Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

10 K-Dramas With The “Rich/Poor” Trope That Are Actually Good

Ah, the epic “rich/poor” trope in K-drama land is just one part of the formula for an entertaining and dramatic series. It’s a trope that is pretty predictable, yet we can’t help but get sucked into it. There are obviously times when dramas fail to impress and we’re left with just a cliche K-drama that lacks depth, but I’m here to reveal some K-dramas that have this popular trope and are actually pretty good. Here’s a look at 10:

Boys Over Flowers

boys-over-flowers.jpg

In terms of the rich/poor trope, “Boys Over Flowers” is a classic. It stars Lee Min Ho as Gu Joon Pyo, a really rich high school student who is a bit of a jerk, but he ends up falling in love with the daughter of a dry cleaning store, Geum Jan Di (Ku Hye Sun). Despite being from different backgrounds, the two end up falling in love with each other and it’s pretty enjoyable to watch. There’s something about seeing a poor girl get an epic makeover and being whisked off to a sandy beach that is so romantic.

Although it’s an older series, it’s one that people will re-visit time and time again. It’s got charming characters and a whole lot of good-looking rich people doing crazy rich things. It’s fun living vicariously through fictitious K-drama characters sometimes!

boys-over-flowers.gif

https://www.soompi.com/article/1287063wpp/10-k-dramas-richpoor-trope-actually-good

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

20190118 on duty.

cr Logo

Hi gtLmh, thanks for sharing TODAY's pictures. :lol:

1 hour ago, LSGLMH_88 said:

any update on his Grand Comeback Project???

Hi LSGLMH , I hope we could get to hear good news about this soon. :lol:

10 K-Dramas With The “Rich/Poor” Trope That Are Actually Good

Ah, the epic “rich/poor” trope in K-drama land is just one part of the formula for an entertaining and dramatic series. It’s a trope that is pretty predictable, yet we can’t help but get sucked into it. There are obviously times when dramas fail to impress and we’re left with just a cliche K-drama that lacks depth, but I’m here to reveal some K-dramas that have this popular trope and are actually pretty good. Here’s a look at 10:

Boys Over Flowers

boys-over-flowers.jpg

In terms of the rich/poor trope, “Boys Over Flowers” is a classic. It stars Lee Min Ho as Gu Joon Pyo, a really rich high school student who is a bit of a jerk, but he ends up falling in love with the daughter of a dry cleaning store, Geum Jan Di (Ku Hye Sun). Despite being from different backgrounds, the two end up falling in love with each other and it’s pretty enjoyable to watch. There’s something about seeing a poor girl get an epic makeover and being whisked off to a sandy beach that is so romantic.

Although it’s an older series, it’s one that people will re-visit time and time again. It’s got charming characters and a whole lot of good-looking rich people doing crazy rich things. It’s fun living vicariously through fictitious K-drama characters sometimes!

boys-over-flowers.gif

Start watching “Boys Over Flowers”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 1

Hi guys! Quick question, I know many of you have watched Faith: The Great Doctor. I don't speak Korean. So I've always watched with ENG subs. However, certain subs sometimes give different translations.

In episode 5 when Choi Young says that he came personally for Eun Soo, does he say because he LOVES her? Or because he LIKES her? I've seen translations with both....

By the way, I'm a huge fan of LMH. I think Faith is his best work. So I hope to see him starring in MORE period/costume/historical dramas. I think such dramas really work for him.

Of course, my wish would be to see him starring with Kim Hee-Sun again. But I know that's unlikely since they are probably choosing different types of projects at the moment. I just loved their chemistry a lot. And both are talented actors.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2019 at 10:09 PM, CallieP said:

Memories of Alhambra is in my opinion the best cable K-drama I have seen with a great story, content, production values, directing and quality.

