Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

2 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

They announce drama with LMH's name. How can Hansu background? Even he is İN book background, apparently Hansu will be main character in drama 

yes he will be!! LMH will be filming for 7 months!! I’m sure Hansu will be the main character. 

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

Speaking of Hansu and Sunja, on the contrary to what others may think, I am kind of feeling sympathic towards both of them. 

Sunja, being a poor girl in the society that was so traditional and treated women as merely tools (her mom said girls needed to please their husband in sex life and it was what they wanted), had not much choices. Even if she did not love Isak the way she loved Hansu, she still chose to marry him due to the circumstances and remained loyal to him throughout the book. However, her longing for Hansu did not disappear even at the end of the series. She still dreamed of their little time being together. She could choose to be his mistress but she couldn’t. Being his mistress was actually an excellent choice for her, but sometimes when you loved a person so deeply, you just couldn’t share it with anyone, in spite of whatever reasons that should come into comprehension.

As for Hansu, I think what he did in the book was reasonable. He was a gangster, not a good person to being with, and in his world, due to his status, he had so many women and girls. His marriage, which was obvious, was not one that based on love and affection, but rather a marriage with implications. He loved Sunja, no doubt, but there were also obligations that he could not shake away. I wonder if Sunja and Hansu ended up together when they were Japan, would his wife find out? It’s a matter of going to clubs for pretty girls, but it’s another matter to build another family. Would Sunja safety be threatened? Hansu proposed once his wife was dead during a funeral. Who would propose in a funeral? If he was not so urgent and eager to do so, would he choose such a timing?

The book is over 500 pages and I don’t think everything would be depicted with so many details in the series. There are so many plots in the book that the director can choose to focus on any of them and still make a good story. As we still don’t know who the older version of Sunja would be, and there is no news about Isak and Noa, I think most probably this series would not focus so much on their romance but rather on the struggles faced by the immigrants. When you search for the book review online , most of them focused on the historical part of the novel and identity issues too. I do hope the series is on this track as well. Otherwise there would be of not much difference than the series that LMH made before.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

So I googled about film adaptations lol :lol:  I see some Minoz say that Sunja will be the main character and some others including me think that Hansu will be the main character and that they will make a lot of changes.  

I found one amazing quote :relieved:  “For better or worse, these movie adaptations strayed a little too far from their source material, and ended up looking completely different.” 

Spoiler

Book is book, if people want the story from Sunja POV then they should just read the book. Drama is different! :relieved: 

https://screenrant.com/movie-adaptations-completely-different-from-books-big-changes/

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Yes, but what I’m trying to say is, plenty of actors in Game of Thrones had equal screen time. It doesn’t take away from the other characters. I can also argue that Cersei was a protagonist, she played a huge character. We shouldn’t expect that just because he is our Lee Min Ho, he should be the main character and get the most screen time. I’m happy because he is apart of this project and will be happy for him regardless. Why I’m even bringing this up is because I get the feeling some will not be happy if the story doesn’t revolve around him. But shouldn’t we all just be happy for him because this is a great opportunity?

Unless this is a show like “You,” there won’t be one character who takes up more than half the screen time. And I’m saying, this is NOT “You.” This is like game of thrones where there are multiple protagonists and it is absolutely fine!

This is not game of thrones tho. So we shouldn't assume that we find ourselves in a game of throne series. If I am honest with you Cersei was not the protagonist she was the antagonist and obviously she has a bigger arc then supporting roles. 

But no the Game of thrones had two clear cut protagonists in the Dragon girl and John Snow. The rest were just fillers, supporting, antagonists etc etc. The only thing he did different was making sure both protagonists don't win. 

In every single story there is a protagonist and if a director or writer went with a story without a protagonist it would be called a mess immediately or a joke. ppl would go confusing what am I reading or watching.

