Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

faith15-00051.jpg

Angry CY

:o

My first comment in DB about Faith and LMH in the spoiler below if you are interested.

Spoiler

I am new to this blog. I have just caught up reading the drama recaps and comments from Episode 1 till tonights.

I would like to give my take on Faith and LMH’s performance in this drama:

The drama’s main weakness has been the editing and the directing. The other drawback is the original concept as shown from the original trailer with Kang Ji Wan. It was supposed to be fusion-fantasy with a lot of special effects and it worked wonderfully in the original trailer but then they had used 3-D cameras and advanced equipment. I gather that they are not using the same equipment now but they are trying to recreate the same effects and it failed. So there is a lot of disappointment among viewers expecting epic.
This is a real shame because the premise is interesting. In a slew of time travel dramas, they have a modern woman meet an old style general. The coupling is unique. Imagine a modern, outspoken, materialistic woman and a traditional, Spartan, unemotional, macho captain from 600 years ago. The couple could not be more poles apart and that makes it fascinating.

Now I want to give my take on LMH characterization of CY. There were many comments about LMH not delivering. Comments such as he is too restrained, subdued and quiet, too young, don’t buy that he is a leader. No depth, dead inside, bored face, zombie-like, wooden, baffled by Eun Soo, too ‘light’ in comparison to some other characters (like his second in command, Lifeless and boring, unless Choi Young is supposed to be a robot, then no, LMH is not doing what he’s supposed to be doing… as in, acting, Even if Choi Young is supposed to be stoic and jaded, subtle display of emotion is still required from the actor… to enrich the character he’s playing… to show conflict between heart and mind… to show that the character has depth and complexity. Otherwise, is he not the most boring hero ever?

I checked the official description of his character, comments made by other characters during the drama. Basically, what his character is supposed to be is that he someone smart, naïve, a little quirky, but indifferent. He is quite talented in some ways but he is definitely a general we would never expect to lead the troops into battle. He is not the type of general that we would expect him to be, he is quite lazy and his hobby is to sleep for 2 to 3 days therefore meaning that he is lethargic, bored and laid back. He has been asleep for the last 7 years. He has no desire for money or woman (thus not ambitious). He does not strategize and just does frontal attack. He will try something and if he fails and he dies…oh, well. LMH himself says that Choi Young is not an expressive person and hard to portray.
Thus the character envisioned by the writer is someone who in the beginning is lackluster, bored, and lifeless, restrained, not expressive (meaning poker faced with no emotion showing on the surface, frozen like in his dreams. Suppressing his emotions up to a point where he no longer feels or cares.) It was mentioned that he became captain of the WooDalChi more as a punishment than a promotion. His job or duty is to protect the king so he does it but without passion or love but it as something he promised his teacher that he would do. Would someone serving more as a punishment want to excel in his job? He does not need to prove himself; he has no ambition to excel so he is definitely not a leader or wants to be one. He was probably given the position because of his super powers and fighting skills. He does the minimal of what he needs to do and leaves a lot to his second in command who is actually more of a leader and that shows in the drama. That is why they probably like and respect him because he gives them a lot of trust to do their job with minimal micromanaging. When he went through the portal, he asked the king to order him, he did not volunteer. He does not care to be a hero. It is very hard to portray a non-expressive or restrained person. He is supposed to be withdrawn, indifferent, and wooden in the beginning. My opinion is that LMH has delivered and does not really deserve the criticism of his acting being lackluster. He is supposed to be lackluster.

Where the film really fails at is its editing. I watched some of the fan made videos where they compiled various scenes into one You Tube clip, you really start to notice LMH's awesome depiction of CY. Maybe we should fire the film editor and use some of his fans instead.

The director has also failed to deliver and choreograph good action scenes even though Faith used the same action director as City Hunter. I wonder what the problem was. We know LMH can do action scenes as seen in City Hunter and looking at fan made gifs and action Faith scenes, LMH has some pretty nifty sword fighting moves. His sword slashing and twirling of his sword and spear look pretty cool.

