Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

“Pachinko” Wins Best Foreign Language Series At 28th Critics Choice Awards

“Pachinko” Wins Best Foreign Language Series At 28th Critics Choice Awards

“Pachinko” has achieved a big win at the Critics Choice Awards!

The ceremony for the 28th Critics Choice Awards was held in Los Angeles, California on January 15 (local time).

“Pachinko” and “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” were nominated for Best Foreign Language Series alongside “1899,” “Borgen,” “Garcia!” “The Kingdom Exodus,” “Kleo,” “My Brilliant Friend,” and “Tehran,” and the award went to “Pachinko.”

Korean film “Decision to Leave” was also nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, but the award ultimately went to “RRR” from India.

With awards won by “Minari” in 2021, “Squid Game” in 2022, and “Pachinko” in 2023, Korean productions have now won at three consecutive Critics Choice Awards.

Congratulations to the “Pachinko” team!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563080wpp/pachinko-wins-best-foreign-language-series-at-28th-critics-choice-awards

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

LMH/MYM update 

Drama Pachinko, starring Actor Lee Minho, has won the best foreign language series at Critics Choice Awards 2023.

Congratualtions on winning the award for the Pachinko team who is favorably noticed by press and critic from the world in 2022 and 2023.

You can find Lee Minho's passionate performance which made the world "Pachinko-holic" on Apple TV+. #28thCriticsChoiceAwards #Pachinko #BestForeignLanguageSeries

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, willenette said:

@backstreetboysfan  "Pachinko" won the trophy in the TV category to beat eight other contestants. Netflix's 'Extraordinary Woo' was nominated along with 'Pachinko' for the same category, however, the award went to 'Pachinko.' Again, congratulations! Well deserved!   

Yeah, I did know that, I love both. Yes Congrats to them.

• Like 4

Korean-language works win Critics Choice Awards for 4 consecutive years

'Pachinko' named Best Foreign Language Series

spacer.png

Apple TV+'s original series "Pachinko" has become the Best Foreign Language Series at this year's Critics Choice Awards, making it the fourth time for a film or a series in the Korean language to win a prize at one of the acclaimed U.S. awards.

The series beat eight other nominees, including another Korean-language series "Extraordinary Attorney Woo," at the ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday (local time).

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Min Jin Lee, the epic saga tells the story of a Korean immigrant family across four generations from the perspective of Sunja (Kim Min-ha), the family's matriarch.

It starts early in the life of Sunja, who is born to a hard-working family in the southeastern port city of Busan during the 1910-45 Japanese occupation of Korea. After being forced to move abroad to Japan, she struggles to protect her family through devastation and tragedy while trying to find a sense of belonging in a foreign land. The later life of Sunja is played by veteran actress Youn Yuh-jung.

A large part of the series was filmed in the Korean language, with Japanese and English also being used.

"Pachinko," which was released last March, has garnered popularity with its well-made cinematography and its heart-wrenching, dynamic story of a family. Following the eight episodes, the production of the second season has been confirmed.

The series was named one of the best TV programs of the year by the American Film Institute (AFI) last month and has been scoring several wins at awards, including the Best Breakthrough Series for a Long Format (over 40 minutes) at last year's Gotham Independent Film Awards.

Founded in 1996, the Critics Choice Awards is presented by the Critics Choice Association to recognize the finest cinematic achievements. The win of "Pachinko" in this year's awards has again shown enhanced attention to Korea-related content or content made by Korean creators in recent years.

Spoiler

Bong Joon-ho and his "Parasite" won Best Director and Best Foreign Language Film in 2020; "Minari" and Alan Kim clinched the Best Foreign Language Film and Best Young Actor awards in 2021; and Netflix series "Squid Game" and Lee Jung-jae notched the Best Foreign Language Series and Best Actor in a Drama Series awards in 2022.

Although failing to win an award, "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" was also nominated for the Best Foreign Language Series category.

The Korean-language films and series that have won awards or been nominated at the Critics Choice Awards were all in different genres, from legal dramas and survival thrillers to the history of the Korean diaspora, showing that various sides of Korea-related content are recognized globally.

Director Park Chan-wook's Cannes-winning film "Decision to Leave" was also nominated for this year's award for Best Foreign Language Film, competing with Germany's "All Quiet on the Western Front," France's "Close" and India's "RRR," but failed to score a win. The trophy went to the Indian action film "RRR."

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/01/688_343692.html

• Like 5

17 hours ago, syntyche said:

Korean-language works win Critics Choice Awards for 4 consecutive years

'Pachinko' named Best Foreign Language Series

Apple TV+'s original series "Pachinko" has become the Best Foreign Language Series at this year's Critics Choice Awards, making it the fourth time for a film or a series in the Korean language to win a prize at one of the acclaimed U.S. awards.

The series beat eight other nominees, including another Korean-language series "Extraordinary Attorney Woo," at the ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday (local time).