Why am I talking about it here. It is because I hope LMH will do a cable drama with this writer, production team and director. :)

Hide contents

I love the part where CY is in such distress before going into his room to find ES missing and he destroys her jars in frustration. The steely Daejang is getting emotional and angry. I also love the part where he tells her that he was greedy, that he retracts his request of asking her to remain with him and not return to heaven. He was asking too much. That was the hardest part for him. He is frustrated that he promised to protect her but he could not even do that, not with his hand shaking hand. Both LMH and KHS were excellent here. Both their acting was spot on. Her not wanting to be alone and willing to die in his arms so long that they can spend her last days together with him in Goryeo.

I also love the relationship between the king and queen. Derp face Ki Chul makes me laugh. He is evil but at the same time likeable not like king’s uncle.

I agree with both parts of your post , @CallieP! I eagerly await each new episode of Memories.. on Netflix. Great way for LMH to continue world-wide exposure.

Not sure what other stars have done in Korea as their military/alternative service winds down, but I´ve been struck by the total lack of anything new on LMH. Perhaps there´s some regulation about no mass communication until their service has ended. If that´s the case, we may not hear anything until he´s actually out. And like @CallieP, I also hope it´s more of a drama like City Hunter or Faith. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, msdot said:

Not sure what other stars have done in Korea as their military/alternative service winds down, but I´ve been struck by the total lack of anything new on LMH. Perhaps there´s some regulation about no mass communication until their service has ended. If that´s the case, we may not hear anything until he´s actually out. And like @CallieP, I also hope it´s more of a drama like City Hunter or Faith. 

There's this thing called media play, which he doesn't do. Lot of actor/actress reveal their project offer even though they are going to reject it.

• Like 4

ptvwQIf.gif

Spoiler

Faith Episode 24 (Final) 

Ki Chul is brought before the King. Powered up by some magic go juice, he attacks the king’s men. Choi Young arrives, swordless. Dol Bae sees his trembling hand, so he charges for Ki Chul, who swiftly gets out of his way and grabs him by the neck. His icy hand throws him to the ground. Choi Young attacks Ki Chul, then runs over to Dol Bae. He dies in his arms, smiling.

UkUYSUW.gif

Choi Young faces Ki Chul. He asks for someone’s sword, tells everyone to step back, and asks Chung Seob to get the King out of there. King refuses to leave, and even tells him to step back just this once. Choi Young says there’s nothing wrong with his hand, it’s just that the sword is heavy. He continues on to fight with Ki Chul, and finally beats him and cuts his sword in half.

hFbqWBV.gif

Eun Soo wakes up, and Lady Choi helps her up. She feels dizzy, but with her fever gone and pulse back to normal, she soon realizes that she’s cured.

stOl7Cq.gif

Choi Young asks for Gongnim’s permission to kill Ki Chul, but Gongnim prefers to keep him alive. Ki Chul then offers Choi Young the king’s throne, since he’s the one the people know, not Gongnim. It’s a familiar quandary to Choi Young, as he flashes back to the time when his master was killed by then king, who feared that the people trusts the Jeokwoldae leader more than they trust him. Choi Young answers, “I already have the King. What more should I want?” He once again asks Gongnim if he wants to keep Ki Chul alive, but Ki Chul manages to escape.    

tlQgjsg.gif

Meanwhile, Hwasuin invades Eun Soo’s room, as she is preparing to escape with Lady Choi and Dae Man. They fight her off, then finally kills her. Unfortunately, Eun Soo is kidnapped by a Woodalchi and is carried away in a carriage with Ki Chul’s minion. Choi Young learns from Dae Man that Eun Soo has disappeared.

2VNIPDF.gif

u3MuZhY.gif

Queen Noguk arrives at the king’s place, and they are shown the few things the invaders left behind – Hwata’s instruments and pages from Eun Soo’s diary. Gongnim laments that he should suffer for keeping Eun Soo in Goryeo. But she tells him to share that suffering with her, and the reason for it is the heaven word she learned from Eun Soo. 

am6dALJ.gif

As Choi Young enters his room, he sees his aunt who tells him that the fire woman’s body was probably taken by Eum Ja, so somebody else must have taken Eun Soo. He finds relief when he learns that Eun Soo is cured, but wouldn’t settle staying put to wait for her. He leaves with his sword.  He then goes to Gongnim, who asks him if he would follow Eun Soo when he finds her. He said he already gave him his answer, and wouldn’t follow the path of his master. “I already came back for you.  So please help me take my woman back.”

