Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

6 minutes ago, Lindyloo421 said:

Hi  sorry to be asking you another question but I am curious about it being on SBS.

do they  just pay for the broadcasting rights in Korea? If; for example, Japan wanted to broadcast it would they pay SBS or Studio Dragon . I’m assuming SBS will hope  to get a big advertising return due to the magic mix of Kim Eun-Sook and LMH.

I read that Studio Dragon is owned by the people (CJ) who also own tvN so that sounds like SBS must have offered a high price to screen it instead of tvN.

In my post, it's very clear that Studio Dragon rejected the investment from TV stations and will produce The King by their own capability. So, SBS will only have the right of broadcasting and not own the IP (intellectual property). All the profit of broadcast right selling to other countries or platforms will be to the producers.

There was a news about the right of LOTBS sold to Vietnam at a very high price that almost all filming costs had returned just by sold to only one country. Studio Dragon need not to accept any investments from TV stations. (Top actor LMH + top writer KES) is a highly profitable guarantee. I think SBS know that and don't want to loose the chance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gtLmh0622 said:

In my post, it's very clear that Studio Dragon rejected the investment from TV stations and will produce The King by their own capability. So, SBS will only have the right of broadcasting and not own the IP (intellectual property). All the profit of broadcast right selling to other countries or platforms will be to the producers.

There was a news about the right of LOTBS sold to Vietnam at a very high price that almost all filming costs had returned just by sold to only one country. Studio Dragon need not to accept any investments from TV stations. (Top actor LMH + top writer KES) is a highly profitable guarantee. I think SBS know that and don't want to loose the chance.

Thank you-I understand it now.

• Like 2

cr:  as tagged

Spoiler

LBS EP 8

HJJ is so cute trying to protect SC by telling the boys to ring the bell before they enter the house.  Noo, HJJ how can you have a 8PM curfew?:lol:  HJJ is so cute when Nam doo finds his level 7 civil servant book.  LMH is really attractive that scene.  I know I sound like a broken record, but the scene with HJJ's parents looking at the family photo--REACH OUT TO YOUR SON--HELLO?  Sorry, it is one thing that drove me crazy about the drama.  I do enjoy the scenes with SC and Shi Ah verbally cat fighting, so amusing.  One of my favorite comedic scene in LBS is the library--HJJ so cute when he assumes the note passes to him is that he is handsome; SC whispering to HJJ.  i think this is the first time that I enjoyed the Joseon scenes.  So sweet when HJJ worries about SC when he is injured as well.  Finally, HJJ admits that he has a plan to like SC.  The epilogue is so moving; i especially like when KDR tells SC not to erase his memory of her  "..this memory, this remembrance, even if it hurts, ...belongs to me"---ugh I teared up watching the ending:bawling:

I'm not sure if I want to see the King on Netflix or viki.  In a way, I like viki because of the comments, although I do get distracted trying to read the comments and subtitles, simultaneously.  I missed some scene in ep 8 because I was reading the comments.  On the flip side, the comments also give the LMH naysayers a platform for negative comments about him and/or his acting.  

I'm surprised to see LMH in a mask again.  i would think he'd never want to see another mask after wearing them for 2 years.

• Like 4

8 Korean Dramas That Are Perfect For Newbies

Boys Over Flowers (2009)

Based on the Japanese manga series Hana Yori Dango (the same series that the mega-Taiwanese hit Meteor Garden was based on), Boys Over Flowers cemented the flower boy concept (a key ingredient that K-dramas are known for) and catapulted Lee Min Ho into global superstardom. The drama takes you to elite school Shinhwa High where you'll meet Geum Jan Di (Goo Hye Sun), a middle-classed girl who scores a scholarship at the prestigious school, and the F4 (Lee Min Ho, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum, and Kim Joon), a group of popular, wealthy, and handsome boys who also happen to be school bullies. You'll learn everything you need to know about chaebols (the Korean term for rich folk who come from large family-owned business conglomerates) as you enjoy the eye candy (c/o the F4) and fall in love with the drama's take on young love, family ties, and friendship. BOF's amazing OST is also worth noting (it might even convert you into appreciating K-pop as well!).