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Min Jin Lee, the epic saga tells the story of a Korean immigrant family across four generations from the perspective of Sunja (Kim Min-ha), the family's matriarch.

It starts early in the life of Sunja, who is born to a hard-working family in the southeastern port city of Busan during the 1910-45 Japanese occupation of Korea. After being forced to move abroad to Japan, she struggles to protect her family through devastation and tragedy while trying to find a sense of belonging in a foreign land. The later life of Sunja is played by veteran actress Youn Yuh-jung.

A large part of the series was filmed in the Korean language, with Japanese and English also being used.

"Pachinko," which was released last March, has garnered popularity with its well-made cinematography and its heart-wrenching, dynamic story of a family. Following the eight episodes, the production of the second season has been confirmed.

The series was named one of the best TV programs of the year by the American Film Institute (AFI) last month and has been scoring several wins at awards, including the Best Breakthrough Series for a Long Format (over 40 minutes) at last year's Gotham Independent Film Awards.

Founded in 1996, the Critics Choice Awards is presented by the Critics Choice Association to recognize the finest cinematic achievements. The win of "Pachinko" in this year's awards has again shown enhanced attention to Korea-related content or content made by Korean creators in recent years.

Hide contents

Bong Joon-ho and his "Parasite" won Best Director and Best Foreign Language Film in 2020; "Minari" and Alan Kim clinched the Best Foreign Language Film and Best Young Actor awards in 2021; and Netflix series "Squid Game" and Lee Jung-jae notched the Best Foreign Language Series and Best Actor in a Drama Series awards in 2022.

Although failing to win an award, "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" was also nominated for the Best Foreign Language Series category.

The Korean-language films and series that have won awards or been nominated at the Critics Choice Awards were all in different genres, from legal dramas and survival thrillers to the history of the Korean diaspora, showing that various sides of Korea-related content are recognized globally.

Director Park Chan-wook's Cannes-winning film "Decision to Leave" was also nominated for this year's award for Best Foreign Language Film, competing with Germany's "All Quiet on the Western Front," France's "Close" and India's "RRR," but failed to score a win. The trophy went to the Indian action film "RRR."

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/01/688_343692.html

@syntyche  thanks for sharing this. The Critics Choice Awards are held every year in January. Winners are selected by about 600 critics in the North American region. The K-Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism sent a congratulatory message to the production team of "Pachinko" yesterday, Monday, saying in the message that the portrayal of the lives of Korean immigrants in Japan and the United States was depicted with "outstanding sensitivity."    Meanwhile, we will wait for the second season. The eight-part new season will also be produced in three different languages -- English, Japanese and Korean.   :Megathanks:

• Like 3

22 hours ago, syntyche said:

LMH/MYM update 

Drama Pachinko, starring Actor Lee Minho, has won the best foreign language series at Critics Choice Awards 2023.

Congratualtions on winning the award for the Pachinko team who is favorably noticed by press and critic from the world in 2022 and 2023.

You can find Lee Minho's passionate performance which made the world "Pachinko-holic" on Apple TV+. #28thCriticsChoiceAwards #Pachinko #BestForeignLanguageSeries

@syntyche  thanks for sharing this update from MYM. I noticed that most of the attention was on the movie side as it's getting close to Oscar nominations.   :ohboy2:

• Like 4

On 1/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, backstreetboysfan said:

Yeah, I did know that, I love both. Yes Congrats to them.

@backstreetboysfan  yes, it's great to see it being acknowledged. 'Pachinko' itself is beautiful in cinematography and plot.. I read the novel and I personally also enjoyed the drama. The drama depicted a lot more of the sorrow and resistance of the grass roots movements during the colonial period. It's an amazing drama. The book is also truly a masterpiece. I recommend reading the book as well in case you haven't read it.  As I've said, the drama was amazing but there's so much more to reading about it that the drama can't live up to. I'm just a bit sad and feel bad that the drama isn't very much well known because it's exclusive to Apple TV+. It needs to be brought to the public broadcast channels so that more people can and are able to watch it.   :heart2:   Critics Choice Awards is evaluated as one of the major awards ceremonies that can predict the Oscars’ winners.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

LEE MINHO Time for Flash Back! Hightlights of LEE MINHO 2022

We had so many awesome issues like the <Pachinko> on Apple TV+, the most talked-about news at New York-Milan Fashion Week, and so on. Hope we see more excellent news about LEE MINHO in 2023! 

• Like 6

On 1/17/2023 at 2:14 AM, syntyche said:

LEE MINHO Time for Flash Back! Hightlights of LEE MINHO 2022

We had so many awesome issues like the <Pachinko> on Apple TV+, the most talked-about news at New York-Milan Fashion Week, and so on. Hope we see more excellent news about LEE MINHO in 2023! 