PqBlLnR.gif

GGoODyv.gif

As Choi Young leaves, he gets the report that the Sulibang has been shadowing Ki Chul, and that one of their new members was a spy.

Meanwhile, Eun Soo awakens with Eum Ja’s sword on her throat. Ki Chul tells him to step back. He then tells her to go with him to heaven, and he has Hwa Ta’s last will to tell her how to get there. She opens the box, and is startled as she sees the relic.    

YReIw70.gif

Choi Young learns that Ki Chul is headed North, so he goes after them, alone.

In the carriage, Eun Soo warns Ki Chul that she doesn’t know where heaven’s door leads to. She’ll just take him there and she’ll stay behind. He insists that they go together.

The next morning, Choi Young arrives at an inn where he just missed Eun Soo, but was able to see her handwritten note on the wall in heaven’s letters.

4YrrR1Y.gif

At their next stop, Eun Soo offers to check Ki Chul’s pulse. He refuses. Just then, they hear a loud knock at the door. It’s Choi Young, and he easily fights off Ki Chul’s men, and even stabs Eum Ja to death. Ki Chul runs off.

Choi Young looks around the inn, and finally sees Eun Soo. He makes sure that she’s okay, then pops the question, “Then now you’re going to stay with me?” She says yes. He pulls her into a hug, and she cries in his arms.

5RsBAJP.gif

As he watches over her as she lies in bed, he asks her if she wants to bid farewell to people across the door when it opens tomorrow. She warns that Ki Chul might be there, but he can beat him in a fight. He then gazes at her trying to remember this moment, now that he doesn’t have to forget her. She traces his nose and lips, and he kisses her hand then tells her to sleep.

Gkc9D98.gif

The next day, Ki Chul tries to go through heaven’s door but gets thrown off. He then sees Choi Young and Eun Soo approaching, so he asks her how to get through the door. He calls her a liar when she tells him that he just has to go through it. He tries to attack her, but Choi Young fights him off and hits him with his sword from the back. Choi Young then grabs his wrists, but Ki Chul grabs him back, then freezes him until he falls to the ground. Eun Soo runs towards the paralyzed Choi Young, then tries to revive him. Ki Chul, however, sticks Choi Young’s sword in the ground beside him and drags Eun Soo towards the door. He shoves her through the door, but he still gets rejected, until the door closes and he falls to his knees.

OTsMYcU.gif 

Eun Soo goes through the portal and finds herself back home to present time. She runs to the hospital and gathers some supplies, including a reporter’s backpack, and a similar but newer version of Hwa Ta’s relic. She rushes back towards the portal and goes through it, but doesn’t find Choi Young where she left him. The door has now closed, and it turns out that she is left alone in a world that is 100 years earlier than the world where Choi Young was left dying.

In that world she now lives as Hwa Ta, with her diary, necklace, and film case at hand, including the final relic that turns out to be a projector.

uVomjUX.gif

Once she visits the heaven’s door, it opens, so she goes through it and finds herself back to present day, but then goes right back in. She goes to an inn and finds Goryeo soldiers. She learns that it has been five years since the present king got the throne. She realizes that she’s back to King Gongnim’s time, as she recognizes the Woodalchis. She overheards them talking about the general heading to the hill again, where he usually stays for three nights.

x0roXyE.gif

She runs to the hill.. and there, sitting by the giant tree, is an older, more grizzled Choi Young, waiting faithfully for her to return. He turns to her and smiles, not surprised at all that she’s just appeared out of nowhere after all this time. A tear falls as she walks toward him, finally in the right place at the right time.

rq66Yic.gif

Comments:

Withdrawal syndrome, yet again. But I’m satisfied with how this all turned out.

So the shaking of Choi Young’s hand is in fact something psychological. He was still able to fight off Ki Chul and his men anyway, especially when provoked. Now our general has got his thoughts and heart straight and decided not to follow the footsteps of his master. I didn’t expect that his master’s death would be linked at this time, but it made sense that Choi Young used that moment to decide on his fate now as general. He has returned to Gongnim, and I am more than happy to see him back at his side.