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/korean-dramas-for-newbies-a2661-20190817-lfrm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LBS Episode 8

I thought this a fabulous episode, it was funny and sad and I thought  the acting between the  two leads was spot on- especially in the scene where JJ and SC are sitting on the bed and she asks if he plans to like her. Her expression where she looks at him with such hope and his unemotional response tugged at my heartstrings. (Although we know that he really does care about her)

I agree with Carolyn about the parents. JJ’s mum comes across as really feisty with her responses to Shi-ah but had acted like a doormat giving up her son apparently without a fight and doesn’t even go to look for him at places that she took him every year (aquarium/fireworks).

The swimming scene made me laugh- especially when JJ says it was a good job it was him and not the other two who walked in on her- and she- to his astonishment- asks “what makes you the lucky option?” And then he goes back to the car complaining of feeling hot!

I wasn’t keen on the merman scenes- he was a bit too negative for me even if he did have cause to be that way.

I too loved the library scene and how fabulous did LMH look in that jacket and those leather trousers!

Carolyn in an earlier post you asked how anyone new to the thread discovered LMH.

I subscribed to Netflix  so I could watch The Crown (about our Royal family) saw they were highlighting a Chinese drama - Meteor Gardens- watched it and was intrigued by the story so looked it up online and read that there was a version called BOF also available on Netflix- watched that and that was it- I became an LMH fan!

• Like 5

@gtLmh0622I am glad that LMH has no religion. Good for him!

Spoiler

I find the beginning of Episode 8 exchange between JJ and SC hilarious, he thinks she is naked and gets flustered and immediately turns around but wants to shut the screens while she yells to stay put and look away, he is upset that she thinks he is pervert and tries to protest and accuses her of being careless in a house full of men. He tends to react belatedly but he does come with a good argument, this is my house, why are you accusing me? Love JJ's reaction. He is is excited at the thought of her being naked thus his hotness in subzero and he wants to protect her from a house full of men, himself included???, however he says she is lucky it is him and starts making sudden rules to everyone. You find that in order to hide his possessiveness and jealousy, he makes rules e.g. no short skirts, no going out after 8 pm, etc. JJ is hilarious that he doesn't realize that he likes SC and is possessive. LMH does that well.

Then he tries to deny he likes her when she asks him outright. She learnt a lot from the merman and get get answers while being sly especially to Shi Ah. She is still very naive and takes everything literally but she is a quick learner. I like how she is so upfront with JJ. When will you like me?  Do you have a plan to like me.

I like the scene where SC sticks to JJ and wants to go to the library, at first he balks but when he realizes she will be alone with

Tae Ho, his possessiveness takes over and he agrees  to let her come with him. He is funny when he claims that the note says that person at the library likes him and SC wants to cat scratch her. :D He smiles when she says she likes whispering to him. Her directness is so appealing. Dam Ryong finds out through his dream that he has 20 days to live. Nooo.. that is terrible!

When JJ seriously hurt but more worried that SC is sick finally admits that he cares for her especially when he hears that she plans to leave. Don't leave me, I have a plan to love you. Aww so sweet.

I wish that LMH did not have to wear so much lipstick makeup, do they have to make them wear lipstick?  I have seen some shows where the men don't do it or it is very light.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Lindyloo421 said:

LBS Episode 8

I thought this a fabulous episode, it was funny and sad and I thought  the acting between the  two leads was spot on- especially in the scene where JJ and SC are sitting on the bed and she asks if he plans to like her. Her expression where she looks at him with such hope and his unemotional response tugged at my heartstrings. (Although we know that he really does care about her)

I agree with Carolyn about the parents. JJ’s mum comes across as really feisty with her responses to Shi-ah but had acted like a doormat giving up her son apparently without a fight and doesn’t even go to look for him at places that she took him every year (aquarium/fireworks).

The swimming scene made me laugh- especially when JJ says it was a good job it was him and not the other two who walked in on her- and she- to his astonishment- asks “what makes you the lucky option?” And then he goes back to the car complaining of feeling hot!

I wasn’t keen on the merman scenes- he was a bit too negative for me even if he did have cause to be that way.

