she’s had a great array of different types of characters to play, and she always manages to give a very impressive performance. In fact, Jeon Do-yeon was the first Korean ever to receive an acting award at Cannes for the film Secret Sunshine, winning ‘Best Actress’ in 2007. She’s also seen as a role model for younger actresses, showing that she’s greatly respected with her skills admired professionally. If you look at the awards she’s won, you’d be amazed. She may not be as internationally recognised as Choi Min-sik, but she’s one fine actress that can bag the prizes!

If you take a look at some of the interviews she’s done in the past, she seems like a very grounded woman with her head firmly screwed onto her shoulders – “At the end of the day, we’re all alone. Our job is about making our own choices, standing in front of the camera alone and bearing it alone” (source). She also clearly doesn’t give in to pressure from inside the film industry, or from the public – “I think I’m the type of person who wonders what I want rather than wondering what people want of me. Not to say that I ignore their thoughts but I pay more attention to my own demands” (source). With a clear outlook on life and as a woman who knows her own mind well, her Q&A will no doubt be a interesting one that we’re very much looking forward to!

Here’s the trailer for Secret Sunshine, which we’re sure the KCC UK will screen as part of her visit.

Ha Jung-woo

hajungwoo.jpg
image credit to koreandrama.org

Last of the actors, but certainly not least, is Ha Jung-woo. Actor Ha Jung-woo comes from a family of actors, and was bitten by the acting bug from an early age. Appearing early on in his acting career in indie and art-house films like The Unforgiven and Time, he not only gained recognition in Korea, but over seas too. He also managed to win the hearts of quite a few female fans early on his acting career…. we can’t imagine why, obviously nothing to do with his dreamy looks. However, the point at which he really came into the foreground was when he played the rather psychotic murderer in awesome film The Chaser. He’s also showed audiences that he’s a versatile actor by going from serious and deadly characters, like that seen in The Chaser, to lovable but confused by life types as seen in Love Fiction. Not content with acting, he’s also stepping into the world of directing with his first film Roller coaster. He’s also published his own essays which contain his personal drawings! What a talented guy.

From reading his interviews, Ha Jung-woo seems like a very playful, mischievous and happy-go-lucky kind of guy. If you want to find out more about him as a person, I’d say read this self-interview he did, it gives you an interesting look at his life and his thoughts, you can read Part 1 here, Part 2 here and Part 3 here! We can’t wait to get to see him in the UK, he seems like a right laugh!

Here’s the trailer for personal favourite, The Chaser.

‘The Year of the 4 Actors’ will so doubt be a fantastic opportunity for Korean film fans in the UK to be able to get up close and personal with some of Korea’s premier actors and actresses. We can’t wait for all their visits and sure you all feel the same. Starting with Moon So-ri’s visit next week, bring on 2013! To keep up to date with all the current information from the KCC UK, check their website here. http://london.korean-culture.org/welcome.do

Guest kdramafanusa

Macho actor Ha Jung-woo becomes a fashion model

4wgu61gzldpbjpjtdkidb47.jpg

[by Cho Suyoun] LG Fashion’s total lifestyle brand TNGT has hired actor Ha Jung-woo as their brand model.

Ha Jung-woo has shown a variety of characters in movies he was in and it represented the brand’s season concept ‘THE MOVIE.’ Ha is building his career as an actor and director and working all over the ground, and the staffs thought that his career matches what they want to show for this season.

As he contracted with TNGT, he will show unique fit and style. Since their launch in 2002, the brand has shown styles for people in age between 25 years old to 35 years old.

Meanwhile, the clothing brand will reveal a promoting video of Ha Jung-woo on April 10th and hold an event called ‘Alive TNGT Style with Ha Jung-woo.’ More information about the brand and event can be found on their official Facebook page.

(photo by LG Fashion TNGT)

Write: 2013-04-10 11:18:23 / Update: 2013-04-10 14:20:40

The bnt news provides the latest news coming with 6 languages including Korean, English and French leading not only cultural but also industrial Korean waves. All rights, including copyright ⓒbntnews.co.kr, in the content of these bnt news site are owned or controlled for these purposes by the bnt news.

