Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

The History of Lee Min-ho | A Legendary Handsome Korean Actor in 2019

Lee Min-ho ( born June 22, 1987) is a South Korean actor and singer. He first gained widespread fame in Korea and parts of Asia with his role as Gu Jun-pyo in Boys Over Flowers in 2009. The role won him a Best New Actor award at the 45th Baeksang Arts Awards. He is noted for his leading roles in City Hunter , The Heirs and Legend of the Blue Sea. The success of Lee's television dramas throughout Asia established him as a top Hallyu star. Lee starred in his first leading role in film with Gangnam Blues, followed by his first China-produced film Bounty Hunters .

Cr. Top 10Awards

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The post of hyunwoodaa :

잘생긴 얼굴만큼이나
성격도 너무너무 잘생긴 선배님!

덕분에 촬영하면서 너무 즐거웠습니다!

Google translation :

As good as a good-looking face
Personality is so handsome, too!

Thanks so much for shooting!

Hope we may see the new CF soon.   :love:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, gtLmh0622 said:

The post of hyunwoodaa :

잘생긴 얼굴만큼이나
성격도 너무너무 잘생긴 선배님!

덕분에 촬영하면서 너무 즐거웠습니다!

Google translation :

As good as a good-looking face
Personality is so handsome, too!

Thanks so much for shooting!

Hope we may see the new CF soon.   :love:

who is he?

It's Gangnam 1970/Gangnam Blues weekend!  I'm about 45 min into the movie.  You may want to be careful who is around you as you watch the movie if you haven't already seen it.  I was watching during my lunch hour and had to be careful who was around me while watching certain scenes.  :open_mouth:  I'm looking for the movie thread, but can't find it yet (how hard can this be?!:angry:).  There are so many characters that I need a cheat sheet to keep track of them.  Please provide your comments on LMH"s performance in this movie if you want to participate.  If you have any questions, including where to watch, please PM me.  

Separately, @gtLmh0622, do you know if the Hallyu ban in China imposed before LBS is still in effect ?  I haven't heard anything, so I'm curious.  

PS:  You may notice that the gif on the first page is missing.  I deleted it as @syntyche has created a new one!  yahoo!  I will attempt to insert the new one this weekend.

• Like 7

• CarolynH changed the title to Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 [UPCOMING DRAMA 2020: THE KING: THE ETERNAL MONARCH] [HAPPY 33RD BIRTHDAY-JUNE 22!]

th?id=OIP.j1TsaiYXDbApVjSUIcIs1gAAAA&w=1

1e88c203bf34930d8b350646a46aa16b.jpg&f=1

thief-600x467.jpg&f=1

The French actor,  director Yoo Ha was referring to.

For some of you watching Gangnam Blues for the first time or second time, I am curious about your opinion about the movie and LMH's acting. Hope you will comment.

Spoiler

I think LMH absolutely killed it in this drama. I think the movie itself is also the best of the trilogy. I saw the first and second before this and they were very violent and had nudity as well. One must be aware that this is very common in Korean movies - violence and nudity, very different from K-Dramas so one must be ready for a different perspective. (Aside, LMH did not go nude but Kim Rae Won who is a more seasoned actor did. I think LMH or the director cognizant of his Hallyu status felt it might be too shocking for his minions of fans which I think he did the right thing since it is his first major movie. He did film a love scene not sure how racy or bold like Kim Rae Won’s scene did but it was taken out, supposedly not relevant to the movie.)