Hurray for Eun Soo getting well! But treating poison with poison was a risky move, and yep, she needed a lot of faith that she would get that one shot at getting cured.

Noguk is the perfect queen that complements King Gongnim. She’s not afraid to speak her mind, and would not hesitate giving her total support to him. It was heartwarming to watch their love blossom throughout the drama.

So Ki Chul is back to the top spot of baddies. His greediness is frightening really, and thank goodness the portal won’t let him through. And I must say, I was quite relieved that fire lady and flute guy are no more. Clever thinking for Dae Man beating fire lady with wet cloth.

Finally, Choi Young asks Eun Soo the question, “Then now you’re going to stay with me?” And lovely scene when they’re in bed and are gazing lovingly at each other. “I’m trying to remember this moment, now that I don’t have to try to forget you.” I’m so happy for Choi Young for finally being able to say that. But during those scenes, I felt that something would tear them apart again. And true enough, as they are separated by something one may not even comprehend.

When Eun Soo was shoved in by Ki Chul through the portal, I expected her to immediately come back right through. But she headed to the hospital and took some supplies to cure Choi Young. I commented last episode that I felt the story is coming in full circle, and I see that here, too, with Eun Soo getting hospital supplies to take back to Goryeo world. Well, not only in a full circle, but more like a loop, as it is finally revealed that Eun Soo is Hwa Ta herself, who has been thrown off to a period a hundred years earlier. So it turns out Hwa Ta was not merely there to cure people, but she’s motivated really to help bridge the fate of Choi Young with hers. Hence her leaving the diary for her future self, including the film canister which I think is a perfect way to preserve a note underneath a rock for years, but also a creepy way in a period years before the camera was even invented.

I love how Choi Young wasn’t even surprised to see Eun Soo back. He kept the faith that she will come back for him, as she already answered ‘yes’ to his question of her staying with him.  

During the rewatch of the first episode, I already laid out my observation on the production of this drama. But despite its budget problems, among others, now I see why Faith is endearing to most fans. The story revolves around the love between Choi Young and Eun Soo, and the way it slowly unfolds is captivating to watch. From the transformation of indifferent and unmotivated Choi Young to a protecting and loving partner for Eun Soo, to the choosing of Eun Soo to stay in a foreign world to be with her loved one, are testaments to our imja couple learning, not merely to be alive, but how to actually live their lives. And most importantly, having faith that their love is strong enough to transcend time and space.

Finally, on Minho’s acting. I remember reading a comment about him being stiff in his acting here. I think that is exactly what his character requires. Nevertheless, his expressive eyes are more than enough to convey the emotions of his character. Another reason why fans love Minho on Faith. 

BTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34pnMGlj24

Thanks, @CallieP, @Latifah_ for recapping the show with me.Thanks also to @CarolynH, @1ouise, @msdot and everyone for your comments!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

So the final episode. I love it when CY said he is dying because ES is missing to his aunt. When the king asked if CY was coming back. He said I already told you I am your man so help me get my woman back. He knows she is fine and recovered so he intends to have her stay with him. Yayy!

When he finally rescues her, he asks expectantly and with a lot of love so will you stay with me forever then? When they were in bed together, he says, I do not have to look at your face to remember any longer. How sweet?

Lastly, what do you think of the ending there were a lot of discussions about it? Some wanted a kiss. Others wanted a hug. Some liked it as it was. A hug or kiss would be nice but I think the ending was appropriate. This is Goryeo not modern day Seoul. The long wait, the looking at each other and smiling seems like an appropriate ending. I like the way CY tendering looked at her. The look says everything, no need for kissing at the moment. LMH did very well with that expression.  Comments? What do you think of unshaven LMH? Cute, manly, weird, strange?  I like it.:D

Thanks for your recap @syntyche.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

cr for translation lmhworldsubs

Aww, don't you just want to hug him?  He looks so young and vulnerable; nothing like CY.