These stories you mentioned where you said it's more story driven and to be honest with you it's something you felt individually but the actors performing were being watched closely and some of them got nod's and they were just doing well to make you feel that way

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, CallieP said:

Dexter, yes somewhat. He is an interesting character. It was interesting to see how he got out of a situation.  Game of Thrones, I did not find a lead that stood out.  I like the story as a whole and it was different. Maybe the dwarf was my favorite, Peter Dinkler.  I hated Rick and I only watched a few episodes. I don't like zombies but I did like Steven Yoon a little but not enough to want to watch it.

@scrawford you echoed everything I was feeling.  Agree with what you wrote. He may be prominent in 3 or so episodes and just popping in and out the rest of the series. That was my feeling by just reading Wikipedia.  I have not read the book.

Also my impression of Koh Hansu is not good.  Many want him to play villainous so this is a good one.  In GB, he is a gangster, violent and brutal but he is still in his heart a decent person who just wants a better life for his adopted family.  He is fiercely loyal.

It will be a challenging role for LMH and I have a feeling many of his young fans who liked him in King and Heirs or Faith might not appreciate this as much.  If he nails it, he may have a more mature audience but not the younger ones who look for a romantic hero like Choi Young.  Hope this solidifies him as an actor that can win film awards.  Fingers crossed. Fighting LMH!

after all this waiting and LMH filming for 7 months, he maybe prominent in only 3 or so Episodes. Really? :bawling:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

after all this waiting and LMH filming for 7 months, he maybe prominent in only 3 or so Episodes. Really? :bawling:

It's 8 episodes with two big arcs? One taking place in the past and one in the future. divide by two halves. As you may know this is not gonna be 16 episodes with 70mins that is just unnecessary. You can get things done in shorter time where there is no need for some empty fillers in order to make a serious acclaimed project.  LMH will have plenty of time there is nothing to worry about this much is certain

• Like 9

1 minute ago, leeminhosny said:

I don't want spoiler so I didn't read book but I already learnt eveything I hope everyone will use "spoiler " while talking about book 

It's not gonna be literal translation from the book but loosely based on it as an adaption

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Narine Joa said:

This is not game of thrones tho. So we shouldn't assume that we find ourselves in a game of throne series. If I am honest with you Cersei was not the protagonist she was the antagonist and obviously she has a bigger arc then supporting roles. 

But no the Game of thrones had two clear cut protagonists in the Dragon girl and John Snow. The rest were just fillers, supporting, antagonists etc etc. The only thing he did different was making sure both protagonists don't win. 

In every single story there is a protagonist and if a director or writer went with a story without a protagonist it would be called a mess immediately or a joke. ppl would go confusing what am I reading or watching.

These stories you mentioned where you said it's more story driven and to be honest with you it's something you felt individually but the actors performing were being watched closely and some of them got nod's and they were just doing well to make you feel that way

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. The main protagonist of Pachinko is Sunja and I hope no one will be unhappy or upset at lmh’s decision to accept if he has less screentime than her. I’m saying he can shine even if the story does not revolve solely around him. Likewise, multiple characters in GOT shined.

I’ll be honest, I’m ok even if he plays a smaller part. Like I said previously, it depends on how they want to execute the story. If they choose to follow the story strictly then expect to see less of lmh. That’s why I’m bringing up the possibility of the route where they choose to flesh out multiple characters. I understand there may be one or two main protagonists but the screentime will most definitely be split across multiple characters unlike in Korean dramas where most screentime is given to the main leading man and lady. 

In my opinion less screentime doesn’t mean less impactful. I believe this is a great project regardless of whether he will have more or equal screentime as Sunja. And yes, I said the quality of story matters but that doesn’t mean the actors and individuals characters don’t. Characters together with their individual arcs are the basic building blocks for a good story. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

This is a great casting for Lee Min Ho to explore different things. He should be able to get nod or even win which I believe he deserves if it gets the reception with the critics on Rotten tomato but they are generally good at times political tho but mostly good. I think Hansu can land him the awards most certainly since his a conflicting character if the reception is good.

