Kim Dong Wan 김동완 - the singer

hkana

So it's the 4th in Korea, and DW's single has been released on-line. Obviously being the impatient person I am (and always itching for new DW music), I downloaded it. And then proceeded to tear up. I can't even begin to describe how lovely it is, how utterly perfect it is as a "see you later" kind of gift for the fans. I translated the DW-narrated intro and give a mini-review below. I highly recommend listening to them before reading, however, (I think somebody uploaded them on youtube), because you just have to experience how evocative his voice is. *just bliss*

01-Intro:

(Sounds of airplanes)

Female voice: 1st message

DW: It’s me. I’m about to leave right now.

Now if you call me I won’t be able to pick up.

When the first snow comes, just in case you send me a text because I’m not there, don’t wait for a reply.

On Christmas day, if you’re lonely, don’t drink and cry.

On the first day of 2009, the first day of 2010, I’m sorry I can’t be with you.

Go on like it’s nothing.

Just think that I’m gone, like it’s nothing.

You had asked me, “Are you okay?”

Yup, I’m okay.

With the exception of how much I miss you right now.

(I freakin love the creativity of this. GAH)

02-Promise:

I really enjoy listening to Dongwan's voice with female singers (Byul, Jade, He Jie), but hands down, "Promise" is my favorite. Not just because it's my favorite male k-singer and favorite female k-singer (okay, so I'm a little biased) - their voices complement each other in such a lovely way (as first shown by their "Something Stupid" duet on "Chocolate"). They both have the ability to simultaneously combine sweetness and power in their singing and in my opinion, their voices can evoke everything the song is about, which is why even if you don't understand the lyrics, you can feel what they mean. That's why I think I can continuously listen to and fall in love with anything DW sings, even if it's not a particular genre I like. He just has a vocal tone, a unique way of using it, that I just don't get sick of. And I love that it's Younha singing with him not only b/c she's so talented, but because she herself was and is a Dongwan fan - there's a beautiful sort of sentimentality to it no? My only complaint (which is always my complaint with his duets) is that I wish there was more harmonization. It's always DW sings, the other person sings, and then they have a little part of their at the end where their voices converse and harmonize with each other, which is the best part.

03-Can't Get Over:

Okay. I really don't cry when listening to music. I was okay for the first two tracks, but then I got to this one and started tearing up. I remember someone in the Shinhwa thread describing DW's voice in their "Destiny of Love" song as (I'm totally paraphrasing) being trapped in a box, like you want to catch it but can't. That's the only way I can describe his voice in this song (which probably doesn't even make sense). In the beginning it almost sounds like his voice is gonna cut off because he's singing it so softly and in a lower range. And then it just builds in volume and power. I just envisioned him in the recording booth, just him and the piano, singing with no stopping or edits. And THEN I envisioned him performing this while he plays the piano (he needs to fulfill this fantasy LIVE at some point). I just love raw, unadorned songs like this - just his voice and a simple piano medley (NEED sheet music for this...although if I was a bit more musical and patient, I could probably figure it out by ear...it's so very lovely).

Now with the addition of more musical programs in his schedule, I'm wondering if Younha will be singing with him for all or any of them OR if he's just going to sing it by himself straight through. Hmmmm...either way, soo looking forward to this DW-packed week. :D

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 80slitenite

Ahhh the fourth is here.^^ I haven't heard the album yet, but I've heard only good compliments about it.

I wish you a lot of success on your project worldtraveler58! It sounds like an amazing project! I'll definetly be visiting your site often. I still don't know much about DW especially in the earlier days of Shinhwa. For now all I can say is thank you so much.

I didn't read your reviews yet of the songs cuz I wanted to hear the songs first. I think I'll listen to them tomorrow. I don't feel that well today. lol.

Ah! But I will say this, Intro explains #68 <Man A, Woman B> Very clever Dongwan.

Guest ADORE.you

worldtraveler58;

Thanks for sharing the translations of the intro to the single. It really was touching, you can't help but think wow, they really are going to serve their military duties.