I don’t say LMH is the greatest actor ever but he is pretty damn good, he has charisma, charm, the most wonderful smile and expressive eyes that convey a myriad of emotions. He does not have to say a word, his eyes reveal all. I love it when he stares at Eun Soo, you can see he is so enamored, fascinated, awed but yet perplexed by his feelings towards her, his eyes tells so much. He tries to hide his thoughts but his stare just reveals his feelings. When she gave him the flower, he looked at her questioningly and in bafflement. He shows all that through his eyes. He might be a warrior but as a man he is naive and unable to figure out the modern woman. I like how he peeked at Eun Soo as she pulled up her pants to look at her knee scrape during Episode 3. This is a man who is awakening to feelings of attraction to her but without realizing it. When he cried as the young king was dying and when he killed him, he did not over act, just the right amount of grief for a man who has submerged his feelings for a long time. I think LMH really expresses those emotions very well. In Korean drama sometimes it is really hard to do less acting and be more muted. Also he seems fine in letting others carry the scene. He is the lead but he does not act like he needs to be acting over the top so that he has to dominate every scene. It is hard to not over act especially in Kdramas when everyone seems to expect the lead to show emotions all the time. I think he does just the right amount. You see a gentle warrior, sensitive with a lovely enigmatic smile, yet fiercely protective of Eun Soo. LMH & KHS has managed to create a strong chemistry with each other even though there is an age gap. You don’t notice the gap. In the course of the drama you see the progression of an expressionless reluctant hero to a smoldering firebrand.

I am fascinated by LMH. He is probably one of the most famous Korean actors today but he seems so grounded. He is caring of his co-stars. He is always apologizing for his mistakes. He is always smiling and laughing and he seems to be keeping the morale up for everyone during the filming. He grew up handsome, popular, gained great fame at a young age. A lot of people in the US probably could not handle it and get illusions of grandeur or be a prick like some Hollywood stars. However he seems to remain sweet, and respectful. It could be Korean culture. LMH with all his fame has not let it change him like a lot of stars at the height of their fame might. I saw him at BOF but had no impression of him. As someone said in a forum, the elephant moment in CH was it for her and so it is the same for me. I started being interested in him after that. I am not a Kdrama fan. I have watched some and liked just a few. However there is something about LMH that keeps me interested in watching his dramas, watching his public appearances and BTS videos. He just has the “it” factor. The most attractive thing about him to me is his Mr. Nice Guy personality and killer smile. Famous yet he seems (underline "seems") to be so unassuming and modest.

CallieP

• Like 7

On 11/16/2018 at 10:18 PM, CallieP said:

faith15-00051.jpg

Angry CY

:o

My first comment in DB about Faith and LMH in the spoiler below if you are interested.

Reveal hidden contents

I am new to this blog. I have just caught up reading the drama recaps and comments from Episode 1 till tonights.

I would like to give my take on Faith and LMH’s performance in this drama:

The drama’s main weakness has been the editing and the directing. The other drawback is the original concept as shown from the original trailer with Kang Ji Wan. It was supposed to be fusion-fantasy with a lot of special effects and it worked wonderfully in the original trailer but then they had used 3-D cameras and advanced equipment. I gather that they are not using the same equipment now but they are trying to recreate the same effects and it failed. So there is a lot of disappointment among viewers expecting epic.
This is a real shame because the premise is interesting. In a slew of time travel dramas, they have a modern woman meet an old style general. The coupling is unique. Imagine a modern, outspoken, materialistic woman and a traditional, Spartan, unemotional, macho captain from 600 years ago. The couple could not be more poles apart and that makes it fascinating.

