Kim Dong Wan 김동완 - the singer

hkana

[News] Kim Dongwan, funnier because he didn’t sleep well

Kim Dongwan is indeed honest and cheerful. A representative good speaker from Shinhwa that makes you laugh out loud regardless of what he says.

Shinhwa’s Kim Dongwan and musical actress Kim Jiwoo appeared as guests on MBC FM4U ‘Two o’clock Date. It’s Park Kyunglim’ on 7 June. The two are working together in musical ‘Edgar Allan Poe’.

While explaining about the musical, Kim Donwan suddenly becamr shocked, and said, “Ah, that was a spoiler. Oh it’s not,” causing laughter early into the broadcast. When a listener asked Kim Jiwoo why she was so pretty when she is a mother, he said, “All mothers are pretty”, creating a heartwarming atmosphere. He also caused much laughter when a fan said she was writing her self-introduction when she started listening to the radio and he replied, “Switch off the radio. Your self-introduction is the important thing. Are you out of your mind?” When Park Kyunglim laughed at Kim Dongwan’s replies, he said, “It’s because I didn’t sleep well.”

Kim Jiwoo revealed she was surprised by Kim Dongwan’s singing abilities. Kim Dongwan said, “It’s because Shin Hyesung is Shinhwa’s main vocalist,” and jokingly added, “Shinhwa is Shin Hyesung. ‘Shinhwa’ also came from Shin Hyesung’s name.” When Park Kyunglim and Kim Jiwoo praised Kim Dongwan, he said, “The mood here today is great. Will you continue to make me feel good?” Kim Dongwan caused laughter when he added, “I’m sorry, Raymond Kim (Kim Jiwoo’s husband) after talking about Kim Jiwoo.

Kim Dongwan also showed his continued closeness with the Shinhwa members. Kim Dongwan said, “I lose my concentration the moment I see the members’ faces. I really hope they wouldn’t come and watch my musical.” And when it was said it’d be interesting to see all 5 members seated together, he said, “Hyesung often comes without telling you beforehand. He watches with his cap pulled all the way down to his nose. I only see him. My members, please don’t come.”

Also, regarding Sechs Kies’s Eun Jiwon saying he saw the Shinhwa members fighting near MBC, he said, “Well, we fought quite often. We’ve even been stopped by the director. I said, “What’s with this ahjussi”, then apologized. I’ve fought with every member. Over small matters. But I think that’s our secret to longevity.”

Kim Dongwan revealed he plans to climb the Himalayas next year with his friends. He wanted to go this year but delayed it as the weather made it dangerous. Kim Dongwan said, “Representatives of outdoor brands, we have a very impressive project. What do you think about joining us?” When it was said it seemed like Kim Dongwan often tried new things, he replied, “Because I’m not in my right mind.”

The broadcast continued on with stories of Kim Dongwan’s nosiness. Kim Dongwan said, “It is true I’m very nosy. Before Kim Yuna got her gold medal, I thought she looked like she needed treatment so I asked a reporter I know to pass her a message. That I, as a Korean citizen and a fan, am really worried.”

Kim Dongwan also said, “There was a family discussing whether to get 2 eels or 3 for 2 minutes. As I was listening, I couldn’t stand it and told them to get 2. The father later thanked me, saying getting 2 was the right choice.” 

At the end, when Kim Dongwan was asked the advantages of living alone, he said, “There isn’t any. Live with someone else. If you’re not married, it’s fine even if you live with someone else. It seems like the Shinhwa members can’t get married anyway so I thought about what if we lived together. I think I have to be the one living with Hyesung.”

sr: Newsen
Translation by malpabo.tumblr.com

• Like 4

@*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* Thanks for posting the article :wub: How have you been? ^^

Aww he said he could see HS with cap, and he wished none of the members came to watch, then of course they had to come LOL! 

