Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Please don't be too disheartened @Lindyloo421.  Internationally, I'm more confident it will be a hit.  You can tell by this thread and the drama thread how popular it is.  Korea--I don't know; they may have totally different taste.  I want your experience to be a positive one.  Why don't you join our netflix party tomorrow?  

@Lindyloo421....don't be disheartened just as what @CarolynH has said. lets enjoy the moment and we shouldn't distract ourselves from the negative comments ( i know its easy to be said than done :w00t:). Apparently this all common at the start of all k-dramas so lets just wait it will pick up soon...we know for a fact that our hallyu king is definitely back and he has dominated social media presence again. 

• Like 9

Rough translation of a Korean article

'The King', from eyes to visuals ... Lee Min-ho's straight forward romance  :heart:

20200419095744249mkio.jpg

The emperor of a white horse riding in and out of the parallel world 'The King' Lee Min-ho, who makes imagination a reality, exploded the charm with 'high-class straight romance' and started the sniper shooting.

In the 2nd episode of SBS Geumto drama 'The King-The Lord of Eternity' (played by Kim Eun-suk, director Sang-Hoon Baek, Ji-hyun Baek, and 'The King'), broadcasted on the 18th, Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho) is a parallel world and his existence (Kim Go-eun) In order to prove to), I announced the beginning of fantasy romance to begin in earnest with an unprecedented straight forward proposal, "Inspector, I will greet you as my empress. You have just become the reason. I am bound to be in this world."  :wub:

In the first episode, Lee Min-ho, who broke up to the third emperor Igon of the 'Korea Empire' and announced his successful return with a more mature acting power and atmosphere, showed the true value of Rocoking in the second episode, where his relationship with Kim Go-eun, who is in another world 'Korea', was fully developed. Proved. In this broadcast, where Kim Eun-suk's unique ambassadors were poured, Lee Min-ho admired 'this is itself' with a wide range of emotional acting and character digestive power that sometimes misses the excitement, sometimes sire, and the breath of exchanging Tikitaka with characters and the right smile. I brought it up.

In particular, during the 70-minute depiction of Lee Gon's remarkable South Korean adaptation, Lee Min-ho bombarded the home theater with the charm of a straight man who added the emperor's dignity. When Taeul's personality, which he has longed for 25 years, is different from his imagination, he creates a 'earthquake' and expresses a desolate expression of all kinds of coldness that cannot exist in the Korean Empire. The expressive 'high quality straight romance' thrilled the woman's heart.

In the process, Lee Min-ho's heavy tone of voice and delicate acting of eyes that encompassed all the vast narratives added immersion. From the ambassador's heartfelt feeling, "Thank you. You've been somewhere somewhere, for 25 years." From the ambassador's stalking old palaces, bakeries, and chicken houses in downtown Seoul, the scene that orders "Is it a little?" Until now, Ion's unique lines were perfectly digested, giving excitement and laughter at the same time. Also, "You really shouldn't treat me like this. Because I'm so sorry." It also provoked a sense of sadness toward the sun, and the ending scene that Igon proposes at the moment recorded the highest viewership rating of 14.7% and peaked the day. I took it.

In addition, Lee Min-ho unleashes the charm of Lee Gon, a man who knows about the parallel world one by one, based on his sharp insights and judgment, while having the same face as the captain of the Imperial Guard, Jo Young (Woo Do-hwan), but 180 degrees different from Cho Eun-seop ( Woo Do Hwan) was shocked and showed various charms, including the appearance of 'Emperor' Lee Gon, who looked at the history of Korea where the dynasty disappeared and made a lonely expression.

It is noteworthy how Lee Gon, who is discovering the difference between the two worlds, will continue to ties with Tae-eul in the future, and will find Eun-in, who was saved by his mother 25 years ago, in Korea.

credit: https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20200419095744181

I find Lee Gon's character serious, noble, honest, and straightforward. It is refreshing that he is not a 'chundere' type like Hoe Junjae in LOTBS. :)  Correct me if I am wrong. Chundere is used for characters who are cold at first but then become warmer and express their feelings. 