^ Welcome back, keep on posting!
April 4, 2013

Nominations for the 49th Baeksang Arts Award Revealed

user posted image

Best Picture 

Gift of Room 7
Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King 
Werewolf Boy
Berlin
Pieta

user posted image

Best Director

Kim Ki-Duk "Pieta"
Ryu Seung-Wan "Berlin"
Min Kyu-Dong "All About My Wife"
Choi Dong-Hoon "The Thieves"
Choo Chang-Min "Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King"

user posted image

Best Actor

Ryu Seung-Ryong - The Gift From Room 7
Song Joong-Ki - Werewolf Boy
Lee Byung-Hun - Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King
Ha Jung-Woo - Berlin
Hwang Jung-Min - New World

All the best to the nominees!

Source: Nate

user posted image

• 2 weeks later...

April 22, 2013
Ha Jung-woo designs phone cases
By Lee Sun-min Korea JoongAng Daily

22210727.jpg

Movie star Ha Jung-woo will contribute his artistic talents to help children in need.
He has introduced two new designs for smartphone cases along with the two others he showed last year. The four designs can be put on cases for the iPhone 5 and other smartphones.
Another actor, Joo Sang-wook, has also taken part in designing smartphone cases. 
Some of the proceeds will be used to provide music education to children and teenagers from low-income families, said the agency Fantasio.
“The donation has deeper meaning as the two actors, who not only showed excellence in acting but also in art, shared their artistic talents,” the agency added. “We will continue working on some projects to pay back the community with the talents of each artist at Fantasio to communicate better with the fans.”
Anyone who is interested in buying the cases can go online or to Lotte Department Store in Sogong-dong, central Seoul. The cases are also sold at duty-free shops at Incheon International Airport.

Guest kdramafanusa

^ Thanks Rubie. :)

-----------------------------------------

[updated profile from KOFIC]

HA Jung-woo

Director, Actor, Screenwriter
Nationality: South Korea
Company: Fantagio (http://www.fantagio.kr )

1bb8f21ad58e4006aacada4.jpg

Biography

HA Jung-woo has filled every facet of his filmography with challenges. He has taken the opposite direction from new movie stars who usually go with commercial movies. His rebellious streak manifested itself in the cult movie, <The Fox Family>, a creative indie film <The Unforgiven>, and <Time>, directed by [KIM Ki-duk]. He has expanded his spectrum of characters and become a prolific actor appearing in numerous films. He has carved out his place in the Korean movie sector, making a smooth switch from commercial to non-mainstream movies and to global joint film projects. He starred in three disparate movies, <The Chaser>, <Beastie Boys>, and <My Dear Enemy> in 2008 alone and joined the ranks of Korea’s most promising actors. He has built a good rapport with directors whom he worked with and even made a number of cameo appearances for them. It is interesting to see how he always makes a surprising choice for his next film. He used to show greater interest in non-mainstream, conscientious movies. But his recent works are mostly larger-scale commercial movies such as <Take Off> and <The Yellow Sea>. He is currently one of the busiest working actors in the Korean film industry, having starred in a courtroom drama <The Client> as well as <Love Fiction> and <Nameless Gangster>. He will next be seen in the large-scale spy thriller <The Berlin File> by [RYU Seung-wan] and as an anchorman in <The Terror Live>. In addition, 2013 will also see the release of his directorial debut <Rollercoaster>.

Outside Story

Date of Birth: March 11, 1978
Height, Weight, Blood Type: 184cm, 75kg, Type A
Educational Background: Graduated from Chung-Ang University, Department of Play

Awards

‘11 47th Baeksang Art Award - Best Actor Award (Yellow Sea)
‘11 5th Asian Film Award – Best Actor Award (Yellow Sea)
'11 31st Korean Association of Film Critics Awards - Best Actor Award (Yellow Sea)
‘10 46th Baeksang Art Award - Best Actor Award (Take Off)
‘10 7th Max Movie Best Film Award – Best Actor Award (Take Off)
'09 17th Chunsa Film Festival - Group Acting Award (Take Off)
‘09 30th Blue Dragon Film Awards – Popular Star Award
‘09 5th Korea University Film Festival – Best Actor Award
‘09 8th Booil Film Award – Best Actor Award (My Dear Enemy)
‘09 10th Busan Movie Critics Association – Best Actor Award (My Dear Enemy)
‘08 11th Director’s Cut Award - Actor of The Year Award (The Chaser)
‘08 16th Chunsa Film Festival – Best Actor Award (The Chaser)
‘08 31st Golden Filming Award – Best Actor Award (The Chaser)
‘08 9th SBS Image Grand Festival – Photogenic Award
‘07 27th Oporto International Film Festival – Best Actor Award (Time)
‘05 8th Director’s Cut Award – New Actor Award (The Unforgiven)
‘05 25th Korea Movie Critics Association Award – New Actor Award (The Unforgiven)