I thought the movie was very well made and historically authentic. This time around, I watched the movie for its artistic value - old buildings, cars, clothing, how the country was in 1970, the choreography, the way the fight scenes were done, there were not many guns at that time and most people used sticks, axes, knives, spades, shovels to fight. At one point JD used an umbrella as a weapon. I think it is brilliant, the amount of detail the director ensured to make the movie true to life.  I look at the violence in an artistic way, I liked the fight scenes, the fight scenes at funeral in the mud and rain was visually beautiful as it was violent. The rain falling, the mud. Then at the bath house, as JD let his men also in the rain and place to the Filipino song “Anak” (Child), the blood and JD jumping into the water while the other guy held the victim in a vice grip is very evocative, chilling and yet entrancing. All the while the two future-in-laws meeting up for dinner with JD not showing up. When his sister waits up for him. The third fight scene among the grain and sand where JD was caged. I think it was all very well-choreographed, I look at the violence in an artistic way for a gangster noir drama and I give it an A+ for the imagery. You might enjoy the movie more if you watch it that way than just seeing the violence and being turned off by it. LMH looked very lithe in some of the fight scenes, kicking and striking, reminded me of him in City Hunter. You also see LMH in a very different role, he aced it as a gangster. It was like watching the Godfather. In that way, I appreciate it more.  LMH also looked very handsome. I believe director Yoo Ha wanted him to look and dress like French actor Alain Delon (famous many years ago and no longer young). I heard him talk about how he thought LMH resembled Alain Delon a lot. Yoo Ha may have been a fan of French film noir.

I just love the way LMH portrayed JD, no histrionics, no overacting, quiet pain, longing, painful regret, restrained crying. 

At the beginning you see a very somber Jong Dae, with sadness and longing in his eyes for something better. Also, in ways angry and bitter. He is a ragman, orphan and the lowest class in SK where even gangsters would not hire them. No ID and no chance of a better life. Yet, Jong Dae understands kindness, love and loyalty. He was extremely grateful to the gang leader Gil-Soo for taking him under his wing, and treating him as a real human being. Firecely loyal, he is quick to protect and fight when he or those he cares for are attacked. When he was hit at the election headquarters, he fought back with fury, when the laundromat was attacked, he also fought back. Then when the gang leader gave him an extra egg and the daughter gave him warm blankets, he was overcome with gratitude. He liked the daughter from the moment he saw her but it was a silent admiration and love. As the years go by, you see Jong Dae quietly lead  what is left of Gil Soo old gang as Gil Soo retired as a gang leader. JD took over hoping to regain past glory and return Gil Soo to his rightful place instead of being a laundry owner and earning pittance. JD did not understand that Gil Soo wants out, does not want to place his daughter in jeopardy. JD in the meantime also got a taste of real estate wheeling and dealing and sees an opportunity of making it big as a real estate investor. JD is smart and he is a born leader, he has the intelligence to plan winning strategies to handle issues and problems and he can be ruthless and dangerous to his enemies. However, like the councilman Suh says, he does not have a face of a traitor. 

Yong-Ki, the “brother” of JD is an opportunist. He wants money and does not care who he back-stabs. He did not even look for JD when they were separated while JD worried about him so you see the dynamics between the two of them.

I also like the bond between JD and Gil-Soo, a sort of boss and subordinate, father and son. The care and love they have for each other, the relieve Gil-Soo felt when JD was okay after being kidnapped.

He is fiercely loyal to the ex-gang leader.  LMH’s expressions were spot on, reserved, quiet exterior, but would be scary as and angry if disturbed or attacked. He is not a born gangster like his friend cum adopted brother but he can be ruthless.

I want to point out parts where I thought LMH’s acting was just awesome, when he found Yong-Gi, you see his all his emotions in his eyes, the surprise, the joy, the realization… His utter ruthlessness in killing the gang boss in the bath house and at the cemetery and in the mud, the murderous expression in his eyes. I think of Al Pacino at times, quiet but dangerous. Then you see the quiet longing for his “sister” from a distance, the tenderness and brotherly comfort he gives her. The fury he exhibits to brother-in-law when he saw what he did to Seon-Hye. The quiet pain when he realized he was the cause of his boss’s death and when he saw the birth registry and the tears spilled. Just so haunting. The pain and and betrayal he felt when he found out that his brother killed his boss, and that his brother was willing to kill him to protect his gains. Still he could not kill Yong-Ki at the end and let him disappear. Jong Dae wanted to disappear to with his sister but fate was not to be. Last but not least, LMH’s haunted and desperate look when he tries to crawl out of the tunnel and his expression was as he was dying was poignant. I think this is one of his best works.

