Ha Jung-Woo 하정우 [Drama “Narco-Saints” | Upcoming: Movies “Nocturnal”, “Ransomed” | Travel Reality Show “Bros on Foot”]

Helena

August 13, 2016

August Brand Power Rankings For Actors Revealed

Source: Soompi by kokoberry 

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed its brand power rankings for actors for August (from July 11 to August 12). The results come from 76,521,377 pieces of data that measure brand participation, media coverage, communication, and community.

In first place comes Gong Yoo with 7,718,734. Following him is Ha Jung Woo and Song Joong Ki in second and third place respectively.

Check out the full list below!

1. Gong Yoo
2. Ha Jung Woo
3. Song Joong Ki
4. Lee Byung Hun
5. Park Hae Il
6. Hwang Jung Min
7. Lee Jung Jae
8. Song Hye Kyo
9. Kim Soo Hyun
10. Cha Seung Won
11. Lee Beom Soo
12. Song Kang Ho
13. Yoo Ah In
14. Lee Min Ho
15. Kang Dong Won
16. Jun Ji Hyun
17. Choi Min Sik
18. Yoo Hae Jin
19. Oh Dal Soo
20. Yoo Seung Ho
21. Lee Kwang Soo

A representative from the research institute revealed that there were big changes in brand power rankings due to the success of the film “Train To Busan” which features Gong Yoo. As for Ha Jung Woo, he had been maintaining a high ranking but moved up from third place to second place due to his new film “Tunnel.”

Source (1)

August 15, 2016

"List of Names" From Jeon Do-yeon to Ha Jung-woo, 8 stars that are entrusted with the success of a movie

Source: Xportsnews via Hancinema.net

photo756319.jpg

8 Box Office Hit stars were announced on the tvN show "List of Names".

In 8th place came Lee Jong-suk who has been on a roll with "Secret Garden", "High Kick 3, The Short Legs Counterattack", "I Hear Your Voice", "Pinocchio" and "W".

Lee Jong-suk has managed to be successful because of his love for dramas and choosing his work in a viewer's point of view.

In 7th place came Lee Dong-hwi who starred in the movies "Beauty Inside", "The Handmaiden" and "Veteran". He also starred in the drama "Answer Me 1988".

In 6th place came Kong Hyo-jin who has always been successful with her dramas ever since her debut in 1999 with "Memento Mori".

Kong Hyo-jin has become an entrusted actress with her success in the dramas, "Thank You", "Pasta", "Master's Sun", "It's Okay, That's Love", "Producers" and more.

Coming in 5th was Seo In-guk, the winner of "Super Star K 1". He starred in "Answer to 1997", "The King of High School Manners" and "38 Revenue Collection Unit" as an actor, not a singer. He hasn't had one criticism about his acting so far and has become a represent able actor in his 20s.

In 4th place is Oh Dal-soo, who has made his way up to success with his unique character. He's made hits in "The Host", "The Thieves", "Ode to My Father", "Veteran" and "The Assassination".

Son Ye-jin came in third. She has been the symbol of innocence and she's earned a name for herself with performances in "My Wife Got Married", "Pirates" and "The Last Princess".

Ha Jeong-woo is in 2nd place. He spent many years as an actor with no name at first but made it big with "The Chaser", "Nameless Gangster", "The Berlin File", "The Assassination" and more.

Coming in first is no other than Jeon Do-yeon, the 'queen of mellow'. She debuted in 1990 at the age of 18 and earned a name for her innocent character.

Jeon Do-yeon starred in "The Contact", "A Promise", "The Harmonium in My Memory", "You are my Sunshine" and more. After getting married, she still hit the high road with "Secret Sunshine", "The Housemaid - 2010" and even won a prize at the Cannes International Film Festival.

August 18, 2016

"The Handmaiden" Park Chan-wook, Ha Jung-woo and Kim Tae-ri finish their parts in "Entourage Korea"

Source: WOW TV via Hancinema.net

photo757053.jpg

Director Park Chan-wook, actors Ha Jeong-woo and Kim Tae-ri got together once again to make special appearances in the drama "Entourage Korea".

They completed their parts in the drama on August 18th.

It was uncertain that they would be appearing together.

The three people are the leading members of the movie "The Handmaiden". The special appearance in "Entourage Korea" was out of loyalty for Jo Jin-woong who is one of the main stars in the cast.

"Entourage Korea" is the story of Eun-gap (Jo Jin-woong) who puts everything he has on the line to make Yeong-bin (Seo Kang-joon) and top star and a friend who also put everything on the line for him.

August 21, 2016

“Tunnel” Surpasses Amazing Number Of Admissions In Less Than Two Weeks

Source: Soompi by notclaira 

“Tunnel” Surpasses Amazing Number Of Admissions In Less Than Two Weeks

The movie “Tunnel” (directed by Kim Sung Hoon) has surpassed 5 million admissions in only 12 days!

