Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

[Friday Flashback] City Hunter

by DaebakGrits
June 3, 2022

ocr

Released: 2011

Genre: Thriller, Revenge, Romance

Synopsis: After his father is murdered by a group of government officials to cover up their unsanctioned operation in North Korea, Lee Yoon-sung (Lee Min-ho) is raised by his father’s best friend and trained to be a killer. Now an adult with an impressive (illegally obtained) pedigree, he returns to Seoul to systematically bring down the five men responsible for his father’s death. Along the way he encounters Kim Nana (Park Min-young), a newly appointed secret service agent at the Blue House. Will Yoon-sung be able to follow through with his plans, or will Nana — and their flirtatious banter — distract him from his mission?

Spoiler

ocr

Why You Should (Or Shouldn’t) Watch City Hunter:

I’m just going to get this out of the way right now: this is — hands down — my favorite Lee Min-ho drama. I think it is largely due to the fact that this role is so vastly different from his others. Yeah, he’s still a little too perfect to be true (with a face like that, it’s hard not to be, am I right?) but his character in City Hunter is less polished and more dynamic than his other roles. Instead of playing the careless rich playboy, his character uses that persona as a cover for his real identity: a kickass warrior — with a soft spot for the weak and helpless — bent on avenging his father’s murder. It adds a whole new element to his character’s personality that’s immensely appealing.

The heroine of City Hunter is just as interesting. At first, she appears to be another Candy type, working an endless list of part-time jobs to save for her comatose father’s medical bills, but not long after we meet her, she gets a job as a secret service agent at the Blue House. How badass is that? I’m a sucker for a leading lady who can kick butt, and the scenes where she spars against Yoon-sung as part of their inter-departmental feud are a fun extension of their bickering and a flex of her skills — even if Yoon-sung lets her win to maintain his non-threatening playboy cover story.

ocr

Although there is a romantic side-plot between Yoon-sung and Nana, the core story focuses on Yoon-sung’s revenge against the five men who ordered his father (and his fellow soldiers) to be executed after completing an unsanctioned assassination mission in North Korea. The lone surviving soldier, Lee Jin-pyo (Kim Sang-joong), kidnapped baby Yoon-sung and raised him to possess all the skills necessary to hunt and kill the men responsible.

Despite the harsh conditions of upbringing, though, Yoon-sung never developed the heart of a killer to go along with his martial arts and shooting skills. So instead of murdering the five men — and quickly putting them out of their misery — Yoon-sung goes against his adoptive father’s wishes and plans to systematically expose their corruption and ruin their public images one-by-one. Buuuut… well, let’s just say his attempts to take the moral high ground with his vengeance don’t go according to plan.

And that’s part of this drama’s appeal. Our protagonists and antagonists are more gray than your typical “good guys” and “bad guys,” and the complexity of these characters leads to some unpredictable — and often emotional — situations.

Our hero is a vigilante out for revenge, but his heart is pure and his motives are misguided. And the man whose betrayal hit Jin-pyo the hardest, is not the evil and corrupt politician that you want to see crash and burn. As far as revenge plots go, this one is tightly-written, multi-faceted, and presented in a way that is interesting to the audience.

Spoiler

ocr

ocr

So, does City Hunter stand the test of time? Well, I’m biased — I love a thriller with a side of romance — but I think it holds up extremely well. To be fair, it’s also the most recent Friday Flashback I’ve covered so far. So I feel obliged to acknowledge that it’s still relatively new enough to have benefited from more modern cinematography styles and avoided the clichés of the early 2000s that are both a bit distracting and cringeworthy many years later. Even so, I would say City Hunter has aged better than some of its more recent genre counterparts (and if this sounds like I’m throwing a little shade at the recently concluded revenge drama Again My Life, it’s because I am.)