I still feel upset that he did not win the best new actor award for the 51st Baeksang Awards. I think he deserved it. It is hard not to overact, just to have the right reactions for the role. He did that to the T

I want to share the below from Wikipedia

China

The film was released with a different cut for the Chinese market in March 2015, in order to capitalize on Lee Min-ho's big fan base in the region. The new cut included more scenes of Lee, including those further developing the relationship between Lee's character and his love interest (played by Kim Seolhyun), as well as an alternate ending.[45][46][47]

I would have loved to see that version. It was really bad luck that that was when China cracked down on Hallyu and banned the movie even though the director changed it for the China market. Wish I could buy it on DVD. Probably never released. They were hoping to strike it big but that was really a piece of bad luck and China market never got to see it. I think it would have done very well in China especially with a happy ending and more love interest.

Review from Modern Korean Cinema

Pierce Conran called the film "an evocative and immensely entertaining saga that pits a common tale of brotherhood and betrayal against a thrilling period setting mired in violence and corruption" and praised it as "one of the most beautifully designed and lushly filmed Korean productions ever made." He found Lee Min-ho "thoroughly convincing as a rising gangster with a cool exterior and emotional core," but that Kim Rae-won's performance had "a little less depth," yet nevertheless was Kim's best performance since 2006's Sunflower, in which he also played a gangster.[48]

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I have just watched GB for the second time and am glad I did. Being English and constantly having to look at the sub titles sometimes made me confused about who was who amongst Park , Jang, Shu etc the first time and it was much clearer on second viewing. I loved LMH in this role - it took me a while after the film ended to be able to write this. His dying scene in the tunnel with the one tear running down his face and knowing his sister was waiting for him was heartbreaking. I looked  at some of the reviews- one said “he’s certainly one to look out for given how he’s embraced this challenging role” and another said “made his presence felt in every scene he appears in” It’s a very dark film, incredibly well directed and the fight scenes especially the muddy field one are so cleverly filmed. LMH deserved the awards he got and I think should have got more.

I’m going to watch Bounty Hunters now for some light relief!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Spoiler

This is the 2nd time that I have fully watched GB.  I don't think that rewatching it changed my opinion of the movie or LMH's performance.  I hate to say, but I still didn't really enjoy the movie due to the subject matter.  If LMH was not in this movie, I would not have watched it.  I, however, do agree with CallieP that it is one of the best if not the best performance by Minho ( I have to think about this a bit more).  As with the first time I watched it, I really struggled keeping track of the characters.  I do think that it is a pity that, IMO, Minho is not going to remember this role favorably since the movie didn't do that well at the box office.  I do hope that numbers at the box office don't deter him from choosing quality dramas and movies.  It was a brave choice given that most remember Minho last as the sweet innocent boy in Heirs.   The sex and violence didn't affect my opinion of the movie overall, but seeing it in a Kmovie was a bit surprising.  I do think that this director brought out the best minho, just like the director of CH and LBS.  i hope the director in The King can do the same.  I also agree, Callie, that the fight scene were well choreographed and made use of LMH's long legs which always look great in fight scenes. 

Now, my favorite LMH scenes, mostly due to his expressive eyes.  Early on you see Jong Dae looking longingly at the family having dinner in the shantytown  (I missed this watching it the first time because the women the theater were still "ooing" and "ahhing" everytime LMH was on screen haha).  My take on Jong Dae is that he really wasn't bad.  He wanted to have a family and earn a living.  He didn't have to be rich unlike his hyung, Yong Gi.  JD was intelligent, listening intently whenever the assemblymen discussed which lands were valuable and why.  I also liked the scene when JD discovered that his hyung killed Boss Kang.  But, for me, the very best scene was when JD discover boss Kang added him to the family register.  LMH is really good at these heavy emotional scenes.  I always end up tearing up watching him.  Lindyloo, i also liked the final scene with JD in the tunnel.  And how sad both JD and Yong Gi seem to die around the same time.  boy, I'm glad that wasn't the last time we saw Minho before MS; that would have really killed me.  

So here's my question.  The politician who JD was in cahoots with towards the end double crossed him and had JD killed?  I know the politicians used the gangs to get what they want, then threw them away.

I think that I saw two of the movies up against GB at the awards shows.  While I have nothing against the other actors, I do think Minho should have taken home more awards.  His performance was praised by a writer for the Hollywood Reporter.  I wish I could find that article again.

Thank you @CallieP and @Lindyloo421 for your comments about GB!  I think I may know Callie's choice on favorite LMH role!;)

Next week, a much lighter movie--bounty Hunters!