On August 21, representatives from the film announced that as of that afternoon at 5:30 p.m. KST the film had sold 5,000,338 tickets since its opening day on August 10.

Ha Jung Woo stars in the action film about an ordinary salaryman who gets stuck in a collapsed tunnel. Its high admissions rate puts it on par with the other summer blockbuster in Korea, “Operation Chromite.”

Ha Jung Woo and Bae Doona, who also stars in the movie, took a picture to commemorate the milestone along with director Kim Sung Hoon. (The balloon reads “500” because in Korean “10 000” is a separate unit; e.g. 500 x 10,000 = 5,000,000).

This weekend, “The Last Princess” and “Operation Chromite” held the No. 3 and No. 5 spots at the Korean box office while “Train to Busan” ranked No. 6. The Hollywood animation “Secret Life of Pets” ranked No. 4 and “Star Trek: Beyond” ranked No. 2.

Source (1)

August 22, 2016

'Tunnel' tops box office for second weekend, tops 5 million viewers

SEOUL, Aug. 22 (Yonhap) -- Korean disaster flick "Tunnel" has claimed the top spot at the box office for a second weekend in a row, bringing in more than 5 million viewers nationwide, data showed Monday.

According to the official box office tally from the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), a state agency for promoting homegrown films, the movie starring Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doona and Oh Dal-su added 1.11 million to its domestic total of 5,084,911 over the Aug. 19-21 weekend.

A still from "Tunnel" (Yonhap)

A still from "Tunnel" (Yonhap)

It surpassed the 5 million mark on Sunday, the 12th day of running, in a pace faster than "The Last Princess" that opened a week earlier.

Although it has about 1.7 million less than "Operation Chromite" in attendance, among the so-called "big-four" Korean films of this summer, "Tunnel" is expected to narrow the gap around next weekend. Two other big-four films are "The Last Princess" and "Train to Busan."

Directed by Kim Seong-hun, the film portrays the desperate struggle of a car salesman who accidentally gets trapped inside a collapsed tunnel on his way back home from work. His wife and the 911 captain make every effort to save him but are confronted with politicians and people who do not want a development plan to be delayed to rescue a single person who may have already died.

Coming in second was "The Last Princess" that attracted 501,405 people over the weekend. The homemade film about the ill-fated life of Korea's last princess is about to surpass the 5 million audience mark soon with 4.83 million in accumulated number of viewers.

The historical film directed by Hur Jin-ho and starring Son Ye-jin follows the dramatic life of Deokhye, the last princess of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), as she is forced to leave her motherland during Japan's 1910-45 occupation of the Korean Peninsula.

A still from "The Last Princess" (Yonhap)

A still from "The Last Princess" (Yonhap)

Coming in the third, "Star Trek Beyond," the last film in the rebooted Star Trek franchise had a solid opening in South Korea with 493,135 viewers

"The Secret Life of Pets" stayed at No. 4 for a third weekend with 223,429 viewers. The animated American film has recently topped 2 million in the total number of viewers amid the strength of Korean action films.

In fifth and sixth place were "Operation Chromite" and "Train to Busan," two big-budget films that had led all other films at the early and middle stages of the summer peak season.

A still from "Train to Busan" (Yonhap)

A still from "Train to Busan" (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

August 25, 2016

Ha shines in the dark with ‘Tunnel’: Actor talks about importance of staying positive in his hit film

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

24201546.jpg

Actor Ha Jung-woo says disaster blockbuster “Tunnel” tells a positive story  in that it’s about overcoming a difficult situation and not dwelling in pain. [STUDIO 706]

It’s not an exaggeration to say that the disaster blockbuster “Tunnel” was made for Ha Jung-woo. 

The film is essentially a one-man show that allows the actor to shine, even as he’s trapped alone in the dark. 

“Tunnel” tells the story of Jung-su, played by Ha, trying to survive after a tunnel suddenly collapses. His only possessions are a partially charged smartphone, two water bottles and a birthday cake he bought for his daughter.

In a recent interview with JoongAng Ilbo, Ha said he was attracted to the character because despite the dire circumstances, Jung-su remains positive. Through the character, director Kim Seong-hun manages adds moments of humor to an otherwise dark situation. 

Still, Ha admits the film was quite an acting challenge. 

“I realized once again that there’s nothing in life that’s free,” he said with his signature laugh.

The following are edited excerpts from that interview. 

Q. What made you take on the role?

A. At first, I thought it was similar to “The Terror Live” (2013) [which also depicts a news anchor desperately trying to prevent a terror attack]. But it turned out that it was completely different. I was first impressed by the script, and then was attracted to the character. Jung-su. He’s not the type that just complains and weeps in pain. I thought I would be able to have fun playing him and leading the story.