Drama

‘07 MBC <Hit> - Kim Jae-yoon
‘05 SBS <Lovers in Prague>
‘04 KBS <Days of Swordsman>
‘02 SBS <Do the Right Thing>

Movie

'13 <Kundo: Age of the Rampant>
’13 <The Terror Live>
’13 <The Berlin File> - Pyo Jong-sung
’12 <Behind the Camera> - Himself
’12 <Project 577> - Himself
‘12 <Nameless Gangster> Choi Hyung-bae
‘12 <Love Fiction> - Koo Joo-wol
‘11 <The Client> - Kang Sung-hee
‘10 <The Yellow Sea> - Kim Koo-nam
‘10 <Parallel Life> - Chang Soo-young
‘09 <Take Off> - Cha Heon-tae
‘09 <Boat> - Hyung-koo
’09 <Like You Know It All> - Mr. Jo
’08 <Beastie Boys> - Jae-hyun
‘08 <My Dear Enemy> - Cho Byung-woon
‘08 <The Chaser> - Ji Young-min
’08 <Forever the Moment> - Mart customer
’08 <Our School’s Doctor> - Handsome doctor (cameo)
‘07 <Breath>- Role of the husband
’07 <Never Forever> - Ji-ha
‘06 <The Fox Family> - The son
‘06 <Time> - Ji-woo
‘05 <The Unforgiven> - Yoo Tae-jung
‘05 <She’s on Duty> - Cho Ki-hoon
‘04 <Superstar Mr. Gam> - Kim Woo-yeul
’02 <Madeleine> - Joon-ho

Play

‘03 <Othello>
‘02 <Waiting for Godot>
‘02 <Glass Zoo>
‘01 <Good Doctor>
‘01 <Carmen>
‘00 <Saving My Hubby>

Filmography

Kundo: Age of the Rampant 2013 Actor
THE TERROR LIVE 2013 Actor
The Berlin File 2012 Actor
Roller Coaster 2012 Director ( Director )
Roller Coaster 2012 Staff ( Screenwriter )
Project 577 2011 Actor
Project 577 2011 Staff
Love Fiction 2011 Actor
Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time 2011 Actor
The Client 2011 Actor
The Yellow Sea 2010 Actor
Take Off 2009 Actor
Take Off 2009 Actor
The Boat 2009 Actor
Parallel Life 2009 Actor
My Dear Enemy 2008 Actor
The Moonlight Of Seoul 2008 Actor
The Chaser 2008 Actor
Breath 2007 Actor
Never Forever 2006 Actor
The Fox Family 2006 Actor
Time 2006 Actor
The Unforgiven 2005 Actor
She's On Duty 2005 Actor
Mr. Gam’s Victory 2004 Actor
Madeleine 2002 Actor

Guest kdramafanusa

Original article: http://enews24.interest.me/news/article.asp?nsID=150872
Translated article: http://enewsworld.interest.me/enews/contents.asp?idx=34570

Ha Jung Woo and Kang Dong Won′s ′Band of Thieves′ Confirms Its Cast

2013-04-23 15:01  l   CJ E&M enewsWorld An So Hyoun
Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Band of Thieves, the film to star Ha Jung Woo and Kang Dong Won, will start filming late April.

On April 23, the film′s production company Showbox commented that "casting for Band of Thieves has been confirmed, and the actors got together in Nonhyeon-dong Gangnam-gu, Seoul on April 19 to pray for the film′s success."

63075647.jpg

Band of Thieves is about thieves that tried to be on the side of the more general public in the 10th year of Cheoljong, a king of Joseon. Aristocrats and figures of power had been oppressive, exploiting those lesser in rank than them.

The film is led by director Yoon Jong Bin of Nameless Gangster, and has also been gathering interest for being Kang Dong Won′s first piece since his release from the army.