• Like 6

On 6/15/2019 at 11:17 AM, CarolynH said:

Separately, @gtLmh0622, do you know if the Hallyu ban in China imposed before LBS is still in effect ?  I haven't heard anything, so I'm curious.   

It seems no detente. Just few day ago, Duam and Naver were banned as FB, Twitter, IG, and etc. :crazy:

Definitely there are ways to overcome the ban of websites like VPN, freegate, and etc. and there are lots of stream sites to watch K-Drama or K-Movie, but unfortunately, no officially broadcasting on TV channels or largest stream sites like Iqiyi, Youku, and Tencent.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I ordered a dvd of GB but since I live in Mexico, it usually takes awhile to be delivered (if ever). But guess what arrived just today?!  Woo-hoo! Just in time for our group watch, and finally I could see it on a bigger screen than my iPad!

It’s his best acting in a difficult and REALLY different role, where’s he’s both a loyal good and very bad guy. I liked your comment about focusing on the art and acting, @CallieP, and it’s a well-made film with beautiful cinematography and much attention to detail, especially noticeable in Blu-ray. Not to mention our gorgeous anti-hero. No matter that they downplayed his looks; it’s just impossible to hide that face! 

It was hard for me to see much of the art in it the first or second time through because I was so blown away by the extreme violence. But this time was different. And I just loved his performance, well worth the awards he received. I read one review awhile ago that said all he did was look mildly annoyed. REALLY???!!! I guess the haters aren’t limited to wacko fans. Anyway, I admire him him very much; he has guts and great talent to have taken this on when could have just lounged around on his rom-com and action-hero laurels!

• Like 8

kBVOo1n.gif

Spoiler

This is my second time watching Gangnam Blues. The first was after LOTBS aired. I was a new LMH fan then and I had no background on this movie whatsoever. I watch a wide range of movie genres, so I didn't have much trouble appreciating this type of film.

But I did have some trouble understanding the detailed plot with all those characters. So after watching it the first time, I thought I should watch it again so I could appreciate it more. In this rewatch, I took @CarolynH's lead and I took down notes and listed all the names of the characters. Hah. :P So now I have a deeper understanding and appreciation of the plot and its poetry.

At first it seemed like any other gangster movie I've seen previously, but this one hit me at a much deeper level. The minute I heard the Filipino song "Anak (Child)" play in the background, I was floored. This song was a hit in the '70s, and has been released in various countries in different languages. I knew right then that this is not just a gangster movie, but a story about a son who felt deep remorse for his actions that were done against his father's will. Let me share a part of the lyrics of the song:

"And now your path has gone astray
Child you ain't sure what to do or say
You're so alone
No friends are on your side

And child you now break down in tears
Let them [parents] drive away your fears
Where must you go
Their arms stay open wide

Child you don't know
You'll never know how far they'd go
To give you all their love can give
To see you through and God it's true
They'd die for you, if they must, to see you live"

I understand that violent films may not be everybody's cup of tea, but putting this film in the context of this song gave much more sense and meaning. Here is a son who was driven by poverty to persevere in life, albeit by wrong methods. And yet his father, who still unconditionally loves him, takes the fall for him. And the poetry and irony lies in the revelation of this love to Jong Dae, when he finally sees the registry of him as Kang Gil Soo's son, that he has been a son to him all this time. But will he ever have the chance of calling him "father," when his drive of putting him back to his old glory, to give a more comfortable life to his adoptive family, is the very reason that lead to his father's death.

Everything may have started with his brother Baek Yong Gi, but the differences in their beliefs and aspirations eventually lead to the tragic loss of Gil Soo, and finally to their own demise. @CarolynH, I read in IMDb that Assemblyman Seo had Jong Dae and Yong Gi killed by his two new henchmen. 

I am no film major, but like  @CallieP, I also appreciated the artistry and imagery of this film. At first watch, I see their fight scenes as mere bodies flying around. Heck, in the mud fight scene, I lost track of Jong Dae as they were all covered in mud. But after playing close attention in this rewatch, I came to appreciate the choreography and the rawness the scenes. 

