Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

2 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

Because some actors loves media play , arrticles are wrong because they just estimate LMH's ,MYM said they never shares LMH how many paid , because LMH is humble , If some have popularity like LMH popularty they make media play everyday but LMH and MYM don't care this 

Yes, I have also have doubts on the accuracy of those articles which stated the top 10 highest paid Korean actors. 

If the parameter is drama rating or movie box office, not all the projects by top 2 highest paid actors were successful, few of their projects even failed quite miserably in terms of rating or box office. 

If the parameter is popularity, we can see from Google trend data and social media following/monitoring data, those top 2 actors were also not the leaders on this front.

If the parameter is number of awards won, well, some say that politics and stakeholders interests also play role in determining the winners, not always about craft.

Well, I am just babbling here based on things that I read. Haha don't mind me. 

@nina_mitrokhina 5misnina Welcome to the thread, thanks for liking our posts! Have fun!

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47e4d2b94309f674b3d29

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

2 hours ago, JoannaID said:

Actually I've been wondering and curious about the parameters used to define A-lister actors in Korea entertainment industry. I am a new observer and consumer so I've been just reading some of old posts and comments in this forum and some other sites. 

Just for discussion, not for war or comparison, there is this actor, who shall not be named here, but you know who, the one who is always compared to LMH and various articles mentioned that he is the highest paid one in Korea. This actor has more movie projects under his belt and even the last movie project was kinda a failure one, but it seems that failure didn't bring him out of the A-list.

Another actor who shall not be named as well, but you know who, who is several years more senior than LMH and on various articles was always mentioned as the second highest paid in Korea, also has more projects (movies + dramas) throughout his career and some of them were considered unsuccessful, yet he is still on the A-list and his latest drama (2019) was a big hit.

But then again, some also doubt the validity of the articles which claimed K-actors compensation rankings because some actors were doing media play to bring up their images/popularities.

@JoannaID, the film industry terms of A-list, B-List, and so on originates from the process of casting selection, more specifically to films. Basically, the A-List are the most in demand actors. They are the heavy hitters that have a proven box office track record and/or proven acting chops above most others. This list changes often, due to whatever the current trends may be. An actor's personal life and public relations (or lack thereof), both positive and negative, can drastically affect their stance. When a studio/production can't land X amount of A-List stars in their casting, they go down to their B-List, which can be best described as "the second choice" (After going down the A-List of course). B-Listers can very well become A-Listers, given the right casting and the right vehicles. C-Listers are usually most known for their supporting roles. Chances are they are those promising stars. Basically, studios/production need a name to not only open a film, but to get the financing for it and get it green lit. They depend on the A-Listers to do just that. To make it simpler : A-list celebrity is a professional at the very top of their career. It may be a bankable movie star who has a very strong track record of box office successes, or a pop star with a string of #1 hit singles and albums. Even socialites with popular press coverage and elite associations have been termed as "A-list" celebrities. The phrase has been tossed around so much it's lost some of its meaning. It basically revolves around how much profit an actor's role in a movie can bring in for a studio/production. Parameters? It's an

actor's starpower as a measurement of  : :blush:

• Bankability: How the actor's name alone guarantees a hit project
  • Career management: How well has the actor chosen his roles
  • Willingness to travel and promote: How cooperative is the actor in promoting projects?
  • Professionalism: How reliable is the actor to work with, both on and off the set?
  • Box office bait: Who the actor has worked for and how much the project made.
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, JoannaID said:

Yes, I have also have doubts on the accuracy of those articles which stated the top 10 highest paid Korean actors. 