I really like this radio guesting, PKL is such a perfect MC/host for DW and it's nice to see him smiling :wub:

• Like 1

@hkana I agree!!! I feel like PKL seems to adore Shinhwa whenever I watch/read her MCing Shinhwa things or maybe I just have a biased view since she MCed their 14th anni comeback conference ^_^ HAHAHAH I KNOW RIGHT!! Complaining is practically inviting the members to come watch him HAHAHAH but I'm glad that some of the members made the effort and time out of their busy schedules to go watch; so sweet. I've been okay!  :) just been doing non-fangirling stuff :( how are you?? What have you been up to? I see you've changed your avatar while I've been MIA HAHAHAH

Musical “Edgar Allan Poe” Kim Dong Wan on Instagram

kdwfanpage:

Kim Dong Wan together with I Live Alone’s PDnim

Original post by biblejeon on June 18, 2016

Kim Dong Wan together with SPICA’s member Yang Ji Won

Dong Wan oppa still made a nice performance and talked with us even his throat hurts. He’s awasome!!!  #EdgarAllanPoe #KimDongWanJjang #ShinhwaJjang 

Original post by Yang Ji Won on June 18, 2016 trans by Spica_tweets

Kim Dong Wan together with Yoga’s Instructor Yoon Jeong

Shinhwachangjo ShinhwaSan Dongwan Oppa Hurray

#Shinhwa #Shinhwasan #KimDongWan #EdgarAllanPoe #WingsOfEagles #Selstagram #Selfiegram #Selfie #Musical #MusicalStagram #Dailylife #Weekend #Performance

Original post by luckysyj on June 19, 2016

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MOD EDIT: DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES!!!

[Interview] Singles June issue - Kim Dongwan’s Elevator

Kim Dongwan is not afraid of transformation. It is the same with showing his private life honestly. In the building of Life where each floor is filled with different characters, he excitedly presses the buttons and smoothly moves between floors.

When you ride the elevator, you are surrounded by a variety of people. You see familiar faces, and there are times where a stranger stands next to you. Sometimes someone who arouses your curiosity would stand in front of you. There are also days where you have a large elevator all to yourself. On those days, you can comfortably lean your tired body against the elevator walls or straighten your clothes while looking in the mirror. Kim Dongwan has been riding a variety of elevators for the 19th year. Very often he moves alone but he mostly moves together with the other five members of Shinhwa. Most recently, he is in an elevator together with Choi Jaerim, Michael Lee, Jung Sangyoon etc. The actors who are practicing musical “Edgar Allan Poe” with him.

“I tend to get a lot of help from the other actors whenever I’m preparing for a production. Instead of hiding the areas I’m lacking in, I show everything I have then get their opinions. I had lots of drinking sessions using that as an excuse.” Kim Dongwan’s preparation process is quite long, to the extent that he says, “It takes me a long time to start”. He will read the script, listen to the songs while asking “Why?”. “In school, I was scolded by my teacher for asking too many questions.” His questions don’t stop, not till he has resolved all his questions on the production, and they flow smoothly into his acting. His concerns about “Edgar Allan Poe” only ended a mere 3 weeks before the first performance. All the other actors say they have completed the practice for their lines but that was the time when Kim Dongwan really got started.

Wouldn’t he be anxious? “The start is difficult but because I prepare thoroughly, the process and result tends to be rather good. I received a lot of advice on singing, vocalization and acting from the actors performing with me this time round too.” Perhaps it’s because he has been in this field for almost 20 years? There is a sense of ease that is in Kim Dongwan’s expression and speech. As it has been one and a half years after “Hedwig”, when he last stepped onto a musical stage, it’s normal that he would be nervous. He doesn’t take long to show his true feelings. “Once all the actors gathered together to practice, the sense of excitement immediately turned into worry. Choi Jaerim doesn’t even look at the script during practice but I can’t even take my eyes off it. I always feel a lot of stress when the actors come together. On top of that, all the songs are rather difficult.”

For more than a year, Kim Dongwan has been appearing in “I Live Alone”, and showed his diligent side. The image of him as a man who is physically and mentally healthy does not fit with the American writer Edgar Allan Poe that he will be acting as. Famous for novels like “The Black Cat”, “The Fall of the House of Usher” etc, he led a life of poverty, was plagued by nervous breakdowns and sadly died on the streets despite being a genius. “I can’t just portray characters that are similar to me. Perhaps even the image made of me through ‘I Live Alone’ is just that, an image. He is a character with parts that are difficult to understand but still, Edgar Allan Poe is a real-life character.” Kim Dongwan did not make the mistake of being engrossed only in reading the works Edgar Allan Poe left behind in order to understand him.