Now I want to give my take on LMH characterization of CY. There were many comments about LMH not delivering. Comments such as he is too restrained, subdued and quiet, too young, don’t buy that he is a leader. No depth, dead inside, bored face, zombie-like, wooden, baffled by Eun Soo, too ‘light’ in comparison to some other characters (like his second in command, Lifeless and boring, unless Choi Young is supposed to be a robot, then no, LMH is not doing what he’s supposed to be doing… as in, acting, Even if Choi Young is supposed to be stoic and jaded, subtle display of emotion is still required from the actor… to enrich the character he’s playing… to show conflict between heart and mind… to show that the character has depth and complexity. Otherwise, is he not the most boring hero ever?

I checked the official description of his character, comments made by other characters during the drama. Basically, what his character is supposed to be is that he someone smart, naïve, a little quirky, but indifferent. He is quite talented in some ways but he is definitely a general we would never expect to lead the troops into battle. He is not the type of general that we would expect him to be, he is quite lazy and his hobby is to sleep for 2 to 3 days therefore meaning that he is lethargic, bored and laid back. He has been asleep for the last 7 years. He has no desire for money or woman (thus not ambitious). He does not strategize and just does frontal attack. He will try something and if he fails and he dies…oh, well. LMH himself says that Choi Young is not an expressive person and hard to portray.
Thus the character envisioned by the writer is someone who in the beginning is lackluster, bored, and lifeless, restrained, not expressive (meaning poker faced with no emotion showing on the surface, frozen like in his dreams. Suppressing his emotions up to a point where he no longer feels or cares.) It was mentioned that he became captain of the WooDalChi more as a punishment than a promotion. His job or duty is to protect the king so he does it but without passion or love but it as something he promised his teacher that he would do. Would someone serving more as a punishment want to excel in his job? He does not need to prove himself; he has no ambition to excel so he is definitely not a leader or wants to be one. He was probably given the position because of his super powers and fighting skills. He does the minimal of what he needs to do and leaves a lot to his second in command who is actually more of a leader and that shows in the drama. That is why they probably like and respect him because he gives them a lot of trust to do their job with minimal micromanaging. When he went through the portal, he asked the king to order him, he did not volunteer. He does not care to be a hero. It is very hard to portray a non-expressive or restrained person. He is supposed to be withdrawn, indifferent, and wooden in the beginning. My opinion is that LMH has delivered and does not really deserve the criticism of his acting being lackluster. He is supposed to be lackluster.

Where the film really fails at is its editing. I watched some of the fan made videos where they compiled various scenes into one You Tube clip, you really start to notice LMH's awesome depiction of CY. Maybe we should fire the film editor and use some of his fans instead.

The director has also failed to deliver and choreograph good action scenes even though Faith used the same action director as City Hunter. I wonder what the problem was. We know LMH can do action scenes as seen in City Hunter and looking at fan made gifs and action Faith scenes, LMH has some pretty nifty sword fighting moves. His sword slashing and twirling of his sword and spear look pretty cool.

I don’t say LMH is the greatest actor ever but he is pretty damn good, he has charisma, charm, the most wonderful smile and expressive eyes that convey a myriad of emotions. He does not have to say a word, his eyes reveal all. I love it when he stares at Eun Soo, you can see he is so enamored, fascinated, awed but yet perplexed by his feelings towards her, his eyes tells so much. He tries to hide his thoughts but his stare just reveals his feelings. When she gave him the flower, he looked at her questioningly and in bafflement. He shows all that through his eyes. He might be a warrior but as a man he is naive and unable to figure out the modern woman. I like how he peeked at Eun Soo as she pulled up her pants to look at her knee scrape during Episode 3. This is a man who is awakening to feelings of attraction to her but without realizing it. When he cried as the young king was dying and when he killed him, he did not over act, just the right amount of grief for a man who has submerged his feelings for a long time. I think LMH really expresses those emotions very well. In Korean drama sometimes it is really hard to do less acting and be more muted. Also he seems fine in letting others carry the scene. He is the lead but he does not act like he needs to be acting over the top so that he has to dominate every scene. It is hard to not over act especially in Kdramas when everyone seems to expect the lead to show emotions all the time. I think he does just the right amount. You see a gentle warrior, sensitive with a lovely enigmatic smile, yet fiercely protective of Eun Soo. LMH & KHS has managed to create a strong chemistry with each other even though there is an age gap. You don’t notice the gap. In the course of the drama you see the progression of an expressionless reluctant hero to a smoldering firebrand.