Syntyche - thank you for this. It has been a great year- his reception at the 2 fashion shows was incredible- his performance in Pachinko was overwhelming- the glimpses of ATS being filmed- fabulous. Plus he gets more and more gorgeous!. For me one

of the best moments was when the Variety interviewer at the Pachinko premier called him “ one of the biggest stars in the world”. 

I agree with Willenette  that it is a shame that its audience base was limited by being on apple-  I read that Netflix also wanted it but Soo Hugh preferred apple, and what a masterpiece she created.

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote Tweets that contain images, gifs or videos. Thanks!
  • Like 5
  • Awesome 1

'Pachinko' wins Critics' Choice Award for Best Foreign Language Series

usr_1673928295878.jpg

The cast and creative team of the Apple TV+ series "Pachinko" on Jan. 15 pose with their trophy after winning Best Foreign Language Series at the 28th Critics Choice Awards in Los Angeles.

By Jung Joo-ri

Apple TV+'s original Korean TV series "Pachinko," which features the turbulent lives of Korean residents of Japan, has won Best Foreign Language Series at the Critics' Choice Awards of the U.S. 

The Critics Choice Association on Jan. 15 gave the drama the honor at its 28th awards ceremony held at the hotel Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles.

The association represents American critics of broadcast and cinematic content and its awards are considered among the most prestigious in the U.S. along with the Golden Globes and Emmys.

Based on the eponymous novel by Korean American author Min Jin Lee, the eight-episode series depicts the lives of four generations of an ethnic Korean family in Japan from the 1910s to the 80s.  

The series beat out the following outstanding candidates for the award: the hit ENA Korean drama "Extraordinary Attorney Woo"; Netflix's "1889," "Borgen" and "Kleo"; HBO Max's "Garcia!"; Mubi's "The Kingdom Exodus"; HBO's "My Brilliant Friend"; and Apple TV+'s "Tehran." 

"Pachinko" is the second Korean-language series to win the Critics' Choice Award for Best Foreign Language Series, with "Squid Game" being the first last year. With director Bong Joon-ho's film "Parasite" winning best foreign film in 2020 and director Lee Isaac Chung's "Minari" earning the same honor in 2021, Korea-related movies and dramas have won honors at this event for four consecutive years.

Apple TV+'s original Korean TV series "Pachinko," the story of four generations of an ethnic Korean family in Japan, won Best Foreign Language Series at the Critics Choice Awards of the U.S. (Apple TV+)

Commemorating the win, Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Park Bo Gyoon sent a message congratulating and encouraging the series' production team. 

In his message, he said, "I applaud the directors who portrayed the history of Korean immigrant society with creativity and superb capacity and the cast for their passionate portrayal of the immigrants' lives and dreams," adding, "'Pachinko' captured the reality of immigrant society through outstanding sensitivity to attract sympathy from around the world."

"I look forward to being impressed by works that keep captivating the hearts of people around the world," he added. "I will support you along with the people of the Republic of Korea." 

etoilejr@korea.kr

credit : Korea.net

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, willenette said:

@CallieP  yes, I noticed that, too. At first, I thought all along it was just me and only here in my side. Domain name is up for sale, they want $100,00 for the name. IDK why. I was quite confused by the fact that Koreandrama.org has gone!  Usually, I always check the latest Korean drama and its ratings from this site. Now, sigh.....I cannot connect/open the site anymore. You know, most of visitors on this site come from mobile devices.   :weary::tears:

Right and every year they have a vote for the best drama and that is gone too. :frown:

• Like 1

My favorite couple :heart:

Wow, 8 years!  I can't believe it's has been 8 years since I watched this movie with a theater full of Minoz. I hope everyone has an opportunity to watch a LMH movie in a theater with Minoz.  

• Like 4

[#LEEMINHO] You've got a plan!

2023 Project of LEE MINHO

<When the Stars Gossi> filming is still going on with LEE MINHO's passion.

And the drama series that acclaimed enthusiastic applause from the start, Pachinko's season 2 Apple TV+, will be starting soon for production.

Please give lots of support and love to actor LEE MINHO, who will get all these projects done in 2023.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 2

10 Best Underrated Romantic Comedy K-Dramas To Have On Your Watchlist

Find out the best underrated romantic comedy K-Dramas to have on your watchlist.

6. "Personal Taste"

10 Best Underrated Romantic Comedy K-Dramas To Have On Your Watchlist

MBC

When: 2010

Cast: Lee MinHo, Son YeJin, Kim JiSeok

Summary: The cohabitation story of a fake gay man and a girl who is always betrayed in love.

Why watch?: This drama will never be too old. The two actors acting draw the viewers into their characters. The story is comic and addictive. Overall, this is a good romantic comedy.

Note: The word "underrated" for this drama is still debatable. It is a popular drama yet however rarely mentioned compared to other Lee MinHo's dramas.

giphy.gif

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/10-best-underrated-romantic-comedy-k-dramas-to-have-on-your-watchlist/

• Like 5