Dongwan really has a way with words. I highly doubt that whoever else listened to the intro didn't feel their heart stop or catch a hitch in their breath - because i sure did.

Ahh, Dongwan - i hope you go and come back safely! Join good old Eric :)

Here's the MV to "Promise": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLWafi6KkU

Obviously he didn't have the time to make a real MV, but I really like this - clips of them in the studio and sort of a tribute to his two years as a solo singer from his solo videos (except "Secret" - I guess the MV is a little too flashy for this)

Here's the Hangul of the songs. Credits to Ocean's Six:

01-Intro

(첫 번째 메시지 입니다.)

나야. 지금 가려고. 이제 전화해도 못 받을 거다. 첫눈 오는 날 나 없는데 괜히 문자 보내고 답장같은 거 기다리지 말고, 크리스마스날 또 우울하다고 술먹고 그러면 안된다. .... 2009년 첫 날도 2010년 첫 날도 같이 있어주지 못해 미안해. 아무렇지 않게 지내. 그냥.. 나 없다고 생각하고 그냥 아무렇지 않게. 니가 그랬지 나 괜찮냐고. 응 괜찮아. 지금.. 좀 니가 보고 싶은 거 빼곤.

02-약속

아무말도 못하고 시간만 또 흐르고

예쁜 두 눈에 눈물이 흐르고

정말 괜찮겠냐며 너를 다시 안았어

울어버리면 난 어떻게 하라고

너를 볼 낯이 없어 그저 받기만 해서

나는 또 이토록 후회뿐이어서

곁에 니가 있을 때 잘해줄걸 그랬어

제발 울지 말아줘 아파하지 말아줘

미안하단 말 말고 힘들다는 말 말고

그저 난 고맙단 그 말이 하고 싶은데

시간이 많이 흘러서 우리가 다시 만나면

그땐 헤어지는 일 우리가 이별하는 일 없을거야

아냐 나는 괜찮아 니가 걱정일뿐야

아프지는 말고 밥 잘 챙겨먹고

내가 곁에 없어도 너는 꼭 잘 지내야 돼

그것만 약속해줘 나를 위해 웃어줘

사랑한단 말 대신 고맙다는 말 대신

꼭 돌아온다는 그 말이 듣고 싶은데

시간이 많이 흘러서 우리가 다시 만나면

그땐 헤어지는 일 우리가 이별하는 일 없을거야

너무 많이 보고 싶을 땐 그땐 내가 어떡해야 하는지

네 목소리 얼굴이 향기가 이렇게 내게 남아서

나를 이렇게 울리는데

너무 보고 싶어도 너무 그리워져도

너무 힘들단 말 그 말은 우리 하지마

날 많이 사랑해준 너 날 행복하게 해준 너

내겐 운명 같았어 내겐 기적이었어 우린

03-못잊어

내 맘을 모르고 몰라도 어떻게 이럴수가 있니

어떻게 나를 떠날 수가 있니

한동안 난 몰랐어 널 못잊어 하는

내 모든것들이 날 괴롭혀 널 돌려달라고

널 사랑한 마음과 너만 보던 두 눈은

낯선 이별 앞에서 조금씩 사라져가는데

이젠 나란 사람을 지워갈 너를 알기에

끝내 웃으며 보내 부디 행복하라고 말을 해

사랑해 널 부르고 소리쳐도 넌 몰라

내 옆에 없는 걸 빈자리만 날 울게하는 걸

널 사랑한 마음과 너만 보던 두 눈은

낯선 이별 앞에서 조금씩 사라져가는데

이젠 나란 사람을 지워갈 너를 알기에

끝내 웃으며 보내 부디 행복하라고

안돼 이러면 안돼 내겐 너 하나인데

자꾸 거짓말 해도 가슴이 말을 안들어

지워가는 날보다 사랑한 날이 많기에

너를 못잊겠다고 다시 돌아오라고 말을해

Guest jangneri

I listened to the single as well, and OMG.... IT IS LOVE. <3

When I listened to the Intro for the first time, I was also reading the translation.... and began crying. I cried when it got to the last part. I swear, he's not making his enlistment easy for me. T__T;

I love Promise! Dongwan with Younha, what's more to ask for? I'm so so so happy when Dongwan featured Younha for his single because I heart Younha! I think she's one of the best female kpop teen in the biz right now. She's uber talented and her voice rocks!