I am fascinated by LMH. He is probably one of the most famous Korean actors today but he seems so grounded. He is caring of his co-stars. He is always apologizing for his mistakes. He is always smiling and laughing and he seems to be keeping the morale up for everyone during the filming. He grew up handsome, popular, gained great fame at a young age. A lot of people in the US probably could not handle it and get illusions of grandeur or be a prick like some Hollywood stars. However he seems to remain sweet, and respectful. It could be Korean culture. LMH with all his fame has not let it change him like a lot of stars at the height of their fame might. I saw him at BOF but had no impression of him. As someone said in a forum, the elephant moment in CH was it for her and so it is the same for me. I started being interested in him after that. I am not a Kdrama fan. I have watched some and liked just a few. However there is something about LMH that keeps me interested in watching his dramas, watching his public appearances and BTS videos. He just has the “it” factor. The most attractive thing about him to me is his Mr. Nice Guy personality and killer smile. Famous yet he seems (underline "seems") to be so unassuming and modest.

CallieP

Callie, I love your comments and think they are right on about LMH and his acting!  I particularly like your analysis of CY in the first part of the series. I would add that CY really seems to loosen up a bit in the middle section when he's wearing the headband (and has decided to live).  For example, he jokes with the Suribangs and laughs with ES as he's teaching her how to use a knife.  He has a wonderful smile as he's talking with ES and eating her soup.  Then in the latter part of the series, where he has what I can only call a haystack hairstyle, he becomes very passionate but very very serious.  I missed humor in the last part, but there is so much danger all around them (and to the king) that it's understandable.  And he's worried sick about ES and figuring out how to deal with losing his ability to wield a sword.  Still, I missed some humor in the last part, but that's how it was evidently written.  I can't speak to the directing, etc.,  but overall I loved his performance and how expressive he was able to be in a tough, stoic role.  I also enjoyed most of the action scenes, except his fight with Gi Cheol, which I thought was very badly choreographed.  LMH has taken on several action roles and seems to enjoy them.  He's quite athletic although he doesn't talk about that much.  Watching Faith was how I first saw LHM and is definitely my favorite role of his. I've watched it several times and still enjoy it!

• Like 5

faith15-00422.jpg

Spoiler

Episode 15

TquE3vh.gif

Choi Young is about to send someone to tell Jang Bin of Eun Soo’s ill condition, when Jang Bin suddenly arrives and asks Choi Young if the poison has spread in her body already. Jang Bin was sent by Lady Choi to see the poisoned Eun Soo. As Choi Young learns that she was poisoned, he offers the bottle of aspirin that she gave him. Jang Bin then reveals to him that she was poisoned by Deuk Heung, and he is to meet with him if he wants to get the antidote. He storms out of the house, and runs off to Deuk Heung’s place as he fires orders to the Suribang. The memory of the young king dying of poison crosses his mind.

2yenpoB.gif

He arrives at Deuk Heung’s place. Deuk Heung offers to talk things out, but Choi Young is in no mood to play games, so he overturns the table Deuk Heung has prepared. Deuk Heung reminds him he is royalty, but Choi Young punches him in the mouth, shoves him against the wall, and cuts the back of his neck. Deuk Heung fires back by threatening to kill Eun Soo, Choi Young’s girl.

Hfi5HYX.gif

Choi Young lets go of him, and asks him what he wants. He says he wants the King’s seal in exchange for the antidote. And he only got until morning.

Choi Young arrives at the King’s palace, and approaches the King’s entourage. He tells the King that Eun Soo has been poisoned, and to get the antidote, he needs to get his seal. The King refuses to give his seal, but Choi Young asks him if he still does not know why the people need a king, and who gave him the seal.  

GeXJo2I.gif

The Woodalchi attack him, but to no avail. They guard the room with the seal, only to find out that the seal has already been taken away. Choong Seok reports the incident to the King.