Spoiler

FAITH-FINAL EPISODE

Argh, I lost what I originally wrote, so this is the Reader's Digest version.

Thanks @syntyche for your recap.  Thanks also to Latifah and @CallieP for recapping Faith.  @msdot and @1ouise thanks for your comments.  

I was happy to see firelady die; I was getting tired of her.  I did feel a bit sad when flute boy died.  He didn't seem mean like his sister; he just did was he was told.  Did everyone like the ending?  I would preferred the two running across the field and embracing.  But, at least both had tears in their eyes.  

I enjoy reading the comments in DB which were mostly amusing.  This episode the majority of comments were about LMH's facial hair in the final scene.  Most thought he was pretty hot, manly, with the facial hair.  Personally, I prefer his facial hair in GB.  

What I love about Faith is the relationships:  CY and ES, the King and Queen, CY and the Woodalchi, and CY and the King.  There was only one kiss and not a passionate one, but I didn't mind.  There were so many moments-my favorite CY tracing ES's profile that IMO depicted an emotional love not just a physical one.  I really saw a connection between ES/CY as well as LMH and KHS in this drama.  LMH seemed so at ease with KHS despite their difference in age.  I would not mind seeing them in another drama together.  

What I didn't enjoy:  the political turmoil with the statesmen etc.  I also really did not like that ES was poisoned twice.  Like most people, I was one who said "again"?  Perhaps the drama was shortened by 4 episodes, it may have made a difference.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

All of these gifs are AMAZING. 

And I agree that both actors did an incredible job in Faith. 

Spoiler

I don't know if need to use spoiler tags for this question since it might be more of an opinion/hypothesis. With all the traveling back and forth between different time periods that our heroine was doing during those 5 years of separation, did she get older by 5 years? Or did she stay the same age since it was sort of traveling back/forth and never staying in one period of time for too long....CY looked older in the last scene because 5 years passed in his time. But it seems that she stayed the same age in the last scene. It's something I've seen fans discussing years back. 

What do you guys think? 

• Like 3

Final thoughts on LMH in Faith:

Thanks recappers and everyone for your comments!

8 hours ago, syntyche said:

I love how Choi Young wasn’t even surprised to see Eun Soo back. He kept the faith that she will come back for him, as she already answered ‘yes’ to his question of her staying with him.  

I love this too!

8 hours ago, CallieP said:

Lastly, what do you think of the ending there were a lot of discussions about it? Some wanted a kiss. Others wanted a hug. Some liked it as it was. A hug or kiss would be nice but I think the ending was appropriate. This is Goryeo not modern day Seoul. The long wait, the looking at each other and smiling seems like an appropriate ending. I like the way CY tendering looked at her. The look says everything, no need for kissing at the moment.

Yes, I agree!  I think the ending was appropriate.  I know that they did hug and kiss later, and I like ending with the tender, tear-filled smiles that came first.  The ending shot with the tree is beautiful.

4 hours ago, CarolynH said:

What I love about Faith is the relationships:  CY and ES, the King and Queen, CY and the Woodalchi, and CY and the King.  There was only one kiss and not a passionate one, but I didn't mind.  There were so many moments-my favorite CY tracing ES's profile that IMO depicted an emotional love not just a physical one.

You are right!  The relationships make Faith great.  And I think the love we saw between CY and ES was deep and meaningful, worth aspiring to.

From episode 23:

tumblr_plnpv6Xzdo1w2zf0ho4_540.png

tumblr_plnpv6Xzdo1w2zf0ho1_540.png

tumblr_plnpv6Xzdo1w2zf0ho2_540.png

Spoiler

tumblr_plnpv6Xzdo1w2zf0ho3_540.png

I like tall, long-legged LMH with big, warm hands, a deep voice, high laugh, ready smile, and kind heart.  :wub:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great comments, everyone! The last scene is almost anticlimatic to me. I was disappointed a bit that there was no kiss or at least a hug. But there were so many other touching and/or exciting scenes throughout the series that I felt very satisfied.