Many people note how despite being a disaster film, there are also funny moments. What are your thoughts?

Yes. Five minutes after the film begins, a tunnel collapses and Jung-su is trapped. But he’s not just pessimistic. In fact, I think the whole film is about how a person overcomes a difficult situation, that kind of attitude, and not necessarily about a person’s pain and shock. It that sense, the story is a positive one. And I thought seeing Jung-su adapting to what’s available could be fun for people.

What was your chemistry like with director Kim Seong-hun? Did you like his sense of humor?

I talked to him frequently [before filming] and we clicked well. We have the same sense of humor and interests. For instance, in one scene Jung-su talks with a dog and shares dog food with it. And he says, “So you guys don’t like to season your food.” Also there is a scene where a clumsy rescue worker mistakenly tears the blueprint for the tunnel. As I read the script, I felt his wit and also saw chances for improvisation.

How did you feel about Jung-su? What kind of person is he?

He is proactive and has a strong will to live. But more importantly, he’s full of positive energy. In that sense, I could connect with him. When he’s told that someone will come and save him a week later, he believes it and tries to make it for a week. In a sense, he may seem gullible. But I’m sure considering the situation, those words gave him comfort and hope to carry on.

Wasn’t it hard filming by yourself, confined in a limited space?

I don’t count physical challenge and fatigue as “hard.” For me there’s nothing harder than not believing in the film that I’m in. When a director loses direction, no matter how good the actor’s performance is, the result cannot be good. I filmed six days a week; 12 hours a day. But the director led everything. That’s why I can say I had fun filming.

What’s your acting “style”? And what do you figure your biggest strength is as an actor?

I want to be a tool that best portrays a director’s intended colors. I don’t know what my acting style is, but I just want to play a helpful role to a film that I believe in either as a main or supporting character. I just want to bring to life the character the director created in the best way possible.

BY LEE JI-YOUNG [hkim@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 1

August 29, 2016

'Tunnel' tops box office for third weekend, draws over 6 million viewers

SEOUL, Aug. 29 (Yonhap) -- Korean disaster flick "Tunnel" has claimed the top spot at the box office for a third weekend in a row, bringing in more than 6 million viewers nationwide, data showed Monday.

According to the official box office tally from the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), a state agency for promoting homegrown films, the movie added 664,789 to its domestic total of 6,026,925 over the Aug. 26-28 weekend.

Starring Ha Jung-woo, Bae Doona and Oh Dal-su, the film has topped the daily box office chart for 19 straight days, the longest period for any film that opened this year.

It surpassed the 6 million mark on Saturday, the 18th day of running, becoming the sixth film that reached the milestone this year in the country.

Directed by Kim Seong-hun, the film portrays the desperate struggle of a car salesman who accidentally gets trapped inside a collapsed tunnel on his way home from work. His wife and the rescue team captain make every effort to save him but are confronted with politicians and people who do not want a development plan to be delayed to rescue a single person who may have already died.

The James Wan-produced American horror film "Lights Out" landed at No. 2 on its opening weekend with 397,460 audiences.

"The Last Princess," a Korean film about the ill-fated life of Korea's last princess, fell a step down to third place, drawing 230,313 viewers.

Coming in the fourth was another Hollywood newcomer "Ghostbusters" (215,506), followed by "Star Trek Beyond," the latest film in the rebooted Star Trek franchise (167,878).

The official poster of the Korean film "Tunnel." (Yonhap)

The official poster of the Korean film "Tunnel." (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ha Jung-woo considers UL Entertainment as new agency

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160811
Actor Ha Jung-woo is likely to sign a contract with new agency UL Entertainment in the near future, news reports said Thursday.

There have been media reports that Ha’s contract with his current agency Fantagio will expire in September and that it is unlikely to be extended. 

A report by media outlet Oh My News on Thursday speculated that Ha’s next agency would be UL Entertainment, which is headed by Yang Hyun-seung, a former staff of Fantagio. 

Yang, however, denied that the agency had already signed a contract with Ha. 

“Nothing is confirmed,” Yang told media. “Our agency is just one of his choices.”

Fantagio’s chief executive Na Byung-jun told media on Wednesday that the agency would not extend its contract with Ha, who has been with it for more than a decade.

Ha’s fame took off with the movie “The Chaser” (2008). Since then, he has starred in a number of popular Korean movies, including “Take Off,” “Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time,” “Love Fiction,” “The Berlin File,” “The Terror Live” and “The Handmaiden.” 

He also stars in the flick “Tunnel,” which was released nationwide on Wednesday.