0WGr0pV.gif

X1osP6T.gif

Meanwhile, as Jang Bin attends to the ill Eun So, she dreams of herself treating a patient in Goryeo, but she’s dressed differently. She also dreams writing on a diary, “To Eun Soo.”

Choi Young brings the King’s seal to Deuk Heung, and the latter reveals that he would need more of the antidote in the coming days.

mXytKWT.gif

Choi Young watches on as Jang Bin gives Eun Soo the antidote. Choi Young notices that her hand is cold, so he holds her hand, and Jang Bin tells him that he should talk to her, as her consciousness will come first before her body responds.

mckQo2t.gif

Deuk Heung takes the seal to Ki Chul, and tells him that Choi Young has brought it to him. Ki Chul is in shock. Deuk Heung wants him to use the seal to enthrone him, and in exchange, he offers Eun Soo.

Gongnim orders the Woodalchi to keep the stealing of the seal under wraps.

Meanwhile, Ki Chul tells his brother that Deuk Heung is playing a dangerous game. His brother, however, is more worried about their men sent out to look for Eun Soo, and that they should call them back. Ki Chul insists that they keep on looking for her.

Gongnim tells Noguk of the stealing incident, and she can’t believe Choi Young would turn his back on him. However, she asks him to tell her exactly what Choi Young said. Gongnim realizes that he was thinking of the seal as a symbol of his throne, while Choi Young only spoke of the seal per se, which was a Yuan seal to begin with. He realizes that he knows nothing about his people after all, and he even yelled at the only citizen he knows, Choi Young. Noguk comforts him.

CLSj448.gif

Choi Young is at Eun Soo’s bedside, telling her of the things he would teach her. This, as she dreams of herself running towards an unconscious Choi Young. As she starts to cry in her sleep, Choi Young grabs her close. Jang Bin checks her pulse, then says that she has survived.

yhNhTSw.gif

AswA49f.gif

Lady Choi pays Choi Young a visit, and asks about Eun Soo, and on what’s his next step. He is to send her back to heaven, then jokingly asks if he should follow her there. He’s worried that Deuk Heung and Ki Chul would mess around with the seal, which would make the scholars bother the King. Lady Choi informs him that the King has figured out what he meant, Ki Chul has called for an emergency meeting, and Adviser Jo has been meeting up with Deuk Heung recently. The King is all by himself, but Choi Young is set on bringing back Eun Soo to heaven first.

tEdRo7U.gif

Eun Soo is awake, and asks Choi Young to help her up. She leans on him, and tells him her dream of her which she hasn’t seen before. She then reveals that she has figured out the date when the heaven’s door will open. She has to go back in a month, otherwise, she would have to wait for another 67 years.

21h0rgO.gif

Ki Chul calls for a meeting with the King and the council. He brings up the concern with the King not using his seal. Gongnim tells him he got rid of the seal, and that he plans on making his own one. Adviser Jo is adamant.

After the meeting, Adviser Jo sits down and talks with Deuk Heung, on him launching an attack against Ki Chul’s men. He asks about his offer on Ki Chul’s position and possessions, but Deuk Heung would need to be king first.

Choi Young prepares the medicine for Eun Soo. She asks him to feed it to her, as it looks bitter. Suribang ajumma and ajusshi watch them closely. He heads off to get the next dose of antidote from Deuk Heung.

207NB0r.gif

He arrives at Deuk Heung’s place, and Deuk Heung tells him the condition of spending the night talking about the world, before he hands him the next dose of antidote. Choi Young sits while Deuk Heung plays badook by himself. Choi Young senses something, so he takes up his sword. Ki Chul enters, and is surprised to see Choi Young there. He was expecting Deuk Heung to give him word if he meets up with Choi Young.