• Like 11

Lee Min-ho returns after military service with The King: Eternal Monarch: 'My second chapter as an actor is starting now'

20200416_minho_a1.jpg?itok=BBvJr4J_

Our circuit breaker days ahead look happier already. 

After Crash Landing On You and Itaewon Class, the next big Netflix K-drama we've been waiting for, The King: Eternal Monarch, will premiere tomorrow (April 17).

Apart from the off-the-wall storyline, the drama also stars the very gorgeous Lee Min-ho. 

The 32-year-old has been away from showbiz the last three years serving his military service, but now, he's marking his grand return to the K-drama world with this series.

The King: Eternal Monarch is a fantasy drama about two parallel universes — one is a democracy that resembles modern-day Korea as we know it, while the other is an empire ruled by a single monarch.

In order to fight evil and close the door between the two worlds, the ruler of the Korean Empire — Emperor Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho) — joins forces with Jung Tae-eul (Kim Go-eun), a detective who resides in the present-day Republic of Korea.

Check out the latest trailer here:

AsiaOne met Min-ho in a video conference interview today (April 16) and spoke with him about his return and his new project.

Q: How did the three-year break change your perspectives and attitude as an actor or towards acting?

Min-ho: During the three-year break, I had the chance to look back on my decade or career as an actor and I was able to look back on what I wanted to do better, things that I believed I lacked in, as well as the values and purposes I want to set for my life as an actor in his 30s.

And of course as always, I spent a lot of time and put a lot of thought into how I can be better tomorrow than today, and better next year compared to this year. And I believe that my second chapter as an actor is starting now and because The King is the very first of this new second chapter, I really look forward to it.

20200416_cast_a1.jpg

Q: What are some similarities and differences between you and your character?

Min-ho: If I look at the similarities, Lee Gon thinks of the people and the country, and so the heavy weight that lies on his shoulders as well as the weight of the responsibilities are probably something way beyond what I can even imagine.

Although it's a lot smaller, I do have similar experiences in that I debuted at a very young age and I am now in my 13th year as an actor. I think the more my fan base grows, so does the responsibility that laid on my shoulders. So I think I can draw some similarity in that aspect with my character.

Regarding important issues, I also like to take my time and put in a lot of thought into making that decision. But once I make the decision, I am also really the type of person to go ahead and push forth with it. Another thing is, at different times, I can be witty, playful or easygoing so I would say that that's how I am similar to my character.

In terms of the differences, of course relatively, I have the privilege of leading a freer life as well as enjoying the little things in my life compared to my character.

20200416_minho3_a1.jpg

Q: How was it like working with writer Kim Eun-sook again, as well as with the cast?

Min-ho: It has been a few years since (K-drama) The Heirs that I have a chance to work again with writer Kim Eun-sook. I am very happy to say that I think I have matured more since then and we are also able to communicate a little more on a truer level.

And of course, I couldn't help but marvel at the abilities of writer Kim Eun-sook as I read this script, so I am really doing my best to make our second work great.

As for my experience working with the cast on this project, because we are all around the same age, it was more comfortable and fun or 'fierce', in terms of ambience on the set, so I really enjoyed it.

Q: How is The King different from your other works?

Min-ho: If I look at the work I have done in my 20s, I think that the characters I've played in a way is like a boyish character and it is a coming-of-age story portrayed by a boyish character.

However as for the role I play in this project, it is a more mature adult and of course, it does have the growth aspect of it but he is already a grown figure and also has a great burden on his shoulders so I would say that is the major difference.

Get ready

Spoiler

20200416_minho4_a1.jpg

From the released trailers and stills, we get a glimpse of Min-ho's charisma as a king in his royal uniform and we are swooning from the visuals.