It’s also worth mentioning the great fighting and action choreography, which is not only fun to watch, but will stick with you years later. I’m looking at you spoon scene. (If you know, you know.)

ocr

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/06/friday-flashback-city-hunter/

• Like 6

Looking at the old works, Studio Dragon has many so-called global hits.
It's a little disappointing that there is no big work like Pachinko , but the number of productions is steadily expanding.
The most promising work in the future is #イ·ミンホ starring "Ask the Stars".

• Like 6

12 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina said:

[Friday Flashback] City Hunter

Why You Should (Or Shouldn’t) Watch City Hunter:

I’m just going to get this out of the way right now: this is — hands down — my favorite Lee Min-ho drama. I think it is largely due to the fact that this role is so vastly different from his others. Yeah, he’s still a little too perfect to be true (with a face like that, it’s hard not to be, am I right?) but his character in City Hunter is less polished and more dynamic than his other roles. Instead of playing the careless rich playboy, his character uses that persona as a cover for his real identity: a kickass warrior — with a soft spot for the weak and helpless — bent on avenging his father’s murder. It adds a whole new element to his character’s personality that’s immensely appealing.

The heroine of City Hunter is just as interesting. At first, she appears to be another Candy type, working an endless list of part-time jobs to save for her comatose father’s medical bills, but not long after we meet her, she gets a job as a secret service agent at the Blue House. How badass is that? I’m a sucker for a leading lady who can kick butt, and the scenes where she spars against Yoon-sung as part of their inter-departmental feud are a fun extension of their bickering and a flex of her skills — even if Yoon-sung lets her win to maintain his non-threatening playboy cover story.

Although there is a romantic side-plot between Yoon-sung and Nana, the core story focuses on Yoon-sung’s revenge against the five men who ordered his father (and his fellow soldiers) to be executed after completing an unsanctioned assassination mission in North Korea. The lone surviving soldier, Lee Jin-pyo (Kim Sang-joong), kidnapped baby Yoon-sung and raised him to possess all the skills necessary to hunt and kill the men responsible.

Despite the harsh conditions of upbringing, though, Yoon-sung never developed the heart of a killer to go along with his martial arts and shooting skills. So instead of murdering the five men — and quickly putting them out of their misery — Yoon-sung goes against his adoptive father’s wishes and plans to systematically expose their corruption and ruin their public images one-by-one. Buuuut… well, let’s just say his attempts to take the moral high ground with his vengeance don’t go according to plan.

And that’s part of this drama’s appeal. Our protagonists and antagonists are more gray than your typical “good guys” and “bad guys,” and the complexity of these characters leads to some unpredictable — and often emotional — situations.

Our hero is a vigilante out for revenge, but his heart is pure and his motives are misguided. And the man whose betrayal hit Jin-pyo the hardest, is not the evil and corrupt politician that you want to see crash and burn. As far as revenge plots go, this one is tightly-written, multi-faceted, and presented in a way that is interesting to the audience.

So, does City Hunter stand the test of time? Well, I’m biased — I love a thriller with a side of romance — but I think it holds up extremely well. To be fair, it’s also the most recent Friday Flashback I’ve covered so far. So I feel obliged to acknowledge that it’s still relatively new enough to have benefited from more modern cinematography styles and avoided the clichés of the early 2000s that are both a bit distracting and cringeworthy many years later. Even so, I would say City Hunter has aged better than some of its more recent genre counterparts (and if this sounds like I’m throwing a little shade at the recently concluded revenge drama Again My Life, it’s because I am.)

It’s also worth mentioning the great fighting and action choreography, which is not only fun to watch, but will stick with you years later. I’m looking at you spoon scene. (If you know, you know.)

It is one of my favorite too, he is so bad-RickRoll'D here.  It is a shame it is hard to find it nowadays after DramaFever was bought off.  Viki should try to get it.  Netflix showed it a long time ago.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, CallieP said:

It is one of my favorite too, he is so bad-RickRoll'D here.  It is a shame it is hard to find it nowadays after DramaFever was bought off.  Viki should try to get it.  Netflix showed it a long time ago.