Meanwhile, Ki Chul learns that the royal guards have ambushed them. But then realizes that the King would not order that without Choi Young. He figures Deuk Heung was behind the plot, so he threatens to attack him with his powers. Choi Young stops him with his sword. Ki Chul fires back, and he orders his men outside the capital to attack the palace, and he’ll hold the King hostage. As Ki Chul leaves, Choi Young turns his sword on Deuk Heung. Deuk Heung offers to talk through it. Choi Young is now in a dilemma on who to save -  the King or  Eun Soo.

IAAE5JX.gif

Comments:

Woah! Deuk Heung is not that laid back after all! He actually is cunning and deceptive. He did grow up in the streets, so I guess he would have to have the smarts in order to survive. And I thought Ki Chul is the most evil one here.

Eun Soo’s dream is interesting. So it appears she’s not just a random doctor that came from the heavens. She might actually have a big and important role.

I like the physical closeness of Choi Young and Eun Soo here. He no longer has that awkwardness when she gets close to him. And I am loving his show of care for her. So far from his indifferent character during the early part of the series.

@CallieP, your comments are on point! Yes, the character of Choi Young is supposed to be indifferent and laid back to begin with. Having watched other LMH dramas, he is actually convincing in the Choi Young role, that I miss seeing his myriad of facial expressions. A smile from Choi Young is actually rare, at least in the early part of the series, that I swoon whenever I see him smile. I think he is that effective in portraying Choi Young's role in Faith.

• Like 6

@msdotI agree with your statement " I also enjoyed most of the action scenes, except his fight with Gi Cheol, which I thought was very badly choreographed. "

That fight was very awkward and not realistic.

@syntyche ," I swoon whenever I see him smile. I think he is that effective in portraying Choi Young's role in Faith."

I love his smile too.

Spoiler

This is a great episode. When Dr. Jang said  Deuk Heong was behind the poisoning, imagine his guilt. His sweet gesture of giving the aspirin to Dr. Jang was in a way funny too. Aspirin cures all :lol: The way he trashed the table and was willing to torture Deok Heong and his aggressive dagger killing look at Deok Heong was scary. You see a really furious and desperate CY now. How much he cares for his imja.

Then he goes to the king asking for the royal seal. He already took it so he was testing the king, asked where he got the seal from and that does he not know who he serves as a king. His fighting here is awesome too as he fights his men without hurting them.

The scene between the king and queen is revealing, she asks the right questions and gets the king to think and realize what CY was saying to him and he knows how to be ashamed of himself and that he let CY down yet again. As CY says, the king knows how to be ashamed.

The scene with CY talking to the unconscious ES and then squeezing her medicine and feeding her while the two old couple looks on is so cute. Also when ES asks CY to sit next to her, so she can lie on him. He is embarrassed by yet eager to be touching her.

When she told him the door opens in 30 days, you can see the utter misery in his eyes though he wants her to go and be safe. He is so conflicted, go but do not go. Poor CY, what a conundrum.

I also enjoyed most of the action scenes, except his fight with Gi Cheol, which I thought was very badly choreographed.    I also enjoyed most of the action scenes, except his fight with Gi Cheol, which I thought was very badly choreographed. 

In this episode too, you see CY forgetting his sword. ES is now the most important thing in his life. He is fiercely protective and any threat to her initiates his wrath. Many gentle scenes with ES and CY.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

20181120 on duty.

cr Logo

Hi gtLmh, thanks for sharing TODAY's pictures. :P

15 hours ago, chdom said:

He’s in the mood to look more polished this week. Bringing the coats out. Handsome as usual. Think I’m going to re-watch LOTBS, his visuals were on point. 

Hi chdom, I noticed that, too & I've mentioned this in my post here some days ago. :P

• Like 1

This Is What 20 Of Today’s Biggest K-Drama Stars Look Like In Their First Roles Vs. Their Latest Roles

From their first roles to their latest.

1.  Lee Min Ho

Debut role: 2003, on Secret Campus as Park Du Hyeon

secret campus

Latest role: 2016, on Legend Of The Blue Sea as Heo Joon Jae

legend of the blue sea

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : koreaboo

• Like 4