I don't care these articles because I saw so many times for years, and we know articles don't reflect true everytime, they changes , they wrote so superficial , for example this morning there are so many article about Ju Ji Hoon paid most in sector for next drama Jiri Mountain on Naver  and I saw so many people are surprised and asked why he is paid most , JJH is more popular etc. and then article is removed 

75dy7m.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

It's hard to convey in words how grateful and grateful I am to Lee Min Ho! A year ago, I was in severe depression after the death of a loved one. By chance I saw the drama "Heirs" on the Internet and I was fascinated by this story, struck by Lee Min Ho's dramatic performance, his bright talent and charisma. After this drama, I tried to find out as much as possible about this actor, reviewed all the dramas and films with Lee Mi Ho's participation. They gave me back my interest and joy in life. And what a long-awaited and beloved gift for the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch"! I never cease to admire Lee Min Ho - an unusually talented and bright personality, a wonderful actor, an amazingly kind and sensitive person.
I can't imagine now how my life would have turned out, without this happy occasion and I am grateful to God for it!
p.s. Please forgive my bad English - I translate with a machine translator.

• Like 6
  • Love 9
  • Awesome 1

Is there any particularly difference between the quality of SBS dramas and cable ones like tvN? And is the Netflix distribution related to the overuse of PPL?  I just finished watching CLOY and, although a very good show, it had too much Subway and fried chicken ads (similar problem with TKEM)

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

25 minutes ago, pocmagica said:

Is there any particularly difference between the quality of SBS dramas and cable ones like tvN? And is the Netflix distribution related to the overuse of PPL?  I just finished watching CLOY and, although a very good show, it had too much Subway and fried chicken ads (similar problem with TKEM)

Isn't quality difference just there are promotion difference , SBS banned videos to abroad ( I hate most this) and they don't know good promotion but TVN is rich they make so many promotion and they make write  so many articles in Korea but I still think SBS's video quality is better than TVN if you watched Legend Of The Blue Sea you can understand easly 

(And TVN knows well media play for example TVN dramas' highest ratings are written on articles title always , not avarage rating but we saw they wrote The King lowest ratings on title of article always actually they use highest rating for SBS's other dramas , Kmedia worked hard to hit to King ) This is my Naver investigation , nobody said it jut I have seen for years .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

It's hard to convey in words how grateful and grateful I am to Lee Min Ho! 
I can't imagine now how my life would have turned out, without this happy occasion and I am grateful to God for it!

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us @nina_mitrokhina 5misnina  and sorry to cut your post.

You are not alone, Nina
Lary.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

1 hour ago, pocmagica said:

@pocmagica,  in recent years, not only tvN but the (3) cable channels have emerged as viable alternatives to the three major networks. 2012 was the start as an amazing year for tvN. Most of their series were huge hits! Over the years since then, I think cable channels like tvN, OCN, and jTBC have proven that they can produce shows that aren’t just edgy but also have quality storylines. They gamble on dramas that don’t always carry the K-drama staples. Because cable is more of a private establishment, they are not half as prone to censorship as the public broadcast systems like the Big 3. There is also a different quality to their dramas, which gives us a more interesting format. Cable TV is simply bolder. The three major networks have been around longer and have a far greater audience base. That is why when we look at ratings, we become happy if a cable drama receives 4% because that’s a big success, but if a Big 3 drama earns the same number, then we know it’s in danger of erratic changes or worse, being cut. The big networks also seem to bank heavily on their dramas’ star power and not necessarily on the story.  What the broadcast stations are confident in is how much they can sell a drama based on who is in it. Therefore, even though there is negative feedback because an actor is on the show or the poor ratings is blamed on the actor's performance, the broadcast station is fully aware of the revenue these actors can bring in. When we put things into perspective, the international fan base is not something to brush off. Even a drama with Kim Soo Hyun & Lee Min Ho who is not favored domestically, can pull in international viewers simply because of their name recognition. Cable networks, in comparison, have signed on a range of actors—from well-known to relatively unknown—that act well to star in their dramas. Cable TV presents the story in such an interesting way that the drama itself stands out as great. MBC, SBS, and KBS have the money to pay big stars and go all out with the production scale, and I agree that popular actors draw a global audience. The international fan base has that much power. Cable TV, on the other hand, especially tvN takes risks to make their story compelling even if that involves hiring a newbie actor. The solid storylines, the competent acting, and the quality production value have made many cable dramas memorable. What I initially noticed about cable was that they gave breaks to unknown or moderately popular artists. Actors who would typically play supporting roles in Big 3 projects are given a chance by cable channels to helm their dramas. There was a time when network shows could see 40% of viewership ratings whereas now, the number one show will probably get an average of 15% or even less. On the other hand, there have been a few dramas that have had depressing local ratings but are a sensation in other countries. For me, the success of many cable dramas has come from knowing what the audience wants. Cable channels produce series that are familiar. I also think slice of life stories have become a specialty of some cable channels. I think they do it better than the Big 3. Cable TV seems to be gaining the reputation of having higher quality programs, whereas public broadcast TV stations seem to recycle their storylines. Viewers can still depend on MBC, SBS, and KBS to court their favorite stars to be in a drama even if it holds up the same formulas; so, it’s not like the public will turn its back on those stations. :blush:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, willenette said:

Cable TV, on the other hand, especially tvN takes risks to make their story compelling even if that involves hiring a newbie actor. 

But this changed now TVN catch up most popular actor and actrees and  I think 4% rating for TVN isn't success any more, this era is passed for TVN because this channel's reputation rose so much in last years, if it was 6-7 year ago, yes we could say 4% is success but now  we can't. (I remember a drama surpassed 2% and there are so many article ) But now nobody remember a drama that got 4% rating after ended on TVN . Everyone say isn't successful if a drama receive 3-4% rating now. Because TVN some drama rating surpassed 20% rating and almost every TVN drama gets at least 3-4% rating 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

These Are The Nicknames Your Favorite Korean Stars Got From Their Dramas

Lee Min Ho, Chemi Shin (Chemistry God)

Gj0_AgcRitnQzTEaQHxAG8ujqrQIJLftCokRjPBMsiBzZMpqyWyAm4MRnYmBvUHFvTElMvT-A1fevw5wI3IPbFXkjnqnk3NceBdCsY8hkDwITahPi2vv5yrr85mDikPAvDIGWxEJ?w=650

The nickname "Chemi-Shin" is short for "Chemistry God".

Lee Min Ho is one of the hottest Korean actors who has worked with many actresses, older and younger than him, yet they all end up with good chemistry with him and the drama is always unforgettable.  He's been paired to Jun Ji Hyun in "Legend of the Blue Sea", and as expected, their chemistry was amazing!

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/118948/20200918/nicknames-favorite-korean-stars-got-dramas.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 7
  • Awesome 3

11 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

It's hard to convey in words how grateful and grateful I am to Lee Min Ho! A year ago, I was in severe depression after the death of a loved one. By chance I saw the drama "Heirs" on the Internet and I was fascinated by this story, struck by Lee Min Ho's dramatic performance, his bright talent and charisma. After this drama, I tried to find out as much as possible about this actor, reviewed all the dramas and films with Lee Mi Ho's participation. They gave me back my interest and joy in life. And what a long-awaited and beloved gift for the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch"! I never cease to admire Lee Min Ho - an unusually talented and bright personality, a wonderful actor, an amazingly kind and sensitive person.

Thank you very much for sharing your sweet story @nina_mitrokhina 5misnina:kiss_wink:  I know LMH would be happy that he helped you during tough times.  Don't worry about your English.  I'm a native English speaker and still make mistakes.  The English language has a lot of rules.  