@CallieP, I completely agree with you and also love City Hunter very much. It would be great if Netflix would show this great series, because it has a lot of fans and great acting. This would raise Lee Min Ho's popularity among viewers.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

LEE MIN HO REVEALS HOW НЕ REALLY FELT WHEN НЕ WAS ON HIATUS

Actor Lee Min Ho had nothing but words of thanks to his fans as he revealed how felt to go on hiatus while serving in the military. What message was he sharing with MINOZ?

In this celebrity's career, we find many highlights and moments that left their mark for one reason or another, from Lee Min Ho 's debut as an actor, the accident that led him to take a long break, the drama that launched him to stardom and of course, his military service and the K-Drama with which he returned to the screen. Every admirer of this Korean actor is familiar with each of those times, even he did not experience it as fan of Lee Min Ho as it is part of the trajectory and evolution that he has followed while he shines playing characters. When he entered the military service he had to put his career on hiatus and when he returned he prepared a surprise for his fans through '8 Letters', collection of clips where he opened his heart with MINOZ.

LEE MIN HO DEDICATES LETTERS TO FANS WHO SUPPORTED HIM EVEN DURING MILITARY SERVICE

In the eighth letter that would mark the end of the 8 Letters episodes, Lee Min Ho talked about the pause he had to take, as he knows very well that was not a short time and it was inevitable that some concerns would come to him, that's why revealed his feelings at that time: However, he assured that those feelings never overcame him because he had something that gave him strength even when he doubted. Every time that happened, the fans were there to cheer him on and give him complete confidence, which really helped him move forward.

MINOZ GOT A WARM THANK YOU FROM LEE MIN HO IN HIS LETTER

After confessing his true feelings in the face of the hiatus he experienced, Lee Min Ho pointed out that the first part of his career (before military service) was able to be carried out successfully because he and the fans shared moments and created great connection, but now he was ready to start the second part of his journey and now he had mission in mind. The K-Drama actor said that he wanted to thank fans, so he would strive to give them good times hoping that when they look back, they would really remember their moments as fans with joy. AWW!

https://www.nacionrex.com/doramas/Lee-Min-Ho-revela-como-se-sintio-realmente-cuando-estuvo-en-hiatus-20220531-0007.html

This K Drama Actor is Considered the Shah Rukh Khan of Korean Film Industry

Technology is connecting people beyond geographical locations like never before. One of the best mediums which have crossed the barriers of place is entertainment in general and music in particular. People from all parts of the world enjoy movies and music, irrespective of the language.

Ever since the coronavirus lockdown, Korean movies and music have seen a huge rise in consumption. They are the go-to for entertainment after Hollywood movies across the world. 

One of the most popular Korean actors is Lee Min Ho. For the unversed, this K actor is considered as the SRK of the Korean movie industry because of his immense popularity, especially among girls. Everyone is going crazy over him.

spacer.png

https://english.sakshi.com/news/entertainment/k-drama-actor-considered-shah-rukh-khan-korean-film-industry-156083

Short K-Dramas That You Should Binge-Watch Right Now!

Bored on the weekend? Here are some short K-Dramas for you to binge your way through. Or maybe you’re one with not much time to spare but in need of entertainment, then you’re at the right place! These short K-Dramas will be worth every minute of your time so say hello to a guilt-free binge session. From good plots to heartstopping characters, everything is portrayed in the bite-sized episodes of these dramas.

We have curated the top 10 K-Dramas with minimum runtime that we think will help you unwind. More often than never, Korean dramas often have intricate episodes that are at least an hour long. However, when life gets chaotic and you need a Handsome Oppa on-screen to help you escape reality. You can count on these Short K-Dramas to do the job for you!

Top 10 Short K-Dramas

The series we have included in the list includes dramas that either have few episodes or are with extremely short runtimes. Nevertheless, they will succeed in helping you experience the true essence of Korean dramas!

spacer.png

7 First Kisses

Lead Cast: Lee Min Ho, Lee Jong Suk, Ji Chang Wook.