I admire LMH for taking on such a challenging role and going against the grain. This gave him the opportunity to showcase his acting prowess, beyond the usual boy-next-door/chaebol roles. Just as a singer need not always sing the high notes to prove his/her worth, LMH didn't have to overact - what matters is how he captivates the audience and how he draws them into the emotions and complexities of his character. His expressive eyes and subtle facial movements are enough to convey the depth of emotion of Jong Dae. @CallieP, I totally agree with your points on how his acting was awesome in this film.

Now on to my favorite LMH scenes. I like this scene with Jong Dae watching a family eat together. His eyes reveal his longing for his own family.

kFrK6H8.gif

And he does already have his eyes on Sun Hye at their very first meeting. But he settled for mere admiration and loving her from afar.  

NW73LMe.gif

XvcXX2d.gif

bwuXU49.gif

yPaqeKE.gif

He has his utmost gratitude for Gil Soo's family. I admire his loyalty and respect for Gil Soo and his drive to put him back to his stature in the gangster world, despite the latter's refusal.

HTMoT8A.gif

zlXgmY7.gif

EG0jYL5.gif

I seem to have forgotten that he has this Clark Kent-ish look in one of the scenes. He is oozing with good looks.

1ee7gnp.gif

Jong Dae can be kind as he can also be ruthless. Especially when it comes to protecting his family. Who wouldn't feel threatened by that stern gaze?

ptVxSYx.gif

Jong Dae must have felt conflicting emotions and betrayal when he learned that Yong Gi, whom he treats as his own brother, killed Gil Soo. I see the hurt in his eyes.

ocUD5WA.gif

pQ9cGUe.gif

oLEkwyY.gif

CiCyo8H.gif

And my ultimate favorite scene, when he learns about the registry telling he is Gil Soo's son. For me, this may be one of the peaks if not the peak of all Jong Dae's emotions in this film. 

jo3XmDc.gif

And of course, the tunnel scene. It felt excruciating to watch him crawl out of that tunnel. Yes, @Lindyloo421 that tear in his eye just nails it. Again, the imagery and poetry of him crawling out of the darkness of his life, into the elusive light is spot on.  

Spoiler

2K2zMUj.gif

@CarolynH, thanks for posting the gif on page 1. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A Taiwan news reported that in Mainland China, Germany, Mexico, and Korean beer are top 3 imported beer to share 66% of imported beer market. And 3rd place Korean beer reached 76.5% growth last year.  If search "Korean beer" on Baidu, lots of "Lee Min Ho cool CF of Korean beer" popped out.

But.....Anchor Beer is not a Korean beer.  :tounge_xd:

ps. Baidu is the largest search engine in China.

D9OxyDnUcAENFra.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments @CallieP @Lindyloo421 @CarolynH @msdot @syntyche !  You made some very good points.

tumblr_pt816hC4dH1w2zf0ho1_540.png

11 hours ago, syntyche said:

I understand that violent films may not be everybody's cup of tea, but putting this film in the context of this song gave much more sense and meaning. Here is a son who was driven by poverty to persevere in life, albeit by wrong methods. And yet his father, who still unconditionally loves him, takes the fall for him. And the poetry and irony lies in the revelation of this love to Jong Dae, when he finally sees the registry of him as Kang Gil Soo's son, that he has been a son to him all this time. But will he ever have the chance of calling him "father," when his drive of putting him back to his old glory, to give a more comfortable life to his adoptive family, is the very reason that lead to his father's death.

This is so well said!  Thanks for sharing the song lyrics; they really show us the theme of this movie. 

This is the scene that had the most impact on me:

tumblr_pt816hC4dH1w2zf0ho2_540.png

tumblr_pt816hC4dH1w2zf0ho3_540.png

tumblr_pt816hC4dH1w2zf0ho4_540.png

"When will we live like humans?"

I like historical films a lot, and don't have a problem with the gangster topic, and I really like the theme here, but violence and nudity is not my cup of tea.  In my opinion, the same topics and themes can be covered just as effectively in a less graphic way.  I thought it was a good choice and an excellent performance by LMH.

FYI, here is the link to the GB thread (which has been archived): https://forums.soompi.com/topic/339199-movie-2015-gangnam1970-강남-1970new-trailer-p17/page/26/

• Like 5