My only complaint (which is always my complaint with his duets) is that I wish there was more harmonization.

That's my only complaint too! Other than that, the song is lovely.

못잊어 is actually my favorite song in the single. When I was listening to it, I started to cry again. This song reminded me of the goosebumps I got when I first heard his part in Set Free and in Destiny of Love. It really got to me. I always thought Dongwan had one of the best voices in Kpop (though a bit underrated) and this song was another proof to that.

I'm still a bit sick and wasn't supposed to go online but there was a nagging feeling that I should. :D I'm glad I did because Dongwan's always a happy pill. (Though bittersweet at times)

For the MV, it would have been better if they just made a slideshow of pictures Dongwan had taken or pictures during his two album promotions... or pictures of the fans who sent in their photos for Dongwan's album. :D

Guest 80slitenite

I just finished dling SSP2. There will be more Dongwan and Junjin next week.^^

Poor Wannie kept cracking up while trying to sing 'Promise.' lol. I doubt that Younha hates him xD

I made some gifs. yay.

wanjinkook.gif

Best laugh and smile ever.^^ He saying Bravo. hehe

wanclapping.gif

[08.11.05][news] Kim Dongwan unveils new single on Sang Sang Plus

Kim Dongwan - who will be enlisting for military service in mid-November - unveils his goodbye album on KBS2's Sang Sang Plus.

Kim Dongwan shares his album with the fans over 2 episodes on Nov 4th and 11th. He has made the album in the style of a TV drama, and hopes that fans will not forget him while he's away.

Kim Dongwan also shared some interesting tidbits from the recording session with Younha for the title track Promise. When the MC asked him if he liked Younha, he joked, "I like Younha, but she hates me."

Kim Jong Kook who recently returned from the army also guests on the episodes, and more interesting exchanges between himself and Kim Dongwan can be expected.

Source: oceans

Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina

Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

^Gah, when he kept bursting into giggles, I was simultaneously giggling with him and swooning over how an almost-30 year old could be so adorably cute.

And he always says that so-and-so-female-celebrity hates him, lol. Oppa, Younha admitted to being your fan from your 1010 days, was a guest at your concert, and sung with you on your title track - I don't think those are signs of dislike. :P

[08.11.05][diary] Dongwan: Obama is handsome!

He resembles Denzel Washington~

"Malcolm X" comes to mind~ㅎㅎㅎ

source: november21.co.kr

translation: G (alwaysforever)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh oppa, kekeke...America has elected its first black president, is FINALLY going to end these 8 years of misery, and Wannie comments on how good-looking he is, lol. But I guess he's been glued to the TV set like I have? I'm always amazed at how in-tune the rest of the world is about the U.S, when Americans are so complacent about the rest of the world...

I do agree with him though...he is very handsome and I am honored to have been a part of history in the making by electing him. Yes we can!

And just as a fyi, Malcolum X refers to the movie that Denzel starred in.

Listening to his new single just makes me feel so sad, wish there was am upbeat songs to uplift my feeling =( Anyways, can't wait till the album comes out

Listening to his new songs, literally made me cry. Even track number 1. Especially track number 1.

Maybe it's because I've been feeling quite sad these past few days, but listening to his songs makes it even worse.

He's not making it easy for us to let him go for two years. :)

I like the song with Younha. Their voices sounded amazing together. The whole song is like a conversation between him and us, the fans, so, it's like Younha is representing the shinhwa changjos.

Guest fortuneteller

Listening to his new songs, literally made me cry. Even track number 1. Especially track number 1.