“I thought about his unfortunate life. Whatever he experienced, I try to experience them too, even if it can only be a similar one.” Kim Dongwan places importance on experiences. It is the same with being in a relationship. But that doesn’t mean he dates any and everyone. “After being in a relationship, you can find new merits to that person.” Kim Dongwan first wants to meet a woman who he can share his hobbies with. “Even with friends, you need to have similar interests to meet often. I think if it’s a woman with similar hobbies, I can enjoyably live with her for the rest of my life, like a friend.” The hobby he is interested in recently is mountain climbing. He recently came back from a visit to Annapurna in the Himalayas. Although he suffered much due to altitude sickness, he says he still cannot forget the view. “If we can enjoy going to the mountains together, then one day we will be married with kids and living a happy life, won’t we?”

But Kim Dongwan looks too busy to be dating. He not only has his soloist activities but also Shinhwa’s, as well as acting in dramas, musicals or movies. And he also has a lot of hobbies that he enjoys. After “Edgar Allan Poe” performances, he will be participating in a cycling event in Canada. “It’s an event called ‘GranFondo’. You ride on the mountains trails on a bicycle for about 140km. Completing it is my goal.” He is so busy, will he have time to date? He replied with a smile. “I manage just fine.” After appearing in “I Live Alone”, people see Kim Dongwan as an ‘upright young man’. He says, “That is such a big mistake that it is a burden. I am already 38 years old, is it possible to only be innocent? Hehehe.” It is the same for the diligent and earnest image shown on TV.

“I’m not diligent, just a busy man. Diligent people continuously work hard from start to end. But because I’m a slow-starter, I start out slow. And that’s why I can’t help but be busy at the end. It just looks like I’m being diligent.” He isn’t being humble. It is an objective analysis of himself. “Being able to continuously promote for 18 years, instead of hard work, it was mostly due to luck. Soloist, actor, etc, I was rather successful in them and able to earn quite a lot from it. That too is due to luck.” Isn’t luck a skill too? “When people watch a drama, they don’t think about the production on the whole. They remember a memorable scene, and judge an actor based on that. I think I have the skill to do really well in that one scene. I unknowingly get absorbed in it and become another person. I am surprised when I monitor my performance too. But now, I can’t just rely on one technique. I really need to build up my competence.” After listening to Kim Dongwan, it became clear why he has been living alone up till now. “Yes. I only have worries about my self, which is why I don’t have time to date. I should worry more about love.”

Shinhwa held their 18th anniversary concert a while back. On their 20th anniversary, he would be 40 years old. “To be honest, not too long ago, I was still thinking that I should get married before I’m 40 years old. But now there’s just two years left. I could make a mistake if I hurry. And I can’t think about other things before I go into a production.” But despite so, Kim Dongwan doesn’t stop thinking about how to make a better world. He isn’t afraid to openly express his own opinions on issues that are socially sensitive. Not too long ago, he uploaded a video urging people to join in a boycott to support the humidifier sterilizer victims.

He didn’t avoid acting as Lee Yuksa, which might have resulted in problems in his Japan promotions. After the drama aired, he has continuously donated to comfort women. “It isn’t difficult to express the anger you felt when watching the news. Sometimes I think if I should more actively make a stand but when I think about Shinhwa’s promotions or the other members, that becomes something that isn’t easy to do. I will support those who work hard to try to change the world.”

After talking to Kim Dongwan, it doesn’t seem like the upright young man image is simply just a misunderstanding. Doesn’t he have a personal wish? “I have been thinking a lot about ‘maintaining staus quo’ recently. They always say it is the hardest to protect something. I am not saying I will be content with reality, I just hope that everything, from actor Kim Dongwan to soloist Kim Dongwan and even Shinhwa, can maintain the way they are.” The elevator doesn’t just stop at one place. The elevator moves according to the button pressed by its riders.