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com
)

Edited by czakhareina1
added image

• TUNNEL Burrows Through US and UK Box Office
    by Pierce Conran / Sep 12, 2016 KOFIC

Disaster Drama Finds Global Audiences

gNGlpnAAVbUqmxEeiQNx.png

In addition to spending four weeks atop the Korean box office, summer smash Tunnel has also recently gone on release in several other markets, including the United States and the United Kingdom. Starring HA Jung-woo as a man trapped in a collapsed tunnel and BAE Doo-na as his wife, the film marks the third directorial outing of A Hard Day (2014) filmmaker KIM Seong-hun.

Opening with USD 173,000 from 36 screens in North America, the disaster pic held well in its second weekend, dipping just 28% even after losing 10 screens. Over the four-day Labor Day weekend, the film posted USD 171,000, bringing its US total to USD 448,000 after 10 days on release. Well Go USA, which recently released THE WAILING (USD 783,000) and TRAIN TO BUSAN (USD 1.77 million), is distributing the film in the market.

In its first weekend on the UK charts, Tunnel grabbed USD 11,000 from six locations, which included theaters in London, Manchester and Birmingham. The film’s release there is being handled by JBG Pictures.

In Korea, the film just crossed the seven million admissions (USD 51.5 million) milestone, before being finally unseated from its throne by KIM Jee-woon’s Colonial Era action-thriller The Age of Shadows.

The film is also screening at several major global film events. It had its international premiere at the Locarno International Film Festival in August and will next screen at the Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia next month.

• 5 weeks later...

Best celebrity eaters

KBS World‘s “Entertainment Weekly” dedicated a segment to finding out which celebrity has the best on-camera eating style.

During the segment, the TV hosts analyzed the eating habits of different celebrities, such as Park Bo-gum, Jung Jun-ha and Deffcon. After conducting a survey they narrowed it down to three. 

Yoon-hoo, the son of singer Yoon Min-soo who has even shot several food commercials, came in at No. 3. Despite being very young, the child star has proven himself to be a formidable eater with his endless appetite for noodles. 

Hyeri from Girls’ Day came in second place. She demonstrated her tremendous appetite on MBC‘s variety show “Real Men.” She stretches her mouth to great lengths in order to eat her food in one go. 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20161101

First place went to Ha Jung-woo, who has been recognized over the years for his acting as well as his eating. His food fighter spirit was truly highlighted in his recent film, “The Tunnel,” where he shared dog food with a stray dog. According to the production staff, the dog food was real and not just a prop.

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com) | kpopherald

Korea’s top 10 movie stars of 2016

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20161103

HeraldPOP compiled a list of the top 10 Korean movie stars in terms of their films’ box office sales. 

No. 10: Son Ye-jin (5,861,609 viewers)

No. 9: Yoo Hae-jin (5,868,506 viewers)

No. 8: Lee Jung-jae (7,074,714 viewers)

No. 7: Song Kang-ho (7,499,766 viewers)

No. 6: Oh Dal-soo (8,000,421 viewers)

No. 5: Kwak Do-won (9,472,847 viewers)

No. 4: Kang Dong-won (9,706,695 viewers) 

No. 3: Ha Jung-woo (11,408,347 viewers)

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20161103

No. 2: Gong Yoo (19,268,927 viewers)

No. 1: Hwang Jung-min (21,909,564 viewers)

There are still 2 more months to go in 2016 so the list could still change.

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com) | kpop herald

Korea's Favorite Manly Men ranking 20-1[Entertainment Weekly / 2016.11.07]

1~ Ha jung woo
2~choi min soo
3~ won bin
4~ Ma dong seok
5~ hwang jung min
6~ So ji sub
7~ song kang ho
8~ Choi min sik
9~Jang hyuk
10~ Lee Jung jae
11~ Jung Woo sung
12~ choi jae sung
13~ Lee byung ghun
14~ Cha in pyo
15~ Jang dong gun
16~ park shin yang
17~ Kim sang joong
18~ Kim myung mi
19~ Jin goo
20~ Cha seung won

• 2 weeks later...

November 23, 2016

Bae Doo-na gifts Ha Jung-woo with coffee truck

(Showbox)

Actress Bae Doo-na recently gifted actor Ha Jung-woo with a coffee truck on the set of his upcoming film.

Bae‘s agency, SBD Entertainment, shared a picture of the coffee truck on their Instagram account on Tuesday. 

(SBD Entertainment)

Ha is currently filming his upcoming movie “With God,” and so to show her support, Bae sent the coffee truck with a banner that read, “To my husband who saved me from a tunnel, and is now with God, best wishes for your movie!” 

Bae and Ha played a married couple in the survival drama film “The Tunnel,” which is why Bae referred to Ha as her husband in the banner. She also wrote that he is now with God, in reference to his current film “With God.” 

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com)