I too loved the library scene and how fabulous did LMH look in that jacket and those leather trousers!

Carolyn in an earlier post you asked how anyone new to the thread discovered LMH.

I subscribed to Netflix  so I could watch The Crown (about our Royal family) saw they were highlighting a Chinese drama - Meteor Gardens- watched it and was intrigued by the story so looked it up online and read that there was a version called BOF also available on Netflix- watched that and that was it- I became an LMH fan!

@Lindyloo421:  You became a fan even after looking at LMH with the croissant curls?  lol.  It didn't bother me, although it looked--different.  Did you watch the rest of his dramas in order?  I watched Faith, then city hunter.  Did you watch Secret Campus?  Even though LMh wasn't the lead or in many of the scenes, it actually was a pretty good drama.  I still haven't seen mackeral run.  Hmm, maybe I should watch it  now since we have time before the King.

I really shouldn't have limited the question of how people stumbled across LMH.  I have no idea how @gtLmh0622 or @1ouise discovered LMH.  so anyone can respond to the question.  When I first joined, I mentioned how I discovered LMH, but I don't think many people do.  

• Like 5

LOTBS, Ep 8

What a lovely, sad, sweet episode this is! It just tugged at my heartstrings all the way through, from the sad conversation on the bed, when he denies his feelings because of his own heartbreak as a child, to the merman's death and his former lover's grief, to Dam Ryeong's learning of his own coming death and saying goodbye to his love, to HJJ's coming clean that he has feelings for SC at the end.  And he just looked beautiful all the way through. Great acting too.  

I enjoy the combination of humor and drama in this series.  I was particularly amused by  the conversation about how to treat a mother-in-law, and the wanna-be-his-girlfriend's declaration of how well she'd treat his mom while she is actually treating her like dirt. 

Change of topic:  I have my own question for anyone that cares to answer. I've been fascinated by the fact that LMH has fans all over the world. So I'm curious about which countries people are living in on this thread. Probably more of us from English-speaking countries since that's the language of this thread. I'm originally from the U.S. but now live happily in Mexico. I was happy to discover that Mexico has such an active Facebook LMH fan group (Minoz Mexico Official). I hear that young people in particular in Mexico are very much into K-drama and K-pop (so no wonder I found that LMH pillow in Puebla!).  Great fans here, who just held a Hallyu festival in Mexico City.

• Like 5

LMH in LOTBS episode 8:

I, too, thought this was a fun episode.  I've watched LOTBS so many times, and this time I'm just enjoying it and not analyzing everything.  I remember when it aired, some people thought it was slow and boring.  I still don't get that.  I think it is fun and funny and clever and intriguing.  It must be my cup of tea.  It's true that there are a few logic gaps to overlook, but I think that's true for almost every k-drama.

I like the repartee. SC's innocence and JJ's denial, plus their cute and funny facial expressions, make for some funny exchanges.

tumblr_pwczgerOaG1w2zf0ho2_540.png

tumblr_pwczgerOaG1w2zf0ho1_540.png

Me too!!  :heart:

I watched BOF on Netflix in September 2015 after reading about it on a friend's blog.  I was hooked.  There were so many fascinating things about that crazy drama, but number one was the charisma of LMH.  I watched all his dramas in order, plus his movies, web series, commercials, fan meetings, and everything else I could search up.  I've watched his earlier dramas as well.  I think it would be fun to watch Mackerel Run together (or any others).  

I noticed that the number of followers on this forum went up by about 10 in the last few months, and now it has dropped down below 400.  I think that Soompi is deleting all the inactive users.  The language of Soompi is English, but I don't think the majority of followers are native English speakers.  (I could be wrong.)  I think there are many lurkers, who don't comment because they are uncomfortable with English.  I am in the US.  :)  I don't know any other k-drama fans near me.