What Kim Dongwan hopes for is for the elevator to move smoothly for a long time and without any breakdowns. The elevator he is in can move up and can also move towards a lower floor. Because when it moves upwards, it will one day have to come down as that is the fate of the elevator. Kim Dongwan already knows that. He is just curious as to what is below, and what will be in his hands when he presses the elevator’s buttons again.

sr: Singles June
translation by malpabo.tumblr.com

Andddddd, he's got a new VLive up ^_^

• Like 3

@*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* Kyaaaa i'm sorry for replying so late! :( :tears: I've been busy and currently am away from home but I've been well, thank you :wub:

Thank you for posting the pictures and the article :wub: He looks so good in his white Poe shirt! 

As usual, I always have to read his interviews more than once to get better understanding of them.

I'll comment about one thing first, that I agree that a couple need to have at least one similar/the same hobby or interest So they can spend time doing it together :)

I miss you guys and I'll post more soon, so excited for the Oct Shinhwa's comeback! :D 

• Like 2

@hkana Don't worry :) no need to be sorry!! Totally understand. Life. I KNOW OCTOBERR IS SOOON :P finally.

I really like him in white lately x_x

shcjfrance:

tumblr_o9zps1W61J1tici12o4_250.jpgtumblr_o9zps1W61J1tici12o3_250.jpg

shcjfrance:

[160707] Dongwan - Edgar Allan Poe’s musical & After

Cr: on pics/owners | Please don’t edit fanpics
& don’t post them on Instagram

More here
Fancams playlist here

• Like 2

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o7_500.png

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o1_250.giftumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o6_250.gif

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o3_250.giftumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o5_250.gif

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o2_250.giftumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o4_250.gif

orangenisa:

Only Kim Dong Wan will nag at fans for supporting his activities

I understand Idols thanking fans for coming to their solo activities 

What I don’t understand is an idol scolding fans for coming to his activities. 

It makes me love him so much more xD I think he secretly knows this. Naggy Ahjussi.

tumblr_o9wo4xSCwt1r02hibo5_500.png

tumblr_o9wo4xSCwt1r02hibo6_500.png

tumblr_o9wo4xSCwt1r02hibo7_500.png
LOOOOL whyyy do I like this guyyy :wub:
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2016 at 4:25 PM, *.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* said:

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o7_500.png

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o1_250.giftumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o6_250.gif

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o3_250.giftumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o5_250.gif

tumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o2_250.giftumblr_o9u1qn0QlM1ulvbf8o4_250.gif

orangenisa:

Only Kim Dong Wan will nag at fans for supporting his activities

I understand Idols thanking fans for coming to their solo activities 

What I don’t understand is an idol scolding fans for coming to his activities. 

It makes me love him so much more xD I think he secretly knows this. Naggy Ahjussi.

tumblr_o9wo4xSCwt1r02hibo5_500.png

tumblr_o9wo4xSCwt1r02hibo6_500.png

LOOOOL whyyy do I like this guyyy :wub:

he carefully selects the roles he plays may it be movie, tv series, or musical. he looks for events or anything that is similar to him or experiences that is why he is so effective in portraying those characters.....he not only acts, he puts himself in that person. 

:heart::blush:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, *.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* said:

^ omg @czeree thanks for sharing!! Haven't seen that vid yet (I'm permanently behind HAHA)... Love it!!! If only the performance can be english subbed LOL, I would really love to go watch it.

shcjfrance:

welcome @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* !!!! looking forward to his ILA appearance again :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@czeree @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* Kyaaa!! How are you dear chingus! I miss you! I miss it here.  :bawling: 

Thank you for posting Oppayam's news :wub: LOL why did you nag at your fans for going to your musicals hahaha. This ahjussi, really XD

He shines when he's wearing white :) For Poe, he kept his eye makeup when meeting the fans outside, I love it ^^ It matched his messy hair :) 

AAAAHHHH sdfghjksdfghjkhgfdfghjhgfghjk the Wings of Eagles MV! I was blown away :w00t: He sings it really, really high for the MV. Wow how difficult it must be to keep singing in higher notes continously like that, it's amazing :wub: No wonder his fellow Poe cast praised his high notes.  And his acting :w00t::w00t: I agree, he is believable when he acts because he becomes that person.  I think that's why he usually takes a break after a project, to shake off the role he has just taken.