This series is unforgettable. All the main characters were terrific, and of course LMH was outstanding and well-deserved his acting award.  Writer Song was evidently quite taken with his performance, saying that she contributed 70% to creating the CY character and LMH contributed 130%. She also said that in her mind, Choi Young will forever be LMH.

I´ve been reading the 99 mini-stories (!) titled “Less than 100 years” that depicts CY and ES´s life after the series ends.  The author does a good job of capturing CY´s character, in my opinion. It´s on fanfiction.org.

Lastly, special thanks to the recappers! Great job!

Spoiler

My favorite scenes in the series:

Ep 1 where CY lands in modern day Seoul, which is amusing until the true cold warrior emerges when CY cuts the security guy´s neck

Ep 2 where the true cold warrior rescues ES

Ep 3 where CY and ES confront each other in the Woodachi barracks

Ep 7 where CY´s heart is broken by having to kill the prince

Ep 8 when Gongmin visits CY in prison, and CY decides to start living again

Ep 12 when ES tends to CY and he notices her tears, and later his monologue about really living and questioning what he´s doing

Ep 14 when they hide with the Suribangs and play truth or dare; CY traces her face on the screen

Ep 17 when CY confronts ES and the king´s uncle, and of course, The Kiss!

Ep 18 when CY asks if she is still so far from him

Ep 21 CY´s proposal; oh man, what a touching statement of love!

Ep 22 when CY is so weary of killing but soldiers on to protect the king

Ep 24 when CY rescues ES and asks if she´s stay with him, and their sweet bed scene

I could list many more. I was just captivated!

Things I found funny or amusing:

-when ES tells CY to “Shuttup!” after stabbing him

-Gi Cheol in his quirkiness and rages, not to mention his hairnet

-poisonings - what, again?!

-the incompetence of the woodachis

-the flute guy´s hair

-LMH´s three different hairstyles - loved them all!

-when CY says he´ll try to make ES laugh but he´s not very good at that

-ES joining the Woodachis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

All of these gifs are AMAZING. 

And I agree that both actors did an incredible job in Faith. 

Hide contents

I don't know if need to use spoiler tags for this question since it might be more of an opinion/hypothesis. With all the traveling back and forth between different time periods that our heroine was doing during those 5 years of separation, did she get older by 5 years? Or did she stay the same age since it was sort of traveling back/forth and never staying in one period of time for too long....CY looked older in the last scene because 5 years passed in his time. But it seems that she stayed the same age in the last scene. It's something I've seen fans discussing years back. 

What do you guys think? 

In a set of Q&A´s, I believe writer Song said that ES spent one year in the older time period (100 hundred years before CY´s time) but for CY it was 4 years apart from ES. So time in the two places didn´t run concurrently. ES had already spent a year in Goryeo during Gongmin´s time, so in Ep 24 when she asked how long the current king had been in power, the answer was “5 years.”

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

On 1/19/2019 at 7:37 AM, tshering12 said:

@willenette what do u want his next project to be??  I hope its a drama. And i also want to see him with han hyo joo or song hye kyo in future projects.

Hi tshering, like you, I prefer a drama for his comeback project. The longer we could get to look at him on the screen the better..... But, I trust LMH, though for his decision on this. I will always support him! :lol:

• Like 4

8F0QXmQ.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34pnMGlj24

cr: Lee_min_ho_333 _ Yuki

Spoiler

For the ending scene, it seems like they did film a version where they hug. But as you can see in this gif (full video here. Same BTS video I shared earlier, but it can't be embedded here), Eun Soo's huge hat was getting in the way. So I guess they just did away with a hug, or even a kiss. But personally, I think the ending worked. As I said earlier, LMH can express loads of emotions through his eyes. Just watching his eyes and face was enough to move me. And the closing scene with the tree is somewhat poetic.

I like all his hairstyles. As to the unshaven look, I think his facial hair at GB was more natural-looking.

@CarolynH, LMH does look comfortable with KHS. If I remember right, I think I read somewhere that she is his favorite female co-star.

Wow, @msdot, you have quite a list of favorite scenes! Yep, there are a lot of remarkable scenes in Faith.

• Like 3