• Like 6

@MsDot2:  I think I've mentioned that I live in So Cal.  I've only shared my love of kdramas and LMH with a few people.  Not even my close friends know about LMH (or that I watch kdramas).  I really wanted to know what someone, a female, who is not a fan of Asian men (not that they dislike them, just not into them),  thought of LMH.  I finally showed a coworker friend the SBS 2016 drama awards video.  She agreed that LMH is good looking.  I think he is a little too lean for her taste.  I found that another coworker's family (Filipino, but from Guam) is into kdramas and kpop.  I told him that I'm coming over to watch kdramas with his family lol.  NOt sure if they like LMH (or know who he is).  One day, I'll ask.  

@1ouise:  I also noticed that the number of followers is dropping.  Hmm, so soompi may be deleting people who are no longer active?  I know a lot who use to comment no longer comment, but I expect (hope!) that they will return when LMH is more active or his drama begins.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I really shouldn't have limited the question of how people stumbled across LMH.  I have no idea how @gtLmh0622 or @1ouise discovered LMH.  so anyone can respond to the question.  When I first joined, I mentioned how I discovered LMH, but I don't think many people do.  

Haha, @CarolynH, you must forgot my post when we rewatched City Hunter, I remembered that I post how I became LMH's fan at that time.

I've watched K-dramas for almost 15 years, but I think you all know that earlier K-dramas ware not so good, so I watched more HK TVB dramas. I like the stories about detectives/doctors/lawyers, most of K-dramas seemed boring at that time, I only watched few actors' dramas if they were leading actors.

At the beginning of 2014, my friend recommended me to watch "Heirs", it's the first time I watched LMH's drama and knew who is LMH. I only felt he's so cute after watching "Heirs" and then my friend told me to watch "City Hunter". When I began to watch "City Hunter", I was surprised that "this is the same actor in Heirs ???" I've watched countless HK/Korean/Japanese dramas, but I've never found any actor could be so different in different dramas. Yah ! I love action movies or dramas, so I like the action scenes in City Hunter, especially ep 3, LMH is too handsome in those action scenes that I went to search him immediately. After watched his interviews in China, I became his fan. I always said that I became LMH's fan because of his acting and interviews instead of his good looking. But indeed he's more and more handsome and attractive besides his beautiful heart and outstanding personality.

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

@1ouise:  I also noticed that the number of followers is dropping.  Hmm, so soompi may be deleting people who are no longer active?  I know a lot who use to comment no longer comment, but I expect (hope!) that they will return when LMH is more active or his drama begins. 

I've checked followers before, LMH was the only one had over 400 followers and now he still has the most followers after Soompi deleting inactive members.

• Like 6

ivYORMN.gif

Spoiler

Thanks for all your comments!

Interesting repartee. Sim Cheong got all panicked she'll be found out by Joon Jae. Well, he is clueless about what she's hiding - he gets flustered instead seeing her bare skin. I like that he intended to shut the doors to give her privacy; I like it better that he suddenly made a house announcement to his buddies to ring the doorbell before entering the house. From growing care, to now being protective of her.

W1i4TGF.gif

02pFNt8.gif

In the scene when Nam Doo tells Joon Jae of noticing him caring a lot about Sim Cheong lately, it's only now that I noticed that Joon Jae exhibited all of the signs of lying that merman taught Sim Cheong - can't meet eyes, stuttering, touching ear or lips. Hah! It's too cute to watch our boy in denial.

4TmAOIj.gif

So he sees the vase with the mermaid painting by Dam Ryeong, then has a sudden memory flashback of a mermaid kissing him. He then gets himself hypnotized and sees Se Hwa in his dream. This seems to be his first time seeing Se Hwa's face, who looks a lot like Sim Cheong.

6D5TClo.gif

Funny scene when Nam Doo finds his book on civil servants. It's too amusing to watch our in-denial boy cook up this elaborate story, when nobody seems to buy it. 

RZpN7BA.gif

Isn't it cute when he hides his smile when Sim Cheong decides not to go out that night.  

JDLV4hY.gif

So she asks her point-blank if he has plans of liking her, and he answers point-blank too, but in the negative.

F2E5AmO.gif

Library scene. Again him hiding his smile. If that's not a sign of him liking her, I don't know what is. 