The King: Eternal Monarch also stars Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam, and Jung Eun-chae.

https://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/lee-min-ho-returns-after-military-service-king-eternal-monarch-my-second-chapter

• Like 11
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Lindyloo421 said:

Ep 2 ratings are disappointing - 8.4 and 11.6. I’d love to know how many people are watching on Netflix instead of SBS. 

It’s so odd-it was trending on twitter worldwide yesterday- his IG account is over 13 million now and going up daily so the interest is definitely there.

Anyone any ideas about this?

Hi Lindyloo, in Korea, each drama is assessed by (2) companies : AGB Nielsen & TNmS, which occasionally come to the same conclusion on viewership numbers but (as Heretorant mentioned yesterday in her post) when they don't, their differences is usually between about 2-3%. Both relies mainly on TV set meters whose information is sent to headquarters for 2am analysis before it's released for the 7am news. Their reports are typically broken down into a "Seoul Capital Average" & a " Nationwide Average". For public broadcast like SBS, KBS, MBC, they aim their dramas to fall wIthin this range at least 7.5%-12% (average) since for them more than 12% is already great. As long as it doesn't fall below 7.5% (rated as poor).  :P

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, syntyche said:

MYM IG update

The 'Advanced Straight Romance' is a 70-minute net. The second episode of Lee Gon's visit to Korea is depicted, and the top of the scene is settled with an unprecedented proposal! Thank you for your bombing.. We look forward to the charm of Emperor Lee Gon, and we will be together for the 3rd and 4th time next week!

Hi syntyche, thanks for sharing this. So far, I like what I want to see in the drama. I usually having trouble watching any fantasy genres. But, this drama rule me, though. I was able to hang-on.  :P

• Like 3

Thank you CarolynH , Deepakmahajan and SophieH for your encouraging words re the ratings in an earlier answer to my post. - you were so right - The King is no. 1 on Netflix all over the place - Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Malaysia and even no. 2 in Korea.

isn’t that brilliant!

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

Oh it is on korean netflix which means many of traget youth audience  watched it there as well, because they knew they can watch it any time on laptop.. No need to wait for TV airing., Which affected ratings. Same slot shows are not on netflix which puts king at disadvantage.  It makes it even better.

So average rating for weeknd in 10.375% , which is fair start even more now. It still peaked at 14.7% at peak ratings during airing which means audience are interested. 

I would've  been worried if 8% ratings were for second half. But second half is 11% which is good sign!

@Lindyloo421

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Oh it is on korean netflix which means many of traget youth audience  watched it there as well, because they knew they can watch it any time on laptop.. No need to wait for TV airing., Which affected ratings. Same slot shows are not on netflix which puts king at disadvantage.  It makes it even better.

So average rating for weeknd in 10.375% , which is fair start even more now. It still peaked at 14.7% at peak ratings during airing which means audience are interested. 

I would've  been worried if 8% ratings were for second half. But second half is 11% which is good sign!

@Lindyloo421

@Deepakmahajan the other show that overlapped timeslot also not even on Viki. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, SophieH said:

@Lindyloo421....don't be disheartened just as what @CarolynH has said. lets enjoy the moment and we shouldn't distract ourselves from the negative comments ( i know its easy to be said than done :w00t:). Apparently this all common at the start of all k-dramas so lets just wait it will pick up soon...we know for a fact that our hallyu king is definitely back and he has dominated social media presence again. 

Hi SophieH, ye, ratings ticked up a little for EP2. LMH does suit the role of Lee Gon very well & looks good on his royal suit. Lee Jung Jin is apparently the devil in this show. I still haven't seen the chemistry between LMH & KGE. Even those lovey-dovey stares still don't work. Maybe things will start heating up for the next EP from that point, though.  :P

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Please don't be too disheartened @Lindyloo421.  Internationally, I'm more confident it will be a hit.  You can tell by this thread and the drama thread how popular it is.  Korea--I don't know; they may have totally different taste.  I want your experience to be a positive one.  Why don't you join our netflix party tomorrow?  