Duration to complete the series: 1.5 hours (Approx)

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video

Min Soo-Jin, a regular employee at a Lotte duty-free store, has no prior relationship experience. She is turning 25 and wishes to have the perfect romance with the perfect boyfriend. In this romantic comedy, she encounters the mysterious goddess of date who brings her wish to reality. When was the last time you were this lucky? From looking for a man to have to choose between seven different men, her life is not so regular anymore! Watch the series to watch Soo Jin live the literal y/n life! Moreover, the series was an initiative of the Lotte Duty-Free campaign!

https://otakukart.com/short-k-dramas-that-you-should-binge-watch-right-now/

• Like 7

NEW EVENT!  

Favourite K-Dramas based on Web - Novels, Webtoons & Manhwa  

Vote NOW!  :piggydance:

Chingus, love them or hate them! You can’t ignore them. :coolshades:

K-Dramas inspired from manhwa, webtoons and web-novels are making a big splash in the entertainment industry. Vote for your favourite K-Dramas and let us know the ones you absolutely hated.

re:  Your friendly neighbourhood EO Team

@confusedheart @Sleepy Owl @agenth and @partyon

• Like 1

Jang Keun Suk turned out to be the savior of Lee Min Ho's career that even the despised will regret for the rest of their lives

Cellina Ratri
- June 6, 2022

348483999.jpg

JakTimNews.com - It turns out that Jang Geun Suk is the savior of Lee Min Ho's career!

Who doesn't know the handsome actor Lee Min Ho? He is one of the best artists in South Korea.

Its popularity even shines in different countries, including Indonesia.

Lee Min Ho is not only handsome but also has amazing acting skills.

In 2022, Lee Min Ho is praised for his success as the lead in the drama Pachinko. Lee Min Ho played his role as a mean man, Ko Han Soo, very well.

It is known that Lee Min Ho is known for the drama Flowers over Berries, which aired in 2009.

790486339.jpg

The drama stars Lee Min Ho and Goo Hye Sun. The actor, now 35, plays a rich young man named Goo Jun Pyo.

The role is highly iconic because Goo Jun Pyo is known to have curly hair and a smiling face.

Due to the success of the drama, Lee Min Ho is still known as Goo Jun Pyo.

But it turns out that the role of Goo Jun Pyo was not originally intended for screenwriter Lee Min Ho.

Initially, it was actor Jang Geun-suk who was offered the role of Goo Jun-pyo in Flowers Over Berries.

Jang Geun Suk is said to be the perfect fit for the arrogant and wealthy Goo Jun Pyo.

Unfortunately, Jang Keun Suk turned down the offer and chose the drama Beethoven Virus. Since then, many have said that the Love Rain star would regret dropping the drama Flowers Over Berries for the rest of her life.

Spoiler

815561545.jpeg

Thanks to Jang Geun Suk's rejection, Lee Min Ho seemed to have a windfall.

His popularity immediately skyrocketed with the drama Flowers Over Berries. Offers to star in commercials rained down on him.

Lee Min Ho is also selling well for being offered a rich man drama. One of them is the drama "Heirs", which was released in 2013.

In the drama, Lee Min Ho is still playing a conglomerate boy who falls in love with a poor girl.

Although the storyline is very general, the drama was a huge success thanks to the performance of Lee Min Ho as well as his co-star Park Shin Hye.

Translation from indonesian google

https://jaktimnews.pikiran-rakyat.com/infotainment/pr-894664003/jang-geun-suk-ternyata-dewa-penyelamat-karir-lee-min-ho-malah-dicibir-bakal-menyesal-seumur-hidup

I love both actors Lee Min Ho and Jang Geun Suk, they are so talented and so different! As for chance, I believe that in life everything happens according to the will of heaven. Lee Min Ho didn't get the role of Gu Jun Pyo by chance - it's his destiny, and Jang Geun Suk has a very interesting role in Beethoven's Virus.

• Like 5