Maybe it's because I've been feeling quite sad these past few days, but listening to his songs makes it even worse.

He's not making it easy for us to let him go for two years. :)

I like the song with Younha. Their voices sounded amazing together. The whole song is like a conversation between him and us, the fans, so, it's like Younha is representing the shinhwa changjos.

yes, i have the same feeling when i read the eng trans . I really cry when listening his song duet with Younha.

About track 1, i thought if i had the same message from my bf, i'd cancel my flight just to come back to see him

Guest 80slitenite

The stage for MCountdown was just beautiful. I felt like crying watching this. Both of their voices are so lovely. Just a lovely perf. This song is just so nice.

[2008.11.06]Kim Dongwan ft. Younha - Promise Special Perf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSi5edxEaMI&fmt=18

Music Bank's perf was lovely of course. I love when he and Younha turn to sing at each other.

[2008.11.07]Kim Dongwan ft. Younha - Promise Special Perf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loyumq4-wxI

I made some gifs of Wannie's upcoming appearance on Star Golden Bell from a fancam in NAME.

Wannie and his pink mirror. Matches his outfit. XD

wanmirrorsgb.gifwandrinksgb.gif

dwsgbsleeping.gifdwsgbthumb.gif

Oppa with that tongue~ ai yai yai. XD

dwsgbtongue.gifdwsgbtongue2.gif

Here are caps from it. Cred as tagged.

1103_name.jpg

Guest 80slitenite

The pictures of the Promise single are out.^^

I see Shinhwa.biz's leader Kay!!! I'm so happy for her. I know there were like 4 more Bizzers who were selected too.

cred as tagged

1226104213_dwsingle1.jpg

1226104213_dwsingle2.jpg

1226104213_dwsingle3.jpg

I'm trying to dl DW's Music Core perf, but clubbox just isn't my friend. T_T

keke, did everyone get to catch the ep of Star Golden Bell yet? Watch for what Kim Jae Dong does to Wannie. I was crying from laughing so much.

Man, I always have to brace myself before watching a "Promise" performance b/c my heart feels like it's being squeezed. The song is so beautiful and Dongwan and Younha's lives are just super-perfect jjang!

Guest 80slitenite

^wahhh clubbox is killing me. I'm dying to see SGB!

Oh man he performed his last stage. TT_TT What to do...

[08.11.09][news] Kim Dongwan's Goodbye Stage at SBS-Nongshim Love Share Concert

Singer Kim Dongwan bade farewell to his fans at the SBS-Nongshim Love Share Concert on 9th Nov, as he performed his Goodbye Stage singing his latest single Promise, featuring Younha.

Kim Dongwan and Younha performed the duet, released on 4th Nov, and displayed a fine blend of their harmonious voices. The single is fast flying up the charts and is enjoying great popularity. The duet tells a story of a couple, despite being deeply in love, having to be separated against their wishes. The regretful and sorrowful emotions come through strongly from their performance, making the moment even more bittersweet.

According to Kim Dongwan's management company, Kim Dongwan's and Younha's voices complement each other very well, and the reason behind the single being named Promise, is simply Kim Dongwan's message to the fans before he enlists for military service on 17th Nov. Although it is a pity that the activities for the single weren't many, but Kim Dongwan promises to return to everyone in two years' time, with an even healthier and better image.

Source: BreakNews

Chi trans: fiona@ shinhwayeah

Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

omo. i just heard wannie's Promise last night. T.T i dunno. but i felt so emotional when i heard him sing. and then, he's entering the military soon! tsktsk. i didn't get his single yet. those fans were sooo lucky! i wished my pic was there too!

Guest 80slitenite

I finally finished watching SGB! Omg XDDDDDDD

I had to make this.

Omg who is that lady sitting on Wannie's lap?! Lucky girl!!!

[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g272/platinumtitan/Shinhwa/crazyjedongnwan1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g272/platinumtitan/Shinhwa/crazyjedongnwan2.gif[/img]
[/codebox]

XDDDDDDDDDDDD

Archived