Hi CarolynH, I guess the drama will need at  least 4-EPs before viewers can fully settle in to enjoy the ride. Anyway, I'm happy that the series reached more than 10% in ratings for its pilot EP. I love Lee Jung Jin's acting in the show, he's the ultimate baddie! From the 1st EP his character, acting-wise is the best so far! Parallel universes isn't new in dramaland, so maybe K-audience varies. But, I love the storyline, biased aside. Let's see how the next EP next week unfolds!  :P

• Like 5

22 hours ago, syntyche said:

Stills from 2nd episode

Reveal hidden contents

optimize

https://www.news1.kr/articles/?3911209

Hi syntyche, thanks for sharing some captures from EP2. For me, that's great numbers for this EP, a decent one for a content that's on Netflix. I feel relieved. EP2 was a pleasant watch. It just got even better. LMH is as awesome as ever! It's far, so good! Next week's EP is crucial. I wish nothing but the best to the drama team! I hope the drama will keep up as the story progresses. I hope the fast-pacing will continue just like how it started.  :P

• Like 7

Hwa Sa mesmerizing vocal shines in beautiful "Orbit" music video from "The King: Eternal Monarch"

MAMAMOO's Hwa Sa debuts as a solo OST singer for SBS's 'The King: Eternal Monarch'!

Hwa Sa's  OST Part.2 for 'The King: Eternal Monarch' was released today. "Orbit" will serve as the ending theme song for the drama series, boasting a powerful mixture of hip-hop and guitar sounds. The lyrics depict an individual's vows to protect the ones they love.

This marks Hwa Sa's first-ever solo OST, approximately 6 years after her debut. Do you like Hwa Sa's OST at the end of SBS's 'The King: Eternal Monarch'?

credit: https://www.allkpop.com/video/2020/04/hwa-sa-mesmerizing-vocal-shines-in-beautiful-orbit-music-video-from-the-king-eternal-monarch

There is also another OST I heard in episode 2, the singer repeats the word "gravity" in it. Do you know the name of the singer?

• Like 5

2020042001001308400087931.jpg

The Return of the Korean Wave God
"Hallyu stars" are heating up the small screen one after another.

Lee Min-ho was the first to take the mound. Lee Min-ho made a comeback to the small screen three years after his military service with SBS' "The King-Eternal Monarch," which first aired on the 17th. Although there must have been a lot of love calls, he chose to play the role of Lee Gon, the emperor of the Korean Empire, amid infinite trust in writer Kim Eun-sook, who had produced good results with SBS' "The Heirs." 

Lee Min-ho is showing off his chemistry with Kim Go-eun (played by Jung Tae-eul), perfectly digesting Kim Eun-sook's ticklish dialogue as well as her still-looking appearance. In addition, the bromance with Woo Do-hwan (Cho Young), the commander of the Imperial Guard, is another point to watch. As soon as "The King" started, it surpassed 11 percent (Nielsen Korea, based on national standards), heralding a huge success. In addition, "The King" is known to have already collected production costs with profits from broadcasting rights and Netflix rights. If PPL profits are added to this, it is expected to record even more profit. It is said that Lee Min-ho's influence played its part.

Expectations are high not only for viewers but also for the industry. Amid a string of recent slumps in a series of dramas, Studio Dragon is looking for a chance to rebound with "The King" and "Youth Record." Industry sources also predicted a possible rise in stock prices. While dramas that have drawn expectations from the casting stage are taking off one by one, attention is being paid to whether Korean Wave stars representing Korea and abroad will be able to make their names.

http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/907282?ref=naver

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lindyloo421 said:

Thank you Syntyche for posting the article “The return  of the Korean wave god”

It says that LMH’s influence has played its part re the profits and it mentions PPL profits-does anyone know what PPL stands for?

Product placement. In episode 2 of the king, all the drinks that were given to Lee Gon during the library scene was product placement. It’s a way of advertising through the drama :D

• Like 6