Gnh77Hq.gif

YPLA9uo.gif

He may be in-denial, or unaware, of his feelings for her, but whenever she is in danger - got hit by Chi Hyun's car previously, and now feeling ill - he is quick to be by her side, and worries a lot about her. So when he finally tells her not to leave because he has plans of liking her, he may be on his way towards the realization of his true feelings.

Z8T7gxQ.gif

I'm not sure if it is only in this episode that Joon Jae saw Se Hwa's face totally resembling that of Sim Cheong's, but if that's the case, then he must have thought there's more to Sim Cheong; and if Dam Ryeong loves Se Hwa, could he also love Sim Cheong?

3q9mX4q.gif

Love the epilogue. It's decisive of Dam Ryeong to keep his memories, even if that would mean longing for Se Hwa all the time. That's great then, if humans have a say on whether mermaids should erase their memory or not. I remember in a previous episode the words of the lady in the hospital with a sign about her daughter's death: "Between not being able to love and remembering my daughter, I would rather love and remember her. Even if it hurts."  

sM5aA7M.gif

I think I've already mentioned in episode 1 of our LBS rewatch how I became a LMH fan - I was a recruit of Dam Ryeong!  But I've known about LMH since BOF days back in 2009. I was just silly not to watch it then thinking that I've already seen Meteor Garden anyway. And so while he was in MS and you had the rewatch here starting with BOF, I can't help but 'unlurk' and join in the conversation since I wanted to share my thoughts on BOF in relation to MG. I was the newbie then, sharing my thoughts during the rewatch of LMH's dramas as the first-time viewer. Time flies fast! So now, I've seen all of his dramas and movies, except for those pre-BOF. I'm good with including these in our rewatch.

So it's only now that I've clicked 'follow' on this thread. Haha. :lol: Sorry chingus, I didn't know. 

So it turns out that this thread is the second most viewed thread among actors and actresses' threads, at 11 million+! And also the second one with the most number of replies!

• Like 5

On 8/17/2019 at 4:56 PM, CarolynH said:

I still haven't seen mackeral run.  Hmm, maybe I should watch it  now since we have time before the King.

You should watch Mackerel run, it is fun though some parts are overblown. I did enjoy it. It is only 8 episodes. If everyone wants to watch it after LOTBS, I am game. I think it is on YouTube. Forgot where I saw it. Sam is another one where he acted with PMY but a small role.

Shi Ah in Episode 8 wants to be nice to JJ's mom if she finds her,  not realizing she is next to her and she is very rude to her :D. I thought that scene was hilarious.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, syntyche said:

So it's only now that I've clicked 'follow' on this thread. Haha. :lol: Sorry chingus, I didn't know. 

So it turns out that this thread is the second most viewed thread among actors and actresses' threads, at 11 million+! And also the second one with the most number of replies!

So which is the most viewed thread? I am curious.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, Lindyloo421 said:

Hi  sorry to be asking you another question but I am curious about it being on SBS.

do they  just pay for the broadcasting rights in Korea? If; for example, Japan wanted to broadcast it would they pay SBS or Studio Dragon . I’m assuming SBS will hope  to get a big advertising return due to the magic mix of Kim Eun-Sook and LMH.

I read that Studio Dragon is owned by the people (CJ) who also own tvN so that sounds like SBS must have offered a high price to screen it instead of tvN.

Hi Lindyloo, while reading some pages here, I guess gtLmh has already answered you about this. I do agree with her. :P

On 8/18/2019 at 12:38 AM, CallieP said:

@gtLmh0622I am glad that LMH has no religion. Good for him!

Reveal hidden contents

I find the beginning of Episode 8 exchange between JJ and SC hilarious, he thinks she is naked and gets flustered and immediately turns around but wants to shut the screens while she yells to stay put and look away, he is upset that she thinks he is pervert and tries to protest and accuses her of being careless in a house full of men. He tends to react belatedly but he does come with a good argument, this is my house, why are you accusing me? Love JJ's reaction. He is is excited at the thought of her being naked thus his hotness in subzero and he wants to protect her from a house full of men, himself included???, however he says she is lucky it is him and starts making sudden rules to everyone. You find that in order to hide his possessiveness and jealousy, he makes rules e.g. no short skirts, no going out after 8 pm, etc. JJ is hilarious that he doesn't realize that he likes SC and is possessive. LMH does that well.