I have to go but I'll be back again! Argh it feels so great talking to you and talking about Oppayam again :) :wub::wub:

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_inline_oduv5f0Nbe1spcm04_500.jpg

[Tweet] 160920-21 CI Ent. Tweets

※ Tweet 1.

[#KimDongwan] Hyundai Card Curated 28: 2 Year Anniversary Memorial concert for the late #ShinHaechul

Date: 16. 10. 29 (Sat) 7PM
Place: Hyundai Card #Understage
Ticket Sales Open: 16. 09. 23 (Fri) 12PM
Notice: bit.ly/2di4EbM

※ Tweet 2.

TV Report - Shin Haechul memorial concert for 2 year anniversary to take place…Kim Dongwan, K.Will joins the lineup
bit.ly/2csMz9r

#Shinhwa #KimDongwan #ShinhwaChangjo #ShinHaechul #MemorialConcert

Source: CI Entertainment Twitter

-

160921-22 News Trends

Dongwan
- 1 mention in article about participation in Shin Haechul memorial concert
- 3 brief mentions in articles about Park Jinhee joining the anti-child abuse relay as previous participant

Trans. credit to Shinhwa Stuff

--

I'm super excited! :) 

I hope more people will watch his  V app with Poe music director Kim Sungsoo, it has many insight on the musical

part 1 http://www.vlive.tv/video/10812/김성수-음악감독님

part 2 http://www.vlive.tv/video/10813/김성수-음악감독님

part 2 5:07 The director's comment :

"Honestly speaking, when Dong Wan acts, there's something that makes the heart ache.

It aches in a mournful way. When you were performing a few days ago...

What was it... When Virginia was crying..
It's a secret, but because Virginia cried, I cried as well.

The orchestra also cried. That happened.

I think I tend to cry when you're acting."

:wub: :wub: 

Singing with guitar on his latest V apps :

지난날 in bali

사랑했디만.. in bali

사랑했디.. in bali

사랑했지만 feat.4G

baby

푸르게 상냥하게

His last one made to VPICK! :

http://www.vlive.tv/video/14515/KIM-DONG-WAN-지짜-푸르고-상냥한-뎅오빠얌-Kindly-DONG-WAN

It's so cute that even V app calls him Oppayam! Yes he is everyone's Oppayam :phew:

Even the caption says 'Deng Oppa so cute' hahaha. One of th admin must be a SHCJ, knows his nicknames XD 

This is so cute 

tumblr_oefzi5Gf931tt5hkeo1_540.gif

tumblr_oefzi5Gf931tt5hkeo2_400.jpg

tumblr_oefzi5Gf931tt5hkeo3_400.jpg

I should have posted this in February, but I’m too lazy and I kept piling all the screencaps from ILA. 
Remember Minwoo’s Elmo that fan gave in 2006? I didn’t watch 경제야 놀자 and I couldn’t find Dongwan’s cut on YT, but I read that Minwoo gave the Elmo to Dongwan. They showed the Elmo on 경제야 놀자 along with Dongwan’s other treasures in 2007. Back then Dongwan had Bumblebee too, I guess Kim Deng really loves Bumblebee. 
I’m glad that Dongwan still keep Minu’s Elmo after 10 years. My only question is why put Elmo in the dressing room? The only possible explanation that I can think of is Kim Deng asking Elmo what should he wear. Well, Minwoo is Shinhwa’s fashion leader, so……. 
If that is the case, Kim Deng ahhhh….lol. 
WooDong is love.

cr.  destinyoflove98 

-

Awww Woodong <3

I remember Minwoo said that Elmo was like DW.  Aww so he gave it to him. And he still keeps it aww again :D The gif is from :

https://youtu.be/L64JyksVWaI?t=2m57s