Ha Jung Woo will be playing a butcher named Dol Moo Chi, who comes to join the band due to a misunderstanding. Kang Dong Won will be at odds with Moo Chi as Jo Yoon, a warrior that has no match in all of Joseon. He is the child of the concubine of a rich man.

Lee Kyeong Yeong will appear as the mood-maker of the band, Lee Sung Min as the leader and Cho Jin Woong as a thief who used to be an aristocrat.

The film also features Ma Dong Seok, Yoon Ji Hye, Song Young Chang, Jeong Man Sik, Kim Sung Kyun, Kim Hae Suk, Han Ye Ri and more.

Photo credit: Showbox

Guest kdramafanusa

ROLLERCOASTER Mixes Panic with Humor

by KIM Hyun-min /  Feb 08, 2013 / KOFIC

anortnkqmeotmpddxgpv.jpg

Director HA Jung-woo | Starring JUNG Kyung-ho, KIM Sung-kyun, KIM Byoung-ok, KIM Jae-hwa | Release Date 2013

Rollercoaster (working title) is popular actor HA Jung-woo’s directorial debut. This fact alone means that people have high expectations for it. HA, who is already recognized as a versatile actor, chose the cabin of a passenger airplane as the setting of his first film as director. The film depicts people who kick up a ruckus while facing an approaching typhoon. How will director HA express a crowd of people who are like candles in the wind?

The story goes like this. At Haneda Airport in Japan, MA Jun-kyu, a Korean wave star hurriedly gets aboard an airplane for Gimpo Airport near Seoul. This is because MA’s longtime girlfriend said goodbye to him due to a scandal exposed in Japan. But that is only the beginning of MA's woes who suffers from paranoia, nervous breakdowns and aerophobia. A typhoon hits the airliner. The airplane hovers in the sky, runs out of fuel and instills panic in all those aboard.

fmflavmvagechpcrtqhg.jpg

HA got an idea about this film from a true story of an actor he knows. The first scenario was completed as a short script. The current long version was finished after more contents were added to the first. What is the fun of Rollercoaster about a commotion in a confined space? “Definitely, that is the unique humor of HA Jung-woo,” producer KWON Nam-jin said. “Many people were concerned about the commercial success of this film. ‘Will this movie be funny?’ some people even asked me. But they said, ‘I am sorry' after watching an edited version of the movie.” (Laughs)

A comedy which fully contains the characteristics of HA, found more quality through the addition of the strong performances of the cast. JUNG Kyung-ho, who plays the part of MA Jun-kyu worked for the film with great enthusiasm since Rollercoaster is his first work after being discharged from the military.

HA’s casting condition was to read the screenplay every day with all of the actors and actresses participating for two months at a specific location. JUNG and the other actors and actresses met and read the screenplay every day as if they were preparing for a play. HA thought that this system was effective as he did not have a long time to prepare for the film and Rollercoaster is a character-oriented project.

“HA makes quick and rational decisions,” producer KWON said about HA as a director. “So, HA could finish 20 shooting days without any major difficulties in less than a month. Besides, he knows how to make the atmosphere of a shooting site bright and funny.” HA also gave the actors and actresses a lot of advice on acting, too. Rollercoaster will be quite an extraordinary film as director HA created a congenial atmosphere among the actors, actresses and staff.

--

10 Most Anticipated Korean Films of 2013

by BAEK Jong-hyun /  Feb 08, 2013 / KOFIC

New, Hot and Surprising

gvxowcefctbbajumfytl.jpg
vbwgoievqcnumhwhsxkb.jpg

New films are on the way. Directed by world-renowned directors and those who have triumphed in the Korean market, the beginning of 2013 will offer many new exciting projects. Here are the ten most anticipated new films of the year.

▶ PART 1
PARK Hoon-jung’s NEW WORLD
PARK Jae-hyun’s THE HUNTRESSES
JANG Cheol-soo’s SECRETLY GREATLY
JANG Joon-hwan’s HWAYI

▶ PART 2
KIM Yong-hwa’s MR. GO
PARK Hong-su’s COMMITMENT
SONG Hae-sung’s A FAMILY REUNION (working title)
WON Shin-yun’s THE SUSPECT
JOH Ui-seok’s COLD EYES (working title)
HA Jung-woo’s ROLLERCOASTER (working title)