Then he tries to deny he likes her when she asks him outright. She learnt a lot from the merman and get get answers while being sly especially to Shi Ah. She is still very naive and takes everything literally but she is a quick learner. I like how she is so upfront with JJ. When will you like me?  Do you have a plan to like me.

I like the scene where SC sticks to JJ and wants to go to the library, at first he balks but when he realizes she will be alone with

Tae Ho, his possessiveness takes over and he agrees  to let her come with him. He is funny when he claims that the note says that person at the library likes him and SC wants to cat scratch her. :D He smiles when she says she likes whispering to him. Her directness is so appealing. Dam Ryong finds out through his dream that he has 20 days to live. Nooo.. that is terrible!

When JJ seriously hurt but more worried that SC is sick finally admits that he cares for her especially when he hears that she plans to leave. Don't leave me, I have a plan to love you. Aww so sweet.

I wish that LMH did not have to wear so much lipstick makeup, do they have to make them wear lipstick?  I have seen some shows where the men don't do it or it is very light.

Hi CallieP & gtLmh, really? LMH has no religion?

Spoiler

You know, this is the same case as RAIN before he got married. His religion was his Mom (deceased). But, when he got married to KTH, he became Catholic.

Spoiler

This is common in SK saying they are not affiliated with a religion.  Religion in South Korea has been characterized by a rise of Christianity and a revival of Buddhism, though the majority of South Koreans have no religious affiliation. South Koreans are too wrapped up in a demanding education system and job market to spend much time on religious activities.  <_<

• Like 2

12 hours ago, willenette said:

I made a similar comment awhile ago. His lip coloring is quite heavy in LOTBS. I think it must be his personal choice. He's so famous that I'm sure he can do whatever he wants in terms of makeup!  I do think he has almost perfect lips and probably wears more lip color to emphasize them.

He doesn't wear much lip color at all in GB but that was a much more realistic film.

These are just my speculations based on what I've seen in his work.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MsDot2 said:

I made a similar comment awhile ago. His lip coloring is quite heavy in LOTBS. I think it must be his personal choice. He's so famous that I'm sure he can do whatever he wants in terms of makeup!  I do think he has almost perfect lips and probably wears more lip color to emphasize them.

He doesn't wear much lip color at all in GB but that was a much more realistic film.

These are just my speculations based on what I've seen in his work.

Hi MsDot,  I guess it's not only in LOTBS, I also noticed that in some scenes in "Heirs". Kim Woo Bin too. A softer colour, but considering he’s supposed to be a “bad, tough boy” there, how can you take him seriously? hahaha - Of course ALL actors all over the world, male included, have to wear makeup including lipstick. But it’s made to look as if it’s their natural lip colour. Interestingly, Korean male celebrities wear lipstick normally, whereas females wear it only on parts of the lips, and it’s never that dark. Some of them wear more makeup than their female partners on screen.   K-pop is about glamour, pop, dance and flashy clothes, therefore the stage make-up for both male and female singers have to be strong and therefore the male idols (K-pop singers) started to wear eyeliner, eyeshadow and lipsticks too as they are after all performing. As time goes by, because it looks nice and everybody does it, the gender stereotypes are broken and now men wearing makeup in both K-pop and in Korea is slowly becoming a norm. Filters are also used in dramas. South Korea is also noted to be a very appearance-conscious society. Every man in Seoul walks around with a full face of make-up. In Myeong-dong it's common to see men walking around with foundation. Male idols are plastered on billboards in Seoul hawking products like face masks and moisturizers. Companies are actively hiring men to sell women make-up products. That's a common sentiment across Seoul. People really care about how they look and how they come off to the world - both men and women. Most of the time the make-up artist plays a big part in actors looks in the drama/movie.  In every dramas/movies there's always part of a make-up design team to depend on....based on the nature of your role. ... :P

13 hours ago, syntyche said:

LMH IG Update!

He did a scheduled campaign video shooting today :)

Hi syntyche, thanks for sharing this. :D

• Like 2