Continuing with my rewatch of BOF, I'm convinced that GJP, given time, would be happy and maybe even fall in love with Jae Kyung.  GJP is just so cute when he clutches the pink stuffed cat while he sleeps.  I can't say this enough, but it still is unbelievable the LMH I see today was GJP years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 3

16 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

Thanks for sharing your story, LMH will be happy to read this  @nina_mitrokhina 5misnina :)

13 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

But this changed now TVN catch up most popular actor and actrees and  I think 4% rating for TVN isn't success any more, this era is passed for TVN because this channel's reputation rose so much in last years, if it was 6-7 year ago, yes we could say 4% is success but now  we can't. (I remember a drama surpassed 2% and there are so many article ) But now nobody remember a drama that got 4% rating after ended on TVN . Everyone say isn't successful if a drama receive 3-4% rating now. Because TVN some drama rating surpassed 20% rating and almost every TVN drama gets at least 3-4% rating 

I know which drama that you talked about here, which got average 4% ratings but nobody came after it/bashing it, unlike TKEM who was severely attacked due to it's tv ratings. Haha. :lol:

I think media articles are now indeed bias, we cannot take it as it is anymore, as there were many interests behind those articles. I work in marketing and I know that media in my country can be paid to write from certain angles. I thought this was only true in my country, but looks like its the same in other places. 

And yes how come 4% rating on TvN was still considered successful, when previous TvN hit drama  (which I believe was indeed a true big hit), managed to reach double digit rating on average and even reached >20% at its peak. It doesn't make sense, lol.

We are now living in digital era, I think the most unbiased source of truth to track drama success would be from tracking Google data, social media analytics data and streaming platform data. 

Happy weekend to all Minoz here, hope our Oppa will update his social media or give us new news! 

:please:

• Like 4
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

Искренне благодарю вас за добрые слова и взаимопонимание! Я очень рада, что нашла этот замечательный форум и таких добрых и отзывчивых людей. Ли Мин Хо собирает вокруг себя лучшее! Будем с удовольствием общаться и ждать его новых работ.

• Where's My Oppa? 1

5 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

Искренне благодарю вас за добрые слова и взаимопонимание! Я очень рада, что нашла этот замечательный форум и таких добрых и отзывчивых людей. Ли Мин Хо собирает вокруг себя лучшее! Будем с удовольствием общаться и ждать его новых работ.

Min Morning from my part of the world @nina_mitrokhina 5misnina. Welcome! Thank you for sharing your story with us and hope you are at a good place right now in your life. I agree with that this is such a wonderful thread with kind people and that LMH gathers beautiful people. There was a time last year when I slipped on ice and fell really bad, hurting my back and my immediate thoughts to distract myself from pain until my husband could get me to the hospital was to re-watch The Heirs. Kim Tan did help me LOL. LMH is the balm of happiness and I find myself wearing a smile whenever I watch his BTS or interviews. Glad you could join us. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

8 hours ago, JoannaID said:

Thanks for sharing your story, LMH will be happy to read this  @nina_mitrokhina 5misnina :)

I know which drama that you talked about here, which got average 4% ratings but nobody came after it/bashing it, unlike TKEM who was severely attacked due to it's tv ratings. Haha. :lol:

I think media articles are now indeed bias, we cannot take it as it is anymore, as there were many interests behind those articles. I work in marketing and I know that media in my country can be paid to write from certain angles. I thought this was only true in my country, but looks like its the same in other places. 

And yes how come 4% rating on TvN was still considered successful, when previous TvN hit drama  (which I believe was indeed a true big hit), managed to reach double digit rating on average and even reached >20% at its peak. It doesn't make sense, lol.

We are now living in digital era, I think the most unbiased source of truth to track drama success would be from tracking Google data, social media analytics data and streaming platform data. 

Happy weekend to all Minoz here, hope our Oppa will update his social media or give us new news! 

I didn't talk specific a drama I said generally  but drama that your thought  isn't also accepted big hit in Korea , so many media play doesn't mean big hit .

I think Big3 channels' reputation decrease while cable tv reputation rise, TVN rose in last 6-7 years and JTBC rose in last 3 years but KBS and most MBC drama rating drop so much , KBS's just one drama could surpass %10 in this year MBC's dramas can't surpass even 7% , these channels drama surpassed 30% rating 10 years ago and TVN's dramas got 0% rating 8-9 years ago and everyone became WOW when a drama surpass 3% rating .Currently TVN and viewers wait at least 5% rating for dramas. If a hallyu star act in they wait at least 10% rating.

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1