15 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. The main protagonist of Pachinko is Sunja and I hope no one will be unhappy or upset at lmh’s decision to accept if he has less screentime than her. I’m saying he can shine even if the story does not revolve solely around him. Likewise, multiple characters in GOT shined.

I’ll be honest, I’m ok even if he plays a smaller part. Like I said previously, it depends on how they want to execute the story. If they choose to follow the story strictly then expect to see less of lmh. That’s why I’m bringing up the possibility of the route where they choose to flesh out multiple characters. I understand there may be one or two main protagonists but the screentime will most definitely be split across multiple characters unlike in Korean dramas where most screentime is given to the main leading man and lady. 

In my opinion less screentime doesn’t mean less impactful. I believe this is a great project regardless of whether he will have more or equal screentime as Sunja. And yes, I said the quality of story matters but that doesn’t mean the actors and individuals characters don’t. Characters together with their individual arcs are the basic building blocks for a good story. 

As right now we know for sure that Isak and Noa will take supporting roles because they were not announced as the big casting for this.. So this tells us already that this is an adaption and honestly I won't even say that Sunja will have more screen time then Hansu, Solomon or Naomi. Sunja is not in Canada first of all. This is an adaption we don't know how the screening time will be split but all we know is that this is gonna be Hanju-Sanju centric where Isak and Noa gets axed to supporting. I assume Solomon to get equally arc as Hanju-Sanju in the North American part. 

Everyone who read this from the beginning understood how this is being filmed is obviously different from Kdramas since it's first of all 8 episodes and second of all we have two generations of families that needs to be fitted into one drama so it's obviously understanding that they would make them fit in together somehow spliting things between the 6 leads the production cast already 

• Like 10

:heart:  Well said!

3 hours ago, Flloy House said:

He also has the right amount of coolness and flashiness that goes with it which makes it easy for him to execute such roles and he also has the menacing figure and height for it couple with his penetrating eyes his a wall and domineering male presence  

LMH can win parts with his eyes alone.  :love:

4f78c4b17d763887488598b0c40618fe5fb92637

Hansu:

"More black than brown, his dark eyes absorbed light like a long tunnel, and when he looked at her, she felt an uncomfortable sensation in her stomach." 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 4

4 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

Hansu:

"More black than brown, his dark eyes absorbed light like a long tunnel, and when he looked at her, she felt an uncomfortable sensation in her stomach." 

If Anything, i would really like for them to bring this scene to life. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

5 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

:heart:  Well said!

LMH can win parts with his eyes alone.  :love:

Hansu:

One of my favorite scenes! 

This is not about Hansu but Lmh’s stare definitely gives me a sensation in my stomach :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, Nikaa94 said:

c’mon, did this writer have to go to such extents? :unamused: Are they going to show the beating scene ? 

Hopefully LMH has Already read the scripts and knows how important his role will be. I worry about LMH all the time. :bawling: But He always chooses his projects so well. 

Chingu, i haven't gotten to this part of the book yet, but... according to the writer, as hard as it was for her to write this part, it was needed to show the depth of Hansu's character and what being tied to Yakuja has done to him. 

I don't know what will and will not be included in the drama, but.... this might be his low moment in the book. He is being introduce as this casanova type, but deep down i think* he is deeply wounded. And Being tied to yakuja definitely added the violence in him.

Those who finish the book might correct me if im wrong. 

It's no dreamy role for sure but might be the right role for his career. I can't wait to see him transformed into Hansu, just like i was anxious to see him as lee gon

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, scrawford said:

Chingu, i haven't gotten to this part of the book yet, but... according to the writer, as hard as it was for her to write this part, it was needed to show the depth of Hansu's character and what being tied to Yakuja has done to him. 

I don't know what will and will not be included in the drama, but.... this might be his low moment in the book. He is being introduce as this casanova type, but deep down i think* he is deeply wounded. And Being tied to yakuja definitely added the violence in him.

Those who finish the book might correct me if im wrong. 

It's no dreamy role for sure but might be the right role for his career. I can't wait to see him transformed into Hansu, just like i was anxious to see him as lee gon

What page are you on?